A fragrant blend of four ready rubbed Virginia tobaccos including ribbon cut, plug, curly, and flake, lightly top dressed with Cognac for an elegant pipe smoking.

Notes: Limited Edition

BrandRattray
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringCognac
Strength
Taste

3.2
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I think aromatic smokers must be the finest ladies and gentlemen in the world. They never bash the English/Virginia/Perique smokers while taking a bashing (unfairly) themselves.

Ain't nuthin' wrong with a pleasant aromatic and this new Rattray's offering is sublime. It "is what it is," and that comes down to a nice Vanilla sort of taste that has been enhanced with some mighty fine booze.

This tobacco burns clean and dry and delivers the goods in both strength and flavor.

Want a quality aromatic? Well, here you go!

Coltrain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrain (8)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Now as of late I have not been to enamored with aromatics, I have all but removed them from my rotation, but when Glynn sent me a sample of Bagpiper's Dream to try I said where's the harm.

On first inspection this tobacco is the perfect consistency for smoking, not too wet and not dry. It smells divine. The sweetness of cognac is unmistakable but it is far from overpowering, it's just right.

As I smoked trough the bowl, still possessing reservations about aromatics in general, I was blown away. Smoking this reminded me why I smoked aromatics in the first place. It filled all the criteria a top quality aromatic should. It smelled divine in the room (girlfriend approved; the highest accolade any tobacco can receive in the room note category), it TASTED like it smelled for the whole bowl! (a rarity) AND as if it hadn't already impressed me enough, it didn't need a single relight.

Top quality stuff, the cognac may not be for everyone but if it is you'll agree, it's a tough one to beat.

P.S. Please take into account that my 4 star rating is based on an aromatic scale alone. I never group aromatics and non-aromatics together as they are different smoking experiences.

Pipe Used: Falcon Coolway 23

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

I tried a bowl of this at a nearby B&M at the suggestion of the salesman on staff. It was so tasty I bought some tins to enjoy in the future. Normally I would have waitied to review this until I had had some more but with so few people chiming in on this one I had to give it my 2 cents earlier.

It tastes great - sweet & aromatic for sure - but the Virginia taste comes through and it was not "goopy" or overly cased with sugar. Supposedly it's flavored with cognac and I can actually detect a hint of this alcohol in the taste. The room note will likely have non-smokers hanging out near you - its that good! Couldn't have this all the time, but it's a quality dessert smoke. The sample I had seemed to have dried a bit in the store and I suspect that is the preferred way to enjoy it as I had no bite - at least in my one encounter.

If you can enjoy heavy aromatics and like VA's give this try - it is quality smoke.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (69)

An Aromatic from Rattray, the tin says it is composed of Dark VA flake, spun cuts, golden, red and dark VA and their exclusive black cavendish. The full spicy taste of the tobacco's is rounded off with, amongst others, cognac, all the rest is a secret (translated from the German description on the bottom of the tin). The tobacco smells very nice, fairly highly flavoured with a spicy background. Indeed the cut is loose cut with the mentioned rubbed out flakes and some spun cuts. The quality of the tobacco is excellent, smoothly palatable with no tongue bite. Behind the flavouring the spicyness creeps in and all the different cuts blend in harmoniously when smoking. Give this one a try if you are into high quality aromatics. Rob

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (20)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

A good aromatic. Strong Congnac flavoring that is actually quite pleasant. A bit one dimensional but a nice change of pace when a sweet aro is required. Another quality tobacco from Rattray.

Pipe Used: Stanwell egg

Purchased From: Cup o Joes

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (56)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Tin note is very inviting, with vanilla and caramel sweetness and a hint of woods and earth. Once lit, there is an explosion of plum and cassis on the nose. On the tongue, this tobacco has a very real sweetness that carries through the entire smoke. This might seem all over the top, and to be sure this is a very fragrant, very sweet aromatic, but there is a complexity and balance here that prevents it from being vulgar or cloying. The tobacco is perfectly presented for smoking, requires no drying, and burns cool and dry to the last. The virginias themselves are light and mild. A very gentle, friendly tobacco.

hunterPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hunterPiper (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I must say after reading the reviews here I was really looking forward to smoking some of this blend. This review is completely a first impression, so take it with a grain of salt.

Bagpiper's Dream is reputed to be flavored with cognac. I've had a number of VSOPs in my day, but none that resembled the sweet, cloying slightly vomitous odor that popped out when I broke the seal on the can. The tobacco was rather moist so I let it dry out about an hour and loaded up.

It lit well and after a charring, stayed lit if I was attentive to the pipe. The sickly odor did not come through in the smoke. I thought it burned consistently, though on the hot side and I did get gurgle twice. I'm willing to put the blame for that on my Comoy Apple - it has never really behaved well. I will definitely give this another shot in two other pipes.

I set the pipe aside about ten minutes ago and while the taste in my mouth is not bad, it's nothing to make me say "Yum!" The room note right now is reminiscent of maybe sour apricot? Not pleasant.

There are aromatics I truly love: IRC Three Star Royal and Nording's Retriever for two. I think, however, you have to be an aromatic fanatic to love this one. Will update if further smokes change my opinion.

Pipe Used: Comoy Apple

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a 100g tube of this stuff a couple of months back, and to be honest, I still haven't made my mind up as to whether or not I like it. Although I do have a tendancy to go for latakia blends, I do enjoy a good aromatic. When I read the reviews on here, I thought: this is it, an aromatic with a dose of nicotine! But when I tried it I was some-what disappointed, I don't want to piss on anyone's bonfire here as I can see from previous reviews that I'm in a minority, but I found this somewhat lacking. The smell from the tub was amazing, and the initial lighting gave me a wonderful myriad of flavours, including the tobacco tastes from the cavendish and virginia, as well as the casing. But as I smoked it down the bowl, it became more and more bitter and I became less enthusiastic about smoking it. I don't know, per-haps I haven't given up on it yet, but it's not as good as I was expecting, thats for sure!

Bagpipers Dream is a different kind of aromatic than those often found here in the US. The tin note is sweet with the liquor scent coming through. The appearance is of high quality tobacco. There are even some curlies in the blend! The Virginias rather than the Cavendish run the show here. BD is not overly complex, but more so than most aromatics. It smokes on the dry side and the tobacco taste comes through the casing. The casing itself isn't a bell ringer for me as it's a little too floral for my tastes. Due to the quality of the tobacco, I think it's worth a try for any aromatic smoker. Rattray has definitely put some thought and into this blend. Recommended.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This, my friends, is one of the finest aromatics I had the opportunity to smoke! And, for a change, it does contain enough Vitamin N to keep me happy. The loose cut, broken flakes and curlies that compose BD makes for a very enjoyable burning and smoke. The cognac - and not whiskey - casing is delighful to the nose and palate. Past half point, the casing diminishes and allows for the tobacco taste to emerge, which is a nice bonus. You are looking for a high grade aromatic that smokes dry. tastes great and has a decent dose of Vitamin N? Do not search anymore and get some BD!

Postie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Postie (9)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Made me sick to my stomach. Being a Piper, I had hoped this would be kind of cool to have in my Bagpipe case. Well, better not.

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (11)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I only discriminately smoke aromatics, usually opting for a good VA or other natural tobacco over an aromatic so when I placed an order for a couple of Va's I bought Orlick Golden Sliced (my staple) and was going to get a tin of Hal o' the Wynd but decided I would try something different from Rattray. It was a gamble as I usually don't try 100g tins of something I've never tried before but I'm happy I did.

The smell is certainly of some distilled beverage. Cognac? Okay - I'll take their word for it. Whatever it is it's certainly delicious - a bit flowery to the nose from the tin but when smoking it the flavor comes through and perfectly blends with the tobacco giving a truly alcoholic tobbaco flavor which brings to mind pirate ships and rum - or cognac or whatever! It's very nice indeed!

I always liked the idea of 'whiskey' or other alcoholic tobacco but the one's I've tried have always smelled nice in the tin but have always come up short in the pipe. This one is an exception to that experience however and will probably become something I always keep on hand as it's tasty and pleasant enough for my own tastes and it seems to me to be a bridge builder tobacco that all pipe smokers would enjoy. I'll test that premise out at the next opportunity of my traditional Catholic parish's men's "poker night."

This tobacco is a little on the moist side and will benefit from a little air drying. The container's lid is a little loose and doesn't seal as well as I would like but I just emptied the whole container into a ziplock bag and re-stuffed the bag back into the container to make a zip-lockable sealed container - the original container is too attractive to just discard and stuff the tobacco in a mason jar!

Pipe Used: Basket Pipe

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Rattrays Bagpipers Dream . This one is easily one of the most aesthetically intriguing Tobacco's I have tried . The unlit blend is of a really eclectic mix and a wide spectrum of shapes, sizes and colours , there being some jet Black Cavendish larger pieces , some light Virginia and some darker Virginia with one or two pieces of the spun cut Tobacco thrown in also . Aroma is that of a predominantly Virginia blend with a topping of Brandy , but it isn't too false smelling . Moist level is not to be argued with , just perfect and not requiring any extra airing time . Once filled and lit it is remarkable , the burn is more than auspicious when it comes to evenness and the flavour is great as you get only a slight Brandy note with the Virginia and Cavendish having plenty of room to shine , both at an equilibrium that is faultless so that no flavour is too heavy . Nicotine level , again , cant be faulted and if you inhale the smoke then you're head will not spin . Tongue bite is very elusive for me , even if I strain like crazy ! A very pleasing "light" Aromatic blend .

Pipe Used: Davorin Denovic Morta

Purchased From: Smoke King

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (32)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I really enjoyed this aromatic, and I enjoy only a few. The tin note and taste was boozy, just like I like it. It can bite, but you have to work at it. It is mild enough to smoke regularly but has a consistent tobacco/scotch taste through the bowl. Took a few light but then settled down. I like MacBaren's Scottish Mixture and this is reminiscent but lighter and certainly of a better tobacco quality. I have aged this a bit, one year, and it has developed a hint of pine, not a bad thing overall, and no souring from the aging. This is not a overwhelmingly sweet aromatic but lends itself to a very social room note.

Pipe Used: Cob and Clay

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Scottish Blend Mixture.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)

Pleasantly surprised by the tin note after all the references to Cognac! It's much sweeter and creamier, and very pleasant! (Cognac is very low in sugar - less than 1 gram per ounce). Four cuts of Virginia translate into an attractive looking tobacco. Slightly moist out of the tin - some drying improves the burn. The taste is of Virginia, Cognac, cream and quite pronounced notes of fruit (raspberry and apricot) and flowers (rose). The raspberry and rose are evident in the pleasing room note too. Not overly mild in tobacco strength, which is a positive in my book. A bit hot and bitey when pushed but al in all a very good aromatic. As I am not particularly fond of either rose or raspberry I cannot give more than 3 stars. If you enjoy well done boozy, fruity and floral notes you will probably love this tobacco.

Similar Blends: WO Larson Signature Vintage Mixture.

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Bagpiper's Dream smells intensely of cognac upon opening. The various cuts in the blend are a pleasure for the eyes and the himidity level is a bit high, so I had to put the tin away for a while before trying it.

BPD smokes dry and cool. It is very good, tastes of cognac big time but lets the tobacco taste come out as well. A nice aromatic of high quality!

tramm98 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tramm98 (1)

BPD is an excellent aromatic blend with strong notes of alcohol in both the flavoring and aroma.

It smokes relatively dry for an aromatic but it could still use some drying out. I found that my best smokes of BPD were after I had let it sit out for about 15 minutes before smoking.

It does a nice job of staying lit through the bowl and will smoke well even if you come back to it after a break.

My one real complaint about BPD is that it begins to lose its flavor about 2/3 down the bowl. Sometimes you are left with the taste of fine tobacco. Other times you are left with the horrifying taste of sulfurous ash. Probably had more to do with how I was smoking, but it was an experience I will not soon forget!

Overall, I would give BPD my highest recommendation if not for fear that others would buy it all up!

Pipe Used: Cob, Savenelli

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Another good blend from Rattray that i smoke. The tin note is very good, smooth and calm cognag flavor i can smell from it. Easy to pack and light with a great smoke and not much moise that makes my pipe fast gurgling. Is very sweet even when i relight it, the room notes is very sweet and pleasant that helps me to recover when i on bad mood.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (133)

I got a tin of this blend on a whim to see what it was like. I was pleasantly surprised to find this to be a fine blend with a wonderful room note. The tin note and room note are amazing and the room note should get you some compliments whilst you some this fine blend. This stays lit and burns down nicely. Highly recommended.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (21)
Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

It seems to me that the blenders have tried to create a new style of aromatic by merging Danish and British (Lakeland) aromatic traditions. If that sounds appealing to you, give it a shot. Not my cuppa tea.

Pipe1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe1000 (14)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream was an enjoyable smoke, but did disappointed slightly in that the smoke didn't quite live up to its tin note (although this is common place with most aromatics) in saying this, BP's Dream is a lovely aromatic and very enjoyable once air dried a little which left a somewhat dry bowl. The smoke was very smooth with no tongue bite. With a little more nicotine, this would be a well-rounded satisfying blend. It had a consistent flavour from the sweet Virginia throughout the bowl and I was left with a beautiful room note, recommended to any aromatic lover.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Even though a scottish bag piper enjoying a cognac based tobacco does not immediately make sense, this aromatic is quite extraordinary!

The tobacco smells immensely of cognac upon opening. The various cuts in the blend is a pleasure for the eyes and the himidity level is a bit high, so I had to put the tin away for a while before trying it.

BPD smokes dry. It is very good, tastes of cognac big time but lets the tobacco taste come out as well. As it marks the pipe, you want to dedicate a pipe to this beautiful, rich and tasty aromatic.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (30)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

The very first tobacco i ever tried when i bought my first pipe. I think this is the reason i took to it so well. again i love this tobacco the plum and cognac aroma is something spectacular, it burns slow ish i really will be filling up on this one again at some point it really is that good. Try if you havent you will not be dissapointed.

Camp Freddie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camp Freddie (10)

Not as sweet as the tin note/room note would have you believe, but actually a quite tasty, smooth blend. Smells fantastic both in the tin and in the pipe, but true to most aros, pack your snorkel as will get quite wet towards the end of the bowl. Very light on the Nic, but not a bad summer time smoke. A bit of a bar-setter for aromatics.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Strong

I do love rattrays, but mostly for their wonderful va blends. If I did smoke aromatics on a more regular basis this would be one of them, quality aromatic with a solid baccy taste, not too cased, not too much vanilla and the cognac and fruit flavors work well. Top aromatic.

pipey duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipey duck (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

oh what a pitty!!! Out of the tin a soft and sweet smell and a great appearance of all sorts of cutting let me think of a satisfey smoke, And once lit,there is a really sweet and pleasant smoking,but , often complained, to less nicotin!!!! if there is anybody knowing a sweet but STRONG tobacco which is NOT in the 1792 SG,or ST BRUNO style,please mail me. coming back to bagpipers dream; It doesn´t bite,it keep lit easy,and there is a mouthfull of light flavourt high quality tobacco, 3 stars about the little nic otherwise 4, i can recommend for all mild smokers who look for a sweet but tobaccotasty blend,

update the flavouring is one of the best i tried but the body is .......? 3stars for being sweet and the fine cognac taste. 1 for being a nicotin skeletor. together 3 stars if you looking for a good but very mild booze tobacco

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (28)

Medium cut, mixture of browns and black. Taste - mild and pleasant, but nothing exceptional.

Timberwolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Timberwolf (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Now, to set the tone of this review, I am not and aromatic smoker. I smoke primarily VA's, Burleys and limited English blends.

In looking for an aromatic that does not offer the traditional aromatic lack of taste and goopy residue in the pipe, I stumbled across this blend while filling a bad case of TAD.

The Cognac top dressing appealed to and intrigued me. Upon opening the tin, a pleasant aroma arose.

The pipe packed easily and the charring light emitted a distinct presence of the cognac, but also I detected quite regularly throughout the bowl the presence of vanilla.

I enjoyed this bowl as I was expecting a lot less. Quality tobacco, a pleasant room note that the wife and kids actually like, and a very nice change of pace.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Overwhelming

Look I'm convinced that I really don't care for Aromatics, and that is what this is. Good quality tobacco is used so If you're an Aro smoker give this a try and disregard my rating.

Update 10/28/11 I gave my tin to a bunch of "newbees" as we played cards. Since I was not smoking, I could really evaluate the aroma, cherry floral, and very cloying. I took the tin away from them !!! Down one more star

The Layman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Layman (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This aromatic was a bit different for me...and any tobacco that can separate itself from the crowd is a good thing in my opinion. When you open the can a very pleasant aroma drifts out and though it seemed familiar, I couldn't quite put my thumb on it. Then a lightbulb turned on and I had that "eureka!" moment. It was the jolly smell of bayberry. The pleasant holiday aroma that you usually detect around Christmas. Add to that a slight touch of whiskey and you have the overall flavor and aroma that comes from this particular blend of tobacco.

The taste is decent and will give you the hint of what you smell from the pouch. (To be honest, if you are looking for a great taste, you usually won't find it in an aromatic. You're better off searching for that from an English blend.) The tobacco burns cool and doesn't give much of a tongue bite. The room note really highlighted this tobacco much to the delight of my wife who can be pretty particular about the smoke. One down side that I noticed is that it is hard to keep the tobacco lit if you take it fresh from the tin. A little drying time is recommended. Overall, because this is such a distinct flavor from other aromatics I have to highly recommend this as it's a nice change of pace to add to your rotation.

Duncan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duncan (3)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

I tried this blend upon a suggestion of a friend. I am very impressed by this blend. It has a great room note and tastes just like it smells out of the can. I would think that even the biggest smoke haters will like the room note of this blend. If you like Aromatics then this is a must try!

McAdder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McAdder (10)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Strong

I found this at my tobacconist unexpectedly. I usually stay away from aromatics. I tend to smoke English blends with plenty of Latakia and Macedonian in them. I usually go for Penzance or Balkan Sasieni. Anyway, I have been smoking this out of a meerschaum pipe, and it is a match made in heaven. This mixture does not burn too hot or sear the tongue even if I pull on the smoke stream with strength.I have tried this in a couple of my briars, and I noticed that the taste became sour, however. I think I had it in a Peterson's 313. At any rate, I do happily recommend this tobacco. One more thing, I smoked this in a local pub, and the people there did enjoy the aroma.

john1179 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john1179 (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

THIS IS A VERY STRONG AROMATIC FOR ME, FLAVOR IS ACTUALLY VERY NICE. COULDNT TELL VERY STRONG ROOM NOTE. TASTE IS NICE, ALITTLE STRONG FOR ME, AND IT DOES LEAVE A SOMEWHAT SOUR AFTER TASTE. YET STILL I WOULD RECOMMEND AND MAY EVEN MIX W/ SOMETHING ELSE TO TRY A SEE IF I CAN GET THAT AFTER TASTE OUT.

Blocka33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blocka33 (1)
Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

I bought a tin of this based on the few reviews and the fact that I am a "Bagpiper".

Peel that tin open and let the caramel cognac aroma woft out. Interesting amalgamation of flakes and cuts etc filling the bowl like a jigsaw puzzle.

Slightly moist out of the tin which i like but would benefit from a short period of drying before lighting.

Cool and tastey in the mouth. The real Virginia tobacco flavour is present and in glorious harmony with the sweetness - a triumph !

Will buy again.