The confluence of the Cooper and Ashley Rivers create Charleston Harbor, the most important port in the antebellum South. Following trade winds, goods flowed to points north and, especially, across the Atlantic to the great British ports of call. Commemorating the Cooper River's contribution to world trade, we have selected choice Orientals and Cyprian Latakia to accent a base of fine Bright Leaf and Red Virginias to create this exceptional medium English Flake.

BrandLow Country Pipe & Cigar

3.9
Kapnismologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kapnismologist (30)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A moist thinly sliced, predominantly dark brown flake veined and mottled with lighter streaks of brown, chestnut, and dark tan. The tin nose offers a rounded, quintessentially 'English' aroma which is musty and slightly sweet. Quite moist in the tin, it packs and burns well, being a mixture whose smoking characteristics can, as an added bonus, be manipulated through various styles of preparation. This reviewer prefers it moderately rubbed out.

Described on the tin label as a medium English flake, Cooper offers a flavorful combination of sweet, mild Virginias coupled with musty Oriental and just enough smoky Latakia to bring it all into focus. Flavor notes run as one would expect from such a mixture, although the sweetness of the Virginias has a tendency to play a dominant, although not altogether unpleasant, role. For its part, the Oriental adds appreciable notes of spice and earthy, pungent sourness whereas the Cyprian Latakia contributes an persistent yet subtle undercurrent of pine, camphor, and wood smoke. While used sparingly overall, the Latakia component does tend to grow in intensity towards the end of the bowl but is never heavy or cloying. Medium to full bodied, Cooper has a flavorful, slightly tart and smoky finish which tends to leave a bit of sweetness on the tongue.

Overall, Cooper is a nice middle-of-the-road English mixture which should fare very well in the tin for some time to come. Produced by Cornell & Diehl for the good folks at Low Country Pipe and Cigar, it is a fine example of contemporary American pipe tobacco blending and is certainly worth a try by fans of the genre.

19volks71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
19volks71 (9)

Great stuff. I'm building a stock of this in the cellar and I recommended you do the same. It smokes wonderfully, dried properly of course. This puts much emphasis on the orientals which are given some body by the latakia. These two sit squarely on a foundation of wonderful Virginia's. This is what Presbyterian Mixture would taste like if it had any backbone. Low Country Cooper soundly knocked Presby out of rotation, off the shelf and slowly out of the cellar. Get it and get it now.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Low Country Pipe & Cigar is owned/operated (I think), by the same folks who run smokingpipes.com. I was gifted some Cooper which arrived with a recent purchase from their webstore.

The descriptive for this blend at the top of the page is right on. Cooper is a flake made up of Latakia, sweet orientals, Virginia and a dash of Perique. It rubs out easily and packs and burns exceptionally well.

Cooper, simply stated, is outstanding. Smoked slowly, one tastes top-shelf leaf of ever component attached to this blend. Although there is no topping added, there is a subtle, natural sweetness that comes through with every puff. The orientals and Virginias dominate (which prevents me from agreeing that this is a true English), but whisps of Latakia and Perique do come through just enough to compliment the overall presentation.

This is one of the best put together new tobacco blends that I've tried in a long, long time.

Don Jefe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Jefe (7)

This is a fantastic blend. The mix of sweet Virginia, orientals and a restrained dose of Latakia is perfectly blended to keep everything in balance. Unlike some other blends, this one never goes flat and smokes well from start to finish. I prefer to simply fold these flakes, rather than rub them out. Some drying is prudent, but no more than 30 minutes is required.

This is a solid medium power blend with mountains of creamy smoke. The retro- hale yields a solid cocoa flavor reminiscent of a good cigar. I will certainly order more of this.

Pipe Used: Brigham Dublin

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Flavor by the ton. "Choice Orientals" is putting it mildly. They're delicious and mouth watering. This blend is at the top of my list.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?

I am so glad for this website - without it, I would never have found this wonderful blend! I was looking for a Lat / VA blend and my preferred format is flake. Poking through the search results I saw Cooper with high marks but relatively few reviews. I already buy from Smokingpipes.com once in a while so I put a couple of tins of Cooper on my next order.

Wow, am I glad I did! Solid Latakia presence partnered with sweet/sour of mature VAs and all in balance with just the right touch of orientals to tie things together. The orientals provide interest but do not detract from the main course. The whole package together has a certain malty, nutty roundness / softness to it reminiscent of Penzance. Rubbed out gently and aired for a bit Cooper packs and burns great. Gobs and gobs of delicious, creamy smoke, and no bite whatsoever. A keeper for sure!

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

WOW! Fantastic leaf

Just had another bowl of this stuff today (why did I wait so long to have this again.....makes me want to add a pnd of it to the cellar...man as I said before if you like med-English blend....FANTASTIC leaf!

Update 4/22/11 After about 1-month of an open tin, and just the plastic-cap replaced on it...WOW-WOW-WOW this stuff smokes so flavor...got nice Southern BBQ flavors out of mine which I enjoyed very much, suggest you pop a tin and let it sit for a month or two with platic-cap on...man the experience is even better then a freshly opened tin with only a few hours of dry time...putting this strat into effect with this blend...grin'in,knowing how much I have in the cellar today...STOCK UP on this one for sure Brothers of Briar!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

To echo what Pipestud said in an earlier review, this is the best put-together blend of this type I've tried in a very long time. This is a medium English that almost -- but not quite -- veers into Balkan territory. The first thing that leaps out at me is the Cyprian latakia, but it doesn't take long at all for the orientals to start adding a couple of layers of intrigue. But where this tobacco really takes off is at the halfway mark. At that point, the virginias begin to sing in a dramatic way, adding both sweetness and a creamy body to an already engaging smoke. There seems to be a little perique in here, as well, adding just a hint of tanginess and kind of holding the disparate components together. This isn't complex in the way that similar GL Pease offerings are, but the flavors evolve in such a way as to keep me interested.

The presentation and burning characteristics are superb. Mine arrived as a very dark broken flake that smelled primarily of latakia and orientals. I can milk 90 minutes out of a medium-sized bowl of this slow-burning mixture and my tongue never even feels it.

Excellent, excellent stuff.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)

Wonderful tin aroma. Slightly damp from the tin and benefits from ten minutes of air time. This tobacco burns very well once lit. The flavor at the start of the bowl is like a tangy BBQ brisket. The tangy-ness mellows out quickly and the subtle sweetness of Virginias takes center stage. The Latakia is enough to give a nice smokey wood flavor without overpowering the natural flavors of the Virginias and the sweet Oriental. A very well balanced blend. And a great "English" blend for those of us not keen on huge amounts of Latakia. This blend is very satisfying but doesn't overwhelm my palate.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)

Not being someone that is really a regular with Latakia laden blends, i do find that i am very hard to please when i do smoke an English/Balkan.

I found a very generous sample with an order from smokingpipes.com and put it into my 'cellar' until the urge for a Latakia blend arrives. ( around twice a month ) Well that craving didnt pitch for around 3 months and when it did, the blend was ready to smoke as i had dried it before putting it away.

I have to say that i find this blend excellent and everything i could possibly want in this type of concoction, in fact, i would buy this and let my Balkan Sobranie Origional Mixture age a bit in its pouch.

It is a great tasting blend and the Latakia is blended to perfection. I could really taste the Virginias as well as the Orientals which made this really enjoyable. The Perique was very slight and blended perfectly, what a delight for a change.

This blend, is very much like Sturks Balkan and in a blind test, would not be able to tell them apart by smoking.

I will award this 4 stars because it is well deserved. It has been blended by a master, to combine all these different tobaccos and have none dominate is a feat in its own right.

Mo, South Africa

AKSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AKSmoke (18)

The two ounces I've finished are enough to sell me on this one. I was given a small sample of Cooper with an order, and I have several two ounce tins in the cellar now, and a dedicated small Dublin. Exceptionally smooth, sweet Virginia, and just enough Latakia. Georgous little flakes rub out nicely and burn cool and completely. It seems a bit moist at first, but it needs no drying. This is not a driving or yard-work smoke. Pay attention and take it slow, or you'll miss out on the delicate flavors here. An easy 4 star. I wish it came in 8oz tins, but I'll take it any way I can get it. Good job.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)

Well to start, I have to applaud Sykes and the gang at Low Country for their effort in creating a very nice English blend on their initial startup of their own tobak line. Since the introduction at the CORPS show in Richmond, I am amazed how smooth a smoke it really is being still very young in the tin. Beautiful slices and nice aroma, lights well with no surprises as the flavors are very subtle and work well together though near the end, can be harsh. Aging will cure this. Find myself reaching for this quite often so I have stocked my cellar for the future. Great job guys on Cooper! A winner here!! Enjoy the journey!

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

For my first review I tried a brand new blend of one of my favorite tobacco shops. I immidiatey recognized the tobaco blend as my favorite English. The blending is nothing less than pefection. Knowing the extensive effort put in to this smoke by a collection of blenders who created my 4 all time favorites (which I try to always keep on hand), I was not surprized that I now have 5 English blends to keep around at all times. This is a wonderful classic blend that deserves to be in your Latakia trial pipe.

Nice English blend, a full 2oz. and ready to smoke after some rubbing. Three stars now but I think this will age great and be a 4 star in 2 years.

Just noticed reviewer "Pipestud 12/09/2007" who claims there is Perique in this blend. I can't disagree with that, as there is a spice, and for me it would be better without and/or with a touch more Latakia.

EarlofYork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EarlofYork (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I was given a can of Cooper over a year ago. I opened the tin and smoked a few pipefuls. I left the tin in the back seat of my car since April of 2012. It sat there thru a very hot southern summer and winter and now summer once more. The tobacco mellowed like nothing I've ever seen. This is one of the most exquisite english flakes I've tried. The Virginia element was creamy and sour sweet,while the orientals and latakia were pure love. My eyes closed and was transported to a land of pure enchantment.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)

Soft flakes that arrive in perfect moisture level. Lights easy and burns well. The aroma and taste are medium english. It has a cigar overtone with sweet Virginia on the side. My work mates enjoyed the aroma and did mention that it had a mysterious cigar aroma like good leather and roasted nuts. They told me the smoke smelled great. This blend is smoky and delicious, a real hit out of the park!

Update July 2013; This tobacco is mellowing wonderfully with the Virginias getting sweeter and rounder and the smokey latakia weaving through making this so mouthwatering, that after a bowl full I crave another.

jhigh58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhigh58 (13)

Just began smoking pipes. Picked this to sample English with orientals and Latakia. The first bowl was a shock. I would have rated taste as full. I have smoked 3 bowls since and now I notice a taste of fir tree or brite green. I like the new leather smell in the tin. It is medium sometimes a little more taste.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (63)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

This is very nice tobacco, and possibly worthy of one more star. I found the virginia a little snappy.

In the tin, dark, wet flakes that need a bit of air. It smells really strongly of Cyprian. Tin note is similar to some really dark blends like Old Ironsides and Commonwealth. A much denser, darker presentation than most "medium english".

Jam a flake in and light it up. There is an initial bite or tanginess from the virginias, but it settles quite quicky, balanced by the latakia. Reminds me of commonwealth in the bowl, but with the orientals at play, it's a bit more interesting. There is a similar 2 flavor interplay though. Drifts toward Pelican, but stays dirtier the whole time. Yum!

Smokey, woodsy, and calming. Very well behaved tobacco. I should think that a bit of age will really improve this one, yielding an even sweeter and more friendly smoke.

I find this much more like the latakia-bombs of yore than I do a regular "medium english". I don't find it delicate, I don't detect traces of nuts, or flowers, or any particular essence. Good, solid, heavy Balkan.

Cyclebum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cyclebum (6)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

This is the very best English blend I've smoked 'till now. I think I like this even more than Westminster. Overreacting? Don't think so ...

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

This is one excellent surprise... such good blend!