A delicious blend of the finest Red and Bright Virginias pressed to perfection and sliced into flakes.

Notes: Part of the Simply Elegant Series

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste

Part of what determine's a blends greatness for me is how quickly I finish a tin. I finished this one in record time, and ordered several more.

This may become my new reference blend in the straight virginia genre. Yes, it may just unseat FVF, Blackwoods Flake and a few other well-known favorites. And this appears to be somewhat of an unknown! How does such a thing happen???

This is an excellent smoke - sweet but not too sweet, spicy but not too spicy, and complex as any straight VA out there. Nice broken flake of dark brown goodness with a tin aroma that made me salivate. As do most excellent VA's, this improved as the bowl progressed and was a medium-bodied but rich and mouth-filling smoke. It was also easy to smoke - no tongue bite or other aberrations such as an overabundance of moisture. It smoked very cleanly and down to a fine gray ash. Can't wait to crack my next tin! If you enjoy straight virginia blends that provide the sweetness of lemon VA along with the richness and coolness of red VA, this is definitely one you should try.

Natural sweet with some spice notes. The lemon Va. provides a little citrus while the red Va. is sweet and tangy, and a little earthy with hints of grass. The flake breaks apart easy, and burns exceptionally well in the bowl with a cool evenness, and no moisture at the finish. The taste is consistent throughout the smoke with a little nicotine, and a rich flavor that never lets up. One of the best starter Va. blends on the market, it will also appeal to experienced smokers. It's designed to please straight Virginia smokers whether they like a mild or a strong smoke. I'd say they accomplished their goal.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)

What a full virginia blend should be. Sweet, Spicy and full of flavor. The tin note has a bit of that virginia ketchup smell but thankfully that dosn't come through in the smoke. The tobacco comes in nice loose flakes that are easy to rub out into a ribbon cut. Easy packing, easy lighting, slow burning and smooth smooth smokin. Opening Night makes for a great luxurious evening smoke. Flavors coming through in the smoke are predominantly sweet Virginia with a background note of wonderful spice to keep things interesting. As for room note it makes the room smell like a classy old fashioned smoking lounge. Thats the only way I can put the room note. It just smells classy. Still a tossup between Opening Night an Dunhills Royal Yacht as to which is my favorite straight virginia blend. However when you factor in price Cornell & Diehl always has an edge. As for a daily virginia smoke I think Opening Night is a winner. Fantastic, Classic Virginia blend. It amazes me how C&D can have so many fantastic blends like this that go relatively unnoticed.

Pipe Used: Micheal Thomas Featherweight

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake, Dunhill - Royal Yacht.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Old Pipestud is singing with the choir on Opening Night. Truly an outstanding Virginia with an atypical sweet note that I found to be tantalizing!

This one, like most C&D blends, burns cool and dry right down to the last puff. It has been calmed by the blender and absolutely will not bite. Thumbs up all the way around - just one heck of a fine Virginia with enough strength to please the vets and cross the eyes of the newbies.

DaveS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveS (11)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A great virginia. Full flavor, spicy, no bite. I have tried about 50 virginias, but this one is by far the best. Opening Night and Penzance, my two desert island tobaccos.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)

I will have to agree with the rest of the reviews, this is a fantastic blend and i am smoking it as i write this. The taste is typical Red Virginia and it has a very good finish that is slightly bitter. ( the right kind )

It reminds me of many of my favourite blends rolled into one. LGF, HOTW, Old Gowrie, Briar Fox and Marlin come to mind, i know many reading this will think its a very weird thing to say but i find this blend strangly familiar in a different way as the bowl evolves.

I cannot see how any lover of Virginias cannot like this. The flake is very easy to pack and it does burn slowly for a reasonably long smoke in a biggish pipe.

I am really impressed with C&D offerings and have to say that they understand the pipe smoker and i thank them for that. Enjoy guys

Mo, South Africa

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

After sampling a few of C&D's new flakes at the Chicago show in 2007, I wrote down Opening Night as one I would order when I got home. I also ordered Red Carpet and Interlude. After aging for a year, I started with this one, remembering that I liked it best. It was hard to tell then, however, because they were all so green. You had to use some imagination and speculate how a little time would help them.

After opening it was clear that C&D had mastered the flake. It is much better than the dreadful Safe Harbor Flake from a couple of years ago. The moisture was fine, but I dried mine a little more due to personal preference. I have smoked Opening Night in a variety of briar pipes, but nothing over a Group 4; it performed well in all. Opening Night is a beautiful tobacco, mostly red or brown with streaks of lighter colored leaf. You can rub it out, stuff the whole flakes into bowl, or make small balls of tobacco and stuff them in; I liked it each way. The burn is excellent all the way down the bowl. Relights are easy and it performs well with DGT. Opening Night is not an overly sweet blend, but more on the grassy, hay-like end of the spectrum. It can burn the tongue a little if you're smoking too fast. The taste is fairly monochromatic (not a bad thing at all) and that flavor deepens as you progress through the bowl.

If you like straight Virginias that are grassy, bright and slightly sweet, I can't imagine you not liking Opening Night, a rock-solid Virginia that should age well. I like it best in the morning, but it's great any time of day.

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)

Oh my goodness, oh my gosh ,oh my soul this is good. Move over FVF this is the Craig Tarler Show and its Opening Night. Marvellous stuff, sweet, tangy/sassy, citris explosions now and again as the bowl progresses onward down. Lord give me strength to abstain from opening at least one tin for a couple of years because I can only guess what will be waiting inside......pure delight without question. Buy some and have your better-half hide it away from you for a couple a years.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (36)

First few lights tickle the nose a wee bit and comes on a little strong, but, then settles into a beautiful, smooth and semi-sweet flavor with thick, heavenly clouds of smoke... I love it. this should age very well.

rosczich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rosczich (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

this is the red virginia i go to, whenever i want a satisfying smoke with reminiscents to the good old time. its the best virginia i ever taste and i long for this weed a lot of times. no good smell, but the best taste ever! easy to handle, easy lightning, easy smoking. no tongue bite.... will age to nirvana if you can stand and let it rest...

I can't get enough of this. One of my favorite Virginias, won't leave my rotation for a very long time. Perfect combination of red and bright Virginias which reminds me of IRC Flake, but while this one is leaned towards bright leaf, C&D ON favors the darker. One of the Virginia blends with more depth, with notes of orange peel, mango, and oak, almost like a fine red wine. Sweet and tangy at the same time. A true masterpiece.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (31)

Opening Night is offered at my local Tobacconist and based on the steady good reviews thought I would give this straight VA a go. It is my first Cornell & Diehl.

Great VA sweet smell from the tin with the right moisture, though I let it dry an hour before the light.

Wow! I was surprised by the complexity of this simple blend. There is a steady spicy note caused by the red VA balancing perfectly with the sweetness of the bright Va. When I mean sweet I mean the end of my pipe tasted super sweet like sugar water. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. That's a first. I didn't expect the spice and it reminded me of Perique. I actually sat my pipe down and ran to look up the ingredients again.. Okay.. what am I smoking again?? I was shocked when this was a straight VA blend.

The smoke was thick and the ash was soft like velvet and burned down clean. All evidence of a fine high-quality-no-joke tobacco.

The rich flavor stays to the end and I love the warm spice and rotating sweetness. I must say be mindful of the nic kick. While puffing away trying to disceren this blend I was caught with a Tyson hook to the jaw. I awoke about an hour later in my bed with a cool fan blowing in my face. It made me quite nauseous. Now that's a VA blend by God!! Smooth, spicy, sweet, Med flavor.

Recommended for a good quality VA only smoke. Looking for a straight VA blend with some med flavor and some complexity? Give this a shot, but watch the left hook.

Update: 4/7/14 This tin has turned into my go to blend and its disappearing faster than any pipe tobacco I have ever bought. The blend has mellowed since opening and it went from spicy to a warm tasty red. I can handle the nic pretty well and even crave it. A very tasty blend. I will be buying more and in larger quantities.

Pipe Used: Bertram

Age When Smoked: 3-28-13

Purchased From: JR Cigars

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The only thing I could say bad about this blend is that it's not a flat flake. It's broken up a bit. However I could care less about that.

The flavor is all there. I was really looking forward to a full Virginia from C & D, as I usually think of them as a Burley based company. It was very naturally good. No excess flavors trying to be squeezed in.

The room note was also very natural. Its how a good pipe should smell, and the wife liked it.

It was a long lasting smoke that changed throughout. I tasted some sweet Virginia right off the bat, with a smokeyness, but sometimes it developed into more of a savory smokey.

I would definitely recommend this to anybody, english, aromatic, it's for everybody.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Peterson System (Bent), Cob

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake.

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (28)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Here is tang, sweetness, rich depth and the prickle of nicotine in one fine bowl after another. In the tin: tantalizing! Is that a note of chocolate (from casing?)? If so, it is not directly noticable as such in the smoke. Velvety and cool from first light to the last puff, this is one surprisingly rich Virginia (with a bit of burley?) flake! Too much nicotine for the novice or for the mornings for this smoker, but a superb offering from C&D!

This one pushes all of my buttons! Highly recommended!

This tin was from 2008. It has developed beautifully!

Pipe Used: Several. All reserved for Virginias w/out topping.

Revolted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Revolted (11)
Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first flake and it was a nice experience. When I first bought it it was a little moist, so I had to dry it for a while. I tried to smoke it on various pipes, but in my shorter pipes it would burn my tongue. Now I'm smoking it on a Peterson Churchwarden, and the smoke is much cooler, so now I can take full joy from the tobacco. It has a nice dried fruit, with an hint of sweetness, taste, and it feels to me a little spicy. It's a very nice tobacco and I would recommend it to anyone but the most inexperienced pipe smoker.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (20)

Good stuff. There is a nice aroma of orange peel in the tin and the tobacco is dry enough to smoke pretty much right off the bat. The smoke is medium-sweet and some pleasant sour notes are present throughout the bowl. Being a bit on the delicate side (even for a straight VA), disregard for gentle puffing can produce a harsh smoke fairly readily.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)

Opening night is there pinnacle Virginia according to me and one I smoke often. Highly recommended!

SiChange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiChange (12)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Did not find a progression or deepening of sweetness and flavor as I smoked it down to ash. Tried it in various pipes and rubbed out to different degrees, concluding it was a respectable but not outstanding Virginia smoke.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)

Very nice Virginia. No big fireworks for me but clearly a step above many other Virginia blends. Pure and clean grassy tobacco flavor.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A straight virgina which pales in comparison to the beloved FVF. Maybe it need some age as the tin was only a couple months old. Did I mention that it is strong for some reason?

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Sweet smokey bread flavors, tangy, a little grassy and very spicy. If yer into strait Virginia's tuck some away for aging.

A pure Virginia, sweet hay without being sickening . Not as heavy as McC "Red Cake 5100",this one doesn't have the raisin flavor ( which I also like at times). A little spicy upon initial light . Don't think you can just fire this one up and pay it no mind, it will bite if you don't slow sip it. I found that it burns a little better if you rub it out and let it air for an hour or try the microwave for 5 seconds . It is a good smoke for when you want that light smoke between Latakia blasts. I personally like McC's Virginia's better and find this blend stuck in "no mans land" as it is not real sweet nor real mature. This is very one dimensional and I won't buy again ,not because it is bad , just because there are other Virginia's that I like better.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (53)

A sublime straight Virginia smoke, if this is your kind of tobacco, look no further

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Great blend of Virginia leaf, tinned as broken flake. Smooth, flavorful smoke, with no bite. For me, a close second, to my favorite, MacBarens Navy Flake.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

The tin aroma of this stuff is lovely, like a hayloft on a hot day in July. Add to that the smell of fall fruit and the delicious smell of hard apple cider, sniff a little more and find dried apricots, prunes and raisins, dried grain and curing hay, and after a day or so of the seal being broken, a delicious aroma like white wine develops. A beautiful Virginia blend with an extraordinary aroma in the tin.

Practically rubs itself out. Lights OK, burns well, only a few relights.

Nice balance, warm flavors of well cured Virginia fill the mouth. The bright Virginia provides sweetness with a little tangy note. (It also makes this blend bite a little if you rush it.) The red Virginia seems rich, sweet, and warm. I wish I could try the red Virginia in this stuff by itself, bet it would be interesting.

A bit middle-of-the-road, but still a tasty little VA blend, another fine example of the style, complex on the nose - more straightforward in the smoking.

I like this series from C&D, so far my favorite is “Sunday Picnic”. This one is very good too, if you enjoy a descent straight Virginia - this is the a good example.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)

I would describe this as the tobacco-lover's pipe tobacco. It just tasted to me like generic tobacco, not in a bad sense, but in the sense that I could imagine a (pretty good) cigar or a cigarette tasting more or less like this as well. Good mechanics, nothing offensive. A nice starter blend, or one to go to when you don't know what you want, just tobacco.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

C/D Opening Night… Basically an all Virginia broken, rather long and heavy flake, the pieces are a bit large for bowl packing, so I found some further breaking up is in order. The (larger 2 oz) tin aroma is of only luxurious tobaccos.

My tin had a perfect moisture level straight out, so into my pipe it went. After the easiest flake light up, I have yet to encounter. I was off and running. It took but a few pulls to notice its soft richness and friendly nature, I felt I had a winner for sure, and for me it is.

So far I tried this stuff, in several different briars, and found the same great smoke in each. I can't at this time find anything to complain about, and for now I find this blend a truly outstanding smoke, loaded with great flavors, and gentle enough (But expensive) to be an all day smoke. If you love Virginias, don't pass this one up… 4 stars

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)

this one is becoming a favorite. Got a few tins stashed too. everyone owes it to themselves to give this one a whirl. whoa, good.. 10/10 *'s.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

This is simply an excellent tobacco for Virginia enthusiasts. It is rich, tasty, forgiving, does not require strict attention to technique but of course benefits from it, and leaves one wanting more. This is in my top five straight Virginias, no contest.

Ugo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ugo (9)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great full VA like Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake is. Opening the tin, plum and dried fruits smell comes our as sweet virigina. Broken flakes, not entire flakes. Mild taste, mild smoking, touch of nicotine that is VA's weak point for me. I prefer when Perique or Latakia join the game, but for a clean session of pure VA this blend is great.

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really good VA, not to strong, just perfect, with lot of aroma

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)

Outstanding!

This is easily the most delicious straight virginia flake that I've yet tried. It's as buttery as FVF, but the remarkably clean, fresh, sweet red virginia is the star of this blend, making this the most nuanced pure virginia I've come across.

This masterpiece sings for me. I will always keep a tin of this around. Opening Night is my first C&D blend. I will be trying others.

Highly recommended!

dvcpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dvcpipe (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Update 1/23/2011......Having smoked Opening Night regulary for the last 10 months, I must report this has become my "go to" smoke. Opening Night has proved to be the perfect smoke for me. The consistency of complex Virginia sweetness throughout the bowl is unlike any other tobacco I smoke. I always smoke in a larger bowl (I am always wanting more) and you can puff a little harder to truly enjoy the taste without getting bit. The nicotine level is a little higher and suits me perfectly as I always get more "comfortable" when I smoke it. Without fail, my commentary is the same EVERYTIME while enjoying Opening Night,"damn this good!"...... Nice discovery having read other reviews. I found Opening Night to be a quality blend that imparted nice sweetness, some spice, and a very cool smoking Virginia. I rubbed some and let it dry for about 45 minutes. Very enjoyable through the bottom of the bowl with very little relight. I didn't notice any nicotine until the end. Will age some anticipating even more enjoyment.

Every now and then when smoking a good Va blend, you can taste the sugar in the blend in that you get a chrystalized caramel taste of burned sugar. I like this taste and I got it right off the bat with this blend. It is simply delicious! It is a medium brown colored flake of very thin ribbon cut Va tobaccos. The baggie I got was the perfect moisture level and tastes fine right off, though it is a little easier to roll and stuff into the pipe when it is dried for a few hours. It rolls fantastically easy and as I was smoking it in a fairly large pipe, it took two large flakes easily. It lights quite easy, a two match light, and remains burning in a nice smoldering all the way down to the bottom of the pipe. It burns into a light grey ash and almost no dottle at the finish. It is a very sweet smoke, obviously has a lot of natural sugar content, and though it does have the haylike taste of a VA, it is like fresh sweet hay. The smoke is rich and creamy, non biting of any kind and while not a real strong blend like FVF, it has every bit the taste and enjoyment. This is another that as soon as I finished the bowl, I wanted and did smoke another. IT'S THAT GOOD! Kudos to C and D for this one, but then I never expect less than great from Mr. Tarlar. Highly recommended!

Half-bent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Half-bent (8)

It's been described here plenty, and most everyone is spot on, IMHO. Each smoke gives a new, subtle nuance, and is just as pleasing as the last. Virginia lovers should not pass this one up. I have several tins aging, and can't wait to see how it fares after a couple years. Brilliant!

matty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matty (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of the finest flakes I have come across, the sidestream reminds me of a good incense. Good mouthwatering, musty, pungent, bitter red virginia tobacco. Abracadabra this flake should be called every night!

Wylie Coyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wylie Coyote (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My favorite Virginia right now. This is the third English I have tried, and I would recommend it, highly. I do prefer Latakia, but this is a good change from it. I found the tin to be a little moist for my preference, but I tend to load the pipe, char light it and then let it sit for a few hours before lighting for real.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

The fine folks at Cornell & Diehl have another winner. O.N. comes in a nice flake. I like the "all tobacco" aroma from the tin. As with most C&D blends I fully rub out the flaks after drying. This gives me an easy pack, light, and burn. The taste is pure, simple unaltered, Virginia..... slightly sweet, and "grassy". Someday this may be "my desert island" blend, but for now I'm having to much enjoyment in my mad dash down the Virginia hiway. This blend gets a solid

Indian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indian (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is an EXCELLENT unadultrated tobacco pure and simple.

Char light - The room note is very pleasant. It has a light tobacco smell with a grassy sweet taste.

There is not much complexity here but there is a depth in taste. The first two thirds of the bowl remained unchanged but boy was it a grassy earthy flavor with a hint of natural sweetness. Complexity is not always needed especially if you have a great tobacco. I have never smoked a straight VA this good before.

The bottom of the bowl the flavor deepens somewhat although it is the same flavor it is sort of thicker and even more pleasant. You just wish it would never end.

So in the end there is not much complexity, but then again who would buy a straight VA and expect alot of complexity.:) Sometimes (alot of times) I crave a straight smoke that tastes light and earthy, THIS IS IT (for me). It is like smoking sunshine.

A SIDE NOTE: The people over at cornell and diehl are some of the best people in the business. There customer service is TOP NOTCH and world wide. No I don't work for them, I was so impressed with there service, tobacco, and prices that I will have a hard time shopping anywhere else. 4 stars

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

A bit damp upon popping the tin; drying out seems to help a bit.

I've got nothing bad to say about Opening Night, and while it is certainly a quality blend, it does not compare with Mc Cranie's, and Rattray's highly rated Virginia's, as well as Full Virginia Flake. Were these blends unavailable, I'd certainly give Opening Night a second look.

I've smoked this blend from a fresh tin as well as one aged 2.5 years. Surprisingly, the additional time did nothing to improve the tobacco.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

A good tobacco of fine quality but didn't rock my world so a good 3 stars

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (39)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I just received my parcel today that included Opening Night. I had enough time to start a smoke at lunch. Man, is this stuff fine right out of the gate? I've been looking for a new Virginian and I think I've found my summer smoke. I still want to give this a full road test. You know, crack the throttle wide open. I'll get back to y'all. UPDATE: from 3 to 4 This is a very fine, full-flavored Virginian smoke. Casing and topping appear nonexistent. What some may say is a harsh or biting tobacco is nothing more than the real deal. It provides a nice volume of smoke and really deepens in flavor as you advance through the bowl. If you prefer lighter tobaccos, this won't put a smile on your face, but if you favor full flavor than look out.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)

This is not the best virginia smoked, but it's very well done. Slightly sweet and pleasant, good burning qualities. Recommended ------------------------------------------------------------ Questo è un virginia facile facile, medio in tutto, dolce ma non troppo, brucia bene, umidità non eccessiva, piacevole, cremoso e non banale. Lo consiglio.

bryantm3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bryantm3 (29)

This is pretty good, but it's not great. You need not to smoke anything else beforehand, it will marr the taste. Smells promising, but smoking is a little bit of a different story. Condenses into a fine fine ash; came up through my pipe halfway down! The taste is pretty nice, some milder and stronger Virginias mixed. Overall I think it needs some aging, but I'd try it again (in a really bent pipe!).

Ghosthunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghosthunter (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A mans smoke. Excellant. I like the moisture level.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

"Life is a Flat Bitch. Then you get to Die."

I want to die from an overdose of Opening Night. What a great way to go. Great Virginias seasoned with....more Great Virginias!

There's a party in my Pie-Hole!! (Keep the noise down, I'm trying to get some sleep here.)

Could do with some aging, but in order for that to happen, I'll have to have them put up a 55 Gallon Drum of this great weed. When it's empty, you can bury me in it....along with the big shit eating grin on my face.

I love the way the virginias play tag all the way down the bowl, especially in my Autograph that has a bowl about the size of that 55 Gallon drum referenced above.

Very nicely done.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

C & D has another winner with these nicely prepared ~ 3" x3/4" flakes that are almost 1/8" thick and are mostly darker VAs with some golden. Although the initial moisure content was greater than my preference, no condensation developed; just the intial lighting was more difficult straight from the tin. However, as typical for me, I didn't do any rub out and just folded the very pliable flakes while packing. A cool, even smoke without any hint of bite resulted accompanied by quite a shot of nicotine. This naturally sweet tobacco should be enjoyed by those who enjoy VA flakes.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

Opening Night is presented very well in the tin. It is a little moist out of the tin so you may want to let it air dry for an hour or so. I smoked this as a folded flake and it burns reasonably well with this preparation.

This is a tasty, slightly sweet blend that exhibits no signs of tongue bite. I believe that the bright Virginia play a supporting role to the dominant reds.

I imagine that it would burn slightly better if fully rubbed which I am sure I will try at some point. For now, I am very satisfied with the performance of this blend considering its youth (my tin was less than four months old).

This is yet another winner from the Folks at C&D. I expect that it will age well and get even better.

ErnieQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErnieQ (6)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a beautiful supple red flake with flecks of gold. Upon opening the tin I was greeted by the slightly (naturally) sweet, ripe, fruity aroma characteristic of the best Red Virginias. The flakes rub out quite easily and I packed with a light hand as I do with any Virginia flake.

Two or three lights at the get go and you're off to the bottom of the bowl with an even cool burn. This blend passed the uber-puffer test with flying colors. Despite my best efforts, I could not get this flake to bite!

delivering subtly sweet flavors up front which give way to a nutty finish, this flake is unadulterated tobacco at it's best. The room note is, as expected, the usual woodsy Virginia aroma.

I'll note here that I am not usually partial to Virginia Flakes (I'm a Burley smoker born and raised), but I'll continue to make an exception with this one. A must for the lover of smooth unadulterated tobacco flavor!