"Smoked very cool with a mildly citrus and sweet taste. Best of all, there was very little aftertaste."

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco

3.1
russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (25)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

First and foremost I have tried many Boswell blends and although I am mainly a Virginia and English smoker--well I like an aromatic once in a while. Most aromatics for me I find goopy and clowing and usually do not smoke them for that reason. One needs to limit the heat with aromatics and you find the flavors will come through if you do not over heat and over work the pipe trying to find the flavor. With that in mind I loaded up a small Boswell pipe that would be concidered a group #2 size and sipped VERY slow at the pipe. This tobacco if given a chance will give subtle tones of citrus or tea like notes that do not over power the palate. It is a very mild aromatic and that suits me to a "tea". Also I find just as the description--little if any after taste. Also this blend will not bite back. Yes it seems heavily cased but I found it to NOT goop up the pipe--it burned clean and again--for those who are having a hard time with these mild aromatics---SLOW down the puffing--DO NOT over work and over heat the tobacco. When one takes their time with these you will find they tend to be better than you would think. I have smoked a pipe for a long time and through experience will say--if you over puff and over work a pipe with aromatics in them--all of you flavor is going out the top in steam and all your left with is no flavor. I actually get the tobacco notes first, and then the subtle citrus tea like undertones as I go with this blend. As with ANY aromatic--it needs babied along with subtl puffing and paying attention to not get the tobacco over worked. I especially recommend this blend to those who dont really care for really heavy aromatics. If you are looking for an aromatic that smacks you in the face with heavy flavors--this sin't it. If you are looking for an aromatic that is subtle and gentle--give it a try.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)

The first time I tried this tobacco was under very strange circumstances. Many years back, I was working on a small farm in a rural midwestern town in the United States. The man whom had employed me was named Zuckerman. Zuckerman was a lousy boss, i would say that the only thing that kept me working there was the fact that he had some connections to some other local farmer daughter tail. That's about it.

One day I had gone out to feed the stupid runt of a pig named Wilbur his slop. And that's when I saw it... Written in a spider web, in the doorway above the stables were the words "Smoke Boswell's Sweet Tea" I was shocked. Never had I seen anything like this. So I immediately jumped the fence to get a closer look, stepping on Wilbur's face and killing him in the process. Heh, some pig. Sure enough, to my surprise, there was in the corner, clear, coherent writing... "Smoke Boswell's Sweet Tea".

I ran to catch Zuckerman, but the man was so fat, he could barely get up from his recliner, let alone make the march out to the barn. So i grabbed his stupid wife. She came out and viewed the spectacle and was equally amazed as I was. After a few minutes, we parted ways. I went to the general store to buy Boswell's Sweet Tea, as per the spider's instructions. But Mrs. Zuckerman had a more sinister plan.

When I returned hours later, Mrs. Fat Zuckerman had begun to market the spider and sell tickets to see it. This pissed me off as I was smoking the Okay blend of tobacco. This madness of her making money off of the spider's various messages involving Boswell's Sweet Tea continued for about a week. The farm was going down hill. Zuckerman himself still hadnt even seen it, cause he was so obese. The farm was going to ruins, quickly becoming commercial. I had to end it. The story goes that the legendary spider died of old age, but I know better. I killed her. It had to be done. To end the soiling of a good old fashioned miracle.

I left later that night, gathering up all my things and stealing a bunch of money from the Zuckermans and breaking their niece Fern's favorite doll on my way out.

THE END.

Dug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dug (18)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

[Rating down to 3 stars, reajusted based on my experience over the past couple years. This is a fine aromatic blend, though a bit two-dimensional, and has long since fallen out of my rotation.]

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I'm surprised that mine is the first review of Sweet Tea, as I know that this blend has a significant following among the pipe smokers I stay in touch with online.

This is the only aromatic I keep in my permanent rotation, and is perhaps the most consistent, "easy" tobacco I have ever smoked. I far prefer English and Balkan blends, and this is to those what 7-Up is to good cabernet. But when I want something sweet, mild, and with a kind room note, this is what I reach for.

In the jar, Sweet Tea is a dark, fine shag, with a very pleasant, sweet aroma. I can't place the casing with any specificity: It alternately conjures up either Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies or Louie Bloo Raspberry Otter Pops. It smokes sweetly also -- with none of the sour or bitter edge I get from most other aromatics -- and with a remarkable smoothness. The base tobacco is quality stuff, but not overly assertive. This is an almost flawlessly cool, goopless smoke. Once lit, it smokes down to a dry ash, requiring fewer re-lights than most blends. It is one of the few blends that smokes like it smells, pretty much through the entire bowl.

If you don't like aromatics -- or find yourself perennially disappointed with them -- this may be worth a try. If you do like them, this is a must try.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

In all my years of Pipesmoking, I have never found a Tobacconist who can blend tobacco like The Boswell's! This is my first time smoking any of their blends, and I am amazed! Having been lucky enough to purchase one of J.M.'s newest Hand Made Pipes, I ordered this and several other blends to try. This is like NOTHING I have ever smoked! Smooth and flavorful, it does taste just like Sweet Tea! And you can also taste the baccy as you smoke it, absolutely fantastic! If you are wanting to try something different, that burns cool, has wonderful flavor, and is low in Nicotine, give Sweet Tea a try! HIGHLY Recommended!! Happy Puffing!!

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

Any person with some experience in this wonderful little travel down briar lane that we call pipe smoking knows that this is a hobby of subtly. As a beginner we all bought those tobaccos with names like super cherry jubilation par excellence, or chocolaty explosion mania. We also, as beginners, expected these tobaccos to taste as the label stated. It takes only a short time to realize that the cherry tobacco does not taste like taking a large bite out of a piece of cherry pie (although paladin is remarkably like smoking a jolly rancher, and not so much in a good way). These tobaccos are not meant to taste like a tootsie roll, but rather have subtle hints of chocolate or other flavorings. Most of us experienced pipers realize tobacco tastes like tobacco first, then maybe a hint of something else.

What at first is a disappointment, soon becomes a challenge. Its like being a part of a secret club, or being able to decipher a special code. It is really quite an eye opener to finally "get" what these tobaccos truly are.

That is the case with this tobacco. It is nice, but do not buy it expecting to taste like a nice sip of your southern grandmothers home brewed specialty. This tobacco tastes like tobacco, but if you sip slow enough, and you pay careful attention to it, you will uncover that slight hint of sweet tea, and when you find it, how sweet it is.

Aromatics tend to be the tap dancers with two left feet of the pipe tobacco world. They are tolerated by some, but never though to be the prettiest girl at the ball. That being said, some aromatics are clumsier than others

The folks at Boswell always put out an outstanding product of the highest quality, and I would not hesitate to recommend any of their fine offerings. This one has that nice sweet tea taste, half the fun is finding it, and it takes the skill of a true pipeman to unlock the pleasure in this blend.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Medium Full Very Pleasant

One of my all time favorite blends from anywhere. Cool, sweet, absolutely no bite (even for this vigorous puffer), with a berry or citrus undertone, very mild. For this reviewer ?pure ambrosia?. First time I tried this it was a ?wow? experience and many pounds later that reaction has not faded. The taste I can only describe as being almost clean and crisp a most unusual and remarkable blend. For this smoker a rating of four stars to the second power would be conservative.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (49)

I liked this mild aromatic after a strong perique smoke. Mild, sweet, vanilla, almost banana like. Light caramel flavour. Burns cool, no bite. Like others say, sipping it slow allows for more of the flavours to come out. Very enjoyable.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum mini cob

Purchased From: JM Boswell's

pennjersey83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pennjersey83 (11)

This is a unique aromatic tobacco. It actually does taste very much like sweet tea. I'm not a huge fan of sweet tea as a beverage or as a flavor but I think many people would find this blend satisfying. I may eventually order more after I have tried some other blends from Boswell.

ski2liv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ski2liv (16)

I was skeptical of the Sweet Tea... just didn't see how it was going to come through, but it does. The beginning of the bowl is heavenly.. as refreshing as a tobacco can be. Has a deep sweet flavor and the tea notes are certainly there. However, I don't really see the "Sweet Tea." If Y'all are after the southern syruppy tea flavor, it's not there. However, as a tea drinker, i do see the tea flavor and the sweetness. Maybe calling it "Tea, with Sugar" would be more approprite. Whatever it's called, it's a great blend... As it burns the flavor mellows out a bit and the sweetness falls off. This leaves a cool, mild smoke. But if you're looking for it, the sweetness and especially tea flavoring can still be found. Even after it goes out I find myself drawing it over the tip of my tongue to enjoy the flavor. This is a unique blend that I can see going back to over and over again when I want something aromatic that offers some different flavors than your standard black cavendish blends offer.

UPDATE: This really has become my absolute #1 go to smoke. It's unlike anything else out there. It starts so sweet and tasty with a really great room note and then eventually falls out to a slightly sweet smoke with some of the natural flavors of the tobaccos coming through. For me it's the perfect balance of aromatic and natural flavors. The most impressive thing is that it's light and clean, no harsh aftertaste. If you've not tried this, you are missing a true delight.

FTF13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FTF13 (9)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I found this blend to be a very pleasant experience. It has a mellow earthy, sugar tea taste, with a slight citrus-lemon thrown in that is very smooth. Will be adding Sweet Tea to my weekly rotation.

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

A fine aromatic blend. Put this in your pipe.Light it up and off go! You are in autopilot mode now. No bite whatsoever and with a velvet mild citrus taste it will easily become your favorite aromatic.

BaconandTobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BaconandTobacco (15)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is a great aromatic for smoking outdoors on a warm night. This blend burns dry and consistent, and has nice hints of citrus.

Pipetech26 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipetech26 (5)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

ehhhhh.... I think people just read what other write on here and make up stuff similiar. Didn't really taste like much to me. Only time I could taste it was when I was actually drinking iced tea and then who knows if it just wasnt the aftertaste of the tea? I'll pass.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

A most pleasant aromatic! The tin description is spot on, very cool with a mildly citrus and sweet taste. Clean and refreshing with little aftertaste. This is my first excursion into Boswell's, I ordered six two ounce samples and Sweet Tea is my first review, but I can say right now that most if not all of my six samples will end up with four star reviews. If you love quality aromatics Boswell's is a must.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)

"Sweet Tea."

I guess I just wasn't convinced that I'd like a tobacco that tasted like tea, sweet or otherwise. (Not a tea guy--I drink coffee.) Plus, one drinks tea to refresh oneself whereas I have never found smoking to be "refreshing" by any means. But I got a 2 oz. sample of this blend when I purchased a Boswell pipe and, lo and behold, it wasn't all bad. Not sure that I'd order more of it, but 2 ounces was certainly enough to give the blend a fair try.

I would have thought that more Virginia tobaccos would have been used to flavor a blend that would taste like tea. Somehow I think of tea or grassy flavors when I smoke a Virginia blend, but that's not what this is.

Nevertheless, Sweet Tea is still a good smoke and you might enjoy a pipeful with a nice little cuppa' the real stuff on the side, mate. Pip, pip, and cheerio, old boy!

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

A very pleasant aromatic. Depending on the pipe and the weather that day it actually tastes like, well, SWEET TEA. It is a slightly fruity/citrusy mix with a fair amt of black cavendish. My previous review was less than kind until I realized something. This Tobacco needs some SIGNIFICANT DRYING TIME. This is 1 of the few aromatics that actually burns cooler and tastes better BONE DRY! Definitely toward the berry loving crowd as far as topping and sweetness go.As far as taste, it is more like Long Island Ice Tea than sweet tea. A very nice addition to the world of aromatics.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Now I'm finding out why the mojo of tobaccoreviews.com scribes grant most Boswell tobac 3 and 4 star ratings. And with 23 reviews to date I figured - being the sweet aro lover that I am -I've just got to try "Sweet Tea." When reviewers lay on a blend in such numbers there's really gotta be something there: good, bad, or the ugly. Glad I did because this is an exceptional smoking experience and I think I am going to like this mixture for a long time to come. What an adventure...

Just opening the pouch and savoring the scent of lemon and citrus spices is exhilerating to the nostrils...and from charring light on this was an uplifting encounter. Besides the bona fide gentle sweetness and nut like aroma of the tobac the topping flavour is exceptional. Also detected some chocolate and Mocha traces. Doublessly more aromas will emerge exponentially. Pleasantly complex encounter. Happy hunting ...

lonefrog615 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lonefrog615 (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am an avid aromatic smoker. and as such I was very excited to try this tobacco. 4 stars no doubt about it. a sniff of the bag begs this tobacco to be packed, the taste is sweet and mildly earthy (as anything tea-like should be), and the aroma is excellent and often complimented. No aftertaste as previously mentioned and wonderful burning properties.

My number 2 tobacco falling just short of a local house blend.

YoungSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungSmoke (24)

I'm not big on the fruity blends, especially cherry. But this blend is surprizingly tasty and a nice smoke for a change of pace. In the pouch it smells a bit like Berry Cobbler, but as you light I get a bit of cherry. This fades quickly and takes on a mild sweet, citrus flavor. It not like any other blend I've tried. I really like it and like the other Boswell blends is a high quality tasty tobacco with no bite and smokes well for a heavy aromatic. And yes, it goes hand in hand with a glass of ice tea and makes for a great light, summer time smoke.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A nice smoke on a summer day with an ice tea. Tastes like Arizona Sweet tea, with a little citrus added. Great room note, even my sister in law, who is a smoke Nazi liked the smell of this one at an outdoor party this summer! Like it in warm weather because it is light and burns cool. Another tasty Boswell blend!

Bazsup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bazsup (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is currently my favorite. I am an admited and proud aromatic lover. This is a very sweet tobacco. The remarkable thing is that for as sweet as it is, I could not get it to burn the tongue. It stayed sweet through out for me and had no down side that I could find.

Mid way through the bowl I taste greater depth in the tobacco. I'm no connoisseur like many reviewers but there are other rather interesting and enjoyable flavors that come through as you work your way through the bowl. I'm still on my first pouch full so this may change but 8 or ten bowls in I'm really enjoying this.

pghmod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pghmod (5)

Yet another great Boswell blend. It was very similar to Spice & Nice in flavor, but the aroma was definitely different. I smoked smoke raspberry cream in my boswell billiard before this, and the two flavors mingled nicely.

rexinator26 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rexinator26 (19)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

An all around light smoking tobacco.Smells like tea ,taste like tea.No strong flavoring or smells, just a nice light smoking tea like tobacco.Good when a change of pace is needed.Tea lovers would enjoy this blend.

Arkansas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkansas (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I have been trying to figure what all the fuss is about this tobacco. A lot like having a plain girlfriend with no personality. I have it jared, and in storage for a few years, let's see if anything happens in that time.

reckoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reckoner (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Nothing new to say here. I find this blend to be as refreshing as a glass of iced sweet tea. Leaves a sweet aftertaste on your lips after you smoke it, which was a pleasant surprise. My wife didn't even mind kissing me after I smoked!

Nice and smooth, burns clean and dry, and leaves the room smelling fantastic after you're done. Bravo!

Ismokeadapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ismokeadapipe (21)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend smells great in the pouch and even greater smoked. It was a wonderful surprise to actually taste the citrus in the smoke. I admire the subtle flavors and tastes in this blend. I myself tried it with some sweet tea to drink...cold or hot it adds to the ambiance of this blend...top notch.

Addendum: After several smokes of this blend I have come to appreciate it even more. The flavor is multidimensional and the room note is utterly fantastic. Great blend...top 5 aromatic for me...top 5.

Ixtlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ixtlan (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice cool smoking blend. Virginians are prevalent, and tastes like Tea to myself. There is a very slight aftertaste but not like some heavy aromatics. Nice but a once and awhile for myself.

Thoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thoth (11)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I've been on a pipe smoking forum where they rave about this blend. I don't get it. Other than a hint of a citrus flavor, I find this rather bland. Smells sweet. Packs and lights easily. Tastes of nothing.

Nice if you want a very mild smoke or something to give a first timer.

Only thing it has going for it, is it is the only aromatic I found that DGT works for.

Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Well Dang if it don't taste like "sweet tea" One has to stretch it a little but it does kind of have that taste though very weak tea. This is a very mild, in every aspect, fine ribbon cut of light and dark tobaccos. It lit up very well, burned doen to the bottom but did give me a little gunk in the bottom of my bowl. I very much felt like I was smoking Borkum Riff with it's light sweet taste and great aroma. I enjoyed smoking this after lunch as the sweet light smoke was refreshing. While this is way too weak for me to be my everyday blend, I will enjoy using up this sampler without feeling the need to mix in burley to give it body. No vanilla here or if it does it fooled me, and the vanilla smell is not on my fingers or clinging to my beard. This would be a great starter tobacco for a beginner.

rstrawsb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rstrawsb (6)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The pouch aroma is fantastic. This is a great aromatic. I think it's one that stands out from the crowd. A real wife pleaser.

frankluke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
frankluke (17)
Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

i like this blend, it's not goopy although it is heavily cased, has a wonderful room note, burned on the cool side with no bite and is pretty tasty for an aromatic. sweet tea tastes like sweetend iced tea, duh, i know, but how many aromatics taste like anything? this blend can get a little too sweet so i recommend only smoking it for 20 minutes at a time.

LGPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LGPipe (1)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I received 1 ounce of this tobacco as a free sample included with my recent purchase of a Boswell pipe (beautiful, great-smoking pipe by the way!). The pouch aroma is mild but very pleasant. In fact, at first I couldn't detect any particular flavoring or aroma. But after a few slow, deep sniffs from the pouch, it suddenly struck me: it smelled exactly like a Lipton green tea bag! Again, it was a mild aroma, but now that I had placed it mentally, I enjoyed the smell much more and began to get excited about how it might taste. I filled my pipe and took a couple light "dry puffs" before lighting up. I immediately tasted the flavors of the tea and the sweetness was very evident. The tobacco lit very easily and mostly burned to a nice gray ash along with a small amount of charred dottle toward the very bottom of the bowl. The flavor was outstanding. Although the distinct taste of tea was somewhat lost during the smoke, the sugary sweetness was very evident. The actual tobacco flavor was extremely mild and masked by the sweetness, but it was a delightful smoke. Without a doubt this was the sweetest tobacco I have ever smoked (and I like aromatics). It left a light, sweet flavor in my mouth, but no unpleasant aftertaste. The room note was exceptional, and, according to my wife and son, was second only to the wonderful vanilla aroma of another Boswell gem, Paradise. Sweet Tea will definitely become one of the tobaccos on my regular rotation.

rollins215 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rollins215 (1)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Smokes nice and cool with a very mild strength. However, it has almost not flavor at all nor little room note. This could be a good or a bad thing, depending on what you're looking for. Not my "cup of tea", but I could see how some will enjoy it due to it's good smoking characteristics.

Big Kev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Kev (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I found this pipe maker and blender on an internet search for American pipe makers. Very Affordable pipes, so i ordered one along with several of his tobaccos. Sweat Tea was the first in my new pipe. This is the best smoking pipe i have and like every southern gentleman, i can't get enough sweet tea.

This tobacco i would call a refreshing smoke. Like the desription details, "mildly citrus and sweet taste." I also liked DakotaPeacePipe's description as "almost clean and crisp." I will recommend this aeromatic to all the pipes in Arkansas.

GO Hogs!!

edit. I GOT ENOUGH!! To much of an artificial taste here.

Pipes530 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipes530 (8)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

WOW!!!!!!! I have never smoked an aromatic such as this. Light yet full flavored. Burns great with no re-light required and the wife gives it "thumbs up". 4 stars here.