An all black mixture of unsweetened black Cavendish and a bit of Green River Vanilla, flavored with a proprietary "cream" aromatic and an amount of apple flavoring so generous, that you might feel yourself transported to an apple pie bake-off.

The same tobaccos as Apricots & Cream, but flavored with apple brandy. The mildest apple flavor we've tried.

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley
FlavoringApple, Brandy
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste

2.4
DC MacBean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DC MacBean (29)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As a native of Michigan, a great apple producing state, I consider myself to be a connoisseur of apples. When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s there were numerous varieties of good, old-fashioned, flavorful varieties of apples being grown in my home state. by the late 20th-century to the present, most of these old varieties have been replaced in the marketplace by varieties that are grown more for their appearance, and shelf-life than for their flavor and I suspect that most apple-flavored aromatic pipe tobacco blends being produced today try to emulate these tasteless, modern hybrid varieties instead of the old, flavorful heirloom varieties.

My quest for an apple flavored aromatic pipe tobacco has led me to try several different blends and Cornell & Diehl's Apples & Cream is the first apple blend I've found that actually has both the taste and aroma of apples. It's not the crisp, tart apple flavor that I have been searching for like a Granny Smith apple, Spy or Winesap. It's faintly reminiscent of a Johnathon or a MacIntosh but not quite. Despite the advertising, I would not describe the apple essence as "generous" but rather slightly more than subtle. It is, nonetheless, a true apple flavor. Because of that, along with the properties of Cornell and Diehl's tobacco, I am giving this blend the highest rating.

It is an all day smoke; the nicotine is mild to non-existent. It is moist, even oily, but there is something about the casing or C&D's process that makes this a blend that lights easily, and one that stays lit without the need for a re-light except, perhaps, in a pipe with a very deep bowl, such as a Missouri Meerschaum General. It burns without leaving dottle or goop in the bowl, in fact, it leaves very little moisture or none at all depending more upon the relative humidity of the air than the tobacco itself. It's also a great all-year smoke.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Briarwood, Pear wood, Cherry wood

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl's Apricots & Cream, and Berries & Cream.

stonedlion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stonedlion (6)

I bought a 1 ounce sample (among several) from Out West Tobacco as part of my C&D dabblings. I'm just getting back into pipe smoking after a nearly 20 year hiatus, so I am getting re-acquainted with some old favorites and expanding my horizons.

Slow smoking in a 50+ year old Tom Howard bulldog I rescued from an antique shop, there was no discernible tongue bite and a very mild flavor. The room note is very agreeable and passes the sniff test with flying colors.

Average number of relights, but after the first couple of tamps remained lit easily.

Mid-bowl the flavor comes on a little stronger and a hint of spice begins to assert itself.

I nice cool smoke. Not an all day smoke for me, but a couple of ounces will find their way into my aromatic collection.

shikano53 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shikano53 (2)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is a very disappointing tobacco. No taste of apples no taste of anything. Very dull and bland. Don't waste your money. Avoid at all costs and save your money.

Pipe Used: Brigham Chinook

Age When Smoked: Out of the package

samwell711r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samwell711r (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

A little disappointed in this blend. Its ok, a decent smoke if you have nothing better. Its an aromatic, and I favor aromatics. I like apple tobaccos, and I wanted this one to be good. But its not really. I could not detect any apple in the pouch, and when I smoked it, there was initially a nice flavor but it wasn't apple and it faded quick. Rest of the smoke was just average to me. It wasn't overly moist in the pouch and as is sometimes my custom (at my place of employment) I will load a pipe an hour or two before leaving so as to enjoy in the car on the way home. But two hours is enough to dry this tobacco to brittleness. I'll finish the pouch because its ok, but I won't be ordering it anymore. 2 stars tops

Pipe Used: EJ Heberling, Kevin Arthur

Age When Smoked: Unknown

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I've been looking for a good apple-flavored aromatic for years to smoke on rare occasions and had hoped to find it here. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. It's not exactly bad, but it doesn't taste or smell much at all like apple to me -- more like a generic version of Autumn Evening. Now, I'm happy smoking Autumn Evening on a regular basis but would much rather pay the dollar or two extra for a tin of it rather than smoke this. On the plus side, this blend doesn't bite and might be appreciated by diehard aromatic smokers.