A skillful mixture of three aged Burley's - dark brown Burley from Kentucky, light Burley from Brazil, and white Burley from Malawi - Southeast Africa. A very natural blend with absolutely no additives or flavors - a true Burley blend.

Notes: Blender R.L. Will developed a unique toasting process to enhance the natural sweetness of this blend. No sugar has been added.

BrandSolani
Blended ByR.L. Will
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley
Strength
Taste

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Yes, Solani has come out with an elegant Burley Flake that far surpasses the best Edgeworth ever produced (IMO, of course). I have smoked this regularly over the last several months and will continue to do so.

The flakes are not large and rub out easily as the moisture content is not too heavy. The leaf burns cool, dry and slowly - which, I believe, contributes to the cool smoke. Unlike the cheaper Burley blends, this one does not get bitter near the bottom, and you'll be glad because each puff is a true delight.

You don't need to think too much about this blend as you smoke it. What you get with your first puff is what you'll get with the last; a smooth, semi-sweet Burley taste that is not heavy on the palate and leaves you wanting another bowl.

pipetype Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipetype (10)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Update: Still "Heaven on Earth.", the very best of the bunch for me.

Here are my cased and not so cased comparators (ranked):

-- Classic Samsun Grand Oriental (McClelland)

-- Balkan Sasieni or Balkan Supreme

-- Odyssey (Pease)

-- Galway Treasures of Ireland

-- Mixture 79

-- Black Velvet

On a scale of 10 being the bset, and 1 the least, only Black Velvet plunges beneath a 5

_____

I reviewed this a few days ago, but it never got posted. Here goes again.

This is my first review here. Thank you all for this satisfying resource.

My review of this Solani, a sensational smoke, should be taken in the context of my history (1.) Who would of thought that my appreciation of pipe tobacco could elevate to the stature of that of the gourmand? It is true. Wine, music and food: make way for something as wonderful.

Solani first and foremost engages the tongue. There is a broad swath of mild sweetness that bathes the side of the tongue. It is so wonderful, that one wishes it could be swallowed, to be completely savored.(2) Next, one realizes that it otherwise smokes as pretty uncoated/unflavored/uncased. Some might consider this boring. I obviously do not. I am getting a nice amount of smoke, which well  tastes like a full smoke with maybe a hint of a nuts (as in granola?). Those who say this is a boring smoke, must have developed a high threshold to subtlety, or have a greater scale upon which to opine. To me, the smoke dances and swirls within the palate, revealing a dynamic vitality: dark, then lightly smoked nuts and sweets, but never bitter.

I already know bite  tongue, palate, and cheek. I do not like bite; I now do not see any reason to smoke a tobacco that bites. (3) I am not yet knowledgeable enough to classify Burleys vs. other contents, However, as this is a Burley  I love this Burley.(4)

To me this Solani is like impressionistic music (Debussy, Sati); not Beethoven; not Bach, nor Mozart; certainly not heavy metal! This is smooth, serene, but full, friendly and well  comforting? Now if someone could make this at half the price . . .

All my best, Pipetype

NOTES: 1) I was a cigarette smoker for 50 years (now completely abstinent for 6 years), who only early-on occasionally smoked a pipe. My pipe tobacco at that time was limited to drug store brands. Of these I favored Balkan Sobranie, Mixture 79, and sometimes Half and half; never had been to a tobacconist. Recently, after watching a Sherlock Holmes episode (w/ Jeremy Brett) it occurred to me that I might be able to smoke a pipe with little risk of re-addiction to cigarettes. My current over-the-top enthusiasm for my New World of pipe tobacco is tempered by modest concerns about the health implications of pipe tobacco. To get this far, Ive had to endure emotionally loaded humiliations by fanatical anti-smoking kin and friends; must smoke in my own cave or outdoors. Ive looked at available very good epidemiological data on the health risks of pipe tobacco on those around me, and myself. Of all the risks, I am somewhat concerned about oral (and distantly: esophogeal, liver, and bladder cancers) due to tars which are powerfully delivered by side stream pipe smoke, saliva etc. I wish there could be a place where we could share information on this unemotionally. There must be a way to rinse away oral tar after smoking. I cannot find any scientific data on the efficacy of Medico and other filter systems in removing tar. However, what is that really awful smelly gunk in the filter, if not tar? So purely empirically and with speculation, I started using Medico filters, and if inserted correctly (i.e. to the bowel end) do not seem to mar the heavenly experience of a great tobacco. Suffice it to say, at this time for me the pleasures of pipe tobacco smoking outweigh any risks, fool that I am in the minds of those around me.

2) Indeed, I had the terrible tendency while smoking this brand to swallow as much wonderful tobacco tinged saliva as I could produce. This is probably the reason (passage of large amount of tar directly into the upper esophagus) why the risk of upper esophageal carcinoma is more frequent in pipe smokers than normals or cig smokers. So, Ive stopped doing it as much as possible.

3) I have a suspicion that an unpleasant bite of a tobacco (as differentiated from a wall of flavor) signals a health risk. I get bite form some tobaccos, no matter how I smoke them. (4) In order to understand whether I like other Burleys or just this one. Maybe because I was a cigarette smoker, Burley is just familiar to me. Perhaps the air curing increases the nicotine level. But that does not explain the sugary first taste which must be added. I can say I am also in love with Butternut Burley. My investigations continue.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It just about seems to be the chic thing to say this one of, or is, the best burley blend ever made. I can't honestly say it's the best ever, but it's mighty darn good. Some cocoa, a bit of nuttiness, slightly bready, with a light brown sugar/molasses taste. You'll have to relight it some, but you won't mind. The flavors are entrancing and everlasting, and rewards you with a nice after taste, too. Deserving of its reputation as a top burley blend, though more expensive than many of the others, you'll find it worth the extra bucks. If it's out of your price range, buy a tin anyway, and smoke it when you want to treat yourself to something good. If money doesn't matter and you like burleys, chances are you've already stocked up on this mixture, anyway, so join us in a bowl of burley bliss!

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (76)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

It's not like Solani ABF really needs another rave review but I can't help myself. This is truly some sublime burley leaf. The flakes are roughly the size of a stick of gum, and are right away at perfect smoking moisture. The tin aroma is a weighty dark dried fruit scent, reminiscent of currants or sultanas. As for smoking ABF, I have had great results using the fold and stuff method but I prefer to rub them out one at a time with each smoke. I typically place larger pieces in the pipe first and then top off each bowl with smaller bits to aid combustion. It took me a little while to appreciate this tobacco and to find my preferred method for enjoying it, but once I did - WOW what a smoke. And this tobacco only gets better when removed from the tin and jarred up for a spell.

What amazes me the most about this tobacco is that when smoked in the right pipe (I prefer a small pipe with this one), there is slight underlying honey like sweetness that really starts to come through just after the initial light. Sweet smoke flavor from a burley!??? Yes. And the more time I have spent with ABF, the more this subtlety has become apparent to me. Perhaps there is an added topping? Whether it's just some magical leaf al-natural or one hell of an amazing topping, I really don't care because ABF burns cool, even, and flavorful regardless of my cadence. As the bowl progresses, the faint sweetness disappears giving way to a rich deep and somewhat piquant tobacco flavor with a side stream aroma reminiscent of fruit wood smoke.

Also I should mention that I am officially among the ranks of the nicotine impaired and usually a strong dose will have me reeling. That said, I have experienced no adverse effects from smoking ABF, even on days where I have indulged two or more times. Excellent stuff. 4 stars all the way.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (22)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It is with great smoking pleasure that I write this review.

Now, this tobacco won't be for everyone. If you are looking for a dazzlying symphony of flavors that have pizazz, you're barking up the wrong (tobacco) tree.

What I will say is that Solani has probably written Burley history with this blend. I have never smoked a Burley that has such a high quality and enjoyable taste. And it's a flake! (I love almost ANY flake tobacco, almost)

When you open this tin up you'll be greeted with a nice clean cut flake that is dark for the most part but has smatterings of light leaf. The flakes are nice and orderly compared to those of Samuel Gawith flake tobaccos (which look like a form of beef jerkey sometimes). It would be a good idea to let this dry for at least 10 minutes as it's pretty moist out of the tin.

This tobacco has a decent dose of Vitamin N and has a full medium to strong taste (I rated it as just medium but it's definetly full and best after a nice meal). I wouldn't smoke this on an empty stomach. The room note is what you should expect out of a burley, somewhat like a fine cigar but not as stringent. You can get whisps of cocoa and a nice nut, almost like a Brazil nut. I imagine this is what burley tobaccos of yester year tasted like.

What's interesting about this tobacco is that it doesn't give that burley mule kick to the back of my throat that I usually get when smoking them. If you've smoked a burley (especially Kentucky) you know what I'm talking about. Matches860 on youtube said it best and I'll paraphrase, "You're not going to get those English blend flavor pops, but you know what you're going to get with each puff". And that my friends, is a wonderfully full taste of high quality burley tobacco.

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Carter Hall.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

They're not kidding about the sweetness. In a blind test I'd be likely to mistake the leaf for Red Virginias. What a wonderful smoke, completely contradicts my original perceptions of Burley as a component.

Like many pipe smokers, I switched over from cigarettes, my abandoned affection for Camel Wide Lights. Cigarettes are primarily made from Burley, yet I developed an early distaste for the leaf in my pipe. I found the nutty taste harsh, and had a single pouch of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed hidden in my desk drawer going on three years. It never seemed to go away. I had given up on the stuff until recently, when I was given a blind sample of a blend I had come to love. I found myself shocked to learn that it contained Burley, which I mistook for Turkish leaf, because it had a pronounced spicy note that I associated with the leaf.

It became my immediate and perhaps flawed conviction that Turkish varieties are nothing more than Burley seeds grown upon another soil, lacking the nitrogen that would make them robust as their more diverse counterpart. Immediately I opened up that old pouch of Edgeworth and had what I can only describe as a revelatory smoke. Spice filled my nose and for days straight I could only smoke the remaining contents of my fast dwindling pouch. Where I once shrugged the demise of the blend, I now mourned its absence, and took it upon myself to restock my desk drawer with a capable supply of exceptional Burley blends that I could further sample the leaf.

Aged Burley Flake hit my chart immediately, as I figured it might be a worthy alternative to Edgeworth Slices, of which I had only encountered praise. Having never smoked a Burley flake, I found the novelty exciting, as I've said the blend delivers a smooth, almost Virginia like experience. Sweet, mellow in strength, this is a contemplative smoke, delivered in a beautiful tin, packaged in subtle brown shades.

The tin, square and metal in nature, exhibits a flaw plaguing others of its sort, namely Peterson's University Flake and Samuel Gawith's offerings, including Squadron Leader and Full Virginia Flake. They fail to adequately contain moisture, leading the contents to dry quickly. I found it necessary to transfer the already dried contents to an old McClelland tin, complete with a dampened cloth to rehydrate the blend. My enjoyment was not hampered in any way by the actions, though I find the process an annoying and avoidable step should these blenders modify their designs. These things should be built for their practicality, rather than aesthetic sensibilities, however attractive they may be.

My senses still muddled by a recent cold, I've found the similarities with my more familiar Virginia flakes greater than they likely are, and I apologize for speaking out of line. I was reminded of the disparate nature when a passerby entered my den in despair. "Are you smoking something different," I heard. "It smells terrible." Indeed, my affection for this hobby has compromised my sense perceptions--a tradeoff I wouldn't exchange for all the riches in the world.

I wondered then why I had disliked Burley so much in my smoking, and came upon a theory that it was an aversion to the cigarettes themselves, which had only really served as a nicotine delivery system, the tobacco itself irrelevant. The chocolate undertones now enveloping the remainder of this dwindling bowl, the spicy note engulfing my nasal passage, I look back upon this transition with amusement. I smoke a pipe, bitches.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Opening the tin, I found subtle aged grains, Oats & molasses, sweet bran muffins, nuts, dates, cinnamon and cocoa. The whole mélange comes out fruit, chocolate and scorched granola. This stuff was grown and aged by masters, all scents married completely but you're still able to pick out dozens of aromas if you take the time.

Rub, pack and light.

Very interesting. Toasted pure tobacco. Subtle roasted nut and coffee flavors. Simple, but tastes great. Aging doesn't seems to have changed the burley much, except it's softer and very well balanced. Because burley has virtually no sugar in the leaf, it can't ferment like Virginia or a few other tobaccos. But it's lack of sugar also means it's not as likely to burn your tongue. Remember: Burley also has the most nicotine of any pipe leaf. This stuff has a nice kick to it. Eat something first. And don't smoke it before attempting sleep.

I've never had burley presented this way. I'm very impressed. The blend of vastly different burleys, has mingled and married deliciously. The toasting makes the whole thing more interesting. Rustic but with style, begs to be smoked outside, but wherever you smoke it - this stuff is great. Room note is quite light and tolerable.

Goes onto my favorite list as a “Something Different” selection.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

I'm not a big burley fan but this is a great tobacco. I've been enjoying this blend for quite a while, but had not had any in a few months. I found the open tin in my stash and it's totally dried out, and I mean crispy. Loaded it in a little Herter's Angler's pipe, which holds just enough for about a 20 minute smoke. Obviously there was no problem lighting it.

People talk about "nutty" flavors, and I agree, but to me it's the earthy kind of nuts like brazil nuts and a hint of filberts. The first half of the bowl was pure earth, like fresh garden dirt. It warmed up to a combination of nuttiness and earthiness and was just plain good all the way down. To be honest I've forgotten what it tastes like fresh, but I can vouch that it's good even when crispy dry.

I have more tins, and hopefully I'll be trying some soon that's fresher. Regardless, this is a really good, tasty blend. For me it's meant for sipping. It is not overly complex, but it has enough variation and nuance to keep it interesting to the bottom if you slow down and enjoy it. Easily a four star burley.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

These unbroken flakes have an aroma which evokes a lusciously tart melange of humus and root vegetables.

The initial flavor is mildly nutty and unprepossessing. The aroma is pointed, though light. There is the barest hint of toasty sweetness without any evidence of either VAs or added sugars. Aged Burley Flake exhibits no grassiness, sourness, or harshness but revels only in an ever-deepening richness. As the bowl progresses, the profile develops into a staid and austere crescendo of black walnut, leather, and coffee. The aftertaste is clean and fleeting.

A tightly focused study in richness sans nuance, Aged Burley Flake achieves a profound depth. It is a definitive icon for the serious burley aesthete.

Chamber Gauge: Narrow to Medium

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

An absolutely elegant burley blend. Quite possibly the best this tounge has ever tasted. I have cut the flakes into 1/8 inch cubes and rubbed this one out prior to packing. Very pleasurable smoke either way. Wonderful fruit and honey essences match with nutty textures common to burley blends. No bite, cool smoke. Absolute perfection. Fruit-like textures are like that of spiced peaches and dried apricots. These fruit essences are the natural release of natural tobaccos. They are not a result of artificial toppings or additives. Beautiful. four stars all the way. I have a large peterson xl315 dedicated to it now. If you have not tried it you must.

ronjam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ronjam (3)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After years of reading the reviews, I am adding my two cents worth. This is my second review. To offer a perspective, My regular, most smoked blends are: SG's Best Brown Flake, 1792, Luxury Twist Flake, Old Joe Krantz, Old Crooner, Christmas Cheer, Manhattan Afternoon, and others that are similar.

Aged Burley Flake: upon opening the tin for the first time, what immediately came to mind was the memory of lunches I had with fellow University of Miami professor Gil Johnson(deceased), trumpet teacher famed for his being lead player with the Philadelphia SO. We would have lunch at a great Cuban restaurant on 8th St in Little Havana and then go next door to Nick's Cigar shop for an after-lunch cigar. There was a selection of hand made cigars called the "Cabinet Series" that although not flavored, had a kind of chocolate/coffee aroma. ABF has that scent: deep and rich, cigar-like with a subtle chocolate/coffee flavor.

Smoking ABF, the flavors give way to an earthy, sometimes gravel-like flavor. I would not call this a Burley blend like Revelation and Peretti's blends which I smoked years ago. It is more cigar-like. I really enjoy it when sitting on my back porch around 2AM after I have played a gig-I am a jazz pianist. We live near the beach in Dania, Fl on the wetlands. The sight swampy smell of the wetlands on a steamy evening goes very well with ABF. Add a sip of rum and the experience is tropical.

In a word: excellent! This is one of my regulars.

Michael Kindt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael Kindt (7)

Even though everything superlative said about a tobacco has been said about Solani Aged Burley Flake, I'm going to say some more superlative stuff about it because it is, without question, very superlative.

This was the first tobacco early in my pipe smoking hobby that I fell in love with. Back in those days, I was playing around, like many pipe smokers do when they're just starting out, trying different things. I liked some aromatics, some over the counter burleys, some crossovers, but no tobacco truly wowed me....until Solani ABF.

"Great God Almighty!" I cried out during my first bowl, scaring the crap out of my dogs.

That was long ago, in the mists of time. I am a different man now. There is a patch of gray in my beard and Alanis Morissette, whom I used to be a fan of, now sounds like a cat being tortured.

I still love ABF, though. I always will. Nostalgia is a big part of it....coming home late at night after busting my ass in the kitchen (I worked as chef in those days) and having a few beers and a bowl of ABF. It was the perfect decompression and probably why the patch of gray in my beard isn't bigger than it is.

It is a simple tobacco, really, all burley, from three terroirs, blended and aged and prepared with such skill that it is elevated beyond its components. Musty, nutty, rich, smooth...it's simply fabulous.

I wad and stuff it, like a big ol' chaw. I wad and stuff all my flakes. Rubbing out flakes makes them taste somewhat muted or, perhaps, muddled. Might be just me, though. Drying a flake a few hours before you devour it also improves things.

By this point in my hobby, I have found many wow factor tobaccos, some of which I like better than ABF, but as the first, it will always have a place in both my heart and cellar.

dryseason91 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryseason91 (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Somehow both rustic and refined in equal measure. Cube cut, it begins with a slightly flat mustiness that soon rounds out and deepens into coffee and dry cocoa. Typical cheap-cigar notes of some burleys are happily absent, giving way instead to dark malt and pleasantly bitter nut. A little earthiness waxes and wanes. Never grows harsh or sour. A classic, completely unique stroke of blending genius.

Pipe Used: Bent meerschaum

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Darby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darby (15)

Blender R.L. Will has achieved a minor masterpiece in this truly elegant blend of burleys. This is the first (and thus far only) pipe tobacco that was so wonderfully rich, restrained and well balanced in its dark grandeur that it prompted me to pinch a small strip into a tiny plug, and pop it between my cheek and gums, just to slowly savor the flavor from a different angle. More on that later**.

The flakes here are a moist and lovely chocolate brown (the Kentucky dark), with some highlights of lighter brown (the Brazilian light) and beige (the Malawi white). The tin note has a restrained nutty aroma with hints of ground coffee, and only a modest hint of dark sweet malt. Some drying time is a must here, but your patience is richly rewarded.

There’s so much going on here that I’ll skip ahead to mid bowl, by which time the flavors have fully settled and come into focus. Now, most of us pipers are familiar to some degree with the gentle nuttiness that a good burley brings to the table, but the triple dose of perfectly matched top quality burleys here takes things to a WHOLE new level. Here, a rich complex nuttiness takes center stage ... picture a large mortar holding a palmful of freshly roasted brazil nuts and filberts (with shells & bitters intact), add some toasted carob pods, roast chicory and cocoa nibs, some medium roast coffee beans, some dark malt extract, a small curl of Saigon Cassia, and perhaps a chip of black licorice candy, then crush it all up with a lightly charred wooden pestle straight from the fireplace. Try to picture the combined aroma, and that’s as close as I can get you.

In addition to all that, there’s an equally wonderful lack of major flaws or balance issues. The sweetness is restrained - neither dominant, nor submissive. The Kentucky dark also brings a subtle nuance of smoke. The natural alkalinity of the burleys is present but not onerous, and the gentle bite actually compliments the slightly tannic and peppery finish. It’s a very impressive multi-layered balancing act that somehow all works, despite (apparently) a complete lack of added flavors, sweeteners or aromatics. Color me impressed. The only minor crime here is that this brand currently only comes in tiny 50 gram tins (nothing larger) that are not vintage dated, nor fully airtight once opened (tip: repackage in glass, if you plan to consume slowly).

This is a rare find, and highly recommended, both for straight up smoking, and for blending some tasty complexity into lesser fare. A perfect four stars from me.

---------- ** Taste: Smoking definitely brings out more of the complexity than mere saliva, but for the record, a tiny pinch exudes some of the same notes of coffee beans, carob and chicory I mentioned earlier, along with a pleasing astringency.

Pipe Used: Grabow Royalton

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (54)

In appearance these are dark chocolate flakes with a generous measure of of light tobacco spread throughout. The layers of leaf are on the loose side and rub out easily.

The tin note gives off generous cocoa aromas with woody undertones and the sort of caramelisation one finds with well cooked roast beef. I apologise for the bizarreness of that comparison, but it took me awhile to locate where I had smelt that aroma before and that really is what it reminds me of. There is also a soft malty sweetness.

This is a very slow burning tobacco but will require some attention. Rubbed out, a single flake lasts me well over an hour. One would be hard pressed to find a tobacco that delivers better value.

In terms of its flavour while smoking, this is not a tobacco that has been processed into something different to its burley nature, in the way virginian tobaccos are transformed by being pressed into flakes. Rather, this is a burley that has been tamed. Aside from its slow burning qualities, it has no bitterness at all and is exceedingly smooth. I did not detect any particular flavour profile beyond a creaminess and a malty, but not especially sweet, taste.

Of special note is how the ph of this tobacco has been balanced, at least to my palate. I did not need a drink to accompany this tobacco and did not find myself with any excess saliva at all. Nor does it seem to have much of a kick nicotine wise. Of course YMMV.

This is a very good all day smoke, surprisingly gentle, that would go well with a real ale and good friends. Honest tobacco, made well.

Pipe Puffington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Puffington (17)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

This is cased wet shit. How any of you shit's get through a bowl is amazing. Stick your aged burley up your ass. And I like burley. Never ever again will I buy this over priced junk.

Judge Adams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Judge Adams (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the best burley flake tobacco around. It delivers a solid, rich burley flavor unadulterated by toppings like the goop which laces Lane's "Burley Light Without A Bite." It burns evenly and not too hot. It is not identical to Wessex Burley Slice, but has a deeper, fuller body. I only have two reservations about this magnificent tobacco: The room note is not as pleasant as you would expect from the taste, and it dries out quickly once the tin is opened. Remedy: Smoke more of it more often.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)

I have to say that i LOVE this blend. I was lucky to get hold of this tin from my very dear friend Pipestud a few months ago.

I was hesitant to open it at first, it was when my current tin of Briar Fox somehow caught fire in an unusual number of very small but very cool fires that i was looking for an evening replacement. I was not planning on opening any of my aging tins of BF so, judging by the reviews, i thought this would be ideal based on the VitN content.

The best way i can describe the taste is to say that it has a deep, toasty, nutty taste that i kinda find Old Worldsy. It burns for a long time even in a small bowl and i find it most satisfying. I have a little Meer ( have lots of those ) dedicated to this blend and i will whip it out when in need of a relaxing no frills medium to strong smoke.

I did find it to be moist upon popping the tin and let it dry for around 24 hours until almost crispy. The flakes does remind me of University Flake in look and smell ( minus the berry ) and i felt immediately at home once i lit it up.

Good Stuff

Mo, South Africa

Wish I didn't have to write this. Opened a tin of this about 3 weeks ago. Been trying since then to dry some out the way I like it. It's not possible. Laid a bowls worth on a paper towel like I always do. Usually have several blends drying at the same time. Dozens of blends dried over the next seven days, most in just an hour or two, except for one, That would be this one. Seven days and it was still as wet as it was when I put it out. How wet? Very wet. You can use dozens of matches to get through a bowl. This is unacceptable. I tried the microwave method next. 8 seconds, fluff it till it felt dry. 8 more seconds, fluff until it felt dry. Still takes dozens of matches to get through a bowl. I don't know how you folks managed this stuff. There must be a secret that I'm not privy to. Never got a good enough taste of it to properly comment on that. Also, you shouldn't pay any attention to the ratings of strength or such. I have no real idea of what they should be. I'm through trying. They should have named this Aged Humectant Flake.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

ahmadyuzamir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ahmadyuzamir (4)

First tried this blend many months ago. Nothing stood out at first as I was still very new into straight Burley blends. Coming primarily from a Va, Va/Per background it took me a few bowls to really home in on the Burley characteristics. This blend packs, ligths easily from the consistent flake cuts. Unlike SG cuts, the cut found in the tin is very uniform, akin to Dunhill Flakes. The Burley tastes great, cool in various pipes. My advice for you to really enjoy this blend is to either dedicate a pipe to it or use it with your Va pipes. If you are using a pipe that has been used for Aros or Latakia, you may not fully appreciate the subtle taste of Burleys. This one is a staple in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Peterson System Standard, MM Cobs.

Age When Smoked: Fresh, revisited 3-4 months down the road

Purchased From: Kamelah Tobacco House

Similar Blends: None I can think of..

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Solani aged Burley Flake . This is my first "Solani" and I must say that upon opening it I was very pleased with what greeted me ! The flakes are wonderfully robust and give a great "full" Burley aroma whilst containing a moisture level that is unquestionably brilliant . Filling the pipe with this is an absolute pleasure as it is such an eminent Tobacco to work with . Once filled it is so easy to light , taking to the flame with such ease . The smoke is not at all indecorous to what a good Tobacco should suggest as it is a full Burley taste with no bite from beginning to end and only emanates "relaxation" . It contains a great Nicotine level , for me , about like Holger Danske Royal Navy Flake . It also does not create a lot of "cake" and "gunk" in the pipe bowl . When smoking this one I remember "why I smoke a pipe"... sheer pleasure !

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Smoke King

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Solani Aged Burley Flake is the first and only Burley flake I have smoked to this point in the two and a half years I have been smoking a pipe. I found some of this in a jar in my husband’s pipe room and thought I would give it a try. I smoke this by breaking the flakes into small pieces and rub a little out to get the pipe going. At first light, I get a sweet, almost honey-like flavor, although not from a casing. ABF quickly turned earthy and nutty. There is also a light cocoa undertone to it too. ABF never burned hot and I find it to be a little on the strong side. If I am not careful it makes me a little dizzy. This is a very smooth smoke though. ABF has made me want to try out more Burley flakes and I would recommend this flake. BTW, I don’t think he will miss the jar!

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (35)

The gentlest introduction to Kentucky blends, in my experience. For me, it was a gateway smoke to HH Old Dark Fired and Pease Triple Play. It's a bit one dimensional (not surprising, I guess) but interesting. Flavors of dark leather, graphite, burnt pine and toast, and just a few faint and occasional floral notes. Burns like a dream (rubbed out well) and serves up a healthy nicotine kick.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (11)

This is the first pure burley and also the first Solani tobacco i have tried,and i must say im impressed.

When i lit my pipe the first thing my tastebuds detected was that of some slighty sweet bread-ish flavour with a good body.

i am quite new to smoking tobacco and have recently gone from smoking flavoured tobaccos and begun to find my way amongst all the interesting flavours that pure obacco has to offer, all tho most of my experience in this (for me) new type of smoking has come from brands such as "Cornell & Diehl" and "G.L Pease" i must say that this tobacco from solani opened my eyes for what i really like to smoke, Burley!

and with that said, i would like to say that this is a tobacco i would strongly reccomend!

ps. please excuse me if my wording is a bit of, english is'nt my native language.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (23)

Well, let me see here... I can't quite put my finger on the absolute particulars of this Burley blend. As I write, I am partaking of I believe my 5th bowl since I purchased the tin, and am still befuddled by many of it's nuances which continue to evade my senses. Absolutely no bite, very full in flavor yet mellow in the smoke. The nicotine definitely makes itself known, but not in "kick your butt sideways" fashion. The flavor and aromas are by no means complex, yet there are subtleties that I find evocative and extremely pleasant. I detect no casing or topping in the tobacco. Just a sweet, mellow, smooth, slight chocolate, true tobacco aroma... Hard to describe really, but divine!

Having lived in tobacco country in Shelby County, Kentucky for 5 years, the aroma in this tin takes me on a stroll through the old tobacco barns and some wonderful memories. The Burley hanging from the rafters of 150 year old barns, wafting it's sweet aromas downward. Sitting below, enjoying the solitude and sensory bliss of doing absolutely nothing out in the middle of nowhere.

Those are now days past, city life is upon me again, and being a Peace Officer in a rough area oft causes me to be remiss in not revisiting these wonderful memories. Although temptation abounds to make this an every evening smoke, I will not. It is special, and I shall treat it as such. I'm going to reserve this smoke for after coming home from the really bad ones.

Highly Recommended!

Update: After letting this dry out a bit in the tin, it seemed to smoke a bit hot in the pipe even when just sipping. Still no bite, just rather hot in hand. Also, the sweetness has increased which amazes me for a pure Burley. Perhaps I will I try it in a smaller bowl pipe to see if that controls the heat a bit. The flavor of this tobacco is stellar. Amazing!

Bit-O-Baccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bit-O-Baccy (4)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I have been impressed with the Solani product line and I like burley tobacco the best so I decided to try this one. I am impressed. Like most flake tobacco it had to air-rest overnight - then, wow. This blend, 656, is the real deal and is full-bodied. The traditional chocolate taste of burley is in the background but you can get to the blend's essence if you take it easy - re-lights are common if you use the fold method. One of my all day smokes is MacBaren's Burley London Blend - excellent $$ and 100gm. MBLB is friendly and relatively light but 656 is its bolder bigger brother. If you like good strong burley, this is the one to get. Sit down with a cup-o-joe and enjoy. -bob

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Simply wonderful, I've been searching for a top shelf Burley for a long time. The best I have found before was Kentucky Club, not a lot of heft but a good smoke none the less. In 656 I get a thick crusty bread flavor, with a nice dose of nicotine. Upon opening the tin you are greeted with a thick rich tobacco smell that no other Burley can match, it smells like a Virginia to me, which is high praise. I will be stocking up on this blend, as I find that it has no equal in the Burley world.

Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

There is nothing bad I can say about this. It smokes slow and cool and the flavor is the most perfect burley flavor I could imagine. Which will likely taste like nothing to the non burley smoker, but anyone who likes burley as I do will find it exquisite. It is most definitely my favorite burley to date.

Wagon25 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wagon25 (14)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Someone used the word "sublime," and that's exactly the right word. "Other- worldly" isn't overstating it. I have a Stanwell with a narrow chamber, which I think allows the flavor to develop and nuance.

This has a character unlike anything I've ever smoked. Such a perfect but subtle balance of nut, olive and citrus olfactory sensations, without ever becoming self- aggrandizing. If this were a song it'd be Beethoven's 9th--just getting better until the final movement. If it were a university it would be Oxford. If it were a woman it would be Cleopatra. If it were a play it would be Hamlet. If it were a novel it would be Moby Dick (though Captain Ahab would have left the white whale alone and gone in search of this, if it had existed). If it were a detective it would be C. Auguste Dupin. If it were a cathedral it would be St. Paul's. If it were an epoch it would be the Greek Empire. If it were canonized it would be the book of Job.

If you're a new smoker, don't buy this--you won't get it. Wait a few years and try all the other good stuff, and then you'll appreciate this more. And don't turn this into an all-day smoke. And don't buy it unless you're willing to be mildly dissatisfied with everything else.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

I've been enjoying Va/Burs lately and wanted to give 656 a try after reading how many of the reviewers consider it a benchmark smoke -- and especially after one said it was "perfect." Let me start by saying that this burns better than any other flake on the planet and is the least fussy of any blend I've tried. It has nice body, no bite or bitterness and is very smooth, with a subtle, almost "woody" sweetness that peeks through. I didn't get as much nuttiness as I expected as with other Burleys, but there were no rough edges anywhere, and the flavor was pleasant and fairly full, if not deep. I detected no topping, but the natural tobacco taste held my interest. Regarding nicotine, I've had much stronger smokes.

It does get dark as it goes, as one of the reviewers accurately reported, and the smoky intensity took me a bit by surprise, similar to how a heavier English blend can become more weighty further down the bowl. This one also smokes s-l-o-w. One flake goes a long way. To me, a half flake, rubbed out, is sufficient. Also worth noting is the tin presentation, which is excellent.

As a straight Burley, this one earns 4 stars easily. I prefer some Virginias in my flakes, but I can see how this would be a Grail smoke for any Burley enthusiast.

A Northern Breed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Northern Breed (16)

This stuff is just... perfect. There, I've said it, and I never thought that I would. And I am about to go say the exact same thing about Solani's 660 Silver Flake. R.L. Will must be one hell of a tobacco blender, because this tobacco (along with 660) is absolutely unbelievable. The beauty is in the simplicity, and as a great someone once said, "It is what it isn't." And yet, it is what it is, as well. It's just perfectly simple, and the simplicity is complex. Strange contradictions abound.

It comes in a beautiful tin, wrapped in beautiful paper inside, and the flakes are gorgeous, uniform little brown chewing gum sticks. They behave absolutely perfectly, whether you're rubbing or folding and stuffing. I must say, the flakes are a little thick for me to be folding and stuffing (and I don't fool with that often anyway, as I don't believe there is much benefit to be had by doing so), so I smoke it rubbed, and it's great. Lights easily, burns beautifully, never bites and is cool as a cucumber. Moisture level is also literally perfect. It is exactly how it should be. Is this blender even human?

The taste is really, really hard to describe for me. It is certainly not Carter Hall or Prince Albert, good god no. In fact, this is the PERFECT tobacco to give someone if you want to instantly make them rethink all those times they said they hated burley. It is nuanced, gentle, soft, yet creamy, bold, and nutty. It is the absolute, unchallenged heavyweight champion of the world of burley tobaccos, the Holy Grail of burley tobaccos.

BUY THIS STUFF. I hesitate to rant and rave like this, because for one, I hate to sound like a frivolous goof, and for another, I don't want all of you buying up all my 656 ABF! But really and truly, if you enjoy natural, straight tobacco, and you have not had this, you are missing out, big time.

Charlie Allnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Charlie Allnut (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Bland. Little flavor. Medium strong in nicotine. Relatively expensive. Overall, this flake misses the mark. A less than stellar attempt by Mr. Will.

Like the other Solani offerings, it is a beautiful tobacco. The flakes have just the right moisture content. It loads, packs, and lights easily. Burns cool. But there just isn't anything to get excited about.

If it is nicotine you are after, there are stronger tobaccos that actually offer some flavor. If it is burley you crave, there are better burleys out there.

This stuff is just boring and bland and not worth the money. Not even worth the time. I should never have switched from scotch to martinis.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

Original review 11/2009- Four ounces into this tobacco, and I think I am in love. That says alot for someone who really does not, as a rule, like burleys. But, this is really starting to change my mind.

The body is very nice. The smoke is silky and smooth, not harsh and hot like most other burleys that I have experienced in the past. The maker here is clearly a very skilled and careful craftsman. There is truly a nut-like quality that has eluded me with earlier burley attempts. And a level of sweetness that is light but tasty. There are NO rough edges here.

This one pairs nicely with a strong cup of coffee in the morning, or whenever you need a refreshing break. Easily an all day tobacco, except for the price. But I am not one to mark a great tobacco down for the price. No matter what my pocketbook says, this is great stuff.

Update 09/2011- The stock of tins I have are smoking perfectly after the 2 year mark. This is the one Burley that I truly enjoy everytime I smoke it. Air time is needed with this one. I think the latest reviews are from people trying this without properly airing it. Two weeks of jar time with the occasional opening is the ticket. 15 more tins in storage, will try again at 3 years. Cheers!

Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking a great deal of burley lately and was very excited about this flake from the reviews here. One person had commented on how it reminded him of Peterson's UF and I happen to like that flake very much. Well it smelled like UF without the fruit topiing, but that's where the comparison ends.

The amount of smoke was poor after I finally got it lit well.

The flavor was non-existent...this seems to have been pressed, steamed, processed or whatever so thoroughly that it tasted like..well....nothing.

I even had a hard time detecting the typical nutty aroma of Burley. This is by far the worst pure/mixed burely flake I have ever experienced.

If I could give this Zero stars, I would....so one will suffice. And with taxes and money tight, I was exponentially disappointed. I threw away the rest of the tin without blinking an eye!

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)

Solani's Aged Burley Flake has managed to attract superlatives like a naked Alaskan attracts frostbite. And that's a testament to the wisdom and taste of the reviewers on this site.

Taken in the right context, this is a remarkably pure, truly outstanding tobacco. It's beautiful to look at, redolent of cocoa and dried fruit in the tin, and it smokes as cleanly as any top quality flake available today. My occasional forays into the world of straight Burley are lifted by this lovely stuff.

What this delicious stuff lacks (and most 4 star tobaccos have) is complexity. Then again, looking for complexity in a straight Burley--even a mature one--is kind of like searching a pot-hole puddle for a nice juicy salmon. It just ain't there. And it's not supposed to be.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Overwhelming Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant

Being a Burley lover, I was intrigued to find this addition to the Solani product line. I looked forward to a great smoke.

Boy, was I ever disappointed! There is no question that this is a tobacco of exceptional quality, but it made me ill everytime I put a match to it. The nicotine content of this stuff is off the charts! Even on a full stomach, this weed made my head spin.

All those who gave this four stars must be made of sterner stuff than I. Being a pipesmoker for 35+years, there have been only two blends (before this) that I could not handle because of harshness or UMMPH. This is the third. It is smooth as can be...but the strength made me reel for hours afterward.

All the comparisons to other Burley flakes on today's market seem, to me, illusory. Edgeworth and Kingfisher are wimpish compared to this stuff.

Solani offers some outstanding tobaccos and, for some, perhaps this is one. Speaking only for myself...glad I smoked only a sample; I'd sue if I'd paid for this noxious, vile intoxicant.

Solani has generally not disappointed me in the past and this blend is no exception. Nicely prepared brownish flakes ~ 3/4"x3"x1/16" give off a great, true tobacco aroma from the tin. I don't rub out my flakes and had some problems with numerous relights initially but they were caused by my packing technique. Once I mastered the proper method & looser packing for this moisture content and pliability, those problems disappeared and a cool smoke without condensation resulted. Although the strength was fine and this smoke was not bitter to the end, I prefer the sweeter taste from my VAs and VaPers. Certainly worth a try if you enjoy burleys.

sibeen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sibeen (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Overwhelming Tolerable

4noggins had a special on this a month or two ago so I thought I'd give it a try.

BIG MISTAKE.

Maybe, just maybe, I received a dud of a tin. The aroma upon opening wasn't too bad, but the taste once lit...Oh dear.

Mould with a musty after taste. Just dire. Unsmokable. So I dried some out overnight. Same result. An extreme mouldy taste.

Right...straight to the bin with that one. never again.

Greasy Neale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greasy Neale (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Very Mild Pleasant

A nice dark flake with a mild tin note. I rubbed the flake out and my fingers were covered in sticky wet gunk that dried off quickly. The rubbed out flake needs to be packed loose to get it to burn properly. Otherwise, plan on relighting regularly. The smoke is nice. It's strong and subtly sweet for a burley. It burns hot, but probably because a loose pack is required for a consistent smoke due to the damp stickiness out of the tin. I imagine it would burn just fine with a little drying? It's not my bag, but I'm not a big burley fan. I'll update this review after I spend more time with the blend using various pipes.

Update: This blend is growing on me. The burn has cooled down with a little drying. I think it smokes best in a cob. I'm not a burley fan, but I have to say I'm really starting to like the nut and chocolate flavor. I can see myself smoking a few tins every spring, but it won't be a regular thing for me. I'd say it deserves another star. It's a three star blend.

Pipe Used: Cob & Briar

Purchased From: smokingpipes

tntrush Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tntrush (3)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mother earth at the best possible smoking version ... Or is it the scent of a fertile woman at her pick?

Excellent smoke, strong though.

Of course it is not easy to make ends meet with a fertile woman at her pick, if someone is behaving sloppily. Overdid it once, and got dizzy.

Pure smoke, deep taste, full "as is" Burley dimension in your bowl.

This is an experience.

Pipe Used: Briar Pipe

Age When Smoked: Off the tin, up to one year in a jar

Purchased From: http://pipe-shop.net/

richardsondp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
richardsondp (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my favorites. While it is has a complex full tobacco flavor it is also mild and won't bite. Will keep coming back for more. What everyone says is true. You will not be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Petersen Aran Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 48

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Well this is BURLEY at his best. One of the best burley flake I ever smoked. Close to perfection so I highly recommend, at least to try once. Love it.

Pipe Used: always Peterson

Age When Smoked: -2 yrs

Purchased From: street corner shop

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is for sure a very different kind of flake. It displays all of the traits that make Burleys a great smoke while exhibiting none of the detractors. What you taste is primarily smooth and fairly rich tobacco with a subtle, sweet quality and it's just, well, very easy to smoke! And best of all, there is none of the bitterness that is often associated with Burley tobaccos. The flake is not quite what I would describe as "wonderful", but it is most definitely a very satisfying and pleasurable smoke.

The smoke displays a slightly charred aroma and there is a smoky quality that appears in the flavor, but the taste is pretty neutral overall. There is not much complexity, but the smoke is smooth, cool, uniform and consistent throughout. There’s more than enough here to maintain some interest, but I could never bring myself to classify this blended flake as overly fascinating--but then, I'm not sure that it was ever intended to be. It is simply a straight-forward, honest tobacco experience. This is a great change-of-pace smoke for the Virginia and Virginia Blended Flake smokers and it fully deserves 3-stars+.

Pipe Used: Medium Briars & Meerschaums

This is a quality burley smoke. There is good, solid tobacco flavor and none of the bitterness you get sometimes. This smokes like a slightly fuller version of Uhle's Blend 00, and I do not detect any topping. I think there is a little in Blend 00. I have enjoyed this a lot. Even if you think you don't like burley, you should bum a few flakes from a friend and give this a try.

This and Uhle's Blend 00 are about as good as burley gets for me.

Pipe Used: various briars

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)

Nothing special, but still enjoyable. It is very good quality burley, but this blend really doesn't offer too much. Best if treated in the same manner as a VAPer. Sip it slowly.

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ahhhhh... I was so looking forward to try this blend for sometime now...

After finishing (throwing away) Peterson Special Reserve 2013 tin, I decided to open this tin, for a real, unflavoured (or little flavoured) tobacco taste; Burley at that!

Upon opening the tin, there is a very faint smell of dried fruits/pot pourri (really ever so slight).

Rubbed one flake just to try it out in my meerschaum pipe after scraping some deposit from the walls, and I was welcomed with strong nutty flavours, very slight fruit/sugar aromas and stronger wood notes. Is it just me, or does anyone detect a slight alcohol taste? This now goes down to my favourite tobaccos list, as it is an enchantment to the palate! No tongue bite whatsoever and room note seems to be quite tolerable by the partner.

Highly recommended.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

My absolute favorite all day any time smoke just fold and stuff in to a cob and enjoy

BowHunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BowHunter (12)

It' a lot of time I wanted to try this flake, unavaible in Europe. Two days ago a friend finally brought this for me from USA.

Open the tin reveals a sweet aroma of dark chocolate and figs, but I think it's not a top casing. It's more similar to the tobacco aroma of some king of Virginia from SG.

The flake is compact yet very wet, so I decided to rub it completely and let it dry 20 minutes before filling the pipe. I saved some dry tobacco and put it in the tin.

Uhm...first bowl wasn't that great. Let me explain: the tobacco never bites, the bowl almost always cool, but...it seemed to me like...the full taste wanted to explode but it couldn't. I was noticing it was a good tobacco, but I wasnt able to apreciate it.

Day after (today) I dared more. Broke the flake into small pieces, but not rubbed out. Let it dry for one hour and a half. Then I filled the pipe starting from the bigger pieces and the going to the smaller ones. In the end I put the dry tobacco I saved the first day. Pressed well and lit. It required some patience to lit, but...once lit...wow. Wow. Pure tobacco flavour. Pure dark tobacco flavour, filling your mouth with smooth smoke and caressing your nose with notes of tobacco, nut, chocolate, may be cocoa... As you go throught the bowl, this small dark lord bring you through a walzer of nuances, getting you SATISFIED.

No flavouring at all. Just good old tobacco taste. Just tobacco. But...what a tobacco. Never ever biting. Never ever overheating the pipe. No need to relit (don't press the tobacco too much through the experience). So delicate and so decise! Easy to fall in love with it!

the only bad new was for the pairing I did with a single malt whiskey. The whiskey cleanse away the delicate yet full taste of this wonderful tobacco, which is full, but not persistant. Next time better with a dark coffee or a grey tea.

Would love to say it'll be in my rotation, but it's not avaible in Italy so, at least for me, will be a special friend for special evenings.

N-Vitamine is present but not as strong as I read below. If you ever tried Black XX or Brown 4, they're a lot stronger. It's the right amount for a evening dream on burley wings.

If you like aromatics or if you need latakia to feel ok...let it go. But if you like the dry, full, charming taste of pure tobacco...buy more than a signle tin. Highly reccomended!

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

I guess I am not a burly guy I felt as though I was smoking peat moss. Sorry.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

Neatly presented uniform flakes. Rub out gently lengthwise to keep some long strands, let rest for half an hour. Pack inverted leaving an air gap. Sweet and nutty flavors - makes me think of Rocky Road ice cream with a slight hint of coconut mid-bowl.

High-quality leaf for sure but not for every day - will save this one for when I am in the mood for something on the slightly stronger side.

willigeo02 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
willigeo02 (3)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my first Flake. I'm very satisfied with how it is reviewed, and it lives up to the hype. The flakes are slightly moist out of the tin. The tin can be sniffed for hours in my opinion. Natural, slightly sweet, earthy smell. Something I enjoy in the summer when the nightly mist is on the tobacco fields here in NC. I used the "s" fold that fit perfectly in the pipe. It took a while to light, so next time I'll let it air out for 30min. I also jarred the rest of the flake with hopes that it will be so much more enjoyable next time. Vitamin N is definatly in there. Would probably be great with a cup of of coffee. The flavor is enjoyable with a slight coco/nutty or maybe a toasted marshmellow "s'more" flavor. I tried to find the sweetness, and found what others review about. Very nice, relaxing, complex.

robsm2013 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robsm2013 (6)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my absolute favorite tobacco! It's complex in that you have to find the sweetness in it - which i find interesting about it - unbelievable richness - you definitely notice the quality of the aged tobacco.

Highly recommended!

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

My favorite burley based flake. I even love the cocoa-like topping. Smooth, yet sturdy and flavorful. It comes aged already, as the name announces. But I find it smokes best when the contents are jarred for awhile after popping the tin. Before smoking it, I rub out the flakes a bit and let them air in a twist-lok container for a couple of days. That way it smokes lighter and without as many relights. Tip: enjoy a lozenge of Ghirardelli's 86% cocoa chocolate and then smoke some well-prepared ABF, perhaps with a mug of coffee by your side. The ideal morning smoke combination for me.

Cragganmore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cragganmore (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I feel everything regarding taste has been covered previously. The only things I would stress is the quality and consistency of Aged Burley Flake. It took me a while to warm up to it but once I started to appreciate the subtlety and realized that it provided me with the exact same high quality smoke every single time... well let's just say I went from 4-6 smokes per month to a daily consumer.

I even had euphoric smokes of this in -20 degrees Celcius (which is -4 or so in Yankeedegrees I believe) coupled with a huge, hot cup of coffee.

Beardnote: dangerously close to being cigaretteish. This would be the only flaw I can find in ABF.

There is no better burley brand anywhere. Pricey, being as it is only available in a tin, but worth every penny. If you're preference is burley, you can't do better than this.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (51)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

High quality flake, nicely packaged (its how a man would like his presents wrapped all the time). Just moist enough to require minimal drying time, breaks apart well, burns cool and clean.

I trust burleyphiles who state this as being creme de la, but I just can't do straight burley-it's just too one dimensional for me.

Having said that, I'll try to maintain some stock of this as its a great 1:2:0.5 mix with 2 parts Dunhill Flake and 1/2 part St. James Perique. Now that's a tasty VaBurPer! Recommended

II Stormy II Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
II Stormy II (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Good smoke. Best straight burley I have smoked. upgraded this to 5 star after finishing a tin. The charring light is a little harsh so I cap off the bowl with an aged virginia to tone it down a little. I can almost fill a full Peterson house pipe with 2 flakes. This is a great burley flake!

fustillat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fustillat (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm sorry to say that I was hardly impressed. I found it too bland. It burns well, without tongue bite.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)

Pure burley bliss, if that's your thing. The smoke has a blue green hue. The taste is sweet and straightforward burley fare. Can't go wrong here. Even those who aren't really burley fans should enjoy its simple beauty. Best in a small bowl. I found the flakes are difficult to rub out but it is still worth a look.

spidermonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spidermonkey (7)

This stuff is nothing short of outstanding. I have no idea what they do in the processing of this tobacco, but if it is indeed without any topping/casing - that is amazing. The aroma of nuts and cocoa is present upon opening the tin. It is one of the few tobaccos among those I have tried to give me a slight buzz - although that could have just been the euphoria from the delight that was bombarding my senses. Smokes well. It is a little - ok - really sticky flake - not like sugar... more oily - that breaks up to a rather coarse consistency. This stuff cannot be rubbed into ribbons as far as I can tell.

No bite - at all. Smokes cool. Not ashy on the relight - and it may require a few. Besides the new tin wonderment, I also have a mason jar with some that is over two years old. Smells like chocolate cake in the jar, tastes nearly the same. It's amazing the way that it ages compared to the usual burley blends. It's very rich after it matures. Love this stuff. Not an everyday tobacco for me - more of an occasional treat for a job well done.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (32)

Coming from a new pipesmoker trying to find blends that deliver in tobacco taste, this one delivers. I recently came away from straight virginias disappointed in their mild taste profile. I liked latakia blends and was searching for something else to bring it. This definetly did but not in an overwhelming way. I will definetly have this on hand at all time. Very nice nutty natural pleasant full flavor.

dnietosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dnietosi (11)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Fabulous Smoke! Extremely pleasant! A little high on the nicotine for what I was expecting. Got me dizzy :), but I was still very happy about it. No dottle. Loved it! Next time I will be ready.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)

Delicious Straight Burley , nutty and with a light sweet and cocoa taste, this one is fantastic!!!

PuffedRomanian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffedRomanian (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant

When I opened the tin, the darker aromas, such as chocolate, coffee,nuts....very earthy sweet smell. The first bowl i packed was a fold and stuff , very smooth and sweet. Then i tried it rubbed and it was not very impressive after about a week of letting it sit in the can, it was heaven at every puff. Tastes good and smooth, no tongue bite, sweet. If there really si nothing added to this one then its deserves its merit. Definietly will be buying more eventually to age to smoke.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

This handsome little flake is a real winner. This is my first foray into the house of Solani offerings. Based on the quality it wont be my last.

My first thought was that a pure burley flake would probably have a brawny nicotine wallop. Not so. I found this tobacco did not give me the spins at all. It pairs beautifully with a coffee and once fully rubbed out packs very easily.

The taste is one that is pretty unique. There is not much stereo typical "nutty" taste as most burleys hold. The flavor is a little hard to describe but very tasty and satisfying. The tin description mentions a sweetness, which is absolutely true, and reservedly appropriate. Not candy sweet, but mellow sweet.

The flavor this blend produces makes me believe I could smoke this as an all day blend. There are some subtleties to this leaf but that comforting baking bread feeling could be an all day smoke for me. The only problem with that is this stuff is not cheap. It is not over the top expensive, but maybe a little pricey for a go to blend. I would also be very curious to see what a couple years of age would do to this tobacco.

Overall an excellent smoke and a beautiful presentation. This tobacco will not be my last offering from Solani. Highly recommended.

keisel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keisel (12)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After so many good reviews for this tobacco, i bought a tin. I'm not a fan of flakes (i maybe will) and the taste was mild, to mild for a good pipe smoking. I almost forget this tobacco and i finished it 5 days ago. I'm not going to buy it again for the moment, because it's too expensive for what it is.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

A delicious all around smoke. Woodsy, nutty notes.

Bluewood Paul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluewood Paul (4)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

right when uou open the tin you notice a sweet smell almost like raisins or a sweet black cavendish which will make you think the smoke has alot of flavor....it really doesnt...just a slight sweetness at the end of every puff... but overall good earthy tobacco

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Well-rounded burley. Don't worry if burley isn't your thing, because this one has some depth to it. It retains the nutty and earthy tones that make burleys attractive to some, but has a wonderful sweetness to it that belies a depth and body of some Virginia and even oriental blends.

This one needs some drying time after rubbing out, deserves to be sipped slowly, and certainly wouldn't qualify in the 'all-day smoke' category.

This is much more complex than your straightforward burley blends and as such provides several smokes before rendering an opinion.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin, very chocolatey and slightly earthy. Smoke, all the normal nutty, toasted butter of a burley and then at the end of every puff...a little something else..kind of a sweet little something..very tasty! I really enjoyed this. This is hands down the best Burley I have smoked. I had my first zen pipe moment on a bowl of this as well. The sweet fruity flavor on the exhale brings a wonderful paring with the normal nuttiness of the Burley.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (20)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A nice flake. The tin aroma is one of dark chocolate with hints of liquorice. The smoke is tasty, fairly sweet, and well-bodied, but without the overwhelming nicotine content of a blend like Peterson's Irish Flake. It goes well with black coffee, a stout ale or a scotch, particularly after a heavy meal of red meat.

ARIMA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ARIMA (12)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Burns great, no bite. As good as Solani Silver Flake. Another one I'll buy again.

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (22)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

Solani´s burley flake is a blend for the pipe smoker connoisseur. I do not consider myself a flake fan, but I keep finding some of the very best blends to come as flakes (Astley´s 109, Peter Stokkebye´s Luxury Twist Flake, and Peterson´s University Flake). This burley flake now joins the list.

Upon opening the tin, you will find beautiful flakes that will give you a pleasant aroma: bread, raisins, brown sugar, even a hint of sawdust. The rubbing part can be tricky as it may come just a little too humid. I found my flakes to feel somehow sticky, which was new to me, but I didnt find it interfering with my smoking.

This tobacco can be lighted easily. Provides a full smoke, rising the pure burley to its splendor. You can feel its unadulterd sweetness while enjoying a high quality tobacco taste. Sensational wood notes are sense along with just a hint of orange as in a zesty mixture.

I am looking forward to keep a couple in my cellar to see how they age. Man, even the tin is outstanding!

greased_lightning Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greased_lightning (2)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Most people seem to have had positive experience with this. My tin tasted very mild and not at all what other people have said. One other reviewer mentioned that they had bought a couple of tins and there was a big difference between them. Some tasted great while others were bland. I can only conclude that this is the case with my tin. The tin smell is very good, but the smoke is harsh to the point it almost seems like a spicy blend that spices the back of my throat. When I smell the smoke, it spices my nose and into my sinuses (if that makes sense). To top it off, the taste is very bland and not tasty at all. I am not sure what I got but it aint what others are describing.

This inconsistency in the blend between tins leads me to suggest not getting this- although if you are a gambling man your chances seem to be good that you will get a tin that is as most people describe.

I am using this in a corncob that I previously used aromatics in. I am using burley to take away any ghosting that may have occured in this pipe and I am planning on using VAs in it. Could this be the reason for the harshness? I doubt it. I have only smoked A LITTLE BIT of Carter Hall, Uhle's Marquette Blend, and Mac Barens Dark Twist. But Ill give the benefit of the doubt and if it happens to be the case that the aromatic ghosting is causing this, I will update this review. I will smoke the rest of the tin....reluctantly...

Update: My "spicy" perception may have been from a too hot of a smoke.

Update #2: It seems I was smoking this tin with it being too moist. Dry this out- a lot! Spiciness is gone. Could this have been steam? I don't know. I did get the sweetness/tangy that others had at the beginning of the smoke, then at the end the nut flavor. I will change my star rating from 2 to 3. Being a latakia lover and not into the aromatics at all, I was surprised to find the sweetness with this not being a flavored tobacco. This one may just grow on me. I will give it some more time and am no longer reluctant to try another round. It still is a medium in strength, as I have had much stronger blends than this.

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (12)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The tobacco can burn easily, and after the first trains developed a rather unusual tangy-sweet flavor. This is rather unusual for Virginia lovers taste from first to last whistle of the train continued without having to change fundamentally. The taste reminds most of the smell of pure unsweetened cocoa. The Burley has, contrary to many descriptions, but a very distinct taste and plenty of power. Unlike good Virginia tobacco, the taste is not very nuanced, it is earthy, tart-sweet.

So I like the Aged Burley Flake honest with his earthy charm. We know each whistle what to expect. Not in the morning and not at noon, but at night you will ever seen a tobacco with oomph of calls and still not enough tension holds. Those looking for that is operated well with the Aged Burley. Who is lively, elegant taste, the pleasure of looking hands off the tobacco.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

OH BABY! I just opened a 50g tin of this wonderful bacci...and once I figured out how to prep/enjoy this one (not being a burley smoker) it was love at first puff ;-) moist out of the tin this flake comes in nice/tight flake slices/great presentation in the tin... So my prep; rubbed out a few pipe loads of this flake, let it try out in a plate for a few hours...BOOM.....POW....and a gravity fill and super light tamp in a large chamber rusticated Boswell OPaul pipe and off I went into Cloud-9...slow-sip'in all afternoon....man this is some KICK-!@#$%^ Burley flake...Solani has a hit with this one...many more tin coming my way as I'm sorry to say it won't last long if it keeps smoke'in like this....so go grab some even if you are not a burley smoker you might just want to go grab a tin to experience this one

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I also must have had a tin that is the bland one that other people are talking about. Maybe I'll risk another one, we'll see.

Edit: On second thought, having my palate more developed, I've come back to the same tin and found it quite good. This is my first straight burley, and I think I will prefer this when wanting a Virginia, but don't want it to be too sweet/saucy. Upgraded to 3/4.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice flake presentation in a nice tin. Looks remarkably like a good virginia flake, smells sweet but nutty somehow. Easy to fold/roll and stuff, takes a bit of lighting and tamping to get the right temperature going. Sweetness transfers to smoke in the same way as a good virgina would (eg FVF). Wasn't sure what to expect with this one but certainly a high quality straight tobacco that I would be more than happy to smoke in place of the very best virginia flakes.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This would be a four-star blend if I hadn't run into serious variations between batches. I don't know if this is a quality-control issue or simply the result of the blender using different batches of leaf from year to year, but I've had tins that were almost indescribably good and others that were nearly unsmokable.

The presentation is that of uniformly gorgeous, deep brown flakes. Unlike many burlies, they smell sweet even before lighting. Upon firing up a bowl (of the good batches) this sweetness manifests itself immediatly in the smoke. In fact, if it weren't for the manufacturer's insistence that there is no added flavoring or virginias in this blend, I would insist there was one (or both). The flavor even changes as the bowl progresses, much like a good virginia, becoming darker, sweeter and even smokier (in the same sense that latakia is "smoky"). This is a full-bodied mixture with a decent nic-hit, and it almost never bites the tongue.

Other batches, however, have been flat and dull to the point of being tasteless. Also, I've had a couple of tins that burned ridiculously hot and shredded my tongue.

Depending on the tin, I could give this four stars or one. I'm giving it three because I get a positive experience more often than not, but I feel compelled to add that I've stopped buying new tins of this because I simply don't know what I'm getting. My first few tins had me convinced that I'd finally found my "desert island" smoke, but obviously that hasn't turned out to be the case. YMMV.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I am seriously impressed with this tobacco. Great hearty flakes that rub out and burn well right out of the tin. Burley fans will seriously appreciate this blend. See, I was in a hurry to smoke this prince so right out of the tin into my bowl. I have found that I prefer a medium, to large bowl for this blend as it goes a long way rather well. I haven't introduced it to MM's The General cob yet but it's coming soon when I have about two hours for 'General' time to devote to it. As I smoke this Solani tobacco I get a feel for nutty, grainy, rich taste going on here. Wholesome good for ya stuff! Also i found it to be a respectable fold-n-stuff flake; just maek sure you leave some 'tinder' for the top of the bowl. Got to give Solani Aged Burley Flake a FOUR star rating in it's class.

ACS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ACS (6)

A fairly full-flavoured, uncased tobacco, fairly close in aspect to the 'black Costa Rican coffee' quality I've been hunting for. 'Nutty' is a reasonable description. Though it can burn a tad hot, it's one of my current favorites. BTW, non-smokers comment that the scent is "strong," but "pleasant." Rubbing the flakes out is straightforward.

Thwarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thwarp (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was excited to see this blend arrive as I like burley but having had a bad experience with McClellend Mataure Virginia I wasn't sure what to expect with a matured burly.

Keep in mind that for some reason odors bring up images for me.

Open the tin and get my nose down and good an instant raw Cocoa smell. Not sweet chocolate as some ascribe it. But Hershey's unsweetened cocoa from the tin when your mom or grandma bought it, simmered the milk and stirred in cocoa and sugar. Yes kiddies raw cocoa doesn't come sugar laddened. along with the nutty smell of burly and the raw cocoa nut this was begging for a taste on the tongue.

I took a small speck off the flake and put it on my tongue. Alway expecting a quadruple fold effect in doing this it always gives a crisper taste of whats to come in the smoke. Some things you wil never taste in the smoke though. Such as the barely detectable acid like flavor that comes from the ageing process. Its very poiniant in McClelland matured VA's. It even comes through in their smoke. But not in this burley. Its hardly noticeable but it does contribute to its mild and naural sweetness. Believe me there is not one drop of propylene glycol in this flake. Ala natural for the most part.

I use the rolled technique to pack a flake. Flakes are dense and can be hard to keep lit out of the tin. But after a few puffs of this I didn't care if I had to relit 100 times or as little as two.

This is quite rich in flavor but not bold or heavy handed. NBut medium to full. You get the raw cocoa smell and the nutty burly flavor quite well. Smokes very mellow and well rounded in flavor. Theres nothing complicated here so don't look for it. Its a simple smoke but quite rich....... kind of like the best chocolate cake you've ever had without the 2 lbs of sugar in it.

The room note is tolrable for some and pleasant for others. It instantly conjured up an image for me of standing next to my grandfathers Belgium draft horses than he spoiled rotten. This is a fond memory BTW. They didn't stink other than what a horse should smell like.

A daily blend? Heavens no. Not at these prices anyway. A special treat? Oh yeah baby and how. Keep it always on my shelf. You betcha. Even VA lovers are not spitting on this blend at all even though they really want too. They just can't. Though being biased they'll give it 4 stars.

Being a burlyy fan I can give it 5 with no complaints at all about the toby.

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

this is one great burley a little sweet no bite smoke it very slow let it drift out of your month and this will become one of your favorites.

Grampa's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grampa's Pipe (12)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Solani ABF is arguably the finest Burley flake available today. A bit pricey and worth every penny. Pure Burley and no flavorings. Smokes great with no bite. This is is what Burley should be.

Dr. Hall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Hall (15)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice, chocolaty, rasiny sweet, strong-ish burley. I wish it weren't so expensive! That's the only reason I don't smoke this one on a daily basis and why I still smoke Mac Baren's Burley London Blend when I'm in the mood for burley. But this ABF is like a darker, more intense Mac Baren's Burley London Blend, not necessarily better in flavor than the Mac just more flavor and strength all around. If my memory hasn't completely abandoned me, ABF is somewhat similar to Edgeworth Slices in style and flavor profile. I last smoked Edgeworth back in the 90s, so take that with a large grain of salt. I like ABF better I think because I took to it immediately when I first lit it up, whereas the Edgeworth took me a couple of tins before I decided I liked it and then it was discontinued. I have also smoked the Wessex Burley Slice, and while it's nice too, I prefer the Solani.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice easy smoking flake! and that is a good recommendation.. Solani has a good true burley tobacco here and that is hard to come by.. It smokes cool and has a traditional nutty burley flavor.. with slight hints of cocoa.. If you are looking for something you can smoke at any time of day that doesn't require too much attention but has enough flavor to keep you satisfied this is a fine choice.. If you are looking for fireworks look elsewhere (maybe solani 633 virginia perique.. which has a richer more complex yet more difficult smoke) But this is no drug store burley! this is as good as burley gets in my opinion and as a burley gets 4 stars.. my tastes favor virginias but this smoke is an exception.. well worth the extra money. by the way i found it got slightly better after the tin was open for a week..

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)

When I first got a pipe, I tried Burley Light with some other samples I received. I thought BL smelled good, but did not like the taste or aftertaste. I hadn't got the courage to smoke another Burley until reading multiple reviews here and on PSF.

After all the positive reviews, I ordered a tin of ABF. As the others have indicated, the tobacco quality is high, moisture is perfect, and the tin note is a bit citrusy.

I've smoked half of my first tin now, in my MM Diplomat cob. I liked the first bowl, but have now come to love ABF. I ordered several more tins for my cellar. I find myself coming back to ABF on a regular basis and wish it could be purchased in bulk. I really enjoy it and recommend you give it a shot.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

No I really don't smoke burley either... This is the non burley smokers's burley and a terrific flake to boot. Me, like many pipe smokers, I am not a big fan of burley. If I'm going to smoke a flake tobacco, its going to be a Vaper. I am so glad I was open minded enough to try this flake. This had alway been a 4 star reviewed blend on this site and most of all the older posts have this rated as a 4 star blend. Could the more recent reviews reflect a change in Solani's quality? Maybe? Like all Solani flakes, this comes in neat strips. It is a bit moist, but be very careful not to over dry it. The idea of other reviews to jar this is a good one. I strongly disagree that this tastes of cigarettes, however it could be a result of over drying. I generally like tobacco dry, but this flake seems to have its best flavor when just a tad moist. Aged Burley Flake is nutty and slightly sweet. I find it smokes best for me in a smaller bowl, like a group 3. Although Solani claims no topping, I am convinced that there is a very light one that gives this flake a very distinct taste. Solani makes no reference to chocolate and I don't think that is the taste I am unable to determine. I don't find that ABF grows bitter like many other burley's. A great change of pace from my rotation of English and Vaper blends. Highly Recommended.

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If you want to try 100% Burley it's the best choose than you can do. A successfull!

Cavicchi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cavicchi (5)

I just tried a tin of this, and being a Wessex Burley Slices fan, was not disappointed. I find this blend to be on par with Wessex Burley Slices, only a bit milder both in taste and strength. Good tin note, and very obviously a high quality tobacco that stays lit, smokes consistently, and stays cool and dry. I can only detect perhaps a slight flavoring, and it is so mild that I cannot really put a finger on what it is, perhaps chocolate? If you like burleys as much as I do, this is a must try blend.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great burley tobacco. It seems less strong than Peterson Irish Flake, more like Peterson 3P, but less soapy than both of them (from my point of view). I am more of a VAs fan, but when it comes to stronger tobacco I preffer burleys over latakia. So I recommend this as evening tobacco (or vacation), don't smoke at work :) it will calm you enough to spoil your "working performance".

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Very Strong

I might recommend this to the Burley lovers. In a smaller pipe and fully rubbed out, smoked very slowly, it is somewhat interesting: subtle sweet notes, occasional cocoa scent.

The cocoa scent is more evident in the tin. I don't know if it is natural or a topping applied to the tobacco. I do detect a honey casing which I believe is standard for all blends coming from this company.

Nicotine content is medium-strong.

Peterson Irish Flake, by the same company, has a similar appearance to the flakes, but has enough Virginia in it to make it more accessible.

In the end I give it only one star: it is one of the rare blends I have thrown out after only half a tin. I finally decided it was just taking up space.

Life is too short for mediocre tobacco.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very tasty for a Burley. As a comparison, MacBaren's London Burley is a lot less tasty, even though still an excellent Burley.

I recommend that you smoke it quickly because it will become bland within 2 weeks of opening.

The best Burley I have smoked!

matty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matty (21)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend is a nice change from Wessex Burley Slice. Though both very similar, Solani is a bit sweeter. The hints of cocoa and espresso are nice. This burley flake is consistent. Reach for it when you want a no nonsense smoke. Sun so hot, the clouds so low, the sea gulls filled the sky when I realize this is a great burley to smoke during any season of the year! However Wessex is my first choice.

Fencing_Phoenix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fencing_Phoenix (9)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a tin of this from a friend of mine, who said that it gave him a headache. As soon as it was handed over, I lit a bowl in my Peterson 264. About halfway through the bowl, I could understand why he might say that; he is approximately 160 pounds. Even at 6'4" and 226 pounds, I found that the nicotine strength was such that it made me a bit light-headed (something I don't particularly mind, as I like stronger tobaccos). If you're a man of smaller stature or weight (or simply someone looking for less nicotine), this may not be a great tobacco for you.

I thoroughly enjoyed this tobacco. Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with a strong chocolate smell that was reminiscent of baking chocolate. Upon touching match to tobacco, however, I was greeted with a pleasantly mild, sweet chocolate taste. It does tend to smoke a bit hot, but with a burley flake this is to be expected. Respect it and take it slowly, and it will reply in kind.

kidwithgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kidwithgun (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

still a rookie to burley blends, i find the ABF quite similar to Mac Baren's golden extra, done a bit better however. tastier. unlike the golden extra (although it taught me how to smoke burley blends after some effort) i don't seem to have to look for the natural chocolaty and nutty flavors of this blend, rather they find me with ease. overall i liked that with every draw an emphasis on a different flavor came. of course it isn't a complicated blend by any means, but also look for hints of dark roast coffee and some holiday spice, as these flavors jumped out at me at times throughout the bowl on several occasions.

room note: smells like i'm trapped in the middle of a bog fire. (if there's ever such thing) i'm not familiar with many different burley notes quite yet, but this one is much more strong, mossy and musky than the others i'm acquainted with as of now. put yourself on top of a mossy roof next to a stone chimney billowing with smoke in the middle of an overgrown, muddy swamp somewhere in the humid, deep south.

and i've never complained about the "burley bites" for if i have been bitten it was because i deserved it. the aged burley flake smokes cool and evenly if packed correctly and smoked at an appropriate pace. even after a re-light, although i had some issues getting reunited with the flavor, i still had no problem getting a cool smoke. so once again with a completely different blend, i'm still failing to understand everyone's problem with the "harshness" and "bitterness" of burleys, and like i said, i'm still new to non-aromatics.

i notice that ABF has a 4-star rating overall. i hope that i haven't found the best of the burley blends already, and although this may not sound like a great review, so far i've enjoyed this blend more than the others. only problem i really have is the price. i find it hard to believe this is 50g, even after rubbing it all out and relocating it to a 3-ounce jar, it still appears to be half the amount i receive of other blends. i'm counting how many bowls i get out of it...

side note: decent nicotine kick about knocked me on my ass. don't smoke on an empty stomach ha ha.

pps: it's been 20 mins and i still taste roasted moss. and yes, i love it =)

definitely recommended.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I loved edgeworth sliced, but when I ran out of it for good I bought a can of this hoping that it would be a decent replacement It will have to do try it for the love of burley!

ItarPeyo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ItarPeyo (19)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

From a freshly opened tin the moisture level was a tiny bit to the moist side. Flakes pack perfectly with folding. The tin aroma is magnificent. My trouble with this blend is it seems to taste kinda flat to me and burns hot, so at times feels like smoking hot steam.

It's obviously high quality tobacco, just not for me, probably. Keep in mind that the tin is not very good at keeping the tobacco fresh and moist, so transfer into a jar if you won't smoke it within 1-2 weeks after opening

Mr. Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Mac (8)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Very nice chocolatey, incense-like flavor upon lighting up. Good nicotine kick for how tame of a smoke it is. Only problem is the "burley bitters": the bottom 1/3 of the bowl starts to taste like the wet end of a cigar, even if I dry it to a crisp and smoke slowly. Then again, my non-aromatic, non-english, non-VA miscellaneous pipe is a Trypis freehand the size of a Daisy ham. This might be tastier in a fully dedicated tall, narrow bowl.

I like having a burley on hand for when I've destroyed my VA palate with latakia. Makes for a nice change of pace. ABF is expensive, though. I don't know if I'll be buying any more.

Archangel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel (22)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The manufacturer's Website states that this flakes contains a "breath (hauch in German) of chocolate", so I would understand it as a "touch" of chocolate.

Beautiful, dark and thick flakes with, indeed, a chocolate and nutty aroma. They rub out rather easily to any personal preferences.

The smoker is rewarded by a rich nutty and chocolate taste that will sometimes release a bitter note, especially when the pipeful has to be relighted.

Being an all Burley flake, you need to smoke it within the first week of opening because the flakes dry very quickly and the taste becomes very bland, which is typical of Burleys.

But when the tin is smoked quickly, it brings a nice rewarding experience that is worth its high cost.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

This is by trusted reviewers I know the ultimate straight burley flake. Goes to prove that I'm more of a virginia smoker since it didn't rock my world but obviously a quality blend that is still enjoyable for a non burley smoker. A solid 3.5 stars & must try blend.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Chocolate casing, classic Danish type tobacco as per company description. For me a light aromatic. Nothing special for I prefer my flakes with as much Virginia as possible. This flake would be great without the casing but should still be good for Burley smokers.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm letting this one sit awhile in the cellar. Not mellow enough for my taste. The wife plugged her nose at this one (a first for her!) saying it reminded her of cigarettes which she doesn't tolerate in the house. Guess I'll be smoking this one on the porch.

CaptainEnormous Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptainEnormous (17)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ultra-high quality tobacco. Lovely presentation. Honest, stout blend.

ABF arrives in a square tin containing 18 or so chewing-gum sized flakes of tobacco, each perfect for a pipe full. The tin aroma is of deep, aged tobacco with cocoa overtones. I've been told that the aging process for tobacco can cause a natural chocolate aroma. That may be true. But I'd still wager that ABF is cased with cocoa to some degree.

Fresh, this blend burns well after being fully rubbed out. Smoking a folded up flake can be more problematic, since it does arrive fairly moist fresh from the tin. Drying time removes some of the chocolate note and optimizes the blend's burn qualities.

This is a Burley, clearly. But there's none of the bitter edge that other predominantly Burley blends exhibit. ABF is smooth and refined, even almost sweet at times. But unlike VAs where sweetness can often mean airy, ephemeral smokes, ABF burns heartily and carries plenty of Vitamin N. It's a joy to smoke. Easy to work with, difficult to overheat. And supremely satisfying.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)

tin appearance: darkchocolatecolored-chunky-flakes neatly arranged on top of each other in three rows.

tobacco tin smell: smells like chocolate...wonderful. sweet chocolate.

Perfect moisture right out of the tin, into the bowl. Fold, twist and pack...that easy.

after lightning: The smoke is smooth smoother the smoothest. Very subtle sweetness, subtle nuttiness, and boy....i taste some chocolate.

Conclusion: A very elegant tobacco, honest,pure in flavor...overall dark-flavors. It's hard to describe, what do i mean with dark-flavors?!....transformed into musical terms: minor-flavors. little tart-flavour, earthy, humus-flavor. Natural...fantastic if you like this kind of blends!

give it a try.

==Update=== Another baccy, which made in on my Hall-Of-Fame-List!!! ABF is like Nate King Cole's voice: smooth & entertaining

i dont wanna miss this anymore...THANK YOU MR. SOLANI!!!

==update= i did some research. There is a very gentle chocolate-casing. me love chocolate!!! ...just smell the tobacco...if you dont smell chocolate...i dont know, give your nose a salt-treatment ;)

=another update== January 9th, 2010 this blend is marvelous! Thank you Mr. Ruediger!!! Enjoy this blend accompanied with a nice mellow redwine. Fits together, just like Mike Tyson and a some red boxing gloves...5 Stars.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)

As a first point, I would like to settle a discussion below about who manufactures this flake. It is Kohlhase & Kopp in Germany (which also manufactures Robert McConnell, Rattray's, Perterson, Ashton, Sillems, Reiner, Chieftain's and Ilsted).

As we are on the manufacturer topic, Orlik (which manufactures, among others, Sail, Erinmore, Orlik of course, Stanwell, Clan, Flying Dutchman and W.O. Larsen)was was taken over by Villiger Stokkebye which also produces Escudo, Troost, Skandinavik and Balkan Sasieni, or Orlik took over Villiger Stokkebye for most of its manufacturing.

Now Orlik (or Villiger Stokkebye?) belongs to the Scandinavian Tobacco Group which manufactures, among others: Clan, Flying Dutchman, Erinmore, Orlik, W.O. Larsen, Alsbo, Benson & Hedges,Danske Club,Half & Half, Richmond's and Three Nuns are now manufactured by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group. I would guess that Villiger Stokkebye still produces Sail, Troost, Skandinavik and Balkan Sasieni.

Is anybody confused yet?

To return to my tobacco review, I loved Aged Burley Flake. The flakes are thick and the tin aroma reveals notes of molasses and nuts. These notes are present in the taste which is completed by a rich tobacco taste.

This flake burns slowly and evenly and provides a lot of satisfaction and pleasure.

I don't know what to say more. A great Burley flake!

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Being mostly a VA and VA/Per smoker, with a fondness for the occasional aromatic and Latakia blend, this tobacco was a bit of an adventure for me.

Let it begin, then. Opening the tin, the slices resemble the cut of University Flake in compactness and packaging. The tin aroma is completely different, though: Burley is immediately identified by its inherent cocoa-ish note with traces of brown cane sugar and good coffee. A hint of fruitiness makes it more interesting.

Just like UF, this blend is pressed very tightly; it's nigh impossible to light folded; rubbed out it takes to the match readily and burns slowly and smoothly right down to the very bottom of the bowl.

The taste is not nearly as flamboyant as my favourite VAs, nor as sweet. There is the cocoa note typical of Burley, together with the accompanying dry room note which is not bad at all; as in the tin aroma, traces of sugar and coffee are in there, too. The smoke is remarkably cool, though.

Overall, a pretty good smoke; for a pure Burley, it is purely excellent. Alas, I cannot give four stars to a blend this expensive that has so little excitement on the palate to offer compared to, e.g., Marlin Flake or many pure VA flakes, which are also much more affordable. Recommended because it is truly exceptional for a Burley, and it handles very well.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first Solani blend I have had a chance to try, and I am VERY impressed. Easy to smoke whether you like to rub, or fold and stuff your flakes. I haven't found a need to dry this tobacco as the tin humidity works nicely for me. The tin smells of Raisinettes. The room note is slightly sweet and rather natural in that it doesn't seem encumbered by all the goo and flavors that your every day drugstore burleys are treated with. Relights were not an issue. Neither was bite or that burley "bitterness" that often comes with smoking too fast. The flavors are very full and clean. The nic hit isn't as big as I thought it might be, but you can tell something is going on, especially when you get to the 3rd bowl in as many hours. I can't find any flavors added to this, but it creates so many of its own: Nuts, stone fruits, leather, cork, herbal notes like wormwood, vanilla and so many more. They all fade in and out and never clash. The only downfall is that I don't think I can make this an all day puffer. After a while it leaves my throat and the back of my hard palate a little tingly and acidic feeling. This didn't happen after just one bowl, but several. All in all top notch baccy that REALLY earns its 4 star rating!

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I was anxious to try this blend as I have been smoking and thoroughly enjoying Wessex Burley Slice. Both of these tobaccos are manufactured and tinned by Kolhase & Kopp in Germany. The tins, sans cover label, are the same. The inside paper package - tobacco leaf artwork - is also the same. The flakes, however, are arranged differently. ABF are stacked lengthwise in 3 rows, whereas BS are are packaged on their sides, lengthwise, as bacon would be packaged (overlapping-style). The tin aroma is more sour (in a good way) and tangy with ABF. Burley Sliced had more of a sweeter, molasses tin aroma mixed in with the aroma of high grade Burley. The BS has a slightly darker appearance in the tin and ABF has some lighter leaf in the mix. I believe the description of ABF listed above after the tin description heading to be in error. According to the K & K website and the description of ABF in the Dan Tobacco Catalog, there is the addition of chocolate in the blend as a seasoning before the pressing. If you think about it while smoking, and puff slowly, you can detect these chocolate notes.

As far as the smoking experience, they both were smoke-able right out of the tin. No problem with packing or lighting for me. In both cases re-lights were minimal for flakes that were so fresh. What I did find after several smokes of each is that the BS has more in the way of molasses flavoring, not at all cloying, whereas ABF was more sour/bittersweet. There was no detectable molasses flavoring with ABF and it had more body. Its nicotine content I judged higher than BS as it tended to produce a fullness in my throat. The sour/bittersweet flavor was apparent with ABF and not with BS. Neither produced any moisture in the heel of my pipe. I conclude after many bowls of each that ABF and WBS are definitively different from one another, but both provided an excellent smoking experience. They both use high quality Burley leaf. I am glad the two are different as switching from one to the other adds variety to the smoking experience. ABF is a solid smoking experience for those who favor high quality Burley. Compared to the legendary Edgeworth Sliced, I find ABF far superior and one of the best Burley tobaccos that I have ever smoked. 5+ stars and one of my favorites.

UPDATE 10-1-10: For those interested in such things, my last 4 ABF were arranged differently in the tin. My first half dozen tins had the tobacco slices stacked atop one another in 3 rows, side by side. My last 4 tins have the slices lying side by side as bacon in a package - identical to the way K&H packages their Wessex Burley Slice.

I would also add that ABF improves even more so with aging as it brings out a very nice champagne-like taste to the smoke. Best smoked when dried out totally to the touch.

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my foray into the world of burley and I have to believe that I could not have picked a better tobacco with which to start.

The tin aroma is magnificent--hints of fruit and chocolate. The flake is beautifully packed and ready to go in terms of moisture content.

It rubs out nicely, burns even and cool, and tastes of a great blend of dark chocolate, nuts, and coffee. The bitter finish was unexpected but reminiscent of a good strong coffee--not too overpowering and complementary to the rich tobacco taste.

A very nice change of pace from my usual virginia leaf. Very nice! Five stars.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Solani made a great offer with this blend. The true tobacco smell from the tin is very inviting. The flakes have a good humidity level to smoke immediately. At your own choice you can also air them a bit. These can be rubbed and pack easily. However I prefer to pack them without rubing.

Lights easily. It has a cool, very dry and very delicious smoke. It also burns very slow. You can enjoy a relaxing and long lasting real tobacco taste with it. It is not very sweet. With a slow and relaxed puffing you will taste its less sweetness rounded with the pure tobacco bitterness. This natural flavor is catched at the beginning with the very first puffs and lasts till the end of the bowl.

Just perfect for the true tobacco taste lovers!

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Burley lovers take note. Get this. Easily one of the best I have ever had. If for some reason you should try this and not like it, send it to me! I'll take all I can get!

Morgoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morgoth (22)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I would echo the sentiments of our brethren who prescribe the excellence of this Burley blend. A strong tobacco, with the taste of walnut and dark chocolate. Best when not overly dried on a sideboard.

Highly recommended.

A companion infusion: a cappuccino...or two.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

4 stars, it's all been said. The only thing I would add is that I love Prince Albert and MacBaren's Golden Blend, both good burleys but this is in a whole different ballpark, I could see people who normally don't like burleys loving this stuff. A must try blend. Price is the only minus.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)

Wow, just wow. This is the best burley I've had to date, and probably ever will have. I will probably purchase another tin in the future and let it age for a year, just to see how it reacts to aging...

It smells of coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and slightly of dried fruit. There's a nice depth of flavor, the "nuttiness" of the burley comes through, a unique coffee/chocolate undertone, and a smooth dark sweetness.

It smokes very cool, so feel free to rub it out fully. My flakes were fairly dry upon opening the tin, so they didn't need to be dried more than 15 minutes.

Now, the nicotine is sneaky in this blend. It doesn't smack you in the face like FVF. Rather, it sneaks up on you half-way down the bowl you've been enjoying for the last 30 minutes. So, don't smoke this on an empty stomach, just say you've been warned...

I have smoked this blend in both a briar and a cob dedicated to burleys. The briar had more depth of flavor, while the cob was noticeably sweeter. So I'd definitely recommend trying this blend in different kinds of pipes to see how it reacts.

KINGCOLE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KINGCOLE (10)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I started smoking Edgeworth flake just in time for it to be discontinued. I am delighted to find a more-than-worthy substitute in this blend. I find that SABF has a bit more depth and complexity that did EF. As noted, it delivers flavors of bread crust, toasted nuts, and hints of black coffee and cocoa with a touch of sugar. These flavors may be too subtle to be appreciated, at first, by those who enjoy VA flakes; however, if given a chance this flake offers a delightful change of pace from the mown hay, brown sugar, and dried fruit flavors of VAs. I must stress that SABF is not anything like Prince Albert or his relatives. Rather, it is most closely related to Five Brothers, albeit with several added layers of polish and refinement. I like to think of SABF as the sixth brother - - the one who left the farm, joined the Navy, saw the world, went to college on the GI Bill, and has ever since distinguished himself as a gentleman and a scholar without ever forgetting his roots. SABF lights easily, smokes cool and dry, and does not bite. With its moderate strength and flavor, it makes a great first pipe of the day.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

One of the more inviting tin aromas I have met, this ABF. Rich, deep, dark tobacco and overly ripe pears in the orchard, lots of brown ones on the ground, watch where you step.

The flakes are nicely done. Moisture is about right. This one takes a light and burns nice and cool. Very cool burning. No throat irritation like I get with the straight VAs. No bite potential. In the bowl there is that earthy burley nuttiness with a raisin-like thing going on along side a cup of black coffee, French roast I'm guessing. I'm not overwhelmed (not even whelmed) by the nicotine. A word of caution, be careful not to snort at a joke with the pipe in your teeth or you may blow tiny embers on your smoking jacket (or t-shirt in my case).

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is beyond a shadow of a doubt the finest burley flake ever to fill a pipe. I would imagine this is a great seller for Monjure Impoting and yet another homerun for Steve Monjure. Thank you Steve for brining this great flake to the USA!!!

Sniper3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sniper3 (26)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

ABF at first blush looks like a high quality tobacco. You can see great attention to detail in its packaging and presentation. A class act all the way. This is based on a fresh tin. Gave it about 30 min of drying time after I fully rubbed it out. May not have needed it but it made me feel better. Took some attention in packing - no big deal. Lit easy. Stayed lit for the most part. Tasted as expected from a full burley blend of this nature. Would not say its for the new pipeman, has some strength that could overwelm. I set it down for a short rest during the smoke to keep some of my cognitive functions. If you enjoy a quality burley blend - give it a try. Some say its too expensive. Life is too short to argue over pennies. Unless you have found a way to smoke 6 feet under.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable

not my cup of tea this one! too strong and too full of taste..

strawalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
strawalker (14)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my favorite cob blend, I like to rub it out well and load the pipe loose. It has a great burly flavour that starts out mild and fragrant but picks up intensity as you smoke through the bowl to a sweet tasty finish. It never bites, is cool, and is very consistent throughout the smoke, and from tin to tin. No surprises, just a damn good Burley.

Update 2011 August: Same as above, not once through maybe 20 tins have I had quality issues. Very good blend.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)

I debated with myself whether to give this three or four stars. On the one hand, this is as good as straight burley can get. It reminded me of Edgeworth RR, but of an obviously higher quality. Same chocolatey, mouth-watering smell in the tin, but with very little sweetness in the flavor. There's a bit more smoothness and sweetness in SABF, not QUITE as much of that annoying dry mouthfeel that I get from most burleys.

But in my book, burley needs something besides burley to make a really great tobacco. It's like if someone tried to play a round of golf using only their putter...impressive if he breaks 100, though that score isn't that great in itself. 4 as a straight burley, 3 in comparison to other tobaccos.

Update 7/29/09

This, along with G&H's Kendal Kentucky, is the finest burley tobacco I've ever smoked. Very flavorful and well behaved. If you love burley, definitely give this a try. It gets better and better the more I smoke it and is in my permanent rotation. Upgraded to a solid 4 stars!

Original 3/26/09

I should start off by stating that I'm not (yet) a huge burley aficionado. I generally prefer virginias and vaper blends and if they have some burley mixed in a la Reiners Long Golden and it works, that's fine. I find straight burley a little too one-dimensional and lacking in complexity. But I agree with Beaupipe's review - complexity isn't supposed to be here.

That said, I very much enjoyed this tobacco. It's a no-frills beautiful burley flake with a top note of licorice and perhaps a few other things as well, although I don't taste some of the potentials mentioned by the other reviewers, which I attribute to my rookie status as a burleyphile. This is just a great straight forward smoke for when I'm in the mood to "go natchel". I found it performed best in a meerschaum or double walled clay pipe, both of which tamed the Burley Beast and reduced the potential for tongue bite while allowing for a bit more rigorous puffing. Aged Burley Flake is definitely something I'll return to, although it'll probably be a once a week or so thing.

If you love straight burley and you haven't tried this yet, wait no longer. This is a winner.

ErnieQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErnieQ (6)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First, let me start by respectfully correcting one reviewer's comments below. This is NOT produced by Orlik of Denmark...this is produced by R.L. Will in Germany. Also, with 20 years of burley fanaticism under my belt, and good relationships with the importers of both the fine Wessex Burley Slices and the Aged Burley flake I can say with the utmost certainty that the two are NOT "exactly the same"

To clarify: The Solani has a greater proportion of Flue Cured which accounts for it's slightly darker color and stronger body and flavor. What does appear to be the same, however, is the method of casing which seems to be a traditional (For Burley)combination of Cocoas, Licorice and perhaps a drop of rum.

Strength: Either way, The Solani Aged Burley is certainly a great tobacco. I would call this a full strength+ blend..while certainly not as powerful as some of the Lakeland tobaccos, this flake has a potency that, combined with it's chocolaty smoothness, can sneak up on you! (Wessex, while full-ish bodied, has a slightly nuttier flavor and decidedly less kick.

Flavoring: As far as a top note, this seems to be topped only with a bit of molasses as a humectant. The aromas of cocoa and (ever so slightly) licorice seem to be leftover from the casing process (used to mellow the tobacco and remove bitterness).

Room Note: The "Old Pipe Shop" aroma from fine burley's like those made by Peretti are extant here, but somewhat overpowered by the dark fired which lend a bit more "Tang" to the aroma.

Taste: Nutty and full with a deep dark sweetness.

Those who smoke McB Navy Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced, Wessex Burley Slices, or Peterson University flake and wish to try a fuller bodied relative should smoke this wonderfully well done flake.

Counselor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Counselor (10)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a simple blend of several types of burley, toasted. You'll pick up notes of nuttiness (walnuts and cashews), occasional mild sweetness, a bit of earthiness, but mostly the taste of tobacco (for want of a more descriptive term). There is some good vitamin N as well, but nothing to get worked up about--though as a (mostly) reformed cigarette smoker, I may be underestimating this based on other reviews below. I give this 4 stars because it is extemely smooth, never bites and always satisfies. I'm laying in a bunch of tins before the new SCHIP taxes hit. Cheers, Counselor.

Very Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is one of the very few straight, unflavored plain Burley flake available today, this is a top quality tobacco with beautiful flake cut, this is an excellent change of pace when you are in mood for just plain unflavored burley, the flavor is nutty but somehow bland if it is smoked all day long, the nicotine level is enough high, finally this is a good quality burley tobacco for an occasional smoke, I don?t see myself smoking this tobacco every day. I have one tin that I have opened 2 years ago, it is still there, only half empty.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

A great Sliced burley flake very similar to Edgeworth Sliced but not entirely the same. Burley smokers seem to like this stuff and for good reason. Great Burley flavor in a very smokable sliced version. Smokes cool and dry.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I?ve got to start smoking bad tobacco, I feel like a kiss ass giving four stars out for everything. This one really really deserves it though. Beautiful thick light flakes laid out in the tin like an engagement ring, all neat and pretty. The scent is sweet, honey and mead, aged tobacco. I folded one flake into a large Radice Hawkbill, two charring lights; it?s a bit moist right out of the tin, and then two hours of bliss. Besides the subtle sweet rich tobacco taste I swear this flake made me feel smarter. I normally shy away from straight burley blends as most of them taste like cigarettes to me, not bad, just, well, boring. This weed is not boring, it reminds me a bit of Orliks golden slices only richer and nuttier, almost like reiners Long Golden Flake minus the touch of perique and richer and nuttier. Pick your favorite flavor adjective and add it in, this is a fantastic smoke, I?ve smoked three bowls of this and am ready to leave it at the top of my rotation. The downside? I have to wait for the mail to bring it to me, it?s not carried locally. I?m either going to have to be proactive or pony up express mail. I can?t imagine that cellaring this could make it any better except the way that delayed gratification sort of makes things better in a masochistic sort of humiliating way, or the strength you feel by exercising your iron will. Four stars with little stars as asterisks that footnote four more stars. Excellent.

PipeSmoker45ACP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmoker45ACP (11)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A wonderfully rich and nutty tobacco that smokes dry and cool with no bite. Grab a flake rub it out and load up. Beautiful.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)

We have here a beautiful flake broken down in what seems to be equal proportion of dark, medium and light-golden brown. The flakes are thicker than most and require a bit more effort to properly rub out to the smoker's preferences.

The tin aroma is nutty and somewhat impregnated with a sweet-molasses like-aroma. The first impression is delectable! The moisture level is higher than usual but becomes dryier after less than a week, making the leaf more manageable.

Easy to light and smoke, it has a tendency to be slow burning, even when rubbed out. The taste range varies from sweet to pure tobacco with occasional bitter episodes. The bitterness frequencies seem to increase when, for some reason, I will finish the pipeful over a couple days period. When smoked the same day, it seldom happens.

Aged Burley flake is definitively interesting the first week, when the nutty-sweet flavours dominate, but it eventually becomes a unidimensional smoke with only pure tobacco taste. Which is a pity! I give it 2.75 for complexity but 3 for the perfect level of nicotine.

UsaRet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UsaRet (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my "GO TO" Burley, since Edgeworth is now in the history books. If you were an Edgeworth smoker you will like this, just a notch under in the nico department but more refined in all other ways.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For me, to date, Solani?s Aged Burley Flake is the Gold Standard for straight Burley or blends. For starters I have to admit I behave poorly with flake tobaccos. In brief, I now know that for me to enjoy a flake, a flake must be sufficiently dried out for me to derive a pleasurable smoke. So I first let it dry out. ABF tastes solely of Burley tobaccos. It has sweetness to the smoke that is very clean and understated- do not think aromatic. The Burley flavor crests as you advance into the bowl, and yet, no bitterness often found in lesser Burley?s. And the nicotine, hell the Surgeon General would swear ABF the devil incarnate if given the chance. This is a spectacular tobacco every serious piper must try. It is more user friendly than University or Irish Flake, and does not leave the room with a cigar like scent. It is full of strength but not overbearing in flavor or a chore to smoke. This is not in my daily rotation, but is always in my reserve.

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

This is hands down my favorite burley blend. It is full bodied, rich, and yet has some subtlety. It has all the roasted nuttiness that is characteristic of good burley plus a cocoa undertone and a slight dried fruit sweetness. The aroma is rich and clean. It has little aftertaste, leaving the palette clean. I've smoked three tins of this tobacco and despite smoking it in different sizes bowls it always smokes cool and lacks any bitterness. It also blends well. It is pricey, but the quality justifies the cost.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This one is such a no-brainer...just read the tin description!

1) contains dark brown Burley from Kentucky, light Burley from Brazil, and white Burley from Malawi. 2) a unique toasting process to make the blend slightly sweet. 3) a natural blend with no additives or flavors.

It's a great Burley Blend (perhaps the greatest now available)...using the headers above as numberical values, it's made according to the following formula:

(1 + 2 + 3) = Brilliant Burley Bliss

peterwd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peterwd (1)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Quite simply this is the best Burley I have smoked.

I have been mainly a VA OR VA/Per smoker with occassional foray's into English and Balkans. Burley tobacco I have usually found either too mild or having tongue bite or at times both.

This Solani Aged Burley Flake is a delightful smoke, pure toacco taste.

I would say that if FVF is the best VA Flake, and Solani is the best Burley Flake.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Opening the tin, it took me a while to convince myself I really bought tobacco and not chocolate. For the smell and appearance said the contrary. Not that it is artificially flavored with chocolate, of course, for this high grade flake is 100% natural.

The flavor is very good, although one ought not to confuse heaviness with fullness of taste. This tobacco is more the first than the second. But the flavor is not bad at all. A little whisper of licorice, perhaps, or nuts. It never goes bitter properly, but the heaviness can also be confused with bitterness.

I did like it, more than Wessex Burley Slice, for example, but I will still prefer to soften it a little with a 30% of premium virginia or cavendish. A sacrilege? For many, yes, but for me there are no taboos if I will enjoy more. Isn´t milk added to chocolate?

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pipe smokers seem to fall roughly into two camps: those who prefer burley-dominated blends and those who prefer virginia-dominated blends. If you want to find out if you are in the former camp, try ABF. The flavor is straight burley, no spice tobacco, and no topping.

ABF comes in little flakes the size of a stick of chewing gum. You can rub them out, but I find that makes it burn too hot. (When this particular blend is too hot it doesn't cause bite like a VA blend, it just becomes very acrid and harsh.) I like ABF in a small pipe that holds one stick, folded in half and twisted back and forth to loosen up the flake.

The flavor is straight burley, which is often called "nutty", but I think that this blend is more "toasty" than "nutty". There are occassional faint hints of sweetness that show up, but nothing like a VA or aromatic. The entire bowl seems to have the same character, top to bottom, with the flavors intensifing near the bottom of the bowl.

And then there is the nicotine. . . This stuff is very strong. Using a small bowl is the only way to tame it.

ABF is a nice treat for burleyphiles, but it is very expensive, so I will savor the one flake remaining in my tin, then move on to other blends.

smokinj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokinj (19)

Didnt think i would like this blend(not a burly fan) BUT WOW love it!

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

My second blend from Solani........2 for 2. I have stayed away from most buley blend untill recently. This fine blend ranks up there with some of my beloved Va's. I Lightly rubbed out the flake, let it air out for 30 mins. The pack, light, and burn are exceptional. Plenty of pure tobacco flavor, with out any bight. The nicoteen content is up there also. I'll not be leaving my beloved ol' Virginny, but Kentucky now looks a whole lot better! RATE

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've not met a Solani blend yet that I don't like. This lovely flake is no exception. I normally rub this out and let it dry 15 minutes before loading. The tobacco burns slowly, to a fine white ash. I would describe this beauty as follows: think of MacBaren's Burley....a little less sweet....a little darker taste....a little stronger in the nicotene department.......very little bite......There you go.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Burley is my least favorite tobacco. While I do enjoy it in a very few mixtures, I would never have purchased a tin that was labeled as all burley, had it not been for the very positive reviews in tobaccoreviews.com. Aged Burley Flake is not you granddaddy's burley. In fact, it bears no resemblance to anything I've smoked in 50 years.

ABF is highly recommended to all, including those who, for whatever reason, have not enjoyed this fine leaf in the past.

My only disappointment is that ABF, unlike Solani's other tobaccos is available only in 50g tins.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I'm not into Burleys, but this tobacco is absolutely great. The natural earthy and nutty taste with no flavoring is improved by the toasting, producing a mellow, bite-free and cool smoke to enjoy anytime of the day (just not all day, due to obvious lack of depth and high nicotine).

Easily the best pure Burley for a pipe. If you love Stonehaven, give ABF a try. It won't disappoint you.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Update 10 SEP 07

Well, well...I've tried it in a briar pipe, and we don't get along...funny, I like it in a Meershaum, but dislike it in a briar!

I think my taste buds are just not compatible with the all burley flake.

Final verdict: I highly recommend it in a Meershaum, but cannot pronounce myself about a briar, because of the incompatibility of my taste buds with the Burley bakkie. If that makes sense to you lads...

Update 22 AUG 07

After 4-5 pipe fulls, I like the bakkie as much, it definitely goes with the Meerschaum; I haven't tried it in a briar yet, maybe later. I will review my impressions with the briar.

The taste is of pure tobacco, slighty nutty, sometimes a bit bitter but it never lasts long, a second or two. What I've noticed is that upon relighting, the first few puffs will be a bit bitter, sort of like a natural almond taste, then the pure tobacco and nutty taste kick right back in.

Being my first good attempt at an all Burley blend, I must say this leaf is certainly interesting. I get a high satisfaction out of it, especially on the taste side: this mixture is simply incitating me to smoke more and more! I'm sure the fans of Burley blends know what I am talking about...

I am impressed by Solani Aged Burley Flake.

I will rebuy this bakkie and it will now be on a regular basis! This mixture is, honestly, addictive.

I must upgrade it to highly recommended. This baby is a winner!

_______________________________________ 19 AUG 07

Solani's Aged Burley flake...so this is what burley is all about!

I am far from the disastrous experience of Cornell & Diehl's Safe Harbor Flake.

Before I say anything, I must confess: I am sold to Solani's blends, and I feel no shame about it, only pride and joy. Yes sir. But I am objective, nevertheless.

When I opened the tin, I was welcomed by mostly brown, dark brown and just a few golden shades; surprisingly, the Bakkie smelled like cigarettes, let's say Player's filters. More like Canadian than American cigarette tobacco... I was surprised by the tin aroma, this is not what I expected from an all burley flake, but it's only due to my lack of experience with that type of blend...I was anticipating something more like a nutty, somehow more sweet smell. But, mind you, the next day, the cigarette aroma is gone, replaced by the smell of solid natural tobacco with a tiny, very subtle sweetness in the background. Nice. And the flakes - real ones! are beautiful.

The moisture level is ideal and I couldn't resist filling up my Meerschaum immediately, 'cause I've been very receptive to all Burley blends recently. Out of curiosity, I guess...

The goddamn bakkie is great! I cannot describe the taste of it, the Meershaum still has some remains of Solani's whiskey, but barely already...the bakkie smokes evenly, the burning is easy and it has a subtle, very discreet nutty after taste combined with a tiny bitter, but not unpleasant, undertone.

Past third-bowl, the whiskey taste is gone, replaced by the burley. The Meershaum likes the all burley flake, I can assure you: this bakkie tastes like pure tobacco, nothing added. All it tastes like is pure, unaltered tobacco. Surprising but exciting at the same time!

Recommended - very diferent bakkie! I don't think it will become a regular smoke but I will buy more when I will want a different smoke to enjoy...

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

An exceptional burley flake. Very similar to Edgeworth Sliced, yet better than Wessex and a universe apart from C&D's disasterous Safe Harbor Flake.

It smokes long, very cool and provides lots of straight burley flavor. A definite 5-star tobacco.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Ordinarily a straight burley does not get my attention. Solani Aged Burley Flake is not ordinary. R. Will is always worth exploring and he does not fail here. Opening the tin is a great pleasure as you are greeted with a pure clean tobacco aroma. The flake is perfectly sliced and medium brown in color. It breaks easily for loading and burns clean to the bottom of the bowl. This has a nicotine kick so don't be fooled into thinking you can puff quickly and walk away unscathed.

Overall I enjoyed this tobacco but would not necessarily have it in my rotation. I will however smoke it again.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant

It is really nice to see all of the great Burleys that are now being blended. This great leaf is no longer associated just with junky drugstore blends. Now you have wonderful Burleys like Uhle's 255, Pease's Barbary Coast, Wilke's Nut Brown Burley and Wessex' Burley Flake. All being wonderful tobaccos in their own right, although my personal favorites are the tobacs from Uhles and the Wessex flake.

Solani's entry is very, very similar to Wessex' Burley Flake, which itself reminds me of Edgeworth Slices. Solani's entry, however, is quite a bit stronger. This tobacco comes in flake form and is relatively dry. Break it up a bit and pack - but don't worry too much about it. Easy to light and keep lit irrespective of the preparation. Burns very dry. A bit of dottle but not too much. Full burley taste (perhaps toasted), gently sweet (in a natural burley manner - not cased), good aroma. Healthy kick of nicotine.

A worthy entry and something you should try if you are a Burley fan - particularly if you are a fan of Edgeworth. But it is stronger to me.

High marks all around although a bit too full for all-day consumption.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

The story goes that Rudiger Will worked on this blend for a year and still was not satisfied. Just prior to giving up, he experimented with toasting at various times and temperatures, finally finding the right combination to bring out a subtle sweetness that one tastes in Aged Burley Slices.

Subsequently I have discovered my favorite burley blend of all time, displacing former favorites such as Haunted Bookshop, Edgeworth Sliced, Nut Brown Burley, and Burley Slice by Wessex. With all the anxiety we're feeling about the effects of the anti-smoking movement, we sure have a lot of great tobacco blends to choose from, don't we? It seemed that the loss of Edgeworth Sliced was going to leave us without a top-shelf burley flake, then along comes Burley Slice and now Aged Burley Flake. Lucky for me, Aged Burley Flake is just perfect, IMHO.

Its nutty taste and perfect smoking characteristics make it the one burley flake that I can smoke all-day long. In the morning with a cup or two of coffee, ABF is about as good as any smoking/beverage combination as I have found. If you're still mourning the loss of Edgeworth Sliced, you obviously haven't tried Aged Burley Flake.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)

First of all, I love all tobacco. I am not partial to any particular type of blend. I love VA, VApers, English, Balkan, Burley and good aromatics. With that said, here is my review of Solani Aged Burley Flake:

The day I ordered my tin of this blend I had also ordered a tin of Wessex Burley Slices. When they arrived I noticed that the tins were identical with the exception of the label. The interior packaging is also identical including the little picture of a Burley leaf. I will not compare these two tobaccos but I did find it interesting that there was no difference in the packaging.

The Solani flakes are pliable without being too moist. I smoke flakes unrubbed so I fold two flakes lengthwise then fold them once over width-wise. I place this plug into the bowl with the bent part of the tobacco facing the bottom of the bowl. I thrn gently work the top of the plug around so it makes a nice tight pack yet with a good open draw.

The flakes light up quickly and evenly. The initial taste is a bit of rasin-like flavor followed by some good dark nutty Burley taste. The smoke is very smooth and mellow. There is little to no sweetness during the smoke, just a nice nutty smokey full-bodied flavor that grows in strength as the bowl progresses. It provides a very good olfactory (through the nose) taste that compliments the flavor that the mouth receives. There is very little bite even when producing some huge clouds of smoke. It also smokes quite dry and needs only one pipe cleaner throughout the entire two-hour smoke. It burns slow cool and easy.

Solani Aged Burley Flake leaves the pipe clean and burns down to a fine light grey ash. There is no mouth fatigue so you are ready for more as soon as the bowl is complete. The nicotine content is pretty high but not overpowering like some ropes can be. This is a true Burley without the sweetners or perfumes so this may not be the best choice for a beginner. For those who really love a good honest Burley, this is it!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (137)

This is the newest in a series of burley flakes, this time by the incomparable Mr. Wills.

This is a true flake, mostly brown and darkish with some lighter strands, that only needs a little breaking or rubbing to get the full benefit of its rich, burley flavor. Overworked terms, but earthy and nutty are the plain truth, but a notch on the richer side. Never bitter. Cool. About 15 flakes in three stacks in the tin. One flake plugged in fills a size 3 or small 4 bowl. I think the toasting (a la McClelland?) improves the natural flavors immensly. Some spicy flavors from the Kentucky migrate but no bite detected.

A comparish with other flakes of the gentry:

Solani Long Golden Flake -- lighter with only some white burley and sweeter with bright virginias and a little perique. Smooth. Not intended as a straight burley flake but good for comparison's sake. (Milder than Solani 633, their full virginia/perique flake.)

Wessex Burley Slices -- elegant and sweeter with both burley and some virginia, with a note of brown sugar and/or licorice. Not as heavy as Edgeworth or Age Burley Flake.

C&D Safe Harbor Flake -- lighter and milder yet with a faint top note (licorice?). Not a true flake but a broken flake. Cool. Favor fades near the bottom but nice. Seems all burley and nutty.

Edgeworth Slices (England variety, no longer made but stashed by many). A thicker flake with a slight molasses or licorice top note. Cool and elegant but a tad heavier than Wessex or C&D's. An old veteran. Good body. Must be smoked up in the opened tin or preserved in a few weeks (some 35 plus flakes), as the flavors fade leaving a dry tasting, uninspiring tobacco as the time passes. A long, slow burning smoke. Now expensive if you can even find it.

Aged Burley Flake is a bit bolder and heavier than most of these (about as full as Edgeworth), with both heady brown Kentucky burley and mild white burley. May be a touch of virginia but no scenting is picked up. A good alternative to the heavier English-type brown flakes with burley, such as Peterson's new Irish Flake (bold and scented a little), G&H's Brown Flake (unscented version; mostly virginia but quite good), and Ogden's Walnut Flake (also with virginia but hard to obtain in U.S.). ABF is more forgiving IMO.

I found the taste as satisfying as the best rich burleys blends from the past, such as Edward's Sebring or Colonial, but in a new toasted, flake form. This is not a weak or bitter burley, but real good burleys, perhaps the highest class in a combo yet.

For the bigger flavor and burley fans. (Cetainly not as heavy as a full English or true Balkan blend.)

Slow burning and tasty. With this cool blend at your side you won't have to flake out over global warming.