"American Flavour"

Manufactured ByVon Eicken
Blend TypeAmerican
CutCube
Packaging100g Tin, 50 g pouch
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Mild, Medium
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
1.3
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I have a moderate stash of Von Eicken 100g tins from the early 1990s that I collected mainly because the tin art was nice and so was the price. They could be gotten at Iwan Ries & Company for a very moderate price. A few years ago I popped the lid on their Lucky Star and loved the cube cut of the Burley mixed generously with a smaller amount of crimp cut Virginia. Perhaps the years mellowed the Virginia as I did no get any bite (or, any flavor), but the sour taste of the cubed Burley made me put down my pipe after a little over half the bowl.

Pipestud

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

As with most other Von Eicken blends, I was not exactly overwhelmed with this one. I tried one pouch some time back and 20 years down the line, I think I can still feel the aftertaste of this blend.

The tobacco comes in tiny cubes of medium brown pressed leaves, and from the taste of it, I'd say it's pure, sugared Burley with some burley-based Cavendish. The pouch aroma was not too strong, with the typical cocoa note of Burley.

The tobacco was pretty hard to light and almost impossible to keep burning. Hard puffing kept it alive but also rewarded me with an increasing tarry taste and unbelievable amounts of condensation -- when I smoked this in a Falcon, I had to drain the bottom of the pipe several times.

Relighting even a few minutes after the pipe going out regularly got me the Taste of Tar in the most unadulterated form I have yet experienced.

IMHO, it's a good thing this stuff is no longer being offered. It's the sort of blend that could turn me off smoking.

Jose The Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jose The Bear (10)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

Easy bite! So make it slow, or else you'll know the meaning of Knock.