Deep Red Virginia kissed with a touch of honey to develop the natural sweetness of the leaf then sliced into flakes.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
2.7
Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This tobacco came a bit wetter than I would have preferred. I dried it out on some newspaper for about an hour, then it was just about right. I am a fan of flake Virginia tobaccos from time to time. I am mostly an English smoker so the idea of a cased flake did not bring about great excitement. This blend burned very well and only required two or three matches and was off and running. What I first noticed was how sweet the blend was. Undoubtedly from the honey. I would rather have had the flake blend without the honey. It seems a waste to have such high quality tobacco then ruin its natural flavors with a casing. I am sure some will love it, but just not me.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (36)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Like Manhattan Afternoon, it's just to mild for my tastes; in taste and strength.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

While this is not the disaster that Safe Harbor Flake was, it was still a disappointment. Upon opening the tin, it smelled reminiscent of McClelland's products as it had a slight ketshup smell. The honey mentioned on the tin was undetectable.

It smokes ok and was remarkably easy on the tongue for a Virginia. However, as one reviewer said, it is monochromatic. I found it to lack depth and was all around boring. The tin art is better than the tobacco.

I get the impression that C&D doesn't do so well with manufacturing flake tobaccos.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin date 6/07 and it's been opened since. Somehow this tin has been able to retain a perfect moisture level over the last 4 1/2 years, which leads me to believe there is some kind of PG added to this leaf.

Some complain about the flakes being "broken", but to me, no matter. Just makes my job easier to rub and load. Lights faily well, smoke evenly to the bottom leaving a nice gray ash. I cannot detect any honey, and to be honest there is really no sweetness at all. Pretty much a straight forward Va. The taste can turn cigarrette ashy if smoked too fast, but slower puffing will prevent that from happening. Taste is flat, and uninteresting. Would be a decent no-bite flake for the novice smoker looking to get into some C&D VA flakes.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (61)

Good red virginia for me, not too mild, perfect after dinner with some rum. I will buy it again.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This is my first C&D blend, and im a big fan of Virginia flakes. This one is ok, good red Virginia taste and i love the honey casing on this blend its noticeable but not overpowering at all. It can bite so puff gentley. But its not the best Virginia flake out there its ok just ok woth a try if you want

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The final C&D blend I was able to obtain locally (C&D are becoming unavailable within my home country due to a price raise by the manufacturer that would not allow the current importer to offer the blends at anything even near the current, already sky-high prices), I didn't get around to opening the tin for a while.

When I did, I got the familiar, typical intense scent from the tin, in this case with some fruit and a note of honey in it. The leaf is Craig's usual, widely-cut flake (which was not all that broken in my tin) which benefits from wide bowls, rubbing out, and a gentle hand when packing.

A bit on the wet side at first, after some drying the 'baccy lights up as well as can be expected from a flake, burning down coolly and gently, needing little maintenance, though I do experience the occasional need for a re-light. The taste is sweet and indeed honey-ish as advertised, with a creamy note and little spice. The room note is similar, if I may make the comparison, to MacBaren's Mixture, which means it's quite good.

Unfortunately, towards the very end, this blend turns bitter and a little tarry; not something I am used to from C&D blends. Still not a bad blend except for the last 6th of the bowl; just not worth the price being asked where I live in my opinion, as I can get comparable quality here for little more than half the money.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Tin Date: 12-09-08

This Red Virginia has a wonderful tobacco flavor. The touch of honey does bring out the sweetness of this Deep Red Virginia. I really like the flavor as I have all C&D Flakes that I have tried.

The tobacco was quite moist in the tin and a half hour of "open air" for the tobacco headed for my bowl helped. A few re-lights were required due to the moisture level. More drying is required before smoking. I have never smoked a Flake I didn't like. My favorite has been Orlick Golden Slices. Orlick has an excellent presentation of constituted Flakes within their tins. All the C&D Flakes I have smoked have four-star flavor. But,I am very disappointed in presentation. When I invest in a Flake tobacco, I expect to find constituted Flakes in the tin, not a mess of broken up Flakes! I have invested a considerable amount of money in C&D Flakes. The exception has been to find constituted Flakes within the tin. It's usually just a mess of over-moist broken-up Flakes.

I will not buy any more C&D Flake tobacco until such time as I am completely convinced I will find Flakes in the tin. There is obviously a problem here. I think the Flakes are just too thick and too wet to hold together. Also, putting rectangular Flakes into a round tin probably presents a problem. With Orlick, the rectangular slices are tightly packed into a rectangular tin. Now, that works!

Make no mistake about it, I love the four-star flavor of C&D Flake tobacco. However, there are many other excellent Flakes out there to smoke. So, I'll give the flavor four-stars and the presentation, one-star. You decide.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is the first of C&D new Flake Tobaccos I picked up at the Chicago Pipe Show. Interlude is a decent red VA tobacco with a nice sweetness that burns cool for a VA. To me the flavor was monocromatic and didn't develop any sublte flavors. After smoking Samuel Gawith's Full Va Flake, this seems like a very plain VA.

I was disapointed with C&D flakes again. My tobacco was like a broken flake, not one whole flake in the tin. You think for introducing their new line of flakes at the Chicago Show, the presentation would be much better. I don't mind more paying extra for flake tobacco, but at $50.00/lb, this tobacco is not worth that price. FVF bulk from Smoking Pipes @ $28.50/lb is a much better buy.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Upon popping the tin I detected as wonderful an odor as has ever been released to mankind. The smell promised a depth of flavor and strength. Strangely, I got neither once loaded and lit.

Interlude is a mildly sweet tasting broken Virginia Flake that needs about an hour of drying before smoking. Otherwise, the flakes are just a bit too wet (for me, anyway).

I tried to beef up the blend by adding a little Five Brothers but that combination was not complimentary.

I think those who enjoy mild and sweet Virginia tobacco with an ever so slight kick will appreciate Interlude.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

My very generous sample came at perfect humidity for immediate pouch to pipe enjoyment. Took to the match quite well and burned evenly and cleanly all the way to the heel of the pipe with a single pass of a cleaner.

Quality stuff, handled with care. Just not my cup of Virginia Flake. I guess I'm one of those guys that feel condiments belong in the food, not the pipe.

I do strongly recommend for those that like lightly flavored flakes of excellent, cool burning Virginia

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This a wonderful tobacco for those who wish to shift gears from the aromatic world to that of Virginia flakes.It has just the right amt of sweetness and absolutely no heat or tongue bite.It is actually quite pleasant in its own right. The smoke is creamy and plentiful. I find it doesn't develop much in flavor and henceforth why it makes a great transition tobacco. Very similar to Bjarne's Flake Deluxe just not quite as good. My only complaint- A VERY HIGH NICOTINE PUNCH!!I kept getting hic cups!!! Aside from that a really good smoke.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

This is another VA. blend from C&D.Most tins from C&D have been ready for the fire out of the shoot. This one was quite moist. Upon opening the tin I was met by a mild grassy sweet aroma. After some drying, I found this to be a good smoke. It is not complex, just smooth honest tobacco. Hint of the sweetness drift through as the bowl progresses. May be the Va. or the "touch" of honey. One thing that I was pleasently surprised by was that each time I came back to this blend it seemed to get better, and better. This may be that further drying has benifitted this tobacco, or maybe age is helping out. What ever...it gets better.The price is higher that much of the competition, but this blend could move up to a rating.....for now I give it a *. I will buy more to smoke now, and some for the cellar.

bigbowls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigbowls (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I liked this tobacco. I barely noticed the honey...instead enjoyed the taste of the red virginias. When the honey did make itself known, albeit very briefly, the taste was a bit like a Bit o Honey candybar if you remember that one.

This is definitely a keep, however the price tag is a little high. There are some other very good VAs out there that are much more affordable but I would definitely recommend this blend.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very nice Virginia flake. C&D, as far as I know is the only North American blender to take on the process of creating flakes- and they are coming along nicely. On opening the tin, the first thing noticable is that they have changed their inserts. No longer the paper wrapper with the intro placard- Now when you remove the C&D welcome card, there is a nice fold over cardboard sleeve the flakes fit in. It can be a challenge getting the flakes near the rounded edge out but this is a minor point. The flakes are a pretty deep red shade, and a spicey aroma drifts off. I let them dry for about 20 mins to get the moisture content I like. Packing is the fold and stuff, rubbing some kindling on top. On char light, Spice hits right off the bat. I would swear there was some perique in there. Flavor is a spicey, sweet. the sweetness increases as the bowl progresses, and every now and then the smell of cooked honey wafts through the nose. Burned down to a clean bowl, and the nicotine is VERY satisfying. I repeatedly found that two flakes at once lasted most of the evening..