Selected quality, bright aromatic Virginia and rich, cool smoking burley tobaccos are blended to give an exquisite taste and aroma, enhanced by the finest Kentucky bourbon whiskey traditionally matured for over eight years to develop its full complex flavour. Serious yet dynamic, Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey has a unique, captivating taste and aroma. Infused with eight year old Kentucky Bourbon, it combines the natural flavour of the tobacco with a distinctive aroma that is both traditional and discreetly masculine.

Notes: Used to be Virginia and burley. Now is Virginia and black cavendish. The new pouch description relates: The Bourbon Whiskey recipe consists of 35% black cavendish from Africa, Europe and the Philippines mixed with 65% Virginia from Brazil and Africa. And as a final treat genuine Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey is added.

BrandBorkum Riff
Taste

1.7
Robdlouisville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robdlouisville (10)

I smoked this in the 1970's. Something changed and it turned to garbage in my opinion. So I dropped it. Back in the 1970's, it was both mine and my grandfather's favorite smoke. Today i bought a new pouch of Bourbon Whiskey mixture. Package is not the black and white but the new brown and beige color. It says Scandinavian Tobacco Group. This stuff changed back and it tastes like it did in the 1970's. It is smooth, great taste - not too overpowering, not too mild. Just a bit of the whiskey and a great flavor. Not too sweet, not sticky and goopy. I'm buying it up before another MBA genius thinks it's a good idea to ruin the taste in order to increase profits. hehehe. Buy some - it is very pleasant.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I'd never really considered Borkum Riff before, given the plethora of hardly complementary reviews on here for their offerings. However, a recent chat with a friend and discovering that Stephen King apparently smokes this stuff led me to try Bourbon Whiskey, just on the off chance that it might surprise me.

The gold and brown design of the packet, upon receipt, impressed me some, I'm not sure why, it's not something I normally notice much less comment on, but this looked contentedly well designed. The packet aroma upon opening is very nice, something mellow, possibly whiskey but doesn't obviously stand out as such. There's also something a little sweet in there, possibly vanilla. The tobacco itself is a fine ribbon strewn with blends of lighter and darker brown flecked with some odd hints of gold. Packing is easy and the lighting is much the same, this works easily on one light. Initial smokes were nice enough, much like the packet aroma, it's one of mild whiskey with hints of vanilla. As I have progressed down to the bottom of the packet, it has grown on me and now thoroughly enjoy it. This one does bite occasionally if pushed a little hard, but stepping off the throttle and smoking a little slower usually helps. One thing I've noticed with this is the way the smoke from bowl and mouth has a pleasant way of hanging around a little before drifting up and away as if it wants to enjoy being smoked a little longer.

I have to say, I have been bowled over by how much I've enjoyed this, it may not be the best tobacco out there but it's a hugely enjoyable smoke in it's own right. Sometimes it's hard not to sit back while smoking it and start thinking of Frannie Goldsmith's father in the Stand smoking some rendition of Borkum Riff in his garden as his daughter tells him she's pregnant. This is nowhere near that dramatic but that "Glow of Discovery" buzz phrase printed on the packet seems to fit admirably.

Pipe Used: Finlay's Laureate Knobby

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (29)

Ahh, Borkum Riff.

I'm old enough to actually remember when this tobacco was introduced to the US market and, oh boy, was it the whip! It quickly developed a very loyal following and I know men who have been smoking this tobcco since 1968 and will not budge from it.

It won't kill you to smoke this blend and it does have a very distinctive room note (you can immediately tell if a pipe smoker is puffing Borkum Riff) which is not unpleasant. There is absolutely no flavour of eight year-old Kentucky Bourbon whiskey at all; you're going to have to crack open a bottle of Wild Turkey to get that. This tobacco simply has no discernable taste. As other reviewers have also cautioned, you need to smoke this blend slowly to avoid t/b. Don't smoke this blend in your best pipes either.

Over the years, as tobacco blenders became more skillful and varied, more sophisticated blends began to proliferate in the marketplace. This reduced Borkum Riff to a common "drugstore" status in the pipe tobacco world but, as we all know, smokers of drugstore blends can be militantly loyal.

"Borkum Riff"? I don't know how that translates in English, if at all. "Bore'em Stiff" maybe? Smoke half a pouch and you'll probably throw the rest away.

DS86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DS86 (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Looks like I still have a bit to learn. The pouch I purchased says 65% Virginia, and 35% black Cavendish. Here, instead of black cavendish, it says Burley. I have smoked this tobacco in briars, about 3 times so far...

The more I smoke this blend, the more I like it. I like the amount of Virginia(65%), because it doesn't remind me of a lot of the black Cavendish heavy blends. In other words, it's not like other aromatics I've smoked. Virginias tend to bite me, but this one has enough black Cavendish(35%) to balance that out for me. Then again, not too much BC, IMHO. The tobacco proportions are just right, with a whiskey flavor that I would say compliments the Virginia, as opposed to being an in your face OTC casing, where the intensity is reminiscent of Captain Black Cherry, or some of the Super Value tobaccos. Tobacco Reviews.com made me avoid this blend for a while, but it is surprising to me the bad rep it gets. Me and this tobacco just get along.

Final thoughts: Without the amount of black Cavendish in this blend, I doubt Borkum Riff could have pulled this one off. The black Cavendish is there in the background as a mentor. A deceptively simple blend. I can't rate it just yet, but unless this tobacco disappears, I'm buying more. If you were disappointed by Highland Whiskey, try this blend instead. If you like Virginias, try it. If you want simplicity, try this blend.

For what it's worth: I like flakes, Latakia blends, Virginias, and am REALLY picky with aromatics. Aros seem to take more getting used to for me. My main smokes are Latakia blends. I've been smoking a pipe for about 3 years or so, and feel that I have a good enough grasp on taste to know what I like, whereas when I first started smoking, I thought Super Value Cherry Cavendish was the best blend in existence, just because I had one bowl, that included one puff of cherry turnover flavor. At that point in time, I think I had smoked no more than ten or 15 blends. I've lost count of all the blends I've tried now, but it's got to be at least 60. Maybe more. I'm only including this last bit to give an idea of what else I like, in hopes of helping you decide whether or not you should try this blend.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Orient, Erik Nording Jack

Age When Smoked: 6mos

Purchased From: Some tobacco shop in Grass Valley CA

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (20)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The pack tells me this is made from 35% Black Cavendish and 65% Virginian tobacco,and I really can't understand the negative comments. Nor can I understand those who say there is no whiskey taste, because there is. There was some bite at first but the smoke soon became mellow though full of taste and I enjoyed smoking this tobacco. So much so that I will be ordering another pouch with my next tobacco order. I don't think there's much of a room note which is why I've rated the after smell as Very Pleasant. It smoked really well with a cup of coffee and left me with a pleasing taste in my mouth.Good stuff.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

The whisky flavor is not as deep as the Bourbon Whiskey version, and weakens some after the half way point, exposing the dullness of the grassy Virginia and toasted, nutty burley. Has little nicotine. Burns fast, hot, and scorches the tongue even when puffed slowly. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. Hardly has much of an after taste outside of a little sweetness.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a taste of this concoction about a week ago; it was a complete desaster.

I felt I was being overly harsh, having had bad experiences with Swedish Match's other blends under the same brand, so I gave it another try.

Unfortunately, I came to the conclusion that I had not been overly harsh. This blend fills easily enough, lights readily, and from that point on, you're on your own. The taste is of... I don't know; to me, it tastes lightly of tar and something sweetish that would probably do better in a cigarette blend; the aroma is not really something I normally associate with pipe tobacco, and even if generous, I cannot say that smoking BRBW gave me any pleasure.

I miss any hint of Bourbon in either taste or aroma, the stuff is quite expensive (especially for a brand which is notoriously positioned on the cheaper end of the price scale where I am), and for the same price, I can get really good tobacco which does not need any flavouring to taste of something. 'nuff said before I go overboard.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this to be surprising. I was suprised it cost me $5. I was suprised I paid it. I was suprized it contained so many stems. I was suprised it burned my whole mouth and made me physicaly ill. But hey, I had to try it for myself just to see how bad it actually was... What's that sound? Thats me slamming my head in a door so as to remind me not to do this again. A total failure as a smoking mixture. 0 of 10

Horvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horvat (5)

I dont know why this blend has so much negative reviews. This is a nice tobacco, with a mild whiskey aroma. It doesn't bite, if smoked slowly. I like Borkum riff, so 3 stars from me.

hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (14)

Not a real bourbon flavour. Try smoking as cool as possible if you can manage to smoke it. Heats up quickly but leaves a good taste on the tongue if you can smoke cooler.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Horrible. Period. Burns like hell, tastes like your sister's knickers and smells like a wet and elderly dog. The pope should anathematise it. If there were any justice, the blenders at Borkum Riff would be doing penance in chains.

bluebossa17 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluebossa17 (2)

Moderate tongue bite. Smokes fast and hot. Expected a little more Room Note but was mildly pleasant. Nice puffy smoke though. A little more expensive than I expected for this quality. Good packaging.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (68)
Mild Medium Medium Strong

Pouch note is not pleasant. Smells like cheap tobacco with a cheap Whiskey casing. Smokes very hot and has a terrible taste followed by a putrid room note. There are really no redeeming qualities for this tobacco.

I haven't found a Borkum Riff that I enjoy but this is probably the worst one. Avoid.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I've been trying various OTC's and so A Borkum Riff was on my list. It was a pouch of the Whiskey that I unfortunately ended up with. The pouch note was a little boozy, but not much. The first few puff give a light whiskey taste and then it was downhill from there, way downhill. The stuff burned hot despite various efforts to slow way down and it was all I could do to keep it from biting. The aftertaste was ashy and nasty. Even the room note, for an aromatic, was just not that good. There are better, much better OTC's. In fact it makes other OTC's positively shine. After a two bowls I ended up disposing with the package in the round file. I do not recommend this at all, unless you want to stop smoking.

Dr. G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. G (15)

Hmm...One of the most popular baccys in the world I'm told. Dad smoked it so I had to check it out. Now I want to check out. The one positive is that it is low maintenance except for the goopy residue. Otherwise, two words - blow torch. If I wanted to expose myself to this much hot air, I would sleep through another staff meeting. Try it if you will - heck, millions of people can't be wrong - right?

Pipe Used: suicide noname briar

Similar Blends: the sun.

Leonidas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leonidas (6)
Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I thank this tobacco for one thing and only. It made me realize the guy in the tobacco shop i used to get my tobacco, was as ignorant as a 3 year old in a brothel. I remember him describing how tasty the bourbon was and all the honey undertones that arise during the finishing of the bowl. Unfortunately that was not the case at all.

Medium strength tobacco. Medium to low nicotine content. The flavoring is that of plain swetness (not overwhelming) and some low hints of cheap whiskey. The taste is very strange actually cause while you cannot really taste any particular topping, you definetely cannot taste the virginia, maybe some cavedish due to the swetness. Its bland with no body. Just a mildly sweet tobacco with no personality.

It doesnt necessarily bite the tongue as many reviews suggest, if packed correctly of course. What is true though, is that it burns inconsisently with many relights and a progressively ash-like ( or ass-like) taste which eventually comes to the taste of pure coal during the finishing of the bowl.

The room note is torelable. The wife suggests it leaves the aroma of a more ''serious'' aromatic, meaning that it doesnt bother her at all, but doesnt prefer it compared to the rest of the aromatics i use.

I purchased a pack of Borkum Riff-Bourbon Whiskey 2 months ago and it is still half full. I only use it sometimes at night with a glass of whiskey (preferably cheap, to match the flavoring) cause the absence of an actual taste leaves the actual whiskey to do the job this tobacco failed to.

Dr.Leonidas

Pipe Used: Capitol Bruyere

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Tobacco Shop Thessaloniki

Nwpipesmker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nwpipesmker (27)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Is good smoke pleasant taste great aromatic love the blend. It doesn't bite like other otc tobaccos. One of my favorites to smoke while out in the woods.

Purchased From: Tobacco depot

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am reviewing the BR Whiskey -- which is what was printed on the pouch, btw, NOT Bourbon Whiskey. Got it for a buck on a manufacturer's coupon, totally dried out and crunchy (the only pipe tobacco that filthy Winn Dixie had). Rehydrated with the old wet-paper-towel-over-a-bowl trick, which brought back the moisture. I'm not convinced that rehydration of really, really dry tobacco restores its pre-dried out character, but this stuff is rough.

Choose any of the negative reviews and it will be correct. Harsh, lacking in presence, character, taste -- and really cheap tobacco. The contempt this company has for its customers is appalling, worse than the tobacco. Didn't taste any whiskey, either. This will bite you like a rattler unless you puff easy. The room note is better than the taste.

But, I almost never throw tobacco away. It goes into the Everything Goes jar, so one day I will have my dollar's worth of pleasure many times over. On the other hand, the other leaf in the jar may not want to meld with this stuff. We will see.

One star, because that's the least I can give it.

bobbysmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobbysmokes (15)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Pleasant

Did not like this at all. Tobacco has a very unpleasant aftertaste that is hard to figure out what causes it. I will not smoke again.

Pipe Used: Danger Devil Anse

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Pipes and CIgars

MiddleEarth Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MiddleEarth Piper (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Classic tobacco, very popular back in the day. Some people hate it but I found it's very good, pleasant aroma and no tongue bite. Room note is nothing special but ok. I recommend this tobacco to all people who want mild tobacco with whiskey flavor.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Every few years I go out and purchase a pouch of Borkum and every few years its the same result. Disappointment. I'm not at all prejudiced to the OTC's. I'll take a cruise with the Captain every once in a while when I feel like smoking dessert, and Prince Albert is my regular daytime smoke..in fact, I just picked up 2 tubs of it today. That said, for the following reasons I just cannot get along with this brand.

Appearance in the pouch is a mix of various colored ribbons and to my sniffer smells quite good. I smell more vanilla then whiskey, but good none the less. Moisture content is just right. Not bone dry nor soaking wet. OK..this looks promising.

Packing goes well using a simple 3 step and I put flame to leaf..and here's where it all falls apart.

This is VERY bitey and bland. None of the promised whiskey flavor appears nor can I detect the vanilla the pouch smelled of. I stick with it and get no improvement. Extreme bite and bland all the way to perhaps a slightly ashy, but otherwise dry finish, lacking the usual soggy clump of dottle such as the one the Captain leaves behind. No appreciable vitamin N to me and the room note seemed ok.

I tried this in numerous pipes and even a few cobs. I put a medico filter in the cob to attempt to tone down that bite to no avail. I just cant seem to make this taste any good..UNLESS..

You MUST and I mean MUST smoke this blend very slowly, as in so slow the pipe barely stays lit. Slow shallow draws can manage to coax some of that promised flavor out and produce a passable at best smoke. If you do not, the hellfire that will reign down on your tongue will make you rue the day you decided to pick up a pipe. This stiff will broil every last tastebud off that everlovin tongue of yours.. For me this blend takes way too much work for the paltry reward given. There are so many better tobaccos out there its just not worth the time/effort.

So I reluctantly give it 2 stars. Why 2? Well, a few reasons. This is probably one of the finest practice tobaccos you could load your pipe with. It will teach you proper packing, puffing cadence and tamping technique. It requires flawless technique. If you fail at any of the above this tobacco will punish your missteps swift and hard..a lesson you wont soon forget..

Good luck..

Pipe Used: Too many..various briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: Other bitey Borkum Riff's...

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Ah the blend I bought with my first pipe, a Grabow Savoy as I recall. I really didn't enjoy this blend as a newbie I remember it burning my tongue and BRW tasting hot and sour. If I knew then what I know now. Hindsight is always 20/20 now isn't it? I recently bought two pouches of this from my local CVS for cheap when they dropped tobacco products from their inventory.

BRW is blended from less expensive foreign grown tobacco but does not hinder the redeeming qualities of this tobacco. It packs great and lights reasonably well. You have to smoke this one low and slow to enjoy the subtleties of this tobacco. I can taste the Virginia's and the Whiskey gives this blend a nice overtone of sweetness with a leathery back note. This tobacco will burn completely leaving a fine gray ash. If you smoke this one fast it is certain to set you tongue ablaze. If you sip it you can reap a decent reward from a drugstore blend staple that still sells for a reasonable price even at full retail.

This blend does not rate high enough to make my rotation, but certainly can't be dismissed as an unsmokeable offering.

Pipe Used: Briars, meerschaums or cobs for aro's

Purchased From: CVS Drugstores

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Well, you have to let it breed for a little and will become quite tasty and pleasant... but there are many other blends with the same qualifications, some cheaper some more expensive. Anyway, it's not a disappointment so you should try at least once. Burn evenly and fair, no tong bite, no strange pipe heating... it's good enough and that's all.

Pipe Used: always Peterson

Age When Smoked: 1-2 yrs

Purchased From: online

Similar Blends: so many.....

greggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greggles (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Bought this and Captain Black regular as my very first pipe tobaccos. The Black is inoffensive, this on the other hand is.

First off, it smells wonderful, thats why I bought it, I figured if it smells this wonderful, it has to taste wonderful too! Well I've learned quickly that's not always going to be the case when it comes to pipe tobacco (Hell even cigars for that matter!)

Its flavor, is sour, like whiskey, but that's all I get when I smoke it. Its not pleasant. I know I bought cheap tobacco and I am still learning the ropes of pipe smoking. However I'll take another pack of the Captain Black over this stuff again. I'd recommend that brand over this one to one learning pipe smoking.

Purchased From: Puff Smoke, Saline, Mi, USA, (734) 316-2691

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Ok, 1st I open the package I can smell a thin bourbon scent but when I smell the tobaccos, it smells just like a ordinary cigarrete ! This blend is totally bad, give me a tongue bite for many days, and when I try to smoke it again, my lips is very hurt and my tongue gets bleeding. Is easy to pack and 1st draw is still good but nothings specials. It taste just like an ordinary cigarrete. I got this blend for my friend, he give me a package and ask me to try it. But the good news is this bacchy is very good when I mix it with my local Indonesian tobaccos. Give a new color and taste because of it's bourbon scent. Perhaps I needs lot of alcohol drinks to enjoy this bacchy by it own.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

In the 1970s version, the whiskey had a decent flavor, and you could taste some of the tobaccos, particularly the grassy Virginia. The nutty burley was a minor component. The problem was that it burned fast, hot, and would bite even when puffed slowly.

UPDATE: Oct. 2013. It seems the new manufacturer has improved this tobacco quite a bit. I experienced no tongue bite, and a little more bourbon flavor than I did when I used to smoke it. I did notice a chemical taste at times, but not always. Burns at the same rate the older version did, but is much less harsh, and unless you puff it like a cigarette, you won't get tongue bite. Low on nicotine. Leaves little moisture in the bowl and requires few relights. Two stars for the new version. One star for the older one.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Absolutely horrid. Please read the two reviews below.

There is truth in numbers!

stonedlion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stonedlion (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I recently bought a pouch of BRW mostly out of idle curiosity.

PROS Readily available wherever cheap tobaccos are sold. Finely cut ribbons of tobacco that packs easily It light's readily and burns to a fine ash The room note is tolerable * It is inexpensive

CONS It tastes like crap It BITES, hard * Burns hot

Borkum Riff Whiskey is most definitely a triumph of marketing over reality. Seriously, this stuff is everywhere.

Last week, while waiting for my wife to emerge from a local discount shop, I ducked into a nearby tobacconist in search of pipe cleaners. The BRW caught my eye and while the thought crossed my mind to whip out my smart phone and pull up the reviews here, I didn't want to look like too much of a nerd. It was cheap, so I thought, what the heck, I bought it.

I smoked a generous bowl in the confines of my truck while continuing to wait for my wife. I became readily apparent that BRW was not all that it was cracked up to be.

Now, I pulled out my smart phone and pulled up the reviews for BRW, reading while I smoked. Oh boy! I must say, some of you are quite creative and brutal.

I won't go so far as to describe BRW as "piss soaked cardboard", but as someone who NEVER throws away tobacco, even stuff I don't particularly like, I am seriously thinking about it.

By the time my wife joined me in the truck I was two thirds of the way through the bowl. I had a headache and my mouth was burning.

Do yourself a favor, buy something else.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well, here we go again with what has been a long standing over-the-counter classic tobacco. Yep: this is a remake of the old German blended Borkum Riff, now produced in Denmark. I don't know if this is now being made by Orlik or MacBaren, or some other Danish firm, but I agree with my fellow reviewers in that there has been a noticeable improvement in many of the BR offerings.

I believe the new blenders are more cautious in their flavoring technique (the tobacco now has more of a topping rather than a casing ambiance), and the choice and quality of leaf seem to be better than previously. Most BRs are composed of Burley and Virginia, and this one has a strong Burley under taste that makes it quite palatable.

So, though we are still talking of a highly commercial blend, designed to be smoked without further ado, it has now a stronger or clearer tobacco flavor and its closer to a quality blend than to an artificial-chemical concoction.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (52)

Ah here we have what seems to be tobacco reviews most hated blend, I wonder why this is? I do understand that people don't like everything, but what I don't get is when people who very much dislike aromatics buy them and then slate them? Pointless much?

Anywho on to the blend and I am going to stick my head above the parapet and actually say I like borkum riff bourbon whiskey.

Opening the pouch you are greeted by quite a dark shaggy mixture there's a nice bourbon scent to it, it doesn't smell artificially so, it smells like real bourbon,also some nice tartness from the Virginia and some nice woody cocoa burley notes. Hydration wise it is ready to go immeadiately, packing needs to be done a touch tighter given its cut and it takes the flame with ease.

During the smoke the bourbon is mild, it doesn't overwhelm and it doesn't subdue the tobacco flavours, I can still taste the tobacco itself and it doesn't taste like cheap off cuts either, there's some nice qaulity stuff in there. Other flavours do come through undetected a drop of honey here and there and sometimes I get a taste very similar to carter hall.....strange...but in a good way. Room note isn't liable offend, and if you look up the old adverts on YouTube smoking borkum riff always leads to having a delightfully pretty Swedish lady in your company.

Now onto some other points. This is a fair warming, rush this tobacco and it will not hold you as a prisoner, this will bite you , lock its jaw and have your tongue in the death rolls. This is not a tobacco to be rushed, it is one too take your time with and relax , enjoy its flavours and taste and enjoy it with a cup of coffee.

All in all I find this a very enjoyable tobacco to be smoked at leisure with a cup of coffee, and I find it bridges the gap nicely when I want an aromatic with a nice added albeit mild flavour and actual tobacco taste and not have my head spinning with nicotine.

4 stars earned and 2 fingers shown to those who just like to blend bash to look good in front of the big boys.

(As post script and absent mindedly wondering, I wonder if this was put in a tin marked Sam gawith or gawith hoggarths and given to those who just like blend bash, I do wonder with much intrigue if their ratings and thoughts would be the same.....highly interesting thought indeed).

EDIT 27/12/17

well I found a couple of old cob pipes and ran this tobacco through them and it is a top class smoke. for some reason it just smokes absolutely beautifully in a cob, the sweet nuttiness of the cob works wonderfully with this tobacco.

try it in a cob and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Pipe Used: Blakemar briar bent egg and cobs

Age When Smoked: New(ish)

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (72)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Reading some of the reviews here and am floored by all the one star ratings. When I first started pipe smoking twenty some odd years ago this was one of the first blends I tried. I'm not a fan of Borkum Riff, but I've been playing around with this one. I usually smoke Smoker's Pride Whiskey. Sutliff also makes a wonderful Whiskey Cavendish, but it's a little on the sweet side. Think of Goldie Locks and the Three Bears if you choose BRW. In this case BRW is the Pappa Bear of the three brands: strong and straightforward with less sweetness. If you dry out on parchment paper 6-8 hours, the flavors are more well rounded. It doesn't burn as hot and offers a dryer smoke. This makes a good mixer. I have a special blend called Bad River Blend with BRW as the base, Toasted Cavendish and Dutch Masters President cigars for a smoky, creamy note. Turned out to be a very pleasant smoke. If you like strong, straightforward blends with less sweetness this might become a staple in your stockpile. Some people complain BRW is too bitey. Actually, what you're tasting is the burn of the alcohol playing off the sugars in the virginias. The burley is smooth throughout minus the sourness.The black Cavendish balances it all out. The key is to air this out over night to acieve the best flavor. Aging in mason jars highly reccomended. So for it's versatility, decent flavor, price, room note and sticking to honest ingredients I'll give it three stars.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Similar Blends: Sutliff Whiskey Cavendish.

Bighead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bighead (1)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I bought a 50g pouch as my local tobbacconist only stocks erinmore mixture and borkum riff blends and i wanted to find a tobacco that was local available rather than trekking into the city or waiting on mail order. I chose the bourbon as I like bourbon and other sweet whiskies. I liked the cool mouth feel but the blend lacks flavor. If you're primarily a cigarette smoker I think you would like this blend. There is very little bourbon flavor.

Pipe Used: new cob

Age When Smoked: purchased same day

Purchased From: Mokos Westcity mall

Pipelover12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipelover12 (3)
Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked this couples of days after trying the Borkum Riff Original When opening the package, you can get that strong smell of whiskey. I love the flavour, and after only 3 puffs, I get that nicotine stroke which made my head spins. In overall, it was an okay smoke, not to good, but not too bad However, when mixed with Mac Baren Aromatic, with a bit of Wo Larson Belle Epoque (i have no idea what this means), the flavour is blend in to absolute perfection. Everything you want in a pipe tobacco is there, the flavour, the smell, the strenght,... I've been having a hard time finding this pack again I recommend this to smokers who have the patience to get other blends ti mix it with, and wait for the flavours to marinate

Pipe Used: Lubinsky 662

oldcodger (71)

I have always preferred the aroma of someone else smoking this tobacco to the experience of smoking it myself. Although there are dissenters, most find the room note of Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey pleasant. As of the date of this review it is listed on this board both as "whiskey" and "bourbon whiskey" with about the same number of reviewers under each rubric. Since its introduction in the mid 1960's (if memory serves me correctly it was not until 1968 that it was imported to the US) this has been a good selling and widely available blend. Nevertheless, reviewers on this board have been largely negative, with more "not recommended" ratings than any other.

The current pouch identifies the contents as 35% black cavendish (burley?) and 65% Virginia. Smoked carelessly, it will bite like a constipated badger. Smoked carefully, it is still bite prone for smokers with sensitive tongues. Personally, with a relaxed puffing cadence, and remembering to hold the pipe in my hand and not clench it in my teeth, I can smoke it without biting.

The pouch aroma is somewhat mild for an aromatic. So too is the taste, a taste which I find pleasant, although not something to write home about. I doubt seriously that I could identify the taste as bourbon in a blind test.

I normally have about five tins or pouches open at one time. On the fairly infrequent times that I have Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey as one of these, I smoke it as often as the other blends open. When I do not like a tobacco, I cut it with something else. I have yet to find one that I cannot finish even if my cutting may create something far different from the original. (In over five decades, I have smoked well over 500 different tobaccos.) But I have never been tempted to cut Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.

Bottom line: for me, this is a two star, "somewhat recommended" blend, but a two star rating given with a caveat for pipe smokers easily susceptible to tongue bite.

erkantural Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erkantural (10)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

First of all it triggers strong chemical reactions in the mouth. Not a good one.

One day i started to feel really pleasant taste, while having cool burn with small sips. However, just after that it kicked my mouth and that sweet taste never came back again from this blend.

The bad thing is, I still have more than half a kilogram of this. Probably I am not going to open the boxes(!) for years. Then we'll see.

Pipe Used: Sahin Briar and Missouri Corn Cobs

Purchased From: Istanbul

Setherd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Setherd (1)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is just a plain drugstore variety. I got a coupon in the mail to try this for a dollar so i did. It wasn't that bad but there was really nothing good about it. Lots of tongue bite. The smell was somewhat pleasant and the flavor was bland. I had the hardest time keeping it lit however. I smoked 3 bowls, I packed one my regular way, one very lightly and for the last I really jammed the tobacco in tight. Surprisingly that last bowl stayed lit the best. Bottom line.... Don't get it.

Pipe Used: MM corn cob

Age When Smoked: straight from the store

Purchased From: CVS drugstore

ignotus93 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ignotus93 (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first tobacco. I really hate it. I can't taste the whiskey. I smoked a full pouch, it was a true misery to my tongue.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I gotta say I think this blend has gotten a little bit of a bad rap. Other reviews have mentioned tastes like tar and other off flavors. I certainly did not find these flavors, but that's the point. I did not find any flavor at all.

The packaging is so very elegant, the pouch aroma is nice, the room aroma is nice. The cut is just grand, and the moisture content is perfect. The only thing this blend is missing is taste. A little taste and this stuff would not be that bad.

Bourbon is not a very subtle flavor. If something is flavored with bourbon, it should be relatively easy to pick out. I taste absolutely nothing here. Not bourbon, not nothin. This stuff should be title "Borkum Riff Bland Steam" That would be an accurate name.

One mans trash is another mans treasure. This is by no means disgusting, and may be just what you are looking for, but for most of us, it caused us to just keep looking.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Billiard

Age When Smoked: purchased 2011

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)

So, a one star for me says at least that the entire pouch was smoked. There have been a few that didn't get reviewed because I simply could not persevere in the smoke. This one smokes like a VA and I detected no burley flavor (because I'm pretty sure that the burley is the cavendish component.) There are some nice flavors in this one, but it can bite and burn hot. I respect skandanavik for their more discreet use of toppings. The bourbon is mildly detectible in the smoke. Not recommended but finishable.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

For me my oppinion, is only a very regular, common, Virginia-Burley Blend. Somewhat bitter taste and also slight large in Nicotine than desired and tendence to give Tongue Bite, and very dry. Not bad, but not remarkable also very similar to cigarrete tobacco. .

irishjedi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
irishjedi (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Seems like nothing but pure tongue bite. Definately not a fan, and I probably would not recommend this to highly. .02.

Mike

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

This just might be the absolute worst tobacco I have ever tasted.

I am amazed that this is even on the market, let alone so commonly available in seemingly every drug store and smoke shop in America.

One should have to search hard and wide for a tobacco this bad. One should have to work at it. It should be a challenge of sorts - a quest.

Instead, every year new pipe smokers stumble onto this tobacco and give up the pipe shortly thereafter.

We should start some type of petition to get this tobacco taken off the market.

And we should take up a collection to send some decent tobacco to those fond of this vile mess.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

*Update: well it smoked OK for a week or two, then seemed to go back to it's old ways. Went flat, stale real quick. Better than it used to be but you can do better.

In the mid to late '70s, I alway had a can of Borkum Riff Bourbon on my study desk and smoked a ton of it. It had a strong casing, not terribly unpleasant but very "definite", it smoked hot and it was hard to find a true tobacco taste. Hey, I didn't know any better and after several years of this being my everyday/all day smoke I moved on. Lots of young guys smoked this "back when".

This new version is definitely NOT the same stuff at all. The smell of the tobacco in the pouch is way toned down. Same cut for sure. The flavor is that of a plain burley with an occasional hint of virginia and the whisper of topping. Smokes like a straight up burley blend, nice tobacco taste. It burns nicely. And this new stuff doesn't bite unless really pushed. This won't put Dunhill out of business but I can see picking a pouch of this to have for.....well, studying (again) or reading. A pleasant suprise! The change in blenders had made a huge difference IMHO.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I think the room note of this blend is one of the best ever. However the taste never fulfilled me no matter how many times I have tried it. I don't like it's fine ribbon cut and my tongue always was raw afterwards, most likely drawing too hard trying for a n boost I never got. I have tried all the BR blends as I used to work for US Tobacco back when they had the US rights to sell it and I had all I wanted free but instead at that time smoked Amphora Brown. This always sold well and many a new smoker cut his teeth on it.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad, I think their quality control has improved since I last tried this stuff. Borkum Riff is not something I would go out of my way to smoke or even buy large quantities, but not bad for now and then. The flavoring is pretty strong but not overwheelming and the nicotine content is high, so it is probably the good slap we need some mornings.

An ok OTC smoke. I'll smoke it in a pinch.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

One bowl, 5 puffs and the package went into the trash.

Abysmal.

No offense to those who like this one, but its not for me.

Smelled like a pack of cigarettes that had been sunning in the dash of a truck for about 3 years.

Live and learn.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Proof - if proof was needed - that millions can be wrong. In an emergency tea leaves would make a better smoke.

Dickson Bainbridge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dickson Bainbridge (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Purchased on a whim. Gave it a run in a large Greek briar churchwarden special that smokes very cool. Tasted like dead wombat. Didn't get the harsh tongue others report and room note was very mild. Will give the rest to someone I dislike.

Pipe Used: Large Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: 12 Month

Purchased From: Little foreign bloke under Flinders Street Station

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Well after a 50g pouch i do not consider it as a quality tobacco...the smell when breaking the seal is decent cavendish dominates the taste wich doesn't last till the end of the bowl.easy packing a bit moist but no drying is needed.at the beginning you get some bourbon taste wich is lost after a few puffs.it burns hot and it has a very unique room smell.(not pleasant not bad).as you go it is flat with a bit bite if you go hard.it leaves more moist than should to the bowl.for one pouch is good you won't lose but you wo't earn something also.

Age When Smoked: When opened!

ringo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ringo (15)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a good Cavendish aromatic! In the shag it smells whiskey and chocolate. The room aroma is burbon clearly. The flavor of the tobacco is realistic whiskey with Virginia and the characteristic feel of black Cavendish. The taste of the whiskey is very real but not overwhelming. It is also nice that the cooked part- the last third is very soft and mellow Virginia with burbon, yes this is clearly burbon. It does not byte and I ca not find negatives. Sometimes I also taste chocolate and I think the Cavendish is also Virginia tobacco and always the taste finishes in the mouth with whiskey. I wish the last part of smoke which taste burbon to last longer. If you like aromatics and whiskey, this is a must. I also want to add that I have become addictive to it, very nice nicotine kick, just right!As the tobacco becomes dry the bourbon taste comes more to the surface while the intense metalic taste of whiskey softens. I must say that the whiskey taste was very bright when the tobacco was fresh like throwing in the a glass of a whiskey a little bit of water or when the ice is melted.

Pipe Used: corcobswith filter

Purchased From: local kiosk- news agent

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am surprised with the low average this received. No bite, no gurgle. Some nicotine. Stays lit well and burns right to the bottom. I liked this from the start, no need to wait for it to grow on me. Pouch aroma is fabulous. Nice thick smoke. I like to retrohale, and this was a little too strong to enjoy doing that. I find that it does burn fast.

Pipe Used: MM cob, MM hardwood, both with filters

Age When Smoked: fresh to 4 weeks

Purchased From: Buttheads Tobacco Emporium

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (94)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Aroma in the pouch is really compelling: sweet tobacco with a trace of woodiness most likely from the Bourbon. Moisture is perfect and the cut is a fine ribbon easy to load which burns evenly but, as every Whisky or Whiskey flavoured blend, it tends to smoke hot so you need some care to keep the right pace; despite the heat it doesn’t bite at all, it also has a nicotine level a bit over the usual border for this kind of blend. Taste is woody and sweet, it actually reminds to Whiskey and wife she loves the room note (surprisingly more than I do), all in all a decent blend but... unfortunately starting from the mid bowl it gets sour, this unpleasant flaw is the only real one I can tell but serious enough to ruin the smoke near the bottom.

Pipe Used: briars and cobs

taazen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
taazen (1)

Just wanted to lift this tobacco up. It deserves higher a rating than what it have. Dont know why it gets so low ratings, guess it has something to do with that it was different before. Dont know which year it changed, but now, in 2016, it tasts perfect. Someone told me that finaly it tastes like the first time.(when it came out). I love this blend. My favorite. Im so glad my local store has plenty of this. If you can get it, just buy and try.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: Shop in Norway

ASmithee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASmithee (20)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is the worst tobacco I have yet tried. I am going to try to age this to see if it improves but in the meantime I will not smoke another bowl. What's wrong? - it bites, no whiskey flavor, and just a poor taste overall. Not worth the try -- plenty of other aromatics with better quality out there.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: P&C

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Mild Medium Mild Unnoticeable

Ugh. This is junk. It's dry, it burns hot, and has no real taste. And I like many drug store OTC blends. But not this one. How it got so popular, I have no idea.

Telling it how it is. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Telling it how it is. (73)

So this is where everybody gathers together and finds their outlet for bashing tobacco. Well, that probably is a healthy thing then and to be honest this blend really lends itself to it.

Right away when opening the pouch you will be greeted by not enough. The whiskey aroma is only very faint and also artificial, the tobaccos play no role at all.

Packing and lighting both are easy but the burning properties are awful. It burns way too fast and way too hot but at least even and readily, there is very little maintenance needed.

The taste is just lousy to say the least. There is a light whiskey flavour popping in and out during the course of a bowl. But it only rarely is noticeable and when it is it just contributes to the overall bad taste. Also your tongue will hurt, hurt, hurt. This is one of the blends that i suggest when a break from smoking seems in order, to ease your chore with physical pain.

Aftertaste is bad also and lasts way too long. Plus i found you cannot get rid of it until it dissipates by its own. Room note is nice.

The entire Borkum Riff label was invented to get a grip on the American market and to suit the American smokers. So in the end the entire brand is just a marketing scheme everybody at first falls for and then never again falls for. I think every single smoker on this planet sooner or later will have dealings with one or the other Borkum Riff mixture. You really have to hand it to them how genius their concept is and how long they already are on the market. And what spread they have, you can get Borkum Riff all over the planet.

So do i recommend this blend? Lol are you joking? Have you not noticed how noone ever recommends this blend? So, no. Stay clear of it by all means necessary, it is not worth risking your health for this blend and be it the very last one on the planet.

Pipe Used: It went trough rotation.

Age When Smoked: They don't print production dates on it.

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)
Mild Extra Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is quite a ride. Unpleasant does not fully cover it. The first light offers up a taste of burnt hair, in a crossover with cheap soap and eau de cologne. And that is it. This is one ugly blend! It is foul tasting and I am positive it will burn you, given the time - I only got through half a bowl so I got off easy.

Stay away.

Pipe Used: Jean Claude Bent exclusive

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)

I had never smoked this. I heard that it was the series most popular Borkum Riff.The tobacco was a ribbon cut that smelled more like rum to me than bourbon.I liked the smoke taste and the room note was okay. I know why this is their most popular blend now.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: new moist pouch

Purchased From: TobaccoPlus smoke shop

Sound Dude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sound Dude (6)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

I don't know if I can add much to what has been said in all the previous reviews. I first tried this when I was in college, because this is what the local liquor store sold and I didn't know better. It tasted horrible. Tongue burn, and a terrible taste in my mouth I couldn't get rid of for days. I though all pipes tasted like that and I gave up. So this is the tobacco that turned me off pipe smoking. It wasn't until 35 years later that I decided I'd try it again, mostly because my brother enjoys cigars and other fine stuff and showed me there are better tobaccos out there.

Age When Smoked: fresh (I assume)

Purchased From: local liquor store

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (26)

My first puff of Borkum Riff and when I finish the pouch will be my last... This is a rather boring tobacco and for the price there are a lot better brands cased with whiskey. My personal favorite is Peterson Irish Whiskey. The quality of this tobacco is questionable and the whiskey casing does not do much to flatter it. Save your money and buy something good for what they charge for this mediocre pouch of tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peter Heinreichs 9mm, cob

Purchased From: local store

Winchester38 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Winchester38 (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Picked up a pouch of this on a whim one evening, having not heard much about it, but having often seen pouches of it on store shelves.

Pouch note is definitely sweet. I get more vanilla than bourbon whiskey, but it's sweet, no doubt. Lots of color contrast between the Virginias and cavendish. I let a small amount air-dry for about five minutes before smoking.

I packed a bowl, and went to it. Lit nicely, but instantly felt dry. The sweetness from the pouch was mostly gone, and I was getting more dry, ashy taste than anything else. I held on, and finished the bowl, hoping it would come alive, but it stayed dry, and burned hot through the whole endeavour. Had to puff slowly to avoid tongue bite.

I've now got almost a full pouch of this stuff, and don't really have much interest in smoking it. Maybe it'll make a better potpourri than a tobacco?

Don't bother with this one.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (130)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I bought this some time ago in an attempt to go down memory lane, for this this is the first blend I ever got used to in my early 20s when I started smoking, but in the end it turned out it was not what it was all cracked up to be. So what befell of what many used to call "the best pipe tobacco in the world?" One can only wonder. This new mixture has nothing to do with that easy smoke I was so used to in the past. Yes, in the end I grew out of this blend. Not so more as I began to dislike it, but due to my adventurous soul and constant search for other tobaccos that would meet my new needs. Be as it may, this is certainly not the blend I was so used to. The blend did irritate me at some point, and if I did not throw it in the bin in the end is because of the £12.50 they set me back in the shop. In the end I ended up wondering if the person who put this together did it with intent and out of hatred, for only a very bad and nasty person could've come up with this. I really cannot find any word in the English language to describe how distasteful this is. Nor I would recommend it to my worst enemy. Just stay well clear of this blend, for it is not worth half the money you are going to pay for it.

Edit1: My experience tells me that some tobaccos will improve over time after some drying, but this is not the case with this blend. In true honesty, I had never had so bad an experience in my life. It bites, I find the Cavendish in it horrendous, and I've never been able to finish a bowl Yes, it is so bad. This is definitely going in the bin.

Age When Smoked: Probably 1

Purchased From: John Hollingsworth's

Similar Blends: I cannot dare to think.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (28)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Horrible! This is hands down THE worst pipe tobacco I have ever smoked. Reminiscent of packing a bowl full of cardboard flavored with some kind of cleaning chemicals. Shame on you Borkum Riff! Shame on you...

Pipe Used: Cob

Similar Blends: Chemicals and Cardboard.

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (36)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

This was the second tobacco I tried, back in 1984. It was like a match on the tongue, but tasted worse.

The horror.... The horror....

Borkum Riff - Bourbon Whiskey.

The ribbons are uniform in size and of a decent hydration. The aroma's weird, it smells much stronger than it smokes.

The smoke's flavour isn't offensive, but it just bores me. The whiskey isn't as strong as I expected it to be, and the tobaccos give a flavour I can only really describe as flat. The burn's ok, it only seems warm when stressed, and I have to really 'provoke' it to get a bite!

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: quite innocuous.

Not good, not bad, just a little mundane.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sandblast Sherlock Homes Baskerville

Purchased From: Smoke King

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Overwhelming Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

How can one tobacco give off one of the best aromas and also the worst taste? I imagine this is doused whiskey, then dried out completely. Would you smoke a bottle of Jack Daniels? I feel the need to try this every few years because of the wonderful aroma. My taste buds haven't caught up yet. You need a chaser after smoking this.

Pipe Used: Corn cob, Basket pipe

Purchased From: Ingles

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff is possible the worst tobacco that I have ever had the displeasure of smoking. I'm not a tobacco snob, per se (I like a lot of OTCs), but this stuff is truly apalling. It burns hot, tastes horrible, and will burn your tongue like it's made from pepper spray. I usually defer to others and say that it's just not for me, but let me assure you -- you'll want to avoid this like the plague.

larrjlion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
larrjlion (3)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

Nothing but tongue bite so I couldn't taste a thing. Burns hot all the way through. Expensive especially in Massachusetts. After 5 bowls I gave it to a friend to roll it in her ciggaretts.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Purchased From: Rite Aid

Marlowe2nd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marlowe2nd (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Just received a pouch. It's not that bad. It lights ok, and if smoked slowly it stays lit and doesn't bite. Just take your time; treat it as if it were heavy on the Latakia.

Pipe Used: Peterson and Carey.

Age When Smoked: 1 week

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (34)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

One star rates this far too highly. Zero stars would be too many. It really deserves negative numbers of stars.

It's that rare thing, a tobacco that manages to have no good points at all. The other one-star reviews are more than fair. Avoid.

tados Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tados (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

An nasty tong bite could occur, but as my first tobacco, I feel like this is kind of great, it burns really hot. Don't let this tobacco dry a least, it'LL take fire in your pipe and trust me that's not what you want.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

Another crap blend.

Burns way to hot, bites like a Viper, tastes like chemicals, and coated my mouth with Lord knows.

Picked it up at a gas station en route camping, forgot my baccy at home. After we pitched the tent and built a nice fire I grabbed a pipe from the tool-box. I Made it through half a bowl, dumped it and the remained of the pouch on the fire.

I'd rather go without than suffer through this torture.

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (22)
Strong Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

This is the only whiskey flavored tobacco I have ever tried and it is a disgusting abomination. Be prepared to salt your pipe or if you have the spare cash for a new pipe, bury it at least 10 feet underground so the fumes dont waft out of its grave.

I may be unfair to whiskey tobaccos as this is Borkum after all. Although the flavor is akin to a mix of vomit and petrol it is the only Borkum with any noticeable flavor at all apart from the cherry cavendish, which is the only Borkum I would recommend.

For a similar but far more mild and pleasant experience, it would be far better to spend the money on a bottle of cheapest, nastiest whiskey, give it to a bum, wait for him to vomit and subsequently deeply inhale said bum's breath.

The absolute worst tobacco in the world, even for Borkum. Recommend it to a pipe smoker you despise.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I give this four stars based upon that growing u as a boy about 11 this was favorite blend. It seemed so rich. the aroma was wonderful. Priced at about 69 cents more then a pack of smokes at that time. I have tried it ver recently and found that alothough it may not be up the the connoisuer level we are all up to today. It is still a good smoke. Smoked ever so slow the favor comes out. So enjoy it while we are all able to still buy tobacco. pretty soon it will all be but a memory. REDD

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

My first BR tobaccos were this and Cherry Liqueur (reviewed separately). I'd read that it smokes fairly hot, so I let it out to dry for 2 days. The pouch scent was really faint and not really pleasant. It didn't bite too much. It required a few relights. It tasted worse than the worst cigarettes. I couldn't detect any whiskey. It was not cheap ($10). Thankfully, it did not mess up my pipe. Other otc brands are better. Most online-ordered brands are certainly better. Bad quality and bad price, there's no way I can recommend this.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

On the upside this tobacco is easy to find and not too expensive. It also smells pretty good in the pouch. Not great, just pretty good. You really should just sniff it in the pouch cause its all downhill after lighting. The stuff stinks, is harsh, tastes like old, partially smoked cigarettes. Horrible stuff. Does a good job of burning all the way down and requires no relights. The taste is so very strong that it is damn near impossible to blend with something to smooth it out. If this were the only pipe tobacco available left on the planet, I would quit smoking. Just isn't worth your time or money.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

The pouch aroma is like raisins, chewable vitamins, bran muffins and graham crackers. No real evidence of bourbon. Definitely artificial in character, but there is an underlying scent of stale burley tobacco.

Fine ribbon-cut packs OK, lights well.

Starts out bland but not off-putting. Notes of cigarette, trash fire and mouth-coating chemical flavors creep in and take over. Tobacco flavors are uninteresting at best. Bitter vegetal, and unpleasant anise/clove-like flavors come in halfway through the bowl. Second half of the bowl is harsher and soapy. Seems to me a complete waste of time and money. To paraphrase Monty Python - This is not a tobacco for smoking, it's a tobacco for laying down and avoiding.

As Fubber put it in his review - Just don't!

However, good or bad, life's too short for drugstore tobacco. Support your local (or online) tobacconist, and do yourself a favor.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

Insipid horrid crap, truly unpalatable. I had to retort my pipe three times after trying this. The rest was dumped in bonfire, can't even give this one away.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)

I remember when this blend first hit the American market about 40 years ago. I had tried only a few blends at the time and I was trying a pouch of everything I could find in search of something I could like. BR whiskey was the best of the OTC blends at the time. It doesn't seem to taste the same now as it did then but it is still much better than the other drug store blends such as the Captain Black crap (which, by the way, would gag a maggot off a gut wagon).

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)

After reading the reviews for both Borkum Riff and Captain Black I'm confused. The concensus seems to be BR is bad and CB is great. IMHO, neither is very good but, in comparison, BR is much better. No offense to those of you who like the CB blends but they gag me with their sickeningly sweet sticky toppings. (Actually, gold label is the only CB blend I've tried. It was so nauseating I couldn't bring myself to try the other CB blends.) BR does have decent tobacco leaf and the casing enhances rather than hides the taste of the natural tobacco. It burns a tad bit hot if puffed too briskly but it stays lit and it doesn't bite. The first time I smoked Borkum Riff was in the early 1970"s and it was actually very good back then. Unfortunately, the ownership changed hands many times over the years and the quality suffered each time. Still, if drug store stuff is all that is available I buy a pouch of BR.

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When the fall comes rolling in, I crave pipe tobacco really bad for some reason. Past few years its been Sail green. i can't find the sail anymore so picked up a pouch of this BR bourban whiskey. I have been smoking it like crazy. I dont know alot about blends and did order up somw gawith and davidoff. i just love the stuff and look foward to trying out a vareity. I like the BR bourban whiskey and after the pouch got some air to it, it started burnin better and NO bite. nummy ~sweetbriar

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

It has been many years since I last smoked this and my recolections are that it had a slight hint of Bourbon, I was expecting Scotch, and it bit like a rabid stoat.

No I didn't stock up on this.

Dr. Hardcrab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Hardcrab (3)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I smoked a pipe 25 years ago and remember smoking BorKum Riff. Maybe it was a different blend. Maybe I was young and uninformed. Bottom line: The stuff was awful!!! Very little taste. Not much aroma (the wife said it stinks!). Burned terrible. Just bad. Pass on this one!

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Strong

I don't know what possessed me to try this tobacco. I had tried two Borkum Riff tobaccos before (Vanilla and Cherry) and disliked both of them. I guess I had nothing better to do and was in need for a good laugh.

Like the other Borkums I've tried, this stuff smokes hot, lacks flavor, and whatever flavor you get is artificial and gross. Leaves a mess in your pipe which then requires the need for all sorts of domestic house cleaning products. Think of what it's doing to your tongue! I double dare anyone to smoke a bowl of this, and use mouth wash to get rid of it's "flavor". Don't do it!!

Even Borkum's own Vanilla Cavendish is a work of high art compared to this - and that tobacco is terrible. If you can call it that, that is. Tobacco, I mean! What I want to know is this :

Who buys this crap? Why? Why is it even manufactured?

I'm quite convinced that the guys who blend this don't have any sense of smell, taste, or touch.

Sorry Borkum, but I will never be buying any of your products ever again. I'd rather set my own hair on fire and inhale the smoke.

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)

Here is the pouch http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=j2mmmwd2zmg&thumb=4

I was surprised to see it rated as one star. It can not be compared to Orange and Honey. This one is far much better. I will give it 2 stars.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Concur, but found it tolerable one time with a fresh pouch, right out of the pouch, in a pipe with a very small bowl (which is now finally smokeable again after two years) on a cold day while drinking strong black coffee to cover the taste.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Strong

Opening the package, this tobacco has the aroma of cheap American style RYO blends. Figuring that these types of tobaccos are barely tolerable in cigarettes, I couldn't expect much from them in a pipe, where quality is much more important.

It lights, it burns, the taste is somewhat sweet and somewhat ashy. The flavor can become almost acrid. The aroma this tobacco produces is offensive. Smoking it indoors, I could not tolerate the aroma, so I assume that others would find it equally offensive. I didn't find it to bite the tongue, which may be its only redeeming quality.

If you are looking for a widely carried blend at a cheap price, Captain Black (Blue and White), Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Sir Walter Raleigh are all better choices.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

Yuk. I could smoke this type of tobacco in the 70's, but not anymore.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Swill. CRAP. HORRIBLE! I like a good aromatic as much as the next guy, and enjoy some more traditional English blends as well, and this stuff is GARBAGE. It is shredded like confetti, overly dry and brittle between your fingers, and bites like hell no matter how gently you try and smoke it. I smoked 2 bowls on different days and tossed the remainder in the trash.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (64)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I bought a pouch of this for the sake of trying, was a while ago, but on rare occasions I (usually) smoke it in a cob. It doesn't really deserve all this negative press, even if it's hardly the best tobacco ever made.

It is quite strong, which surprises me a little. I can detect the burley and a faint taste of bourbon (more like a hint of sweet-corn after taste than anything else, which does intensify somewhat further down the bowl). Can't sense any virginia in there, though it is probably in there somewhere, if you look hard enough.

It treats my tongue well, but I guess it'll bite if you tempt fate (what tobacco doesn't?). At worst a small tingle on the false light. After that it burns without any problems at all. It is very thinly cut, almost like loosepacked cigarette tobacco, which makes packing a breeze. This makes it burn pretty fast also, for better or for worse.

Should you try it? Who knows, you might like it.

As far as I am concerned, I probably won't buy another pouch of it, but on the other hand, I don't regret buying the one I have now.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Strong Medium Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

I smoked this stuff along with half and half when I first started smoking a pipe. At first, without much to compare it to, I thought it was alright. Years later I revisited this blend hoping I would grow fond of it since it is readily available. Well, the second time around i didn't think it was alright, in fact i hated it. I smoked about three quarters of the pouch just to see if i could make myself like it but i had to stop. The taste is strong but it doesn't really taste like tobacco or whiskey, it was like smoking pencil shavings. My tongue was so sore after a while that it was a pain in the butt to brush my teeth.

It's easy to pack and keep lit, but it is too dry for my taste.

I don;t know, since i see this stuff everywhere i guess it's good, otherwise why would it be so popular? It's just not exactly my kind of smoke. My advice would be to just give it a try, you might like it.

UPDATE: I changed my mind, I thought about it and there are so many decent blends out there with two start that this one does not deserve two start. Downgrading it to one star

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

There is nothing worth smoking here.. No whiskey taste whatsoever and very low quality tobaccos.. A complete waste of money..

Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Where's the whiskey in this stuff? It burns hot, it tends to dampen, it's tasteless...

Move along, nothing to see here.

This is one of the first pipe tobaccos I ever tried (together with Capt. Black, Amphora Red and Clan). In my opinion, this is the best of the Borkum Riff range or, if you so prefer, not as bad as the others in this German-Swedish family. It is not as goopy or cased as either the Black or Cherry Cavendish varieties, and it does have more body and presence than the Ultra Light or Champange versions.

Evidently a popular tobacco, and readily available almost anywhere, it has enough Virginia flavour to fight back the Bourbon whiskey casing, and the Burley adds a certain sharpness which I find rather enticing. To put it briefly: it does taste of tobacco. The samples I remember were not particularly moist, and the famous (or infamous) riff cut (long thin strands) were never an obstacle to pack and light it easily. I assume it must contain some humectant or artifical substance to keep it fresh, and that tends to give it an industrialised undertone. But it's not that bad. I would rate BRW a mild to middle strength smoke, not really sweet, and if smoked slowly it won't bite. Not a particularly cool smoke, it does leave a tolerable room aroma.

Within the range of highly commercial brands, this blend is pretty good and can be smoked safely by both aromatic and non aromatic smokers. Definitely not an exceptional tobacco, but if stranded somewhere in the wild, it can become a passable option. __________

NB: I just tried the new, Danish blended version. It is much better than its previous German version. The taste is fuller and rounder, and the casing seems to be now a topping, providing a more defined and richer tobacco flavor, with a stronger Burley presence. Hence, one more star for this readily available blend. Smoke it slowly, though, because the tongue bite is still there...(January, 2007)

Toe Bacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toe Bacco (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I recieved Borkum Riff Whiskey as a gift from a friend. I was very new to pipesmoking. In fact, the only other tobacco I had smoked by the time I received BRW was Clan.

Because I was new to pipe smoking, I wondered what the appeal of smoking was after trying this tobacco. The taste was terrible and it burnt my tongue. Thank God it's buried away in clutter and I have found better tobaccos.

My advice: Cut to the chase and dump this crud. Find other tobacco.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have smoked this several times over my pipe smoking career and have never been able to get attached to it. This is one of those drug store blends that I buy because there is no tobacconist for miles and I?m desperate. Every time I end up with tongue bite and a nasty taste in my mouth. I?ve never been all that good at smoking Danish blends and maybe I just smoke it too hard, but I?m always sorry I purchased this one. I never can taste the whiskey unless that is what is so hot. Some day I would like to try the cherry version of this however I?m afraid that one will really be a scorcher! Some day , somewhere in a small town out of the way I may meet a bag of cherry Borkum R. and we will see just what kind of dare devil I can be.

pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeman (14)

well i have to start out saying,this isn't what i expected,i didn't taste the whiskey,it initially had some tongue bite,although slight,it went away the more i smoked it.i expected more of a aroma,by the smell of the pouch when first opened it i figured there would be more of a aroma.it certainly isn't strong so i would say its good for newbies.i would buy this in a pinch.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An o.k. tobacco for newbies. I wouldn't smoke it now unless it was all I had left.

Mild to Medium Medium Overwhelming Strong

I bought this dreck when I was particularly ignorant about tobacco. The reference to smoking shredded newsprint soaked in bad bourbon is pretty apt. I was fortunate in that the sample I tried was quite dry, and I suffered no tongue bite. However, I couldn't finish the pouch, and I wouldn't dare make an enemy by giving it away. Save your money.

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (33)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

This tobacco offended me on a spiritual and emotional level. I was left with an acrid taste in my mouth, a fouled pipe (thank God for the disposability of corn cob pipes!) and a confused, melancholy realization that there are people out there that made this tobacco.

I find myself questioning the very goodness of humanity when tobacco like this is allowed to be sold to the public and not relegated to back-room torture chambers.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I purchased this to give some variation to my other tobaccos. I too had no problem with the stickiness or goopy residue although it does tend to bite the tongue if you are not careful. I am learning to smoke slower than I used too and have gone from a staight to a full bent pipe. Havent decided if that changes much other than the way I hold the pipe. It is kinda ashy tasting near the end but overall, not bad for a cheap store brand. Not a bad choice if out and about in the countryside, but not for relaxing on the back porch. My wife said it didnt smell bad, but I have to smoke outside anyway.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I couldn't detect any taste of Whiskey at all.Infact it tasted more like 'tea leave's'to me!!!Made no impression on me at all.If you were desperate, & ran out everything else & could only get this(Then maybe it might better than nothing)1 star out of 4.

Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Very Pleasant

As for the above reviews, all I can say is, "now fellers, be nice." So what if this stuff is sweet, gooey and hot? It must be beloved by some folks because it's a brisk seller at the supermarkets. I smoked Borkum Whiskey some 30 years ago when I first took up the pipe. I'm still a pipe smoker, so, I couldn't have had nearly as bad an experience as the above reviewers. Or, perhaps I'm into self-mutilation. Oh well.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Some blends are aromatic flavored tobaccos, this is a slightly tobacco flavored aromatic. Opening the pouch was my first mistake, he unopened aroma should have warned me off. Packing it into a pipe was the second mistake, it was really sticky and left crap all over my fingers. Lighting it was the final mistake. Actually, the first mistake was buying the st. I'm soory, i didn't mean to insult st that way. STAY AWAY FROM IT!!

1/2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1/2 (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

As I am relatively new to pipe tobbacco, having returned to it after years of not smoking at all due to work requirements, I have little by way of comparisson. So from a new pipesmokers perspective:

As I opened the pouh the first time, the scent of Bourbon was quite potent. It actually overpowered the scent of the tobbacco. Once the tobbacco had been lit, the flavour of Bourbon was present, But not as overpowering. It was quite a Nice flavour and kept that flavour through out.

My wife not being a fan of any whiskey did not enjoy the scent. She noted that it did Get to be a bit much whiskey. (She prefers the scent of vanillas etc ahead of this one. It has however grown on her and she claims it a taste she can aquire.)

Pipe Used: Vauen 1300 01 basic bent Apple

Purchased From: M.Sørensen Tobbakk A/S

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

Let me start out by saying that I may not be a Virginia fan. I mean, most of the virginia tobaccos that I have reviewed have gotten pretty unenthusiastic marks from me. Here we go with another less than wonderful blend. The smell out of the pouch is grassy and reminds me a lot of Sail or something close. I do n’t really smell the bourbon. The stuff packs well and it arrived at a good moisture level. The thickness of the packaging seems to have done a good job at keeping it fresh. It takes a couple of charring lights to get started and another full light to get the smoke going. The taste is of grass and a little earth. Again, the whiskey seems to be missing. In fact, this could almost pass as Borkum Riff Original if I didn’t have the pouch right in front of me. The aroma is that of a good Virginia and nothing else. By the way, the wife gives the room note a thumbs down. As the smoke continues, there is a little whiskey in the aroma, but it never shows in the taste. The burning quality is good, but you will want to keep your lighter handy if you start to talk or put the pipe down for any reason. There is no tongue bite and the taste is super mild. The ash is fine and there is no dottle left in the pipe. Although I do admit that the pipe tends to gurgle a little because I puff a little fast to get flavor or to keep it lit. Pouches are getting too expensive for such a lack-luster performance. But I can admit that others may find a lot here, but I found very little. Back to the Burley tobacco for me!

Pipe Used: MM Legend and MM Washington

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Sail Green, Borkum Riff Original, MacBaren Virginia No. 1.

Dr. Kinsey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Kinsey (12)
Strong Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I would give it a higher review if there were only say...five tobacco blends to choose from on earth. As a Kentuckian, I couldn’t be more disappointed with such a waste of bourbon. It’s just boring.

Pipe Used: RAW Bubinga

Age When Smoked: Just opened

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Carter Hall?.

Wilhelm Joharsányi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wilhelm Joharsányi (33)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This one almost made me quit pipe smoking before I even started.

I won't say much about this one. One of the first blends I purchased, ignorant of the world of high quality, premium tobacco. A very mild, poor quality, artificial whisky taste that burns extremely hot. I then proceeded to toss it in the garbage after the 2nd smoke. After the Hungarian government nationalized the sale of tobacco, this is the type of crap Hungarians are forced to smoke now at tobacco shops, unless you import them online.

Purchased From: Wish I didn't

Cowtownbaldie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cowtownbaldie (2)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I am very disappointed in this tobacco. I purchased it and find it very strong and bitter. I don't enjoy this tobacco. I am new to pipe smoking and perhaps the whiskey/bourbon flavors are not for me.

Pipe Used: Dorchester

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not so terrible as described. The choice (ingredients’ selection) is ok: Virginia, Black Cavendish and Bourbon Whiskey blended together (really I don’t know if before it was better because I didn’t try the first “version” Virginia, Burley and Bourbon). I like this kind of flavoring (bourbon, rum, whiskey, cognac , brandy and so on) because I think it’s a perfect marriage. With these flavorings you can always perceive the tobacco. And indeed, in this mixture you can always savor the taste of tobacco. But it’s essential take care when you mix with others seasonings. I mean that if you are employing some spirit as a chief ingredient, consequently you have to be careful with the “casing” and with the final “top dressing”. And in this mixture you can perceive a bitter aftertaste, probably due to the wrong combination of some seasoning, incompatible with Bourbon Whiskey. For these reasons, in my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 6 and two stars.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The current version is both better and less so in some respects to the older version I smoked twenty plus years ago. The basic flavor seems consistent but lacks that extra bit of sweetness that rounded it out, likely due to ingredient restrictions these days of coarse. On the other hand, there is a real improvement over the older version that had a high amount of stems that were processed and incorporated into the black cavendish part of the blend that seriously affected the smoking experience. So, It's a smoother blend these days with a dark semi sweet character that is uniquely it's own and hard to describe. It doesn't taste or smell like whiskey. It's reminiscent of molasses, chocolate truffle and maybe a bit of dried fig. This is a dryer blend for an aromatic typical of European black cavendish along with the larger proportion of golden virginia it's blended with.

On a side note, I was reminded by this blend of the older Balkan Sobranie from the early 90's, it's base of light and dark virginias which I understand was cased and stoved-cavendish to make up the dark component. It is surprising how well this newer Borkum Riff works as a base for an English mixture; Just add turkish and latakia. It's not Balkan Sobranie but nevertheless it really works.

Similar Blends: Borkum Riff Black Cavendish.

ShadowFox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ShadowFox (8)

I've tried this tobacco recently and I like it. There is not too much of a bite, it has a good taste and mild whisky flavoring. It's not the best of Borkum Riff, but it is a good blend.

Nwpipesmker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nwpipesmker (27)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Living in a place that has limited available opportunities to buy pipe tobacco at a decent price. My go to tobacco was sold out and this was sitting there. I bought a pouch. I opened it and it was as dry as dehydrated water. There was no pouch note. No taste it burnt hot and bit like a rabid dog. Tossed the pouch. I am not going to rate this low nor high. I might amend my review at a later date.

Purchased From: Local b&m

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (32)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Nope...... Sorry, but unless my taste buds have changed dramatically thru the years, this is NOWHERE AND NOTHING like the BR from the 70's. Now, upon reflecting a bit, I am sure I have revamped my tastes somewhat, but it seems like the old warhorses I used to smoke in my youth have all changed for the worst. The Dutchman, Amphora, even Cherry Blend have all been changed. I am an aromatic smoker 75% of the time, so it's not like I have been away from the genre for all this time, but these are truly mediocre OTC blends that have gone south for me.

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: Who knows with OTC blends

Purchased From: Walgreens, CVS, who knows?

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I bought this in a pinch at a mini market.

Nice pouch aroma, looks really pretty in the pouch too. Nice fluffy ribbons that are easy to work with. Lights pretty easily too, with e few charrs to get it going.

The initial light gives a nice vanilla bourbon flavor that is unusual to a non aro smoker like me. The flavor is simple and the topping dies down a third through the smoke. It can nip at your tongue easily if you smoke it hot. It's not a great smoke though altogether. Pretty bland if you normally smoke something more complex. It'll do in a pinch, but may end up in the trash by the end of the day. Meh, 2 1/2 stars maybe. Moving on.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My nephew gave me a sample of this after I told him I had never tried it. It is something I did not want to spend money on as I feared I would not like it. I am a huge whiskey fan as it is always my preferred beverage, but I have yet to really find a whiskey flavored tobacco that I really like despite trying several. My favorite so far is Peterson's Irish whiskey and I think that is more out of the base component tobaccos than it is about the toppings.

I have often seen BR's bourbon whiskey referred to as bitey and I often chalk this up to inexperience of the smoker as it tends to be a pervasive over the counter blend that a new comer to the hobby would see in a lot of tobacco shops. But, smoking this blend, I can see where it would be seen as bitey as it did get pretty hot on the tongue when my concentration slipped.

As to the whiskey flavor, I found it light and inoffensive, but it was nothing like a nice glass of Woodford Reserve on the rocks. As to the underlying leaf, there was nothing too write home about here. No deep earthiness like the aforementioned Peterson blend.

To its credit, I did not find this blend to be goopy like a captain black blend or something such as that. This is likely due to the fact that this is a European aromatic and also, the reason I tend to prefer European aros over our American version of the same.

To this end, I did not really like this blend, but did not really dislike it either. I am leaving it a 2 stars as it did not repulse me enough to throw it out.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (35)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I bought a pouch of this over the weekend because I was completely out of tobacco and wanted something right away, rather than ordering my favourites from online and having to wait a few days. Nearly $60 Australian for one 50g pouch of this. OUCH!

It's just very "OK" to me. It does the trick in a pinch, but I would not be buying this normally.

It smells nice in the pouch, but basically like every other non-fruity aromatic. I can't really smell any bourbon.

Smoking it, I can't really taste bourbon either. It burns my tongue pretty bad, but I puff pretty fast. I don't like having to constantly relight my pipes so I probably smoke them too fast.

Maybe it's because I hadn't had any pipes for a couple of months, but this stuff has been hitting me with a fairly hard nicotine kick. I had to put the pipe down before it was finished once, just because I was worried I'd start feeling ill.

I smoked this outdoors once in company with some cigarette smokers. One commented that she could really smell my tobacco, and I asked her if it smelled nice. The answer was along the lines of "not really nice, just different." So I probably wouldn't recommend this one to someone wanting a really pleasant room note.

tl;dr It's OK in a pinch, but not something I'd buy normally.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bjarne Nielsen, Corncob

Purchased From: Smokemart

Seasoned Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Seasoned Puffer (6)

In the 1970s and 80s, I smoked the black and white tin Borkum Riff Whiskey and liked it very much. In time, I drifted into mixing my own blends as I think most of us do eventually. Recently, for the sake of nostalgia, I bought a pouch of the Bourbon Whiskey blend. It's true, you can't go back. The blending has changed to a degree that it's too sweet for me---leaves a bite I don't remember from the old blend. If you are on the road and forget your tobacco pouch, this would be an OK "drugstore" substitute; otherwise, might be best to wait until you get back home.

Pipe Used: Peterson p-lip Kildare chubby

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: local tobacco shop

wandyhee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wandyhee (16)

Open my 1st pack, smell good easy packing easy lit taste okay but not my choice, maybe it's fine for beginner who want to explore tobacco taste without hurting the wallet

Age When Smoked: New in pack

Purchased From: kamelahtobaccohouse.com

Graham24 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Graham24 (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I purchased this blend just to bide time until my more premium tons come in the mail. Although it may not be by much, I suppose that it was better than nothing. The tobacco itself is moist enough, neither dry nor soaked, and lights just fine. Upon the initial firing of the bowl I did detect the slightest hint of whiskey. Shortly thereafter however the taste faded to a very uninteresting and bland smoke. If smoked slowly, the bite can be avoided and the taste tolerated. I did not hate the tobacco, I just was not impressed. I think next time I will either purchase Captain Black, or just plan my next tin purchase better.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: Fresh and moist

Purchased From: Big D Tobacco and Gifts

Similar Blends: Similar in quality to Captain Black.

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (15)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I tried a pouch of this back in 2008. Pouch aroma was enticing. The tobacco was very dry. Taste was sub-par. The room note was quite pleasant. I ended up adding some cloves which helped improve the taste. I haven't purchased any since then. That is until today. My experience this time was quite different. Pouch aroma was still enticing. The tobacco had good moisture content this time around. The taste was actually pleasant. Decent tobacco notes with a slight sweetness. Room note was quite pleasant. It burned into a light grey ash and left only a slight amount of moisture in the bottom of the bowl. Maybe my first pouch years ago was stale or just plain junk. ? Some love this, some hate this. I would definitely purchase this again assuming the next pouch would be similar to this one. It's worth a try regardless, or even a second try.

Purchased From: Local smoke shop

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a blend that I pick up weekly in the pouch. Scandinavian Tobacco sends me weekly coupons for this for $1.00. So I tend to unpouch it and throw it in a bulk mason jar. I pull it out after a short sit and smoke it when I need something different. In short it is a mild smoke with little bite. I smoke it in a Dutch over size pipe. It burns well if not over packed. Taste is very mild. No tough bite to speak of and it last for an hour and a half. As for taste it is very mild. I never get any of the whiskey taste. Leaves a good room note. For a buck it's a keeper and stays in my rotation. I will say it does not get better if let sit to long. I have jars 2, 3, 4 and five years old. I say no more than a year. I blend the older stuff.

Pipe Used: Dutch mag.

Age When Smoked: Pouch

Purchased From: TRO Tobacco

NHPro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NHPro (4)

First smoke, descent, good room note, burns all the way down. No bite but just not my kind of tobacco. It doesn't have much flavor at all. I enjoy Carter Hall more, and will return to its mild taste again. I will try a few more bowls of BRBW and update my review later.

Okay, I've had more than enough bowls to know what I think about the "Riff" It's a good smoke, but nothing to write home about. Now I don't know how this blend was so popular in the 70's but it was.

Was the 70's blend different, because I don't taste anything!

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year?

Purchased From: Smoking Joe's

Similar Blends: I think this blend may be most like SWR..

mightysmurf8201 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mightysmurf8201 (24)
Mild Mild Very Mild Strong

Got this in a pipe tobacco of the month club offering from P&C. Smelled pretty good in the pouch. Moisture level in the pouch was just right. Packs and lights well. Burns just fine. Very little Bourbon flavor, but it is there. I don't like smoking this in my briars, as it makes them smell like cigarettes for a while after. Room note is mildly pleasant while smoking it, but if you smoke it inside, the room will smell like stale cigarettes a little while later and it takes awhile to get rid of. Not a terrible smoke, but with so many other options out there, I don't see myself smoking this again.

Pipe Used: Briars, cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh Pouch

Purchased From: P&C

Ghiltor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghiltor (2)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

I smoked two packages of this tobacco in a row this year. And I can say that, if you look for a tobacco which has a mild flavoring and taste, you had better to try this one.

Pipe Used: chacom, sahin and meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 0

Purchased From: Vienna/Austria, Tokyo/Japan

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Sweet burley, smokes very coolly. Aftertaste always gets me in these drug store baccys. Good price and I don't mind a bowl every now and them.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)
Mild Medium Mild Unnoticeable

WTF happened to this ? Its hot, bites badly, and has no burley in it ! When it was just burley and Virginia it was good, now it sucks !! This is bad, why did lane ruin this once good smoke ??? Don't waste your money !

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

Neptune's trousers! this stuff is God awful. If you took your ass and left it out in the hot summer sun for a week, this is what it would taste like. That's just the initial taste. The after taste is worse. It's a slowly dying taste of essence of sun soaked rotten ass and strong copper rod.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This was the first Tobacco,I cut my proverbial-teeth on(30yrs ago)I took it for a spin,2mnths back...To see if it was as HOT+Mediocre as i remember....Indeed still"Poor"drugstore-tobacco!I would recommend it if;you have a Texas-Mickey of Whiskey to conquer over a long weekend(so you don't use up your good tobacco/and still have something to smoke) :-{

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)

Tried this some thirty five years ago, and once was enough. I'm not sure if I finished the pouch, I just remember a hint of cheap boubon on cavendish that burned on the hot side, judging by the reviews below, nothing has changed. How this could be recommended to new pipe smokers is beyond me.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

all i can say is YUCK, terrible!!! I threw up after half the bowl, it hit my stomach and boom. very displeased. first it was to dry, then no flavor of any kind, and the tobacco flavor was sickening. after a day or so i tried another bowl, lightly packed, and i didn't upchuck but it was still the same nasty crap, it truly deserves one star mabey less!

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Manyyears ago this was a classic. Now it is typical of drug store tabackey. It is not cheap and thre are plety of better offerings for much less. look to C&D or Lane. Just don't look for Borkum Riff. It is goopy, wet and vegital in taste by mid smoke. Too bad. A once fine blent destroyed.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

Ah, memory lane... I see we have two Borkum Riff whiskey blends here on TR being reviewed. I suspected they were the same with pouch styles leading to confusion. I am not going to clear that possible state up in the least. And I am going against the flow of the earlier reviews here with my opinion. Two days ago, while refilling an Rx at local supermarket I wandered over to tobacco shelves as I waited. There rested a single, lone pouch of Borkum Riff Whiskey in front of a full facing of BR Whiskey pouched as the image above. This lone pouch was in the familiar black and white with a red ribbon denoting "Whiskey". This was the package I was familiar with; I would never have bought the others. (Lesson for the power of visual branding in marketing). I bought it without hesitation despite panning reviews here. Back in 1970, when I once ran out of my #965 while on campus I went to local pharmacy to get something to smoke until I could get home to Tobak- Va Beach for 965 replenishment. BR was something new. I bought it. I smoked it. I liked it. (I know...heresy for an English fan). Later, upon return home I found this in a handsome tin and bought it as the trade-off smoke to my 965. I'm not sure why I quit it. Perhaps the Dunhill appealed more then, it certainly does now. Back to present day: I got home and grabbed my Kaywoodie billiard - a coincidence that this was the same pipe I used in college to smoke this. I lit up. Yuck. This couldn't be the same stuff I used to enjoy. Is everything "better in the past"? No, it was my pipe. After two bowls which gave me an astringent, chalky, almost bitey experience I set the pouch aside for storage and mentally prepared another panning review for my friends here. This afternoon, however, on a whim, I tried this in another pipe I keep for aromatics - a little used, but very clean, dry Brebbia and ...the pipe was the problem. This blend was as enjoyable for me, in small batches as I used to smoke it, as ever. Now, I wouldn't be buying more and I think there are both better and worse whiskeys available now, but I enjoyed it enough to (shock) rate it 3 stars

(and Kaywoodie is in dry dock)

Percy Dovetussel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Percy Dovetussel (7)

In 1969 I tried my first pouch of Borkum Riff tobacco in a pouch that cost .35 cents for 2 and 1/2 ounces. I had a corn cob pipe (I was 14 years old). At the time, the mixture was very moist and well matured. I thought it was the greatest pipe tobacco I ever smoked. I nearly went through the whole pouch and often would spend evenings like Sherlock Holmes, piling large quantities of smoked portions on a table along with a gallon of iced tea to cool the tongue. I always considered this blend to be the "Marlboro" of the pipe tobacco industry. The mixture became very popular later much to my dismay because the quality began to decline in that the moisture content vanished, the quantity was reduced, the tin version discontinued, and the sudden propensity of different flavors led to diffuse enjoyment as the company ventured into Cherry blends, Congac, Champagne, Rum, etc. All for naught. However, the brand still is around and is popular to this day. I abandoned the brand long ago in favor of others and in the long run had stopped smoking for a period due to the ill health of one of my children. When I returned, Caesar Borgia was available and I thought it's amphora like qualities were a notch above returning to my old habits. There is no doubt that this is still a prince of tobaccos and you will find it a decent "everyday" blend.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I tried this one years ago as I was always attracted to the aroma when a fellow piper was smoking it. I had to smoke it slowly as it burned hot and would most definitely bite if puffed too hard. None of that delectable room note was ever present for me as I smoked it, and its overall flavor was way too mild. I always enjoyed it when it was in someone elses pipe, but not when in mine. That translates to 2 stars for me.

UPDATE 7-18-12: Picked up a 200 gram tin from JR Tobacco last night and must say it was better tasting than remembered. Still a very beautiful room note. All in all, raising it a star to recommended.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was really disappointed with this one, i had great expectations as my father smoked this blend for several years and raved about it(whether or not the mixture has changed over the years i dont know) the tobacco and cut resmbled and smelled something of cigarette baccy and i couldnt detect the "bourbon" in pouch at all. It packed well and stayed lit, but it bured awfully hot and fats too. Once again i couldnt detect any bourbon topping, it was more of a vanilla, maybe a bit of maple? I think in a pinch id smoke it but if i had the choice id smoke something else.

paulwfromtheden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulwfromtheden (14)

As enjoyable as I can remember it. This tobacco just seems to get better and better. On the recommendations on here I tried this for the first time and found it thoroughly enjoyable. Actually, I have changed my mind....I'm sure the tobacco has changed over the last couple of years, it's shit.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (24)

This isn't a bad tasting tobacco. It's casing is worthwhile and the tobacco they use isn't a bad quality for the money. It tastes pretty good smoked slowly but don't expect any 'woohooing' going on. I don't want to turn anyone away from it however and I do enjoy it with whiskey flavoured coffee in the afternoon or out on the porch. It's room note is quite nice, similar to a sweet whiskey that's sat in an open barrel for a couple days and allowed to evaporate until only sugar remained. If you want a pleasant smoke for peanuts then pick up a pack from your drug store. You may or may not pick up another. I do recommend it though and it's quality isn't too bad. It gets a little better with age and I do recommend for you to keep it's moisture content high or higher then as it comes as. Not a badly cased tobacco in my opinion.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco was a bit of a surprise for me. I was expecting the cheap, stale taste of Capt. Black, and the other similar crap cavandish...But this, which I bought in the pouch, is a very decent drug store blend that is worth picking up on a whim. The tobacco is in a cut similar to shag rolling tobacco, and in the my pouch, I found the moisture to be prefect...the pouch aroma is great, as well as the scrumtious smoke that even anti-smoking cry babies will adore. This did smoke rather quickly, yet cool and even. It satisfied desire for nicotine, but still I would rather see more kick to this blend, but on the stronger side of the drug-store variety. This, Im sure, will battle many times with Half & half for my attention, which is my other favorite cheap tobak...Oh! and I heard a rumor that Stephen King likes this blend...but who knows.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

I smoked this on a regular basis for about two yrs. It was before I found tobacco reviews com.Ilike it and always keep some around.Every so often I have a bowl for something differant and it still taste good.I will add there are much better tobacs around but i can pick this up any time. Not a bad smoke for the money.