The perfect blend of Red Va's and Perique with a touch of Izmir for interest pressed and sliced into flake form.

Notes: Part of the Simply Elegant Series

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

3.1
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

To me, this is the answer to the question "What do you get when you cross a Kajun Kake with a Riverboat Gambler?". This is a small flake of deep mottled brown with a tin aroma that only C&D can produce... an earthy, toasty blend of dirt and old books with an underlying smell of baked bread. Smoked from a 15 month old tin I've been working on for a few months.

This lacks the sweetness of KK and the bravura of RG but it is still a rather powerful batch of nicotine. The flavor never wavers, which is good and bad. It has only slightly more complexity than RG (not much) and tastes more tangy and earthy than sweet. In fact, I got almost no sweetness from this but the Izmir lent a kind of sourish essence that worked well to offset the grainy mouthfeel. The perique is there but is far to the rear. Red VA's are my favorite but I can't help thinking that a bit of bright VA wouldn't have hurt. This is a fine blend but that cross between KK and RG keeps spinning through my head. I smoke and prefer those two. This one, while good, seems like a compromise. Then again, a lot of folks might prefer a settled down version of those two, so this is recommended for those people. Frankly, this is better than I'm giving credit for it - I just prefer not to mix the strengths of KK and RG... I'd rather smoke them full bore.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)

Tin date 5/10/07

Nice presentation on the Simply Elegant series. Cool artwork. Unusual smell. Not offensive, not really attractive, just different. The flakes pulled apart like a pot roast with a fork. RC smokes beautifully for me, offering loads of tang and copious amounts of mature smoke that brings a smile to my face. The perique is nice and not overdone. There is enough there to feel the sharpness of it and some strength. Izmir adds seasoning. They all word together like the Three Stooges, playing off each other. Unique is the word that keeps popping into my head. Unique and good with coffee. I like this smoke in the morning.

Three stars based on aging beautifully, availability, character and price.

Tomas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tomas (2)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

New tin to me, but bought with other C&D tins that were from 2009. Tin aroma is very strong fig aroma - almost overpowering. After airing out and aging in a tin a bit, there is no significant change in aroma, which is for some reason a bit off- putting.

The flakes are dark burgundy, dense, and leathery. They don't rub out well, but rather crumble into smaller pieces and individual ribbons never seem to flake off. The flake cross- sections reveal what look like A LOT of large stems, and rubbing it out confirms that. One of the larger stems had what looked like white mold in the pith. I cannot pinch a bit of rubbed out flake without getting a big stiff stem in there, which I have to remove or I can't pack the bowl. The texture and cut, and mold don't bode well for me. Bad batch?

I have managed to smoke one or two bowls in a cob that were enjoyable, but most of them whether in a briar or cob have been disappointing, especially since I LOVE Sunday Picnic and C&D in general.

The smoke starts off very earthy and mouth drying with a bit of bite. A little later I do get some red VA toasty-breadiness with a hint of sweetness but it doesn't last. I often get pleasant tingling with VA blends, but this bite is not as pleasant. The taste remains earthy-dry and spicy but the balance is out of whack. I try to adjust my draw, pack, tamping, etc to compensate and get some more sweetness or something else than this one- dimensional flat taste, but I only get a very infrequent reward for my efforts in the form of a blast of VA sweetness, then its gone.

It seems like this blend has quite a lot of Perique, which would account for the constant earthiness and major nicotine. I cannot smoke this without feeling a little queasy unless I have had a big meal. I love Perique, but it has to be in balance, and it's just not in this blend.

At the end of the bowl, when Perique rightfully takes center stage, it becomes overwhelmingly spicy and mouth-drying, and any already subtle nuances of flavor are gone. I usually can't finish this one.

Ironically, the aftertaste is wonderful and I enjoy the lingering VA sweetness and fig undertone taste in my mouth for hours.

I wanted to love this one, but I can't. The texture of the flakes and the sheer amount of large stems (perhaps accounting for the out of whack taste?) was troubling. I'm curious whether anyone else has noted this. My Sunday Picnic flakes are fluffy, springy and lively smelling, with no stems at all, while these are leathery, crumbly, and sort of stale smelling.

Is this a bad tin or do I just not get why this blend is great?

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (83)

Coincidentally I am smoking my first tins of both Sunday Picnic and Red Carpet at the same time. Hence I get to closely contrast these two sibling members of C&D's Simply Elegant series and make some other comparisons as well.

My tin of Red Carpet confused me at first. I expected a flake but found what appeared at first to be a ribbon cut. Closer inspection did reveal a lightly pressed product that had been sliced and had fallen back into ribbon. Only slightly moist, these easily packed and readily took fire. The burn cleanly persisted as long as I kept the top clear of ash. I have smoked this in just about every style pipe I own from little MM cobs to large billiards, squat pots, wide mouthed Custombilts and it performed similarly in all.

At first one is struck with a surprisingly sweet smoke, with the spicy components quickly coming on thereafter. The Kadota fig aroma of the tin renders into a slightly fruity taste (not quite to the degree that McClellands Blakeneys Best Arcadian Ribbon does, but close). The Izmir seems to be a condiment in this blend (it seems more pronounced in Sunday Picnic). The spicy tones of the perique may be boosted by the Izmir as well.

This is delicious stuff. It reminded me also of C&D's excellent bulk English 973-Cordial with the Latakia and black cavendish removed. Both effected lip-licking for me just to taste all the juices (wife commented that I looked like one our dogs savoring a tidbit). I have smoked bowl after bowl of Red Carpet over the last three/four weeks trying to place its sweet taste and finally have decided it evokes a fine port wine. Strength is medium but to the heavy side of medium. Excellent VaPer variant and slightly my favorite over Sunday Picnic (a golden Va blend rater than red VA), but only by a very slight edge. I can handle and enjoy several bowls of Red Carpet a day, leisurely puffed, while I can't say that of Sunday Picnic without qualification.

(Unrelated Note: as most here, or at least myself, read only new reviews, I will be revising my old review of C&D Plantation Evening, embarrassingly so.)

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)

Tangy strange change-up from the ordinary if you like red virginias check it out

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

As fine a blend as I've ever smoked from the C&D line. The Izmir leaf really shines up the Virginias and the Perique adds another level of spice to really please the palate. Due to the strength in this one I believe it will surprise most Va/Per lovers and may cause a few to swoon.

Simply sublime!

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Strong Strong Full Strong

I was very excited about this blend but was a little disappointed. I was hoping for something a little more along the lines of Sunday Picnic but found that this blend (as other reviews have said) leans far more toward the red virginia, with a spattering of perique and Izmir. No doubt with some drying it was a good quality tobacco, but just a little rough around the edges for a perique blend in my opinion. Might try adding some blending perique to this blend to see if it smooths out.

Morgoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morgoth (22)

A fair VaPer. The VA tobacco was more tangy than sweet, and the Perique flavour was not sufficiently apparent in the smoke. The Izmir, other than the very first bowl, was never detected at all. This 2oz can, over two years in my cellar alone, was dry when opened and required very little (if any) additional time on the side board. Rather unflavorful when compared to many other Virginias and VaPers...and begs the question if the Oriental condiment waned too much over time. Somewhat recommended, but would not order again.

A companion infusion: Jasmine Tea.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)

This is vey pleasant all day puffer with a lovely port wine casing. Demetri is right about that. The virginia is dominant with the perique and turkish in the background. Needs a little rubbing and drying for maximum enjoyment. My tin had 17 months on it, so the ingredients had time to meld. Burns beautifully. I prefer Riverboat Gambler to this. Maybe it's the burley. But this is still lovely.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (36)

After smoking this baccy with great potential of only getting better with age, I've had a dozen tins in the cellar for a couple of years now... I don't think I'll be disappointed in a few more.

Ugo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ugo (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I see it as a sweet virginia blend. Not tongue biting, but still a bit tickling into the mouth. Perique and Izmir look contribute to taste, but the blend does not get spicy, just sweet and quite pleasant.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Cornell & Diehl, as well as Gl Pease blends, share the same problem: the tobaccos they put in a tin is not quite ready for immediate consumption.

Red Carpet was too moist. It took a while to let it dry out. The tin aroma was absolutely bizarre and uninviting.

The dark flakes proved to be rather strong but the Izmir brought a very interesting side to the smoking experience.

I think that once aged for a couple years, this should reveal itself as a good tobacco.

ProdigalWeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProdigalWeb (18)

Now this is good stuff IMHO. Kind of a cross between Embarcadero and Fillmore. I'm going to buy a couple of pounds of this tobacco for aging because I think that with a year or more in the can, this tobacco will be even sweeter and approach Medium to Full in the strength department. As I start smoking a bowl of this tobacco, I am struck with the sweetness of the Virginias. In the nose warmers I smoke these days, I also get an aroma from the bowl that is very close to the tin aroma. As the bowl progresses, I notice more of the Perique and Izmir. This is just a very tasty tobacco for me.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

I'm halfway through my first tin of Red Carpet. It's from the first tinning; I bought it at the Chicago Show in '07. With a solid year and a half of age, I believe I'm getting a sense of this blend. The flakes are primarily dark brown with some bright leaf and a red hue. The flakes are first-class. C&D has come a long way in their flake production. The flakes came just a tad on the moist side, but dried very quickly.

The burn is outstanding, with flavors leaning toward the sweeter side, but with something extra I'm attributing to the Izmir. The perique must be in short supply. I get a tingly feeling on my tongue and the back of my throat that I haven't experienced before. Is it the Izmir? I am a Va/perique fan, and I thought I'd tasted every possible variation, but this one's different folks. Definitely worth a try.

Update: 6/4/10 After finishing this tin of Red Carpet I have to upgrade my recommendation. I have enjoyed this blend more with every bowl I've smoked. It's absolutely delicious and has outstanding smoking qualities. Too bad I only have one more tin in my cellar; I should have bought more back in '07. I'll stock up as soon as I can afford to.

zakellen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zakellen (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't go into specific detail with my reviews due to my lack of knowledge/experience with pipe tobacco. But I can say if I like or dislike a blend (or something between).

The only time I looked forward to smoking this blend was with the first 3-4 bowls. After that, my interest waned quickly. I liked the spice of the Perique but it wasn't always there. I had a hard time with this one's bite. I tried it straight out of the tin to bone dry but didn't really buy into what any moisture level had to offer. Maybe it's just a little too complex for me.

I had a good amount left by the time I was ready to pitch it but held onto it for experiment purpose.

The two stars that I gave this blend(moved up from 1) came from its blending properties. I mixed 2 part of this tobacco with 5 parts of Ben Hartwell's Signature blend and had a nice smoke.

-Z

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This tobacco was a sample tin at my local tobacco shop, thus I can not attest to the moisture level of a new tin. What I sampled was of perfect moisture level. I prefer a VaPer blend to be a bit drier so that it will not require as much drawing, thus less bite. I noticed a bit of sweetness in the tin, but none in the smoke. I upon match was a bit concerned that the Oriental addition was a bit too much, but the earthiness subdued after a few puffs. The VA tobacco was more tangy than sweet, and the Perique was more hit and miss than a constant. The blend seemed well balanced and rather refined, but it did leave me wondering what a bit more Perique would do. The bottom of the bowl was a bit more like the top with the Izmir letting its self be known. I would try this blend again but think that a bit of cellaring might make a good blend an excellent one.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

I have tried probaly 40 Virginia blends in the last 6 months. Most I have liked....some I LOVE. I have sampled the best blenders from England, Ireland, Germany, Denmark, and America. IMHO the Tarlers at C&D hold thier on with the very best. Out of the 8-10 C&D blends that I have tried they have each recieved a 3 or 4 star rating.

Red Carpet is 'bout as good as a VAPER gets. After drying, and rubbing out this blend packs, lights, burns great. The Va. have the lead, supported by the Perique/Izmar. Mildly sweet, peppery taste with no bight when sipped. This is not my favorite from the "Simply Elegant" series....but it's close.....good enough that I have orderd a couple of pounds to consume/cellar.

Rate *

Once again. C&D offers nicely prepared, high quality flakes of dark VA/Per ~ 1/16" thick. I felt that the initial moisture content was too high from the tin resulting in difficult intial lighting and numerous relights but solved by further drying. I don't rub out my flakes. However, I left the tin open on my desk for this process and received several compliments on the tin aroma even from non smokers. Just a great tobacco smell. I missed the sweeter taste of my preferred golden VAs but this blend offers a nice change with the addition of the Turkish. However, if you don't enjoy a healthy Perique influence, go elsewhere.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

**"Rosebud"

One look at the one pound tin's attention to detail clearly demonstrates C&D's love of ingredients and pride in craft. The two tissue wrapped bundles of joy show the superior care that elevates a mere blender into maestro status. Bravo! The contents are very good too.

Youth is wasted on the young, but in this case it became the center of attention. This tadpole needs some aging. But its youthful exuberance is so much fun to tangle with. Bright, Sassy and full of promise.

As an infant, it smokes with brassy high notes from the Orientals and the tang of Virginia. The Perique aroma in the tin doesn't translate into the flavor of the smoke...it merely plays peek-a-boo. The deeper flavors of red virginia don't come into their own until mid-bowl, but are delicious.

**My nickname for this tobacco, and Citizen Kane's final word on his deathbed. I hope I utter the same word while puffing on this wonderful weed on my deathbed..... In about forty years.

I want to go quietly like my great-grandfather did. Not screaming and wailing like all his passengers.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

While it is typical of all C&D tobaccos that in that some aging is necessary for this blend to reach its full potential, it shows great promise. Perfect flakes rub out nicely, the initial light is quite sharp from the orientals. The second light gives a very good representation of the fine blending of red Virginia and Oriental Izmir. This is another tobacco that should be sipped for it can bite. I recommend that everyone that cellars should put a few of these away for a year or two.

dallaspipehead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dallaspipehead (12)

I found this blend to be as good as could be expected, after having tried other similar C&D products. That is, after I found the right pipe for it. Let me just throw this in- after trying the best that England, Denmark and Germany had to offer, then bringing it back home to put these guys up against McClellands...aside from the Grand Orientals, C&D wins my vote as best blenders IN THE WORLD. First I tried RC in my Peterson Barrel because I love to smoke Sunday Picnic out of it. Seeing as how the blends are siblings from the same series, and different only in the type of virginia used, I thought it would be close. Oddly enough, these siblings don't get along in the same pipe. At this time, I only have so many Petersons and clays that I will smoke, so I try to keep similar blends labeled for specific pipes.(This is probably not uncommon.) Eventually, I'd like to have one for each, but for now this blend works very well in my Peterson 150, which is dedicated to Fillmore, Kajun Kake and Bayou Morning Flake. I'm trying to keep the training wheels on my new pipes a while, so I'm only packing half a pipe for the sake of the cake building process. So far, it's been fantastic. I'm just as pleased as I was with Sunday Picnic from the "Simply Elegant" series, when I christened the Barrel with it. It starts off just mildly sweet in the VA department, with a gentle perique presence. Halfway through the half-packed bowl, the turkish spoke up a bit and the gingery spice of perique moved aside. For a moment, the turkish brought forth a slight curry-like sensation that merely presented itself and drifted back as though it were part of a good bluegrass trio. A little nicotine tingle, (less than Fillmore) but nothing to go running downstairs for a glass of milk to coat my stomach over. I really can't say say a bad thing about it, other than 2oz will not be enough now. Great change up for the die hard VaPer fans. And before you know it, the show is over. No fuss, easy lighting, no glop and a nice powdery ash. If I have something I don't like at first, I try again later. That happens to me and my pallet...what's bad today seems good tomorrow. Who knows, the sinuses and condition of your tastebuds can drastically change the way you experience something. Sometimes some C&D blends seem a little off at first, but the more I smoke them, the more I like them. Find the right pipe, and I bet they're all winners.

Petersons Rule! (especially with C&D blends in them!)

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This one struck me as being relatively unflavorful when compared to many other Va. I was barely able to taste the Oriental or Perique, and I've now opted to use the rest of this tin for blending. I think that many others, however, might really enjoy this well-presented Va., so I'm giving this two stars instead of one. The quality really seems to be top-notch.

UncleBob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleBob (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

The flake is dark with some lighter mottling, moist, and easily shreds. Although a moist flake, I have had no difficulty is lighting and it smokes completely to a light gray ash. I should note that I do not "rub out" flakes when I pack them.

I am having difficulty is describing the flavor. It smells sweet out of the tin and yet there is no real trace of sweetness in the smoke. The first half of the bowl displays an expresso aftertaste and I get a slight pepper on the tip of my tongue. I get a distinct cirtrus as the bowl finishes.

This is a contemplative smoke that is best enjoyed in quiet reflection. The flavors are complex and vary during the smoke. Be careful on the pack, however. It gets hot and bland if packed a little too tight.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Ouf! When I saw the description for this tobacco, " The perfect blend of Red VAs and Périque with a touch of Izmir for interest", I went Yea Man, this is what I need to try! Needless to say, the proportion of Périque, plus the Izmir, makes it quite...interesting. This tobacco, in a broken flake form rather than a full flake like, say Erinmore Flake, is something I have never tasted before.

When I opened the tin, I was welcomed by a medium dark broken flake, with some strings of golden tobacco, with a very strong aroma of Périque and a very present earthy and oriental tones; I can't say I was pleased by the aroma at first, and the tobacco's moisture level was very high, too high for me to think about smoking it right there. I had to let it dry, sealed with the plastic top on it, for a couple weeks before I ventured into trying it. By then, the somewhat not very nice smell had cooled down, still dominated by the Périque, but the red Vas had started to shine through and the oriental had a better presence too. By then, the smell was way better than at first. Just the "plain" smell of strong Bakkie.

I usually prefer to fully rub out the flake, leaving some small flakes in to slow down the combustion, but this bakkie smokes slow, it needs some relights; but at the time of my review, it is because the tobacco moisture is still kind of high. However, it still smokes dry.

As I was saying, the lighting up takes a few retrys and right from the start, the Périque is dominant, letting the Vas and Izmir emerge every once in a while. The taste and strength are full but, despite the dominance of the Périque, it is still an enjoyable smoke. The room note is, by no means, strong like Irish Flake or Haddo's Delight. By mid-bowl, my tongue was slightly numb but the Périque settled down somehow to let the Vas emerge more, combined with a background of Izmir.

I suspect the Bakkie needs to dry a bit more, and most certainly some aging to allow the three bakkies to merge together more properly. I believe this flake has a lot of potential but needs some time of aging. So I will certainly update my review in a couple months. I'm pretty sure the Vas and Izmir will be more dominant by then. Strength wise, it is comparable to Irish Flake so, if you don't have hair under your chin yet, you better pass on this one. It is a very nice tobacco, but certainly not a daily smoke for me.

The nicotine kick is absolutely guaranteed. Also, it took me approximately 2 hrs to get through a medium size bowl.

Overall, a different bakkie, strong and tasty, beautiful leaves but that needs some time for the bakkies to mix together and mellow down.

For now, I recommend it for those who like a good dose of Périque. If you don't like it, this Bakkie is not for you!

Update - 24 JUL 07

I needed to update earlier than I figured, because because the Bakkie has settled down a lot in the last week.

The tin aroma is now of pure tobacco, not unpleasant as it was at first to my nose; but the smell of good tobacco, mostly composed of the Oriental and Red Va, while the Périque has cooled down even more, but remains present.

As for the smoking, the change is very interesting, the red VA and Izmir are now in the "avant-scène", creating a nice mixture of sweet/earthy/spicy flavors, backed up by the tasty Périque which wraps it up beautifully without trying to take over. I have to change the strength to medium to strong, instead of strong and the taste to medium to full, instead of full, for they both diminished as the tobacco dried up a bit more and the leaves had more time to merge in.

Red Carpet is a wonderful smoke because the addition of Izmir changes the traditional relationship between VAs and Périques, bringing it a new, zesty dimension. This brocken flake is worth the try, Lads.

Highly recommended, I am sure that with a couple years of aging, this bakkie will become a classic.