The Waccamaw River meanders through the eastern Carolinas, part of the Pee Dee River basin, a region intertwined with the history of tobacco for three centuries. What finer homage to this heritage than a rich, hearty Virginia flake? Bright leaf serving as the base is typical of the tobaccos grown in this region, while beautiful Red Virginias lend it sweetness and structure. Perique and a dash of exotic Izmir leaf complete this complex, satisfying flake.

BrandLow Country Pipe & Cigar

3.4
Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This review is going to focus on a relatively new tobacco. It is Low Country Tobacco?s Waccamaw blend. Now for those of you who don?t know, Low Country Tobacco is the actual store for smokingpipes.com. It is in Little River, SC which is about 40 miles from where I live. Yes, I?m that lucky. These blends are the result of a collaboration between Sykes Wilford (owner of smokingpipes.com) and Craig Tarlor (owner of Cornell & Diehl Tobaccos). As of right now there are 4 blends in this series.

Now for those who are VaPer purists I will warn you that this blend has some Izmir leaf in it, which is another spice tobacco that lends itself to this blend.

Now for the review.

When I popped the tin of this blend I was greeted by a wonderful smell. Sweet and sour with a lot of spiciness in there. I will warn everyone that I will compare this to GL Pease?s Embarcadero blend quite a bit for reasons that I will explain in the summary below. This blend smelled a lot like Embarcadero when I whiffed it the first couple of times. This blend comes in flake form and the flakes are about the same size as Orlik?s Golden Sliced. The blend arrived quite moist in the tin and all of my flakes were stuck together. I just dumped the whole thing out on a few paper towels and rubbed them all out so that they would dry out a little more thoroughly.

I filled the pipe with this blend using the 3 pack method all of the times that I smoked it so far. This worked out quite well. After drying the tobacco a bit this blend took to the first light and never stopped. After the blend got going my nose was greeted with the most intoxicating aroma of sweet Virginia, spicy Perique, and a sourness that I can only guess comes from the Izmir. It was delightful!

The first third of the bowl was pretty spicy and kept things interesting. There is A Lot of Perique in here. All of the components were playing off of each other and going in and out of the taste. The second third of the bowl all of the flavors and aromas seemed to blend together and really come to the forefront. It tickled and burned a bit from the spiciness when blown through the nose. Truly amazing!

The last part of this blend was more of the same. It settled down a bit towards the very end of the bowlful with the sourness taking the drivers seat near the end.

This blend is truly a great blend right out of the tin. I can?t wait to see what a little age does to this tobacco. As I stated above, there is a ton of Perique in here and it lends to quite a bit of Nicotine as well. Now as most of you know, C & D makes all of the blends for GL Pease. I cannot help but think that this blend is Embarcadero with some Perique added into the mix. The tastes and smells are almost identical. However, the Waccamaw is about $1.50 cheaper for a tin than the Embarcadero. I?d be interested to hear from everyone on this one about whether they think there are definitely similarities or if I?m just imagining all of this.

If you like Perique bombs, then this blend is definitely one to try out.

ROTHNH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROTHNH (11)

I recently bought a Bruce Weaver billiard from SmokingPipes.Com and decided to throw in a few tins of tobacco in the order. I've been meaning to try the Low Country Waccamaw -- a true flake tobacco with virginia, Perique and Oriental leaves -- since I love vigrinia flakes, Perique and orientals, it seemed like a no-brainer. I was not disappointed. First of all, the 2 ounce pull top can is well done. The dark brown streaked with brown and speckled with gold whole flakes, stacked vertically, are wrapped and covered with paper -- something every blender using these cans should offer. The "tin note" is best described as citrusy-herbal with a hint of spice. The flakes are a perfect moisture for my tastes and did not need drying after cube-cutting, so I loaded up my Wally Frank rhosesian and went to town! The charring light and true light was fine. The spicy-fruit flavors from the Perique and the "soft kick" from the oriental (Izmir?) is upfront, causing me to mutter "Wow!" Lots of billowy delicious smoke. The air-cured virginia comes in to round things out -- smooth, creamy, but not as sweet as I expected, which is fine -- after all, it's the oriental and Perique which are the stars in this blend. This is not to cast aspersions on the virginia here, because it's absolutely top notch. Ahh -- about a third of the way in, those virginias step up and sweeten -- you know, that natural sweetness of quality Carolina leaf -- that creamy-tart sweetness that coats the mouth. There's a considerable amount of Saint James Perique and Turkish in this blend, and they remain center stage throughout, which is nice -- it's a concert, not a solo performance. This blend is made to be sipped slowly to experience its full potential. I am certain this will age extremely well and even though it's packed in a zip-top can, the packaging should protect it over time. While Waccamaw, IMO, is not for beginners, experienced puffers who are looking for an unusual "Va/Per" that also like, or want to try, a flake with oriental tobacco other than latakia should definitely give this one a shot.

Pipe Used: Wally Frank Comoy Make Shipmate rhodesian

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)

This is a blend that displays a decidedly exotic Turkish character along with being more dusky and earthy than many Oriental/Virginia blends in my experience. The taste reminds me of GLP Embarcadero, but this is a rather "loose" comparison. (I could bring myself to almost describe Waccamaw as Embarcadero “on steroids”.) I am comfortable making this comparison because both blends share the same blending house, Cornell & Diehl, so the tobaccos that they have in common are going to be nearly identical.

Waccamaw uses bright leaf as the base tobacco along with red Virginia, Perique, and Izmir. The amount of Izmir employed is described as a “dash”, but to my tastes it’s more than that. Once again in comparison to Embacadero, Waccamaw is darker, richer, and more full-bodied. Where I would describe Embarcadero as an all-day, anytime of day smoke, Waccamaw should be reserved for later in the day.

It is also tempting to compare Waccamaw with GLP Cairo (once again, the same blending house), but even though the component tobaccos are quite similar, the proportions of the tobaccos are very different. Waccamaw is darker and even more exotic than Cairo, but not as complex. And Butera Blended Flake, another Oriental/Virginia/Perique blend, has a "fresher" and a bit "greener" taste.

While I do enjoy this blend--actually quite a bit--I’m not sure that it will find its way into my regular rotation, but perhaps. I simply prefer Embarcadero, Cairo, and Butera Blended Flake for their somewhat more mellow qualities. This is a 3-star+ blend, but for me it doesn’t quite merit 4-stars.

NOTE: This is presented in a BROKEN FLAKE, NOT a FLAKE.

Pipe Used: Ural Bacchus Meerschaum & KE Blowfish (Grade A)

Similar Blends: Embarcadero, but Waccamaw is more full-bodied and earthy and displays more Oriental character.

The red Virginia has a light natural sweet and tang that mostly dominates the bright Virginia, though the latter provides a little evenness to the Virginia taste. The red Va. seems to have some age because I get a slight earthiness from it. The perique is moderate, and is a little plum and raisin-like as much as it is peppery. The Izmir is obvious in every puff and adds a fair amount of body, and some smokey and woody qualities that sublimate the perique just a little. It's a broken flake that burns slowly, cooly, and very evenly, requiring fewer relights than many other blends of this cut do. While I haven't smoked it aged, I'm told that it gets even better with time, so I recommend those who like it to cellar it for a while.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

The Izmar leaf was readily detected at the match and I liked it a lot. But, since Izmar is one of the heavier Orientals it can overwhelm at times and it did with Waccamaw. The descriptive says Waccamaw contains "a dash of Izmar." Well, it was a big dash.

The flake crumbled up easily when rubbed and burned very easily and evenly throughout the smoke. It may be awhile before I try a second bowl but for those who enjoy regular wallops of Oriental leaf, this one is sure to please.

Sweet, sour, spicy, with lesser notes of fruit. I would rate the sweet and sour notes as medium, the spice as full, and the fruitiness as mild. There were times during the second half of the bowl that I thought I was smoking either Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture or C&D's Bayou Morning. This blend is slightly more complex due to the addition of the Oriental component. If you like either of those blends you should try this one. A truly enjoyable and satisfying blend.

Pipe Used: MM General, Neerup Bent Dublin

Similar Blends: Noted above..

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really, really like McClelland's St. James Woods. Waccamaw is very much akin to St. James, but darker and murkier, creamier and mysterious. This blend comes at almost the right moisture level so I let it sit a while and breath. I took the soft flake, rolled it around in my fingers and slipped it right down the bowl. After a few lightings things got spooky! This tobacco is wonderful! Been smoking a pipe about 30 years and I might have found the one here! Update: This blend has a good nico zip to it and the wife said it smelled "alright". I wish this came in bulk.

Nicely prepared flakes of yellow to dark brown that were too moist right from the tin but quickly dried and without rubout, lit easily and didn't require relights. No bite or condesation and a cool smoke. I missed the expected Va sweetness and the Perique + Izmir were dominant thruout the smoke. For this reason, I wouldn't chose to smoke this regularly or as an all day blend. However, it's a interesting change of pace and if you enjoy those tobaccos, you should give it a try.

TClemons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TClemons (3)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

Waccamaw is a rich, full-flavored, complex and exquisitely balanced blend! I grade it a solid "A" now. Can't wait for aging to effect even more magic.

I detect a savory Virginia base along with higher notes of sweet Virginia. The perique presents itself, mostly in the middle and later half of the bowl, as a delicate stewed fruit/figgy taste and aroma. Gratefully, the perique is NOT overdone. Along with these wonderful sensations, oriental leaf provides a mild but spicy/ piquant depth, or barotone voice to the harmony. Like the Perique, the oriental is used as a spice - noticeable, but not overpowering.

Easy to pack, easy to light and keep lit, smokes smoothly with no bite. Highly recommended for fans of VAPERS and oriental spice.

11/23/07

potam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
potam (14)

Rich turkish/perique flavors made me happy so I think this is great.If you felt it was too much rich,you should rub well then the flavor will calm down but still yummy.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

While I LOVE Cooper, this one didn't really win me over, a good smoke...won't keep it in my normal rotation but a nice smoke all the same..

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)

A very special blend as it differs from most VaPers I've smoked, so much that if I wouldn't have read the composition I've never guessed the perique inside. Virginia and Izmir are dominating, but I like it, I really do.

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)

I love Red Virginia, and I certainly don't mind Perique or Orientals, but I'd prefer my Virginias to be front and center. In this case, the Perique is nearly overwhelming, and the balance of the blend is thrown way off. It also burns very hot, turning quite bitter.

I realize I'm in the minority, so I'll need to give this another chance in a different pipe. For now though, I'm a bit on the fence about this one.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)

Nice Vaper with a Izmir kick to it. Flakes are nice and juicy and rub out well. The tin armoa is very musty. Kind of like wet grass and hay. Need to be dried out a bit to avoid the bite.

Its lights up well after a bit of drying and produces nice white smoke. It's quite tasty.

Michael K. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael K. (1)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A remarkable tobacco. Arrives a bit moist in the tin and can use a little drying out in order to achieve maximum flavor and burning quality. The most impressive characteristic about this tobacco is that when it is smoked slowly, the round, sweet virginias come to the fore, but when you smoke it aggressively, rather than biting, the izmir and perique take center stage. Consequently, this is almost like two different blends in one: a well-rounded virginia with a touch of perique or a virginia dominant oriental with a perique backbone, dependent upon smoking style. Luckily, "both" of these blends are fantastic.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I am a big fan of Latakia blends but I have a soft spot in my heart for VaPer blends. I have tried two now that have this Izmir in them and I will have to say that it is a welcome addition. The tin aroma is earthy and slightly musty. I liked the smell and tobacco better after it had a chance to dry out. The tobacco burned very well top to bottom of my meerschaum and never required a relight. I liked the robust flavor that comes from this combination of tobaccos. I think the amount of Perique is right not to tart, but it does balance out the sweetness of the Virginia tobaccos well. Overall this is probably the best VaPer I have tried to date.

Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I have mixed feelings towards Waccamaw. I love it when I start smoking, but middle to end of the bowl I don't like it anymore.

The problem to me is simple: lack of balance. Virginias here are definitely outstanding, but the Perique content is rather overwhelming. You start enjoying a sweet wonderful Virginia leaf and end up with a sour and piquant Perique taste.

Don't get me wrong, I love high Perique content on VaPers (my favorite is Escudo) but to me, this is overdo. Sad, because a good balance would make this one of the best VaPers in the market (the tobaccos are excellent).

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

Fine mixture based on Virginia - not surprise from where it comes. Only, in my opinion, it needs a little more aging. However, it is great tobacco for morning since it is enough mild.

maboman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maboman (11)

After smoking my 3rd bowl this has taken the spot as my favorite va/per. The quality of the virginia tobacco really shines through and is complemented perfectly by a moderate dose of perique.

A great tobacco and I'm glad I gave it a try.

Maboman

LeGunnCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LeGunnCat (18)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

In the tin there's lots of pleasant back cherry aroma. The flake is lovely and easy to rub out. Slightly moist, I let this sit for a few moments. Despite this it still burned a bit wet. Next time I will let it sit longer.

I packed this using the Frank method and was pleased to taste the subtle flavorings this method affords the smoker. It burned evenly and fairly cool. I have to mention this is a great way to smoke certain tobacs. Big puffs of cool smoke with hardly a touch of bite even from virginas.

This blend is so well balanced I couldn't distinguish between individual tobacs. Just a good heady blend that I believe would be well worth investing in for the cellar.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (18)

Sykes,Follodor & co. at Low Country (smokingpipes.com) have certainly come up with a winner. They were kind enough to send a sample of Waccamaw with my most recent order. This offering is rich with VA. The Perique and Orientals play their roles as the supporting cast. I have not ventured into the straight VAs much. However, I would think, if you are a straight VA smoker this would be a marvelous way to introduce yourself to VA/Perique blends. Forgive me, if this imagery does not work for you, but the aroma reminded me of a rainy day in Winston-Salem, NC. i REALLY enjoyed the times I have been there and look forward to my next rainy day there. The reason I am giving this three stars instead of four is that I am not fond of Izmir leaf.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)

What can I say? Another great introduction in the Low Country line for the Va/Per fan. Upon opening the tin one finds high quality tobak is used as it is not only well cut, it has a nice aroma too. I often smoke this in the morning but, have found it enjoyable anytime of the day. The Va`s are in command of this ship, though the Perique and Orientals are a great supporting crew. This also DGT`s well. Smoked slowly this provides a very smooth flight and one you will find yourself taking quite often. As with Cooper, I have stock my hangar with plenty. Good luck and fly safe!!

csimser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
csimser (7)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A strong blend of Virginias, Orientals, and Perique artfully combined. My first bowl on opening the tin was overpowering . However, after the tin had been opened a short while, I found the blend less overpowering with each bowlful.

I finished my first tin more and more impressed as I went along. I left my second tin open for a half an hour or so after opening, and started in again. As this tobacco is quite moist in the tin, I conclude it improves with a short period of "breathing" and simply letting a little of the moisture escape.

The Orientals are very noticeable over the Virginia base. the quality of the tobaccos used is very high. I conclude this blend, which all of the staff at smokingpipes.com had a hand in, is tinned by C&D. The closest tobacco I have had is GLP's Fillmore, and smokers of that blend and its ilk will enjoy Waccamaw as much as I do.

One final note - for those who regularly order from smokingpipes.com, I am told by the staff that the label depicts their building in Little River, South Carolina.

A fine effort.