A blend of Golden Virginias. Mild, nice blend. If
you like Virginias this is a wonderful smoke.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
Blended ByDan Boswell
Strength
Taste

3.1
Hanzy4200 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hanzy4200 (4)

As always, Boswells delivers. It is ever so lightly cased, just enough to compliment the natural sweetness of the Virginias. I was visually put off by this blend, as it looks identical to common cigarette rolling tobacco to my untrained eyes. One touch and sniff reveals something far more refined. I do find that it will burn fast and hot if smoked to quickly. Overall, another excellent blend by Boswells.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentelman

Purchased From: Boswells

ski2liv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ski2liv (16)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

What a tasty little collection of Virginias! It's exactly as they describe on their website. It's a well bodied blend that is an excellent cool smoke. The thin ribbon cut is a pleasure to pack and smoke. It doesn't bite and has a very pleasant room note considering the natural flavors that come through. It's got a warm, meaty, full flavor and is really nice all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Relights are just as pleasant and the sweetness of the Virginias comes though, though is not overpowering. I tend to walk a fine line between natural flavoring and aromatics. This falls a little too far to the natural side for me, as I miss the sweetness of some Black Cavendish in this blend. But for what it is, it's quite nice. My biggest complaint is that the aftertaste of Virginia tobacco is quite prevalent. And since I don't smoke every day, it's a little too much on the back end for my liking. For someone trying to move away from aromatics, or looking for a Virginia punch without the dryness or kick- here's a great blend. Overall- not one of my favorites from Boswell, but it's also not really the type I normally go to.

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Boswell B+M Visit

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is a wonderful Virginia on the mild side. If you are a fan of stuff like Ashton Gold Rush and MacB's Virginia No. 1, you will love this. These tobaccos always feel like ticking time bombs. The flavor zen is only maintainable if you meter your puffs super carefully, and there is always that possibility of stoking it over the edge to a tongue burning mess. Dan's blend from Boswell's allows you to enjoy great light Virginia flavor without this risk.

The cut is a fine ribbon that packs and lights with ease. Initial third of bowl offers a sweetness that reminds this smoker of toasted white bread crust sprinkled with sugar. It then settles into familiar light haylike notes with subdued sweetness. Bottom third has a little tang. Very clean burning and tasting.

Mild tobaccos can be monotonous. This is not. The flavor changes are subtle. If you are looking for more intense flavors, seek elsewhere. Otherwise, a most amazing smoke.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (24)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I am updating my review of this blend as I have been through quite a bit of it. Now first, and foremost--if you are looking for a power house, strong grab yah by the throat blend---this is not for you. First off---nice yellow/golden/blonde ribbon cut Virginias. As a bulk blend even after aging it has a VERY subtle vanilla, natural hay like tone. Packing my pipe, and a nice charring light it starts out nice. As I smoke this, and allow a nice slow smoke--be it morning, noon, afternoon, or evening I notice that subtle flavor of the Virginias--like fresh mowed hay in the field. It has perhaps a slight vanilla hint, but folks I am a fanatic when it comes to Virginias--I love them. Dans blend delivers a superior mild all day smoke that is low in nicotine, does not bite back, and I find myself loading my pipe often through the day with this as it is a VERY SUBTLE tobacco that has a detectable flavor, but is far from over whelming. Some say it lacks character, flavor, and is like smoking air---I firmly disagree---take your time--enjoy that VERY subtle hint of freshly mowed hay with a ever so slight hint of vanilla--I do not know if this is natural, or added, but this baccy is wonderful if just gently smoked as an all day pipe of baccy. Give it a chance---I have--smoke it regular now for several years--even in hot, humid weather---this stuff does not have the smack of the heavy blends---thats why I like it. I love heavy Latakias, and other stuff, but this tobby is one that when smoked is like leading an old horse who is your best friend around. It doesn't bite, kick, or misbehave---GREAT all day smoke. Just smoke it slow, and allow the the natural flavors to develope.

Attack Duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Attack Duck (1)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I wanted to like this as it smells gorgeous in the bottle where I've had it aging for a year or so. But it just tastes like moist air. Other Boswell aromatics which I have had much more flavor, even though I rarely do the aromatic thing nowadays.

I would recommend you give this a pass.

SmoothSmokin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmoothSmokin (7)

This a solid no nonsense golden Virgina. The taste is rather bland, but thats what i love about it. There is no trace of topping or outside flavors; just mild mild Virginia.

Some may find this blend rather dull and unexciting if your used to highly cased aromatics. I find my self reaching for this tobacco more and more. If your busy and don't want to spend the time to discover the nuances of complex blends, this is a definite go to.

Dan's blend is an all day smoke thats definitely worth giving a chance.

Loser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loser (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Dan's blend is one of my favorites i've ever ordered from Boswell, i've been told it smells like caramel & vanilla by people that do not smoke pipes. it is a definite crowd pleaser. i recently stopped buying it only so that i wouldn't get sick of it, I wanted to try a few of the other blends they offer which i am reviewing one at a time. I will most definitely be buying Dan's blend again!

i'm a firm believer that pipe tobaccos generally won't give you tongue bite once you learn how to smoke them although this is not always the case. therefore i generally won't discuss this matter in my reviews. most of Boswell's blends will not give you tongue bite and i refuse to type that time and time again.

Leafmaster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leafmaster (3)

This is 100% Virginia so I fired up my dedicated Virginia pipe and gave it a try. Moisture was just about right and the string cut was easy to light and keep lit. It burned all the way down to white ash and maintained its strength throughout. I cannot agree this tastes like air; to me it tastes like solid Virginia although not as good or have the depth as some other Virginias that cost more. If you like Virginia, try this. It could be an all day smoke for you.

smokey stover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey stover (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Just received three of my pipes back from Boswell,s after being cleaned and having the stems repaired. Boy -do they do nice work! Included was a sample of Dan's Blend. On opening the pack I noted the uniform honey gold color and pleasant aroma of Virginia/Burley tobacco. It looks like all Virginia. Ribbon cut and easy to pack. Reminds me of Sail.Easy to pack and light. Very mild. No nicotine kick whatsoever.From first puff to last the nutty flavor was quite subtle and without any tongue bite. Very pleasant room note - it smells like it tastes. I would order this as a nice change off from time to time. Still like Granger as my all day smoke.

student Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
student (21)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

For those that don't know, Dan is one of J.M. Boswells sons. Like Father, Like Son. Dan has put togather what I consider to be one of the finest Virginia blends around. The tobacco starts off like most VA's, a tad bitey and then almost immediately setles down and becomes a very enjoyable smoke. The typical VA distant sweetness is there but make no mistake, this is not an aromatic. Rather, it is a wonderful blend of red and gold virginias. IMHO a sure winner

gorealestate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gorealestate (28)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I had to smoke this blend several times to give an accurate review in the hopes that my opinion would change. But here goes?..this blend is mostly Virginia long ribbon cut and is a very light colored blend & very stringy. I found myself having to constantly re-light no matter how I packed it or what pipe I used. Contained a few stems which was not very impressive. The pouch aroma is very mild if any. Upon lighting this up, I was waiting for FLAVOR. There is very, very little flavor. This blend has very little character and is just ?bland? to say the least. Not much going on & very boring to say the least. Tongue bite is non- existent. A little too mild for me. Almost like smoking air. I coundn't not notice a difference between this blend and "Boswell's Best". But then again, when there is no flavor, there is nothing to compare!