Naturally sweet Golden Virginia leaf with a drop of honey sliced into flakes.

Notes: Part of the Simply Elegant Series

Blended ByCraig Tarler
FlavoringHoney
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Extremely Mild, Mild
Taste

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I first tried this blend fresh out of the tin and while a very flavorful smoke, it was a touch moist for my tastes and was hard to keep lit and it tended to be a little burning on my tongue. I left the tin open for a few days and it dried to a nice moisture content and mellowed into a very pleasant smoke. It has been pressed and cut into thick ribbon flakes and it is a medium brown in color. They are rather long flakes and can be smoked either rubbed out if you like it moist, or as is if you let it dry somewhat. It has a very sweet clean tin aroma, smelling of the straight VA that it is but you can also get a whiff of the honey flavoring added. I have found in the past that honey flavoring can make a blend smoke hot, but this is not the case with this blend. It has just a hint of sweetness to the already sweet flavor of the VA. Moist and you can pack it to tight but dried a little and it packs nice in the pipe and gives a nice slow smoke that stays lit pretty well. It burns slowly down to the bottom of the pipe with a medium grey ash and just a little dry dottle at the bottom of the bowl. The room note is a pleasant sweet VA aroma and not overwhelming at all to others. OK, here is why I did not give it a 4 star rating, while it gives pleasant smoke and my tin did seem to empty awful fast, if you smoke it even a tiny bit fast it will bite. But smoked slow, it I very satisfying. I also would have liked for it to have been cut thinner to speed up the drying process and to make it where it would be easier to roll out before smoking. Overall, this is a very enjoyable smoke, jut not among the top ones out there. Well worth a try though.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

somewhat acrid, with a small hint of sweetness from the honey. as others have said it almost tastes like a barn.

smoking qualitys: burns very hot and needs a lot of attention whiles smoking it very slowly.

Im mostly a fan of burley, but i thought id like a light virginia for a change, cant really say im impressed by this blend unfortunatly.

appologies for my bad writing skills...this is not my native language.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

This tin comes in a very easy to light, if done right, flake. It's a very long lasting light smoke.

During the entire bowl, even the end, I got a great subtle honey overtone. A greatly done casing. The main flavor was a solid C & D bright Virginia. The room note was obviously great. The wife loved it.

This blend isn't exactly as mellow as some, but I enjoyed that factor. Still an all day smoke, and one I would like to stuff a pipe with, and drive across the country. A must try.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, H.I.S Egg Bent

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Opening Night (Simply Elegant Series), Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Yet another fantastic virginia blend from the Simply Elegant Series. Smooth, Sweet with a bold spice that lingers on your tongue. This blend is an excellent example of why virginia flake tobaccos are so popular. The addition of honey makes this a mouth wateringly sweet smoke while still retaining that spicy tang that C&D virginias are known for. An excellent all day smoke. Light, Sweet and interesting.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Strong

After a long debauch with strong dark flakes I felt the need for a lighter virginia. Remembering C&D's sublime Opening Night I thought it might be time to crack open that five year old tin of Manhattan Afternoon I'd been cellaring and give it a try. A light Va, delicately sweetened with honey sounded like just the ticket.

The smell on opening the tin was surprisingly strong and acrid, redolent of wet hay and young plums. Smoked right from the tin gave a bitey, acrid smoke that wouldn't let me parse the flavors correctly. Letting it dry out a bit gave a much more pleasant smoke, but still not the sweet Va with a hint of honey that I was hoping for. The honey is definitely noticeable if you slow down -- a lot -- but the honey doesn't integrate with the flake so much as sit lightly on top of it. One thing is clear, though, as others have said, this must be sipped very slowly to be appreciated.

bteddy says that it "has a somewhat barn taste". I think there's something to that. That's why I think calling this blend Manhattan Afternoon is a misnomer, since there's nothing simply elegant and urbane about it. I think Morning Hayride or Podunk Barnraising would be closer to the mark.

I can understand what others see and appreciate in this flake, but it was not what I was expecting. It's not a sweet nor a creamy smoke. Still, it's not a terrible smoke, so I'll finish the tin and update my review if my opinion changes.

Update 07/17/13:

I do not find this an agreeable flake. I'm almost through the tin, and I have not had a single relaxing bowl: the cut is difficult to work with; it smokes very hot; it needed constant tending to. The flavor occupies a unique alto range that I like, but I suspect the honey turns the flake acrid rather than sweet when burning, which gives it a sharp character that is unpleasant to my tastebuds.

I've had a few sips that revealed its secrets to me, but it's too little reward for the effort: the flake requires such a slow smoking rhythm, is too acrid, and requires so much attention when burning that it's not worth the trouble.

That said, though I think it's not a smoke that most will enjoy, I suspect there are some for whom the flavor will hit the bullseye, since it is a quality flake that occupies a unique flavor profile. So I think it's worth the gamble for the serious virginia flake lover who wants to try something different in a medium-key smoke that's acrid but with hints of sweetness. But it's definitely not for me.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The blenders at C&D, not to mention their many happy customers, must have very different palates to mine. I won't judge their taste, and trust they'll extend me the same courtesy. This was yet again a disappointment to me. Imagine making a sandwich out of untoasted white bread and hay. That's about the flavor I got from this, no matter how dry or wet or rubbed out I smoked it. Toward the end of the tin, after it had dried out too much and had to be re-hydrated, there was more sweetness (perhaps really a muting of the other flavors, allowing the sweetness to come to the forefront) and more nicotene. That was better, but still nothing to write home about. I still have some C&D blends in my cellar and in my list to try, but so far my luck with them is dismal.

Pipe Gent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Gent (8)

Searching through hordes of aromatics, I finally found a tobacco that could be smoked indoors, yet that still retained the "pure" tobacco taste. I enjoy a true aromatic on occasion, but this is great--it just straddles the line between aromatic and straight virginia, and allows me to get away with smoking it in the home without offending company. The flakes in the tin I received were lovely to look at, but did fall apart fairly easily. I will admit I am still a flake rookie, but I was able to get a nice bowl going. Upon lighting up, I was surprised to find that although the golden virginias were prominent, the honey was also more noticeable than I expected. However, this is not a negative trait about this tobacco--the honey and the golden virginia marry very nicely together and the experience as a whole was both pleasant and calming. The honey was by no means overpowering and lent itself nicely to a pleasing room note. This might still be too mild for some, and the virginias might not be "unspoilt" enough for the virginia purist. Still, I consistently enjoy it when it is too cold to smoke one of my more robust blends and makes for a nice variation and a peaceful evening. If you are interested in flakes, virginias, and don't mind a drop of honey in your pipe, do try this.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

A pleasant, mild smoke.

The honey is not overwhelming and this one burns to nice, white ash.

I prefer my Virginias with a little more moxie but would not hesitate to recommend Manhattan Afternoon to someone looking for a milder, sweet smoke.

takkun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
takkun (9)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An anecdote: I sat on the landing over my building's mailboxes waiting for the postman to arrive. This is a blend I've wanted to try for six months, and yet I couldn't wait for it to get here.

The tin: I prefer the European-style screw-lid tins, and this was my first American tin. The artwork is lovely, and the neat little note inside made me overjoyed to try know the work that went into this blend. I took a big whiff. Plums plums plums. Almost the same smell as opening a bag of prunes. The flakes are thick and mostly intact, which I can't say from when I buy loose flakes from my tobacconist.

Packing and lighting: the flakes were moist and springy. I usually like mine a bit drier, but went ahead anyway...too excited to wait. They folded well and crumbled a bit, which made it easier to get into a small conical Kirsten bowl. It took a little work getting it lit, but it stayed lit and burned evenly.

The smoke: Again, plums. A very rich taste. No sign of any honey that I can detect. this burns very cool and no bite (my tongue is sensitive, so that's saying a lot), with no drying. Occasional hints of citrus, and a little bit of hay, but not as much as PS Luxury Navy, my usual go-to. Burns to a grey-white ash.

Room note: I gave that rating because I find that inevitably, with a few exceptions, pipe smoke goes stale very fast: aromatics smell like acrid chemicals and virginias smell a bit like cigarettes, so I'm being more objective than the average piper. The sidestream is strong, but the room during the smoke is leafy and sweet and really adds to the experience.

DoctorHoo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorHoo (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I'm going to be presumptious and review MA and Interlude at the same time since they are quite similar and I'm giving them both three stars, even though neither of them is really my thing. They are both obviously well made of high quality tobaccos. Unlike at least one of my fellow reviewers, I like the semi-broken flakes. For me, though, the flavoring is just too strong to enjoy smoking either of them regularly. Someone with a better pallate might be able to taste the subtlties of the tobaccos through the casing through the flavoring but I really can't. Like others have said, though, this would be a great introduction to "real tobacco" for an aromatic smoker Plus, if I ever win the lottery, I will be buying several pounds of one of these to smooth out some of the the over latakiaed or overly nicotined blends that haunt my tobacco shelf.

This is "sippin' leaf," for sure... A lightly topped (with honey), Virginia leaf that is smooth, cool and slow burning due to the flake cut. I smoked very slowly for best results. It'll deliver a nice palate pleasing taste but won't rattle your cage with strength.

mskywalker2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mskywalker2000 (11)

Bright Virginia, muted by honey. Honey does not particularly stick out.

dogwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogwood (17)

it smokes cool and smooth. the flavor is great. it has just enough honey to complement the tobacco but not overpower the subtle sweet flavor. i've been looking for an alternative to hal o' the wynd b/c of it's immense nicotine content. this blend is a good alternative yet not quite as fine as hal which to me is the bench mark.

the only downside is the absolutely BONKERS cut that C&D use for their flake tobacco. it would be nice to rub out into ribbons but instead you get tiny useless specks of tobacco. i've found smoking small pieces to burn faster and produce harsh bitter smoke. you must smoke this tobacco in broken flake form or fold large half flakes into your bowl. C&D should just sell this as a crumble cake like briar fox, blockade runner, etc. that's how the tobacco is cut anyway. at least then there would be a logical reason for the odd cut.

even with the wierd cut this is still a fantastic blend and well worth checking out.

EJinVA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EJinVA (1)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This has quickly become one of my favorites. I find it very mellow and delicious, a good relaxing smoke. I can't add much more to the favorable reviews ahead of me. No bite, no bitterness, just a good sweet Virginia.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a very nice Virginian flake. The flakes rubbed out easily and the moisture content was just right.

In both the tin and in the smoke the Honey casing is barely noticeable but, it adds a subtle sweetness to your pallete. Try it with some Drambuie or nice cup of tea to enhance the honey effect even more. I got to bite at all from this one.

This is a nice light blend to relax with and enjoy your surroundings.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Another winner Flake from C&D. I love them all! The "honey" note comes through ever so slight as you smoke. This is all natural,delicious and sweet Golden Virginia tobacco. Pressed and sliced to perfection. Slices were completely intact and moisture was perfect. An easy rub, crumble and pack. I packed a large bowl two-thirds full and smoked for an hour and a half. It was perfection all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

I love Flake tobaccos, the way they burn, smell and taste. You can't go wrong with this one, either. A classic prepared to perfection. Four Stars.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (36)

sweet, light and tastey. pretty good smoke volume for being a lighter blend. To mild for me though.

Aunrd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aunrd (1)

The fastest I've ever gone through a tin. This was my go to smoke for quite a while. Light and tasty. Highly recommended.

proc2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
proc2000 (7)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A nice, slightly sweet tobacco without being overly sweet. It takes awhile to get the packing of this one down correctly, but it burns very nice once you do. Light honey flavoring comes through and is very light. The taste of the tobacco is at the forefront, and is naturally sweet in and of itself. A nice Virginia.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (110)

Good tobacco; basically Briar Fox with a light honey casing. The honey seems to mute any underlying complexity. So don't expect nuances of flavor. But it burns pretty well and doesn't bite. All in all, a solid choice but not a bell-ringer.

This somewhat reminds me of MacBaren burleys, but I like the Macs better because I find they have more depth. The Macs are, to me, just more interesting and satisfying.

Govern Yourself Accordingly,

SmokeKing David

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)

Looked like an interesting Virginia flake but smoked too hot for me due to all the brights and honey added. Tried to age it for many months, but stayed about the same.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

C&D's "Simply Elegant Series" is............. Yet another winner from the Tarler's at C&D. This is the sixth blend I have tried from this GREAT blender of fine tobaccos. I have rated each one 3-4 stars. M A is simply a fine golden Va. I detect no casing, only sweet mild tobacco. After drying and rubbing out I find that M A packs, lights easily, and burns cool. Briar Fox, and Sunday Picnic may be slightly better, but I will be buying more of this for now, and the cellar. It will only get better.........for now a give this one a solid *

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

These nicely prepared flakes are typical of the C&D craft and had an ideal moisture content from the tin for packing. It smoked cool and without bite from start to finish without any further rubout. In my larger sized bowls (5+), some condensation developed in the bottom 1/3 which spoiled the smoke. I didn't taste the honey but enjoyed the sweet tobacco taste. However, overall the smoke was one dimensional but may improve with aging.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Of course, sweet gold Virginia leaf with a dose of honey in the flake. A very good Virginia, with a very beautiful, sweet and natural flavor, which makes me be sure that I was in a hurry to characterize FVF. It is a tobacco of high level which we have to supply in a good quantity and keep him at least 1-2 years. As the reviewers say, when it gets more mature, it will become more enjoyable. Dry till the end, it does not warm up the bowl, no coughing at all. P.S. I need a Joker guys, so I can visit their laboratory. The more you smoke, you understand that it is a TOBACCO. These kind of tobaccos, define to a large extend the smoking philosophy of each country. Americans smoke in a different way than the Europeans and the British.

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My dear wife and flew down to Charlotte, NC to visit our youngest son. And while there we drove up to Ashville, visited there and came down through the mountains on a secondary road, through Morganton, home on Cornell & Diehl.

Our visit to the Tarler's shop was the highlight of the excursion. The Tarlers are a delightful couple, and their crew was friendly and and informative. Craig walked me through their operation, explaining the different machines and processes, all the while quizzing me on the tobaccos I like, handing me tins to try.

One of those tins was Manhattan Afternoon. I have had several bowls and it is a very nice smoke. I just did not click with some other Cornell & Diehl blends in the past. Lately, I have been on a winning streak with them. Manhattan Afternoon is one of the winners.

If you try it, I think you will find it enjoyable. I also highly recommend a side trip to Morganton if you are ever in NC. Just call or email ahead to let them know you would like to visit. It is worth the time and gas.

The first reviewer gives a more thorough, analytical review than mine, check it out for the details. My less detailed judgment? "Two thumbs up."

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)

I am honored to be the first to review this fine tobacco as well as to have sampled it during the Chicagoland 2007 show. I have already purchased and cellared alot of this tobac and for good reason; I believe that it can rate with the classics of virginias.

At this time, the tobacco is young but, with a couple of years aging, it shall get better and sweeter. There are similarities between Manhattan Afternoon (MA), SG's Best Brown Flake, SG's FVF, McClelland's Organically Grown Flake, and McClelland's Christmas Cheer. The latter four, in my opinion, are the gold standard for virginias. However, MA is a little anemic now and needs some age. Given that the virginias are all golden, this should be like smoking candy in 2009 and 2010. Nice hay-like smell. I'm excited!

aj

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Not what I expected, there are many better Virginia blends on the market, this was way too mild for my taste with hardly any note of honey. Has a somewhat barn taste - like wet grass clippings, didn't even finish the bowl.