Balanced and smooth, this is an English mixture with subtle and sweet aromatic properties - a ribbon cavendish comprised of lemon Virginias, AAA burleys and the best Latakia available. Genuine St. James Parish perique and fine Turkish grades insure great taste and satisfaction to the most discriminating smoker.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging50 grams pouch, bulk
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
2.3

Another sample provided to my pipe club by Altadis awhile back; I finally smoked a couple of bowls recently. Hey, I'm glad I did because this tobacco was loaded with all kinds of stuff (Burley,Cavendish, Virginia, latakia, Perique & Turkish). There was even some hint of added flavoring that, although unidentifiable, added to the overall effect.

It packed well, stayed lit well, offered some decent mellowness and didn't kill any family members when I lit up in the living room. They did leave quickly though.

Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (9)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

While this is a very tasty blend with plenty of latakia flavor, it bites like a pit bull. I've smoked plenty of Altadis aromatics and none of them bite like this. The culprit, I suspect, is the Virginias. If you are very careful with this, it can be a rewarding, although by no means every day smoke.

Criblo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Criblo (14)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I was at my local B&M and was not too impressed with their selection of English blends in tins. I am a huge fan of the Sutliff Krumble Cake English #1 so I bought a pouch of this hoping it would be decent. It wasn't. There is some taste of latakia and a light Englishness that is tarnished with a terrible bitterness. Also the stuff will bite you well before the pipe gets warm. This is one of the worst English blends I ever had and it we t into the trash because I could not see myself ever putting this in a pipe again.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob

Purchased From: Local shop

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28690)

In my experiance, altadis blends seem to follow a certain criteria: they are overly moist, and they burn hot. Case and point, they give me tounge bite.

Finally, I found a tobacco where this is NOT the case. Although it still burns a little on the warm side, it isn't nearly as bad as other altadis blends.

Tastes good, and most people around me say they can barely smell it, even when I'm indoors smoking. Mild room note, but the flavor isn't! I reccomend this to other smokers looking for a good all day english.