4noggins.com

The full spectrum of matured Virginia flavors from naturally sweet, mellow red to rich, deeply fragrant black stoved lemon unfolds as you smoke. Awaken to a dawning of tantalizing tastes in every bowl. Aurora is a mellow rich mixture of high sugar content red Virginia, a bit of bright and black stoved Virginia.

Notes: Reintroduced in 2009 from a PCCA Blend.

Blended ByMcClelland

3.4
SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Tin: Familiar, sweet, rich McClelland VA scent. Overall chestnut hue having a small amount of light tan and brown-black. Standard medium ribbon cut. Tin date on bottom: 2009. At just the right moisture level, supple to dry, leaving no residue on the fingers. Left out to dry for 2 hours, it is not completely dry.

Taste & Aroma: Full, rich, deep or dark, red VA. Soft and mellow. The smoke coming out of the bowl is likewise nice, soft and rich. There is a mild salsa effect on the tongue. I notice a mild, nice sweet tone. A little tangy, red VA, note is interspersed in the smoke, from time to time.

Nicotine: Mild to medium, closer to mild

Room Note: Pleasant sweet scent

Overall: Aurora is part of the 6-member Collector Blends produced by, and labeled as, McClelland. McClelland originally made it available for the Pipe Collector's but McClelland no longer puts PCCA on the label.

Another good variant of McCranie's Red Ribbon. An all-day, indoor smoke. 3.8 stars.

There is also an uncanny resemblance between Aurora and McCranie's My Reserve. McClelland produces blends for McCranie's under their guidance. A reviewer mentioned that MR is 5100 with the addition of stoved VA's; a similarity between First Light and 5100 has also been mentioned. Many have likewise noted the confirmation between RR and 5100. I use the bulk MR for a quick smoke and age the tinned Aurora.

Abadakus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Abadakus (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tobacco was moderately wet and seemed a bit sticky out of the tin, maybe owing to the casing. Yes, the ketchup is there, both in the smell from the tin and taste when smoked, from first to last bowl, wet or dry or whatever. But anyway, it's still one of my favorite Virginia blends. Burns slowly and quite cool, no tongue bite or any other problems here.

Once lit, it won't overwhelm you with strong taste. It's subtle and delicate, but possesses LOTS of fine detail. It combines sweetness and fruitiness with some more earthy and sour notes. Generally resembles the 5100, but seems a bit more complex and full-bodied to me.

A lovely blend!

Similar Blends: McClelland - Bulk No.5100 Red Cake.

HellOnAStick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HellOnAStick (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I opened this can dated from '08 I definitely got the 'ketchup' smell, but I'd say it's closer to rasin and A-1 sauce with that worchestershire overtone.

Smoking this in a new pipe to gain a good cake was a great idea. It has produced a nice hard cake within the first 15 bowls.

Initially, I've smoked this as my 'end of day' tobacco. If it IS a 'crossover aro' as some have said, McClelland created a savory aro instead of sweet. At the top of the pipe, with the first light, I get a lot of campfire-y wood tastes and odors. The bowl develops nicely with bitter lemon, pine and white sage flavors with the last of the bowl being a very deep, dark bitter chocolate.

When I allow this to exit through my nostrils, I get a heavy pine campfire taste, much like I'd expect from some English blends, so I'm wondering about the 'pure Virginia' claim...there's some spice and pepper in there as well.

Overall, I'd say, a great smoke...this could probably become a 4 star rating given another 5 years of aging. I'm finding that most of the collector's series tobaccos by McClelland seem to be best with some age and even better with a bit more.

Quad09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quad09 (2)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

OMG where do I start. Let me begin by saying I've only been smoking pipes for about a year. My tin lists the name of the tobacco as "Aurora" is manufactured by McClelland but there is no reference to "PCCA". The tin does not have the aurora effect on the labeling as some photos I have seen. Upon opening the tin you immediately pickup on the ketchup/vinegar smell; different but not disgusting. I find it to resemble a ribbon cut and it feels VERY moist in the tin. After the first bowl I was ready to throw it away. Tried drying it out a bit and still have to relight very, very often. Its described a a "Virginia lovers dream", for me a nightmare thus far. I will continue to ride this one out in hopes of having the dream others proclaim. Somewhat recommended due to my limited palate. I read all of the reviews here and really wonder if I'm smoking the same tobacco as them.

Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My tin was dated 1 year old. Upon opening, the tobacco was of perfect moisture content, however, anyone that does not like "McVinegar Virginia " will not like this tobacco . I happen to LOVE McVV and think McClellands Virginia is the best, it has a sweet and sour flavor that I crave. From the newly opened tin, I had a difficult time distinguishing it from "5100 Red Cake", which I rate at 4 stars . Aurora has slightly more "N" and flavor but only slightly, 5100 RC beats this on price.

After a few days of opening and closing the tin ,I found that the McVV had dissipated and you could really pick out the nuances of the Virginias. Some sour lemon, a hint of cocoa ,maybe even a pinch of Oriental Five Spice, it reminded me of the base of "Jubilee" without the Latikia, very tasty and totally smooth and without bite. This had developed into a very complex blend, especially for a straight Virginia. I realize that Perique is not listed , but I seem to detect a hint of that "basement" taste that I like from Perique.

As far as straight Virginia's go, I like this better than C&D's "Opening Night" as ON has a slight bite and not as complex. I will keep this in stock

smoke dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke dog (10)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Interesting smell from the tin. Definitely smell the "ketchup" fragrance people talk about, though it is not present during the smoke. Looks very nice in the tin, and not overly moist. Burned well once lit and gave a sweet taste through the nose with some spice on the tongue. Experienced little to NO bite, which is a wonderful thing in my book. Burns a touch hot, so toke slowy. Nice and smooth with a nice room note. Not a stale smoke smell left at all. I suggest picking up a tin and giving it a shot. Doubt you'll be disappointed.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Another hit from McClelland, and one of their Virginias with less ketchup/vinegar smell. This is a complex blend suitable for the contemplative smoker, providing subtle flavors. Sometimes sweet, sometimes earthy, sometimes grassy. Very enjoyable overall.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

This blend is cut as fine ribbon and, in the tin, the aroma is of the typical McClelland fruity ferment.

A blend of bright, red, and stoved black, this is a full spectrum virginia blend, indeed. If you know McC, then you know what to expect.

Though expectedly delicious, Aurora is basically a retread. Albeit presented in a finer cut, this is essentially equivalent to Butera's Royal Vintage Matured Ribbon.

Chamber Gauge: Medium

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (89)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It seems that whenever theres a flowery description of a blend it's because it needs it . Zzzzzzzzzzz . This blend is pretty flat and boring ... " Awaken to a dawning of tantalizing " ... give me a freakin break . Good quality tobacco that dosent stand out in any way . On the light side of medium for sure . The bowl developes a little but not much . With the number of blends out there I cant figure why McCll bothere making it . Nothing offensive but nothing to gain ... 2 stars

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

(03/16/2012) I have mixed experience and feelings for aurora. So I decided it's best not to rate at all. If you're not having problems described below, then I agree with most, it's perfect and I'd rate it highest possible. But tin after tin there's undeniable inconsinstency. so that's it.. I'm not rating.

==============

(12/15/2011) I'm taking back what I said before. This tin I got has nothing similar to do the one I reviewed before.

a) It doesn't get dry. At first try I let it sit for 2 hours, then at second try I let it sit for more. At third I got curious and after almost 3 days of drying time, to my surprise tobacco was as moist as it was out of tin. I don't know how much PG added but I have an idea, probably tobacco added to Propylene Glycol. It doesn't get dry!!

b) That famous ketchup aroma.. Ooookay we expect that from McClelland VA and actually love it.. but with this one the room note is ketchup too! And that never happened before. It's like a PG and ketchup bottle thrown in it. Worst part is the pipe I smoked Aurora in ruined for God knows how many smokes. For the last 3 smokes all I got was ketchup.

c) When I said it has nothing similar to one I reviewed before I was not joking. This one was hot air and wouldn't keep lit. To keep it going I had to scorch it with jet flame lighter like you do to a cigar, even so it wouldn't go on for more than 5 minutes. I used to rate Borkum Riff Original as No 1 in my Hall of Shame list but honestly that one has more flavor than this Aurora tin I got.

d) ready rubbed? Ribbon cut? none of that here. it's coarse cut & curly chunks which still stick together even after 3 days of air time

Looking at my previous review about happiness and all.. Well.. This one definetely "NOT" recommended.

==============

(03/05/2011) Mother of all PCCA blends. Aurora lets you see "the core" and gives a better understanding about the whole series... Meaning; You CAN buy happiness. McClelland sells it in 50g tins.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (132)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Plenty of flavor in this tin, the strength is perfect for an all day smoke. A sophisticated Virginia mixture, a smokers delight. The preservative smell is quite strong but does not mix with the rich taste while smoking. It does what it says on the tin. Burns flawlessly without drying. Nice after taste and no bite.

Charlie Allnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Charlie Allnut (16)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Here's lookin' at you, kid.

Aurora is the best of the best.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (107)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This blend is ok. I was disappointed but it didn't seems to be as good to me as the reviews here indicated. The baccy behaved well but the taste was a bit bland. I would rate it higher but I expect a premium priced blend to have a bit more flavor.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

On a few occasions, I have fallen madly in love with a blend at first light. A couple of times, the romance faded as I got into the second or third ounce. A couple of times, the tobacco has proven only to get better with the passage of time. This is one of the latter group. As excited as I was when I first lit a bowl of Aurora, it only gets better and better.

My first tin was just under a year old. Like all Virginias, it must be smoked slowly to avoid bite and get all the flavor and sweetness. There are more flavors when a little moist, so don't dry it out too much. It is perfect straight from the tin. The excellent ribbon cut makes it easy to pack, and it smokes great.

There is only a very mild ketchup aroma from McClelland's aged Virginia process, and it is not detected in the smoke. It is right up there with the best Virginias in terms of taste. Nicotine is not too strong. A great blend. I plan to purchase as many tins as I can afford, to smoke now and to age for my retirement.

As one who is passionate about Virginias, I can say that Aurora is one of the very best, and presently is my absolute favorite.

Update: newer tins are more on the savory end of the spectrum. With a year or more in the tin, this blend becomes sweeter and much more complex.

Update, April 2014: Time has not dulled my enthusiasm for this blend. It is worth repeating that, like any all-Virginias blend, it must be sipped slowly to avoid unpleasantness and fully enjoy the wonderful flavors.

Unlike those blends containing Latakia, Aurora leaves the breath relatively fresh: you might actually be able to get a kiss from your sweetie after Aurora!

A note on the nicotine: Aurora has an undeserved reputation for being light on the Vitamin N. Not so! But the nicotine comes on slowly. Instead of making your head swim and your guts churn, Aurora induces a strong sense of relaxation, and leaves you with a very mild but long-lasting buzz, and a mellow mood that stays with you long after the bowl is finished.

Pipe Used: Larger Billiards

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

UPDATE 12/16/14

This one has always confounded me because it looked like a McClellands, it smelled like a McClellands but it didn't taste like one. McC's virginias may be a lot of things but flat is not one of them. Well, apparently 4 years of age opens this one up considerably. I stumbled upon what was left of my 2nd tin which had been jarred and fired up a bowl. It was much better this go 'round...richer, deeper and just a bit more complex. The various VA leaves seem to meld better. Still not a world beater but very smokable and enjoyable. I doubt I'll buy anymore but I smoked 4 bowls of this over a couple of days and all I can say is if you buy it, you might want to let it sit for several years before smoking. Three stars.

UPDATE 4/28/12

As I suspected, Aurora does a bit better with some cellar time. But only slightly. This is still a very simple blend, lacking any real depth, a trait I find odd for a McClellands virginia. But the flavor asserted itself just a tad more. There was more tang and a hair more sweetness. But 2 stars is still plenty. I'm with Ruffinogold on this one... perfectly fine, no glaring faults, but this is one that could have stayed in the recipe rolodex. It still doesn't distinguish itself the way most McClellands VA's do.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

This may be the first McClelland virginia or Vaper I've smoked that didn't score at least a 3. Most of them are pushing 4 stars for me. This one didn't do so well.

Beautiful looking tobacco with that gorgeous McClelland fermented virginia aroma! McClelland VA's supplant new car smell as the finest smell in the world for me. Unfortunately, the look and tin aroma of this blend were its two best features. This isn't a bad blend by any means; it simply doesn't distinguish itself in any way. The flavor was much too light, bordering on flat. No red VA richness present and very little tang. This tasted like a subdued Rattrays Dark Fragrant, which by itself is subdued enough, thank you very much. Red VA, in particular, typically has a lot of character, but this blend failed to realize its potential. Soft and mellow, to be sure, but no underlying richness and about as much depth as a puddle. Blowing smoke out the nose helped but didn't elevate this one beyond mediocre.

I think our friend Aurora needs more time in the cellar, as I smoked a tin marked 2010. To be fair, I will update this review in a year to see if this blend has improved with age. By all rights, it should.

jds669 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jds669 (2)

This is my first Virginia as well as my first review. I found this a very enjoyable blend. I wasn't sure what all the reviews I read about McClelland tins having a Ketchup order was about; the only other tin I have opened was Syrian Ringlow Reserve and it smelled like spice. But this one sure had a ketchup aroma. This tobacco improved in taste about a week after opening.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This isn't a thorough review, as I've only smoked a third of a tin. That said, I decided to put the open tin back in the cellar. It's just too...vapid right now. I believe it needs more air time and/or age on it. This tin has been opened now for 3-4 weeks, and so the last couple small bowls I had of it showed some promise. With a bit more time, I have little doubt my plan will work. (I hope, I bought a handful of these puppies). Unfortunately, I find 5100 'Red Cake' to be more satisfying. Nothing wrong with Red Cake, mind you, but the premium a tin goes for, and the addition of stoved VA should make Aurora a hands down winner. As it stands, it tastes like a less monochromatic, but weaker Red Cake wannabe. My tins are all stamped 2009, so maybe a few years of age are in order? Time will tell. I'll post an update down the road.

Country Doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Doc (20)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

OK this is a clear winner right out of the gate. No work required – excellent, full, rich Virginia sweetness, relatively cool smoking and no bite. I have tried Union Square and definitely prefer Aurora.

A beautiful smoke.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Mild None Detected Full Very Pleasant

This is an excellent virginia. Sweet, tangy, wonderful smell. This just vaulted into my top 2 smokes.

No bite, no nose sting, stays lit, lots of smoke.

This stuff is just awesome.

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)

Wow this is great quality virginia, straight up and no nonsense. Sweet and tasty with that tangy almost BBQ'ish quality these guys know how to pull out of the blend. If you like your virginia unhampered by the sting and twang of perique, this is a winner. After enjoying Aurora, I see where blends such a McClelland's Samsun and Dark Star get incredible their base flavor. These guys know how to do a virginia. I also find this an excellent base to blend in other premium tobaccos of all variety. Great stuff!

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I can only say that this is a real treat, its sweet, spicy along midway, full hue of misty smoke,..Not overbaring in any degree. Well done!!!, I filled my number 3 Nording and smoked an easy hour.There is an old ad we all know from maxll house coffee, ( good to the last drop), smoke this till the last ember, get aquanited with it, if you have a smoking room and are watching TV or reading, my guess is that you will be filling another bowl.Again McClelland reigns in the world of pipe tobacco. I rarely can finish a tin a week, but I buy one every week and down to the cellar it goes. I do want to say that I have never got a ketchup or vinager aroma from any tin, where that came from I'll never understand, after 35 years of pipe smoking I should like to think I know a little about pipe tobacco, and after eating all my life I know what ketchup smells like, and it ain't tobacco. 5 stars in my " I love McClelland book of smoking".

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)

This is very smilar other McClelland Va...Its ribbon cut, light and dark Va...Tin almost dry...Perfect...

Nicotine level is medium to low...Its morning pipe for me...I cant smoke after dinner...

Easy pack and lit...

Generally I like this stuff...But its not in my top 10...

Cheers

Room Note: Pleasant sweet scent

vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is good stuff! I have tins ranging in age from new to 9 years old. i always seem to taste orange and baked bread. I love this in tall bowls in the morning. When this tobacco gets some age on it the taste really blossoms. New tins can lead you to puff too hard looking for flavor, but no worries give it a year and the tobacco "comes to life".Stock up!

krumpelman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krumpelman (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This blend is nothing short of amazing. There have not been many blends that I would say were amazing. This, however is one of them. Easily my "desert island" tobacco. The great sweet taste of virginias with the stoved virginias give this blend great body and flavor. The most pleasurable part for me about this blend is the notes of carmel. Burns well and lights easy with minimal drying. This is a blend I will be buying a few tins of.

coreyb2003 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
coreyb2003 (1)

I am fairly new to pipe smoking first of all. I have been doing it about a year or so. I have dove in whole heartedly and tried many different virginia tobaccos. I am very fond of the grand oriental series from mcclelland. But this new blend has so much going on I believe it is one of the sweetest mild virginia blends I have ever tasted. Very little tongue bite and the lemon virginia can really be tasted well on the finish. If you are a virginia smoker this would be a must add to your rotation of tobaccos.

pipewhisperer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipewhisperer (6)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I smoked a sample bowl of Aurora at Chicago and was very impressed with its smoothness, even while suffering from chalk tongue. After I returned home, I tried another bowlful in an unsmoked vintage Mastercraft Algerian briar. I cannot recall ever smoking a smoother, more flavorful "first bowl" in any pipe I've owned. Subsequent bowls were just as pleasant. The taste was very similar to McCranies Red Ribbon, but with a bit wider range of "high notes". Absolutely no bite and smooth as silk. The room note was more subdued than the typical gamut of Virginias I usually smoke. This tobacco is definitely a long term cellar candidate! I'll have to order ten more tins to feel secure in coming days.

oldsouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldsouth (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

What a treat! This tobacco delivers in depth, and natural sweetness. I just finished it for my after dinner smoke. McClelland tobacco once again delivers! Where has this blend been all my life? Try this blend, that apparently most folks don't know about.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (140)

A ribbon mix of dark stoved and red virginias. Well balanced so neither completely dominates. P&T reports it is the best Virginia blend out there. I do not concur, but it is certainly not bad in any way.

The two strong virginas produce plenty of flavor fullness. Maybe too much for some. Burns easy.

The balance is good but a drawback if you love red virginias only (bulk "red cake") or just adore dark stoved blends (Butera "dark stoved"). That is, the scent and sweetness of the reds are there but restrained by the darker virginias which are constantly sneaking through. Yet the darker taste does not completely dominate. Nevertheless, an interesting combo.

Due to the body of the tobaccos, this is not a mild blend for beginners I feel. Still smoother burning that a shag cut mixture of the reds and stoves (another one of McClelland's numbered virginia tinned blends).

A quality blend, but it simply did not have enough "red" in it to satisfy me on the first tin go 'round.

BigMonsterTruck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigMonsterTruck (5)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you can get ahold of the original tinning, you are in for a real treat. This blend has been redone at least twice with a similar flavor profile. However, I recall the first time I lit up with the original, it was nothing short of wonderful. That tin disappeared in about a week, which is very fast for this reviewer who usually smokes less than an ounce per week. It may have been the memory of the moment, but I am not sure if the new tinnings are as good. That will not keep me from buying the new batch as soon as it is available.