Red Virginia, Matured Virginia, and Stoved Virginia are delicately spiced with just the right amount of Perique to create a rich and complex blend whose character evolves and emerges throughout the bowl.

BrandPeretti
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A sweet VaPer with a delicious red Virginia ably complimented by the other Virginias. It does have a little of the McClelland taste that smokers of that company's products will find familiar. However, in this blend, it's very mild and does not interfere with the flavor. It has enough perique add a little sweet spice, and it balances out the smoke. Burns well and even, and is a pleasant experience for the VaPer smoker who wants a mild sweetness in the mix.

Lagniappe92 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lagniappe92 (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Honestly one of the best VA/Periques out there. Park Square is wonderfully blended and easy to handle as far as packing. L.J. has been making this blend for years and I was told this particular blend was made personally for Ramsey Macdonald, former prime minister of Britian. It shows.

Park Square is easy to light and stays lit well. It is more on the moist side, but not too moist. It burns rather cool with little to no bite. I agree with previous reviewers that it should be puffed slowly rather than chugged through. The perique is noticeable, but not overpowering and makes for a great evening smoke.

There's a reason L.J. Peretti has been around for ever. They do it right. Park Square is a great example of Peretti's fine quality. Highly recommend it!

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (16)

has great balance everything seems to come together with this blend smoke it slow and enjoy it. I will be ageing some to see how it turns out

Pipe Used: poker

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm working my way through a big Peretti order most of which are superb. I was less impressed with this Vaper offering. The VAs are nice and mellow. The Perique is not overpowering. But there is a mildly annoying casing reminiscent of magnolia blossoms beginning each bowl. Thankfully it dissipates into a very nice sour note (I'm not getting the sweetness others speak of). At best this is a savory/sour light bodied Vaper. All quality leaf, but the strange casing makes it only somewhat recommended.

Lowbar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lowbar (2)

As a novice and someone who prefers English/Balkan blends, the VA/Per category is one I have not delved into much. I got a sample of this along with several others, and on first try I set it aside as one I did not much like.

Now, four months later, I have retried it and have to say I'm impressed. Probably one of the main problems for me at first was my inexperience and failure to smoke slowly enough to enjoy this type of blend. Now I'm a bit better, and I had three bowls of this today and enjoyed them immensely. The tin note is lovely, dried fruits and wine dominating, and the smoke, when cool and sipped, is flavorful, rich, and smooth. I still get a bit of bite and heat in the bowl, but again my bad not the tobacco (based on my understanding of the qualities of this type of tobacco).

Love it......

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

SteelCowboy hit a home run with his review as far as I'm concerned. This is indeed as naturally sweet a Vaper blend as I've ever smoked. A little too heavy on the Perique and not enough strength to make this one a bellringer for me, but it sure had a nice taste... and, as SteelCowboy said, it is best sipped rather than gulped.

Peretti doesn't release a bad blend. This is another jewel that has made their starting lineup.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Every so often I enjoy a nice Vaper as a chage of pace. I tend to like Vapers that are on the sweet side. Park Square hits the mark for me. The pouch aroma is great as are the wonderful Virginia colors. I enjoy sipping this slowly after letting it dry out a bit as it does arrive (in the paint can!) a bit moist. If Vapers that have a sweet tang are your thing, this fine offering from Peretti's shouldn't be missed. I think a couple of years in the cellar will only serve to make this even more outstanding.

Mongo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mongo (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Park Square, a mixture of many Virginias and Perique, is one of LJ Peretti's house blends. Sold by weight, it's packaged in metal paint cans when purchased 8 or 16 ounces at a time. A yellow paper label is wrapped around each can, with the blend name and the blenders initials hand-written on it.

Park Square arrives at the perfect moisture level. It's a bit drier than many tinned tobaccos, and no drying is necessary before packing and lighting. It packs easily, and in my experience it's best packed with a light hand.

The blend is made up of a number of Virginias, including light, matured, and stoved, plus Perique. The blend is an absolute riot of color, with shades of light yellow, medium chestnut-brown, deep reddish-brown, and black amongst the tobaccos. The ribbons are cut in varying widths. Just looking at the blend makes my mouth water. The blend smells as you would expect given the constituent tobaccos, with no noticeable aroma of anything other than tobacco.

The Virginias are masterfully blended here, providing the entire range of Virginia flavors. The Perique is added with a light hand, helping to balance the blend perfectly. There's a bit of something else here as well, a flavor that I've noted in some other Peretti blends. I don't know if it's a topping, or something left from Peretti's treatment their tobaccos, but it works well in this blend. It lasts just a few minutes, and then it's gone.

Lighting this blend is very easy. The charring light will burn for a while if you want it to. It's never taken more than two lights for me to get a bowl of Park Square going. It requires few relights along the way, especially if packed a bit looser than normal.

The first part of the bowl is all about the Virginias. The Perique is there, but just as a balancing element. The Peretti flavoring is noticeable at first, but it's unobtrusive and quickly dissipates. The tobacco burns well, and requires only the occasional light tamping to keep it going.

As the bowl progresses, the Perique becomes a bit more noticeable. Still, it's primarily a balancing element rather than a primary flavor. The bright sweetness of the light Virginias softens a bit through the middle of the bowl.

The moisture level while smoking is about average, requiring two or three pipe cleaners per bowl when I smoke it.

The flavors deepen a bit toward the bottom, though the change isn't radical. The blend remains well balanced to the end. It's not difficult to smoke this one all of the way down, leaving an extremely fine gray-white ash behind. I find that it's very easy to clean out the tobacco chamber after smoking this tobacco. It doesn't build cake very quickly at all (which is fine by me).

Park Square can bite if you puff hard, but that's true of virtually every blend that contains lighter Virginias. Although it's very nice smoked normally, this blend really rewards very slow smoking snd, especially, breath smoking. There are enough different flavors here to make the blend interesting from start to finish.

I'm a big fan of Virginia/Perique blends. Although I generally lean toward such blends with more Perique, Park Square is one of my favorite blends of this genre. This isn't an everyday blend for me, bit I'd miss it if it was gone. I feel very fortunate that Peretti is still blending tobaccos of this quality.

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

This is an OK Virginia Blend its have a very nice flavor and its Consistent. But nothing to rave about. It can be a bit bitey if not carefull. But there is better Virginias on the market with the same price point.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This blend came highly recommended to me so I purchased four oz. to see if it really matched the reports. I'm happy to say that it does. PS has a nice wine-like scent in the pouch that makes one look forward to smoking it. It lights easily and stays lit with a minimum of relights.

The taste is excellent, the slightly sweet tang of the three VAs balanced perfectly by the Perique in the blend. It's very rare for a tobacco to be this perfectly proportioned and shows just how skilled a blender Robert Peretti is, surely he is one of the world's finest. The only blemish on this fine tobacco is that prices have risen quite a bit. To be fair, this is an industry-wide trend, but at $45/lb. PS is an expensive tobacco.

Scores for PS: 18 out of 20 for taste; 9 out of 10 for burn; 7 out of 10 for value. 34 points makes Park Square a solid ** tobacco and another in a long line of winners for L.J. Peretti.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Oh! This is some really good baccy. I generally do not like VaPer mixtures at all, but this is excellent. It is so masterfully blended it comes off as almost an aromatic. If you can imagine Deep Hollow meeting Haddo's Delight and combining the 2, you get a very good idea what this is all about. It is simply silky smooth, rich, and sumptuous. This is for all VaPer lovers and those who think they do not like VaPer mixtures. Please, if you try 1 new tobacco this year make it PARK SQUARE. 4 of 4 stars!

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

This is one of the house blends put together by the Perreti company at their store in Boston. Here is the description of the blend on their website:

Red Virginia, Matured Virginia and Stoved Virginia are delicately spiced with just the right amount of Perique to create a rich and complex blend whose character evolves and emerges throughout the bowl.

Boy was I surprised by the appearance and texture of this blend. It is listed on tobaccoreviews as a ?broken flake? but the sample that I got would be classified more as a ribbon cut. The only word that I can think of to describe it is fluffy. It is very fluffy and springy and at first appearance appears to be really damp. Boy was I wrong. This blend seems to defy the moisture rules that I have come to learn. Packing it was extremely easy and it pushed down into the bowl without any pressure having to be exerted on it.

The light was also easy. I had to wait for it to go out after the false light because it wanted to keep going!! Once this was lit it was off to the races!! I now see why this is one of everyone?s favorites. And again I am surprised at the quality and taste of a ?house blend?. This is sold in bulk and like AJ?s VaPer and Anniversary Kake the taste and behavior of this blend outshines many of the more expensive tinned blends. The taste and burn stayed pretty consistent throughout the whole bowl. Doesn?t smoke hot and there is very little dottle when you get to the bottom.

I would classify this one as a mild to medium blend that could be smoked all day long if you wanted to. It has about a medium amount of Perique in it. Not the most I?ve smoked in a blend but certainly not the least either. It is also very smooth when you smoke it. The different tastes play off of each other but never outshine each other. I think that they mixed the individual components of this blend perfectly

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)

Intro: I have smoked many VA/Perique blends and have enjoyed almost all of them, yet none have ever stood out like Peretti's "Park Square". It has established itself as my main blend of this genre. Loved by many respectable pipemen, Park Square is a diamond in a mountain of rubies.

Appearance: Dark red, brown and black ribbon/loose-cut leaf. Pretty even ratio of all three.

Pouch smell: Cloves, pepper and fruity wine.

Smoking quality: Park Square burns cool, dry and leaves the pipe clean. It can bite if pushed hard which is only to be expected given the nature of this blend. When treated properly, relights are a minimum.

Taste: Upon the initial puff, one tastes the sweetness of the Virginias. Soon, the spiciness of the Perique kicks in and it all comes together in a well-balanced flavor of subtle sweet with a dash of peppery spice. It is best when smoked slow and savored. The fullness gradually grows throughout the bowl but never becomes overpowering. Eventually, it goes out and will not relight. Turn the pipe over and see the soft white fluffy ash fall out of the bowl and into your ashtray. You will feel sad at first that the smoke is finished, but there is always more. You will want more.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is not a clone of some other Virginia/Perique blend, it is different. Unique. The combination of tobaccos provide for a smooth, pleasant sweetness that seems to be augmented by just a touch of whatever it is they add to their burleys with. The Perique is added judiciously - there is no danger of it overwhelming the blend.

Overall you get a very smooth, sweet, slightly tangy smoke with a twist here and there. No bite, easy burn, good price, highly recommended.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)

I never thought of myself as a Perique addict, but Park Square did make me reconsider given that I found myself always wishing that there was more of that component in this otherwise fine blend. That historic tobacconist did a very fine job with the three Virginias, presenting a very broad flavor range that can be had from the leaf. They were sweet yet subdued and never overwhelming. There was Perique, yes, and I had been given to believe that it was a prominent feature of the mixture. It really seemed like it was just along for the ride, though, as it never exerted a strong enough influence on the taste. With every smoke from the one pound tin I ordered, I imagined that if that Perique dosage were just increased, I would be taken on a strange but joyous ride. The complex though quiet Virginias already there could have made this happen, I think, but old L. J. decided to play it safe this time.

Park Square should provide interesting opportunity for experimentation through augmentation with a tin of pure Perique, should I ever find the need to order either again.