A traditional mixture of Red Virginia, Turkish, Burley, Latakia and Perique. A great introduction to English style pipe smoking. A unique Medium strength blend.

BrandAbenaki Tobacco Co.
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutMixture
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
Mild, Medium, Medium to Full
2.7
owaindav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
owaindav (6)

I was very pleased with this tobacco. One of my first English blends, I found it very nice. There's enough latakia to taste but not to overpower. No tongue bite. The description is very good, "...great introduction to English style..."

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (17)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Stonehenge English is not a bad tobacco, though it is not to my taste. The burley predominates (it's good burley, with plenty of chocolate overtones) and there is plenty of Perique (it made me sneeze). The orientals are very subdued and I didn't detect the Red Virginias that Abenaki cites in their description.

The taste is fairly complex for a burley and very smooth, with no bite. The first half of the smoke is best, after that it becomes a bit muddy tasting. Stonehenge English packs and lights easily, and burns cleanly. I believe it contains propylene glycol, since it has that oily feel and doesn't dry out, but not too much since it doesn't leave gunk in the bottom of the bowl like many cheap blends.

If you're partial to burley and want to try something a little different, maybe Stonehenge English is for you (though I'll stick with Abenaki's Turkish Balkan for the Virginias and Latakia). Like all Abenaki blends, the price is right.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very flavourful and smooth blend. It is, I believe, Altadis 502, medium english. Not really an english since it has perique and burley. No odds though, since the flavour is broad and ever complex due to the types of leaf present. Easy to pack and smokes like a dream, consistent and without much coaxing-- maybe a dash of PEG added since it's a bulk. Almost feels like it is a crossover blend, because I feel it is not as "dry" as I would expect an unflavoured blend. Elements of smokiness, nutty and overripe fruity.... It is possible that the burley has a volatile fragrance added, but this does not make it an aromatic by any stretch of the imagination. Would I stock it? Yes, I in fact already have. Great service and a reasonable price from Anna too..