Twist cut of finest Virginias and Perique tobaccos with a core of black Cavendish

BrandDavidoff
Taste

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As a longtime virginia flake smoker, such blends with perique always present a mixed bag to me. They sound good when described on the tin, but often fall flat in the flavor category. How many of us have had fantasies of smoking the new blend of virginia/perique we just bought as some pleasurable mix of sweet and spicy flavors unburdened by aromatic additives, only to bet let down by a flavorless flamethrower? I have grown tired of virginia blends that are had to keep lit, lacking in flavor, and scorching to the tongue. For those of you who think that you are the only one who has not figured out how to smoke a virginia without burning yourself, fear not, because it is probably not you. There are cool smoking virginia blends (see any S. Gawith flake, for example) and this is one of them, so enjoy!

Flake Medallions was a pleasant surprise. The tin aroma is a mix of tangy virginias tempered by the cavendish. Knowing that this contains perique, I think I detect that as well, but I am not sure that I would identify that as a component without the hint first.

The tobacco is of very fine quality, and beautiful to behold. It is not as wet out of the tin as the Mac Baren roll cake blends, but still required a bit of drying for my taste. The flake discs rub out easily, and into manageable pieces. I use the gravity filling method for just about everything that I smoke anymore, as I find that a loose pack improves the burn qualities of the tobacco, and makes it easier to relight without having to huff and puff and nuke my tongue. This technique worked well for this blend.

The flavor of this is wonderful for this type of blend. The cavendish adds extra depth and flavor to the virginias, which can sometimes seem a bit thin to my palate. The most pleasant surprise was the amount of spice the perique adds. It is noticeable, and pleasantly mingles with the cavendish and virgina to produce a very balanced smoke. This offers much more in the flavor department than many of the other va/perique blends that I have tried. It is also not overly sweet, and certainly not obviously aromatic, despite the presence of cavendish. It does, however, have a subtle sweet flavor which seems to be the sum of the va and cavendish working together.

The tobacco lights easily and accepts a char. It burned readily, with only a few relights, down to the bottom of the bowl. It smokes very cool for a virginia based blend. All in all it is very well executed. It is a bit pricey, but I suppose a tin of this, which is actually enjoyable to smoke, is a better value than another bland, generic, hot version of the same blend which sits for years and is then discarded. Highly recommended.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very nicely put together spun or disc cut blend. Yes, it does remind one of the presentation of Escudo but the leaf itself does not contain the depth of flavor presented by Escudo. Although lighter doesn't mean better or worse... just different.

The VaPer flavor is a wonderful change of pace for me and the unsweetened Black Cavendish did exactly what it was intended to do, created a little backbone without interfering with the overall presentation.

If Escudo is a little over the top for your taste buds, this Davidoff knock off will be well received.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Davidoff calls these "flake" medallions but of course they are not, they are twist medallions, in which the twist is sliced into Escudo-like coins. Call the thing Escudo Navy de Luxe LIGHT: at the heart of the twist there is a big segment of boring flavourless black Cavendish. This makes DFM much easier to smoke than Escudo Navy de Luxe, also far less interesting.

Beginners might enjoy the unchalleging playfulness of this tobacco, but people who like some flavour inside their pipes will pass it by.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

I have compared this side by side by side with Bullseye and Escudo. They are not close to being the same.

If I had more money, I would probably smoke Flake Medallions exclusively. lol. This blend is sweeter than Escudo, and less hay-like than Bullseye. Each has their own merits. Bullseye for the price, Escudo for flavor and balance, and Medallions for flavor, balance and sweetness.

The tin aroma in this tin is absolutely intoxicating, I would smoke bowl after bowl of this until the tin was empty, then I was on to the next one.

Highly recommended!

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Very close to Escudo - in "genetic" makeup, in taste and in my subjective enjoyment. Not quite there but close enough. Escudo does have the added benefit of being less expensive.

If there were not other tobacco blends worth smoking, this could be my all-day blend (nothing could ever be, of course!) as it is a wonderfully rich but fairly mild tasting VaPer tobacco. I think Davidoff really hit the mark with their blending credo of getting the finest leaf and demanding the finest production, thereby creating the finest tobacco blend. One of my measures of how well a tobacco will work for me is to smell the bowl once it has gone out. Ok, I know that sounds weird, but try it! This smells heavenly in a warm but non-smoking bowl. Maybe I'M the flake but so it goes!

This is a GREAT tobacco! If you like Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake, you need to try this. I enjoy the LBF but this is preferable to me. As the previous poster mentioned, even the aftertaste is delicious. It develops down the bowl and as the virginia gives up the forefront and the perique takes over a little more, it becomes more than just a sublime pleasure. I think this is destined to become a classic.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ah, Flake Medallions.

This tobacco is a real treat. Opening the tin, you are greeted with very handsome medallions, with a core of Black Cavendish. The smell is a bit on the sour side yet also sweet, and the moisture is perfect for filling your pipe without the need to air it out.

Rubbing this out, from my experience, tends to improve the flavor. Not drastically, but it smokes better and cooler, and becomes more complex. Or, you could just take two medallions (depending on the size of your bowl) put them on top of each other, fold, then stuff it in. Lighting this tobacco and keeping it lit is not a concern.

Mid bowl, the tobacco really develops, and the Virgina taste is absolutely amazing. The Perique is there for sure as well, and adds a nice, soft, peppery touch. Unlike other smokers, I was able to detect the Black Cavendish, though it is pretty far in the background.

Burns cooler than anything I've ever smoked before, and leaves no mess in your pipe.

Absolutely essential. This stuff is class.

Michigander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michigander (19)

Updated =

This is now my number one smoke. I absolutely love this stuff. The ultimate VA flake in my opinion.

Updated =

This has become my second favorite tobacco (after Davidoff's Scottish Mixture), maybe even tied for first. The best Virginia Flake I have smoked. Even the after taste is delicious. If you have not tried this..... you must.

Updated =

I hope that Davidoff never changes their approach to pipe tobacco. That approach seems to be "produce the definitive type and use only the best leaf and do it better than anyone else on the market". Yes, they are also the high price leader, but then a Mercedes at a Chevy price would be.... an Opel.

In the tin it is simply beautiful. Quarter sized tobacco coins. Somewhat reminisent of the old Three Nuns for those of you old enough to remember. The tin note is light prunes.

The flavor begins very Virginia, but somewhat deeper and more mellow. It grows even deeper and stronger down the bowl. The last third of the bowl the Perique kicks in but does not overpower. Just enough of that white pepper taste.

The room note is surprisingly nice. It is sweeter and lighter than I had expected from the flavor. Almost aromatic.

Davidoff has produced the Platonic ideal Virginia flake. Wow.

Ashik Ibrahim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ashik Ibrahim (2)

Of the tobaccos I've smoked thus far, this is hand's down one of my favorites.

First, the most negative aspect: I'm not a giant fan of the room-note. This is not an "aromatic" blend; that is, don't expect to be bowled over with the topping.

Also, unlike (say) cigars, the room-note from this tobacco makes one think of an ashtray more than some wood-paneled room in the Diogenes Club filled with men quietly puffing away, sipping Scotch, perusing the newspaper.

That said:

The medallions remain moist and fall apart to the touch quite easily.

They have a mild sour scent, a hint of sweetness, but the fullness and depth of a quality tobacco.

All of this becomes much more apparent in taste, especially about half-way through the bowl.

There is just the slightest bite, which (for me) is just right - a little pepper, but not "in-your-face." Like the difference between white peppercorns and black peppercorns.

The draw is full and rounded, but gentle and delicate. There is a sourness that reminds me of Meyer lemons as opposed to the common lemon.

Like Davidoff's cigars, I find this tobacco UNDERSTATED.

Over all and again, one of my favorites.

PebbleBrainGet'nAshtonite Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PebbleBrainGet'nAshtonite (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Flake Medallions. A modern, often overlooked, classic. If you are looking for perfectly sliced coins with a healthy proportion of Virginia Perique, and a jet black center of creamy Cavendish, this is for you. Yes, DFM is relatively milder than equivalent blends like: Peter Stokkebye LBF, Comoy's cask no. 7, Escudo, Macbaren DarkTwist, Dunhill DNR, etc. It has been said that the cavendish takes away from the intricacy of the Virginia and Perique. This may be true; the cavendish limits the brightness of the Virginias and the spice of the Perique, but it subdues them as much as it adds a nutty dried fruit and occasional vanilla sweetness. Don't be scared off by the sweetness, it's a natural velvety sweetness no topping that I can detect. The sweetness comes and goes accompanied by a nutty toast and cedar essence. Incredibly cool smoking - stays lit like a sweet dream you wake up from, go back to sleep and it continues. Try to let it go out -no it will always come back. Smokes cool and creamy all the way down to the doddle.

This blend does not have a particular way it needs to be prepared and smoked, it seems to be rather forgiving. I have found the nuttiness of an oil cured pipe is the perfect complement to the blend, I've dedicated my Ashton Pebble Canadian to it -a sublime pairing if you ask me. The prestinely fanned presentation of the "medallions" separates this one from the rest. The outer VaPer portion is free of stems and imperfections compactly twisted and sliced into immaculate coins. Always moist out of the tin, I take two coins, separate the cavendish, then rub out the outer portion of the coin, then finely grind the Cavendish between my fingers -evenly spreading it over the rubbed out pile. If it's a fresh tin I'd let it dry for 20-30 minutes after rubbing out.

Overall, Davidoff Flake Medallions will always have a place in my heart (and my weekly rotation). Yes there are many more affordable, stronger equivalents -none compare. It is almost always available, no rumors of Orlik ceasing to blend FM for Davidoff, (knock on wood). If you haven't tried it, try it. You just might like it as much as I do.

Pipe Used: Ashton Pebble Grain Canadian

Purchased From: Iwan Ries & Co.

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye LBF, Comoy's cask no. 7, Escudo, Macbaren DarkTwist, Dunhill DNR.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (40)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I am a long-time english blend smoker, as you can tell from reading my other reviews. I do smoke other types of blends from time to time and use them in microblending. This is what happened with Flake Medallions. I had four or five tins acquired in a large buy from another reviewer and decided to open one up. I had previously smoked and blended with Escudo and had heard that Flake Medallions was similar but different. Boy, am I glad I opened this tin - it is, simply put, one of the best non-english blends I have ever smoked in my fifty-plus years of smoking a pipe!

The tin appearance is like Escudo or Deluxe Navy Rolls, but with one difference - the dime-sized black cavendish core in each disk. I found the tin aroma to be similar to the other two blends, but the smoking aroma was noticeably different. More soft and rounded; I attributed this to the black cavendish. The bowl started out a little spicey - not bitey, just spicey, and very similar to Escudo. This only lasted for about the top quarter of the bowl and then this blend's magic began. The smoke became very toasty and mellow and exceedingly satisfying. This quality lasted all the way through the remainder of the bowl - just wonderful. Subsequently, I made some small blend batches with Flake Medallions and various english blends I am smoking and they all were good. The best batch blend was one-half Germain King Charles Mixture and one-half Flake Medallions.

I whole-heartedly recommend Flake Medallions to every pipe smoker and give it a strong four star rating.

Pipe Used: Ashton ELX Billiard

Age When Smoked: one year old

Purchased From: another smoker/reviewer

Similar Blends: escudo and deluxe navy rolls - 6/23/14: since writing this review I have smoked Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake and it is exceedingly similar to Flake Medallions in both form and taste...

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

This blend is very nice. No matter what anybody says, there is still magnetism to beautiful presentation. The tin on this blend is so classy, and the tobacco inside is so refined and well displayed. Even the shape and layout in the tin screams luxury.

All the eye candy aspects aside this is really good stuff. Looks exactly like PS Luxury Bulls eye Flake and Escudo, but in my opinion comes out the top of of its class within these ranks. The taste is of bright zesty notes, and the slower you smoke it, and the more attention you pay to it, the more flavors you can evoke. I do not know if the black cavendish really makes much of an impact of flavor or not, it may be more of a visual thing, and also possibly some placebo effect. It is possible just knowing it is there makes you think sweet note. I feel the sweet notes in the blend are found in other Virginia blends where no black cavendish is present.

The one downside of this blend is the price. Let's just say it sure aint cheap. Although the flavors are better than the PS Luxury Bulls eye Flake, the value of the latter helps it to stay in contention.

This is a very nice blend and I highly recommend it.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (52)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Ridiculously good tobacco, if VA/PER is your thing, you really owe it to yourself to try it at least once. Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls are similar in appearance, with the exception of the delicious cavendished center of the Davidoff, but the similarity ends there. Where DNR comes out as as a bit vinegary, bitey and lacking in body, this is beautifully full and round in taste, also a bit sweeter than I expected, but not so much that I think it would deter anyone. Decent amount of nicotine, too, which is never a bad thing. Very pleasant room note that lingers on for a good amount of time.

With the risk of sounding like a Davidoff salesman, this is simply too good to let it pass you by.

4/4.

The VaPer part of this mixture reminds me more of the Dunhill Navy Rolls than it does Escudo: naturally sweet and earthy dark Virginias with a fig and raisin spice from the perique. The unsweetened black cavendish adds its own brand sweetness, kind of fruity without that vanilla flavor. Due to its presentation, you can crumble the coins into the bowl in such a way as to get a changing flavor taste as you smoke a bowl. Or if you're adventurous, you can fix it so the black cavendish and the VaPer parts are segregated in their own sections in the bowl. I'd rather not do that myself, but the point is that you can play around with this anyway you wish, and it'll taste good no matter how the flavor may vary. Mixed as intended, it's a wonderful smoke that pleases every time.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The bee's knees.

Rich and luscious, both in flavour and aroma. The burn is slow and steady. What's not to like, I ask you?

Packing is easy: fold each medallion twice, tease slightly into a rounded packet, and insert lightly into the bowl. Repeat until full. Gently even off the top and light.

The draw should be effortless, with room for the tobacco to expand. A medium bowl requires about one and a half to two medallions. It smoulders away forever, so this pricey tobacco gives good value.

For an even better deal, try the Luxury Bullseye Flake which seems to be identical. However the Davidoff tin is definitely upmarket and draws admiring glances. Especially the posh arrangement of the tin's contents.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)

This flake is quite a bit similar to Stokkebye's Bullseye with one difference. It is better, IMO. Davidoff's Flake Medallion seems to be everything Bullseye is only taken up a notch. It's just a bit sweeter, in taste and aroma. It's tin aroma reminds me of Peterson's Irish Oak. Like a sweet sherry wine. Now, is it worth paying the much higher price for a tin of Flake Medallion as apposed to the less expensive bulk Bullseye? At the moment, yes. Being that I can't seem to get my hands on any Bullseye Flake, I have no problem picking up a tin or two of this very fine tobacco. It's that good. Once Orlik gets on the ball with the Bullseye, I will cellar a couple tins of the Davidoff and go back to Stokkebye. As for Flake Medallion, it is a wonderful Va/Per that I highly recommend if flakes are your thing. Smoking this stuff reminds me of how glad I am to have picked up the briar! It is so good. I doubt this review helps much, but I just had to say something about this delicious tobacco. Happy puffing.

Galathorn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Galathorn (5)

These little coins are in my opinion "Smoking hapiness in a medallion"

The scent that arrives at your nose when you open the tin is pleasant although there is no casing/topping in this blend.

Personally, I rub out the Va/Per around the medallion, then I break the cavendish core into 5-6 bits and then I mix them thoroughly. The result? An excellent smoking experience. Sometimes you get the strength of the Va/Per and sometimes the sweetness of the cavendish... The taste is full and nice, it fills your taste buds...

Definetely an excellent blend.

D.M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D.M. (8)

This is just a superb Virginia, Perique tobacco. The tobacco is quality stuff. The small Cavendish center smoothes it out, without taking away the nice Perique spiciness. This smokes great rubbed out, but also just folded up and stuffed in the pipe, which is the way I'm preferring it.

The first part of the bowl is nutty, with a nice Perique spice. This holds through the middle of the bowl with the Virginia sweetness starting to come through. The end of the bowl is full of Virginia sweetness, Perique spice and has a good nicotine hit. A great finish that just makes you feel good about having smoked it. I like this stuff a lot.

I'm going to have to ration this stuff, because it isn't cheap and it's a great smoke.

PersianBaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PersianBaccy (13)

If your palate can't detect the beautiful nuances of this blend and you need a harsh blend to feel something in your mouth, don't bother reviewing this one and don't mark it as a beginner tobacco ,go smoke your Escudo. This blend is a masterpiece , it is pleasantly mild and tasty at the same time and with enough nicotine , making this possible is hard.

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I have smoked several bowls in a meerschaum that I usually reserve for full english blends. I didn't rub it out, just took a medallion, rolled it and stuffed it in. Works out just great for a 7/8's bowl 1 1/2" deep. No tongue bite, which is new for me with a virgina/cavendish blend. Oldest son quit cigarettes and I've got him going on a couple of well broken-in corncobs. Will introduce him to Flake Medallions this weekend.

gourmet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gourmet (13)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As opening the tin, I was impressed by its wonderful appearance, pure golden viriginas with a black bulls eye (Cavendish) in the middle - let it dry a little to experience it at its best.

Than simply fold the medaillons twice and put it in your pipe, one after another, depending of the size of the pipe, from one piece up to two and a half pieces, are possible in my different pipes.

Easy to light, smokes absolutely dry and very cool, therefore very very gentle to your tongue, leaves your palate clean and keeps you wanting more and more, since it offers such nices nuances which only top leave quality can offer.

A real round tabacco, all details (Virginias, Perique and a touch of Cavendish) harmonize wonderfully in this composition, and leave a nice long finish, just like drinking a ripe Bordeaux, only a little bit cheaper.

This is the best tabcco in my bar, worth more than every penny, you have to give it a try and you will see or taste.........

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Yea man! This is my first try at the Davidoff's line of blends and, I must say, a very nice surprise!

Like Newman pointed out, the roll cakes are a beauty to the eye, which is greeted by a spiral of about 2 in of golden, light brown, brown and dark brown colours, with a core of dark brown/black of about, yea, 1/2 in.

The tin aroma is of good, matured VAs and a discreet, subtle sweetness generated by the core of black cavendish that will increase slightly after a couple days. The Périque is there, but definitely more in the background.

A roll and a half, fully rubbed, with the core fully broken, will fill a medium size bowl. The lighting is easy, the taste of smooth, cool VAs with a sweet occasional background of the black Cavendish. As the bowl progresses, the Périque will manifest itself, but as a nice counterpart, increasing the strenght and adding some kick to the whole experience.

The end is a bit more stronger, with a bit more regularity from Mr Louisiana, which will put the Black cavendish in the background, but still there.

For me, if the experience of the two other tins that I bought remain the same, this bakkie will be gloriously crowned to the status of the all- day smoke, which is to say a lot.

I love this tobacco, it's smooth, just a tiny sweet from the black cavendish and kicky from the Périque. A fascinating combination and certainly a never boring, about to become daily smoke. And a very high quality tobacco from Davidoff.

I highly recommend this tobacco and any pipe smoker reading this review should try it, it is well worth the try and cheaper in prize than the american blends like Cornell & Diehl or G.L Pease.

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (11)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought when encouraged by reviews here. First impression on opening tin was that the aroma was reasonably earthy and musky but not overpowering. I would like to say that "I packed two slices into the pipe by folding", but in reality it was more like "I stuffed two folded slices in". Expected to have problems with starting it and keeping it lit, as it appeared a little moist straight out of tin but I was wrong. Needed just two charring lights and took off, in a tightly packed pipe. The flavour is subtle and offered no bite, burning rather coolly. As a novice to perique I found it really pleasant, slightly peppery, and not overwhelming. Virginia predominates, with a solid cavendish undertone. Fine white ash, packs well on progress, does not affect the remaining tobacco and burns happily. What I did not realise was that it packed a wallop of nicotine despite mildness of flavour, and I almost ended up nauseous when puffing away ever so carelessly. I finished the bowl the next day, relit nicely and not bitter or ashy, and yet with the same sucker-punch of a nicotine hit to the head. It is as a final note that I will add the presentation in the tin was charming but would not make me buy it - however, the quality of this subtle, elegant smoke is a reason good enough to buy it again and keep it in the rotation, as long as the high nicotine is treated with respect. Together with the much milder "Red Mixture" this is a fine example from the Davidoff stable.

Pipe Used: Poul Winslow bulldog / rhodesian with 9mm filter

Age When Smoked: straight out of tin

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: first VaPer blend ever so unable to compare.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The best Davidoff mixture so far. Very natural tasting, tangy and cigarette like from the Virginias, slightly sweet from the Cavendish and lightly spicy with fig tones from the Perique. The medallions in the tin look more dangerous than they really are, it's a mild mixture, ideal for a beginner. What is interesting, is that you taste each of the ingredients without any hint of a casing, the only minus being the lack of a full bodied taste. It would have been the perfect roll with a stronger Virginia and some more Perique.

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)

I enjoy Davidoff's Flake Medallions every bit as much as Escudo. If you enjoy Escudo don't hesitate to give this one a try.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

While visiting Spain, I called Lman and told him I found this tobacco. My relationship with Davidoff blends is not so good. Though, he insisted and tried to convince me purchasing it. I got 2 tins for him and 1 for me. It is truly a shame because I should have bought it all for me. Once I opened the box and these fine cut round pieces appeared, filled with Virginia and Perique and a black Cavendish dot in the middle, I got frustrated again. Eventually once I was informed on the filling process and smoked the first bowl, I started cursing Lman for giving him the other 2 tins. The more I smoke this tobacco, the more I enjoy it. Pretty heavy, with all 3 ingredients balanced perfectly and without losing their taste as the bowl burns down. It lights easily, it burns slowly without heating up the bowl, especially if you smoke calmly, while the room note is…neutral and discrete.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Having smoked about four ozs. of Stokkebye Luxury Bull's Eye Flake and now a full tine of Davidoff FM, they are so very close in flavor and strength that I account for the slightly richer flavor in FM to tinning and more aging.

A nice gift to give and get, but I'd probably buy the bulk PS and age it in jars for the same effect.

I am going to bump the flavor rating to "medium" from the "mild-medium" I gave PS LBEF for the reason giving above.

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco Davidoff's best..Great presentation and easy to pack took a medallion, rolled it than its ready...

The tin is dry good for me...I dont like too much spicey taste, but this one perique like a touch...Leaf quality is very good...Nicotine level is good...

For 2-3monts 1 tin enough for me...

TioPaulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TioPaulus (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Maybe the best tobacco easily found in Brazil, though pricey, worthy of trying it. The smoke feels just weightless and smooth, very very pleasant and makes you feel like smoking it all day long.

Besides, it gets extra points from me, since i believe smoking pipe is way more them just burning tobacco... everything about it counts, and Flake Medallions is perfect from beginning to the end, the can is pretty, the smell is beautiful, the medallions itself are like small jewels... makes the whole smoking better.

goes really well in the cold weather, with a cop of earl gray tea.

Tudval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tudval (18)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

Very strong nicotine and perique, like smoking hot peppers. I could only take 3-4 puffs, as I usually smoke milder english blends. I cannot recommend it for those new to perique blends, they really seem to have a niche, as shown by the few, but generally good reviews. However, one should try to sample it before paying for a tin (In Canada it goes for $40US !!).

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

Just had two bowls so far & love it. Other reviews do it justice

26 March 2009 - still think this is great tobacco & ordered more

22 May 2009 Update: I'm tightening up on my ratings and only give 4 stars to my top 5 blends that are in my core rotation of tobaccos. Those at this date are Escudo, Penzance, University Flake, Churchill & still deciding what the 5th will be.

I now rate this as a very solid 3.5

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Royalty apart, Flake Medallions is the most `masculine` of Davidoff tobaccos that I have smoked. It has the usual Davidoff virtues of impeccable production, high quality leaf and pleasing presentation. Moisture level straight from the tin is perfect, and the burn quality excellent - it smokes coola nd dry without the necessity of frequent relights.

To me the medallions poured out their taste and flavour most when packed somewhat densely, without rubbing out. Rubbed out, the smoke became a bit airy. The taste is nearer the Escudo or the McQuaid Square Cut profile rather than the Dunbar or Deluxe Navy Flake or Dark Twist variety. The taste is Virginia, with the perique providing a faint tingle, with the subtlest of hints of its presence. I do not know what the core of cavendish adds, as for some reason I have not been able to taste it. The room note is just barely noticeable and is not likely to cause strong reactions.

It is almost four star stuff, but not quite: you only have to taste Dunbar to see why not.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (26)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this bc it said it had perique in it, and cav which was new idea to me at the time. Also, it was the only pipe tobacco in the store that wasn't intended for rolling tubes.

I found it to be kinda flat. It had all the normal characteristics of a va/per, just not what I wanted I think. Good tin presentation, and it burned nice and mellow though. May be good for a beginner, but there is more flavorful twist va/pers out there.

Pipe Used: MM cobs, Grabows

Age When Smoked: Fresh maybe

This is a nice tasting blend. I really like the combination of the Virginias and the Black Cav. It's fruity, earthy, toasty, and sweet. Very nice. The Perique is very lightly applied and doesn't really show itself until about the 3/4 mark giving a tart spiciness to the finish. I prefer VaPers with more Perique, but the lesser amount fits well here because the Va/Blk Cav combo tastes so good. It sets the table for when the Perique finally shows up and creates a more complex finish.

Medium in body and flavor. Needs a little drying time. A really nice smoke.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried a tin of this a while back when I first got to town. I am still getting used to the difference in pricing of tobacco tins here in Malaysia. This is considered a premium tobacco here and as such is 3 times more expensive as most other tobaccos. Which is the main reason I will not be buying any more whilst I am here, I'll wait till I get back to the US to get a tin or two. On a side note, the tobacco is nicely tinned and is an almost perfect moisture level for me. It smokes well and keeps lit quite easily. All around a very pleasant smoke for me. Recommended.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)

I resisted posting this review for a long time, but here it goes:

This is Luxury Bullseye Flake. Which is great. Just tinned, branded, and more expensive. Possibly benefits from some tin-aging. And the tin helps the presenation, coins stay more tightly rolled, etc. But it's the same blend, made at the same factory, on the same equipment, with the same tobaccos.

That said, a world-class blend. A must-try for both VaPer and straight Virginia smokers.

But it's still LBF.

(Flame suit on)

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

Very nice to smoke as well as room note my wife enjoyed the aroma.Very nice presentation in the tin.

Pontificating Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pontificating Piper (10)

Decidedly different. I do not appreciate aromatics. But this, with it's flake cut Virginia, Perique and Black cavendish core, certainly makes for an enjoyable smoke. It does not bite as you'd expect, but I've derived the most pleasure from smoking this in a filtered Churchwarden...

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but after trying this blend in differing pipes with varying methods of bowl packing it continues to come up as a straight Va.

Presentation is classic Dunhill, it's a present, and as always a small joy to open. The baccy is formed well, my tin was aged a year and nearly perfect moisture content.

My concern was in that I expected some input from the cavendish, maybe a small voicing from the Perique-it wasn't there. It was Dunhill flake rolled into medallions with the slightest softening of flavor. That's not a bad thing, btw, it's just that it isn't marketed as such.

I have a tin of Escudo that I'll pop after this is finished, and even if showed itself to be even in taste, it would have a much improved price-point. It's a novelty at best, I won't be buying again.

Bingobaron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bingobaron (5)

Take the little black cavendish disk from the middle, fill your pipe half way and then crumble the disc onto your fill and enjoy. Quite beautiful in every sense. You know you are onto a winner when you open the tin. Refined, sweet, yet exotic. This stuff is legendary and will be difficult to beat when it comes to creating the perfect combination. Hats off to this one. Truly delicious.

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a tobacco out of the clone comprising Orlik Bull's Eye Flake, Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake and Davidoff Flake Medallions. I tried them all, and they are all the same, only difference is price and country of availability Excellent VAPer, with a core of Cavendish. Not as bold as Escudo or Dunhill DLNR would be (w/o the cavendish core), but more “subtle”. A treat which has earned its own pipe, and showing its full performance after a couple of bowls.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)

This is an excellent tobacco! I guess it depends on how you like perique, but for me the perique is like pepper, and this blend has got the right quantity of it. Cavendish is in the background, virginia dominates. Result is really a wonderful combination, and the good thing is that the medallions are easy to plug in the bowl, and they light up wonderfully with no need to set the fire on again and again as it happens with SG for example. The content is just "ready to smoke". For me this is top quality.

This and Dunhill's Navy Rolls are a must have for VaPer lovers.

ROTHNH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROTHNH (11)

Presentation is absolutely top shelf. Cracking this year-old tin revealed flawless thin and colorful 1.5 inch coins with a half-inch black cavendish center. Moisture content was ideal and one crumbled coin filled my Peterson Meerschaum pot. Char and light was fine. The smoke was cool and even, the excellent blend provided perfect just the right nuances of Perique for my liking and the black cavendish added a bit of sweetness to the familiar flavor of superior quality Virginia leaf. Many compare this to Escudo Navy Flake, but for me, the ENF and this DFM are brothers from a different mother -- I enjoy both, but the DFM is much more refined, smoother and milder. Others compare this DFM to Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake and while there are similar (and I hear both are blended by Orlik), Stokkebye's LBF seemed a bit sweeter and while fine tobacco, a peg down IMO. That said, the LBF is available in bulk and for a lot less coin (excuse the pun). I like this DFM a lot and plan to keep some in stock, only the price keeps me from rating it 4 stars.

carolina kid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
carolina kid (17)

If you know your Virginias and VaPers, here's the deal:

Sweet, fruity, ripe and mellow, but with complex undercurrents of cedar and spice. Well behaved, not too fussy. The black cavendish center adds a sweet, smooth bass note that adds a little surprise now and again as you make your way down the bowl.

Overall, this is very high quality tobacco and visually the "flake medallions" are cool as all get-out. Highly recommended (though Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake may be better and is certainly a better deal).

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Objective: Beautifully spun coins. Price was a little high. Coins were wet, but dried out well. Lit well and only needed a few relights. Moderate amount of smoke produced.

Subjective: A very mild tobacco, not unpleasant, but lacking in depth and oomph. Nice aroma from the tin, packed well, no problems there. I just prefer something stronger.

Joanmabruma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joanmabruma (4)

Really I find it very similar to the Escudo. The cabendish gives him a note rather mas elegantly, but it is not a characteristic of the tobacco. Very similar to the Escudo. Magician, they do not lose it.

Saludos.

juanmedusa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanmedusa (8)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have gone through a tin of moderately aged and new production escudo and a couple of the most common MAC b spun tobaccos. I prefer This by far. Elegant and delicious. Price aside the flavor beats escudo imho and the inclusion of cavendish doesn't detract even though I don't personally care for that element in the macb's. Will purchase this again and probably not the others. Cannot compare to the ps bullseye having never had that but this is now my one and only spun non rope. I recommend you try this one and see if it appeals to your taste as much as it did mine.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A classy blend, not very easy to find but deserving a look!

Style wise, it may be considered like a milder and smoother version of Escudo/Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls, as it resembles these two classics in taste, composition and looks (lovely big coins) but with a sweeter/creamier/ligher touch à-la-Mac Baren.

Burns well, packs well, and it's not as strong as the Escudo or the Dunhill. Compared to these two, it is less sour and more smooth, although absolutely NOT artificially sweetened.

A very pleasant tobacco, lacking only a bit in flavour intensity, but very refined and to be sipped coolly. I really can't find faults in it, and it's very tolerant of smoking technique: no bite, not bitterness, simply a superbly balanced tobacco. Sure, there are some more exciting Va/Per blends around (especially if you prefer Perique to be more present, which I don't always do), but this one is a solid choice!

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Beautiful presentation, rubs out easily, room note of nuts, toasted coconut, and flowers. Smooth and creamy, with no tongue bite. Decent nic kick. One of my favorites!

ScottishWildcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScottishWildcat (2)

Err... how should I put it? Maybe I smoked this tobacco the wrong way OR I am a bit too accustomed to latakia in all its shades, but after some tins of diverse latakia mixtures, the Flake Medallions just taste like cigarettes :/ A bit too expensive for my liking given my experience with this tobacco.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

enjoy this blend in a savinelli and and all i do is fold in half and give it a rub to loosen it up and place in my pipe to unlock its magic. this was my first flake and found it to be well balanced with out one type of tobacco trying to out do the other a good smoke for someone who wants to move from aromatics to smothing more refined

Ottani Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ottani (4)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok, I tried to pack this a dozen times in a variety of ways. Rubbing out, whole flake, folded, etc. No way to make it smokes right. And that is the mistery of the flake. Whatever... Definetly not for beginers.

Some other down grades. One word? Expensive, even more than usual for imported tins from Davidoff. Two words? Not worthy. Nor the taste, nor the fame, nor even for the original Cavendish and Perique.

I will hold that tin for some years and taste it again in the future. I hope I change my mind about it.

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)

A really great virginia/perique. FM has a wonderful tin aroma with highlites of muted raisiny fruit tangled within matured fully ripe virginias. Packs easily, burns effortlessly and produces a thick creamy smoke. I prefer this over escudo and dunhill's navy delux. It has that "special something" flavour that is very attracting to me.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Update: Downgrading a star as I'm finding this one a bit bland after nearly a whole tin.

Another pleasant surprise from Davidoff after really getting into Royalty. As mentioned many times here, bears comparison with Dunhill DNR, but with the soothing and smoothing additon of black cav. Very nicely presented discs, with obvious sizable center of the BC, soft and pliable, foldable, stuffable, a really nice, clean vaper with the edges taken off.

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Oh yes! This one comes well presented, and there are no disappointments. It looks and smells great in the tin, it rubs out easily, packs, lights and burns easily, and is a great smoke all around. Room note is also very good. Even though it is very expensive where I live, this one might become a favourite.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

A high quality smoke, love it!

Just got a few more tins of this for my bday from the SO, NICE! So I cracked open a new tin to baptise a new Ser Jacopo Rowlette Poker, I must say again Davidoff FM is FANTASTIC, I rub out for a smoother smoke, but runs hot so you may just want to fold/stuff a coin or two depending on size of bowl and off you go, rich and flavorful smoke.

I love bap'in new pipes, it forces me to smoke with the proper method of slow sips, which in turn gives you the best and most flavors with VAs for not running them too hot, plus you build a nice cake...I guess an excuse for myself to buy more pipes ;-) heheh-hahaha

ENJOY this one, grab a few dozen tins, MMM-mmm-MMM

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Excellent smoke, but I can't make up my mind between this one and Dunhill Navy Rolls. FM is 30% more expensive than DNR and that is too great a difference to ignore, especially as DNR is on the expensive side itself here in the UK.

I find that in FM the virginia is more prominent whereas the balance of virginia to perique in DNR is more balanced - no one tobacco takes precedence - they seem to compliment each other better. FM is a flavourful smoke and there is no doubt that the cavendish comes through the smoke and over time I feel it makes the smoke a little bland and boring, unlike DNR. I suspect that the small amount of cavendish detracts from the smoke for me.

Overall, it is still a very fine smoke and I will rotate, but after two tins I'm looking forward to opening another tin of DNV.

For VA/Per lovers though - a must.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)

I love escudo, but I have to say I love this one too. The black cavendish, really smooths out the virginia,I Highly enjoyed!

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

after a few bowls of this one, i find the flavored cavendish too flavored. the cavendish gives it too much fruityness. i simply tired of it. I then removed the flavored cavendish and enjoyed this smoke much better.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)

High quality VaPer, it is just great. VaPers are my favourite blends, I've smoked a few and I have to say this is the best of them all.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

An interesting offering from Davidoff.

A nice, pure aroma of aged VAs. The nicotine can be a bit oin the strong side at times.

I really enjoy it.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Smells like ketch-up spirit!!

And I LOVE it! No, actually I want to hug it and never let go... but I had to.. the tin finished so quick, I couldn't see it coming to an end :( now got to find a new tin ASAP! Ah and some french fries and a napkin. Expensive mexpensive, it's YUM!

Seriously!

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)

A good VAP/PER of the medallion style...though I still find ESCUDO a bit stronger, spicier, and more flavorful. This is a tasty tobacco, but just a step under.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

update may 2011: Final verdict -for the time being..- I prefer FM outside and DNR in my 'cave'

This is one of the first tobacco's I bought when I started pipe smoking again last November after a lapse of 30 years. I really liked it straight away, but during the winter I tended to smoke more Oriental and Latakia blends. I surmised that such was my preference in taste. Now warmer weather is coming backish in Holland, I am surprised that I turn more and more often to VaPers and gladly rediscovered my opened tin of Flake Medallions. Apparently my taste in tobacco's is a seasonal thing, although I never experienced seasonal changes of choice in my cigarette smoking days.

Flake Medallions give of a subtle, but complex and endearing taste, very pure and slightly (pleasantly) sweet.

Roomnote is great and it burns easily, both fully rubbed out as well as folded and stuffed. It stays cool and I experienced no tonguebite with this absolutely great tobacco.

The heading "flavoring" still confuses me but I decided that since cavendish is supposed to be sweet as a result of fermentation, I do not rate a sweetish tobacco containing cavendish as flavored unless I detect an added artificial flavor...

A must try before you die :)

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is an interesting tobacco in the roll cake format.

It burns well and has the grassy taste of VA with the occasional pepper note of the good quality Perique. The sporadical sweetness of the Black Cavendish completes the picture.

An overall satisfying blend was a good level of nicotine.

PHOBOS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PHOBOS (9)

Great Davidoff blend, in one word: essential. A delicious VA/PER tobacco with Cavendish. A continuos pleasure. Try it and enjoy it. Highly recommended.

Archangel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel (22)

Despite a retail price that I would qualify as retarded (it went from 7.25$, 7.50$ two years ago to now over 11.25$ today for a 50g tin), this roll cake tobacco is still worth the try.

This is mainly a VA tobacco with a slight touch of Périque for interest, completed with a core of black Cavendish. The tin aroma unveils some grasiness and sweetness.

This remains a smooth and rather mild smoke that is obviously of very high quality. The aromatic fan tempted to venture into natural or English mixtures would have an interest in starting with this tobacco. The beginner wanting to upgrade his capacities from mild tobacco would also enjoy this tobacco.

I will not rebuy if it stays at this price but will definitively miss it.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

My favorite Davidoff blend, on par with Escudo and much sweeter than Luxury Bulls Eye, it has a wonderful lemonade/sparkling wine taste to it. Solid stuff for any VA flake lover.

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

My first Virginia?perique blend. Bought a 50g tin at my local tobacconist in Belgium for 12.20 Euros. The very high price is the only negative thing about this tobacco.

The tin says made in the EU. Upon opening I saw nicely stacked circular medallionswith a yellow and brown mottled hue and the black core. The tin aroma was very strong and sweet-sour, like a sweet vinegar. Th emoisture content was just right.

I smoked the medallions folded, but I now prefer to rub them out completely. Rubbed out the packing is very easy and it burns really cool and slow. It makes the softest light grey ash.

The taste is pleasant and clearly differs from plain Virginia, spicier. I notice little from the black Cavandish core, which could be omitted in my opinion.

An excellent, luxurious blend that is, unfortunately, highly priced.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Fresh tin note was that of quality tobacco with a slightly sweet topping aroma which I cannot identify. The topping is minimal & does not negate the tobacco flavor. It expands well & has a good burn rate. These silver dollar-sized, twist flakes possess a hard, dark Cavendish core which requires a little extra work to break up & creates an added dimension of flavor. A very nice VA/Per/Cav blend, if you will. Moisture content was minimal...just about right. It is very smooth, weightless & presented a subtle sweetness at about the halfway point which I thoroughly enjoyed.

FM didn't ring my bell like Three Nuns or Escudo, but would be a satisfactory substitute that I could easily adapt to. Vitamin N content is satisfactory...about medium to strong, that seems to sneak up on you due to its mild smoking characteristic. I don't care for mouth-burning Latakia blends or the bitterness of straight Burley. That may just be a mouth chemistry thing, but we are all different, aren't we? For me, this blend is easy on the tongue & palate. I concur with other reviewers in that this blend is very similar to PS Bullseye Flakes & doubt that I could discern the difference in a blind taste test.

If you like very smooth & mild smoking VA/Pers with a touch of Cavendish & a subtle hint of sweetness, this blend may be to your liking. I am partial to VA/Pers & FM is a good choice. Certainly worth a try if you don't mind parting with a little extra $$. Some will love the flavor...some will not like it well enough to rate it four stars and I fall into the latter category. Many a good blend falls short of being highly reccommended due to varying differences in smoker's taste receptors. This is good stuff, but I will have to downgrade it one simply because the flavor did not "ring my bell." Therefore, IMHO, Davidoff's Flake Medallions merits three s**s!!

CD Primal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CD Primal (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am nearing the end of my first tin of this. I have to say that my initial impression of the blend was not terribly high. Not negative in any way, but it took a few smokes to appreciate. It is a very fine tobacco and the presentation is excellent with a good tin aroma and attractive coin cut flakes. Initial flavor was kind of flat and it did not provide the thick mouth filling smoke I have experienced in some other VA blends. As I have worked my way through the tin I have warmed to it considerably and enjoy the more subtle nuances of the blend. I have tried the fold and stuff method on this and it lights and burns well enough, but rubbed out properly it really comes to life, burning very evenly with few relights. The major shortcoming of the blend is of course the price. Overall, well executed VA/PER flake.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very well matured virginia, with a buttery unsweetened cavendish and a good amount of perique. Very well rounded, smooth, tastefull, easy on the tongue and with good burning qualities. A high class pipe tobacco, highly reccomended.

Morgoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morgoth (22)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent offering from Davidoff. Similarities to the current Escudo offering should not be made, as I (in the minority) find the A.C. Petersen offering quite harsh and having no endearing quality at all.

These medallions are not overly sweet, and possess a pleasantly detectable nuance of Perique. The Cavendish adds a dimension that contributes to the body of this tobacco. To suggest that this blend is only fit for beginners is absurd and unwarranted.

Highly recommended.

A companion infusion: pints of Newcastle Brown Ale.

UPDATE: 05/16/10 Think I'll do a 180 here...eat my words...and agree 100% with Eulenburg.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I am comparing this to PS Bullseye as I have been smoking both lately and they are very similiar. They are both a VA/Perique twist with a core of black cavendish. The Davidoff version has a much sweeter VA/Per base and it taste just the way it should, sweet with a tang to the flavor. But the black cavendish core never comes out to play and you would never know it's there. The Birdseye black cavendish not only comes out but it adds a very sweet nice flavor to it. But, this Davidoff blend has many merits of it's own. First off, right from the git go it bursts with the sweet, creamy, tangy flavor that smeels good in the room as you smoke it. It has a very pungent pouch aroma, strong and peaty. It is a medium brown color looking like spun hay with the dark core. It is a bit too moist in the tin, it needs to dry out quite a bit before smoking it. Once dry enough, it breaks up nicely and is easy to load into the pipe. It lights quite well and stays lit. It remained consistant all the way to the bottom leaving a powdery fine ash and no moisture or dottle in the bottom of the pipe. It is quite nice, I think I like the PS Birdseye a bit better but I would gladly smoke this anytime.

Ismokeadapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ismokeadapipe (21)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the baggie that was given to me almost 8 months ago, I was suprised to find this baccy ready to go. Age helped this particular blend greatly. It was in the usualy medallion shape and crumbled easily. It provided a good smoke, and great taste. I don't think I would go out and purchase this blend, but if it was given to me...as it was, I would gladly accept it.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I purchased these to compare to Escudo, my current favorite disk tobacco- But its more like PS Bullseye. In fact, on visual, there is no difference. Scent and taste wise, Bullseye is much sweeter and better tasting. This takes a bit of drying out of the tin. It packs well, lights well, but the taste is a bit flat, and the Black Cav center is bland. Nothing really exciting here. Go with Bullseye IMHO.

hgm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hgm (14)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is simply a first class tobacco. you get what you pay for, The only downside is it's high price which is logical due to the outstanding quality.

Not too peppery or harsh like Escudo, it can be smoked all day with no problem.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)

Powerful tobacco, intriguing presentation (medallions with complex colouring-black centre and blondening circles), pungent and complex aromas pre-smoke. (leather, smoke, earth, nuts).

Upon burning one gets cigar-like sensation with the virginias at times embracing the palate and the perique adding a bitter spicy pepperiness. The perique determines this blend quite strongly in my view. It is uncertain as to what the cavendish adds (some coolness?) but I suppose its absence would alter the blend altogether.

Not in any case an all day smoke, it overpowers one's palate and requires mouth-rest after smoking it. Tremendously expensive in the Greek market.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Very nice sweet virginia taste with spicy perique. Top vaper, I doubt if the cavendish really adds anything. While there's no question that this really is a first class smoke (imo), I still wonder if this tobacco is not the same als Luxury Bulls Eye flake of Peter Stokkebye. Blind tasting makes me tend to beleive that the tobacco's are identical. LBE is twice as cheap, compared to FM. On a German website I read that LBE and FM both are made by Orlic and that they are identical. Does someone know for sure?

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

Nice presentation in the tin, round nicely packed flakes with golden and black flecks; the scent is refined and sweet. The rounds were a bit too moist in the tin so I dried them out. I had bought a 50 gram tin as part of my paranoid tobacco buying spree before the new federal tax and had been planning on aging this tin for a while. I wish I had, it was a bit disappointing. From the reviews on this site I was expecting something special, if I hadn?t had expectations I probably would have given another star, maybe. It took three rounds rubbed out (to help with drying) to fill an Ashton X Canadian which is fairly small, like a Dunhill group three or four. The first half of the bowl was almost flavorless, even with some tamping and enthusiastic puffing. The second half some sweetness and a touch of pepper kicked in, and the last quarter was very flavorful and left a good aftertaste. If I judged it just by the last quarter I?d say this was better than Escudo (which seems the comparison of choice here) but my experience with escudo is that it?s consistent throughout, no burst of great flavor but no dull flavorlessness either. I want to give it four stars but in the price range it competes more with things like Reiners Long Golden flake (except there?s no Cavendish in LGF but the Cavendish in flake medallions doesn?t really add much anyhow) IMHO flake medallions is not in the same league, though I really think it would benefit from aging. I had meant o age it. I don?t mean to suggest this is marginal at all, I just wanted it to be a four star badly and I can?t in good conscious give it four stars. As always this is a first impression, maybe when it?s had more time to dry out I?ll appreciate it more, it?s not like I feel ripped off or anything, it?s a quality blend with a refined presentation.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a delicious Va/Per with Cavendish, the tobacco quality and the presentation is truly outstanding, the smoke tastes deep and smooth Virginia, not much spicy however with an incredible deepness, complexity and variation, not strong in nicotine but full in flavor, this one and Escudo N.D. are definitely the best Va/Per spun cacks out there, truly top quality Virginia! Exceptional Blend, Highly Recommended! Give it a try!

Bad Good = Excellent * Exceptional

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

Every positive comment on Flake Medallions herein posted can be accepted at face value. Without doubt, one of the finest tobaccos of its type currently available.

However...at five times the price of Luxury Bullseye Flake, I can find no justification for its purchase. The quality, cut, and flavor are so similar that I doubt nine in ten smokers would be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

I'm not adverse to purchasing expensive tobaccos. In fact, virtually all of the tobaccos I do smoke are "luxury" blends.

When I purchased a tin of Flake Medallions, I expected to be blown away given all that has been said. The only thing blown away was my hard earned dollars that could have been better spent.

For those who have access to unlimited funds, add three stars.

drmeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drmeer (20)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Mine was a little bitey right out of the tin, perhaps some drying will improve this. Overall, a well packaged quality tobacco.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Flake Medallions is a high quality VaPer with mostly lemon Virginias and its share of Perique. Somewhere I've read someone comparing it to PS Bullseye Flake, but all they have in common is the looks: FM is tastier, stronger and it's got a lot more Perique than BF.

In my VaPer ranking, this is a couple of steps below Escudo and above Bullseye Flake. Give it a try and decide for yourself.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

A very nice change of pace from my usual favorites, both on the flavor and the presentation of the tobacco in disk form.

I have not tried another offering from Davidoff yet, but this one offers genuine VA taste combined with the occasional peppery spiciness of the Perique, which gives this mixture strenght. Once in a blue moon, the sweetnees of the black CA emerges.

High quality, nice disks, good smoke. Recommended.

ringo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ringo (9)
Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

This bakie is something else...From the moment you open the tin you realise that you will enjoy a truly natural smoking experience and this is one of my great reasons for switching from cigarettes to pipes. I really enjoy it because is strong, so I get some nicotine and the taste is sweet (but not too sweet) due to the black Cavendish, perique appears more and more as you progress and the Virginia serves as the base. The quality is high the taste (very nice) is that of tobacco with no artificial, it does not bite and it smokes cool and dry. It leaves me with a dry mouth which is something I really like and generally this tobacco fulfils my expectations. I can smoke it for two hours once in a while and never feeling hungry for nicotine.

I highly recommend this bakie to everyone who wants a natural smoking experience with some nicotine

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My 50 gram tin was marked Davidoff and presented nicely formed disks ~ 2"D with a 1/2" core of the Black Cavendish that were a beauty to behold. Moisture content and packing were fine and the burn rate and lack of relights appreciated. I thought both the Perique and Black Cavendish were way in the background and found this blend to be slightly harsher than Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake which appears very similar in design. Since that tobacco is available in bulk @ lower unit cost and I enjoyed it more, that remains my pick.