Exclusive Ready Rubbed mixture. Very lightly flavored. Cut is a very fine short ribbon, with a small amount of broken flake.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Medium, Medium to Full
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

This one was a surprise to me. I'm very sensitive to the taste of "Lakeland florals", preferring to refer to them as "soap" since that's what it tastes like to me. There was some of that flavor in this blend and, for some reason, it absolutely worked for me! It did burn off relatively quickly, as other reviewers have noted, but it stayed long enough to perhaps mellow the tobacco through the whole bowl. Just speculation on my part, but this brought to mind what might be accomplished by layering strong tobaccos with lighter ones. Interesting!

As mentioned, this produced a bit of a fruity, grassy flavor that segued into a combo of light and heavy - but never TOO heavy. In a sense, this is a confounding tobacco to review. All I can really say is that whatever G&H did to it, they did it "right" to my taste buds. It doesn't quite merit 4 stars but it's very close. If you can find some, try an oz or so. I'm going to pick up more of this.

The Lakeland scent and honey make an interesting mix of toppings because you taste them both, and somehow, they work well together. They do sublimate the Virginia and burley a little, but you will get a decent amount of the grass, nut and earth qualities of those tobaccos. There are a few dark fruity notes here and there, too. The Lakeland scent diminishes some as you reach the half way point, but it never totally vanishes. Burns perfectly with no issues or moisture, and while it's not quite an all day smoke, it's worth repeating during your smoking day, and also makes a nice change of pace smoke with a welcome richness that never ends.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (32)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In the bag, Rich Dark Honeydew has the strong soapy smell that comes with many Lakeland style blends. I get no flavor of Honeydew at all. I find it a little bitter without much sweetness. Even though there is no Latakia in it, I get a bit of smokiness. I enjoy a lot of Lakeland style blends, but I find this one is too soapy and leaves a taste of stale perfume in my mouth. The strength of RDH isn’t too strong for me, but it is on the strong side. I don’t get any bite from this blend but that is my only positive. RDH isn’t a blend I will be smoking again anytime soon.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The thought of honeydew and tobacco in the same sentence I thought was not possible for most of my pipe smoking life, but Gawith Hoggarth has that great way with scents. Yes, its a bit soapy in the pouch and arrives a bit moist. But for the most part its a fairly strong tobacco (which I like!) with a nice background sweetness and scent of honeydew that works. Other than the name, RDH is nothing like a typical aromatic. I was also able to try some well aged RDH and the tobacco had grown very dark and rich so not only does this taste well new, but it is an excellent blend for the cellar! Recommended.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (117)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Is this supposed to be a clone of Gallaher's long defunct Rich Dark Honeydew? I don't remember the Gallaher original, but I thought this a very successful blend in its own right: slow burning and with a distinctive flavour that isn't soapy or gimmicky. It's not a mild tobacco in terms of Vitamin N, but it isn't unduly strong either. The room note is pleasant in a traditional sort of way, and it doesn't leave any messy goop behind in the bottom of the bowl. There's a slight bitter aftertaste, I found, but, on the whole, I liked this a lot. I've bought it several times now, and it's establishing itself as one of my regulars. I recommend it warmly to people who value what I think of as old-fashioned blends. To my mind, it's a good smoke for a long winter walk in the country. Don't rush it, though, or it'll get hot and bitter. Not one of my all-time favourites, but I'm happy to recommend it.

Purchased From: Durham Pipes and Tobacco, Durham, UK

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Well most of the reviewers here seem to be of one mind and I concur!

Not a typical Lakeland by any means, which for me is good. Some Va/Bur blends can be heavy going, but here the flavouring works beautifully to just add some sweetness which takes the edge off and provides a very pleasant smoke. Beware though, it is so easy-going that you can find yourself smoking it quickly and, if you do, it will kick you in the pants!

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Just had a bowl of this (I've had a few) in a Yello-Bole I just found out is probably from the early to mid 30s. This to me is a sign from above that it's time to review. True, I have not had all that many smokes of this recently aquired weed, but it's pretty straightforward. Nice thin ribbon, almost a shag. They really did mean that about a "small amount of broken flake;" I just noticed it while breaking out this last bowl, and until I got in here and read that description, thought the literally one piece I found had just made it in by accident!

Not a Lakeland floral topping. Almost a MacBaren-type topping, but it smokes differently than a MacBaren. I can tell it's GH. A little sweeter, perhaps. Honeydew, not just honey! Burns consistently throughout the bowl, tastes about the same all the way, no matter what the smoking rate, though best sipped, like most things. I do get the urge to puff a bit with tobaccos like this, though. No harm results to my tongue with Rich Dark Honeydew. The name isn't quite right: it's mainly light brown, with some darker flecks. Rich, but not strong or all that complex. No problem; nice smoke I will enjoy going to quite often.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

gnossos is a fellow SF member and his review of G&H Rich Dark Honeydew is spot on with my impressions (other than the fact I could taste Virginia leaf in this blend). Almost a "campfire" effect when smoking, particularly near the bottom of the bowl, I found this to be a tasty choice without much added (if any) flavoring or Lakeland scent.

It's a little hard to find, by the way.

Gawith Hoggarth Rich Dark Honeydew. This gives off a sweet almost floral aroma un-lit, but fear not, once lit there's no floral note at all, just a good tobacco taste with some extra sweetness! It's of a decent amount of hydration, I don't think anyone could pick fault with it in that department! Back onto the taste, it gives a great amount of each of the tobaccos, they're very evenly matched, a good hay like Virginia note with an easily noticed Burley nutty quality. This burns well, it doesn't need hardly any re-lights and the smoke that it gives off is fairly cool with quite a thick texture. Tongue bite? Well it doesn't give me any tongue bite, I know that we all vary with that but I really think this is so tame in that area that the worst it could do would be to give a slight 'nip'! This burns fairly slow, it would make a good long evening smoke to unwind with. The nicotine is mild in this one so I couldn't see it being much use for a morning nicotine smoke! A decent smoke that just lacks the quality needed for four stars, so I give it three!

Pipe Used: Askwith Chubby Poker

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (72)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I was also surprised...that I like this so much. The cut is quite fine, sorta shaggy. That sure does help the burn cause this one just takes off and goes all the way to the bottom with ease. If smoked slowly it has quite a good flavor...rather like some of the other 'brown & twisty' Gawith's, but with that light aroma of honey-whatever. I don't get honeydew, as in the melon...but maybe others on the opposite end of the pipe do. One of my favorites? No. A nice agreeable change of pace? Certainly!

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

This is a nice tobacco, fine cut shag, can burn hot if not careful. The flavor is lovely, dark, sweet, fruity, but goes away fairly quickly, probably due to the flavors being added by casing. I like it, but prefer other G&H tobacco such as Kendal Kentucky which has a more straightforward flavor but it stays throughout the smoke.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Very, very smooth. A touch of scent, but not of the ordinary "lakeland" (read: Ennerdale) sort. This does have a touch of perfume, but more earthy and gives way to full bodied dark tobacco flavor. My guess is that it's mainly a fired burley shag with the scent. It is less "perfumey" than Coniston Cut Plug or Bosun Cut Plug.

Will never bite. Enough nicotine to keep it interesting. Perfect for a stormy day. Even if you are wary of "scented" blends, give this one a go - it's different and very, very good.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend has been sitting on the board, looking lonely and un-reviewed since it was added. I guess I'll give it a shot.

First off, it is a little more than 'lightly flavored', but not too much. I don't get any perfume from this one. What I do taste is maybe a numbed down Rum Flake taste or a supercharged Sir Walter Raliegh aromatic quality, sometimes both. It's a pretty good flavor as far as top coats go. But there is nothing I would call melon flavor, if that's what you're looking for in this 'Honeydew' (I wasn't).

The tobaccos are definitely there for the tasting too. As to what they are, I'm going with a combination of virginias and some burley, maybe a little bit like Brown Flake. Like Brown Flake, it can be taught to bite, but usually won't when not abused.

Facit: This is a nice rich, satisfying blend. Easy to load and it burns well, though it's unique taste may taint your cake. I don't smoke this often, but when I do it's a nice treat. (___________this is the place where my joke would be. it has been left out, due to drastic content, to protect the overtly sensitive___________)

p.s. (2 days later) My Dad just popped in for a two week visit and has has been smoking this quite a bit in the evenings, albeit with comments as to strength. It does indeed smell nice in the room department. Tonight I plan to tell him the unpublishable joke.