Hand blended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. Vintage red,ripe and mellow from the crop of 2001. Natural sweetness and zest. In limited quantity

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

3.4
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I knew I should have waited..... But, since I've smoked every vintage of Christmas Cheer except this one, I figured I'd give it a try. Rough around the edges, but certainly has the potential to age well. The tobacco arrived very chunky in the tin and was certainly not yet in smokeable form the way I like to work the leaf.

I have read where some reviewers do not appreciate the difficulty in rubbing 2007 CC out. Try taking a pipeful or two out of the tin and place it on a paper towel or napkin for an hour or two. Then rub it out with ease. The moisture content should have dissipated substantially and keeping it lit will not be a problem.

This vintage tasted a bit stronger and was more odorous than the most recent offerings. Perhaps I'm being an optimist, but I really do believe this one could develop into a bellringer with 5 or more years of age to it. My other two tins are now in my "cellar."

A bit on the darker side of the CC's I've smoked, with McClellands typically pungent fermented tin aroma. Thicker flakes than previous versions I've smoked, and came wetter than I like. In fact, it took an overnight out on a paper towel to get this dry enough to fully enjoy. Comments are based on 2 oz, as I want to save the other 2 since this is my only tin.

Very balanced blend, with a total harmony of grassiness, sweetness, spiciness and tang. Rarely did any of these come to the fore except for the very end of the bowl, when the spiciness took over just a bit. Balanced... and that was I think what kept it from a 4th star. This had none of the brashness of 2005 (and '06 to a degree) and little of it's spicy roundness. This was flat in comparison, but still a tasty blend. I think I would have liked it more if one of those four attributes took over and lead the parade. But there is a place for blends like this in my rotation, for when I don't want to pay close attention to the flavors as they build in other blends. As with all the CC's, this is unfritzed-with Virginia tobacco - very natural. And all the different years I've smoked taste at least somewhat different. This one is mellow and inoffensive. For my taste it could have been a bit bolder. But it's a nice blend as it is, and I can't expect them all to be as incredible as the '05. Recommended for VA lovers that prefer balance.

This one was a little stronger than some of the other CCs. Hardly any grass notes, more earthy, not quite as tangy as I expected or savored in other years. Still had the familiar "vinegar" smell, though I didn't notice it much at all, not even in the first few puffs. The flake was thicker than usual, too. It was still sweet with dark fruit notes, and a very bare hint of spice here and there. Has a mild nic-hit, and won't bite or get harsh. Burned slow, need a number of relights and left some dottle even with some dry time, though I did not completely dry it out. Has a pleasant after taste and room note. An all day smoke.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am usually a fan of latakia in some degree or another. I am also a cigar aficionado and have switched to pipes after a long hiatus...20 years or so...and am now coming back with a vengence and love getting back to briar and the diversity of pipe tobacco. I decided to try McClelland upon a recommendation from my tobacconist and loved the can (that's right, I did judge a book by the cover). It was also two days before Christmas and thought I would try a Christmas Blend for a bit of a change. Upon opening the can, it did smell like ketchup. The first pipe was OK and before I was completed with that first bowel, I was thinking I wasted my time and wanted a taste of latakia. My second bowl a few days later was surprisingly better and after a few more bowls, I was sold that this was a blend I would keep as a regular.

I think this will age nicely and will buy a few tins to stash away. Am now going to venture out to Virginans which are not blended with latakia. Any recommendations anyone? The room note is very pleasant and one test that gives any tobacco that I smoke is the comments from my wife. She loved it. I also feel it leaves a nice cake on the bowls. I do not detect any tongue bite. Really a tobacco I can smoke everyday.

Addition #1: Smoked this in one of my meerschums and it was truely a treat. Smoked very cool and was a nice mouth wash after a strong Odessey smoke tonight.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)

Nice smoke few relights I cut the flakes into smaller chunks . It is a grassy sweet smoke . Ton opening smell like vinegar or ketchup woth a nose tickle of spice.I smoked it down to the bowl . I did puff agressive and got some bite but thays my fault Churchwarden was used. ..

Pipe Used: Churchwarden pipe

Age When Smoked: aged 7 years

Flyerdog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyerdog (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I love this tobacco. As for what it smells like in the tin - I could care less. I often see various CC vintages compared to Ratrays Old Gowrie but that is comparing apples to oranges, or in this case Mature VA to VAPers. A better comparison for OG would be McClelland Beacon - which is one of my favorites behind CC.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

Primarily a smoker of Oriental blends, I smoke Virginias as a change of pace. While it's unlikely that I'll ever convert to the notion that straight Virginias are the most interesting tobaccos to smoke, as MeCelland claims, the Christmas Cheer series offers what is probably some of the best Virginia leaf available in a vintage year format. It took me since 2008 to finish this tin but it was always enjoyable--sweet, rich and complex. I'll move on to the 2008 incarnation next, which should have matured nicely in the tin.

I always have trouble reviewing Christmas Cheer. They are all great for lovers of pure Virginias (like me), but even though the Virginias come from different growing areas, the taste differences are so subtle (at least to me) that it is difficult to compare and contrast them. The only one that I think I could identify blindfolded among the ones I've tried is the 2002, which seems to take the idea of single-crop purity found in this series to the level of outright austerity...

The 2007 is just what one expects from the CC series: pure, American Virginia served up in the McClelland way.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Its 4 years old now and while a its enjoyable, it doesnt blow me away. Standing alone, its a little weak for me. Still quality though. If only they could get rid of that god awful ketchup smell from the tin.

Update. The more i smoke of this the more it's subtle flavours come out. It's teaching me to enjoy milder Va's. After 4 months the vinegar smell is all but gone and now smells very nice. Up to 4 stars.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I am a virginia lover and find the "ketchup" tin smell from McClelland virginia's wonderful. So, you know what I think. Sweet and tangy like citrus with a spicy background. My pallate is not as refined as some, I'm sure, therefore I find each year to taste somewhat similar, but that is fine by me because I love them. No need to concentrate while smoking this one the sweetness comes through easily.

2PiR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
2PiR (1)

Well, I put it off as long as I could. I've been eyeing my tin of Christmas Cheer for two years. So, on Christmas Eve I have decided to open it as a treat and to also break in a new pipe.

Upon opening the tin, I was greeting by McClellands classic virginia aroma. I personally think it smells good and is a sign of high quality. Small, dark broken flakes abound. With closer inspection, I noticed sugar crystals have formed on the flakes. Excellent! Moisture seems just right, definately not on the dry side. I rubbed out a bowl and loaded my new Elliot Lovat. Two lights, a tamp, and I'm greeted with a soft spicey smoke. Reminds me of cloves and apples but not in an aromatic way of course, just high quality aged red virginias.

Treat yourself this holiday to a bowl of Christmas Cheer and make sure to add some to the cellar.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (30)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

An excellent example of McC's Christmas Cheer that only gets better with age.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a very, very good Virginia when aged for 1 year or more, It is also much better few months after opening the tin, this is a Virginia with the typical McClelland ketchup aroma however it is a sublime and memorable Virginia, available from eBay, you must try it at least once!

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Peeling the tin back... peeling the tin back...finally! WHOA!!!! What a smell! It's ok though, because this was my first tinned Virginia. I was expecting that ketchup smell everyone talks about and I sure as hell got it. Having smoked mostly aromatics, I've been growing tired of the same old great smell but no taste effect. I tried some Virginia's and had great tastes, but horrible room note. Here is a tobacco that has the benefits of a good room note and leaves a slightly sweet/spicy after taste. Be sure to dry it out a bit. Puff slow and hold it for a few secs to let that subtle sweetness present itself.

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (11)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Mmmmmm... read all the other 4 star reviews and I concur. Nice!

Add'l Note: The ketchup smell was unreal and interesting. I spread this stuff out and let it dry out for about 12 hours and put it back in the tin. The ketchup smell eventually died out and what was left was a very pleasant spicy smell with hints of cloves. Nice indeed.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This isn't one of my favourite McClellands. It smells just fine and it smokes..well just about tolerably, but it doesn't give you what you expect from these masters of the art. I wish it tasted as good as it smells...which is something like Christmas Plum Pudding...but it never delivers anything other than a VA ready to bite you at any second. Shame really. I have one more tin and I'll hide that away for a year or so and hope it matures a bit.

Updated review June 2008

I'm still working through the same tin I reviewed earlier and I must admit that I am enjoying it more now. There's less of the plum pudding and more of a scent of cloves and cinnamon and this is coming through in the smoking as well. I rubbed out the entire contents, not something I normally do and that combined with a few months airing in the tin seems to have improved the smoking qualities really well.

Upped to 3 stars now:-)

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)

My Christmas Cheer 2007 arrived last week. It is also the first time I tried any of these seasonal tobacco's. I really loved the smell from the freshly opened tin: ripe, fruity and spicy and possibly a Perique smell as well. But this is not stated in the description! I might add some of my own to a few pipefuls soon.. It is a broken flake, dark brown in appearance and I haven't yet decided whether to rub it out or not. For the rest, a quality matured VA, zesty and spicy, sip it!

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (52)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My first Christmas Cheer. I have started a new tradition! What a wonderful blend. Rubs out easily, a mild and flavorful smoke. A little on the moist side, but well within what I am used to for a pressed cake. Remarkable!

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I really like McClelland Virginias and this is no exception. The key to some of these McClelland flakes to me is the preparation as the broken flakes are rather thick and unruly. I find that if I don't rub these flakes out, I can't keep them burning.

The bottom line is if you have some skills and patience and can get the tobacco to where it smolders, it is excellent. I do prefer smaller gauge pipes for Christmas Cheer of any vintage.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)

yes...this tobacco smells like vinegar...and yes..it smells like ketchup...and indeed...it is moist. but, beyond that...I love the 07 offering. It's a smooth, yet rather complex taste of Va's. It rubs out easily. it does need to be dried properly. It burns to the bottom without too much effort. honestly...if you like Virginia blends, then you will love all of McClelland's Christmas Cheer blends. IMO the aroma and taste have no equal. I found the room note to be very pleasing, yet my friends did complain a little. For me, this tobacco is another joy of the Christmas season to look forward too.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

While I am thiking about ordering a new Virginia, I read the reviews, do some thinking, and ask myself what this new tobacco can bring to my cellar that others before it has not. When I took the plunge, there were no reviews on this one as yet, curiosity got the better of me. I thought to myself that surely, since the other years got such high ratings, this one must be great too, right??? WRONG When I think Virginia tobacco, I think of a 'baked bread' taste, or cookies and milk, I will refer to Rattrays Old Gowrie as the benchmark.

Christmas Cheer 2007 is a very bad Virginia, it reeks of cheap aftershave in the tin, as bad as that is, the taste does not entirely go away while smoking, instead along comes the taste of cloves just to ruin your day.

Save your money, buy something good. The Rattray trio is a good place to start but there are tens of blends that will delight you and give you your moneys worth.

Mo, South Africa

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I hate to stand out and dissent but as a person who really thrives on a number of McClelland blends, I can't say I see much to this one.

Forget the smell from the tin - I didn't buy it to sniff. A bit on the moist side, the second and third bowls I tried were improved thanks to some air drying.

Overall, Christmas Cheer 2007 has a slightly sweet, pleasant taste. It is a good tobacco, just not one I go 'whoopie' over. I didn't get a bite from it but I also didn't get any strong flavor or nicotine jolt - I really want one or the other or both.

The room aroma didn't disturb either humans or cats in my household. I much prefer the McClelland Frog Morton series.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

I must echo what has been written prior. This is a great blend. I quite enjoyed the tin aroma as it had a certain citrus sweet aroma to me. I usually dry this for about 2 hours before smoking it. I also bought two extra tins to cellar.

WayOutWest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WayOutWest (1)

I love this blend. Be forewarned as this is my first Tinned and especially non-aromatic tobacco.

I love this. Tin aroma is a nice tobacco and fruity smell that entices you from the start. The tobacco is pressed flakes that break easily to be packed. I don't know how or what "rubbing" out is so I just broke apart the flakes and packed it accordingly. It definitely arrives moist, too moist, so I let each bowl full of broken flakes to dry out for 2-4 hours. You need to do this less as the days go by. The flavor is exactly what I want in a pipe tobacco. An honest true all day smoke. The spicy virginias are superb. I really enjoy smoking this and hope to order one more tin before Christmas.

sam