Borkum Riff Special Mixture No. 8 is a blend of more than ten exceptional tobaccos that make for a product with a good range of colours. The rich and satisfying smoking experience is further underscored by its agreeable bouquet and complex aroma with distinct vanilla notes.

BrandBorkum Riff
Blended BySwedish Match
ContentsMaryland, Burley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Virginia, Black Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish
FlavoringVanilla

2.7
thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (23)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Another fine addition to the borkum range. Very loose in the pack with just the right moisture content to load straight into your pipe. Aromas from the pack include a nutty sweetness tinged with a whisper of vanilla. Smoking this lovely tobaccobis a gift. Light fresh and sweet. It is never cloying sweet and not a hint of tongue bite. I will say this is best to sipped as i think it does have the potential to bite. Room note is one of the best i have smelled. It has a lovely fresh fruity fragrance which is sure to please even the most ardent of none smokers. Nicotine is very mild but there is just enought to refresh and revitalise. Only bad point is this blend is not available in the uk so once my pack is gone its gone.

Pipe Used: alco with apple bowl

Age When Smoked: three months

Purchased From: a small shop in heraklion centre

Harry Haller Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harry Haller (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This i a tobacco that someone needs to start with.
Easy to smoke, to light up and to fills up the pipe satisfactory.
At the start gives you a nice cool smoke without a tongue bite.
Properly taste balance in the middle of smoking sweet vanilla with a dark chocolate.
I smoke it with filter and without. Without the filter leaves your tongue sweet with a pleasant sensation. Allthough sometimes gets also boring the taste.
At the end it gives you a burnt aroma which destroys all the flavors.

I recommend it for Rookie with a corncob pipes as well for a daytime tobacco. An easy choice to find.

Pipe Used: 5

Similar Blends: Scandinavik Mixture , Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Not so readily available in the UK, I actually got a sample 3g sachet of No.8 as an unexpected freebie with a tin of Japanese Asuka. A bit of a one-shot taster, for sure, but I just about managed to stretch it to two pipes for reviewing purposes.

The contents list reads like a dream-team of tobaccos and although visually comparable with a bog-standard cavendish, the aroma is deep and sensually alive. It makes for an interesting marriage of cherry stones, vanilla, and seasoned, dried apples - and yet it remains delicately smoky. I have to say that it's pretty evocative of seasonal niche tobaccos, and as such, reminds me of Peterson's Christmas 2009 mixture.

Much like Peterson's offering, the taste of No.8 fell way, way short of expectation: light on flavour; airy; papery - all rather insipid, really. It certainly would be a crime to cough up £8.50 of hard-earned English Sterling for a full tin. Even the Queen would appear extra-miserable on the front of the £10 note you'd have to hand over.

That said, It did scrape back kudos with a pleasing side stream of baked fruit and vanilla, but it was at messy odds with that horrendously bland taste. By the mid-bowl, it was smoking dry, with a toasty finish. And by 'dry' I don't mean dry as in the moisture content, but dry like a wine, which was an interesting positive to take from the experience. However, there was still time for a touch of chemically-induced tongue bite, which made things a little too prickly for comfort. When it came to my second pipe, things faired a little better - leading to my recommendation that you smoke this in nothing bigger than a medium sized bowl.

If 2 stars are my median, Borkum Riff Special Reserve No.8 is definitely a sub-par tobacco. It is neither delightful, nor offensive. It just is; propping up the blander end of the commercial market.

1.7 stars

Stilbon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stilbon (9)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Easily the best blend of Borkum Riff I've tried (and I've tried them all). Of the drug store blends, I think Special No.8 stands out as a nice go-to tobacco if you're in the mood for something simple and sweet with a delightful aroma. Reminds me a bit of Captain Black White and 1Q in having that classic "pipe" smell I remember from the days of my youth visiting my uncle's home.

Upon opening the pouch you're greeted by the scents of a nutty, vanilla concoction. Nicely cut ribbon strands of assorted black and gold. Lights up well on the first match and burns all the way down without a relight. This was quite surprising because I usually find heavily cased blends of the drug store variety to turn into a sticky mess after smoking. This one burned nice and dry, no goop or stickiness in my bowl upon finishing.

The flavor is definitely sweet but not cloyingly so. I tend to like aromatics so there may be a little bias in my review but this stuff smells amazing! Not a complex smoke by any means, just pleasant and sweet when you want to kick back and fill your surroundings with the scent of a musty bookshop. Easy all day smoke as the vitamin N level is almost non-existent. Also, no tongue bite after chugging away at it.

A definite winner from BR (finally...) on par with the ilk of CB White if you like the easy going aromatics on occasion.

Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I find the tobacco of this blend of good quality, this is a complex mixture of DFK and burley in ribbon cut, the top flavoring is mild and discrete, there is no vanilla I could detect but some floral aroma, the smoke is dry and tasty, with no bite if smoked properly, it is slightly sweet, with nice room note.

Update: the top flavoring is not vanilla, its something that I dont like, this blend is to try if you dont have any better choice.

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (13)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is by far the nicest Borkum Riff mix I have tried, definitely a thumbs up for pouch tobacco aromatics. Easy to light, easy on the palate, think I will definitely buy this again for a quick go-to work around the garage, go fishing everyday smoke.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

snuffysmiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
snuffysmiff (7)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well, this one was a real surprise. I inherited this as part of a friend's estate along with many other pouches which I have never tried. I invariably smoke flakes but the pack looked nice so I thought I'd give it a go. The aroma on opening is fantastic, vanilla with clear notes of burley and Kentucky. It burns well, the flavour carrying through the whole smoke leaving a very pleasing room note. I just hope I can find some more.

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (14)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I find this tobacco too sweet for me. I have to mix it with bitter tobaccos to really enjoy it. Maybe it's because I don't eat so much sugar...

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sweet.

This might be too sweet for most, but when you crave a sweet hit, this is a cheap and easy option.

It is readily available and cheap where I live. It packs easily, lights easily, burns evenly, and you don't need sugar in your coffee if you smoke this. Effortless smoking.

I find myself comparing this blend with Erinmore Mixture every time I smoke either. Erinmore Mixture is more subtle, whereas this has a more even and consistent burn. Room note is pleasant, but it can linger.

This is one of Borkum Riff's better blends, perhaps their best. This might be the ideal choice for the pipe noob: cheap, easy to pack, light and smoke, with enough "feedback" to discourage fast puffing. Stay away if you are not a confirmed sweet-tooth.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I dont care much about Borkum Riff blends but this one stands out of the ordinary BR blends. Paired with Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, this blend provides a nice and satisfying aromatic smoke.Soft and mellow, easy to pack, does not burn hot and delivers an outstnding room note. The pouch aroma is also marvelous, maybe the best interpretation to what vanilla smells thus far. Very good if you like a mellow aromatic smoke now and then. Does not leave the pipe gooopy. Good job BR on this one.