Dark-fired Virginias and bright Virginias are combined and pressed with flavors of clove essence.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutPlug
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium to Full, Full

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

I just took some 12-year old Bosun Plug out of my cellar and went to work on it. With a tobacco this strong, it is best to leave it in broken chunk form without further rubbing out. That allows for a slower burn rate and lets the powerful, naturally sweet Lakeland flavor really shine. And, typical of the G&H Lakeland tobaccos, the long stoving process leaves the blend virtually biteless. You can puff on it like a freight train and your tongue won't get nipped... You may pass out due to the strength though.

The nose tingling "extra" provided by the natural clove is a real plus as it intertwines nicely with the strong Lakeland style Virginia leaf. The tobacco, dry to begin with, can be loaded up right from the pouch and burns dry all the way to the bottom. Too stout in both strength and flavor to be considered an all-day smoke, this tobacco is absolutely terrific as an early evening accompaniment to a stout beer while sitting on the back patio and looking out over the back forty.

Highly recommended stuff!

albo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albo (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I had no idea that soapy meant this soapy. It is literally like smoking flakes of a bar of fragranced hand soap. Not for me. I wouldnt mind something like this hiding in the background, but this stuff just makes me retch. Plus it ghosts up the pipe something terrible. You need to have a pipe dedicated to this stuff.

Maybe an amateur mistake but be warned this is no standard 'unscented' tobacco.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bosun Cut Plug Unscented is…well…scented. But nowhere near the amount of others in the Lakeland group of tobaccos. The pouch scent is more floral than soapy. The long flakes dry fairly easily and I prefer to cut them into small pieces. Like all the GH tobaccos I have tried, the tobacco appears to be of very high quality. It burns with a little bit of sweetness and I like the flavor of the dark fired as it comes through nicely. It also has a pretty good nic hit too. But with that said, even if the underlying tobacco is of great quality, if you don’t like the scent, the quality of the tobacco is kind of meaningless. I enjoy a lot of Lakeland style blends, but this particular scent is off-putting to me. I don’t like clove. I don’t like it in ham, let alone in tobacco. Like most of the tobaccos from the Lake District, it should be smoked in a pipe dedicated to blends of that style. I do think that this is a very good tobacco for lovers of Lakeland style blends that don’t mind this particular topping. I also think that this will cellar very well.

Age When Smoked: New to 3 years

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very nice tobacco. I much prefer the scented version only because that is where my tastes take me. You can definately taste a really great virginia, in fact if one can put the clove scents aside, this leaf smacks a good resemblence to Peace's Union Square for me at least. That being said, this could be a great bridging tobacco for those of you who wish to try your hand with the Kendle variety.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The word "unscented" in the title is a bit misleading due to the clove essence added but it's hardly overpowering and not the least offputting. It reared its head from time to time in the smoke and added an additional dimension to the smoke. The scent was quite noticeable in the bag.

This had almost a burley body and character to it, due to the African variety of dark-fired VA's. Reminded me of a milder version of Dark Flake. The flavor was earthy moreso than sweet. I tested Pipestud's theory of no bite and he is correct. Even heavy puffing failed to elicit the slightest tingle. It did make the flavor overbearing, however. And if Pipestud says it's the stoving that keeps the bite away, I have to believe him!

I enjoyed this, although it's not something I'll probably smoke much of in the future. It failed to excite me as many of the other G&H blends do. But it's a nice, fairly robust blend that won't bully the smoker but will give him a nice clean natural smoke.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been enjoying blends of this genre for awhile now, and recieved a baggie of this in a box pass. It is a good blend in and of itself, but not one that I did carwheels over nor one that I just thought was just OK. It actually is a pleasant smoke, has plenty of the sweet Va taste with just a whiff of the clove flavoring every now and then. In the bag, it is a broken flake and does require a little rubbing out and needs to be allowed to dry somewhat for it to smoke well or it will bite. It is a pretty uniform brown color with no light or dark tobaccos intermingled. It has a sweet, somewhat tart pouch aroma and it packs very easy and stays lit very well. It burns nice and slow down to a dark grey ash and little dottle in the bottm of the bowl. It smokes dry for me, does not leave any moisture in the bottom of the bowl. The smoke itself is rich and creamy and rich. It could very easily be an all day smoke as smoked right, there is no tongue bite and the blend will not overwhelm you. But it at the same time does not have the dimentions that I like in a Va blend. Tastes the same from start to finish. I would say try this blend for a nice smoke, just don't expect it to knock your socks off.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Good tobacco. If not for a previous reviewer however, I would have thought they mis- shipped and sent me the scented version! Quite a scent here, and I have a strong preference for no scents or casings. But this one (of cloves) and the Lakeland scent, is not sweet or candy-ish, or cute, no vanilla or chocolate or any of that ilk. No, no sweetness at all. Perhaps the unscented version leaves out the Geranium stuff, which is fine by me.

It is a full, satisfying smoke, with highest quality tobacco (as expected from the Gawith family). The overall impression is spicy, something I have not hitherto encountered. Because of the spiciness one couldn't call it smooth, but harsh it is not. Broken flake, available in the U.S. (as far as I know) in bulk only. Which means it arrived too dry for me, but (despite my many rants) will likely please many. Probably has the best room note of any tobacco that I enjoy, what with the clove scent and all. If you enjoy fuller tobaccos, this is worth exploring. The Lakeland flavor has been around for a couple of hundred years, so I've little doubt that it grows on one. There is a lot of it here.

Beyond the scent(s)/flavoring my only real issue with this is the name. I have trouble with the mental image of a tough and grizzled Bosun smoking anything clove scented...

No, I think the Bosun in question would smoke (or chew) Brown Rope.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

I ordered a couple ounces of this awhile back, and could not stomach it initially. So I vacuum sealed it, and put it in my "for later" box. Tonight, for some strange reason, I decided it was time to give this stuff another go.

First of all folks, do not attempt this blend as your first foray into the lakeland tobaccos. Even though it says that it is "unscented", BCP unscented is full of lakeland scent and flavor. I have three lakeland flakes currently in my lineup, and this one about tore out the little dangly thing in the back of my throat with its raw soapiness.

The tobacco comes as basically a broken flake, but is easily rubbed out to fine strands. However, you do not want to fully rub it out, as this will intensify the astringent quality of the flavor. Just kind of break it up and stuff it into the bowl, gently messaging it in. A few fine crumbles on top to aid in lighting, and thankfully this is accomplished in short order.

On first light, the intense floral/soapy taste and aroma invades your senses. And it is intense. It settles down fairly quickly, though, so I only had to hold my breath for a few seconds. The tobacco very soon developed a slightly spicy/meaty taste, almost like McClelland's Dominican Glory Maduro without the trademark McClelland vinegar aroma. The clove essense did not come through as a clove flavor, simply a nice spiciness.

About midway through the bowl, the floral bouqet was still flirting with my taste buds, and the astringent smell was still hanging over my head. But, the overall sensation of the tobacco was settling into something wonderful. It was meaty, spicy, creamy, sweet, zesty. A lot of intricate interplay of flavors going on here. I was pleased. A little nauseated from the nicotine wallop, but pleased nonetheless.

It finished fairly dry, and down to a nice ash. The taste lingered on my palate for quite awhile, but not in a really invasive manner; just kind of the afterthought of the smoke. The aroma, however, lingered on my coat for quite awhile. This is a strong tobacco, very stout in character, strength, and flavor. Not for the timid. This is what Popeye would have smoked (both the cartoon character and Doyle).

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This may be unscented, but boy is it ever scented! I contacted my etailer just to be sure I ordered the right stuff. I was told, and I agree, that the Lakeland folks' idea of unscented may be just a little different than ours. (read: 'ours'= the rest of the world). At any rate, this is some tastey flake. My bulk 1/2 pound (a brave first sample, I think) came as a slightly broken flake. Through the sack it smells very floral; a bit like Bob's Square Cut, though less tangy and much richer. That means it doesn't smell (or taste) anything like Bob's Choc. There's no clove aroma to my nose, either.

The flowers spring up under fire, but die away pretty quickly. A quarter of the way in, I can really taste the dark-fired. It's sweet, too, and not from flavorings. At the halfway point a nice nicotine (and maybe clove) spice kicks in and, strangely, it gets very creamy. Stays this way to the bottom of the bowl without gurgle or heat. This is nice! A very homogenous and evolving smoke.

Recommended+ (If you like the Lakelands consider it highly recommended. If you're new to the Land, even this 'unscented' variety might be a stiff kick between the peepers)