Blending tobacco. A mixture of Turkish varietals.

Blend TypeOriental
ContentsOriental/Turkish
Strength
Taste

Not a bad smoke so long as you use a small bowl. There's a light spice, and a little sweet and sour mix, and can tingle your tongue just a little, as it's meant to do. Actually, I find it better as a mixer than smoking it straight, though a cigarette smoker may disagree with me. Two and a half stars on its own, three as a mixture ingredient.

MikePhillips Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikePhillips (9)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I recently picked up some blending tobaccos to experiment a little and see what sort of blend I could come up with for myself. Among these is a pound of this Turkish Izmir, and because I'm curious by nature, had to try each of those by themselves.

These tobaccos are all relatively dry (except the perique), but frankly that's how I like my tobacco to be before it goes into the pipe. I find very few tobaccos blends dry enough to be suitable for smoking directly from the tin (or rope, etc).

This Izmir is sweet and mild, with a deep and wonderfully subtle flavor and reasonably pleasant aroma. Easy to keep burning and impossible to make it bite (I tried), with a pure tobacco flavor that anybody who loves tobacco for itself would find addictive. It might remind you of a cigarette, or maybe it'll just make you think about what a cigarette should be and remind you of why you're smoking a pipe instead.

I'll keep several ounces of this around just to smoke by itself, it's such a pleasant smoke.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am told that this tobacco is the same as I reviewed under Mars Cigars & Pipes "Turkish Ribbon Cut." You will find my thoughts there.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I am reviewing several C+D blending tobaccos as a precursor to some blending experiments. I know not many people blend, but these reviews may provide some hints to those wanting to do so.

The mid range Turkish blend which provides that "sweet and sour" and woodsy note to balkan blends. Probably not what most would smoke on their own but a unique experience. Good burning qualities and a nicely spiced.