A skillful mixture of three aged burleys - dark brown burley from Kentucky, light burley from Brazil, and white burley from Malawi - Southeast Africa. A very natural blend with absolutely no additives or flavors - a true burley blend.

Notes: Blender R.L. Will developed a unique toasting process to enhance the natural sweetness of this blend. No sugar has been added.

BrandSolani
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Taste

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Yes, Solani has come out with an elegant Burley Flake that far surpasses the best Edgeworth ever produced (IMO, of course). I have smoked this regularly over the last several months and will continue to do so.

The flakes are not large and rub out easily as the moisture content is not too heavy. The leaf burns cool, dry and slowly - which, I believe, contributes to the cool smoke. Unlike the cheaper Burley blends, this one does not get bitter near the bottom, and you'll be glad because each puff is a true delight.

You don't need to think too much about this blend as you smoke it. What you get with your first puff is what you'll get with the last; a smooth, semi-sweet Burley taste that is not heavy on the palate and leaves you wanting another bowl.

It just about seems to be the chic thing to say this one of, or is, the best burley blend made today. It has a deep cocoa taste, a bit of nuttiness, a little wood, and is slightly bready, with a light brown sugar and molasses. The white burley adds a very mild sharp note in the background, and some strength. They say there's no cocoa or chocolate added, but I am a little suspicious of that claim. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. It burns slow, requires some relights, and the deep, rich flavor remains consistent to the finish with very little moisture left in the bowl. No dottle. It rewards you with a nice after taste that slightly lingers, and the room note won’t offend a normal human being. Has no dull or harsh notes, and it will not bite. Can be an all day smoke for the experienced smoker.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It's not like Solani ABF really needs another rave review but I can't help myself. This is truly some sublime burley leaf. The flakes are roughly the size of a stick of gum, and are right away at perfect smoking moisture. The tin aroma is a weighty dark dried fruit scent, reminiscent of currants or sultanas. As for preparing ABF, I have had great results using the fold and stuff method but I prefer to rub them out one at a time with each smoke. I typically place larger pieces in the pipe first and then top off each bowl with smaller bits to aid combustion.

It took me a little while to appreciate this tobacco and to find my preferred method for enjoying it, but once I did - WOW what a smoke. And this tobacco only gets better when removed from the tin and jarred up for a spell.

What amazes me the most about this tobacco is that when smoked in the right pipe (I prefer a small pipe with this one), there is slight underlying honey like sweetness that really starts to come through just after the initial light. Sweet smoke flavor from a burley!??? Yes. And the more time I have spent with ABF, the more this subtlety has become apparent to me. Perhaps there is an added topping? Whether it's just some magical leaf al-natural or one hell of an amazing topping, I really don't care because ABF burns cool, even, and flavorful regardless of my cadence. As the bowl progresses, the faint sweetness disappears giving way to a rich deep and somewhat piquant tobacco flavor with a side stream aroma reminiscent of fruit wood smoke.

Also I should mention that I am officially among the ranks of the nicotine impaired and usually a strong dose will have me reeling. That said, I have experienced no adverse effects from smoking ABF, even on days where I have indulged two or more times. Excellent stuff. 4 stars all the way.

Update 7/29/09

This, along with G&H's Kendal Kentucky, is the finest burley tobacco I've ever smoked. Very flavorful and well behaved. If you love burley, definitely give this a try. It gets better and better the more I smoke it and is in my permanent rotation. Upgraded to a solid 4 stars!

Original 3/26/09

I should start off by stating that I'm not (yet) a huge burley aficionado. I generally prefer virginias and vaper blends and if they have some burley mixed in a la Reiners Long Golden and it works, that's fine. I find straight burley a little too one-dimensional and lacking in complexity. But I agree with Beaupipe's review - complexity isn't supposed to be here.

That said, I very much enjoyed this tobacco. It's a no-frills beautiful burley flake with a top note of licorice and perhaps a few other things as well, although I don't taste some of the potentials mentioned by the other reviewers, which I attribute to my rookie status as a burleyphile. This is just a great straight forward smoke for when I'm in the mood to "go natchel". I found it performed best in a meerschaum or double walled clay pipe, both of which tamed the Burley Beast and reduced the potential for tongue bite while allowing for a bit more rigorous puffing. Aged Burley Flake is definitely something I'll return to, although it'll probably be a once a week or so thing.

If you love straight burley and you haven't tried this yet, wait no longer. This is a winner.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (68)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It is with great smoking pleasure that I write this review.

Now, this tobacco won't be for everyone. If you are looking for a dazzlying symphony of flavors that have pizazz, you're barking up the wrong (tobacco) tree.

What I will say is that Solani has probably written Burley history with this blend. I have never smoked a Burley that has such a high quality and enjoyable taste. And it's a flake! (I love almost ANY flake tobacco, almost)

When you open this tin up you'll be greeted with a nice clean cut flake that is dark for the most part but has smatterings of light leaf. The flakes are nice and orderly compared to those of Samuel Gawith flake tobaccos (which look like a form of beef jerkey sometimes). It would be a good idea to let this dry for at least 10 minutes as it's pretty moist out of the tin.

This tobacco has a decent dose of Vitamin N and has a full medium to strong taste (I rated it as just medium but it's definetly full and best after a nice meal). I wouldn't smoke this on an empty stomach. The room note is what you should expect out of a burley, somewhat like a fine cigar but not as stringent. You can get whisps of cocoa and a nice nut, almost like a Brazil nut. I imagine this is what burley tobaccos of yester year tasted like.

What's interesting about this tobacco is that it doesn't give that burley mule kick to the back of my throat that I usually get when smoking them. If you've smoked a burley (especially Kentucky) you know what I'm talking about. Matches860 on youtube said it best and I'll paraphrase, "You're not going to get those English blend flavor pops, but you know what you're going to get with each puff". And that my friends, is a wonderfully full taste of high quality burley tobacco.

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Carter Hall.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

They're not kidding about the sweetness. In a blind test I'd be likely to mistake the leaf for Red Virginias. What a wonderful smoke, completely contradicts my original perceptions of Burley as a component.

Like many pipe smokers, I switched over from cigarettes, my abandoned affection for Camel Wide Lights. Cigarettes are primarily made from Burley, yet I developed an early distaste for the leaf in my pipe. I found the nutty taste harsh, and had a single pouch of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed hidden in my desk drawer going on three years. It never seemed to go away. I had given up on the stuff until recently, when I was given a blind sample of a blend I had come to love. I found myself shocked to learn that it contained Burley, which I mistook for Turkish leaf, because it had a pronounced spicy note that I associated with the leaf.

It became my immediate and perhaps flawed conviction that Turkish varieties are nothing more than Burley seeds grown upon another soil, lacking the nitrogen that would make them robust as their more diverse counterpart. Immediately I opened up that old pouch of Edgeworth and had what I can only describe as a revelatory smoke. Spice filled my nose and for days straight I could only smoke the remaining contents of my fast dwindling pouch. Where I once shrugged the demise of the blend, I now mourned its absence, and took it upon myself to restock my desk drawer with a capable supply of exceptional Burley blends that I could further sample the leaf.

Aged Burley Flake hit my chart immediately, as I figured it might be a worthy alternative to Edgeworth Slices, of which I had only encountered praise. Having never smoked a Burley flake, I found the novelty exciting, as I've said the blend delivers a smooth, almost Virginia like experience. Sweet, mellow in strength, this is a contemplative smoke, delivered in a beautiful tin, packaged in subtle brown shades.

The tin, square and metal in nature, exhibits a flaw plaguing others of its sort, namely Peterson's University Flake and Samuel Gawith's offerings, including Squadron Leader and Full Virginia Flake. They fail to adequately contain moisture, leading the contents to dry quickly. I found it necessary to transfer the already dried contents to an old McClelland tin, complete with a dampened cloth to rehydrate the blend. My enjoyment was not hampered in any way by the actions, though I find the process an annoying and avoidable step should these blenders modify their designs. These things should be built for their practicality, rather than aesthetic sensibilities, however attractive they may be.

My senses still muddled by a recent cold, I've found the similarities with my more familiar Virginia flakes greater than they likely are, and I apologize for speaking out of line. I was reminded of the disparate nature when a passerby entered my den in despair. "Are you smoking something different," I heard. "It smells terrible." Indeed, my affection for this hobby has compromised my sense perceptions--a tradeoff I wouldn't exchange for all the riches in the world.

I wondered then why I had disliked Burley so much in my smoking, and came upon a theory that it was an aversion to the cigarettes themselves, which had only really served as a nicotine delivery system, the tobacco itself irrelevant. The chocolate undertones now enveloping the remainder of this dwindling bowl, the spicy note engulfing my nasal passage, I look back upon this transition with amusement. I smoke a pipe, bitches.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

I'm going to say right now that to my palette, this is the best straight burley on the market today, on the stout end of the flavor spectrum. There are a few blends on the lighter, sweeter side of the genre that are of equal quality (Uhle's 00 comes to mind), but none that carry Aged Burley Flakes robust flavor profile.

Presentation is dark brown, uniform but loosely pressed flakes that rub out (or stuff) easily. The tin note is of fine chocolate.  True, unadulterated, top-notch burley taste: deep, rich cocoa flavors dominate, with a background of parchment, macadamia nuts, and just a hint of white chocolate on the tip of the tongue. The flavors are consistent from true light through the end of the bowl.  Even a good burley can get a bit ashy and monochromatic towards the end of the bowl, but there is none of that here.

Aged Burley Flake is ready to smoke right out of the tin, takes a march well, and burns cool, slow, and dry. This is an exceptionally cool smoke for such a deep, rich burley blend. There is no heat here, and no bite.

This is a blend that's been on my hit list for a long time. But only when my beloved Burley London Blend was discontinued and increasingly harder to find did I finally pull the trigger. Wow am I glad I did. I've searched and searched through other burley blends, many of them very good, but this is my new favorite.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

I'm not a big burley fan but this is a great tobacco. I've been enjoying this blend for quite a while, but had not had any in a few months. I found the open tin in my stash and it's totally dried out, and I mean crispy. Loaded it in a little Herter's Angler's pipe, which holds just enough for about a 20 minute smoke. Obviously there was no problem lighting it.

People talk about "nutty" flavors, and I agree, but to me it's the earthy kind of nuts like brazil nuts and a hint of filberts. The first half of the bowl was pure earth, like fresh garden dirt. It warmed up to a combination of nuttiness and earthiness and was just plain good all the way down. To be honest I've forgotten what it tastes like fresh, but I can vouch that it's good even when crispy dry.

I have more tins, and hopefully I'll be trying some soon that's fresher. Regardless, this is a really good, tasty blend. For me it's meant for sipping. It is not overly complex, but it has enough variation and nuance to keep it interesting to the bottom if you slow down and enjoy it. Easily a four star burley.

Michael Kindt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael Kindt (18)

Even though everything superlative said about a tobacco has been said about Solani Aged Burley Flake, I'm going to say some more superlative stuff about it because it is, without question, very superlative.

This was the first tobacco early in my pipe smoking hobby that I fell in love with. Back in those days, I was playing around, like many pipe smokers do when they're just starting out, trying different things. I liked some aromatics, some over the counter burleys, some crossovers, but no tobacco truly wowed me....until Solani ABF.

"Great God Almighty!" I cried out during my first bowl, scaring the crap out of my dogs.

That was long ago, in the mists of time. I am a different man now. There is a patch of gray in my beard and Alanis Morissette, whom I used to be a fan of, now sounds like a cat being tortured.

I still love ABF, though. I always will. Nostalgia is a big part of it....coming home late at night after busting my ass in the kitchen (I worked as chef in those days) and having a few beers and a bowl of ABF. It was the perfect decompression and probably why the patch of gray in my beard isn't bigger than it is.

It is a simple tobacco, really, all burley, from three terroirs, blended and aged and prepared with such skill that it is elevated beyond its components. Musty, nutty, rich, smooth...it's simply fabulous.

I wad and stuff it, like a big ol' chaw. I wad and stuff all my flakes. Rubbing out flakes makes them taste somewhat muted or, perhaps, muddled. Might be just me, though. Drying a flake a few hours before you devour it also improves things.

By this point in my hobby, I have found many wow factor tobaccos, some of which I like better than ABF, but as the first, it will always have a place in both my heart and cellar.

Darby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darby (15)

Blender R.L. Will has achieved a minor masterpiece in this truly elegant blend of burleys. This is the first (and thus far only) pipe tobacco that was so wonderfully rich, restrained and well balanced in its dark grandeur that it prompted me to pinch a small strip into a tiny plug, and pop it between my cheek and gums, just to slowly savor the flavor from a different angle. More on that later**.

The flakes here are a moist and lovely chocolate brown (the Kentucky dark), with some highlights of lighter brown (the Brazilian light) and beige (the Malawi white). The tin note has a restrained nutty aroma with hints of ground coffee, and only a modest hint of dark sweet malt. Some drying time is a must here, but your patience is richly rewarded.

There’s so much going on here that I’ll skip ahead to mid bowl, by which time the flavors have fully settled and come into focus. Now, most of us pipers are familiar to some degree with the gentle nuttiness that a good burley brings to the table, but the triple dose of perfectly matched top quality burleys here takes things to a WHOLE new level. Here, a rich complex nuttiness takes center stage ... picture a large mortar holding a palmful of freshly roasted brazil nuts and filberts (with shells & bitters intact), add some toasted carob pods, roast chicory and cocoa nibs, some medium roast coffee beans, some dark malt extract, a small curl of Saigon Cassia, and perhaps a chip of black licorice candy, then crush it all up with a lightly charred wooden pestle straight from the fireplace. Try to picture the combined aroma, and that’s as close as I can get you.

In addition to all that, there’s an equally wonderful lack of major flaws or balance issues. The sweetness is restrained - neither dominant, nor submissive. The Kentucky dark also brings a subtle nuance of smoke. The natural alkalinity of the burleys is present but not onerous, and the gentle bite actually compliments the slightly tannic and peppery finish. It’s a very impressive multi-layered balancing act that somehow all works, despite (apparently) a complete lack of added flavors, sweeteners or aromatics. Color me impressed. The only minor crime here is that this brand currently only comes in tiny 50 gram tins (nothing larger) that are not vintage dated, nor fully airtight once opened (tip: repackage in glass, if you plan to consume slowly).

This is a rare find, and highly recommended, both for straight up smoking, and for blending some tasty complexity into lesser fare. A perfect four stars from me.

---------- ** Taste: Smoking definitely brings out more of the complexity than mere saliva, but for the record, a tiny pinch exudes some of the same notes of coffee beans, carob and chicory I mentioned earlier, along with a pleasing astringency.

Pipe Used: Grabow Royalton

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)

In appearance these are dark chocolate flakes with a generous measure of of light tobacco spread throughout. The layers of leaf are on the loose side and rub out easily.

The tin note gives off generous cocoa aromas with woody undertones and the sort of caramelisation one finds with well cooked roast beef. I apologise for the bizarreness of that comparison, but it took me awhile to locate where I had smelt that aroma before and that really is what it reminds me of. There is also a soft malty sweetness.

This is a very slow burning tobacco but will require some attention. Rubbed out, a single flake lasts me well over an hour. One would be hard pressed to find a tobacco that delivers better value.

In terms of its flavour while smoking, this is not a tobacco that has been processed into something different to its burley nature, in the way virginian tobaccos are transformed by being pressed into flakes. Rather, this is a burley that has been tamed. Aside from its slow burning qualities, it has no bitterness at all and is exceedingly smooth. I did not detect any particular flavour profile beyond a creaminess and a malty, but not especially sweet, taste.

Of special note is how the ph of this tobacco has been balanced, at least to my palate. I did not need a drink to accompany this tobacco and did not find myself with any excess saliva at all. Nor does it seem to have much of a kick nicotine wise. Of course YMMV.

This is a very good all day smoke, surprisingly gentle, that would go well with a real ale and good friends. Honest tobacco, made well.

This is a quality burley smoke. There is good, solid tobacco flavor and none of the bitterness you get sometimes. This smokes like a slightly fuller version of Uhle's Blend 00, and I do not detect any topping. I think there is a little in Blend 00. I have enjoyed this a lot. Even if you think you don't like burley, you should bum a few flakes from a friend and give this a try.

This and Uhle's Blend 00 are about as good as burley gets for me.

Pipe Used: various briars

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When it comes to high Burley content blends, I'm generally not a fan. My chemistry says "bite" and a "Metallic" taste ? It's not the strength that I have a problem with. This one is somewhat different, strong-yes, but more of a Cigar note blend with slight hidden sweetness and some slight dark chocolate notes. I don't get the usual "bite or "Metallic" taste, a good thing. This leans more towards McC Dominican Glory than say Petersons Irish Flake. All in all, a quality strong dark smoke that should get 4 stars IF I was a Burley fan.

Pipe Used: cob

Similar Blends: McC Dominican Glory.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

At first: This flake ISN'T unflavoured NOR UNSUGARED! - K&K states on their website "Chocolate Flavouring", and only mentions White Burley as ingridient.

And the official additive list reveals it has ~5mg of flavouring and ~168mg of added sugar on 1000mg of tobacco: https://service.bmel.de/tabakerzeugnisse/index2.php?detail_id=104712&site_key=153&stichw_suche=solani&zeilenzahl_zaehler=14 I just hate this kind of false advertisment (usually known from K&K..) "oh, a oh so natural blend, no sugar added." . . . 168mg of sugar added... as well as PG!

I also wouldn't argue that there's some Kentucky and maybe Brazilian Burley in it. Especially when looking at the flakes it gets obvious that several leafs were used as the colours range from medium-brown, brighter speckles to straight up black sparkles. So the description is a straight up lie from A to Z...

Condition out of the fresh tin is quite moist, but somehow it can be lit and smoked easily right out of the fresh tin. The flake slices stick to eachother and one can have a hard time separating them. Drying it out will enhance the spicy and the flavour profile changes a bit, and I feel the flavouring fades from airing out. To me it seems the drier tobacco is, the more (natural) taste it has. The chocolate becomes more natural, Burley-ish cocoa and dark chocolate instead of the added choco-flavoring thats present when smoking a freshly cracked tin. All in all the smoke is more smooth and more natural to me when dried out.

The tin smell is that of deep, dark toned cocoa, it is nutty, offers rich bread and a whiff of raisins I perceive as well. When dried out the bready scent intensifies, gets less chocolaty, yet the cocoa-note is still there.

The taste is just a genius as it's simple imho. The main thing I'm getting when smoking from a freshly opened tin is a good and intense nutty and bready flavour with lots of tobacco qualities. Cocoa can be found, but the bready-nuttiness prevails to me. The raisins I had smelled from the tin isn't to be found in the taste. The decent bready aroma is reminiscent of whole-rye bread, like that of a good Virginia blend. Pure Burley goodness. When smoking it dried out and matured for several months in a tin/jar the added chocolate flavouring also fades in the taste and becomes more natural. Typical Burleyesque cocoa-tone. Either way (moist- or dried-out), this tobacco has a tangy and bitter tone to it, like that of pure cocoa-beans, or 80-90%+ cocoa chocolate, which I find pleasing. Decent spice throughout the whole bowl, as well as a "toasted" (like toasted bread) feel to it in the flavour and mouthfeel.

Solani's Aged Burley truly is a masterpiece of tobacco craftsmanship and breaks with the convention that Virginia has to be in almost any blend. So refined, multifaceted and just honest in it's flavour - yet no in its description...!!! Nothing fancy, just plain, but honest Burley taste that's far from being boring.

Pipe Used: Clays, Cobs, Briars

Similar Blends: Magne Falkum - Tullagreme House 12 (Tullagreme House).

Andya27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andya27 (9)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Until this tobacco I would have considered myself a Virginia and Latakia enthusiast. The Burleys that I had smoked previously had mostly been dark fired Kentuckys, and I find these tobaccos a bit too spicy for my palate. The one Burley exception - Semois (which I guess you could say really isn't a Burley but another plant altogether) is one of my favorites. So I wanted to try a Burley that wouldn't irritate my mouth. I enjoy stronger taste tobaccos, but not a tobacco that is spicy. And so my experiences with Burleys had been not as good as my experiences with Virginias. However, I have been enjoying Solani Silver Flake - even though it contains dark fired Kentucky - and is just a bit rough on my mouth. It's a tobacco that I can recognize as top notch, even if a bit spicy for every day smoking for me. So I decided to look for another Solani that I could try.

I read many of the reviews of ABF. It sounded like it was worth a go. And I'm glad I did. In comparison with all the other Burleys that bite or burn my mouth, ABF smokes very smooth. Plenty of flavor, and I must say that I find the room note to be very pleasant - just a warm, rich tobacco aroma.

This is a tobacco that comes ready to light right out of the tin. The flakes themselves are are wonderful to look at, hold, and smell - thick enough to hold together but not too thick - wonderful ranges of colors. Not overly moist. Superb tin note. On first opening the tin I was amazed that Burley could smell this nice. And the first smoke didn't disappoint either.

I cannot compare this with any other Burley, as I'm not a Burley guy. But I am a Solani ABF guy. I just purchased a second tin, and I'm going to lay in a fairly large stock to age for a year or two - not that it really needs it.

And so for the Virginia smoker who hasn't had much joy with Burleys - this is a great way to find out if you can possibly like Burley - or at least Solani's take on Burley. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than other tobaccos, but I have found both this and Silver Flake worth any premium that I pay. Just top tier tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney. Savinelli. Butz-Choquin

Age When Smoked: New from tin

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

First, the notes are interesting, no additives at all but the home page for Kohlhase & Kopp states that there is a hint of chocolate. I do think that chocolate is present. I know that good burley often has notes of cocoa in it anyway and it is present. It is smooth and creamy not sweet and when chocolate is added as a topping to straight burley it is often unnoticeable so I lean toward what the current producer says about the blend here. Now for the blend itself: First, it starts off as a Med. strength blend but the strength will build throughout that bowl until the last half will tickle the nose on the retro-hale which is one indicator that it is moving quickly toward the med. full range. At the match I get earthy flavors, dust, good rich soil, nuts, roasted grain, coffee notes too. There is a heavy alkalinity here elements of dark chocolate, and a slight floral essence picked up in the last half of the bowl primarily and only on the retro-hale that reminds me of red clover that has been cut, turned, properly dried, and ready for bailing. This is one of the best straight burley blends I have tried to date. I will always keep a couple of tins on hand.

Solani - 656: Aged Burley Flake.

This was the first Burley flake I reviewed, but since I've smoked lots of tins over about five years after the initial review I thought I'd re-post.

It's an absolutely perfect Burley smoke! Nutty, rustic, a tiny note of cocoa, steady burning, and no bite. It's simply a wonderful flake. I can't think of much more that needs to be said!

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Easy to rate, four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: All

Age When Smoked: Mostly new

Purchased From: Various

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Opening the tin, I found subtle aged grains, Oats & molasses, sweet bran muffins, nuts, dates, cinnamon and cocoa. The whole mélange comes out fruit, chocolate and scorched granola. This stuff was grown and aged by masters, all scents married completely but you're still able to pick out dozens of aromas if you take the time.

Rub, pack and light.

Very interesting. Toasted pure tobacco. Subtle roasted nut and coffee flavors. Simple, but tastes great. Aging doesn't seems to have changed the burley much, except it's softer and very well balanced. Because burley has virtually no sugar in the leaf, it can't ferment like Virginia or a few other tobaccos. But it's lack of sugar also means it's not as likely to burn your tongue. Remember: Burley also has the most nicotine of any pipe leaf. This stuff has a nice kick to it. Eat something first. And don't smoke it before attempting sleep.

I've never had burley presented this way. I'm very impressed. The blend of vastly different burleys, has mingled and married deliciously. The toasting makes the whole thing more interesting. Rustic but with style, begs to be smoked outside, but wherever you smoke it - this stuff is great. Room note is quite light and tolerable.

Goes onto my favorite list as a “Something Different” selection.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (94)

Solani ABF is a very tasty Burley flake with dark semi-sweet chocolate notes and some grassy flavor. I get a lot of woody/cedar notes from the Malawi Burley. The tin note is great with chocolate and some fruit. It also gets my approval for moisture content and combustibility. I sometimes find that I get bored during the smoke because it never changes but I can't fault it for that as I think that was the manufacturers intent. A straightforward, unadulterated Burley flake with a natural and robust sweetness.

Pipe Used: Briars, Cobs, Meerschaums

St.P3t3r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
St.P3t3r (2)

This is my first Burley Tobacco. I'm a fairly new pipe smoker and has only smoked blends like mac barens scottish mix, borkum riff bourbon, and Peterson, sweet killarney. And I found this very nice. Smokes very cool, and that comes from a newb, I'm a fairly hot pipesmoker, I puff fairly often, which usually makes the smoke a little hot sometimes. This tobacco doest bite AT ALL. it's very smooth, and has a lot more taste than all the other tobaccos I've smoked. It has no chemical undertone at all.

The taste probably tastes like burley, but I wouldn't know because this is my first tobacco with burley in. It was smooth, kind of sweet and relaxing. After smoking it for a little while you're left with a nutty, coco taste. almost like a hint of dark chocolate, and nuts. As I've only smoked tobaccos with fairly small amounts of nicotine this was a little stronger, but not overwhelming. Not too strong, but enough to get relaxed.

To any pipesmoker this would probably have a very nice roomnote. The aroma it leaves in the room is extremely nice. but to most people i'd think it would be about pleasant to tolerable.

Pipe Used: Small apple-shaped briar pipe

Purchased From: SolCigar Oslo Norway

Scupbucket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scupbucket (10)

Solani 656 is so good that I believe it actually contains some sort of cosmic nutrient that heightens my senses and gives me super human strength. My hair grows faster and thicker. I have a beard growing from my chest and vascular biceps that gets bigger with each puff of this gift from a higher power. It burns strong and cool and the smoke is so thick it can be chewed, swallowed, and digested. I would gladly give up my ability to taste KFC (original recipe) to have this delicious flavor linger in my whiskered maw for eternity. I'm being serious here... this tobacco is amazing! Take my money Solani!

Pipe Used: Dagner P3, Machelli Poker

Wish I didn't have to write this. Opened a tin of this about 3 weeks ago. Been trying since then to dry some out the way I like it. It's not possible. Laid a bowls worth on a paper towel like I always do. Usually have several blends drying at the same time. Dozens of blends dried over the next seven days, most in just an hour or two, except for one, That would be this one. Seven days and it was still as wet as it was when I put it out. How wet? Very wet. You can use dozens of matches to get through a bowl. This is unacceptable. I tried the microwave method next. 8 seconds, fluff it till it felt dry. 8 more seconds, fluff until it felt dry. Still takes dozens of matches to get through a bowl. I don't know how you folks managed this stuff. There must be a secret that I'm not privy to. Never got a good enough taste of it to properly comment on that. Also, you shouldn't pay any attention to the ratings of strength or such. I have no real idea of what they should be. I'm through trying. They should have named this Aged Humectant Flake.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

dryseason91 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryseason91 (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Somehow both rustic and refined in equal measure. Cube cut, it begins with a slightly flat mustiness that soon rounds out and deepens into coffee and dry cocoa. Typical cheap-cigar notes of some burleys are happily absent, giving way instead to dark malt and pleasantly bitter nut. A little earthiness waxes and wanes. Never grows harsh or sour. A classic, completely unique stroke of blending genius.

Pipe Used: Bent meerschaum

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

A Northern Breed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Northern Breed (16)

This stuff is just... perfect. There, I've said it, and I never thought that I would. And I am about to go say the exact same thing about Solani's 660 Silver Flake. R.L. Will must be one hell of a tobacco blender, because this tobacco (along with 660) is absolutely unbelievable. The beauty is in the simplicity, and as a great someone once said, "It is what it isn't." And yet, it is what it is, as well. It's just perfectly simple, and the simplicity is complex. Strange contradictions abound.

It comes in a beautiful tin, wrapped in beautiful paper inside, and the flakes are gorgeous, uniform little brown chewing gum sticks. They behave absolutely perfectly, whether you're rubbing or folding and stuffing. I must say, the flakes are a little thick for me to be folding and stuffing (and I don't fool with that often anyway, as I don't believe there is much benefit to be had by doing so), so I smoke it rubbed, and it's great. Lights easily, burns beautifully, never bites and is cool as a cucumber. Moisture level is also literally perfect. It is exactly how it should be. Is this blender even human?

The taste is really, really hard to describe for me. It is certainly not Carter Hall or Prince Albert, good god no. In fact, this is the PERFECT tobacco to give someone if you want to instantly make them rethink all those times they said they hated burley. It is nuanced, gentle, soft, yet creamy, bold, and nutty. It is the absolute, unchallenged heavyweight champion of the world of burley tobaccos, the Holy Grail of burley tobaccos.

BUY THIS STUFF. I hesitate to rant and rave like this, because for one, I hate to sound like a frivolous goof, and for another, I don't want all of you buying up all my 656 ABF! But really and truly, if you enjoy natural, straight tobacco, and you have not had this, you are missing out, big time.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I was anxious to try this blend as I have been smoking and thoroughly enjoying Wessex Burley Slice. Both of these tobaccos are manufactured and tinned by Kolhase & Kopp in Germany. The tins, sans cover label, are the same. The inside paper package - tobacco leaf artwork - is also the same. The flakes, however, are arranged differently. ABF are stacked lengthwise in 3 rows, whereas BS are are packaged on their sides, lengthwise, as bacon would be packaged (overlapping-style). The tin aroma is more sour (in a good way) and tangy with ABF. Burley Sliced had more of a sweeter, molasses tin aroma mixed in with the aroma of high grade Burley. The BS has a slightly darker appearance in the tin and ABF has some lighter leaf in the mix. I believe the description of ABF listed above after the tin description heading to be in error. According to the K & K website and the description of ABF in the Dan Tobacco Catalog, there is the addition of chocolate in the blend as a seasoning before the pressing. If you think about it while smoking, and puff slowly, you can detect these chocolate notes.

As far as the smoking experience, they both were smoke-able right out of the tin. No problem with packing or lighting for me. In both cases re-lights were minimal for flakes that were so fresh. What I did find after several smokes of each is that the BS has more in the way of molasses flavoring, not at all cloying, whereas ABF was more sour/bittersweet. There was no detectable molasses flavoring with ABF and it had more body. Its nicotine content I judged higher than BS as it tended to produce a fullness in my throat. The sour/bittersweet flavor was apparent with ABF and not with BS. Neither produced any moisture in the heel of my pipe. I conclude after many bowls of each that ABF and WBS are definitively different from one another, but both provided an excellent smoking experience. They both use high quality Burley leaf. I am glad the two are different as switching from one to the other adds variety to the smoking experience. ABF is a solid smoking experience for those who favor high quality Burley. Compared to the legendary Edgeworth Sliced, I find ABF far superior and one of the best Burley tobaccos that I have ever smoked. 5+ stars and one of my favorites.

UPDATE 10-1-10: For those interested in such things, my last 4 ABF were arranged differently in the tin. My first half dozen tins had the tobacco slices stacked atop one another in 3 rows, side by side. My last 4 tins have the slices lying side by side as bacon in a package - identical to the way K&H packages their Wessex Burley Slice.

I would also add that ABF improves even more so with aging as it brings out a very nice champagne-like taste to the smoke. Best smoked when dried out totally to the touch.

UPDATE 9-26-14: I'm into my 51st tin of ABF. After having smoked 30 tins of Wessex Burley Slice and into my last tin of Edgeworth Sliced (according to the tin produced in Holland), I would have to conclude that ABF, hands down, is the better of the three. I am primarily a Burley smoker and I have never had another Burley satisfy me as much as ABF. Along with Irish Flake, my two absolute favorite pipe tobaccos.

3pipeproblem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
3pipeproblem (13)

The best Burley I've tried to date. Have some in the cellar just in case, the current tobacco climate makes me panicky ! Great, refined flavor, very high quality leaf. It's been a number of years so details are a bit fuzzy, but if you love Burley this is a must try/ addition to the rotation. Without reservation : 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Briars, corncob

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tin

Jamey S Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jamey S (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

The first thing that took me is the sweetness on this one. This is, hands down, the sweetest non-aromatic I ever smoked. It took some getting used to: I set down with a strong, bitter coffee on a cloudy afternoon, expecting a heavy burley (Like 4th Generation 1931), and got a well-rounded, easy going Burley at first. This one came rather moist out the tin, and for some reason I didn't want to wait for it to dry a little. I folded the flake and packed my pipe It took me 3 matches to get it going, but it did, but the fact that it was moist influenced something else. As I sat there, trying to understand the blend, I got a tingling at the corners of my mouth. I shifted my attention there and realize I feel sweetness – actual sugars, at the sides of my tongue. The presence of the smoke in my mouth was incredible. Although sweet in my mouth, at the nose I could feel a bit of smoky smell, like the one you get from a very mild presence of Latakia (although this blend is exclusively Burley, or so it says). This smell goes away after the flake settled in my bowl. After 20 minutes, this blend gets heavy. I needed to go very slowly with it to not overwhelm my mouth (and I'm a slow smoker as it is). This blend won't change much down the bowl, which is nice. It remains nutty and sweet with a touch of cocoa flavor. It won't heat and will smoke very slowly. It will also require a few relights (although – I smoked it rather moist). It won't bite and will remain balanced.

This is truly a great blend and I think all pipers should try it.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320

Age When Smoked: 1 year

SiChange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiChange (39)

Tastes of toasted oats cereal with a very slight sweetness against dark smoky burley - surely some aged fire cured leaf here. Enjoyed the slow burn and hardly any rough edges and no bitterness. I found this much better dried out a bit when it was smoother and single light after the char did the trick. A good change of pace from Virginia flakes and sure to please burley lovers. Superior blend.

Calamiti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calamiti (66)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I like wild burleys. In the wild, the burley is quite a rough beast. It can severely bite an unsuspecting smoker, or choke him by the throat, or give him a bitter taste. Burleys are hard to tame. Very few blenders are really skillful enough to, which is why most of them would just kill wild burleys drowning them in pools of aromatic humectants and then sell us not the living thing but just its heavily perfumed dead pelt.

R. L. Will is an experienced and renowned beast-trainer. Today on the ring he presents us three live creatures of this kind: one from Africa, one from Kentucky and one from Brazil, all together on a single leash. I may just imagine how much skilled effort it took him to force these vicious predators to jump obediently through the ring of fire and to wag friendly their tails. They are tame to the tamest, as much tame as ever possible to make a wild beast by beating the hell out of it, by castrating it and by pulling off its teeth and claws. It's still alive and even plays tricks on command but it's just a shadow of its real self.

That's why one star. No fraud here, I got what I [wastefully] paid for: three rare live burleys. Three well-aged burleys. Three well-tamed burleys. Tamed to the point of complete blandness and dullness.

MickPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MickPiper (6)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Solani 656 is my first pipe tobacco and I love it. I quit smoking cigs and started smoking this. The taste is nice I find myself smoking more and more everyday. It doesn't bite. Takes some relights but it's good all the way through to the last bit.

edit- since trying 6 or so other tobaccos, this holds 1st place. with Peterson's Irish Flake at a close 2nd. As far as I know this is THE quintessential burley. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Missouri Merschaum

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (32)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love Burley, so I'm prejudiced, but I really enjoyed this blend. Complex notes like chocolate (but NOT chocolate flavour), floral, even incense (the best sandalwood). There are surprisingly few straight aged burleys around (this is the only one listed here); most of the burleys available locally are rather light. Leaf Only has an aged burley (which I can't review here as they are not a "blend" manufacturer) with an even more complex aroma, but this will have to do for now -- and it does, it does!

Comes as cut flake, which means you must rub it before packing your pipe. That to me is a plus: Cut or broken flake is generally stronger than other cuts, simply because it is denser, and I like the additional ceremony of rubbing.

Delicious, and particularly recommended for the experienced smoker who has grown tired of flavoured Cavendish and "English" blends with too much Latakia.

Pipe Used: Carey System, briar churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Fresh in tin

Purchased From: Goodfellas, Victoria BC, http://www.goodfellascigarshop.com/

JJ Sir Emmitt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JJ Sir Emmitt (17)

Aged Burley flake is simply superb. The flake feels a bit too moist out of the tin, however it burns fantastic. I have found rubbing it out and giving it a couple minutes of dry time is perfect. It burns nice and cool in the bowl, down to a fine ash. This blend presents the best of Burley based blends. With sweet flavors of carmel and coco, and molasses, along with a toasted nuttiness, earth, leather, and a a sharp pepper on the back of the palate and through the nose. There is a lot of complexity and flavor to this blend with out being overwhelmed by strength. This is a must try for fans of Burley.

Pipe Used: MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: Tobaccopipes.com

Similar Blends: Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz.

Ian K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian K (26)

My first smoke of this flake left me wondering what the fuss was about? Why so many rave reviews? So I decanted the tin into a jar and forgot about it...6 months later I was looking for something different from my cellar and decided to give it another chance, Now I have been rewarded with a very pleasant surprise...the blend has mellowed and dried nicely into a very pleasing smoke. I'm not repeating all the comments previously left with regards to burn and flavour but what I will add is if at first like me you found it not to your tastes then give it some time out of the tin and you may find yourself rewarded

Pipe Used: Savinelli delux 123

Purchased From: Bricks and mortar

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Solani 656, Aged Burly Flake is a Burly lover’s dream, thick and rich yet still soft and mellow enough to really relax with. The tin comes sealed (unlike Silver Flake), and there are two rows of nicely formed flakes inside that are wrapped in white paper, with a “tobacco leaf” seal. The flakes are mottled medium brown. Though they are moist, they smoke fine straight from the tin. I fold then roll a flake between my thumbs and fore fingers, then I stuff the loose plug that results into my pipe. It lights easily and burns down fine. Back to the tin note, it’s wonderful: deep cocoa, apricots, and buttered oatmeal over the rich, fermented Burly tobaccos, and this holds through the match and the smoke, except the apricots fade quickly, and the tannins rise slowly, sharpening the blend somewhat over the course of a bowl, but it's never bitter. There is ample tobacco taste here, for sure, top to bottom. If there is KY here, I don’t taste its typical “smoke” or spices. At the end, there are faint traces of anise. ABF produces plenty of smoke, and I love to just roll my eyes back in my head and take it easy. The strength is more strong than medium. The tastes are more medium than strong. Room note is terrific. Aftertaste is best-of-the-smoke, and it lingers.

Solani’s Aged Burly Flake is a great smoke, complex but not busy, in no way demanding. It’s an easy 4 stars. Try some if you can find it.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: fresh to several months

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Similar Blends: To be continued....

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I am really impressed by this tobacco's quality. It has a caramelish sort of boiled sugar undertone which I am loving. I think this is probably the best Burley based tobacco I ever had in my life. I cannot detect any Kentucky in it and I am not quite sure I am missing it. Not that it does not contain any, but the virginia leaf is somewhat missing. Sometimes it is nice to see how some tobacco will interact with other tobaccos, but but the main player here is the burley leaf. I am finding this smoke very robust and solid and it gets better and better the more you progress with your bowl. This tobacco is gonna get a 4 solid stars.

Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

There is nothing bad I can say about this. It smokes slow and cool and the flavor is the most perfect burley flavor I could imagine. Which will likely taste like nothing to the non burley smoker, but anyone who likes burley as I do will find it exquisite. It is most definitely my favorite burley to date.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

This handsome little flake is a real winner. This is my first foray into the house of Solani offerings. Based on the quality it wont be my last.

My first thought was that a pure burley flake would probably have a brawny nicotine wallop. Not so. I found this tobacco did not give me the spins at all. It pairs beautifully with a coffee and once fully rubbed out packs very easily.

The taste is one that is pretty unique. There is not much stereo typical "nutty" taste as most burleys hold. The flavor is a little hard to describe but very tasty and satisfying. The tin description mentions a sweetness, which is absolutely true, and reservedly appropriate. Not candy sweet, but mellow sweet.

The flavor this blend produces makes me believe I could smoke this as an all day blend. There are some subtleties to this leaf but that comforting baking bread feeling could be an all day smoke for me. The only problem with that is this stuff is not cheap. It is not over the top expensive, but maybe a little pricey for a go to blend. I would also be very curious to see what a couple years of age would do to this tobacco.

Overall an excellent smoke and a beautiful presentation. This tobacco will not be my last offering from Solani. Highly recommended.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

No I really don't smoke burley either... This is the non burley smokers's burley and a terrific flake to boot. Me, like many pipe smokers, I am not a big fan of burley. If I'm going to smoke a flake tobacco, its going to be a Vaper. I am so glad I was open minded enough to try this flake. This had alway been a 4 star reviewed blend on this site and most of all the older posts have this rated as a 4 star blend. Could the more recent reviews reflect a change in Solani's quality? Maybe? Like all Solani flakes, this comes in neat strips. It is a bit moist, but be very careful not to over dry it. The idea of other reviews to jar this is a good one. I strongly disagree that this tastes of cigarettes, however it could be a result of over drying. I generally like tobacco dry, but this flake seems to have its best flavor when just a tad moist. Aged Burley Flake is nutty and slightly sweet. I find it smokes best for me in a smaller bowl, like a group 3. Although Solani claims no topping, I am convinced that there is a very light one that gives this flake a very distinct taste. Solani makes no reference to chocolate and I don't think that is the taste I am unable to determine. I don't find that ABF grows bitter like many other burley's. A great change of pace from my rotation of English and Vaper blends. Highly Recommended.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)

Original review 11/2009- Four ounces into this tobacco, and I think I am in love. That says alot for someone who really does not, as a rule, like burleys. But, this is really starting to change my mind.

The body is very nice. The smoke is silky and smooth, not harsh and hot like most other burleys that I have experienced in the past. The maker here is clearly a very skilled and careful craftsman. There is truly a nut-like quality that has eluded me with earlier burley attempts. And a level of sweetness that is light but tasty. There are NO rough edges here.

This one pairs nicely with a strong cup of coffee in the morning, or whenever you need a refreshing break. Easily an all day tobacco, except for the price. But I am not one to mark a great tobacco down for the price. No matter what my pocketbook says, this is great stuff.

Update 09/2011- The stock of tins I have are smoking perfectly after the 2 year mark. This is the one Burley that I truly enjoy everytime I smoke it. Air time is needed with this one. I think the latest reviews are from people trying this without properly airing it. Two weeks of jar time with the occasional opening is the ticket. 15 more tins in storage, will try again at 3 years. Cheers!

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)

Solani's Aged Burley Flake has managed to attract superlatives like a naked Alaskan attracts frostbite. And that's a testament to the wisdom and taste of the reviewers on this site.

Taken in the right context, this is a remarkably pure, truly outstanding tobacco. It's beautiful to look at, redolent of cocoa and dried fruit in the tin, and it smokes as cleanly as any top quality flake available today. My occasional forays into the world of straight Burley are lifted by this lovely stuff.

What this delicious stuff lacks (and most 4 star tobaccos have) is complexity. Then again, looking for complexity in a straight Burley--even a mature one--is kind of like searching a pot-hole puddle for a nice juicy salmon. It just ain't there. And it's not supposed to be.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)

This is the newest in a series of burley flakes, this time by the incomparable Mr. Wills.

This is a true flake, mostly brown and darkish with some lighter strands, that only needs a little breaking or rubbing to get the full benefit of its rich, burley flavor. Overworked terms, but earthy and nutty are the plain truth, but a notch on the richer side. Never bitter. Cool. About 15 flakes in three stacks in the tin. One flake plugged in fills a size 3 or small 4 bowl. I think the toasting (a la McClelland?) improves the natural flavors immensly. Some spicy flavors from the Kentucky migrate but no bite detected.

A comparish with other flakes of the gentry:

Solani Long Golden Flake -- lighter with only some white burley and sweeter with bright virginias and a little perique. Smooth. Not intended as a straight burley flake but good for comparison's sake. (Milder than Solani 633, their full virginia/perique flake.)

Wessex Burley Slices -- elegant and sweeter with both burley and some virginia, with a note of brown sugar and/or licorice. Not as heavy as Edgeworth or Age Burley Flake.

C&D Safe Harbor Flake -- lighter and milder yet with a faint top note (licorice?). Not a true flake but a broken flake. Cool. Favor fades near the bottom but nice. Seems all burley and nutty.

Edgeworth Slices (England variety, no longer made but stashed by many). A thicker flake with a slight molasses or licorice top note. Cool and elegant but a tad heavier than Wessex or C&D's. An old veteran. Good body. Must be smoked up in the opened tin or preserved in a few weeks (some 35 plus flakes), as the flavors fade leaving a dry tasting, uninspiring tobacco as the time passes. A long, slow burning smoke. Now expensive if you can even find it.

Aged Burley Flake is a bit bolder and heavier than most of these (about as full as Edgeworth), with both heady brown Kentucky burley and mild white burley. May be a touch of virginia but no scenting is picked up. A good alternative to the heavier English-type brown flakes with burley, such as Peterson's new Irish Flake (bold and scented a little), G&H's Brown Flake (unscented version; mostly virginia but quite good), and Ogden's Walnut Flake (also with virginia but hard to obtain in U.S.). ABF is more forgiving IMO.

I found the taste as satisfying as the best rich burleys blends from the past, such as Edward's Sebring or Colonial, but in a new toasted, flake form. This is not a weak or bitter burley, but real good burleys, perhaps the highest class in a combo yet.

For the bigger flavor and burley fans. (Cetainly not as heavy as a full English or true Balkan blend.)

Slow burning and tasty. With this cool blend at your side you won't have to flake out over global warming.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)

First a commentary: I notice that there are often debates of the manufacturers claims on tobacco's; it is essentially, "Are they lying about the ingredients or not?". What I find funny is that the tin says what it says and then you read 10 reviews and 6 say there is and 4 say there isn't... so to me this shows that it is not clear and then I ask why question the manufacturer. We taste what we taste and it is there or it isn't. If it is to you, then it is there. Perception is reality.

This tobacco is a finicky one in my experience. In the right pipe it is very good, in the wrong pipe it is like a mouth full of soot. The problem I have is that it is not easy to tell so once I found the one briar I liked it in, that is where it is going to stay. In a meer or a cob this is consistently good but different in each. The tin note is like nestle's quick and some straw, a very nice smell. Simple and light. The smoke, as others have said is very straight forward and uni dimensional, but that is good in this case. It is a light grassiness to it, lightly sweet and slightly bready. This is where I break from the crowd. I smell the chocolate in the tin but get no such flavor in the smoke, which is unusual for me since most Burley blends have a chocolate note to them. This is lauded as THE Burley and I don't get it at all. There is a slightly woody/light honey/vaguely floral like taste to it that is very pleasant but also, for me was hard to pinpoint. I have often felt like using "nutty" as a descriptor, but I cannot tell you what nut it tastes like. The best I get is like acorn, but I have never eaten an acorn...nor do I know if that is actually categorized as a nut. The mind is a terrible thing. Light finish and crisp aftertaste. Burns well and clean.

Pipe Used: meerschuam, cob and briar

Age When Smoked: new tin

JuanOrez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanOrez (17)

Easily my favorite burley. Very high quality and never bitter like some other burley blends. I have yet to find another burley that matches this tobacco. Very cool, tasty and slow smoke.

OhioTony76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OhioTony76 (24)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Wet from tin. I dried and smoked a Flake right away. Meh. Left in a mason jar for about a month. Tried again. Rubbed out the Flake. Dried it a touch from being crispy. Bam. Incredible smoke. Reminds me of coco puffs cereal in a way but light and subtle with a only a hint of sweetness. Now I rub out a Flake the night before and put it in its own jar, to air out and open up but not to dry out.

MikeHaggarKJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikeHaggarKJ (22)

Nutty, rich, deep, only very very slightly sweet. Not monotone in the way that Burleys usually are, there's also no cardboard notes which I find in most Burleys.

Absolute masterpiece.

Davetopay2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay2 (16)

Most folks before me have this one well covered. This is top shelf stuff, not noticeably flavored, very natural, and classically burley.

Just right sized flakes, easy to tend, easy to smoke, and it's keeps your attention.

If you are learning about natural tobaccos, without gen usual casing and flavor goo, this is a good place to start. This flake is also great for breaking in your new briar without nasty specters and ghosts.

Get some.

Pipe Used: Briars, cobs

Purchased From: Some place.....

ElMog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ElMog (30)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Well well, no added flavors, yet cocoa is listed... To me, this does not taste cased or topped in any way. Beautiful flakes, too moist out of the tin, rubbed out and left to dry about 30 minutes, they smoke perfectly. Tin note: dates, dark chocolate. Taste: brown sugar, molasses, something slightly spicy and herbal, as in a good earl grey tea, and fleeting floral notes. De-licious !

Pipe Used: Savinelli Primo Fumo

Purchased From: 4noggins

Reagold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reagold (25)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

First, I guess they must have changed the formula over the years, because the older reviews mention the high nicotine content, but the newest (mine included) finds a mild to medium nic hit.

Anyway, highly recommended, instant favorite. It´s a great tobacco, delicious, the added chocolate aroma is there just to enhance the natural burley flavour. Beautiful flake, easy to work, burns great.

THis is one of the few smokes my wife don't complain at all, and has a great after-taste.

Col. Stuffinpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Col. Stuffinpuff (14)

Though it typically starts off a bit nondescript, the flavor definitely kicks in a few minutes in. This is a deep blend, never harsh, and a prime representation of the quality of good burley.

Semi-sweet, burns a long time, and always agreeable. Nicotine is a touch above medium.

For what it's worth, I always cube cut this one.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The only reason I don't have 20 pounds of this is price. There are Burleys almost this good that sell for less that are easier to cellar. That said, you'll find no better tasting, easier smoking Burley than this. Nutty smooth with a chocolate sweetness. It's a delight and pairs fabulously with a cup of coffee.

America has a tradition of great Burleys. Every American pipe smoker should make the rounds IMO. Or you could just start and stop right here. Burley doesn't get much better than this.

Dr.James Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.James (28)

Burley, the whole burley, and nothing but burley, or so they say... Dark fired Kentucky burley is rich toasted chestnut and a touch of molasses. The Malawi brings mild spice and a fermented quality akin to cocoa nibs. Brazil imparts sugarcane and leather to the mix. I've heard reports of a cocoa addition but I find that to be an illusion on the pallet. Burns clean and slow, very dense and will require relights. The nicotine strength of this blend can sneak up on you, a word of caution to the over eager. Smooth and consistent but will develop in the bowl. Will not bite your tongue. May leave a bit of moisture in the bowl. Has a unique room note. Simply put, Solani 656 epitomizes No nonsense

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Now that I am writing I have almost finished my tin and the flakes left in the tin are a bit drier but when opened where rather moist and a bit sticky but so delicate to the touch as I have never encountered before. Still easy to fold, crumble or peel and pack.

The tin note is spectacular: ground cocoa, maple syrup, molasses, honey… It makes want to chew it! Ok, we know that almost all tobaccos are slightly topped, but especially Solani markets its non-aromatics as containing as little additives as possible. However it’s difficult to believe that this delectable aroma comes all from the tobacco itself… - Yep, I went to the Kohlhase & Kopp website where it states that this tobacco is aromatized with chocolate, for heaven's sake: http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/tabak/solani/aged-burley-flake-blend-656-853.html

Despite being moist it lights easily and stays lit needing only a few relights and smokes to the end. Let me get this straight, this burns so evenly, smoothly and slow as no other tobacco I’ve ever smoked. It does not produce much smoke and it forces you to rather sip than puff, especially at the moisture level at which it comes. It burns so exquisitely slow that it makes an experienced smoker out of a newbie like myself. Obviously a premium quality tobacco as Solani advertises itself.

The problem is that it does not produce much flavor when smoked. I tried to enjoy in good will, I folded it, I crumbled it but not much was happening flavourwise. I tried it moist and then I dried it and found that it enhances its strength and flavor a bit but at the cost of becoming a little harsher and at the loss of its remarkable slow burning qualities…without me ever finding the golden mean.

Still, I got some hints of cocoa and a taste of natural tobacco and being a Burley it possess a slight nuttiness, but it’s very mild for my taste when moist…How I wish a little more from that wonderful tin aroma translated to the smoke! Some reviewers have mentioned that it’s fairly monochromatic. Well that is to be expected somewhat, being a straight Burley and I mostly agree, although I found that while up until the middle of the bowl it is extremely mild, then on things get slightly more interesting, a honeyed sweetness is accompanied by a toasted aroma and progressively the smoke gets more robust without however losing any refinement. All this in a small degree though.

Room note is almost innocuous and nicotine strength is medium, an early morning rather than evening smoke I’d say.

Overall I have to say that this tobacco leaves me ambivalent and slightly unsatisfied. It’s like it promises something that it fails by a small margin to deliver. I will state again that it is the tobacco with the best burning qualities I have ever had and the tin note is stunning. And although I am in the process of ever trying new tobaccos I think will buy 656 again hoping that I will get a better tin or find the elusive golden mean. I’ll give it four stars, but for me it’s a 3.5…

Pipe Used: Corn cobs, Stanwel

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)

Well....this is the gold standard for burley flakes. There is not more to say that hasnt been said. Its very flavorful -- nutty with hints of cocoa and brown sugar. A suble taste of almost creme brulee sweetness and is very creamy. Its cool and simply put; perfect. If you have not had good luck with other burley flake....give this a try.

Purchased From: 4noggins.

Similar Blends: Other burley flake...only better..

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (120)

Summary: a sweet Burley brownie with a berry topping.

"Aged Burley Flake" combines three Burleys and then presses or stoves them to bring out their inner sweetness and decrease the nutty, vegetative and sometimes bitter taste that Burley can have. This mixture seems to be topped with a humectant and a berry flavoring similar to Peterson "University Flake." It smokes well and is gentle, but loses a lot of the Burley taste and strength, making this an unconvincing smoke.

Similar Blends: Peterson - University Flake.

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Unnoticeable

I love Burley! This definitely delivers the goods. The tin note is of malted grains with a touch of sweetness. The flakes are easy to deal with, and the roll-and-stuff method works great. It lights easily after about 2 or 3 tries, and I like the fact that the tins stay pretty consistent as far as moisture is concerned (not too dry). It burns pretty evenly, and has a decent dose of nicotine (after all, it IS Burley). This flake is so full of flavor that it's ridiculous! It's zesty, nutty, sweet. There are hints of sweet molasses, grains, and cocoa - all of which make a damn fine Burley blend. I'll be buying more for sure. If you like Burley in any form, get a tin!

Pipe Used: Boswell, Various briars

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)

Wanting to experience a higher quality burley after initial surveys of various tobacco types I turned to the search function here and found this to be the highest rated example. I was also intrigued by a straight burley flake, not a terribly common form of these tobaccos. I was not disappointed, however this can be a frustrating blend.

I find the packaging to be part of the fun of tinned blends, and while coming in the typical rectangular tin with a label, the antique nautical woodcut is really cool. The flakes are dark and moist, with a rich woody scent of tobacco and cocoa. The leaf is obviously of the very highest quality.

To address its assessment as frustrating, I find the physical smoking qualities to be somewhat poor as the flake is very moist and really required considerable attention. Part of this was impatience on my part as I plowed through my first tin without providing the type of climate control or preparation to achieve the proper humidity. The smoking of each bowl was the same as I would get bursts of incredible flavor that were difficult to sustain leading me to stoke the tobacco which is exactly the wrong way to treat this. This tobacco rewards slow smoking. I also find that the flavors develop much better with a tight pack, however go too far and it just won't burn well. The key is being attentive.

Despite those qualifications, the taste is inspiring. I have to take Solani at their word that no flavoring is added, but it's hard to believe because this pops with cocoa flavor and it's delicious. When crunchy dry it also produces a cinnamon note that combines with both the cocoa and burley pepper like a Mexican mole sauce. The burley roughness is there as well at times that reminds me of radishes. There are also toasted grains, the oily smoke of rich fatty nuts, and light caramelized sugars with a mild consistent sweetness that is more typical of Virginias. Unlike other burleys it doesn't get bitter or ashy. Nicotine seems pretty low for a burley.

I carefully considered the rating on this. The too moist flakes can be painful and frustrating, which could steer this to a 3. This is made more irritating because of the reward of the taste, but ultimately the taste is so outstanding that it is a solid 4. Take the time to get the moisture and preparation right and focus on your technique and it is an awesome smoke.

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 9 months

BarryChello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BarryChello (7)

This is my all day blend. Its a very slow burning flake, and it never bites me. I smoke it straight from the tin, no need to dry as this will make it become harsh and lose flavour.

Pipe Used: cobs, briars

Purchased From: My smoking shop

Similar Blends: nothing.

coldmoon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
coldmoon (24)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

While not being a fan of burley tobaccos, based on good reviews here, decided to give this blend a try. Rich dark scent upon opening the tin. Reminds me very much scent of dried plums and caramelized honey. Neat uniform flakes containing mostly darker tobacco leaves. The tobacco is a bit too moist to be smoked right away. After 20 minute drying time it is just perfect.

As I usually do with flake tobaccos, I used fold and stuff method. This gives me cooler and longer smoke.

After charring light I am greeted with the taste of dark chocolate and some sugar like sweetness. This doesn't change much throughout the bowl.

This blend is pretty strong in nicotine department, so it is better smoked after dinner or good meal.

Room note is not unpleasant but definitely noticeable.

After second third of the bowl buzz from nicotine increases dramatically and the nutty taste from the burleys are in the front row. Very good burley based tobacco. Would not recommend this for beginners because of nicotine level. MacBaren's Golden Blend would be more suited burley blend for beginners.

Pipe Used: Stanwell No. 407

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Nutty sweet cocoa wonderful tobacco! Top five with a bullet! Without a doubt the most superior Strong Burley I have ever smoked, and not to brag but this ole Kentucky boy knows a bit about Burley. Have tried it rubbed out and it smokes excellent but folded and stuffed into a large bowl this will bring you a good hour of pleasure. Has a good amount of nic but not so much as to give you the hic-ups or heaves. Highly recommend this tobacco to anyone who enjoys burley

Pipe Used: Most recently an Angelo squat pot

Age When Smoked: new and jarred 6 months

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Gig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gig (14)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This was an interesting blend for me and I was scared to try it as I'm not really a Burley fan. Usually I get a bitter and rancid taste with Burley but this was definitely different. It was a luscious, creamy and very smooth smoking tobacco with dark cocoa, molasses and light earthy tones. I just rolled and stuffed a flake into a bowl and lit up and I liked it from the start to the end of the bowl. I highly recommend it to everyone to try :)

Pipe Used: 314 Peterson System Standard

JHC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JHC (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I'm new to pipe smoking. It's been a love affair that began only six months ago, but one of the most fulfilling variety. Perhaps it's my somewhat novice credentials that caused such a struggle with this flake but as with so much in life it's the struggles that provide the most fulfilment. The excitement I experience when two 50g tins arrived at my door was that akin to a child on Christmas Day - I couldn't wait to press that two penny piece into the tin and ignite my first bowl. As the promisingly attractive tin eased open and I pealed back the paper I caught my first intoxicating wife of fruits and sweet nuts from the richly brown, thinly cut flakes beneath. Once in my hand I was struck by how delicate and almost fragile the flake felt, a small caress of the Palm eased it apart and careful pressed her into the well of my Rattray's butcher boy (my day to day, trusty friend). That first bowl was... Well it was unlike anything I had smoked before or have since. Butterscotch and fudge, nutty and peachy, peppery and succulent... My excitement was rewarded. As the bowl burned on though the problems started to arise. She burnt too hot and keenly for a while then required frequent re lights later, after a tamp the draw closed in and I became too distracted with formalities to properly relax into the experience. By the end of the bowl I felt unsatisied... I had caught a glimpse of something unique and beautiful and felt it slip from between my fingers. Subsequent bowls proved much the same. I tried various pipes and sometimes a whole flake, sometime a half. Sometimes breaking up into strands, sometimes rough and blocky. That promise seemed always just out of reach.

A few weeks ago while travelling for work I stopped in the Peak District and wandered along the bank of one of its stunning reservoirs. Two men fly fishing nodded hello as they drifted past in their boat. The sun shone down from a clear blue sky and I found myself reaching for the Solani tin in my Barbour pocket. My Nording freehand was with me that day and it welcomed the lightly rubbed flake with open arms. It lit with ease and my soft draws and delicate tamps encouraged the burn along the way. As the minutes wafted by I began to daydream and drift into the moment. Everything relaxed. The complexly soft flavours rolled across my pallet and evolved with every slow draw. It was in this moment that I realised what I was being taught. This tobacco, as with life, requires patience and attention - to be savoured not rushed. Not a single relight and a clean burn of evolving a delight for a full hour as I walked the banks and explored my surroundings.

This is a joy of a blend. A crowning glory in Solani's crown. For moments of contemplation and relaxation. Patience is rewarded in droves.

Since that teaching I have enjoyed a fair few smokes, each one better than the last. This is my special reward for just being me. Thank you Solani

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: a few months

Purchased From: bonds of London

Similar Blends: ....

jcwads Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jcwads (1)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Outstanding flake. I can't get enough of this Burley goodness. It is now my all time favourite. Nutty, fruity, deliciousness. Smokes to a fine grey ash , doesn't bite and keeps the pipe dry. Go buy some now!

Pipe Used: Philip Rivara commission

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (21)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I was looking for an alternative to Edgeworth Sliced. This ain't it. On the other hand it is a first class burly blend. I can't believe the claim that there are no flavorings added ... coco or chocolate kind of hit you right in the face. I kind of taste some maple flavor too but I could be imagining that. The flakes are not tight flakes and rub out easily or you could just use the fold and stuff method. It lights easily and stays lit for the most part. For me it is a little on the sweet side for an "unflavored" burly blend. I don't think I will be buying more of it for that reason. It doesn't seem to have that burly nuttiness I'm looking for. The hit from Lady N is on the high side of medium. Even though it isn't quite what I'm looking for, it is and excellent smoke for those who like a bit of flavoring in their burly flakes. For sure a solid 4 star offering. The person made the decision to discontinue Edgeworth Sliced ought to be drawn and quartered.

Pipe Used: Cobs and Maplewood.

ahmadyuzamir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ahmadyuzamir (6)

First tried this blend many months ago. Nothing stood out at first as I was still very new into straight Burley blends. Coming primarily from a Va, Va/Per background it took me a few bowls to really home in on the Burley characteristics. This blend packs, ligths easily from the consistent flake cuts. Unlike SG cuts, the cut found in the tin is very uniform, akin to Dunhill Flakes. The Burley tastes great, cool in various pipes. My advice for you to really enjoy this blend is to either dedicate a pipe to it or use it with your Va pipes. If you are using a pipe that has been used for Aros or Latakia, you may not fully appreciate the subtle taste of Burleys. This one is a staple in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Peterson System Standard, MM Cobs.

Age When Smoked: Fresh, revisited 3-4 months down the road

Purchased From: Kamelah Tobacco House

Similar Blends: None I can think of..

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (37)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Solani Aged Burley Flake is the first and only Burley flake I have smoked to this point in the two and a half years I have been smoking a pipe. I found some of this in a jar in my husband’s pipe room and thought I would give it a try. I smoke this by breaking the flakes into small pieces and rub a little out to get the pipe going. At first light, I get a sweet, almost honey-like flavor, although not from a casing. ABF quickly turned earthy and nutty. There is also a light cocoa undertone to it too. ABF never burned hot and I find it to be a little on the strong side. If I am not careful it makes me a little dizzy. This is a very smooth smoke though. ABF has made me want to try out more Burley flakes and I would recommend this flake. BTW, I don’t think he will miss the jar!

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (69)

The gentlest introduction to Kentucky blends, in my experience. For me, it was a gateway smoke to HH Old Dark Fired and Pease Triple Play. It's a bit one dimensional (not surprising, I guess) but interesting. Flavors of dark leather, graphite, burnt pine and toast, and just a few faint and occasional floral notes. Burns like a dream (rubbed out well) and serves up a healthy nicotine kick.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a very different kind of flake. It displays all of the traits that make Burleys a great smoke while exhibiting none of the detractors. What you taste is primarily smooth and fairly rich tobacco with a subtle, sweet quality and it's very easy to smoke! And best of all, there is none of the bitterness that is often associated with Burley. This flake doesn't approach the level of "wonderful", but it is most definitely a very satisfying and pleasurable smoke.

Along with the nutty taste characteristic of Burley there is also a somewhat toasted or charred and smoky quality. Overall the smoke is smooth, cool, uniform and consistent. This is a great change-of-pace smoke for the Virginia and Virginia blended flake smokers and it deserves a bit more than just 3-stars.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (12)

This is the first pure burley and also the first Solani tobacco i have tried,and i must say im impressed.

When i lit my pipe the first thing my tastebuds detected was that of some slighty sweet bread-ish flavour with a good body.

i am quite new to smoking tobacco and have recently gone from smoking flavoured tobaccos and begun to find my way amongst all the interesting flavours that pure obacco has to offer, all tho most of my experience in this (for me) new type of smoking has come from brands such as "Cornell & Diehl" and "G.L Pease" i must say that this tobacco from solani opened my eyes for what i really like to smoke, Burley!

and with that said, i would like to say that this is a tobacco i would strongly reccomend!

ps. please excuse me if my wording is a bit of, english is'nt my native language.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (28)

Well, let me see here... I can't quite put my finger on the absolute particulars of this Burley blend. As I write, I am partaking of I believe my 5th bowl since I purchased the tin, and am still befuddled by many of it's nuances which continue to evade my senses. Absolutely no bite, very full in flavor yet mellow in the smoke. The nicotine definitely makes itself known, but not in "kick your butt sideways" fashion. The flavor and aromas are by no means complex, yet there are subtleties that I find evocative and extremely pleasant. I detect no casing or topping in the tobacco. Just a sweet, mellow, smooth, slight chocolate, true tobacco aroma... Hard to describe really, but divine!

Having lived in tobacco country in Shelby County, Kentucky for 5 years, the aroma in this tin takes me on a stroll through the old tobacco barns and some wonderful memories. The Burley hanging from the rafters of 150 year old barns, wafting it's sweet aromas downward. Sitting below, enjoying the solitude and sensory bliss of doing absolutely nothing out in the middle of nowhere.

Those are now days past, city life is upon me again, and being a Peace Officer in a rough area oft causes me to be remiss in not revisiting these wonderful memories. Although temptation abounds to make this an every evening smoke, I will not. It is special, and I shall treat it as such. I'm going to reserve this smoke for after coming home from the really bad ones.

Highly Recommended!

Update: After letting this dry out a bit in the tin, it seemed to smoke a bit hot in the pipe even when just sipping. Still no bite, just rather hot in hand. Also, the sweetness has increased which amazes me for a pure Burley. Perhaps I will I try it in a smaller bowl pipe to see if that controls the heat a bit. The flavor of this tobacco is stellar. Amazing!

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

My favorite burley based flake. I even love the cocoa-like topping. Smooth, yet sturdy and flavorful. It comes aged already, as the name announces. But I find it smokes best when the contents are jarred for awhile after popping the tin. Before smoking it, I rub out the flakes a bit and let them air in a twist-lok container for a couple of days. That way it smokes lighter and without as many relights. Tip: enjoy a lozenge of Ghirardelli's 86% cocoa chocolate and then smoke some well-prepared ABF, perhaps with a mug of coffee by your side. The ideal morning smoke combination for me.

spidermonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spidermonkey (9)

This stuff is nothing short of outstanding. I have no idea what they do in the processing of this tobacco, but if it is indeed without any topping/casing - that is amazing. The aroma of nuts and cocoa is present upon opening the tin. It is one of the few tobaccos among those I have tried to give me a slight buzz - although that could have just been the euphoria from the delight that was bombarding my senses. Smokes well. It is a little - ok - really sticky flake - not like sugar... more oily - that breaks up to a rather coarse consistency. This stuff cannot be rubbed into ribbons as far as I can tell.

No bite - at all. Smokes cool. Not ashy on the relight - and it may require a few. Besides the new tin wonderment, I also have a mason jar with some that is over two years old. Smells like chocolate cake in the jar, tastes nearly the same. It's amazing the way that it ages compared to the usual burley blends. It's very rich after it matures. Love this stuff. Not an everyday tobacco for me - more of an occasional treat for a job well done.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Simply wonderful, I've been searching for a top shelf Burley for a long time. The best I have found before was Kentucky Club, not a lot of heft but a good smoke none the less. In 656 I get a thick crusty bread flavor, with a nice dose of nicotine. Upon opening the tin you are greeted with a thick rich tobacco smell that no other Burley can match, it smells like a Virginia to me, which is high praise. I will be stocking up on this blend, as I find that it has no equal in the Burley world.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (50)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Edit (2016) - just to update, and comment on the comparisons with Wessex Burley Slice

The more I smoke this, the better it seems to get. I'm a fan of Wessex Burley Slice but it's by no means a clone of the Solani. The latter is significantly milder in nicotine and body. I can't stomach WBS in the morning or on an empty stomach, which is not the case with the Solani. WBS also seems to have a few more harsh notes in comparison with the Solani, especially towards the end of the bowl. They're both great blends, but if I had to choose one, it would be the Solani, which seems to have a bit more nuance in its flavour profile and is definitely a bit sweeter in taste.

--------

A nice flake. The tin aroma is one of dark chocolate with hints of liquorice. The smoke is tasty, fairly sweet, and well-bodied, but without the overwhelming nicotine content of a blend like Peterson's Irish Flake. It goes well with black coffee, a stout ale or a scotch, particularly after a heavy meal of red meat.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This would be a four-star blend if I hadn't run into serious variations between batches. I don't know if this is a quality-control issue or simply the result of the blender using different batches of leaf from year to year, but I've had tins that were almost indescribably good and others that were nearly unsmokable.

The presentation is that of uniformly gorgeous, deep brown flakes. Unlike many burlies, they smell sweet even before lighting. Upon firing up a bowl (of the good batches) this sweetness manifests itself immediatly in the smoke. In fact, if it weren't for the manufacturer's insistence that there is no added flavoring or virginias in this blend, I would insist there was one (or both). The flavor even changes as the bowl progresses, much like a good virginia, becoming darker, sweeter and even smokier (in the same sense that latakia is "smoky"). This is a full-bodied mixture with a decent nic-hit, and it almost never bites the tongue.

Other batches, however, have been flat and dull to the point of being tasteless. Also, I've had a couple of tins that burned ridiculously hot and shredded my tongue.

Depending on the tin, I could give this four stars or one. I'm giving it three because I get a positive experience more often than not, but I feel compelled to add that I've stopped buying new tins of this because I simply don't know what I'm getting. My first few tins had me convinced that I'd finally found my "desert island" smoke, but obviously that hasn't turned out to be the case. YMMV.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)

tin appearance: darkchocolatecolored-chunky-flakes neatly arranged on top of each other in three rows.

tobacco tin smell: smells like chocolate...wonderful. sweet chocolate.

Perfect moisture right out of the tin, into the bowl. Fold, twist and pack...that easy.

after lightning: The smoke is smooth smoother the smoothest. Very subtle sweetness, subtle nuttiness, and boy....i taste some chocolate.

Conclusion: A very elegant tobacco, honest,pure in flavor...overall dark-flavors. It's hard to describe, what do i mean with dark-flavors?!....transformed into musical terms: minor-flavors. little tart-flavour, earthy, humus-flavor. Natural...fantastic if you like this kind of blends!

give it a try.

==Update=== Another baccy, which made in on my Hall-Of-Fame-List!!! ABF is like Nate King Cole's voice: smooth & entertaining

i dont wanna miss this anymore...THANK YOU MR. SOLANI!!!

==update= i did some research. There is a very gentle chocolate-casing. me love chocolate!!! ...just smell the tobacco...if you dont smell chocolate...i dont know, give your nose a salt-treatment ;)

=another update== January 9th, 2010 this blend is marvelous! Thank you Mr. Ruediger!!! Enjoy this blend accompanied with a nice mellow redwine. Fits together, just like Mike Tyson and a some red boxing gloves...5 Stars.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

4 stars, it's all been said. The only thing I would add is that I love Prince Albert and MacBaren's Golden Blend, both good burleys but this is in a whole different ballpark, I could see people who normally don't like burleys loving this stuff. A must try blend. Price is the only minus.

ErnieQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErnieQ (6)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First, let me start by respectfully correcting one reviewer's comments below. This is NOT produced by Orlik of Denmark...this is produced by R.L. Will in Germany. Also, with 20 years of burley fanaticism under my belt, and good relationships with the importers of both the fine Wessex Burley Slices and the Aged Burley flake I can say with the utmost certainty that the two are NOT "exactly the same"

To clarify: The Solani has a greater proportion of Flue Cured which accounts for it's slightly darker color and stronger body and flavor. What does appear to be the same, however, is the method of casing which seems to be a traditional (For Burley)combination of Cocoas, Licorice and perhaps a drop of rum.

Strength: Either way, The Solani Aged Burley is certainly a great tobacco. I would call this a full strength+ blend..while certainly not as powerful as some of the Lakeland tobaccos, this flake has a potency that, combined with it's chocolaty smoothness, can sneak up on you! (Wessex, while full-ish bodied, has a slightly nuttier flavor and decidedly less kick.

Flavoring: As far as a top note, this seems to be topped only with a bit of molasses as a humectant. The aromas of cocoa and (ever so slightly) licorice seem to be leftover from the casing process (used to mellow the tobacco and remove bitterness).

Room Note: The "Old Pipe Shop" aroma from fine burley's like those made by Peretti are extant here, but somewhat overpowered by the dark fired which lend a bit more "Tang" to the aroma.

Taste: Nutty and full with a deep dark sweetness.

Those who smoke McB Navy Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced, Wessex Burley Slices, or Peterson University flake and wish to try a fuller bodied relative should smoke this wonderfully well done flake.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)

I have to say that i LOVE this blend. I was lucky to get hold of this tin from my very dear friend Pipestud a few months ago.

I was hesitant to open it at first, it was when my current tin of Briar Fox somehow caught fire in an unusual number of very small but very cool fires that i was looking for an evening replacement. I was not planning on opening any of my aging tins of BF so, judging by the reviews, i thought this would be ideal based on the VitN content.

The best way i can describe the taste is to say that it has a deep, toasty, nutty taste that i kinda find Old Worldsy. It burns for a long time even in a small bowl and i find it most satisfying. I have a little Meer ( have lots of those ) dedicated to this blend and i will whip it out when in need of a relaxing no frills medium to strong smoke.

I did find it to be moist upon popping the tin and let it dry for around 24 hours until almost crispy. The flakes does remind me of University Flake in look and smell ( minus the berry ) and i felt immediately at home once i lit it up.

Good Stuff

Mo, South Africa

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (90)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This one is such a no-brainer...just read the tin description!

1) contains dark brown Burley from Kentucky, light Burley from Brazil, and white Burley from Malawi. 2) a unique toasting process to make the blend slightly sweet. 3) a natural blend with no additives or flavors.

It's a great Burley Blend (perhaps the greatest now available)...using the headers above as numberical values, it's made according to the following formula:

(1 + 2 + 3) = Brilliant Burley Bliss

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Opening the tin, it took me a while to convince myself I really bought tobacco and not chocolate. For the smell and appearance said the contrary. Not that it is artificially flavored with chocolate, of course, for this high grade flake is 100% natural.

The flavor is very good, although one ought not to confuse heaviness with fullness of taste. This tobacco is more the first than the second. But the flavor is not bad at all. A little whisper of licorice, perhaps, or nuts. It never goes bitter properly, but the heaviness can also be confused with bitterness.

I did like it, more than Wessex Burley Slice, for example, but I will still prefer to soften it a little with a 30% of premium virginia or cavendish. A sacrilege? For many, yes, but for me there are no taboos if I will enjoy more. Isn´t milk added to chocolate?

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've not met a Solani blend yet that I don't like. This lovely flake is no exception. I normally rub this out and let it dry 15 minutes before loading. The tobacco burns slowly, to a fine white ash. I would describe this beauty as follows: think of MacBaren's Burley....a little less sweet....a little darker taste....a little stronger in the nicotene department.......very little bite......There you go.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Overwhelming Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant

Being a Burley lover, I was intrigued to find this addition to the Solani product line. I looked forward to a great smoke.

Boy, was I ever disappointed! There is no question that this is a tobacco of exceptional quality, but it made me ill everytime I put a match to it. The nicotine content of this stuff is off the charts! Even on a full stomach, this weed made my head spin.

All those who gave this four stars must be made of sterner stuff than I. Being a pipesmoker for 35+years, there have been only two blends (before this) that I could not handle because of harshness or UMMPH. This is the third. It is smooth as can be...but the strength made me reel for hours afterward.

All the comparisons to other Burley flakes on today's market seem, to me, illusory. Edgeworth and Kingfisher are wimpish compared to this stuff.

Solani offers some outstanding tobaccos and, for some, perhaps this is one. Speaking only for myself...glad I smoked only a sample; I'd sue if I'd paid for this noxious, vile intoxicant.

Solani has generally not disappointed me in the past and this blend is no exception. Nicely prepared brownish flakes ~ 3/4"x3"x1/16" give off a great, true tobacco aroma from the tin. I don't rub out my flakes and had some problems with numerous relights initially but they were caused by my packing technique. Once I mastered the proper method & looser packing for this moisture content and pliability, those problems disappeared and a cool smoke without condensation resulted. Although the strength was fine and this smoke was not bitter to the end, I prefer the sweeter taste from my VAs and VaPers. Certainly worth a try if you enjoy burleys.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff has a rich, deep, complex, slightly sweet taste. I get a slight flavor of molasses and a very subtle hint of chocolate but those flavors don't overwhelm the taste of some very good tobacco leaf. I have several tins of it in my cellar and I expect to get even better with age.

Similar Blends: Reiner Long Golden Flake, MacBaren Old Dark Fired.

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

My tin has been opened and jarred for quite a while now, and my flakes are starting to fall apart a bit....but I seem to remember them being uniform and neatly cut and stacked in the tin. The tin note is very appetizing - sweet, grainy, nutty, and a hint of cocoa - yum! My 10 year old son (resident tin note expert) says, "it doesn't really smell that good, but it's not stinky like your other pipe stuff." LOL It's not as bad as Sam Gawith flakes, but it's definitely on the wet side, and benefits from drying. Not only wet, but also sticky feeling - like, maybe there's honey or syrup blended in it.

It always seems to take a couple of extra matches to get this one started, but it's well behaved once it's going. It's a burley for sure, but it's quite unique. Nutty, cocoa, grainy, a hint of sweet. It gets a little hot and steamy if I push it too hard...it prefers to be sipped. I'm smoking it in a briar tonight, and while it's performing just fine, I do think I prefer this blend in a cob, as I do most burleys. The smoke seems nice and thick, but the flavor is lighter than one would expect. Not to say the flavor is puny, just that it's not as thick and heavy as you'd expect.

Supposedly, this is straight burley with no added flavoring. I wouldn't necessarily doubt that, but neither would it surprise me if I found that it had a hint of Virginia and/or a sweet topping.

I seem to always have a tin or two of ABF around. I like it quite a lot, but I wouldn't necessarily say I love it enough to cellar huge quantities of it. Nonetheless, I do think this is a blend that practically everyone should try at least once. I often recommend ABF to Virginia or aro smokers who think they hate burley, burley lovers who want to try something different, and to beginners who want to begin exploring burleys.

Highly recommended.

Doctor Max Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Max (23)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As is customary with Solani, presentation is very classy. Nice tin and very neat slices of flake. Tin notes are mainly on the dried fruits side: figs, dates, ..., and is very pleasant. The tobacco smokes best wit the fold/stuff/twist metod for me. It tastes beautiful on light up, with initially notes of dry fruits, fully in line with the tin aroma, developing into licorice, tar and pine sap. Overall very dry, with hardly any sweetness detected. Burns well, but was a tad too moist on opening the tin, giving a bit of the hot steam effect, but after a few months of drying out the flakes burned solidly from tip to heel. Room note is woody, with a strong note of burned biscuits, as is characteristic of good Burleys. I found the flavour a bit flat. Nice, but nothing special. I can see that some people would love this, but there are better pure Burleys out there in my book.

Pipe Used: Corn cob

Age When Smoked: 0-2 years

Purchased From: Dan Tobacco

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Golden Blend, Brobergs Tobakshandel AB - Brobergs Burley.

Pastor Puff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pastor Puff (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Tin Note: Chocolate. Lots of chocolate.The burley come through just slightly.

Cut: It's a big, beautiful flake, a little wet but still smokable. The flake feels much more delicate than i'm used to them being.

Taste: Apparently this is a pure burley flake, though I swear that I taste perique. The flavour is much more delicate and floral than I had expected. Deep in the background a campfire flavour is there, but it's searching. Through the retrohale I get a hint of pepper.

Mechanics: There was no bite, and in my second bowl I really tried. I did have trouble at times keeping it lit.

Pipe Used: Big Ben Nautic, Cob

Age When Smoked: New Tin

lolin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lolin (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I am a burley fan. I prefer it moré than virginia, maybe because I am a cigarettes smoker, and for this reason, what I search in a pipe tobacco is something different than Virginia (which is the main component of the cigarettes). Therefore, in burleys I use to find"something different". And this Solani 656 is, from my opinión, one of the best I have tríed. It's elegant, equilibrated, cool smoke, doesn't bite the tongue, and has a low level of nicotina. I have to say that, maybe for this low level of nicotina, I can be smoking a pipe of it and when i finísh I wish to continue smoking moré of this. In my opinion, it's an excellent tobacco, where the blend has been thought very accurecily. 5 stars for Solani 656.

Pipe Used: Dunhill bruyere & peterson

Similar Blends: Three nuns.

Lyle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lyle (30)
Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

A true Burley blend, indeed. The flakes are quite dark, and the tin aroma is very natural. The flavor is very nice, however on the subtle side.

I got my best results by fully rubbing out the flakes, but I also enjoyed it dried to a crisp and broken into small bits. Both ways, I found it easy to light and keep smoldering.

I didn't experience much flavor development as the bowls progressed. This, combined with a strong nicotine charge, makes me recommend the use of small pipes for this one.

Pipe Used: Small bowled pipes dedicated to Burley

Age When Smoked: Six years old

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I bought this tin because I wanted to explore a natural, unadulterated burley tobacco. After trying several burley blends I thought I would see what burley is in the raw. I Like. I did find, however, after half the tin was smoked up, that I missed the touch of added sweetness that other blends bring. Maybe it's my Danish blood, maybe it's just my raging sweet tooth, but I need something more, just a hint of something, to make this perfect for me. This is by all means an excellent tobacco, and I recommend to every grizzled old salty dog piper. In the end I did what burley purists would call an unthinkable, unimaginable and unpardonable offense. I mixed the second half of this tin with a pouch of Captain Black Gold. It is surprising how much the ABF took over the mix being only a third part. I still get all of the Burley flavor but mellowed by the candy Cavendish seemingly perfectly. ABF also kicks up the N juice of the latter a half a dozen notches. I may have a new favorite blend.

Pipe Used: cob, Grabow briar

Age When Smoked: 0-2 months

Purchased From: Pandcdotcom

Ig88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ig88 (9)

I'm a casual pipe smoker so for me to buy 3 tins of this, says a lot. This is one of those blends which was given to me by my father who wasn't thrilled with it. I had a completely different experience with it and I love it. This is a blend which doesn't try to be something it is not. It is simple and in a sense, perfection. I am amazed at how complex the flavors are with something so simple. Nutty, creamy and hints of earth. One of my absolute favorites. Good right out of the tin! This blend proves "simple is best".

Wife note is pretty good with this one! Always a plus!

My father is now a fan after giving this blend another try.

virginia king Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
virginia king (2)

This is some quality flake ready to smoke from the tin but i like to dry for 10 minutes. On opening the tin your greeted with dark fruits that reminds me of a Christmas pudding (Devine). The flakes are a nice size and rub out easily,packed and a couple of charing lights and your in for a fine smoke, it's sweet a little nutty with a malty , bready taste that reminds me of Soreen (malt loaf). There's a good N kick to boot and the taste is constant maybe less sweet towards the end. A welcome change. Give it a try it's a little pricey but top quality pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: savinelli , parker

Age When Smoked: new to 1 year

Purchased From: GQ tobaccos

Leeboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leeboy (20)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I've been getting into burley tobacco lately and was excited about this stuff. The flakes were soaking and took days to dry out. I smoked this in a variety of pipes but simply couldn't get any flavor out of it. I don't know if it was a bad tin or not but as this was the most expensive tobacco I've bought I'm not happy at all. I will stick with Petersons Irish flake from now on.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

All in all, not too shabby of a blend of different burleys from around the globe as the tin states. Fairly monochromatic in taste, but it does get the job done in room note and tin note. The flakes come in a nice uniform condition and, for me, ready to light up right out of the tin. The moisture level is good for me, YMMV of course. The nicotine level is just right for me and this one lights and stays lit with little effort. Overall a recommended blend.

Coloradopiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coloradopiper (1)

This is a high utility tobacco. My favorite bowl of the tin I just finished was driving over Ute Pass in my home state of with my beagle in the passenger seat. This tobacco is perfect for driving or doing chores. It burns cool with very little smoke. You don't "smoke" this tobacco, that is to say, you don't puff away. It sits in the bowl and slow-cooks like a Sunday roast. If you want a special occasion tobacco, this is not it. But if you are looking for a way to take your mind of a certain errand or just to put around in the yard, this is a great hour long companion.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

I was quite surprised on how this looked in the tin. It look like a very aged Virginia flake. I think I like it better than most VA flakes because the burley provides more taste and more strength in my opinion. It just seemed to be missing something, I just can't put my finger on it. All in all, and excellent smoke.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

From now on, when it comes to burley's, I must begin by comparing any new blend against the two burley blends that have, quite frankly, blown me away—those being Patton's Storm Front and 4Noggins Bald Headed Teacher. Aged Burley Flake's good, but it is not as good as either of them. I like Aged Burley Flake, but the blend didn't measure up to my favorites, especially in regards to taste. On the other hand, neither of my favorite burleys are flakes, and I love flakes! It's good to have a burley in flake form. A good blend, just not my favorite blend.

Pipe Used: Mario Grandi freehand

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

For a straight burley this is a surprisingly well-rounded smoke. The smell from the sample bag I got is like a rich hot chocolate. The taste is pretty much the same but has a little nuttiness as well. Not a complicated taste but very satisfying. Very similar to the Sutliff match of ERR but a little more flavorful.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Similar Blends: Sutliff Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed MATCH.

Greasy Neale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greasy Neale (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Very Mild Pleasant

A nice dark flake with a mild tin note. I rubbed the flake out and my fingers were covered in sticky wet gunk that dried off quickly. The rubbed out flake needs to be packed loose to get it to burn properly. Otherwise, plan on relighting regularly. The smoke is nice. It's strong and subtly sweet for a burley. It burns hot, but probably because a loose pack is required for a consistent smoke due to the damp stickiness out of the tin. I imagine it would burn just fine with a little drying? It's not my bag, but I'm not a big burley fan. I'll update this review after I spend more time with the blend using various pipes.

Update: This blend is growing on me. The burn has cooled down with a little drying. I think it smokes best in a cob. I'm not a burley fan, but I have to say I'm really starting to like the nut and chocolate flavor. I can see myself smoking a few tins every spring, but it won't be a regular thing for me. I'd say it deserves another star. It's a three star blend.

Pipe Used: Cob & Briar

Purchased From: smokingpipes

richardsondp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
richardsondp (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my favorites. While it is has a complex full tobacco flavor it is also mild and won't bite. Will keep coming back for more. What everyone says is true. You will not be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Petersen Aran Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 48

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Well this is BURLEY at his best. One of the best burley flake I ever smoked. Close to perfection so I highly recommend, at least to try once. Love it.

Pipe Used: always Peterson

Age When Smoked: -2 yrs

Purchased From: street corner shop

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)

Nothing special, but still enjoyable. It is very good quality burley, but this blend really doesn't offer too much. Best if treated in the same manner as a VAPer. Sip it slowly.

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

Neatly presented uniform flakes. Rub out gently lengthwise to keep some long strands, let rest for half an hour. Pack inverted leaving an air gap. Sweet and nutty flavors - makes me think of Rocky Road ice cream with a slight hint of coconut mid-bowl.

High-quality leaf for sure but not for every day - will save this one for when I am in the mood for something on the slightly stronger side.

robsm2013 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robsm2013 (6)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my absolute favorite tobacco! It's complex in that you have to find the sweetness in it - which i find interesting about it - unbelievable richness - you definitely notice the quality of the aged tobacco.

Highly recommended!

Cragganmore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cragganmore (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I feel everything regarding taste has been covered previously. The only things I would stress is the quality and consistency of Aged Burley Flake. It took me a while to warm up to it but once I started to appreciate the subtlety and realized that it provided me with the exact same high quality smoke every single time... well let's just say I went from 4-6 smokes per month to a daily consumer.

I even had euphoric smokes of this in -20 degrees Celcius (which is -4 or so in Yankeedegrees I believe) coupled with a huge, hot cup of coffee.

Beardnote: dangerously close to being cigaretteish. This would be the only flaw I can find in ABF.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

High quality flake, nicely packaged (its how a man would like his presents wrapped all the time). Just moist enough to require minimal drying time, breaks apart well, burns cool and clean.

I trust burleyphiles who state this as being creme de la, but I just can't do straight burley-it's just too one dimensional for me.

Having said that, I'll try to maintain some stock of this as its a great 1:2:0.5 mix with 2 parts Dunhill Flake and 1/2 part St. James Perique. Now that's a tasty VaBurPer! Recommended

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)

Pure burley bliss, if that's your thing. The smoke has a blue green hue. The taste is sweet and straightforward burley fare. Can't go wrong here. Even those who aren't really burley fans should enjoy its simple beauty. Best in a small bowl. I found the flakes are difficult to rub out but it is still worth a look.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)

Coming from a new pipesmoker trying to find blends that deliver in tobacco taste, this one delivers. I recently came away from straight virginias disappointed in their mild taste profile. I liked latakia blends and was searching for something else to bring it. This definetly did but not in an overwhelming way. I will definetly have this on hand at all time. Very nice nutty natural pleasant full flavor.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)

Delicious Straight Burley , nutty and with a light sweet and cocoa taste, this one is fantastic!!!

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (60)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

A delicious all around smoke. Woodsy, nutty notes.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin, very chocolatey and slightly earthy. Smoke, all the normal nutty, toasted butter of a burley and then at the end of every puff...a little something else..kind of a sweet little something..very tasty! I really enjoyed this. This is hands down the best Burley I have smoked. I had my first zen pipe moment on a bowl of this as well. The sweet fruity flavor on the exhale brings a wonderful paring with the normal nuttiness of the Burley.

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (23)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

Solani´s burley flake is a blend for the pipe smoker connoisseur. I do not consider myself a flake fan, but I keep finding some of the very best blends to come as flakes (Astley´s 109, Peter Stokkebye´s Luxury Twist Flake, and Peterson´s University Flake). This burley flake now joins the list.

Upon opening the tin, you will find beautiful flakes that will give you a pleasant aroma: bread, raisins, brown sugar, even a hint of sawdust. The rubbing part can be tricky as it may come just a little too humid. I found my flakes to feel somehow sticky, which was new to me, but I didnt find it interfering with my smoking.

This tobacco can be lighted easily. Provides a full smoke, rising the pure burley to its splendor. You can feel its unadulterd sweetness while enjoying a high quality tobacco taste. Sensational wood notes are sense along with just a hint of orange as in a zesty mixture.

I am looking forward to keep a couple in my cellar to see how they age. Man, even the tin is outstanding!

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (13)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The tobacco can burn easily, and after the first trains developed a rather unusual tangy-sweet flavor. This is rather unusual for Virginia lovers taste from first to last whistle of the train continued without having to change fundamentally. The taste reminds most of the smell of pure unsweetened cocoa. The Burley has, contrary to many descriptions, but a very distinct taste and plenty of power. Unlike good Virginia tobacco, the taste is not very nuanced, it is earthy, tart-sweet.

So I like the Aged Burley Flake honest with his earthy charm. We know each whistle what to expect. Not in the morning and not at noon, but at night you will ever seen a tobacco with oomph of calls and still not enough tension holds. Those looking for that is operated well with the Aged Burley. Who is lively, elegant taste, the pleasure of looking hands off the tobacco.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I also must have had a tin that is the bland one that other people are talking about. Maybe I'll risk another one, we'll see.

Edit: On second thought, having my palate more developed, I've come back to the same tin and found it quite good. This is my first straight burley, and I think I will prefer this when wanting a Virginia, but don't want it to be too sweet/saucy. Upgraded to 3/4.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice flake presentation in a nice tin. Looks remarkably like a good virginia flake, smells sweet but nutty somehow. Easy to fold/roll and stuff, takes a bit of lighting and tamping to get the right temperature going. Sweetness transfers to smoke in the same way as a good virgina would (eg FVF). Wasn't sure what to expect with this one but certainly a high quality straight tobacco that I would be more than happy to smoke in place of the very best virginia flakes.

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

this is one great burley a little sweet no bite smoke it very slow let it drift out of your month and this will become one of your favorites.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice easy smoking flake! and that is a good recommendation.. Solani has a good true burley tobacco here and that is hard to come by.. It smokes cool and has a traditional nutty burley flavor.. with slight hints of cocoa.. If you are looking for something you can smoke at any time of day that doesn't require too much attention but has enough flavor to keep you satisfied this is a fine choice.. If you are looking for fireworks look elsewhere (maybe solani 633 virginia perique.. which has a richer more complex yet more difficult smoke) But this is no drug store burley! this is as good as burley gets in my opinion and as a burley gets 4 stars.. my tastes favor virginias but this smoke is an exception.. well worth the extra money. by the way i found it got slightly better after the tin was open for a week..

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Very Strong

I might recommend this to the Burley lovers. In a smaller pipe and fully rubbed out, smoked very slowly, it is somewhat interesting: subtle sweet notes, occasional cocoa scent.

The cocoa scent is more evident in the tin. I don't know if it is natural or a topping applied to the tobacco. I do detect a honey casing which I believe is standard for all blends coming from this company.

Nicotine content is medium-strong.

Peterson Irish Flake, by the same company, has a similar appearance to the flakes, but has enough Virginia in it to make it more accessible.

In the end I give it only one star: it is one of the rare blends I have thrown out after only half a tin. I finally decided it was just taking up space.

Life is too short for mediocre tobacco.

kidwithgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kidwithgun (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

still a rookie to burley blends, i find the ABF quite similar to Mac Baren's golden extra, done a bit better however. tastier. unlike the golden extra (although it taught me how to smoke burley blends after some effort) i don't seem to have to look for the natural chocolaty and nutty flavors of this blend, rather they find me with ease. overall i liked that with every draw an emphasis on a different flavor came. of course it isn't a complicated blend by any means, but also look for hints of dark roast coffee and some holiday spice, as these flavors jumped out at me at times throughout the bowl on several occasions.

room note: smells like i'm trapped in the middle of a bog fire. (if there's ever such thing) i'm not familiar with many different burley notes quite yet, but this one is much more strong, mossy and musky than the others i'm acquainted with as of now. put yourself on top of a mossy roof next to a stone chimney billowing with smoke in the middle of an overgrown, muddy swamp somewhere in the humid, deep south.

and i've never complained about the "burley bites" for if i have been bitten it was because i deserved it. the aged burley flake smokes cool and evenly if packed correctly and smoked at an appropriate pace. even after a re-light, although i had some issues getting reunited with the flavor, i still had no problem getting a cool smoke. so once again with a completely different blend, i'm still failing to understand everyone's problem with the "harshness" and "bitterness" of burleys, and like i said, i'm still new to non-aromatics.

i notice that ABF has a 4-star rating overall. i hope that i haven't found the best of the burley blends already, and although this may not sound like a great review, so far i've enjoyed this blend more than the others. only problem i really have is the price. i find it hard to believe this is 50g, even after rubbing it all out and relocating it to a 3-ounce jar, it still appears to be half the amount i receive of other blends. i'm counting how many bowls i get out of it...

side note: decent nicotine kick about knocked me on my ass. don't smoke on an empty stomach ha ha.

pps: it's been 20 mins and i still taste roasted moss. and yes, i love it =)

definitely recommended.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I loved edgeworth sliced, but when I ran out of it for good I bought a can of this hoping that it would be a decent replacement It will have to do try it for the love of burley!

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Chocolate casing, classic Danish type tobacco as per company description. For me a light aromatic. Nothing special for I prefer my flakes with as much Virginia as possible. This flake would be great without the casing but should still be good for Burley smokers.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm letting this one sit awhile in the cellar. Not mellow enough for my taste. The wife plugged her nose at this one (a first for her!) saying it reminded her of cigarettes which she doesn't tolerate in the house. Guess I'll be smoking this one on the porch.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Being mostly a VA and VA/Per smoker, with a fondness for the occasional aromatic and Latakia blend, this tobacco was a bit of an adventure for me.

Let it begin, then. Opening the tin, the slices resemble the cut of University Flake in compactness and packaging. The tin aroma is completely different, though: Burley is immediately identified by its inherent cocoa-ish note with traces of brown cane sugar and good coffee. A hint of fruitiness makes it more interesting.

Just like UF, this blend is pressed very tightly; it's nigh impossible to light folded; rubbed out it takes to the match readily and burns slowly and smoothly right down to the very bottom of the bowl.

The taste is not nearly as flamboyant as my favourite VAs, nor as sweet. There is the cocoa note typical of Burley, together with the accompanying dry room note which is not bad at all; as in the tin aroma, traces of sugar and coffee are in there, too. The smoke is remarkably cool, though.

Overall, a pretty good smoke; for a pure Burley, it is purely excellent. Alas, I cannot give four stars to a blend this expensive that has so little excitement on the palate to offer compared to, e.g., Marlin Flake or many pure VA flakes, which are also much more affordable. Recommended because it is truly exceptional for a Burley, and it handles very well.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first Solani blend I have had a chance to try, and I am VERY impressed. Easy to smoke whether you like to rub, or fold and stuff your flakes. I haven't found a need to dry this tobacco as the tin humidity works nicely for me. The tin smells of Raisinettes. The room note is slightly sweet and rather natural in that it doesn't seem encumbered by all the goo and flavors that your every day drugstore burleys are treated with. Relights were not an issue. Neither was bite or that burley "bitterness" that often comes with smoking too fast. The flavors are very full and clean. The nic hit isn't as big as I thought it might be, but you can tell something is going on, especially when you get to the 3rd bowl in as many hours. I can't find any flavors added to this, but it creates so many of its own: Nuts, stone fruits, leather, cork, herbal notes like wormwood, vanilla and so many more. They all fade in and out and never clash. The only downfall is that I don't think I can make this an all day puffer. After a while it leaves my throat and the back of my hard palate a little tingly and acidic feeling. This didn't happen after just one bowl, but several. All in all top notch baccy that REALLY earns its 4 star rating!

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my foray into the world of burley and I have to believe that I could not have picked a better tobacco with which to start.

The tin aroma is magnificent--hints of fruit and chocolate. The flake is beautifully packed and ready to go in terms of moisture content.

It rubs out nicely, burns even and cool, and tastes of a great blend of dark chocolate, nuts, and coffee. The bitter finish was unexpected but reminiscent of a good strong coffee--not too overpowering and complementary to the rich tobacco taste.

A very nice change of pace from my usual virginia leaf. Very nice! Five stars.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

One of the more inviting tin aromas I have met, this ABF. Rich, deep, dark tobacco and overly ripe pears in the orchard, lots of brown ones on the ground, watch where you step.

The flakes are nicely done. Moisture is about right. This one takes a light and burns nice and cool. Very cool burning. No throat irritation like I get with the straight VAs. No bite potential. In the bowl there is that earthy burley nuttiness with a raisin-like thing going on along side a cup of black coffee, French roast I'm guessing. I'm not overwhelmed (not even whelmed) by the nicotine. A word of caution, be careful not to snort at a joke with the pipe in your teeth or you may blow tiny embers on your smoking jacket (or t-shirt in my case).

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is beyond a shadow of a doubt the finest burley flake ever to fill a pipe. I would imagine this is a great seller for Monjure Impoting and yet another homerun for Steve Monjure. Thank you Steve for brining this great flake to the USA!!!

Very Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is one of the very few straight, unflavored plain Burley flake available today, this is a top quality tobacco with beautiful flake cut, this is an excellent change of pace when you are in mood for just plain unflavored burley, the flavor is nutty but somehow bland if it is smoked all day long, the nicotine level is enough high, finally this is a good quality burley tobacco for an occasional smoke, I don?t see myself smoking this tobacco every day. I have one tin that I have opened 2 years ago, it is still there, only half empty.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (47)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I?ve got to start smoking bad tobacco, I feel like a kiss ass giving four stars out for everything. This one really really deserves it though. Beautiful thick light flakes laid out in the tin like an engagement ring, all neat and pretty. The scent is sweet, honey and mead, aged tobacco. I folded one flake into a large Radice Hawkbill, two charring lights; it?s a bit moist right out of the tin, and then two hours of bliss. Besides the subtle sweet rich tobacco taste I swear this flake made me feel smarter. I normally shy away from straight burley blends as most of them taste like cigarettes to me, not bad, just, well, boring. This weed is not boring, it reminds me a bit of Orliks golden slices only richer and nuttier, almost like reiners Long Golden Flake minus the touch of perique and richer and nuttier. Pick your favorite flavor adjective and add it in, this is a fantastic smoke, I?ve smoked three bowls of this and am ready to leave it at the top of my rotation. The downside? I have to wait for the mail to bring it to me, it?s not carried locally. I?m either going to have to be proactive or pony up express mail. I can?t imagine that cellaring this could make it any better except the way that delayed gratification sort of makes things better in a masochistic sort of humiliating way, or the strength you feel by exercising your iron will. Four stars with little stars as asterisks that footnote four more stars. Excellent.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For me, to date, Solani?s Aged Burley Flake is the Gold Standard for straight Burley or blends. For starters I have to admit I behave poorly with flake tobaccos. In brief, I now know that for me to enjoy a flake, a flake must be sufficiently dried out for me to derive a pleasurable smoke. So I first let it dry out. ABF tastes solely of Burley tobaccos. It has sweetness to the smoke that is very clean and understated- do not think aromatic. The Burley flavor crests as you advance into the bowl, and yet, no bitterness often found in lesser Burley?s. And the nicotine, hell the Surgeon General would swear ABF the devil incarnate if given the chance. This is a spectacular tobacco every serious piper must try. It is more user friendly than University or Irish Flake, and does not leave the room with a cigar like scent. It is full of strength but not overbearing in flavor or a chore to smoke. This is not in my daily rotation, but is always in my reserve.

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pipe smokers seem to fall roughly into two camps: those who prefer burley-dominated blends and those who prefer virginia-dominated blends. If you want to find out if you are in the former camp, try ABF. The flavor is straight burley, no spice tobacco, and no topping.

ABF comes in little flakes the size of a stick of chewing gum. You can rub them out, but I find that makes it burn too hot. (When this particular blend is too hot it doesn't cause bite like a VA blend, it just becomes very acrid and harsh.) I like ABF in a small pipe that holds one stick, folded in half and twisted back and forth to loosen up the flake.

The flavor is straight burley, which is often called "nutty", but I think that this blend is more "toasty" than "nutty". There are occassional faint hints of sweetness that show up, but nothing like a VA or aromatic. The entire bowl seems to have the same character, top to bottom, with the flavors intensifing near the bottom of the bowl.

And then there is the nicotine. . . This stuff is very strong. Using a small bowl is the only way to tame it.

ABF is a nice treat for burleyphiles, but it is very expensive, so I will savor the one flake remaining in my tin, then move on to other blends.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I'm not into Burleys, but this tobacco is absolutely great. The natural earthy and nutty taste with no flavoring is improved by the toasting, producing a mellow, bite-free and cool smoke to enjoy anytime of the day (just not all day, due to obvious lack of depth and high nicotine).

Easily the best pure Burley for a pipe. If you love Stonehaven, give ABF a try. It won't disappoint you.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Ordinarily a straight burley does not get my attention. Solani Aged Burley Flake is not ordinary. R. Will is always worth exploring and he does not fail here. Opening the tin is a great pleasure as you are greeted with a pure clean tobacco aroma. The flake is perfectly sliced and medium brown in color. It breaks easily for loading and burns clean to the bottom of the bowl. This has a nicotine kick so don't be fooled into thinking you can puff quickly and walk away unscathed.

Overall I enjoyed this tobacco but would not necessarily have it in my rotation. I will however smoke it again.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (40)

First of all, I love all tobacco. I am not partial to any particular type of blend. I love VA, VApers, English, Balkan, Burley and good aromatics. With that said, here is my review of Solani Aged Burley Flake:

The day I ordered my tin of this blend I had also ordered a tin of Wessex Burley Slices. When they arrived I noticed that the tins were identical with the exception of the label. The interior packaging is also identical including the little picture of a Burley leaf. I will not compare these two tobaccos but I did find it interesting that there was no difference in the packaging.

The Solani flakes are pliable without being too moist. I smoke flakes unrubbed so I fold two flakes lengthwise then fold them once over width-wise. I place this plug into the bowl with the bent part of the tobacco facing the bottom of the bowl. I thrn gently work the top of the plug around so it makes a nice tight pack yet with a good open draw.

The flakes light up quickly and evenly. The initial taste is a bit of rasin-like flavor followed by some good dark nutty Burley taste. The smoke is very smooth and mellow. There is little to no sweetness during the smoke, just a nice nutty smokey full-bodied flavor that grows in strength as the bowl progresses. It provides a very good olfactory (through the nose) taste that compliments the flavor that the mouth receives. There is very little bite even when producing some huge clouds of smoke. It also smokes quite dry and needs only one pipe cleaner throughout the entire two-hour smoke. It burns slow cool and easy.

Solani Aged Burley Flake leaves the pipe clean and burns down to a fine light grey ash. There is no mouth fatigue so you are ready for more as soon as the bowl is complete. The nicotine content is pretty high but not overpowering like some ropes can be. This is a true Burley without the sweetners or perfumes so this may not be the best choice for a beginner. For those who really love a good honest Burley, this is it!

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)

I have waited long to review this one. I understand why just after reading Pryhosm’s statement just minutes before mine: “this tobacco is a finicky one in my experience. In the right pipe it is very good, in the wrong pipe it is like a mouth full of soot”. Holy words! If fact, ABF smokes better in sweet briars (Castello). It goes without saying: strictly IMHO.

We are talking about a great quality Burley, indeed. Not to the point that I prefer this Vs. Peretti 333, but still very good. Smoked as a whole flake just screwed into the bowl of KKKK sized Castello, takes the fire easily and burns very even and absolutely cool, no bite. Just don’t rush the smoke to avoid some ashy flavour, but that’s typical of Burleys. I don’t taste any chocolate, I’m more towards the nutty & musty/sweet thing, with some faint acidic note. Flavouring agents ? Not detected. Strenght and body are on the medium side.

A consistent all day smoke for the committed Burley pipster. Missing the fourth star just because it’s a bit monolithic.

Pipe Used: Dunhill first... then Castello

Age When Smoked: a couple of years

Purchased From: received as a gift

BriarWoody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarWoody (33)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Cigarette smokers should like this one. Strong tasting, medium in nicotine and bitter, there's little sweetness or complexity here, maybe a hint of coffee bean/cacao. But it's really a one-dimensional burley bruiser.

Don't get me wrong. I like burley and dark fired, but blended with other tobaccos. Alone, this is just too much. It is the second tin I've tried over the years in multiple pipes and the result is the same. I feel like I'm smoking a filterless Lucky Strike cigarette.

Age When Smoked: New Tins

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (60)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I honestly believe this is a decent tobacco, however, it is not my thing. It just does nothing for me. It does not bother me, but I find nothing interesting or compelling. It burns and smokes great. Very cool, even with heavy puffing, which to me indicates a quality blend. Difficult to comment on room note as I live alone. I don't want to discourage others from trying this. It is just not me. I suppose, based on the other reviews, if you like burley, you will like this.

pecheur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pecheur (19)

The flakes are gorgeous, a lovely mottled brown colour showing off the mixture of burleys and a strong tin note of cocoa that's almost too strong to be natural. The flakes are incredibly sticky and for me require a little dry time.

Easy to smoke flakes that'll happily rub out or fold and stuff just as easily, it smokes dry and doesn't bite. I found it can be a little fussy with pipes but with the right pipe it had a sweet, nutty, buttery flavour that I find a little cloying. The flavour stays pretty much constant throughout the bowl but occasionally a metallic flavour appears but it rarely lasts more than a couple of puffs.

I can see why it get's a lot of love but it's just not for me.

Pipe Used: Askwith Bulldog

Purchased From: mysmokingshop

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (72)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

It´s my first meeting with a pure burley and I fell in love with this natural fountain of flavour.I think that bad reviews of burley based tobaccos come,perhaps,from the use of burley in not top quality cigars.But this 656 is the number of the beauty.Perfect interlude in the middle of balkan/english rotation.The only objection is the high price well over other ,similar?,stuff. UPDATE After smoking a whole tin I can feel an unsufferable ghost in my pipes.I don´t like it and I guess some non natural casing,in consecuence I downgrade to 1 star.

Pipe Used: smalll dunhills

Purchased From: local tobacconist

sibeen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sibeen (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Overwhelming Tolerable

4noggins had a special on this a month or two ago so I thought I'd give it a try.

BIG MISTAKE.

Maybe, just maybe, I received a dud of a tin. The aroma upon opening wasn't too bad, but the taste once lit...Oh dear.

Mould with a musty after taste. Just dire. Unsmokable. So I dried some out overnight. Same result. An extreme mouldy taste.

Right...straight to the bin with that one. never again.

tntrush Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tntrush (3)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mother earth at the best possible smoking version ... Or is it the scent of a fertile woman at her pick?

Excellent smoke, strong though.

Of course it is not easy to make ends meet with a fertile woman at her pick, if someone is behaving sloppily. Overdid it once, and got dizzy.

Pure smoke, deep taste, full "as is" Burley dimension in your bowl.

This is an experience.

Pipe Used: Briar Pipe

Age When Smoked: Off the tin, up to one year in a jar

Purchased From: http://pipe-shop.net/

fustillat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fustillat (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm sorry to say that I was hardly impressed. I found it too bland. It burns well, without tongue bite.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable

not my cup of tea this one! too strong and too full of taste..