This tin contains two ounces of Aragorn's favorite pipeweed, a blend of dark, mysterious Cyprus mountain Latakia, golden New World Virginia leaf, and the exotic spice of tobaccos from the orient. This is what he would enjoy with a pint in the Inn at Bree. This Middle Earth leaf was discovered in barrels off the coast at the edge of the western world. It was found under Bixby Bridge at mile 13.1 of the Big Sur Marathon. Savor this rare treasure, only 400 tins could be produced.

Notes: NASPC 2004

Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
3.7
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Made especially for the NASPC Show a couple of years ago, this light and airy "Middle Earth" blend was delightful. I wish I had more. The Virginia component was especially pleasing. I heard a rumor that Pease made this blend especially due to its aging qualities. I have one tin left and will revisit this tobacco in 2012... If I'm still around.

Best, Pipestud

Every once in a while, a tin of the NASPC limited addition blends from Greg Pease pops up on the market and I was a fortunate recipient (only 400 tins produced) of a tin of Aragorn at the 2012 Chicago pipe show. Blended in 2004, the top and bottom of the tin had “domed,” usually a great sign of what awaits inside. Upon opening, the tobacco's appearance is that of a medium English blend that had healthy doses of Latakia, Virginia's and Orientals. I am not sure what varietal of Oriental(s) was used, but what I can say is that they are tasty. Argorn has that often seen Pease rough cut look that I personally prefer to rub out a bit near the top of the bowl. Unlike some aged English/Balkan blends, I didn't feel that the Latakia had softened too much. The first word that comes to mind when smoking this blend is “balance.” There is a terrific harmony in this blend and it has an incense like quality to it. It is most likely sweeter than when originally tinned, but that was fine by me as Argorn retained a spicy quality to it as well. The end result was a sweet, spicy, smoky blend that was divine. I tend to smoke tobaccos on the dry side of things, and in the case of Argorn, I found that smoking it quite dry really made the flavor pop for me. In the end, I think Argorn was worth the few extra bucks to try one of these rare tins.

Agro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Agro (1)

I picked this blend at the International Pipe Show a couple years back. I finished the tin after several weeks and found the tobacco only became better as I reached the bottom.

The blend was a solid mixture of Virginia, Latakia, and Oriental tobacco that was well balanced and kept me coming back to it on a daily basis. Each flavor adds to the overall experience. The mixture revealed a rarely found smoothness even amongst other aged tobaccos. While the blend is strong, there was nothing outstanding about it. It did not feel like a limited release blend, but instead the kind of blend that one would smoke everyday as a fallback around other more exotic blends.

I would recommend picking up a tin if you ever find one available.