A blend of the finest Virginias & Burleys. This medium flake has an overall top-note flavour of English Rose and Geranium.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringFloral Essences, Other / Misc
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable

3.1
DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (92)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

Holy Fairy God Mother of Rose essence! This stuff is really, really good. I highly doubt that there is any other tobacco out there that tastes and smells as unique as Grasmere Flake.

Grasmere is also very much an acquired taste and if you are the slightest bit put off by the Lakeland floral ambrosia (the subtle soapiness that comes through in Bob's Chocolate Flake, or Rum Flake), you may want to steer clear.

Grasmere is very well behaved, slightly honey-sweet, & quite floral. All of this is accomplished by Gawith & Hoggarth in the most organic, natural tasting way possible. In other words what you are tasting is not some curious chemical additive. Like the oil of clove applied to Bosun Cut Plug, Grasmere's topping is essence of rose and geranium, and it's applied liberally. The tobacco flavors & added essence taste seamless. The rose geranium scent is soft and supple, rounding out the burley edges and providing balance to some fairly strong tobacco. The flakes are beautiful and they do smell somewhat like Turkish Delight. I like to smoke this in the afternoon in a Country Gentleman cob pipe that I have reserved for scented Lakelands.

Grasmere Flake is very hard to find in the US. I was sent some to try by a fellow reviewer.

If you admire scented Lakelands (and obviously I do), this is one to pursue.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)

I believe that this is Gawith & Hoggarth’s response to Samuel Gawith’s Bracken Flake, but Grasmere Flake (GF ) is much more tastefully executed and easier to smoke. It's possible that GF may hold a certain appeal for those who enjoy F&T’s Cut Blended Plug, but for the “Tobacco Huggers Au Naturale” and the “Latakia Junkies” crowd, there is going to be nothing here to recommend.

This is all about flowers (but not perfume), primarily ROSES—you can taste rose petals and the smoke carries the aroma of roses. The flowers are not an overbearing theme, but you are always aware that they are there. This is not at all as distasteful as it may sound initially because the blend is composed of some pretty good tobaccos. There is a hint of sweetness from the Virginias and also the suggestion of some bitterness from the Burleys, so there is a kind of bittersweet interplay and back-and-forth. I want to hazard a guess that the ratio of Virginias to Burleys in GF is a close reversal of the ratio found in Ennerdale Flake (EF)--GF has more Virginia and EF has more Burley. GF is just slightly stronger and sweeter and EF is a bit more bitter and displays more from its essence properties.

A little effort is required to get GF to the proper moisture content as it seems to retain a bit more moisture than most G&H tobaccos in my experience. If it’s too moist it can prove extremely stubborn to keep lit.

Grasmere Flake is difficult for me to rate. The tobaccos are well-executed, but the flower essences can be a bit of a distraction. So, overall, a weak 3-stars.

Pipe Used: Egg-in-Hand Meerschaum

Generous sample from SouthBound below - several flakes, and almost enough to give me a good sense of this blend! :) Whenever I can't put my finger on a blend's essence, I find myself reduced to making comparisons. So here goes.

This is a fairly heavily scented blend, but less so than Ennerdale. The scent is different, and more akin to Kendal Flake with the rose and geranium. But where KF was softer, this one is bolder in overall flavor and nicotine. Shares more of a burley presence with Brown Flake but is better behaved and not as robust or youthful in taste. Much more flavor and body (and mouthfeel) than Glengarry or Bright CR but also with more scenting. Nicotine level is fairly high, as with most G&H flakes.

The most telling thing I can say is that while there are remarkable similarities across many of G&H flakes, they are all different. I have most of them in my rotation and I smoke them at different times for different reasons and with different outcomes in mind. If you like Kendal Flake and Ennerdale, meet their middle brother. If you like Brown Flake and Best Brown #2, ditto, but it's their more flamboyant middle brother with the scenting. This blend has hit my rotation. As with most of these types of blends, it is excellent... even if I can't really pinpoint what makes it so. Thanks, SouthBound, for the opportunity.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Something of an iron fist in a velvet glove this one, as despite all the dainty flowers it still delivers an ample slug of vitamin N, which is just what one would expect from this estimable blending house.

In the packet I encountered a very strong rose scent, despite several days in transit to me in non-airtight conditions. This rose essence was not so strong in the smoking but would probably still be considered powerful by folks who are coming to this style of weed for the first time. I found it to be both sweet and soapy, and it allowed me to identify the rose constituent of more complexly flavoured lakelands. A quarter of the way down the geranium becomes more prominent, and gradually that too recedes to create a gently floral miasma of flavours that mixes nicely with the tobaco.

A bit more burley than I usually like but not so much that I don't want to smoke it. In fact, it works very well with the particular floral flavours of this tobacco. Mostly, this is a very honest blend, in that it delivers pretty much exactly what you would expect given its description and the well known character of GH&Co flakes. However, there is also the occassional pleasant diversion into greater complexity, where for a few moments the whole becomes greater than the sum of its parts.

Reading the Turkish Delight comparisons I wasn't sure I was going to like this one (I can't stand Turkish Delight), but I have enjoyed working through my sample. For me, it doesn't quite match the appeal of Kendal Flake or Coniston Cut Plug but I am sure there is more than one lakeland lover out there for whom this will be 'the one'. Recommended.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I had to update this review as I've found the intense Rose scenting of this one to be just too much, too overpowering and the underlying taste isn't there for me either. Had me fooled and I reviewed it too quickly. However that doesn't mean that I do not recommend it to someone trying out some of the floral Lakeland flakes. I put it in the same group as Kendal, Rum, and possibly Bosun Cut Plug in terms of strength.

Similar Blends: Rum Flake, Kendal Flake, Ennerdale.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

While similar to the popular Ennerdale flake ,this has a more robust taste and nic kick.The burley in this adds some strength that I have come to appreciate from this manufacturer..It has a curious floral taste like floral gum sweets.(don't ask me what flower)..And yes it has a taste akin to that sugar powdered Turkish delite,but more like those clear yellow ones and not the pink ones(for those who have eaten the proper Turkish delight).I have bought also today some Ennerdale flake which I sampled first and this second,i prefer this basically.Burns ok,stays lit,no tongue bite.Although it smells sweet it tastes serious(natural neutral).Curiously spicy in a floral way combined with a bakery macaroon almondness and rice paper that is hard to describe,unless one say incense sticks.Kind of tangy on the tongue in a red Virginia way.Certainly smells more sociable than others.It wont replace condor but may well become a repurchase(it takes time for a tobacco to make its longterm impression with me).Seems to be perfect moisture/I bought mine loose 25g worth,dont know if this comes in a tin or not.I thought the ennerdale version was under powered but this is more on par with the strength of 'condor' which makes it a winner with me.

SouthBound Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SouthBound (10)

This is one of the easiest flakes I've ever smoked. The bulk package I received was the perfect moisture straight from the box. In fact, I rubbed a flake out, loaded it, and smoked it as I was putting the rest away. I'll preface with the caveat that I my rotation is dominated by Gawith Hoggarth blends, but I did not find this to have an overpowering soapiness. It was there, but it played a supporting role. I did get a strong sense of the rose and geranium. I like what they add. They impart a sort of sharpness or slightly sour taste and feel. The constituent tobaccos were the main players, and they were toasty and sweet and very high quality. My enthusiasm has settled somewhat since I first smoked it, but it has a prominent place in my weekly smoking rotation. I've spent several Saturdays smoking little else all day. If you're a Lakehead, you owe it to yourself to give this one a try. Highly recommended!

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Having sampled Glengarry and Ennerdale Flakes and rediscovered the quality Bosun Plug Cut, I ordered this one with high hopes. Not sure I quite got what I ordered.

On receiving the packet, the smell of bergamot and rosewater leaked out providing fond memories of Turkish Delight and Earl Grey tea, even when sealed. Upon opening though, this whiff became a little unsettlingly strong, if still nice. Packing and lighting were no particular problem, even for a flake. The initial smoke however, was spoiled by those flavours mentioned above, just way too strong and not really interacting with the tobacco underneath. Once these faded away, all flavour pretty much disappeared with nothing coming through from the tobacco itself. Sadly, this continued through the packet, it's not bad, it's just not that good. Me thinks dull is the word.

The kinsmen of this stuff and the initial whiff provide a bit of promise that is sadly unfulfilled, the pungeant aroma starts off too strong and then fades into the power-sappingly mundane. It's like going on a blind date to find your companion plastered in make up, you can't tell what she looks like under all that slap and she might be a perfectly charming lass, but you lose interest in her because there's absolutely no need for it. Sadly, this is a tobacco that should never have been turned up to eleven.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I just finished my first 1/2 pound and Grasmere Flake is very akin to Kendal Flake in scent and aroma, but less perfumed. The addition of Burley affords more natural tobacco flavor. Lights easy, burns cool and dry and delivers a consistant medium bodied smoke that developes throughout the bowl. Nice vitamin "N" content but never overbearing. A great choice for those who enjoy Lakeland style Virginia/Burley flakes.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

I bought 25 gm of Grasmere Flake in Keswick out of curiosity: it was one of the few Lakeland flakes I hadn't tried, and a friend of mine has smoked quite a lot of it and liked it. To my (rather undiscerning) palate, there isn't much difference between it and Ennerdale Flake. The casing is perhaps laid on a touch less heavy- handedly, but there's not much in it: Grasmere Flake has the same rosewater/Turkish delight/”soapy” flavouring – which, to my mind, spoils an otherwise high quality tobacco. But that's just me: I know some people enjoy this kind of thing, and if you like Ennerdale Flake, you'll like this; if you don't, you won't. On that basis, somewhat recommended. Apart from the casing, it's a well presented and well behaved flake; slow-burning, and it won't bite you unless you beg it to.

Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark v pliable flakes, with lighter colors interwoven, in the bag modest rose notes. Pre-lighting in the pipe, the rose scent/taste was certainly there (reminding me of various rose-flavored sweets). Smoking, the essense was a bit stronger than Glengarry Flake, but nowhere near the levels of some of the other GH scented tobaccos, probably between Glengarry and SG Kendall Cream Flake, maybe (for me) around the level of Louisiana Flake (which I also liked). The room note (well, car note) when I went to check was more of a straight darkish VA, with just a hint of rose that might have been my imagination. The N-level was strong, but not overwhelming.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Another high quality, robust but fragrant flake from G, H & co.

The added flavouring (which can be tasted as well as smelled) is, to me, like a good Turkish Delight (the rose essence). I do mean a good one though; the stuff you get dusted with icing sugar from a proper confectioners, not the cheap, chocolate coated stuff you get at a newsagent/petrol station/supermarket.

Other than that, it's just what you'd expect from this blender; high quality, flavoursome & reasonably strong

Edgy6gun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Edgy6gun (7)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

I have left a very similar review of Ennerdale. Both these blends had the same extremely overpowering, pipe-ruining flavoring strength. This one is just a different sent. WARNING! After smoking only one bowl, the flavoring is extremely strong in the pipe. I have tried cleaning with alcohol, reaming, even the "GL Pease activated charcoal oven" trick. Grasmere flavoring is still very prevalent a month later. The flavoring is what I would describe as very strongly scented bath salts or what my friend accurately calls, "old lady's house" (try it and see for yourself, it's true!). It is overwhelming and gives me a sour stomach after only a few puffs. I truly would like to know why they would ruin such a beautiful Virginia flake with this overpowering flavoring. After reading the positive reviews here, I honestly wonder if I got a goofed batch or something. It is truly unsmokable, in my opinion and my friend's opinion, due to the ridiculous amounts of scented flavorings added. I've smoked Virginas, Burleys, heavy Latakia blends, even the occasional guilty pleasure of super sweet aromatics. I never thought I would find a pipe tobacco that I truly could not smoke but Grasmere and Ennerdale are just that. You have been warned.

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (32)
Mild Medium Mild Unnoticeable

I know I shouldn't review a tobacco just by having one single bowl smoked, but here I am, reviewing it after just having tried it. Today, some really nice tobaccos came and since it's lent period and I limit myself to one pipe a day, I chose Grasmere Flake. I smelled it from the bag, and what hit me in the first place, was that strange smell of old people. Once, many years ago, things used to smell that way. Geranium rose essence, the soaps were made with. Geranium rose is the cheap substitute for rose oil, and was used once to perfume things quite a lot. Including the "rose lokum" (turkish delight). It just smell like grandma's house in the country many years ago. That brings a lot of dear memories. Childhood memories are so beautiful, not because something worth remembering happened, but because of your perception of the world. As a child, you like everything, even the "lakeland" type of smell. Grasmere is not as soapy or nearly as strong as Condor, more like floral dark if I may say so. VAs lack sweetness, Burley rounds everything and mutes every sharpness, everything is about Lakeland "old grandma" note which is wonderful by the way. I never knew Lakeland smell can have so many nuances, it's pretty amazing. Room note is almost undetectable. While Condor perfumes the whole house for a week after smoking it, this passed undetected by my wife. Was a bit moist for my taste, but I didn't have the patience to dry it to the point of perfect burn/taste balance, I just lit it, and although wet, it burns OK. I suppose when dried a bit will burn perfectly. I'm balkan/english (latakia) lover, I love also VAs or VA/Pers, I enjoy sweetness in the VA, but here I didn't find any. I love also Lakeland floral tobaccos, unlike danish aromatics, they taste naturally. Grasmere is somewhere there. Floral style perfumed that goes along with VA natural aroma, and mellowed by the Burley. I give it 3 stars just because of sweet innocent memories of grandma's house in the village that almost made me cry. Otherwise it would be 2 stars. I have 8 oz of it, will last for quite a while.

P.S. I have no idea why is this tobacco rated as "Strong" and "Full". I had totally different experience. It's mild.

Pipe Used: VA's dedicated canadian

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (56)
Medium Medium Full Tolerable

This is the third Va/Bur flake from GH I try and it is so far my 2nd favourite (I still have the Kendal Flake to try, and Ennerdale Flake is my favourite so far).

The smell of the flake is a bit odd, too rosy I felt. But from the first puff, the Virginias and Burleys blend superbly with the rosy/geraniumy taste.

Honestly, who needs black cavendish aromatics when you have GH and SG offering the best Lakeland tobaccos.