Westminster: The very essence of the traditional English mixture; rich, elegant, refined, and exquisitely balanced. New World red Virginias are enhanced with a gentle caress of bright leaf, then lavishly seasoned with rich oriental tobaccos and generous measures of noble Cyprus mountain Latakia. Westminster is a satisfying blend, presenting layers of flavor to delight the senses and develop in the bowl. A perfect everyday English mixture. Full-bodied.

Notes: Westminster was introduced in January, 2007.

BrandG. L. Pease
Strength
Taste

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

This blend on opening is 3 days old in the tin. On opening It was quite wet, So I let it air out for 1 hour, stirred up and let sit one more hour. Tha consistancy was Dry, yet pliable with out breaking. Let me briefly interject that this is a remake of London Mix. A London Mix Mr. Pease is familiar with. Unfortunately one that I, coming in the Orlick days of London Mix am not. therefore I don't think it fair to try and compare to my London Mix, and so will rate it on its own. Perhaps I'll add some observations later...

I picked a Pete system 303. Packed using the frank method.

On char light- LATAKIA...big and bold....Determined, once I got lit, I rinsed with warm to hot peppermint tea. Then trudged on.

From Start to cruising speed I am growing encouraged. I despise cyprian latakia dominated blends. I find them of a singular dimension- Mouth drying, and basically disgusting.

Here, there is a sweet, exotic spice that takes main stage. No mouth drying. The mouth does get that latakia coating- but its not unpleasant. I allowed it to go out while I chased my boxer from the trash can. After beating him with a shoe....I relight....

Sweet....a nice smoky sweet. The kind of smoke I fantasize wanting on cold foggy days. When Zen and Pipe smoker maintenance takes over and all there is for the day is the long dark tea time of the soul.....When Bills are left behind and its just you, a friend of Briar, and a sweet smoky libation that can carry you away from the hear and now, and into the halcyon dreams of spiritual peace.

Oh I like this.....For those that care, this is my 91st review. As far as I'm concerned there will never be a latakia or English blend to match this.

I am at mid bowl now, and the taste and flavor has remained solid. no change. a wonderful mixture of latakia, Orientals, and a balanced sweetness of red virginias. It is a magnificent blend- and I do mean blend. There is no transition of flavors, but one continuous flavor which is extraordinary.

Had to tamp and relight. Here's a note. too much heat and a bitterness does come in for a second- not unexpected, I got it too hot. Once it got back to regular puffing...Flavor went right back to the above mentioned.

Past midbowl now. Still no detrimental effects from latakia. =Ok, My Wife just came in and said WHOA!!!! Stinky one!!!! Not normal Friendly".....I guess nicotine has kicked in cause I am laughing hysterically......=

Last 1/3rd of the bowl. Flavor is stil the same. Nothing is fighting for center stage.

Mouth is still fine. no dryness. Cat has decided something I'm smoking is fascinating.....So has wifes dog......Both are practically in my lap.

Burn is perfect. Stays lit. no fuss. Ash is a lovely white.

If I had to draw some comparison to my London Mix? I would say the Orlick London Mix is like watching Casablanca on an old TV, on AMC.

This is like seeing the same Movie on HDTV on DVD. Its fresher (literally), more intense, There's more clarity in taste- Like taking a picture of a sunflower with an old brownie camera, then another of the same flower with a digital. The quality of leaf is lightyears ahead of the Orlick blend.

All in all- I give this my highest recommendation. There IS NO English blend but this in my opinion. Try it. You won't regret it.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)

Since each of the first reviewers has awarded this with 4 stars, and added many of their individual comments, I'll just say that I agree with everything written so far. Greg Pease has hit another major home run with this blend...no surprise, as IMHO, he has few peers - if any - out there today. This is definitely an all-day blend. It might be Pease's most balanced blend to date. The latakia (which I like, as long as it's proportioned and not utterly dominant) is of obvious quality, and the VA sweetness is there, but again, in great balance. Like so many of the GLP blends, this is complex; there are multiple layers of rich flavor that come and go as a bowl progresses. None dominate. This is pure elegance. It's Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium to the third exponent. This is simply an observation, not a complaint - it's like many GLP blends, in that it's pretty moist when first opened. It required a couple of relights in my custom-made Rad Davis bent apple. I'm putting the desired quantity onto a piece of waxed paper for an hour or so now, and that gives it enough time to dry out a bit. All I can say is, that when this gets about two years of age on it, when the flavors marry and the VA sugars mature, watch out! This one is destined for greatness. A full 4-stars, eight out of ten for now, and I have no doubts but that in a couple of years, it'll be at least a 9.

UPDATE: When I first reviewed this, I did something I've never done, evaluating a tobacco after a few bowls. Now a few weeks have passed. I've smoked Westminster in 5-6 different pipes - a few older estate pipes, and a few newer ones; in mornings, in the afternoon, early evenings, and late at night. I've smoked it in Rhodesians, billiards, a large apple, bowls large and smaller. And after this variety, and after the first tin, everything that I loved about it at first stands. Westminster will undoubtedly be spoken of one day as the very best medium English blend there is. To think of what this will mature to causes me to lay in a really ridiculous amount of it.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

Greg Pease has established himself as a ?premier micro-blender? of many fine mixtures. His original series are often listed highly in many a smoker's favorite, with entries from the ?Classic Series? and notably the now legendary ?Bohemian Scandal? his talents in blending English/Balkan mixtures are well known.

Various blenders have attempted to re-produce classics such as Balkan Sobranie's 759 mixture with moderate success in my estimation. Greg has broken new ground in an attempt to re-create the long loved and often smoked London Mixture. To the best of my knowledge, he is singular in the attempt.

Dunhill is a much respected purveyor of Pipes and Tobacco products the world over. During the 28 years I have smoked pipes, many a bowl of Dunhill tobaccos have passed through my pipes. Several of Dunhill?s mixtures have been ?standards? of mine over the years; My Mixture 965, London Mixture, Nightcap, with several making the ?once in awhile? slot in my rotation; Dunbar, Standard Mixture.

Dunhill tobacco mixtures have suffered from what we might call ?outsourcing?. Other blenders have suffered similar fates, while others have ?been there, done that? and found satisfactory ?outsourcing blenders? to carry on a fine tradition. Murray's production has been the last of ?Dunhill mixtures? that I have smoked. I still maintain several tins of Nightcap for ?special occasion? pleasures and a couple of tins to open in my retirement years.

To my palate of the Dunhill mixtures that have suffered the greatest casualties; London Mixture and My Mixture 965 are the most gravely wounded.

With these things in mind, I will review GLP Westminster:

One should NOT approach this mixture expecting a ?typical GLP? mixture, it makes no such attempt. If you were looking for something similar to other GLP mixtures, please look elsewhere.

Appearance: A beautiful mixture of light and reddish./brownish Virginias, Latakia and Turkish leaf presented in ribbon cut form of nearly uniform cut. I can detect at least 6, and perhaps 8 different hues of leaf. Having read Greg's public notes about blending this mixture I know he spend hours pouring over various productions of Dunhill London Mixture learning what he could of the composition of this classic. This is very appealing to the eye of one looking for a ?typically English? tobacco mixture.

Tin aroma: Exactly what one would expect upon cracking open a tin of English tobacco, a nice blast of smoky Latakia, followed by the raisin/fig sweetness of Virginias and a musty leathery Turkish undertone. There is a deeply peaty quality which seemed absent from later samples of ?London Mixture? and very welcome here. The mouth-watering scents of an adult pleasure with anticipation of roughly an hour?s escape from ?modern life?.

For purposes of review, I?ve loaded a bowl (using the ?once like a baby, once like a lady, finally like a man? method of packing) into a Armellini rusticated Lovat of roughly Dunhill group 3/4 capacity. This pipe has been exclusively an English/Balkan smoker for several years, and should introduce no prejudice to the smoke. I have pre-smoked 4 non-reviewed bowls of Westminster with this pipe to assure what I'm tasting is actually Westminster. This mixture seems a bit moist to me upon cracking a fresh tin, I generally let a ?smoking portion? air for about 15-30 minutes prior to packing and smoking.

Upon lighting, I greeted with a blast of Latakia/Turkish smokiness with leathery/musty undertones, with the mild sweetness of Virginias just under the surface. Good so far, there seem to be no faults in proportions of the individual components thus far, everything seems where it should be, with a complexity and ?competition? for attention by each tobacco.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the complexity and intensity as building nicely, the Virginias are a little more pronounced and assertive, while the Latakia and Turkish have settled into a nice middle palate place. The peaty quality noted in the tin aroma is very much there, though a subtle statement. When exhaled nasally the Turkish has a familiar ?drying effect? on the throat and dominates the soft palate areas of the mouth. This mixture (thankfully) has seeming little/none of the Cavendish confusion of My Mixture 965 or other ?later production? Dunhill mixtures, just a very cool and dry smoking one associates with a truly great English mixture of rather full body. The fine balance of leather/smoke/must/nuttiness and raisins builds slowly with each puff. Each component flavor remain distinct, yet blend together into what eventually becomes a truly outstanding finish. London Mixture has always had a roundness and softness absent in many other mixtures of this fullness, and Westminster captures this quality very well indeed.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, each component tries to re-assert dominance which seems destined to ultimately fail, not in a ?bad way? however. The flavors are at their peak and cooperating with each other, yet somehow like gelatin the seem to eventually give up their ?individuality? to become a very rewarding ?whole flavor? which I remember fondly about Dunhill London Mixture of ?old? 1970's - 1980's . The volume of smoke from each puff is phenomenal, and the palate is intense and broad indeed. The flavors are in perfect cooperation at this point, a superlative effect. The complexity has faded a bit, joined slowly into one. An absolutely amazing finish, cool and dry with a muted, and melded complexity! One has the impression that IF tobacco could taste as velvet feels this would be the velvet in a truly royal gown.

Supplemental Notes: Now sadly that Dunhill have moved on to ?bigger and better things? like menswear (insert maniacal laughter here) Greg has taken up where they left off (years ago) and re-produced as closely as humanly possible a true Classic mixture. Absolutely an astonishing effort Greg! = FIVE (count them) HUGE stars

Stevethesuperhero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stevethesuperhero (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco, GLP's tribute to Dunhill's London Mixture, is from the first bowl, exquisite. I opened the tin about a month after I bought it, and I don't know how much age it had on it prior to my purchase.

The smoke is one of the most harmonious I have ever enjoyed. Fairly strong yet full of subtle flavours. It epitomises the Balkan style, with Oriental and Latakia taking an equal role up front, with a little Virginia detected in the background to "fill in the gaps" with sweetness and body. A mere Latakia hit it is not. There is much more fragrance, more elegance, more subtlety.

This is an offering of superb quality leaf. It fully satisfied the pallet with a range of flavours, yet nothing is forced or out of balance. There are no bland spots, nothing that gets tiring after a while.

If you are looking for a sweet tobacco, or are not used to smoking stronger English-style mixtures, then this is not for you. And that is ok. We don't start to read with Shakespeare, and we shouldn't start to smoke with Westminster. But for those who miss the premium quality, strength and subtlety of Dunhill's sundry offerings, give this a try.

So a huge well done for Westminster. This could well become the standard by which all Balkan tobaccos are measured.

gourmet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gourmet (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Forget about EMP, Nightcap or its so called predesessor London mixture. In my oppinon, either way the old and new recipees of Dunhill have always been a deception in the English garden.

This is absoulately a different smoke, which I know since 2001 from a nice fellow, who worked in CH-Bern at http://www.tabakgourmet.ch, and now rests in peace - It reminded me all of Balcany, they are both in appearance, taste and smoking qualities, absolutely at the same level. The only difference: Balcany is 20 percent cheaper than Westminster and doesn't come in a nice tin.

Wesminster contains like Balcany full of Oriental spice, a heavy quantity of Latakia and smokes perfectly well from the top to the end without relightning. Probaly the only smoke in the world which remains the same, untill the the last leaf of the bowl is smoked off.

The taste is just amazing, earthy and very smokey, a perfectly well harmonized tabacco, which makes you smoke it over and over again. Just your fellow non-smokers might think that the roof is on fire.

Matches perfectly well with a glass of water or a single malt.

Best aromas and smoking qualities in a very large bowl.

I'm just enjoying it in a xl mario grandi pipe and get a nice nicotine load and an incredible aromatic experience.

With this wonderful tabacco, Balcany is not only available in Switzerland - Be surprised you will never really get away from it.....

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I noticed that one of the reviewers here has (unbelievably), given this blend four stars without ever having popped the top of his tin and smoked it. Man, this stuff must be good. LOL!

Seriously, it is. I do not often heed the heavy handed call of Latakia, but from now on this one will answer the door when I knock. Most Latakia blends are long on flavor and low on strength. But, Westminister provides a very nice balance between the two.

If a scrumptious Latakia flavor in a moderate presentation mixed with a nicotine hit rings your bell, this Pease will please.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

As a huge fan of the old London Mixture by Dunhill (one of the first tobaccos I have ever smoked, and one of my favorites before it became significantly worse around 2002 and then plain awful), I was intrigued to hear that Westminster was meant to be a replica of that great blend.

Does it succeed in the task? Well, probably not. I don't think it is as nutty, thick or "chewy" like the Dunhill blend when it was good. Its flavour is IMHO quite different. But the good news is that Westminster, while different, is probably just as good, and most importantly just as ideal as a "whole day" English mixture, quite full of flavour but not heavy or cloying (which, if I remember correctly from the Dunhill brochure, was the description of London Mixture).

The tobacco in the tin is a bit moister than I'd expect from Pease, and more irregularly cut than the fine ribbons of the Dunhill. The color is also darker, with less bright specks. Another difference from London Mixture is that in the Dunhill blend the smell was more leathery, sweeter and more "putrid" (that almost rotten note that was always a sign of a great English blend in times past!). The higher than usual moisture level also shows in a slightly more difficult than usual lighting, especially if you have overpacked your bowl. I recommend a lighter hand especially when the tin has been opened for only a few days.

The flavour buildup of Westminster is very interesting: it starts slow and quiet, and then grows into a crescendo of fragrance and aromas. By the end of the bowl it has grown very rich and flavorful, and it ends simply delightful, without bad aftertastes and leaving you wanting for more (exactly like London Mixture did).

The Virginia base is rich but not overwhelming (a little bitey, maybe), neither it is particularly sweet like in the Classic Collection blends: as a whole, Westminster stays quite on a "dry" palette. The real showstealers are the Orientals and the Latakia: fragrant, spicy, perfmuy, incense-like. While the Latakia is from Cyprus, it truly is rich, winey, fragrant, woody, leathery: somehow this tobacco is reminiscent (though lighter and more delicate) of Bohemian Scandal. Yes, while Scandal was based on Syrian leaf, Westminster actually manages to evoke some of its aromas in spite of being entirely Cyprus Latakia based!

Do I like it better than the incredibly flavorful, chewy and thick Caravan, Odyssey, Blackpoint, Abingdon? Probably not... but of course the comparison is silly as these are more on the Balkan side and not a medium English like Westminster is meant to be.

What I can say for certain, is that I like it better than the departed Renaissance: yes, I think that Westminster suits much better my idea of a medium strength classic English mixture, it is much more satisfying and rewarding.

I am almost tempted to give a "Highly recommended" rating, and maybe I will revise my score in the future...

UPDATE: I have been smoking Westminster as my one and only English Mixture for the past two months. While in a couple of my pipes it tastes slightly flatter, it is a wonderfully reliable, consistent tobacco. I really find it excellent for continued smoking, I never grow tired of it. The fact that it burns slower than usual is excellent for those long evening smoking sessions. Rating upgraded to "Highly recommended".

Ego Archive Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ego Archive (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I have had the opportunity to smoke a fairly decent amount of this sublime weed over the last few weeks, and in looking back over the bowls of Westminster that I have brought to ash, I can really say that this is a deep and flavorful smoke.

First off, I feel I should state for the record that I am not a fan of Latakia in any way, shape, or form. Usually the smell of Latakia on a tin will push me to look for something different. However, as this was the TOTM I figured I should take a fair try at this tobacco.

Upon opening the tin I was greeted by the normal musty Latakia smell and some deeper spicy notes. All in all the bouquet is much more pleasant then I had expected. While this tobacco was a little too moist straight out of the tin, I found the leaves to have a very soft and ?plump? feel as I packed this blend into my testing pipe.

First char for this blend has been a bit difficult, and while smoking I have experienced some gurgling, but I suspect that could easily be corrected by leaving the tin open for an hour or two. On the upside once lit I have had not had too much issue keeping it lit, and it burns down to a nice ash fairly well.

The flavors that crop up while smoking this are amazing, often I will get a good taste of the Latakia, but it is tempered by sweet and spicy notes that really highlight the amazing quality of the tobacco in this blend. Also, the sweetness really begins to bloom farther down the bowl, and counterbalances the smokiness much better then I would expect.

I have seen many people regard this as a good ?all day smoke? choice, and I have to say that if I was a lover of English blends, I could definitely agree with this sentiment. Even so, I could see smoking a bowl of this every other or every few nights, particularly after a nice and hearty steak meal.

For me this blend is a solid 4 stars, and could definitely find a permanent home in my cellar.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm an unabashed fan of GL Pease concoctions (I'm one of those guys who's actually willing to shell out the big bucks on E-bay for some his stuff), but this one has got some problems that didn't become apparent until I'd gone through a few tins.

Flavor-wise, this stuff is spectacular if you enjoy English mixtures. The taste of latakia is balanced perfectly by rich, deep VAs while the orientals add a nice complexity. The whole is even greater than the sum of its parts, and I can easily understand why so many smokers consider this to be the best example of a medium English available today.

Now, for the negatives ....First off, Westminster seems terribly difficult to keep lit. This didn't seem to be a problem with the first batch I tried, but the second and third tins (both with different production dates) shared this characteristic. Second, this stuff ended up scorching my tongue in a scary way, as in "blood- welling-up-from-a-red-spot-on-my-tongue-before-I-realized-what-was-happening" scary. The only other blends to have done this to me were Cairo, MacBaren's Va. No.1, and Bed and Breakfast. I believe that tongue bite is to some degree a matter of personal chemistry as well as technique, and I imagine that I'm reacting poorly to some of the orientals or VAs used in this blend. Perhaps I just haven't figured out the right technique to use with this one, but I've tried everything I know (and many different pipes) with no success.

I'm giving this two stars because I simply can't smoke it (and others, albeit a minority, have echoed my experience). On the other hand, if you find no problems with combustion and your body chemistry allows you to to smoke this, I imagine it would be a three- or four-star blend. I've still got a few tins left, so I should be able to crack one open every year or two to see how it's coming along. If time smooths out the rough edges, Westminster's going to be one for the ages.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (25)
Medium Medium Medium Strong

Needs to dry out for a while before smoking. When dried it smokes perfectly. The one thing that can be said for this tobacco is its consistency. From start to finish it has a consistent smokey foundation. I found that it is not overly complex nor does it change during the smoke. This does not detract from its pleasure, it is an everyday, all day smoke! Mild and relaxing. Highly recommend.

Pipe Used: Falcon straight stem, Peterson system

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: Dunhill Nightcap.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I was gifted Westminster along with several other blends that are well received over the pond. This one has an almost cigarette tobacco shag cut and all of the components combine to make for a dandy and inexpensive smoke. The tobacco is somewhat dry and burns quickly, but the Latakia and Oriental components do have time to sparkle.

A fun smoke well worth one's time (and certainly worth the value it presents to the pocket book).

Mtnboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mtnboy (1)

This is my first review and I figured I review the first English blend I tried. After suffering from a scorched tongue with the Captain Black blends, I decided to try this one after reading the reviews here. Boy was I not disappointed. When I first opened the can, I was greeted with a strong smell of treated leather and other exotic scents. I didn't know what to expect so this kinda took me by surprise.

When I started smoking this blend I was treated to a great smoke. Still being a new pipe smoker I drew too hard and too often, but I soon learned to slow down and savor the smoke. As I get to the bottom of my can, I can say this is a very good tobacco blend (I have tried others with which to compare it). It has a slight peppery taste to it that slows you down and allows you to savor the bowl all the way to the bottom.

It starts out a bit wet and hard to keep lit, but it ages well and really comes into its own as it has aged a bit. I am getting ready to order more! I certainly recommend Westminster for you English blend fans.

Big Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Jim (15)

I also had a great deal of difficulty keeping this blend lit when I first opened the tin. Regardless of how I packed the bowl, the pipe I used or how long I allowed the tobacco to dry it was the same thing ? three puffs and relight. This became so annoying I set the tin aside and forgot about it for about three weeks.

After it had been allowed to sit for three weeks there was no issue with relighting. The tobacco stayed light well but for the first quarter bowl I was disappointed with the flavor. The flavors didn?t mix with each other at all. I thought ?oh great, another blend that sounded fantastic but didn?t live up to the description?. Then it happened. The various tobaccos came together all at once, sweet, spicy, smooth and smoky with every puff. By the time I had smoked half the bowl I was in heaven; by the time I was finished there were mental plans in place to devote an entire room for storage and the house was refinanced to purchase this blend by the ton. Yeah, it?s that good!

This blend shot up to the top of my favorites list and I?m sure it will be there for quite some time. Don?t give up on this one if you have problems keeping it lit. Do what ever is necessary to get past it and you will definitely be rewarded.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Standard medium English aroma, mostly smokey Latakia, with a perfumy oriental incense. Depending on how my nose is working, or the location, the Latakia or the orientals dominate. VA's aren't noticed and don't stand out. An uneven ribbon cut; nondescript, not really appealing to the eye, heavy on the black, 50%, with browns, 40%, and some bright golden and green, maybe 5-10%.

The moisture level tends toward dry, the tobacco falling quickly apart when mashed between the fingers. Date on bottom of tin: 01 23 07 (23JAN07).

Packing & Lighting: Packed reasonably well but is a bit difficult to get lit, but once it is, it tends to stay that way. The bowl stays cool, with no moisture.

Aroma & Taste: Soft and smooth as velvet; smokey from the Latakia, but not harsh or sharp, with a perfumy spice scent from the oriental. After sampling the lightweight Piccadilly, from the Classic Series, I decided Westminster deserved to be upgraded a little stronger in the Taste category.

Nicotine: mild to medium, closer to mild.

Room Note: Moderate English aroma lasting for a little while.

Overall: As soft and smooth as a mild English could be; not quite the full-bodied flavor I was expecting, but still tasty and a nice aroma; easily an all day smoke. 3.9 stars.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I believe Mr. Pease has created the quintessential English Mixture in Westminister. The orientials are the real star in this mixture providing a nice spicy/sweet, almost incense like flavor. The latakia stays in the background, while the VA's provide a subtle sweetness and balance.

IMO, this is what London Mixture and the other original Dunhill mixtures smelled and tasted like. It reminds me of when I used to go the orginal Dunhill store in Chicago over 40 years ago, and started to smoke really fine tobacco. These were the days when Dunhill sold pipes, tobacco and cigars, not shirts, luggage, jockey shorts, etc. This tobacco takes me back to those past glory days of Dunhill.

Highly Recommended

pencils Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pencils (22)

Had Greg Pease presented this fantastic pipe tobacco to me earlier in my pipe smoking career, I would never have wasted so many years enjoying aromatics. Don't get me wrong, I like a good aromatic as much as the next man who likes aromatics, but this has been a revelation to me. Perhaps it is I who has changed in taste as I have aged, but I have all but stopped smoking aromatics since discovering Pease blends.

Westminster is tasty, contemplative, cool burning, and the end of each bowl is a huge disappointment. I find myself wanting to refill and relight far more often than is probably good for me when smoking this.

If you have shied away from English blends previously, then buy this and prepare to be converted.

Subjective? I guess so. I don't care to be honest, because I have yet to be sorry I applied a flame to a single bowl of this masterful blend. It is to be savoured.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

06/22/07 My tin of Westminster is from the first tinning on January 2, 2007, so I let it age just under 6 months. My first impressions were not good; the tobacco was so wet it was unsmokable. I have since dried it, but I can imagine there were 2-3 grams of water in my tin. I would prefer to have the 2-3 grams of tobacco instead. My first bowl was not a good experience. So I spread the entire tin contents out for about 2 days until it was dried to my satisfaction.

Once the tobacco dried I loved this blend. The Virginias that form the base are excellent and support the rich, smokey latakia very well. I'm not sure how to describe the role and taste of the Orientals, but I love the flavor and what I think they do to the blend as a whole. Rather than dissect Westminster I'd rather say the overall taste is rich, slightly tart and smokey, just delicious. I love the flavor it leaves on my tongue after the smoke is through, kind of like a good cigar. The aroma is exceptional; I have been trying to smell as much of it as I can as it leaves my bowl. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't feel the same way.

I had been looking for an English that I could smoke everyday, or perhaps even all day if I felt like it. Westminster is that blend for me. I don't see any need for further exploration within this genre. If my next tin, from a different tinning date, is drier, then I will give this 4 stars. Until then, Westminster has to lose a star for being dripping wet.

03/05/10 I have not had any trouble with wet Westminster since the aforementioned case. As promised I will raise my rating to 4 stars. I hate my above review of Westminster. I'm currently smoking a 2 oz. tin from '07. I don't have the tobacco vocabulary to do justice to this wonderful English blend. All I will say is it's creamy, spicy, slightly sour, smokey and it remains my favorite English blend. I enjoy it as much as any blend I smoke. It's great first thing in the morning with coffee or at the end of the evening with a craft beer.

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This a great tobacco and I give GL Pease much credit for researching the old Dunhill tobacco and trying to recreate another lost blend.

Truthfully, the only Dunhill tobacco I ever liked was Aperitif and so I never expected to be crazy for this blend but had to try it because of the story behind it's creation. It's very smokey, very leathery (I wish I had a better way to describe that), and musty. It reminds me of opening the case of an old vintage guitar, although I doubt anyone else would have that association.

It's not something I'll smoke very much because there other blends which I enjoy more but this is really fine blending and every English blend lover should try it at least once and read the story about how it was created.

I don't know why his tin descriptions would be considered "pompous", really. They are well written and describe the type of tobacco in the tin with, some embellishment. Why not?

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Having acquired a tin of this wonderful concoction from out-of-state, I wanted to set down my impressions of it before I am hauled away under some redeemed-for-society permutation of the Mann Act. My brethren in Ohio will know whereof I speak!

Generally, I avoid getting into the minutiae of a blend--favoring, instead, to focus on the overall effect of several bowlsful. No face is symmetrical, no beauty is flawless if examined bit-by-bit. Westminster, though, requires a linear--as opposed to lateral--analysis.

In his latest "Briar and Leaf Chronicles," Greg intimated that he had earlier versions of Dunhill's "London Blend" in mind as he wandered "The Road To Westminster." Twenty...Thirty-years on, it is difficult to recall the London Blend of the Dunhill era. I laid back no tins then, assuming, as most did, that it would always be around in its delighful original form. Foresight is not my forte.

Therefore, I cannot say whether Westminster hits or misses THAT particular mark. It will, however, have veterans and novices alike singing, "Give me that oldtime tobacco...give me that oldtime tobacco..."

This stuff is just plain good. The tin I bought is all of three-weeks-old...but already interesting; owing, I suspect, to a special treatment for the Virginias. Give it 2-3 years in an unopened can--to let the excellent (but too-assertive) Cyprian Latakia tone down, and the Virginias sweeten...and the Orientals work their magic--and 'twill be very Heaven. It hits notes familiar to all of us old guys...Dunhill London Mixture, Sullivan's Original, John Coton Medium. It is, simply-put, what a great, tinned English Mixture used to be.

Being an unreconstructed geek...I took three years of Latin in high school and one year in college..NOTE BENE!!! (note well) the admonishments about this tobacco being too moist when first-opened. It is (Westminster shares that misfortune with Barbary Coast) and one is advised to dump the entire contents of the can onto a clean, flat surface for several hours--spread-out--to dry. Otherwise, the moisture level, combined with the cut, will conspire to give you and your butane a fit!

Westminster is THE MOST UNUSUAL PEASE TOBACCO I HAVE SMOKED. It is a mainstream, albeit exemplary, English. Most of Greg's blends are a bit (or more than a bit) esoteric (sorry, Mike...but you did not invent the word.) Westminster will be recognized and cosseted by anyone who loves a classic English blend.

A worthy successor to all the gone-on, not-to-be-forgotten tobaccos of yore.

topdogue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
topdogue (11)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is another great GLP English mixtures (BTW the contents includes Orientals which were left out of the description). There seems to be two types of mixtures as reviewed in this website, all-day mixtures and special occasion mixtures. This is an all-day mixture. The tobaccos are medium ribbon cut and a wonderful experience to see. I like the interesting mixtures of light and dark tobaccos. Part of the experience when opening a tin for the first time that is special.

The pouch aroma is wonderfully Latakia-dominated, a big plus for me. The stuff loads easily, lights easily, and burns cleanly down to a grey ash with nary a drop of moisture in the heal. The mechanics of this mixture are first-rate. I think an every-day smoke would not require my undivided attention to enjoy and this tobacco is very friendly in that respect. It does have complexity in the way Vanilla Bean Gelato has complexity. Really great flavour from top to bottom. I think the characteristic that dominates this mixture is the superb balance of the flavour components. Not too much or too little of any one flavour.

I believe this mixture will surely age very well, but right out of the tin, it is an exceptional English mixture that can be enjoyed all day long.

str8razor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
str8razor (3)

I opened my tin marked ?01-02-07? thinking, ?This will be a mistake. Everyone talks about blends being too rough when they are first blended, and these tobaccos have only been in the tin for six days! Oh...I can?t wait any longer. I can compare this tin with some that I age for latter.?

Opening the tin revealed a dark and rich English mixture with plenty of red virginias and Latakia. The aroma was the smoky savor of Latakia and fragrance of ripened virginias. It smelled wonderful! The cut was short ribbons, and it seemed to have a broken flake cut sparsely included, which reminded me of GL Pease?s Fillmore. The mildly most ribbons packed perfectly.

I loaded my Peter Heeschen Bent P carefully and set the match to it. The inital light tasted great! It took a charring light and a second for a consistent burn. The first third of the bowl tasted delicious. The sum is greater than the parts! This is not a Latakia dump, but every part is in harmony. There is a balanced smoky sweetness that tickles the tongue. The second third continues in a constant gratification of the same delicious smoke. Perhaps the oriental tobacco becomes more noticeable here. The last third required me to relight. It was heavy virginias bathed in Latakia smokiness. The bowl was finished before I realized it. The finished bowl consisted of nothing but a beautiful white ash, and I was hungry for more!

I thoroughly enjoyed this blend presented to us by Mr. Pease. I will definitely buy more tins.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (18)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

TRASH! I bought this tin as part of a large online order when I was a newbie smoker and really liked my first few bowls when compared to others. I did notice the rough cut and thought this was just the way hand cut product is supposed to be.

I smoked about 3 bowls off the top of the tin when I opened it up in 2009 and loved it. I then put it away in an airtight mason jar to age as I had other tobaccos to open and enjoy from my online order. A few months later and many other tobaccos smoked, I had another bowl and HATED it then put it away to sort out later. Here it is 5 years later in the fall of 2013 and I hate it more. Perhaps I have had the chance to enjoy many more good tobaccos (I was a newbie pipe smoker in 2009). One big problem I have is this tobacco seems like my can was from leftovers, stems and dust. The light colored tobacco is tiny, cubed to dust like. One black stem is about 2 inches long with just a little bit of leaf on it. I have chunk like slices, one of which I opened up and found a ragged 45 x 20 mm whole brown leaf. Any blender who allows his packer to pack up the stuff picked up by a dust broom or thrown into the trash should be ashamed. I counted this off as just a bad tin, sold as premium tobacco. However, I read more reviews and find so many other people commenting about the rough cut. This lack of care in the cut effects the consistency of the smoke, taste and enjoyment. One bowl may be mostly of gold dust and the other of stems and big leaves of a different type of tobacco. This is the only tin I have ever purchased from GL Pease and it will be my last. He should be embarrassed. If I hadn't purchased this tin online, I would have brought it back to the tobacconist who sold it to me rather than wasting a good mason jar. I read the review by PIPESTUD and he reports this being cut like shag tobacco. WHAT?!? He must have smoked specially hand made stuff selected just for the Chicago Pipe show. this stuff the rest of us get is TRASH. Unless GL Pease somehow finds a way to get me to try his tobacco again, I will spend my money on better product blended by true master blenders.

pipetype Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipetype (10)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

"Honest" "Sturdy" "Reliable" "Fair, no nonsense" is what comes to mind as I puff on this. This is like an antechamber to a hall promising great beauty and proportion. This does not bite or dry you out. As fired cured, it should be high in nicotine, but I don't get a buzz at all. It is not particularly sweet, but neither is it bitter, sour, or salty. I think this is what you might call a savory smoke wuthout added flavorings.

Have you ever put vinegar on chips? We'll about 1/2 a bowel down, that is what I get - very lightly. I like this tobacco. It calls my attention, but without being in any way "needy."

I think this is one of those I might keep renewing. Right now the only ones I am relatively sure about restocking are Balkan Supreme or Saseini (sp?) and Butternut Barley.

What a great gift this one is!

Gun Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gun Smoke (15)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Update:

I have found a way to get this blend to smoke properly without constant relights. First - air the tobacco to a VERY dry consistancy but not bone dry. Second - it must be packed rather lightly. Third - I used a small pair of scissors to cut the strands into smaller pieces. Fourth - it seems to favor a larger bowl ( I used a Peterson Rock of Cashel ). I smoked the pipe halfway, and let it go out on purpose to eat my dinner. After dinner I savored the rest of the bowl to almost the very bottom and threw out the little bit of dottle that was left over. Including the charring light, It only required 3 lights! Fantastic. Try it. It just might work for you.

Original Review:

Well this is my first review. I hope you gentlemen will find my opinion to be informative, accurate and fair.

By the way - in no way does this tobacco bite. Sometimes I think certain "reviewers" are way off, and give excessively low marks just for spite.

So here we go.

Pros:

This is indeed an exceptional tobacco worthy of being considered world class. The Cyprian latakia content seems just right, and the virginas chosen compliment nicely. Frankly, this is better than Margate and Penzance. Margate seems to have gone down slightly in quality ( it use to have an interesting salty/sour taste that seems to have disappeared as of late ), and Penzance can sometimes be overwhelming in taste and aroma.

The room note is fantastic if you love that latakia campfire smell - I know I do. But it almost goes without saying that the aroma will not impress your wife or girlfriend, much less strangers unaccustomed to this type of blend. No, not a good choice if you are going out to socialize. Albeit, if you plan on staying around the house, then this would be a very good all day smoke. It is never overpowering, but it does have a fair amount of nicotine. If you are a nicotine addict, this may not cut it for you. But for those of you who just like a small kick - this is perfect.

The taste is just gorgeous. Very one dimensional, but the blend makes up for it in sheer satisfaction and enjoyment. I highly recommend this blend for the seasoned smoker, but would steer a beginner to a somewhat lighter blend.

Cons:

The cut of this blend leaves something to be desired, It is simply too rough cut - an odd cut at that. I have had some small problems keeping it lit, and have concluded that the main reason for this is NOT the moisture content - it is the odd cut. I let a small amount of this to get completely BONE DRY before loading; it certainly helped and did NOT deminish the taste. In fact it was quite good. So then, If Mr. Pease ever actually reads this review, I would highly suggest a slightly finer cut. I think Mr. Pease's reasoning is that he is trying for a a cool smoke ( which it is ) with a larger cut. Unfortunately, it also has the effect of making the blend slightly difficult to smoke without multiple relights.

The can that I smoked was only a month and a half old ( dated 11/17/08 ). Much too young but I could not resist. I noticed that the Virginas are very young, and MUST be aged in order to truly enjoy what Mr. Pease intended. Really, we should not have to do this as most of us just want a good smoke that's ready to go the day we buy it. Why should we have to age it? Perhaps Mr. Pease may be in a bit of a rush to get this excellent blend to market and meet demand.

Conclusion:

The description of this blend noted above states that its a ribbon cut. No, it is definately not ribbon cut, but actually rather rough cut compared to most blends. When a person says ribbon cut, in my mind, I would think of something like Margate - which is a true ribbon cut.

I noticed that the Virginas are very young, and MUST be aged in order to truly enjoy it. Hopefully, Mr. Pease will not fall into the mistake of getting this blend out too early just to satisfy demand. Lastly, the rough cut should also be taken into consideration.

This blend stands the POTENTIAL to be the finest pipe blend in the world... bar none and all commers.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Very well-balanced blend. Latakia and Orientals complement eachother extremely well. Virginia sweetness rounds out the flavor, especially notable on the exhale. Nice spice and Latakia notes on the retrohale. The complete, smooth package, without anything that overwhelms. Burns clean without maintenance. 4 stars to the end of the bowl.

Pipe Used: Cristiano

Age When Smoked: Tin dated 31-JAN-2013

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

This is a very good all day, middle of the road english blend. There are no extremes to this blend and would suite those who like several bowls of an english blend a day. 4 stars for me!

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

UPDATE 3/27/12 When I orginally smoked this blend, there was something funky about it that I found off-putting . . . Perhaps the Orientals, which seemd overly musty. I assigned it two stars and aged a tin to see what would happen.

I have been smoking a two-year-old tin and will tell you that the blend has mellowed and melded with time. The Orientals are cleaner and add a pleasant mustiness. The whole thing is deep and could be complex, but to me, the "generous measures of noble Cyprus mountain Latakia" eclipse everything. Greg used London Mixture as a basis for this blend, but this is much more intense than the new Dunhill iteration, which may be a boon or bane to you.

I prefer more balance and finesse, and lately, Lat-heavy blends are less appealing to me. Still, this is a noteworthy blend from Pease, and is definitely worth a try when you want something deep, dark and woodsy. Although I haven't tried the two products side-by-side, I think Westminster reminds me a bit of McClelland's Wilderness by fred Hanna. I prefer Hanna's Legends to Wildeness (and Westminster) , so consider the source.

Alembic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alembic (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first tobaccco review since I started smoking a pipe.

I started with aromatics and quickly progressed to the remarkable English blends. The wonderful aroma and taste of Latakia, orientals and virginias overtook my senses and I have fallen in love with the blends. The smell and taste of pine reminds me of a campfire in the fall.

I just recieved my tin of Westminster and finished my first bowl - and my second! This blend is fantastic. NO tongue bite whatsoever, burned cool and dry. I love this tobacco and will always have it in my rotation.

Three cheers to Mr. Pease.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I was lucky enough to try a tin of London Mixture before the supply in the States dried up. Granted, it was the Orlik version, but I enjoyed it immensely, regardless of the blender. I've felt a great loss with the demise of the Dunhills in the US, and any blend that pays homage to the dead line gains my respect. True, most copies are off and maybe it's more of a money thing than I'd like to admit--well, at least for most blenders.

I understand the trouble Mr. Pease went through in making Westminster. I too read his account of combing though 20 year old tins of London Mixture with forceps, isolating the components to identify the leaf and proportions. I appreciate the effort, and if I had more time with the London Mixture of old, then maybe I could advance a better review comparing the two. I admit being puzzled how he was able to distinguish between Turkish and Virginia leaf by eye, as similar as they might appear. But who is to question a man with passion? I'd honestly have given up after a few minutes.

My tin was dated 9/14/09, and I began smoking the contents about a month after the production date. The cut is varied, with long and short ribbons, including pieces of rubbed out Virginia flake. There are a few errant stems of Latakia, which represents a good 50% by my account, maybe a bit less. The tin is filled to the brim, though loosely packed, unlike the classic Dunhill, which is almost pressed together. The tobacco is dry, drier than I've ever seen a Pease blend, and drier than I remember London Mixture, so I wonder how the lack of moisture will affect aging. In the short term, it works well. It's ready to go as you crack the tin, no need for airing out the tobacco.

This is a classic English mixture, with Virginias and Latakia playing the lead roles. I have a difficult time detecting the Turkish, but I don't doubt that it's in there. Westminster is rich and full, suggesting the strength derives from heady Virginias. To me, I put the nicotine at something just over medium. In part due to the dryness of the leaf, Westminster burns rather quickly if packed loosely, while the smoke billows in great magnitude. I enjoy this in a bigger pipe, and have mostly smoked it in a large Meerschaum, packed tight. The crispy tobacco will crackle a bit as tamped.

Westminster embodies tradition, which is interesting as an English tobacco blended by an American. Sure, we'll churn out monstrosities like Fox & Hound, but we know our stuff, when it matters. Westminster is tasty, damn tasty, and that's what counts.

Five of Five.

BTC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BTC (3)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I readily confess that I've been smoking a pipe for less than ten years, and I whole-heartedly agree that that makes me less than an expert when it comes to pipes and pipe tobacco. ...That being said, I see absolutely no reason for rating an unspoiled tin of this at less than 3 stars. I read through almost all of the reviews and I'm puzzled by some of the notes.

This stuff is quite good, I've never had a number of the "classic" tobaccos (3 Nuns, Sobranie 759, etc.), so perhaps I have nothing to compare against, but other than a cellared tin of Westminister, I don't know if I can think of a better english tobacco. This is my favorite late night smoke.

MadMarv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MadMarv (15)

I've been smoking Westminster now for three years, off and on. I agree with many others here that this is the definitive English Blend - at least from an American blender.

This review is based on a year-old tin; I may revisit this review later when I will have some at the three year mark.

Moisture level was dry on this one, there was an audible rustling when running my fingers through. Flakes did not stick together at all. Fearing the worst, I loaded up my favorite Peterson bent apple anyway, and was pleasantly surprised. The smoke was pleasantly cool throughout the bowl, beginning with a nice VA sweetness and deepening through the end. Very predictable and consistent in all my pipes. I may add a humidifier coin, but for now (after about 1/2 the tin) I haven't felt the need. Other tins have been more moist and did smoke slower and a little creamier.

So why not four stars? Westminster may be a victim of its own success. It is so perfectly balanced, so predictable, that it can be almost boring at times. Still, I can hardly think of a better all-day tobacco than this one, and will always have a tin around.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (75)

A pleasant enough 'English' mixture...absolutely standard fare which is not going to upset anyone as being too smoky or too mild.

Comes in 2 ounce and 8 ounce tins, mine being an 8 ouncer dating from February 2007.

Stripping aside the marketing hype..'gentle caress of bright leaf'...this is a reasonable, pleasant enough smoke. Worth a try but don't be swayed by the silly nonsense written on the label or the adulation of the fans.

Well thank heavens we can 'Addendum' our errors :-)

Original written some time ago and updated July 2009.

I am still working my way through the original 2007 can, but I have come to like it more now...I think it's better than 2 stars and have upped to 3. My main problem with GLP is that the blends are so raw (draws particular attention to Filmore) and I am still not enamoured of the flowery prose...probably cos we tend to understate everything we like here lol. Apart from my remaining supply of Balkan Sobranie and EMP, this is my main Latakia blend.

UPDATE 11/8/10

This one has either improved or my tastes have changed. I still wouldn't recommend it as a reference English blend but a 3 year old tin does possess some refinement that was missing in the more youthful versions. But it still seems too "murky" for want of a better word. Having recently smoked a fair amount of Meridian, it just seems to me that Mr Pease's intent with this one went unrealized, just as he absolutely nailed it with Meridian. Of course, I have no idea what he was going for in either case, so those comments are meaningful to me alone. Let's just say that whatever dollars I may have earmarked for this one are going directly towards Meridian... along with dollars earmarked for other blends! Westminster is not bad; it's actually very good. It just doesn't distinguish itself the way Meridian does.

UPDATE 6/13/09

I got a sample of this as part of a large trade and I thought, what the hey, maybe it's not as bad as I remember it. The good news is, it's not. Whatever oddball flavor I got before was apparently in that tin, which must have been bad somehow. This one smoked cool and smooth... and unmemorable. The sender noted that it was two years old. I still can't recommend it but this time it didn't have that terrible funky taste from my previous tin. It just seems to have that annoying GLP virtue of the various tobaccos either doing too much or not enough. But that's a personal observation, not an absolute. It wasn't to my tastes but it might be to yours.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 12/25/08

I came into this blend with extremely high expectations - and that may be the problem. I smoked 4 bowls of this, both in briar and meerschaum pipes, and each time I noticed a very odd taste that I couldn't put my finger on. The recipe seems standard and I should have really liked the blend, but the taste was just too objectionable. It seemed like each of the ingredient tobaccos were fighting with each other for the forefront - it just didn't marry well. It's obviously a high quality tobacco and I've added a star based on that. I suppose I could have gotten a bad batch but I don't care to try again. 4 bowls and I threw the rest in the trash.

This blend shows the different chemical balances in people, as so many appear to really like this stuff. I wish I could have enjoyed it! I did enjoy the room note, however. When I left the room and re-entered, it smelled heavenly!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

UPDATE 01-29-10: Must have been a skanky tin. I am working my way through all of the Pease blends, and I am happy to say that the tin of Westminster I just opened today is far superior to the one the previous reviews are based on. The big four - Abingdon, Charing Cross, Odyssey and Westminster - are all big English/Balkan blends with a noticeable oriental components, smoky Latakia, and a good balance of tasty Virginias that all have some similarities with one another. In other words, if you like one of them you'll probably like the others too. Well balanced, a bit toastier than the others, and very good. Upgrade to three stars!

UPDATE 5-16-09: I just can't get into this one. It's not nearly as flavorful or smooth as Abingdon and it just doesn't push my buttons. I may have to try another tin to be sure mine didn't get skanked somehow, but other Pease blends are far superior. Downgrading to two stars.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 11-06-08: This one fell a bit short of my expectations, especially after all the rave reviews. It just seems rather one-dimensional to me. Perhaps the Latakia and Orientals overpower the Virginia. Yeah, I think that's it...

Tonight I tried mixing in a little Black Cavendish for some flavor. It added a little more complexity, but didn't really help. I think instead I should have added some sweet Virginia flake because when I very carefully coaxed it, I could pull out a tiny remnant of the Virginia. And I liked that part of it.

I would rather give two and a half stars but it gets three, not for flavor but for cut, pack and burn. Humidity was perfect from the tin and it burned flawlessly and effortlessly with copious smoke. Don't get me wrong, it's a good tobacco, but not great. I prefer Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme.

steak2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steak2 (3)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I bought two tins as soon as I saw this available . I figured this would be THE tobacco to try having never smoked an English blend before . As for that , brother was I wrong . I know it is just me and my tastes , I have read far too many reviews of Westminster to say it is a bad tobacco . The tin smell was not un-pleasant ,loaded easy and charred nicely . As soon as I put the second match to it ,thats where things turned south . The taste reminds me of dish soap mixed with the acrid smell of smoldering red oak in the fireplace . I`ve tried smoking this at different times in the day , knowing that taste buds change throughout the day . I`ve even mixed this into Fillmore , McClellands Blackwoods Flake , Bulk 2015 and several lesser blends hoping that I could "learn" to like it . Not yet , so .... I put both tins in the cellar for now . I am even going to order a few more to cellar. Maybe in a year or two I`ll visit Westminster again and find that I`ve grown to like it . UP-DATE : I took another journey to Westminster today and am glad i made the trip . I dug out the opened tin that I bought at the 1st of the year and filled a nice old WDC Milano . The tobacco loaded nice and charred nicely . Right off I could tell a difference . I was not repulsed by the smell the way I was back in January . The first taste was of the Latakia`s smokey profile then a suttle hint of stewed fruit , after a few more slow draws I found the Virginias sweetness doing a soft dance . As I smoked , these flavors mingled together to make up a very nice tobacco experience I know that the tobacco has not changed too much over the past 4 1/2 months so it has to be me . My palate is becoming more experienced , able to distinguish these subtle characteristics of different tobacco blends . I`m glad that I decided to give this another go . i will smoke a few more bowls and then put it away for a while longer .

rocker311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rocker311 (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

The other reviews touch on the basic points. I'm trying this from an 8oz tin that's been open about 3 weeks and which appears to have been tinned up sometime in March of this year. Aroma from tin is very full. Not entirely moist, but still spongy and springy. Lots of ribbons of orientals and what looks to be some stoved or otherwise aged Virginias, playing around with the requisite Latakia. Didn't use any big method, just rammed it into a nice big Charatan and fired it up on the drive to work. Took about three tries and a couple of tamps to really get going. Room note (or in my case, compact car note) is indeed strong. I can see wives and girlfriends being rather unhappy about this one. Flavor is.... well, it's kind of mild. Yes, it's an English, and yes, I taste the Latakias. But they're on par or slightly behind the orientals. It's like that scene in "Revenge of the Nerds" where Ogre is slurping up the cream pie because they want to know why the Nerds are selling so many, and Ogre goes "It's okay. It's good. It's pie."

Yup, it's pie. It's an English blend. It's got some flavor and it stays pretty consistent. The somewhat sour and fruity Oriental aftertaste is pleasant as well. But it's not OMG-I'M-SMOKING-PRIME-RIB flavor. It's not small-animals-and-children-run-for-the-exits room note. It's just a nice medium blend when new and out of the tin.

This one's going for a 2-month visit in a mason jar at Hotel de Basement so it can learn to play better, and then we'll see if it's met its potential. I can see it maturing nicely, and as a Latakia lover's everyday all-day smoke, it's fine for that. But for an quite-similar fuller medium Latakia blend straight from the tin, I'm sticking with Habana Cigar's Strike Force, courtesy of Larry the Jedi blending master.

Three stars for Greg though. Nice blend, honestly not a thing wrong with it, and the complexities are at the high levels we've come to expect from Pease. I just prefer a little more sock in my coffee, as it were.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (74)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This mixture is a rather full Englis/Balkan blend. Lots of smokey flavor and is strong. I smoked quite a bit of this while in Switzerland and France in the mid 90's and came across two 100 gr. tins of this the other day in my tobacco storage area.

A very fine cut ribbon... almost shag cut which you don't see often with this type mixture. Easy to pack, light, and stays lighted without problems. Aroma and taste are smokey and strong, yet very fragrant and with little or no bite. I would say that this is more in the Balkan range and perhaps for the experienced smoker who will appreciate the strength.

Predominantely a Virginia Plug smoker, I like this mixture as I rotate in and out of various Balkan blends from the straight Virginias. Sipping on a good quality single malt scotch and enjoying this mixture is wonderful!!!

While I haven't been able to locate this mixture anymore it is a worthy smoke. Most of the current tin I have smoked has been with a 1958 dunhill, straight stem,shell billiard, group 5 type.

Regards, Peter

Trumpetboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trumpetboy (13)

I'm a big fan of Mr. Pease's English blends as many are. I'm very fond of this blend. To me, this is what I go to when I want something less big compared to Charing Cross or Abington, but still very satisfying. The key word here is balance- - just enough Latakia and Oriental to satisfy, but to me this blend has a very refined taste. It reminds me very much of Dunhill's London Mixture-- the way it used to be years ago. This is more of an afternoon with a good coffee or three kind of pipe-- in a fairly good sized bowl. It reminds me why I love pipe-smoking.

mjcruiser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mjcruiser (4)

English blends are not for everyone, most likely why I see a wide spread in the reviews. I'm a noob pipe smoker so my exposure to different products is small. When I first started I tried some smoke shop house blend English tobacco and I was not impressed - seemed to leave a cigarette taste in my mouth that I really did not like. So I went on a quest to try some different English blends when I fell upon Westminster.

This is my go-to smoke. It is fairly consistent from top to bottom of the bowl. I usually smoke it in my Peterson Shamrock 221 and it smokes to ashes with at the most one relight. The oriental tobacco flavor is dreamy and I taste it for hours afterwards (best I can describe it is kind of a menthol like taste - that is not quite right, but that is the only thing I can think of). It is not going to knock you on your arse with nicotine, but that is what I want for a go-to smoke. Being a noob I tend to smoke tobacco a little too fast and hot (I'm learning though) and while it can make the flavor of Westminster a bit harsh when I do - I've never gotten bitten by it. I love this tobacco and will always have some on hand.

FireintheBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FireintheBriar (9)

Westminster has good balance of taste through the entire bowl. It smokes down very nicely and stays lit. I would attribute this to the uniformity of the cut and the just about perfect dryness right out of the tin. The so called ribbon cut is not as ribbony if you will, as other ribbon cuts, but it is quite consistent. I think the key is that the Latakia is not as hard and chunky as I have seen in other blends. No big nicotine hit, so I really like it, definitely a go to tin. I will be buying a bigger can in the future.

Update 2014-1-29: I smoked through some different tobaccos, Maltese Falcon, Abington, Odyssey, and Navigator, so I only recently ordered more Westminster. It is exactly like I remember it and I still prefer Westminster to the aforementioned tobaccos. Odyssey is the closest relative in my opinion, but Westminster is still my favorite.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Army mount

Similar Blends: Odyssey.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (66)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Gifted from a well intentioned friend, thank you.

This presents itself as harsh and surprisingly bland, not very complex at all, minimal balance. Considerable bite (pH out of whack) and did not burn very well, too many relights which ruined it completely.

I'll be passing this along to another pipe friend who hopefully will get better milage and enjoyment from this than I did.

Overall not pleased with Pease, just another blend tease . . . next.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (63)
Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

I've been unkind to Pease products on forums and maybe here. This one I can't fault. It's spectacular. A perfect blend of ingredients yields up a full flavor, no bite, and really a pleasant taste throughout. Superb medium english, or whatever it's supposed to be.

I like.

You like?

High five!

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

Westminster takes me back 30+ years when I frequented Dunhill of NY (they actually sold tobacco in the store in those days). It is a quality blend for anyone whom appreciates English mixtures and a trip down memory lane for us old guys who reminder what it was like to go and purchase our pipe tobacco from Dunhill. The only criticism is the cut of the tobacco. It is the typical Pease C&D crazy cut. I would prefer this in a ribbin form.

Te Kotimana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Te Kotimana (1)
Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

I have only smoked for a relatively short period. Over this time I have smoked Borkum Riff Black Cavendish & Cherry Liqueur, Solini Aged Burley Flake & Silver Flake, Reiner Blend 71 and Peterson's Sherlock Holmes. Westminster is my favourite.

I have always liked the smell of unlit pipe tobacco and this would be my favourite. Before the tobacco is lit it reminds me of peat or some of the pleasant smells of swampland (without any of the off smells). For some reason some other people I have seen sniffing it hates it, including fellow pipe tobacco fans.

The flavour when the pipe is first lit is quite full and reminds me of a gorse burnoff (I was brought up on a farm in New Zealand). For some reason this immediately reminds me of my childhood. As the smoke goes on this flavour disappears, and although thereafter very mild to my mind it is extremely pleasant. To my mind the flavour is quite woody with a mild but very pleasant after-taste.

I can be an impatient smoker and I have found that this blend is one of the least likely to bite my tongue after excessive puffing.

I have put 'unnoticeable' under room note as I have never smoked inside and would not know the room note, good or bad.

Unfortunately in the interests of domestic peace I won't be buying any more pipe tobacco. This is the blend that I will be missing most when it is through.

Barling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barling (19)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Greg Pease is a member of my pipe club, and brought at tin of vintage 2007 to our last dinner meeting. The president of our pipe club let me smoke a bowl of this in a huge JT Cooke Canadian he owns and I did not notice the smoke was over until I sucked in ashes. It was smooth and mellow all the way to the bottom, with fantastic smoky Latakia notes all throughout. This tobacco has the longest sweet spot of any I have smoked. I happen to have a 2007 vintage tin myself, and I am going to let it age a few more years before opening it, and stock up on some more to cellar. Fantastic!

under the arbor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
under the arbor (12)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I confess I was drawn in by Mr. P.'s writing and like the jellyfish that I am ordered a tin. The view from the Thames on the label didn't hurt either as I'm an even bigger "jelly" when it comes to good packaging! But as with past loves, sometimes the more you know the less you like. The first impression was good,I refer to the "tin-nose", closer to my beloved Dunhill London than some other wanna be's. But the room note was off and the bite, oh the bite! I'll admit a cooled down second light improves matters, but on the other hand I needn't wait for that with my DLM.

PS: Have done some reading on Dunhill by a Mr. Loring (the late Mr. Loring I believe) and as he seems to know more about the company than all of Alfred's heirs combined, I think GLP's whole Murray's / quality schtick is just that, schtick........"buy my Westminster it's closer to DLM than Orlik's. Maybe it is, but I like the present DLM, I also like my tongue not feeling like it just finished an eighty grit Tootsie-Pop.

Nonpareil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nonpareil (13)

I have tried a number of Greg Pease's blends and while I have great respect for the quality and complexity of flavor he is able to achieve, I did not find any that I really cared for until now.

This blend features more contribution from the Orientals than any of the others I have had from Mr. Pease and lately, I have been enjoying orientals more. The balance of strength and complex flavors make this a blend I feel I must pay attention to as there is so much going on.

The tin I have is 18 months old and in perfect condition, with just the right moisture level.

The blend has excellent burning characteristics and provides an ever changing panoply of flavors keeping the smoker's attention constantly throughout the bowl.

I believe this blend is destined to become legendary.

kongsdad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kongsdad (5)
Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Can't say i like this after 6 bowls in 4 pipes after 3 weeks time. Too close to cigar leaf taste for me and the ol woman who can tolerate alot of lat/ oriental fumes can't stand it. Seems like after awhile it tastes like what a dirty ashtry smells like.Maybe i got a bad tin as I do smoke 5 Balkans in my rotation and can't get past that cigar taste in this one. took alot of attention to keep it lit and with all the relights I got tounge burned. Won't be getting anymore .

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I don't get the lackluster reviews for this blend. This one is big, full, delicious, and actually has some nicotine for a Lat blend. Frequently shows the big sour notes I crave that I associate with Balkans, which must be the Latakia used here because this is no Balkan.

Tell you what, all you guys that don't think so much of this one, I'll trade you some of my Penzance or FVF for your Westminster. I think to date that this is my desert island Lat blend.

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Without a doubt one of the best English on the market , but it has to be aged a bit . I've cellared it for one year and it's heavenly but a year ago i would have rate it 3 stars.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

finished about 2/3 of the tin. Tried everything I could think of, wet, dry, bone dry, different pipes, different packing, nothing worked, all I got was full metallic taste and ultra poor burning qualities. I'm seriously thinking if mr pease himself do wonder why westminster got so many positive reviews when he has much better (and complex & original may I add) offerings in his stash such as blackpoint.

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (22)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is my first outing with GL Pease. I like it so far. My perfect English has always been Penzance. This runs a close second...for right now. It's dark in the tin. Nice ribbon cut. Not too thin. Black and brown strands within an even mix. The tin aroma is classically English/Balkan w/ Orientals and Virginia. Smokey. A bit o' sweet VA scent riding on top. Smells much like Margate. Hmm. After lighting up I think "Margate". But wait, there's more! This is spicier. Much spicier. More like Penzance...but wait...it's even spicier than Penzance! Dark, brooding, spicy, rich. Even a slight hint of fragrant black coffee. More balanced than Penzance in regards to the Latakia. I like this. It gets darker and spicier further down the bowl. More complex. It tended to have a bit more strength than I anticipated. A solid medium, maybe a bit stronger than medium. A very good blend.

I shall now continue with my tests...

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow how interesting? dark and smokey, in fact opening the tin had me grabbing for the fire extinguisher, smelt like yesterdays bushfire (not bad though). The taste, however, was quite different than the tin aroma, tasted soooo velvety on the tongue and develops wonderfully into something different as the bowl burns down. Its dark and gloomy and can relax you enough to put you in a coma on a large bowl. Does not bite, the standard two lights to get going and leave you with not homework on completion. Deserving of the positive reviews and I hope my review places G.L Pease - Westminster back where it belongs: 4 STARS

PipeSentinel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSentinel (1)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first review here as a new smoker only by a couple of months. For all the comments about this being a tobacco for experienced palates, I have to say this the first tobacco to give me truly enjoyable smoke. Not so heavy as Peterson's Irish Flake and more delicate to me than Old Dublin. At first I had a hard time staying lit, but once I began sipping the pipe it both stayed lit and gave a full flavor all the way to the end with no ashy taste. "Peppery" was word used elsewhere; I think that's about right for a developing sensation, not a bite. But then I like pepper. I got mine at Iwan Ries in Chicago. Now I'll have to find a way to order some. Any suggestions? Thanks to Greg for a good first smoke.

Ugo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ugo (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

English blend at his best. Great smoking for Latakia lovers, elegant, equilibrated, a blender masterpiece for smokers enjoyment.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I agree with Marshall Laws description of Chelsea Morning and would use it here:

It seems nothing like the description, despite the pipe I use. I simply cannot mesh with this blend. Pungent and heavy with the smell of damp hay and dried grass. Lights up bitter and strong, and keeps going in that direction for the short span I can endure it. Sharp, harsh, and hot on the tongue, I found greater pleasure discarding the remnants of the tin, a bitter and disagreeable weed.

This is a poor blend of cheap tobacco. Better look into your blender and supplier, Pease, I suggest you are getting outbid at the tobacco auctions.

Glad I tried a Green Little Peas blend, but I will stick with Gawith, at least they know how to blend quality tobacco, which is why it is hard to get, and has been around for a few hundred years.

ostephenu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ostephenu (1)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I normally wouldn't take the time to start an account and post a review, but in this case I feel I owe it to this tobacco. Westminster is exquisite--the perfect English. Perfect flavor, balance, strength, etc. Enough said.

Dunc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dunc (9)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I really do not aggree with comparing one blend against another! I prefer to take each blend on its own merit. This triumph from the Master is a beautiful example of the highest quality condiments. The usual Greg Pease trade-mark of layered flavour comes through and continues to excite down to the end of the bowl. Sorry....Did I mention - Im a GLP blend junkie!!! Tremendous Triumph of a Master Blender!!!

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this blend it has a very interesting interplay with the mix. I don't know what people are talking about it being bland or very overrated. These folks should stick to aromatics. This blend is for experienced but also new smokers who are not faint at heart. I really enjoy it myself, it has a wonderfully full body and nice spiciness to it that creates a nice aroma. It has an almost buttery finish to it; perhaos from the Orientals. I only had one problem with lighting this blend; the first time I tried it. I find gravity feeding it into the bowl solves the problem and creates a smooth and cool snoke. I highly recommend this blend to seasoned as well as new smokers.

gmconklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gmconklin (6)

This is a very popular blend and now I know why. I found this to be a wonderful English blend full of everything I have come to love about English blends. This was an easy light, mellow smoke, wonderful aroma and flavor, no bite. I will have this blend on-hand at all times.

Mr. Baggins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Baggins (7)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma: phenomenal. Ease of loading and lighting: perfect. I can't say anything bad about this blend. I prefer it to any of McClelland's Frog Morton blends (although I love "On the Town". This blend has somewhat of an intriguing nougat flavor that makes me smoke fast but I don't mind. This is a great English blend!

anders1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anders1 (6)

This tobacco, as the other ones by G L Pease, is insanely overrated. It is flat, harsh and boring. Skip this and the other Pease offerings and by a real English tobacco: MyMixture (yes by Orlik), Penzance, Royalty, Squadron Leader or Presbytarian. G L Pease' single talent is writing the alluring descriptions on his cans. Unfortunately, the tobacco is nowhere near those little poems.

ProfessorBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProfessorBrown (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried Westminster after reading some of the reviews on this site and others. I took the leap and bought an 8oz tin. This blend has lived up to the all the good reviews, and then some. It was expensive as someblends go, but I feel I got more than my money's worth.

I'm not entirely sure why some would rate this blend poorly. I think unless you were an aromatic only smoker you can't be disapointed by Westminster.

The taste is amazing. The room note is wonderful (except perhaps to my wife). A pleasure to smoke, this will be a mainstay in my rotation.

Behindtheclouds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Behindtheclouds (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable

After reading reviews of this tobacco, I was so excited to spend the big bucks to try it. The first bowlful was okay, but boy has it gone downhill since then! My problem is that I have to continually 'fight' this tobacco. Hard to light. Hard to keep lit. Hard to puff. Just not an enjoyable experience at all. This stuff cost me $14 for a 2 oz tin. Thing is, I can get an ounce and a half of el cheapo drugstore tobacco like Prince Albert for less than 3 bucks and actually enjoy it much much more.

I have read others talking about various ways to age, dry or otherwise treat this stuff. Look, I am not a tobacco chemist. I do not have a cellar, nor do I want one, nor do I care to take time to somehow treat what I have spent many a hard earned buck on. I want something that I can take straight from the package and smoke and enjoy. This is definitely not it, and it has in essence turned me off of GLP altogether.

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (19)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

The Heirloom Collection: GL Pease Westminster

Westminster by the master artisanal tobacco blender GL Pease, is a delightful English Blend in the Heirloom Series, one that serves well as an all day smoke, responding readily to variances in pipe shape, bowl size, as well as to the individual nuances of the smoker. As such, it serves not only as an ideal introduction to the style of blend for the novice, but, due to a number of unique characteristics, also serves as a mainstay for a number of experienced tobacco pipe smokers who prefer English Blends.

What I hope to present here are a number of observations on this unique blend. The intent is to ascertain whether other pipe brethren have had similar experiences, and to promote the blend to the novice, because it serves as a wonderful benchmark to this style of blends. As many of you know, this blend was an attempt to riff on the original Dunhill London Mixture as detailed on the article The Road to Westminster.

As GL Pease states "Though not exactly the same as my beloved old pre-Murrays London Mixture, it carries that spirit with it, and delivers a great deal more than I"d thought possible at the outset". I have never tasted the original blend, first introduced in 1928, nor the Murrays incarnation, but I do know that todays Dunhill London Mixture can't hold a candle to Westminster. My greatest fear would be the discontinuation or alteration of the Westminster blend.

After 20+ yrs. of smoking English Blends, usually quite regularly, ranging from 5 to 20 bowls per day, I can honestly say that I have yet to come across a blend as intriguing as Westminster. There is something about it that really grabs hold of my attention, namely, the complexity, depth and layers of flavor as the bowl proceeds, as well as a number of magical qualities that I have rarely found among other blends. In short, this is true "pipe food" and is based on extremely high quality leaf, in finely tuned proportions, constituting, presumably, a closely guarded secret.

First off, unlike many blends, this blend retains its exquisite flavor upon relighting multiple times, even days later. That is, the volatile components are stable, despite prolonged exposure to air (i.e., oxidation). This means that I can smoke a bowl, and save the rest for later. If anything I find it gamier upon a re- light, even up to a week later. I can't say this for too many other tobaccos, which prove to be disappointing upon re-light even several hours hence, let alone a week later. Presumably, this is due the retention of volatile oils that give the unique flavor to Westminster. Thus, the chemistry of the blend appears highly stable, rendering it quite adaptable to nuances in the choice of pipe, bowl size, as well as, presumably, behavioral differences in the smoker. It is not a fickle blend. And that is why I can recommend this blend to the novice, as it is extremely forgiving.

Secondly, Westminster delivers a lovely "bowl smell", which is a metric that I rarely hear mentioned in tobacco reviews. You always hear talk of the room note (of which I could care less), and of course the all important flavor to the palate, but how many of you out there like to sniff your bowls, especially during the end of a long burn, towards the bottom of the bowl, when things begin to get delicious? For me, this blend produces a bowl smell of butternut squash, or roasted pumpkins. The bowl smell seems remarkably tied to the temperature of the burn. At lower temperatures, as recommended in a slow burn, the cucurbits mentioned above come through strongly, but at higher temperatures, I get nasal quaffs of subtle spice, dried figs and raisins. Presumably these sweet smells originate from the sugar- rich fire cured red Virginias in the blend. Incidentally, this sugar-rich component lends itself remarkably well to the aging of the blend, and I have had smokes from three year old cans that are simply superb. The dense, smoky, out- back campfire pit sweetness derives from the noble Cyprian mountain Latakia. The orientals, which I've heard somewhere is Izmir Leaf, also contribute to this unique bowl smell (note: some forums fail to mention the orientals in this blend). In short, this is a blend to smell, as well as smoke. Even when extinguished, there is a sweet bowl smell that lingers on for quite some time.

Third, it's hard to get bite out of this one, even if you go at it hard. Of course, a slower smoke will reveal more subtleties, like a slow draw on any tobacco, but even when chugged on forcefully, all I get is an amplification of the wonderful taste. Other blends, taste remarkably differently when sipped versus pulled on strongly. Most blends loose their taste when smoked hot and rapidly, leading to tongue bite and palate scorching. Not so with Westminster. This blend seems to provide the same flavors under both manners of consumption, and pulling strongly, on occasion during the smoke, only reinforces what one is after in the blend. In other words, Westminster delivers, no matter the rate of combustion. This is a true measure of chemical stability, and I know of few other blends that do this.

Lastly, Westminster performs well in all of my pipes, from Group 2s thru Group 6s, no matter the bowl shape, from pots to dublins to bulldogs, bents or straights. Even problematical or, shall we say, temperamental pipes, which tend to get relegated to the specific blends that they do well with, or whose ghosts I have not been able to completely extinguish with salt and grain alcohol, do well with this blend. In short, I have never had a bum smoke with this blend.

Finally, one is left with two impressions. The first is that it is evident that a very fine, high quality leaf is being employed, but one that remarkably retains its vigor under a range of different smoking conditions, so as to never disappoint. The chemical stability of the blend is attested to by the retention of smell and taste upon a re-light, long after extinguishing. The second impression, of course, is that the proportion or ratio of Virginia, Latakia and Orientals are matched perfectly - truly symphonic in scope. To be honest, I can not say that I love all of the GL Pease blends, but Westminster is a remarkable blend and one that will go down in history as the bench mark of what can be done with an English Blend. Regarding packaging, I have noticed a recent trend in the industry to maximize small volume tins, to the exclusion of the 16 oz volumes, that I prefer. Westminster however is still available by the pound. Could we hope perhaps to persuade Mr. Pease to provide this in bulk? One can only wish!

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Good stuff.

I came to pipes from the world of cigars, where cigar buffs write flowery, overly serious reviews of subtle aromas and flavors in snobby tones.

For wine snobs or Scotch buffs who can taste subtle hints of this and that by swishing liquid in the mouth, this might be a tobacco for you.

I read somewhere that this was G.L. Pease's effort at re-creating the old pre- Murray's version of Dunhill London Mixture. I don't know if he succeeded, as I never had the pleasure of trying the tobacco that inspired him. Whatever it is, this is really good tobacco.

I suspect that the quality of the Latakia in this blend is of better quality than some other Englishes I've tried. The figgy, rasiny Virginia taste so prominent in some Englishes are balanced nicely against the smoky Latakia, yielding a full, round richness.

Hearty and deeply satisfying, Westminster is soft, briny, savory, smoky, creamy, round and smooth all at once. Perhaps a shade less sweet than Old Dublin or Squadron Leader, less citrusy than Black Mallory. No flavor dominates, but all meld harmoniously. While this has a nice full body, the flavors are subtle and invite attention. The flavors change and evolve as the bowl warms, so that it imparts a taste of bitter licorice by bowl's end. To my uneducated palate, it was a beautiful smoke.

Zev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zev (5)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I found the Westminster blend from Mr. Pease to be quite satisfying and it smoked in harmony with a neat glass of Jameson's. Considering this is only the fourth blend I've tried, I think it is foolhardy of me to gush and go on and on in rhetoric and fluff, but this is a very good blend. Full of flavor and taste, it is a good next step from University Flake and a far departure from Captain Black (both the white & blue pouches).

My 2oz tin was neither moist nor dry when I opened it, but I think I should let it sit out a bit longer for my next bowl as I had a bit of difficulty keeping it lit.

I smoked this blend in a brand new author from brebbia, so perhaps after I build up the cake a bit, I'll have a more comprehensive understanding of this beautiful blend.

BossSauce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BossSauce (9)

Really, this is the only tobacco I need (though there are others I enjoy). Complex, flavorful, salty, creamy, chewy, smooth, and always cool.

I've had people comment on how good this tobacco smells, and I couldn't agree with them more. I keep buying tins of the stuff even though I don't smoke too often. It makes me want to horde.

paintyouup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paintyouup (4)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Well, what can I say that has not already been said? This blend gives to pipe smokers what Shafer gives to wine drinkers. This blend is so smooth and tastes great. A great blend for those looking to break away from aromatics, and will not let you go back. Truly tobacco at it's highest.

Lord Gustav Hindley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Gustav Hindley (2)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

right, splendid Pipe Tobacco indeed. As i have searched for a Replacement for John Cottons No. 2, i think i may after Years of Search found the Replacement. Although it has been a very long time since i last smoked John Cottons, and had to cough up many bad Tobacco Blends along the way, if my Memouries serve myself correctly, this is almost identitical to John Cottons. If anyone knows of one better than Westminster in regards to John Cotton, please mention, i would very much appricate this. Pax tecum... Gustav

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)

This is high quality tobacco. It comes just humid enough and not dry or too wet. It packs easily and lights up fine. It stays lit with no problems. The description written above is spot on. I enjoy this with coffee in the morning sitting on the back porch. It is smooth and very satisfying. The flavors are well combined and the strength is just right. There is a good amount of latakia as it says but is not overpowering. It doesn't stay with you all day either. When my stash runs low I will be purchasing more of this. Enjoy!

Cantrell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cantrell (9)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is not for me, too subtle, too bitey, and smells downright weird. although I can see why some would love this. Its certainly a tobacco to be treated with respect, insomuch as amaturish packing or the slightest misstep will make it taste awefull.

I have little patience for tobaccos like this, having only been smoking pipes for a few years. perhaps I will "grow into it" but I doubt it.

I'll stick with my sweet delicious smokes that taste nothing like tobacco, if this is an example of what is the "best" tobaccos are like.

Update: awefull stuff

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)

A very well made English blend. Greg did a spectacular job of his tribute to London Mix. Let me be clear, it is not, nor has it ever claimed to be a replacement to Dunhill's LM. I do say that if you puff in series, as I do, on the third puff when the tobacco, is decently hot, you do taste it. The little twinge, and there it is like a tease, that LM taste. It is almost like you have to bribe the bowl to yeild that familiar rendering, but it is there. The blend itself in its own right is a work of art, and yes Mr. Alfred Dunhill would be proud, as I'm sure he is for what you're doing. Keep the faith Greg, and bretheren keep smoking with pride.

Tortuga Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tortuga (17)

Westminster is a top tier tobacco. I'm not the first person to say that, and you won't be the last person to experience it. Westminster is a buttoned up, first class English firmly planted in the middle of the strength spectrum. It reminds one of a well groomed and quaffed K-9 prancing over the dog-trot at a Dog Show. “Just look at those jowls!” "His front quarters are really something aren't they!” We all have blends we love as much as our comfortable ol' mutts, but that is not Westminster. With Westminster, you hang his pedigree on your wall and demand a stud fee from each sample you gift to a fellow smoker.

Ironically enough, I wanted to use the name of a famous dog show in this review and would you believe what the number one hit is when you google “famous dog show?” WESTMINSTER. Apparantly, the storied district of London is home to more than an Abbey.

Westminster is dry in the tin. A mix of broken flake and ribbon, each piece of tobacco could have snapped like a twig. For me that's not a problem as I care about how it smokes much more. Easy to load (just tumble in) and I found it to burn very well as it crunches beneath your tamper. The VA's are luscious and sweet, the orientals are toasty and high, and the cyprian is top notch smoke and spice.

The tin I'm sampling was made a mere 3 months ago, so this has zero age on it. I liked it from the start, but as I'm at the bottom of the tin, I have experienced some really special smokes where the flavors of the blend's components were so well integrated, that the result was something different altogether – a symphonic representation of , what to me, might be absolutely classic. There is nothing unusual or surprising about this English blend other than it's unapologetically snooty supremacy over every other english I've tried (and I have not tried them all). In the world of English blends, Westminster is the Bentley-driving Guru.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (18)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This one is supposed to be inspired by the original Dunhill London Mixture. 3 weeks ago I found a solitary tin of Dunhill London Mixture at a reputable tobacco place that moves lots of high end pipe tobacco (I put it into my own stocking as a stuffer for Xmas morning). While this tin of London Mixture seems to be Orlick made (Murrays tin top, Orlick Tin bottom with Made in EU on bottom but made in UK top that is painted). This must be a well aged, all Dunhill tins are now a few years past importing now. I compared Westminster to the London Mixture which I really like. Two bowls and I really like this blend ** REST DELETED, SEE UPDATE

= UPDATE = I smoked about 5 bowls off the top of the tin when I opened it up in 2009 and loved it. I then put it away in an airtight mason jar to age as I had other tobaccos to open and enjoy from my online order. A few months later and many other tobaccos smoked, I had another bowl and HATED it then put it away to sort out later. Here it is 5 years later in the fall of 2013 and I hate it more. Perhaps I have had the chance to enjoy many more good tobaccos (I was a newbie pipe smoker in 2009). One big problem I have is this tobacco seems like my can was from leftovers, stems and dust. The light colored tobacco is tiny, cubed to dust like. One black stem is about 2 inches long with just a little bit of leaf on it. I have chunk like slices, one of which I opened up and found a ragged 45 x 20 mm whole brown leaf. Any blender who allows his packer to pack up the stuff picked up by a dust broom or thrown into the trash should be ashamed. I counted this off as just a bad tin, sold as premium tobacco. However, I read more reviews and find so many other people commenting about the rough cut. This lack of care in the cut effects the consistency of the smoke, taste and enjoyment. One bowl may be mostly of gold dust and the other of stems and big leaves of a different type of tobacco. This is the only tin I have ever purchased from GL Pease and it will be my last. He should be embarrassed. If I hadn't purchased this tin online, I would have brought it back to the tobacconist who sold it to me rather than wasting a good mason jar. I read the review by PIPESTUD and he reports this being cut like shag tobacco. WHAT?!? He must have smoked specially hand made stuff selected just for the Chicago Pipe show. this stuff the rest of us get is TRASH. Unless GL Pease somehow finds a way to get me to try his tobacco again, I will spend my money on better product blended by true master blenders.

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

As has been noted, pretty much everything that can be said about this tobacco has been said here. So, I will simply add that I LOVE THIS TOBACCO! From the moment you open the tin and load your first bowl, it's a pure, rich, creamy, smoky delight from beginning to end.

I will DEFINITELY be buying more of this!

NursDad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NursDad (9)

I can't add much that hasn't already been said in previous reviews. A very pleasant and smooth smoking experience. Moisture content a bit dry; enjoy it best in a large bowl.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

Westminster is simply fantastic! Excellent tobacco's in wonderful proportion. Beautiful use of Latakia as to not dominate the blend as soooo many do, thus allowing the red Virginias and Orientals to really shine. Smokey, sweet and complex, I love it! There is a line in the tin description that really says it all. "Westminster is a satisfying blend, presenting layers of flavor to delight the senses and develop in the bowl".

Westminster is a perfect symphony of tobacco's !!!

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)

Update (Jan 2010):

Craving for a good English, I tried Westminster once more. The only thing I changed is the pipe. Now, in a group 3 Dunhill or a similar billiard from Stanwell, I really love it. What remains true, however, is that the taste evolve all through the bowl, and I would prefer more matured tobaccos. I upgrade to 4 stars anyways and will re-order some more soon.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A classic English. Just wish at it had a tad more Latakia. It smokes smooth and cool. A very pleasant tobacco.

DaveS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveS (11)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For Balkan Sobraine, and that world, now vanishing, Westminster is born.

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)

One of most delicious English blends I have ever smoked. The flavors are more woven together and easy to identify. Another FINE every day smoke from Pease.

Stationmaster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stationmaster (7)
Strong None Detected Very Full Overwhelming

G?day there, this is my first review and I?m a ?re-newbie?. I re-started with some bulk aromatics (stupid boy), then some Dunhill (EU), Peterson (EU) etc. tins. Best for mine was MM 965 but it?s gone, so I needed a replacement. ----Bang----!! Westminster. This was an epiphany. It almost takes my breath away when I lift the lid. It?s smoky, musty, earthy and smoky again with just the faintest background hint of some fermentation, but when I load and light, what a magnificently brutal assault. It?s all happening here and the tobaccos line up to hit me in turn and then gang up. An added joy is that for hours afterwards I get an occasional resinous whiff from my moustache that reminds me of what happened. Then I smile. Packs and lights easily and only needs a relight during tamping, smokes to the bottom in all size bowls and it doesn?t stew. She says it smells like horse s#!t. Some of the more experienced chums won?t approve, but if you add 1 part of this to 3 parts of a mistake purchase, such as 1Q, you can actually smoke the stuff instead of turfing it, but don?t tell anyone. This Westminster is what I thought Dunhill? would be like. Maybe Mr Dunhill could pay Mr Pease a reasonable sum of money to produce his tins. Anyhow I have to go. I can?t smell my moustache.

Subotaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Subotaj (8)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

The Dude! His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

T-H-E B-E-S-T Latakia blend available in the market.

Mashpee_Tsuge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mashpee_Tsuge (1)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must say that this is my favorite English blend; Penzance and Squadron Leader follow right behind.

I also must say that the Silver Spigot's review is absurd, and I agree that if one is getting bitten from this blend, that one is doing something really, really wrong and insipidly inept. That one should not waste his and our time with his inane inferences.

Westminster is a great Blend.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

If you get a bite from this, you need to learn how to actually smoke a pipe. Great "English Mixture" and a regular paired with Abingdon. Try it, savor it slowly, and enjoy it.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)

G.L. Pease Westminster is one of those rare blends that come along that have your jaw dropping and your mouth watering from the first bowl on. This blend is nothing short of being bloody brilliant. With the new year just getting off to a start I now can say, "bring it on!" The red virginias will have your mouth watering and will proceed to be soaked up nicely by the rich Cyprus mountain Latakia. This smoke leaves you in the tranquil and peaceful zone. This stuff is consistently yummy down to the bare bottom of the bowl leaving white ash. For those of you who do not smoke a bowl back to back...that will all change here!

With a market full of just okay blends we thank you Mr. Pease for standing out with Westminster. Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!

stbdtack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stbdtack (2)

This is an excellent "English". I think the best aspect of it is the long finish, a nice, earthy Latakia taste that goes on and on. . . I tend to prefer a more full bodied blend so I'll be trying Abingdon soon. For me a great morning smoke!

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)

No more concerns for decreasing quality of Dunhill mixtures,here Mr.Please come to relief:a true classic EM. She must be dried a bit to make serviceable.I'have had a great time with Westminster and I will purchase more. In my point of view,the strenght on Pease mix's is in their balance and refinement. Yes,there are many other everyday EM out there,but this one is classy,elegant,satisfyng and (to me) dangerously addictive. A perfect everyday English mixture,indeed.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Initially, this one was a rare Pease blend that did not do it for me. Upon further consideration and a second tin, I get it. A fine English blend with complexity. The Latakia does not overwhelm the nuanced mix of Virginias and Orientals. A fine tobacco.

tomobedlam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomobedlam (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is it. I no longer need to mourn the passing of my beloved MM 935! I've been searching: Penzance is close...but this Pease blend has it all, and then some. I'm ordering a pound as soon as I'm done with this review. Which is now.

CrowdedHouse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CrowdedHouse (3)

I have smoked just one 2oz tin of Westminster.It is a very good English blend. My initial experience with it was not good - I got severely bitten by it! I think another reviewer mentioned opening and just leave the lid covering(not sealed)it for a week.Very good advice indeed,it was after that I discovered the grand smoke that it is.

Piperpan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piperpan (9)

It has still been said below: elegant,balanced. For similar people. Very recomended to those kind of people. 5 stars.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

HOLY COW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not believe my senses. I had heard this tobacco was good but my God this is GREAT. I had no idea that a blend could be this well balanced and refined with out being either hot or overwhelming in nuances. I have reviewed 130+ tobaccos and have never felt this strongly about a blend. The VA tobacco is wonderful full of flavor without being too sweet, the Oriental is perfect and the Latakia well it is just right. A lot of other reviewers have already given their two cents on this one, so there is really nothing else to say. In summary 11 stars out of 4. This blend will change your pipe smoking life forever.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)

The other reviews say it all: this is a very good tobacco.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

WARNING!!!!!! This tobacco is highly addictive. Once you try it you will never be able to live without it. Abstinence syndrome can go from severe to very severe, including depression, bad temper and parkinson-like symptoms. Some cases of Tardive Dyskinesia and Emotional Shock had been reported.

Now, seriously, it´s a pity there is no 10 star option. This one would deserve it. Next time I go to England I will visit Westminster Abbey and take a flower offering, not in honor of the British Monarchs buried there, but to this blend, which is destined to reign as well.

There´s nothing to add to the reviews below. Just read them. If they have 4 stars believe them. If not, they´re lying.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (27)

I tried this blend several times, and my first impression is "not good as Renaissance", but after ten smokes I finally discover the magic on it... Spicy, without being overwellming, the rigth amount of nicotine, excellent virginia and very balanced with the latakia.

Many times I find the english blends borings and flats, this is a different breed, interesting texture.

The impression as the same on morta, briar and meerschaum pipes. The defects, maybe the humidity is too excesive on the tin (this is better tha too dry), and a little "overheat the pipe".

Nice experience, I never tried the London Mixture, but Westminter is a "top ten" , different of others GL Pease blends that I like (Bohemian Scandal, Oddisey, Mephisto and Renaissance).

More spicy tah Bohemian or Renaissance, best when you have to religth than Odissey and not so complex as Mephisto.

Perfect for every day, not necessary have a big meal before smoke it (like Odissey), match fine with a red wine or just a cup of coffe.

My complements to Mr. Pease, well I give this blend a four star.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

"Golly Gee Mrs. Cleaver, what a nice dress you're wearing today. Boy oh Boy Mr. Cleaver, whatever you're smoking in your pipe sure smells great. Don't be too rough on the beaver."

GLP Westminster. A bloody triumph of the blender's art. Fabulous, rich, easy to lock and load. A two Vesta affair. I like to smoke half a bowl, go outside, then return to the lair to smell the aroma of what has to be the best English blend ever. I then destroy the last half with boyish glee.

Mr. Pease, now that this review is done, please make the check out to BriarChef. I also accept PayPal and cash (with two pieces of ID.)

cbd2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cbd2 (10)

I don't know why I waited so long to try G. L. Pease's Westminister but now that I've found it, there's no looking back. I've really nothing new to add to the reviews below - many are spot-on and I can now understand why so many love this blend. If I may pontificate: I think that those of us who try different blends are looking for two things: flavorful blends to enjoy in variety and the "Holy Grail" of blends. In Westminster, the Abbey being a favorite spot of mine in London, I feel as if I've at least found the "Holy Spoon" and I shall try never to be without it again: it has earned s spot in my "never be without" rotation.

Harvey54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harvey54 (4)

Well I must say that after a about of year of cellaring this stuff has hit its mark. The Virginia is sweet and the orientals give it a nice boost. It has mellowed very nicely and when you let it dry a bit it is a great smoke anytime of day. It has taken the place of Early Morning Pipe in my rotation of English blends. Although I must say I have a tin of EMP standing guard for over two years now and I am going to let it stand a few more if I can resist the temptation. I have also given Abingdon and Samarra a good look and have those also on guard for future experimentation. All in all I must say that my experience with GLP blends has been a real pleasure and I am looking forward to cellaring more of this and other offerings he has.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)

This is exquisite tobacco. You can taste the latakia, orientals and the sweetness of the virginias throughout the smoke. Will be ordering more of this, and making it a regular staple in my rotation.

Unlike Penzance, which has such a strong flavour that it will still smoke well in a mediocre pipe, Westminster should be saved for your best pipes, as otherwise you'll miss a lot of what's going on here.

I also note that after two weeks in the jar the orientals fade, making the blend taste flat. I noticed this with Squadron Leader too -- after a couple of weeks it becomes unsmokeable as the orientals start to taste like dust. Plan on smoking this stuff fast, and order only the 2oz tins, or plan on smoking a diminished blend.

Best tobacco I've ever smoked.

Thedarklord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thedarklord (9)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a magnificent English blend. A load of oriental tobacco is offset by a blast of smoky Latakia. It is all balanced with just the right amount of Red Virginia. What a treat. A perfect rainy day would a Peterson pipe of Westminster and a leather bound edition of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?s Sherlock Holmes. If you prefer English blends, this is a must!

As a big fan of Pease, I was glad to see this offering. This blend has become one of my "staples" for an everyday, no-nonsense great smoking experience.

When the tin is first opened, you definitely should let this blend air out a bit. It is a little too moist to smoke out of the tin. Better yet, open a tin and leave it alone for a few weeks with the plastic cover on and then start smoking it.

The flavor is absolutely delicious. It is in the "English" flavor profile, but there is a decidedly unique spiciness that I have not found in other "English" style blends. It burns well all the way to the bottom of the bowl with the usual build up of strength as you get there. It is also not so heavy as to keep you from filling up and starting another bowl.

Another fine blend by Mr. Pease. Highly Recommended......

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The prototype of English mixtures. I find the Virginias-Orientals-Latakia balance to be perfect on this blend, with no secondary roles. It reminds me of Dunhill London Mixture (in my mind, this is 80% London Mixture and 20% Odyssey).

Developing from a sweet English to a smoky almost-Balkan through the bowl, this masterpiece has joined my permanent rotation along with Penzance and My Mixture 965. Only drawback is the difficulty to keep it lit, partially due to the irregular cut.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

2/25/2008: Smoking this aged is really something special. It did not sweenten as expected, but it is a more concentrated flavor. Really for those who love lots of Latakia. It gains a star and I have rated the "taste" to "medium to full" from "medium".

1/25/2007: "Daddy, what's an English mixture?"

"Son, instead of me trying to explain it, just load Westminster into your Playskool pipe and smoke it."

"Oh, it's good. It's kinda smoky and spicy and a bit sweet, like eating BBQ ribs around a mountain campfire. Daddy, why do people smoke Captain Riff if they can smoke Westminster?"

"Son, some men like ugly women, too."

Now that I've undoubtedly offended the pedestrian tobacco preferences and frugality of someone, perhaps thousands, if you want to know what a medium English mixture tastes like, try Westminster. It really is quintessential.

Even if Karo-mentholated sheet tobacco is your ?desert grail blend?, try Westminster in a clean pipe. Please, though, remain faithful to your wife, even if she's ugly. She probably really isn't ugly, it is just that your sensibilities have become occluded along with your palate from those cloying blends you keep smoking. Change blends and rediscover your wife!

I re-read my review of the Murrays version of Dunhill's London Mixture and it basically holds true for Greg's newest. W is on the fuller side of "medium" taste. Since Dunhill has now become Dane-hill, who knows how LM compares? I am not the least bit interested.

I agree W (not the president, though...) is too wet (dripping?) out of the tin, and the Latakia and Turkish dominate presently (to a tasty effect). But those nice chunks of Virginia flake not only keep this fairly cool if smoked smoldering with a loose pack, the flakes will get a bit sweeter with age. Then the blend will round out. Then folks will forget about Dane-hill and most other medium English blends, save perhaps Squadron Leader. I think folks will also miss Renaissance a bit less, too, RIP.

Three stars with a bullet. Smoke some now and store some for later. You cannot lose.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)

I love this. The blend of orientals are perfect. Bit more complex than Odessy which I like. This can be an everyday smoke as opposed to that full once in awhile full on latakia smoke. The ash is a buetiful fluffy, light grey. Definetly easier to keep lit than Odessy. Very balenced. I think it is the red virgina that makes a difference...I don't know what full red Virgina tastes like but the tobacco that I have sampled that include red virgina with latakia seem to satisfy. Will add to this as I go through the tin but already have another tin awaiting. Will be a regular smoke.

Medium None Detected Full Strong

It's a long time since I tried a new GL Pease. Indeed, I'm one of the mourners of the bygone London Mixture (as much as I enjoy Golden Sliced and Dark Strong Kentucky, I refuse to try an Orlik version of any Dunhill). So here I am, smoking my fifth bowl of Westminster.

Whether this is a recreation of LM, or whether is closer to Standard Mixture, I can't really tell. It's a hell of a good, very good English mixture. It's tasty, balanced and properly dark (profound, some might say). I like it very much. I find it a stronger, fuller version of another GLP classic: Renaissance.

It lacks the mineral, earthy tones of Balkans, but since it doesn't claim to be one, it is indeed a perfect English. Great tobacco, and closer to any former Dunhill than the current Orlik renderings. But the fact is this tobacco--like most of GLP--stands perfectly well on its own terms. Kudos.

bilbohooker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bilbohooker (12)

When I first tried this tabac I was a little disappointed. Although it was good, it wasn't great. It seemed a little rough around the edges, like it needed more aging. Frankly I've experienced this with other Pease blends before. So, I replaced the lid and left it behind the seat of my truck for 10 days. This seemed to make all the difference in the world. Now it's extremely smooth and tastier than before. Update: After some time and reading one of Greg's articles on sun cooking tobaccos, it seems I've err'd. From now on, I'll buy two or three tins at a time and keep some aging instead of trying to speed up the process myself. Still a great tobacco though, aged or right out off the shelf. I've come to love this tobacco more and more and have been smoking it almost every day. I'm upgrading my recommendation to four stars.

bronxbill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bronxbill (10)

I waited until I finished the whole tin before I wrote my review. All I can say is this is an excellent blend. I found that the orientals gave just the right amount of spice to counteract the sweetness of the VA. The level of Latikia was just right for my tastes. Contrary to some of the previous reviews, my tin had just the right moisture level on opening. Just for information, my tin was packaged in September, so perhaps the moisture level has been corrected in later packaging. I did find that you need a light hand in packing the pipe. Too much pressure in the initial pack will cause multiple relights. If packed lightly, it smokes right to the bottom of the bowl. I will be buying more of this excellent blend.

awt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
awt (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Now some years later, I could rewrite my same review. Nothing has changed. I haven't smoked my pipes for about a year and restarted with Westminster. Opened some older tins. Fantastic.

More then 3 monthes of Westminster only (almost), up to 5 bowls a day. I rediscovered the pleasure of pipe smoking with it. I was almost convinced that the great times of english mixtures were over and by chance I opened a tin of it. Now I buy in bulks it and put it away. Sometimes I need a break from the power of latakia with some good VA but the back to Westminster. Maybe in the evening if there is enough time a stronger blend but thats not really necessary.

Now some conditions: smoke it in a beautiful vintage very clean billiard pipe of fairly large but not excessive size as Dunhill 127 (up to LB), an old Comoy, a Barling Billiard or canadian or similar. I believe it adds consistently to the smoking pleasure. Second, let Westminster dry out a little, it will reward you with grey ashes and a smoke down to the very bottom. The cake build up is perfect. Last but not least have some good pipes dedicated to it, you will not regret it. A down side of Westminster is the irregularity of its cut, but see the bright side of it and take a little more time to fill your bowl. How long shall I import it from US? EU Distributors what are you doing?

Brian Scherzer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brian Scherzer (5)

Many others who have reviewed this tobacco already have far more experience than I do. All that I can do is give my own experience over the past couple of days when smoking Westminster. First, I did not find the tobacco to be at all wet when I opened the tin. Smoking several bowls in different pipes, I found the experiences to be almost identical.....noticing the Latakia first, followed by a slight sweetness. Somewhere in the 2nd half of the pipe I began to notice a nutty taste emerging, but only a bit of it. It was very easy to smoke the entire bowl to the bottom, with few relights being necessary. No goop to be found. The smoking experience was topnotch! This blend is truly well-balanced, with no particular taste emerging too far to the forefront. A tip of the hat to Mr. Pease!

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

In the tin, this reeks of richness. The cut is long cut, medium to wide ribbon admixed with flakes of pressed orientals.

It is difficult deconstruct this blend into parts, as each component is remarkably balanced against the rest. This is an exquisitely dry interplay between superlative turkish and latakia. The barest virginia sweetness, crucial to avoiding aridity, is in perfect proportion.

A remarkable accomplishment, this is one outstanding mixture. It is balanced, round, and mellow; no more, no less. Aging is highly advised. This went well in a chamber of any gauge.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)

Bought this after all the great reviews here. I was not disappointed. Well balanced components but with the Oriental tobaccos (rather than the Latakia) really making up the bulk of the flavor. Tastes kinda like a lighter version of Pease's Odyssey to me, so if you like that blend but are looking for something that isn't so strong and won't keep you up all night try this blend. As has been said by others, you HAVE to dry it out a little before smoking it or you will have heck of a time keeping it lit.

podpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
podpipe (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

...rich, elegant, refined, and exquisitely balanced. Mr. Pease was spot on when he wrote the description of this blend...subtle not overpowering with any taste...well balanced. Every puff is an experience in subtle nuances...sweet spicy nutty etc. if you're still hooked on aromatics or looking to try an english blend please go for westminster...you'll leave those aromatics behind.

student Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
student (21)

First my gripe. This weed is unsmokable right from the tin. Moist,damp,WET. Now for the other part. Once dried to smokable levels, this is a good English mixture. The Va and latakia play little in and out games sometimes but mostly are well behaved and harmony between them goes from charring light to bowl bottom. I was given my tin by my wonderful wife who, after I lit it the first time, asked if I didn't need to water the garden. Well, my pipe and I vacated the premises. I've tried it a couple of times since then when she isn't home but haven't been able to fool her yet. The latakia curse strikes again. Pardon the digression. Westminister has a very slight rough edge to it but I expect six months or so will cure that.If you are an English blend smoker, its great when dried. If you are a VA/Per smoker, try this, you will like it. If you smoke mainly aromatics, well try this anyway, you may surprise your self by liking it. I wish it were a bit more dry on opening and that is what keeps me from rating it higher.

butter_side_down Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butter_side_down (12)

I got a tin of this in a GL Pease sampler pack. When I first tried it, I thought it was just OK and I didn't understand all the four star ratings. Of course, it was far too wet at the time, and so I left the entire contents out for a while to dry. After the drying, it got a little better, certainly a three star blend, but still nothing really special. Then I put the lid on it, threw it in the back of the cabinet and forgot about it for about a month. One day, I decided to try it again. WOW!!! Unbelievable. Everything that had been described and more. Bought a few more tins before I was even through with that first tin.

When I opened up the second tin, I thought I had learned my lesson and dried the entire contents out before loading up a bowl. To my surprise it was good but nothing special. I thought I'd just lost my taste for it. This happens to me sometimes. My taste is somewhat fickle. So, for a second time, I threw the tin in the back of the cabinet. Again, about a month later, I decided to try it again. And once again, WOW!!!

So the entire point of the review is to say that I'm starting to believe that perhaps this blend needs to be opened a while before it can be truly enjoyed. I don't have any scientific data to back that up, nor any explanation for why it might be. But since it happened to me twice, I thought it might be worth passing along. So if it doesn't seem like anything special to you, try leaving it alone for a while and see what happens.

LostInDaJungle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LostInDaJungle (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

An excellent English. What else is there to say? No tricks, no gimmicks, just a solid tobacco experience. Perfectly balanced flavors of oak, peat, and leather. After my first bowl, I wanted my second. If you like English, you can't help but like this.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

I must say the previous reviewer nailed it. I have been smoking Dunhill blends for 20 years and I really loved the underneath "thick" or "oily" smoked flavor in every one of their line of tobaccos. Indeed Dunhill weed made up 90% of my cellar. Sadly the new blenders of Dunhill do what is so common in the world today, ruining great products trying to improve that bottom line using cheaper ingredients, instead of just charging more for a proven winner.

I ran across Westminster while smoking a boatload of trial tins looking for an all day English to replace my beloved 965. Yes, Westminster does remind one of London Mixture, overall I think I like it better than the old Dunhill weed. Perhaps less Turkish in this mix make it better to me, but it just seems so much lighter on the tongue and in the mouth while still providing a flavor packed smoking experience. It is complex with each component playing a role from time to time. It smokes cool and dry and my tin had perfect moisture content. Just excellent tobacco.

Looks like I will smoking a lot of this blend until Mr. Pease decides to duplicate 965. I can only hope that he turns that master's touch to every tobacco in the Dunhill line, and runs the bastards right out of the business.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Once again, Mr. Pease creates a tobacco that makes me sit at my desk and daydream about the evening to come. On his website, he says that Westminster was inspired by Dunhill's London Mixture and I can certainly see that, though I feel like Westminster has more latakia and less of the other Orientals, and so it's smokier. Fine with me. I've smoked the Orlik London Mixture back to back with Westminster and find some strong similarities in that incarnation of LM as well. I feel quite vehement in my conviction that this blend would be a perfect starting point for someone starting off with English blends.

Dug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dug (18)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Wow.

My experience with Pease blends has been uneven. They haven't always provided the different-in-kind nirvana that the premium prices and rave reviews had led me to expect.

Westminster must've been what I was waiting for. If you like English blends, you will love this stuff. Deep, balanced, complex: It has the gravitas of a great cigar, but with a clean, woodsmoke edge, like you're actually smoking some oak-paneled library at Magdelen College, Oxford -- leather-bound volumes and all...

My only caveat would be to use a lighter with this blend, or have plenty of matches on hand. Unless you dry it out a bit first, it takes some fire to get it going, and it may require a relight or two. But once it goes: Mmm, mmm, good.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

This one took some patience for me, but by the time I finished my 7th or 8th bowl, I was sold. My tin was a little moist so I do have to air out the tobacco a bit. The taste took a while for me to fully explore, but now, if I barely place the tip of the stem in my mouth, and inhale oh so slightly, all the great tastes and smells become my reward. The only latakia blend from Pease I will buy more of since his first series. An incredibly smooth and tasty smoking experience.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

The guys down at Iwan Ries told me in February that Pease had come out with a new blend, and that it was "the bomb" (their words, not mine). I bought a tin after smoking a courtesy bowl in the store.

I like this so much that I've dedicated a pipe to it after half of a tin (an old estate Author with "Algerian Briar" stamped on the side). This weed seems to like larger bowls.

Nothing I can say will add any to these reviews. This is the high-water mark for any full English blend I've tried. I will be buying a few tins of this to put away. Just pray that this one doesn't disappear like so many of the great blends from the past.

bigdummy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigdummy (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Not enough Os in "smoooooooth"... Sweet campfire smoke, complete with charring marshmallows and a bit of salt-air tang. This is, by far, the finest example of an "English" blend I've smoked yet. My original tins are all marked early January '07 and the burn rate on this early batch was something less than optimal, something I gather that has been remedied. But the smoke never turned bitter and the relights were all just as smooth and sweet as the rest of the bowl - don't let that stop you from trying this fine weed. My cobs and briars, large and small, all adore this blend. I have to agree with Puff Daddy about cellaring way too much of this stuff. Yes - it's that good!

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

The finest GLP blend created. My tin, which was packed in late March 2007, did not experience the issue of being too moist. It was perfect smoking humidity straight from the tin. Perfect burn, perfect flavor and smooth.

Loaded into an LJ Heart, it lit without incident and stayed lit throughout the bowl. Unlike some Pease blends that can be harsh and unrefined, this one is truly a masterpiece. The perfect English blend reminiscent of so many of the Dunhill mixtures that are no more.

For you English lovers out there, this is one to stock up on. Incidently, it does smell rather leathery and only ugly women at bar closing time will want you when smoked in the company of females.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

Much has already been written about this wonderfully full, rich English, so there's not much more to add.

My tin (from 1/3/07) was unusually moist -- something that was quickly corrected by GLP in subsequent tinnings -- but it didn't take much time at all to get it dry enough to take and hold a light.

Westminster has the wildest cut of any Pease blend I've yet tried, with ribbons of latakia nestled beside great chunks of broken Virginia flake. That makes packing a little challenging. But any effort is worth it, for Westminster carries the complexity and depth of an old, mature blend that is a joy to smoke. This even occasionally strikes a deep, rich note that I'm used to experiencing only in blends featuring perique -- and there is no perique here.

I'm convinced that Westminster is going to be the blend that future generations look back on as an outstanding achievement, just as many now look back on the Craven Mixture or Balkan Sobranie. Stock up, my friends. Stock up.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)

What can I say? Pease strikes again. If you can get a warehouse-full of this stuff, do so, and then call up Microsoft and maybe they'll offer you half the company in exchange for it.

Somehow the "zip" of the Latakia doesn't overtake, and I've never gotten tongue bite from the Pease tobaccos. This particular one changes across the bowl, running from tangy and salty at the top of the bowl, down to nutty and sort of sesame-like at later stages.

And it's worth really paying attention to your light -- if you let it go out and then cool and re-light, you may not get the next flavor as comprehensively as, if you smoke it all straight down from one lighting by fire at the outset. Make sense?

Highly reco.

tbone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tbone (6)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Really Good if you like Latakia. NOt to be used indoors at my house, but only for the sake of the wife, kids and dogs. I would have no problem come home to this smoky, peaty, aroma. Reminds me of a nice glass of Islay Whisky (Laphroaig or Lagavulin). For me, it's 965 on steroids. Get some!

LatakiaLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LatakiaLover (5)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Since the TR text editor doesn't format cut-and-paste properly, here is a link to a review published elsewhere in the online tobacco world. Westminster is a truly exceptional blend, IMO, and I had much to say about it. The story behind its creation is inspiring, and illustrates Greg's tremendous passion for blending. Copy the following URL into your browser, and enjoy the ride: :-) http://forums.knoxcigar.net/viewtopic.php?t=6038

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (69)

A pleasurable blend - I believe I smoked this tin more quickly than any single other tin in recent history. I had a 2-week business trip in Scandinavia and, after a difficult and trying workday, it was nice to sit down in the quilted hotel chair, lean back, let the Westminster flavor flood and relax.

Latakia compliments but doesn't dominate. What makes this blend unique is the oriental amping going on here.

An excellent blend.

Images evoked include the symphony of muted hacksaws in strange unison wielded by undead lumberjacks on a beautiful spring day.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is The GLP version of Bufflehead's "Three Oaks". A truly outstanding and full flavored mixture. Treat yourself to the best of the best. 4 English stars!

birdseye Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
birdseye (15)
Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

It's difficult to know what to add to all the rave reviews of this absolutely excellent blend. All I have to say is that Greg Pease set out to try to capture the essence of Dunhill's original London Mixture, one of the greatest blends ever made, and has succeeded brilliantly. I remember and mourn the old London Mixture that used to give me so much pleasure, but now I can rejoice. It has been re-born in an even grander form in Westminster!

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Mild None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

It was a mistake to get this latest GLP concoction. I purchased a tin which arrived in early January '07 and was able to resist opening it until 2 March. Big mistake. If this tobacco is this good with just two month's aging, I cannot imagine what it will be like after it's had two year's. I'm also wondering what I'm going to do with the approximately six pounds of cellared tobacco I own... everything from S. Gawith to J.J. Fox. Since opening this tin of Westminster it is all I want to smoke. I've heard that Greg Pease will be offering Westminster in 1 lb. tins so perhaps what I'll do is buy a few of those and stash them away - in the interim I'll focus on smoking up everything else I've cellared. By the time I finish my cellar, the stashed Westminster should be sublime.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

Very in depth review from Webber/4509. Basically useless. I notice that some folks seem to have an axe to grind with Greg Pease blends. I cannot imagine why. I have never tasted a Pease blend yet (10 so far) that was not well above average.

clifswin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clifswin (8)

There's been poetry aplenty, so I'll just say this: the first time I tried this was at an event where Mr. Pease was the guest of honor. I shook his hand and thanked him for it, and never in my life has handshake or thank you been more heartfelt. This is a tobacco so good that only poverty or the desire for variety could ever justify my smoking anything else. Really. I'll keep smoking other things, of course, but if this were the only tobacco in the world I'd still be quite happy.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)

A trip to the past.

Haven't smoked anything this seemingly full yet refined for many a year. Not that heavy really but not a starter blend IMO. Classic English, balanced Latakia, Virginia, and Orientals. Latakia first up, then Virginias in layers, then spicy Orientals, then all together now. Wonderful aroma in the can.

Some aging and further marrying of leaf should enhance the refinement. A bit of drying right out of the tin is helpful.

I can say no more. Words fail me now. I am speechless.

Well.... If they gave an Oscar for blends, this would win for best direction and special effects.

farmgent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
farmgent (4)

"A perfect every-day English" The label says it all. A blend of such harmony that it evokes a symphony of ones senses. On initial light Latakia takes the forefront which quickly gives way to the VA sweetness and the tickle of the orientals weaving in and out. As the bowl progressed each of the different tobaccos took turns taking center stage and then stepping back for the next soloist. If you like English tobacco or are looking for what one is, then look no further.

Highly recommended.

peakbagger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peakbagger (41)

This is a flavorful, all day medium english. The tin aroma is nice and mellow and not overpowered by the Latakia; everything seems well balanced. The tobaccos are mostly dark in a rough ribbon cut with some heavier flakes mixed in. Very fresh, as I note from the date on the tin, it's a little moist also but it lights well and didn't require too many relights along the way. The Latakia is Cyprian and smokey, the VAs are both bright and tasty with the Orientals adding just enough depth and spice. Just like the tin aroma the flavor is well balanced and could be an all day smoke. 8 out of 10 stars.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

God forbid someone says anything against Pease tobaccos... Whenever someone does not like Pease's tobaccos, some reviewers become defensive or attack the reviewer like the one on top of me... MY TASTES AND IMPRESSIONS ARE MINE AND SHOULD NOT BE CRITISIZED BY ANYONE! I don't critisize people that find Pease's tobaccos to be great, splendid, etc.

Original Review 2 oct 10

Sighs. This was rumored to be a substitute to Dunhill's London Mixture.

LM was rich, spicy, slightly sweet and tasty. And I miss it very much. This is tasteless, bland, impersonnal. Westminster is no replacement of LM. Pretending to be so is nothing less than an insult to Dunhill.

I will NEVER buy any GL Pease tobacco again. I might be dumb but I ain't stupid.

Nachman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nachman (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I don't often smoke American blends because they have usually been disappointing. That is why I have come so late to Westminster. I should have tried it sooner. The tin note is very Dunhillish. The flavour while not exact is similar to London Mixture. The cut is courser than DLM. This is not an exact replica of the old Dunhill standby but it has the spirit. A pleasant surprise. I am about to buy a new tobacco jar to dedicate to this most English of American blends.

82piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
82piper (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I'm almost finished with my first can of this. I opened it about 2 weeks ago and it was tinned in January '07. Very good tobacco. Not great, but very good and consistent from puff-to-puff and bowl-to-bowl. To me it's not quite as good as the Balkan Sasieni and Dunhill Durbar I smoked 10 years ago, but it comes close. I can't wait to see if future tins perform as well as this one.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (39)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Update: 10/28/09 I opened a tin of London Mixture (Orlik) last week and compared it with Westminster that has been properly jarrred. The harshness I mentioned with Wes' before would be better defined as an ashy note. When I find an appealing tobacco I can smoke it bowl after bowl, and Wes' cannot even hold a candle to LM by Orlik.

Westminster certainly has the credentials by its birth to the House of Pease. I feel great efforts were afforded it at its inception, yet this homage to London Mixture pales, as well as, individually standing by itself. No quality corners were cut in its components or construction. Whereas Odyssey's depth and sweetness I covet, Wes' appears unnecessarily dry and harsh as if some austere measure to casing and topping had been employed in its manufacture. Mind you the Raspberry Cocoa Cavendish overload isn't acceptable either, but by gum those early blenders had an innate sense when culling and curing tobaccos. My best indicator in judging a new tobacco blend is how quickly a tin lasts. Westminster is lying about my house whereas Odyssey instantly disappeared.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

I did not enjoy this at all a waste off my time and money.I may have had a bad batch.i guess i'll never no .

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

In an email from Mr. Pease about his possible substitutes he suggested that I start with Westminster. Well, I haven't much good to say about the stuff, though I had eagerly anticipated it. Westminster is long on the strong/harsh aspects and short on the rich/creamy/smoky/complex aspects. When you first light up a bowl of SMM and breath it in through your nose and swirl the smoke in your mouth, it is a true thing of wonder, fine enough to want to eat, and good enough to forego desert in lieu of a pipe every time (well, except Thanksgiving...). Not so with Westminster. This is just a ho-hum smoke, nothing that would develop anticipation for the next bowl. And certainly nothing like the magic of SMM that kept me anticipating for 3 decades...

Moisture content is slightly dry (right out of a fresh tin) and burn rate a tad fast, though neither is egregious.

This is the 4th Pease blend I have tried (Caravan, DaVinci, & Maltese Falcon being the others), none having been to my liking. In my drawer and coming up are Odyssey, Kensington, & Blackpoint. We'll see...

If you like (or would like to try) English blends without rich smokiness (and why you'd enjoy that is beyond me) perhaps you'll find something here.

I, in order to make use of this tin, will mix it 50/50 with Pirate Kake, the one being clean and a bit harsh, the other richly smoky, boring and mild. I think it will result in my being able to finish off both with good flavor!

I can easily divide this smoke into two halves. The first half of the bowl reminded me of a lighter bodied version of Pease's Caravan. Orientals ahead of the Latakia by a nose. Virginias quietly providing a balancing sweetness, but not intrusively. In the second half the Orientals and Latakia melded together and mellowed just enough for the Virginias to finally break through. Not in a big way, but just enough to change a good finish into a great finish. An easy four star blend.

Pipe Used: MM General

Similar Blends: GLP's Caravan (first half only).

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (23)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

I want to state up front that I am a fan of Greg Pease; that I like his english blends; have discussed english blending with him and how he helped bring the Drucquer and Sons english blends back to their former glory. Greg has been the blender for our NASPC yearly blends since 2000.

Although around since 2007, I didn't try this blend until this summer. I read our reviews and noted that some thought it four star quality, while others didn't feel as strongly. So, I bought a tin and popped it. Most definitely an english blend - what I classify as a "sour english" with a nice solid smokey quality. Yes, the cut was somewhat rough. However, this wasn't a problem as my method is to put some on a sheet of paper and let it sit out overnight. The next day I rub it out to a smaller consistency. From the first bowl forward it was enjoyable - moderately strong and smokey with an underlying solidity that made it an above average smoke. The only problem that I had with this blend was that each bowl became increasingly more and more peppery as I came down to the finish. I am not talking tongue bite here - but a spiceyness that showed itself consistently in every bowl. I thought: "this blend is just too dense for my tastes".

Here's how I solved it. I had previously purchased five or six tins of the Orlik-era Early Morning Pipe (why - I don't know) and they were just sitting around mocking me. So, I popped one and began to mix-down the Westminster with it. The EMP, by the way, was poorly sealed and bone dry and had to be rehydrated - terrible for a tin that, at most, was seven years old or younger. After some experimenting, I found that the magic button-pushing blend was 60 per cent Westminster and 40 per cent EMP. Try it - you'll like it.

My natural inclination is to give Greg's english blends four-star ratings, but any blend that I have to alter this much to make it a good smoke loses a star - 3 stars, but I still reccommend it.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

As another reviewer mentioned, some age does this blend wonders. I am smoking one of 3 tins purchased in 2011. The tin I initially popped 2 years ago seemed very harsh mid bowl and jumpy as if the components didn't meld.

Fast fwd 2 years, sampling 2nd tin in an Ardor bulldog used for English blends. It is very integrated. The main word that comes to mind is "creamy". It is hard to discern the components. There is plenty of dark leaf in there, but the leather and salty aspects of Latakia are in the background to my taste buds. The smokiness is mostly sensed on the nasal exhale. There is a slight sweetness on the lips. This mixture has enough body and depth, but does not overwhelm the senses. Great for the early afternoon pipe.

I find the flavor experience above is consistent from top to bottom. I consider this a good thing. Tin desc. calls this an everyday English. I agree. Nicotine impact is low. This one is a keeper and I plan to add more tins to the cellar.

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (26)

Another good blend from GLP. I wouldn't consider this outstanding, and I don't think it was meant to be. This blend to me is like mashed potatoes, and mashed potatoed when made well are very good, but they are still just mashed potatoes. It delivers what it promises. I found it to be smooth and simple. My tin was very dry, unlike review below me was too wet? Might've been a different smoke if it was more moist. Rating: Enjoyable.

Update: I smoked this out of my "magic" pipe, a 50 year old Larsen Copenhagen with a deep bowl and wide fishtail mouthpiece. I call it "magic" because it seems to bring out the best in every smoke. I really tasted the earthiness and sweetness of this tobacco. It was not nearly as simple as I thought out of my other pipe. This is a slow smoker, fast pulls can exacerbate the earthy tones towards unpleasantness. At one point it really tasted like a campfire, and the exhale reminded of me of that feeling after sipping a nice whiskey or scotch, with a warmth/spicyness. I'm sticking with 3 stars, and my rating: enjoyable.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Out of the Pease blends that I've tried so far, this seems the most balanced latakia mixture. Everything is noticeable in this blend. There is also a slight fruit hint at times, which is odd for a Pease latakia mix, at least in my experience. I would give this four stars, but then I'm always tempted to give Pease's blends four stars. I'll give it three because A) I've had better from him, and B) this one I actually found to be a little too moist out of the tin, which is unusual in my Pease experiences. But overall, this is still great, and I would probably buy again...if I didn't have so many other tins to smoke that I haven't tried yet.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This blend reminds me of an old favorite, Early Morning Pipe, but with more of a lat kick. Tasty, woodsy, and not too strong. An excellent morning blend or a late night taste with a good single malt. Classic English.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent Lat. blend. Loved it! Seemed to be musky, dense, pungent, with just a tiny hint (if even that) of sweetness. It was 'campfire' smokey, but just a tad. Wonderful mixture...look forward to another GLP blend, this was my second and I was impressed.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (72)

I'm a big GLP fan as my other reviews will attest but i'm still working on appreciating this blend.

The Bitter Lat bowls you over from the start and doesnt settle down until half way through when the orientals come out. The balance of this blend is a bit unusual and is taking time to get used to. Oh well, cant love all his blends i guess. Perhaps i'm not old and wicked enough to appreciate this blend. I'm working on it though!!

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

Smelled wonderful in the tin and did not disappoint, a very good english blend.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Complexity is what I'm after when I reach for Westminster. And that's what I get. I It hasn't hit my "remarkable" button yet. Maybe too young? It has, however, effectively peaked my curiosity towards other Pease blends, for which I have tried none. I know, shame on me.

Update: I have been working my way through my tin and this blend surely warrants an upgrade to three stars. A nice, frilly English blend.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This was one of the first English Oriental blends I ever tried. Very strong in flavor and aroma, but not in nicotine. It is very dark in color and packs and smokes easily in all different types of pipes.

The taste was quite complex, although that might be due to my inexperience with Oriental tobaccos. I could detect the Latakia and Virginias, but the other flavors would be hard to describe. There was a woodsy (like cedar), campfire type taste and the room note was the same, so it probably won't please non-smokers, unless they are the outdoor type. Overall, a great smoke and it was an excellent introduction into the world of English Oriental blends.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Like all blends from Pease, quality tobaccos and a thoughtful hand in the blending room. A very English - English blend. Medium sweet Virginias, nice light Orientals and Cyprus Latakia in spades. Flavors show that typical Pease balance.

The only problem I have is the bite, sipping the smoke helps but if you let your attention lag for five minutes your tongue may pay the price. Nice blend - I just don't want to have to be so diligent in my pipe puffing.

I'll try another tin later, sometimes my tongue seems to be more susceptible to bite than others. And since I usually don't have harshness issues with Mr. Pease's mixtures, I'll have to double check this one, and Update as needed.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Very Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I found with this one, like Odyssey, needed some airing and drying time before it hit its stride (not counting the very first smoke, a not unusual occurrence for me), giving the best smokes a few weeks after opening the tin. It is very light in the nicotine content. It also needs to be packed rather densely for best results. The flavor is initially bitter, though I'm very sensitive to bitterness (a hereditary trait, evidenced by the cream and sugar I take in my coffee). Later, however, it smooths out and is rather earthy, spicy, and pleasant. There is a kind of "dissonance" in the flavor that I absolutely love; it kind of dances on the palate and keeps it on its toes (if a palete can be said to have toes). There is also a real treat here in the sidestream. There it is smoky and sweet, with a definite earthiness and some je ne se quoi. Overall, this reminds me of a rubbed out version of Germain's latakia flake, one of my favorites. With more nicotine this would be a gold-standard for me. As it is, it is quite good. I put it in my favorites in part because I have not been overly impressed with any latakia mixtures lately.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (36)

As one who enjoys latakia in lite to moderate doses in some blends this review may not mean much. Latakia is really all I taste in Westminster, however, it's a smooth smoke. I just would like to have a little more sweet virginia to balance this blend out somewhat. I did pick up a half a dozen tins and put them in the cellar (I'll see what a few years does to it). Over-all a rich english blend of high quality.

Mr.Wilson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Wilson (3)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Westminster was actually the first thing I smoked when I got my pipe. I wouldn't recommend that for beginners by the way. When I opened it I thought "well damn. I should have saved myself some money, clomb the roof of my house, and huffed the chimney." (clomb is a word by the way ;) ) Smoking it at the time was in my mind, just as pleasant and laborious. So I put it away and proceeded to explore the world of aromatics, which was a hit and miss affair. After a while I packed another bowl of it out of boredom and was suprised to find it not as disagreable to my palate as before - in fact, I found it increasingly agreeable with each smoke. The trend has continued and now I have resolved to purchace some more when this tin runs out. So there you have it, G.L. Pease knows how to please.

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend burn very badly, but the taste is good. I try it little bite dry, but always, it burn badly, I got problem to really enjoy this blend.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (14)

A bit soapy at the beginning but about one third of the way into the bowl I found that this went away. It's a really thought provoking tobacco that asks you to savour it slowly. It's definitely worth trying.

Not sure whether it's worth four stars though, the jury is still out on that.

Update: I have spent the last two weeks smoking nothing but this. What I have noticed is that smoking it in a pipe with a deeper bowl really brings out the interplay between the Latakia, Orientals, and the Virginia. In a pipe with a shallower bowl the taste is one dimensional / muted / flat / dull.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I prefer to call this a balkan blend, instead of an english. Very well balanced, tasty and relatively smooth, it's the closest american smokers can have to my favorite Erinmore Balkan Mixture. Also much more complex and balanced than Abingdon, another GLP balkan blend.

Feetup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Feetup (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is obviously a good blend though too strong for me. I'll place into storage and see if my palate changes.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)

Westminster is another in a long line of fine blends from Greg Pease, one of this country's pre-eminent blenders of fine tobaccos. In the tin, Westminster is a melange of light and dark browns with some black cut ribbons from the Latakia. The tin aroma is pure English, with some sour notes from the Orientals and Latakia.

Westminster lights readily and burns well: the moisture content in the tin seems about right for this smoker. The taste varies between the slightly sweet notes of the VAs, the smokiness of the Latakia, and the creaminess of the Orientals. Ideally, for me at least, there could have been a little more oriental and a little less Latakia component. I used to like a lot of the dark smokey weed in my blends but have mellowed out somewhat.

Greg's blends are not the cheapest on the market but they use only the highest quality tobaccos. I also like the packaging of the new tins much more than the old ones.

Scores for Westminster? Taste- 15 of 20; lighting and burn- 8 of 10; value- 8 of 10. 31 points equals a very high * rating.

Gnarlly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gnarlly (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow, this blend is nice! I have been smoking a lot of pure Virginias lately, so I decided to pick up a can of Westminster, based on the reviews, as I wanted to add another English blend to my collection.

Upon opening the can, there is a very distinct, strong "smoked wood" scent to this tobacco. Nice mix of medium brown and dark tobaccos. Nicely cut ribbons, with no need to rub out.

Moisture content was perfect with my fresh 2 oz tin, with little pipe moisture and little need to relight. Smoked very well down to the bottom of the pipe. Probably one of the better smoking experiences I have had in awhile, with very little caretaking needed while smoking.

No bite, and yet very distinct, complex flavors last the entire smoke; more mellow and "earthy" in the bottom half of the bowl, but never becoming bland or boring. The Oriental flavors can definitely be tasted and are a little overpowering at first, but after a couple minutes, the other flavors start to balance out; you can then taste the VA and Latakia more. A very nice balance of tobaccos resulting in complex flavors.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Rich, sweet, and complex says it all. It is served up in an extra chunky mixture of dark tobaccos. I like to rub out the tobacco for the top layer of the bowl so it will light easier. I believe that the large chunks of tobacco add to the "dancing of flavors" that happens when this stuff is smoked. Just a theory. This is a very cozy and easy English mixture. Not a Latakia monster. The virginias make enough of an appearance that a virginia fanatic like myself will be pleased with their occasional focus.

FALCON Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FALCON (12)

one of the best in my rotation before will smoke this sometimes.

Felix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Felix (7)

Obviously not the new GL Pease Westminster (Jan '07). I'll submit the form to get the Pease version listed under the GL Pease section.

I bought a pouch in Switzerland a year ago. This is a good bargain, a nice tobacco at a very low price. The shag cut make it easy to pack and smoke, but pay attention not to rush it. It's a good medium English, though not exceptional, suitable for an all day smoke. Probably there's some burley into it, I detected a nutty tone, while I couldn't detect any Perique altough it's mentioned in the content. On the pouch the manufacturer name is as follows: Pipe Tobacco made in Switzerland by F.J.Burrus S.A., but also Westminster Tobacco Co.Ltd. London. Probably it's manufactured in Switzerland on licence.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)

I have only found this in Switzerland, in 40 gramme pouches and 100 gramme tins. It is a bit of a bargain as a pouch could be had for just above 4 Swiss Francs.

It is a cool smoking Balkan but with a slightly odd flavour. I would be tempted to say that there is perhaps a touch of burley in it, but cannot be sure. The shag cut makes it burn hotter than comparable mixtures and one has to be careful with the packing. Good enough if nothing else of the kind is available, but there are too many better blends available for this to be a permanent part of the rotation.

CriolloCorojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CriolloCorojo (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

update on 1/22/14 since original review on 8/27/13. I have update this one to 3 stars from my original 2. It just really needed some extra aging. I will certainly purchase again but will wait at least a year before opening and then will keep in one of my pipe tin humidors to age a little longer. I have even been able to get used to the chunky cut and what needs to be done to pack it properly. Bravo G.L. Pease, but I would suggest that you include a recommendation to age this one on the packaging. The tobacco is nowhere near as skunky and proper English flavor profile that I love has developed with time. I will leave my original review below for comparison:

I really wanted to like this blend. Alas, I find that it never jumps out at me, and I never think about it unless I see the tin. When I see the tin, I sometimes decide to pack a bowl and hope that I may like it more.

There are a few problems with this tobacco. The first is that the cut is not fun to pack. It is all chunky - and not in a good way like Hyde Park. I love latakia blends and have over a dozen in stock at any given time. My favorites range from My Mixture 965 to Commonwealth (I absolutely love SG's Westmorland Mixture but put it in a category of its own). This one would not make my top ten. The other problem that I seem to notice is that the peatiness that I normally enjoy from English blends (think great Islay Single Malt)seems to be more skunky than Bowmore-like or Laphroaig-like. This becomes more pronounced when drinking something sweet while smoking this blend. Maybe that will quell with age.I will try to age what remains in a sealed jar and see if it gets better over time.

I am currently smoking it in a pipe dedicated to latakia blends (I have more of these than any other pipe) as I write this. One time, I even tried smoking it in a Savinelli Author pipe that I had previously dedicated to Westmorland mixture to see if that would help. It did not.

Is this a bad tobacco? No! I just feel that I get a bigger bang for my buck with other latakia blends like Ashton Artisan's blend, Ashton Consummate Gentleman, Squadron Leader and several others. If you have tried this blend and really like it, then you might want to try some other latakia blends and see if it is just that you like English/latakia blends. I would still say this is better than Frog Morton or Frog Morton Across the Pond. I would really like to find a latakia blend from North America that I think can compete with Europe. If the price was lower, I would purchase a couple of tins and cellar them for a few years to see what happens (one for two years and another for three). But I just can't justify spending the money when blends like Ashton's Artisan's blend and so many others are just amazing right out of the tin. I have made my own latakia blends that have turned out better than this one. Sorry, G.L. Pease, but I must be honest. One thing can be said, and that is that it does burn rather cool and does not bite in the least bit. I may change my review after I have aged it for a while in a dark, cool corner of my basement...where I age all my wine and Belgian ales.

ThePuffingLibrarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePuffingLibrarian (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Strong

The aroma is a mixture of leather, horse sweat and extinguished fire camp. Sounds like Latakia? Well, too much Latakia in this case. It creates a strange taste of ashes mixed with soap. This being said, this tobacco as a certain balance and it burns well.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (37)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

CONFUSED! First, this is not a ribbon cut. I have some short ribbon but most of it is chucks. Some of which are 1.5 inches long and over 1/2 inch wide. Some look like cub cuts too.

Second. This blend is heavily topped with something. Nothing in the description indicates that this is an aromatic English blend but that is what it is. When I opened the tin I could see a sugary substance all over the tobacco.

Third, although I find toppings generally forgivable this is too much when looking for a straight English blend. It does complement the tobacco but more like cream in a cup of medium bodied coffee.

Taste is not too bad. The Lat. is there, the VA's and oriental's are muted because of the topping however. The base flavor reminds me of a butter milk like creaminess (think of a good traditional lemon butter milk pie with a proper butter crust). I have never tasted a straight tobacco that could provide this type of creaminess and with such over the top flavor and sweetness that I think this is the topping coming through.

I would suggest Pease add a note about whatever this is topped with. I will not finish the tin.

I will also say that this is my first experience with the Pease blends I hope that others are properly described I hate throwing out tobacco and I would hate to have to stop exploring what many consider a great American blenders tobaccos. I will give another blend of his a try before I discontinue altogether but this really does not set well with me.

2 stars because the flavor is good it would be a great way for the aromatic lover to get a first taste of Lat. for me however, the flavor of the topping is just too much to find it enjoyable enough to continue to smoke.

who me? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who me? (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This was my first sampling of the G.L. Pease line and I had high hopes for this blend based on the reviews here. The Tin aroma was smokey and pleasant and it packed well and burned reasonably well, but unfortunately I did not fully appreciate the comments made on the need of aging.

My sample indeed seemed to be tinned last Tuesday....it was very "green" and "rough around the edges" with little taste. I will been sending this to the back of my "cellar" in a mason jar labeled "Do Not Open until 2014!" and I hope to have better things to say about this blend at that time.

Even if this improves with age as some suggest, there are many better selections available that don't require lengthy aging and are ready to smoke now!

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I'm completely revising my review because I've recently smoked a few bowls that were not like what I previously smoked. Maybe I had a weak batch or something when I tried it way back when, because what I smoked in my revisit is much, much better. The Orientals and Turkish were stronger and much tasty in the recent batch a friend shared with me. The red Virginia was sweeter, too, though it's not as sweet as other RVs that I have smoked - and this is not a complaint. It works well with the darker Virginias, and helps turns this into a complex blend. The latakia adds the smoky, woodsy quality you expect it to, and does not over power the other components, but acts as a great base to amp up the flavor. I don't what the matter was with this blend when I tried it years ago (too dry?), but what I just had is really good, and it's not the first time I changed my mind on a blend. I highly recommend this.

My review is based on two tins of Westminster, a newer tin and a tin from 2009. While it can be said of most blends, I especially don't fare well with many of the Pease blends until they have had enough time (at least a year) in the tin. Unlike many of Greg's blends, I didn't find a measurable improvement in the aged tin of Westminster. The tin note is smoky, but I can definitely get a good whiff of the Orientals too. I am not sure where the comparison comes in regarding Dunhill's London Mixture and I find almost no similarities to the Murray's or Orlik version of LB. It isn't important anyway. The cut makes for easy packing and the moisture content is nearly perfect for smoking right out of the tin with no dry time. There is a fair amount of complexity with Westminster and the flavors build nicely throughout the bowl. The Orientals are the highlight for me.

The issue I have with Westminster is that it is too “rough around the edges” for me. It lacks creaminess and it would benefit from a little more sweetness from the Virginias. I seldom get bit by pipe tobacco and I didn't get bit by Westminster….but it isn't smooth either. I can see how it would bite if not attended to properly. The aged tin offers a little softening of the Latakia, but again, not huge. All in all, its “OK,” but there are just too many English blends that I enjoy more. If you are a big fan, as many are, of Pease blends I think that Westminster will be to your liking. Two and a half stars.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (81)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

My tin is eleven months old. The Latakia dominates the first half of the bowl, then the Orientals begin to flower. But Mr. Pease is too heavy-handed with the smoky Cyprus stuff. And it burns very hot.

Some Virginia lovers would call this a Latakia bomb. Compared to other English blends, it is bland and somewhat flat, really of interest only to Latakiaphiles. May not really deserve a second star, but I must acknowledge that it is OK for its style...

Update, 4 May 2012: given additional time to age, and smoked a little more dry, the Latakia is not quite as overwhelming, and the Orientals are more prominent. Goes well with a Scotch Ale. A solid two stars; I can see how some would acquire a taste for it...

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I agree with the prior reviewer. I found absolutely nothing admirable about this blend. Tin aroma is of mostly a smoky Latakia presence. I let the tin air out ocassionally for a year and stored it in a zip-lock, freezer bag. It was a good moisture content for smoking. Upon first light, I received a bitter, rather harsh invasion upon my palate. I persevered however, determined to finish the entire bowl in order to give a definitive, objective review.

Flavor/taste was one dimensional after the initial bitterness & harshness subsided. The smoke becomes more tolerable & milder but carries with it little flavor other than a Latakia presence. I was disapointed that this stuff really didn't deliver the palate pleaser that I was anticipating...but that's just me. Many seem to like it rather well.

I was waiting in anticipation for developing flavor but nothing really noteworthy ever transpired. It certainly wasn't to my liking and didn't agree with my palate. My obversation noted a bitterness & slight harshness. My first bowl was also my last.

For those who enjoy this stuff, fine...it is definitely not for everyone & especially me. If you are looking for a blend that offers litte more than a Latakia flavored tobacco taste, here you go. This GLP offering prompted me to ponder...should I try another GLP Eng/Balkan mixture? Maybe.

Just an average blend IMHO, of course...probably due to a conflict with my palate chemistry, as it were. Sampled in a size 2 Stanwell.

ofelia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ofelia (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is one of the tobaccos that I found to be better rated on this web page so I made the incredible mistake of ordering 3 tins!! yes,you might call it elegant,I call it dull.It is like smoking a cigar,actually. I smoke pipe for it´s sweetness,the smell and taste and this has none of this. There might be some people that like plain tobaccos,then this might be for you. Myself, I was left with an earthy taste in the mouth that still dosen´t go away.Dry is the word that comes to mind,but then,some people like their martinis without any vermouth too.

grayhackel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grayhackel (1)

I love English blends and this is a good one. On taste alone, I would give 3-4 stars. Unfortunately, after two tins of Westminster, I have a problem with bite. It starts out with a mild bite but gets worse as you move through the bowl. Kind of like a good pepper. Even when I concentrate on smoking extremely slowly, it bites. In all 11 pipes I've tried it in, it bites. Other English blends don't do this to me, but it may just be body chemistry. If you like English blends, try this one. Its just not for me.

RxMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RxMan (17)

If you read the description, that's exactly what you get. Smooth taste and cool burning, when concentrating tasting a meshing of flavors that are satisfying. The drawback is that this is not a unique English, meaning it's similar to too many others to make it unique. The sample was received too dry for my liking, but burned nicely after char and second light. Maybe after several bowls I will put this as a regular, but this is certainly worth a try.

Fernalgas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fernalgas (8)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I want to like this tobacco a lot...but so far it is good but not great...I've smoked it a couple of times and so far its been pretty consistent through out a Boswell Apple, a Peterson system 314, and a Mastro de Paja Oom Paul. The taste is quite smoky with a side of BBQ sauce. The smell of it in the tin is quite the same. It is easy to smoke...only one lighting to smoke it is needed...cool and tasty...I wish it was the best the tobacco I have ever smoked but it is not so...maybe along my tin I will get to that point but I am not there yet..

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm 2/3 done with my first Westminster tin and it took up until now to finally enjoy it somewhat. I'm growing fond of it slowly but surely. It seems to go well with coffee.(because otherwise I have no taste in my mouth, other than a faint smokiness) I suppose having smoked flavorful tobacco's such as Frog Morton O.T.P and StoneHaven, my taste expectations were probably to high. Having read that this blend apparently is sold too "young", I'll have to age it in hopes of some improvement. Room note is nice though!

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

I do like english and balkan blends very much. Are they my everyday smoke?....No. I don't smoke anything everyday. Mind you there are things that I could, but I have the pleasure and privilage of variety.

That said, I must say that if I were to smoke an english all day, this would not be it. At least not a tin under 3 years of age. Which are all that I have had.

The quality is very high. But the emphasis on too much Latakia is disconcerting in the younger tin. I will age a pound of this for at least 5 years before trying again. Hopefully that time will smooth out the Lat and increase the Va to a level to it's equal. It would be perfect then. The orientals are superb, but muscled by the Lat.

After proper drying, this i at most a three star blend for me. Maybe the fourth will appear in about 3 years.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

A very good blend just not 4 stars for my taste.

Update after smoking this in my morta pipe I have to bump this up to 4 stars

22 May 2009 Update:

I finished off my tin of Westminster & I'm tightening up on my ratings and only give 4 stars to my top 5 blends that are in my core rotation of tobaccos. Those at this date are Escudo, Penzance, University Flake, Churchill & still deciding what the 5th will be.

I now rate this as a very solid 3.5

ChappistMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChappistMonk (7)

Top quality everyday English blend. Latakia and Orientals both evident but never overwhelming. Burns beautifully.

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)

Westminster is a good English style tobacco. Good burning qualities and no bite. I prefer Odyssey over Westminister though as far as GLP blends. Westminster is a good smoke though.

Oouder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oouder (11)

Update:

So I really have learned to love this blend on it's own. The more I get involved online the more and more I tend to sway away from aromatics and more into blends like these. I think that this stuff is a wonderfull smoke and if you ask me in many years this will be touted as the best english of it's time. very good flavor, well balanced and it provides a cool smoke if you don't puff to hard. I like this more and more as I smoke it. I bet this stuff will be great down the road.

Original Review:

Good stuff. Sometimes I mix in some aromatic the blend takes it well. Burns cool and easy. Easy to puff a bit too much but that is alright because it does not bite a whole lot. I'm usually a virginia flake smoker but I do keep a jar of this around.

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (10)

After reading all these rave reviews I was a little disappointed by this tobacco. It's good and well rounded but it seems to be lacking a little kick! A reviewer below had difficulty in desribing the aroma - he referred to it as a 'musty' smell while someone else referred to it as 'goat' however I think the aroma smells more like a freshly opened can of tennis balls! One of those definitely unique aromas.

It's good but this little tin I bought will probably last me a while.

endubito Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
endubito (13)

So many informative, positive reviews have been made of this blend that there is nothing for me to add, save this: Bloody brilliant.

I give it 3 stars only because I reserve the 4th for that tobacco I haven't found yet.

AKSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AKSmoke (18)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Really a very nice English blend that should be in every collection. There is an odd, musty quality I find difficult to define or classify (other than odd and musty), but I don't really mean this in a bad way. Westminster has better burning qualities than some GLP blends, burning to fine ash. I have several cans in the cellar, and I look forward to trying this in the future.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Nice virginia sweetness combined with a decent wallop of Cyprian latakia and a dark "goatiness" from the orientals. The room note is raunchy, but not exactly bad. Westminster is good, but it lacks a certain idiosyncratic character, like the Dunhill astringency or the Penzance mustiness, that would make it truly memorable. Maybe this will come through down the road in a well-aged tin. At that point, I hope to be able to upgrade my review, but I don't give 4 stars lightly.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

Really fine English-style blend good for every occasion.

GarageLocked Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GarageLocked (8)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

A very good tobacco, at one point my favorite, rich smoke with great flavor. I give three stars becuase on multiple ocassions it attacked my tounge with extreme prejudice.

Let it be known that the pipe I was using on the last tin was brand new. Hopefully, when I try this blend again, my appreciation will increase.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)

Westminister seems to have a great following and I am just getting on board. My 3 month old tin was a bit moist upon opening but, a little drying cured that. The presentation was different from other GLP blends but one notices the good quality of the leaf. On takeoff abit unstable but, soon starts to smooth out. Rougher than normal landing completes this test flight and you soon realize that with some aging, this will become a classic!

sounds7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sounds7 (16)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

My God this is good stuff.

This one has overtones of a tangy sweetness. A fruitiness but not one from flavorings mind you, but one of a balance of natural tobaccos intermingling between the outstanding orientals , bright and red Virginias. The Latakia is also there but doesn't overwhelm the the blend. I also find it pretty forgiving and had no trace of bite from smoking it a little faster than I probably should have been due to my excitement. 3 out of 4 stars. By far the best Pease blend I have tried.

Update: I set an opened can of this aside for a couple years and it has dried out somewhat but not too dry. It has gained a more uniform and even flavor between the components which to me tastes buttery, leathery and fruity all at the same time. It stays lit much better with some age on it.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good, classic English Mixture, very Latakia-oriented. A true balkan, deep, tasty, it would be one of the best tobaccos around if a foul burning didn't ruin an otherwise pleasant experience.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Possibly the finest English/Oriental blend I?ve ever tried, but unfortunately, like most Peases, it?s more bother than it?s worth. For one thing, good luck keeping it lit. Once you do, though, you will enjoy a powerful but reserved full tobacco experience girded by rich latakia and deep Orientals. This is the most enjoyable Pease blend I?ve tried so far, but like everything he makes, the description is always more inviting than the actual smoking experience. Pease is a great writer and marketer, but when all is said and done, it?s high falutin C & D without the southern charm. This is how I remember Dunhill to be before they went EU. A fine blend, though in this vein I prefer C & D?s less aggressive, equally flavorful Yale Mixture.

Three and a half of five stars

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not bad, but there are English blends I find much more enjoyable. As an example, I find Old Dublin to be a much more interesting and enjoyable smoke. I tend to think of Westminster as 'flat' (although I'm not sure any Latakia based mixture could be flat).

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (47)

Westminster has a nice, smokey aroma in the jar but I find it 'rough around the edges' in the pipe as another reviewer has said. It lacks the finesse and nuance that I find in some other blends of these same three tobaccos such as Three Oaks Syrian. Westminster leaves me with a hot, ashy impression. I thought it might smooth out with some age, but after 18+ months in the cellar it has not changed. Only somewhat recommended.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Updated Final : 12/14/11 : I've gone back and forth on this tobacco, different pipes , different times of day, different tin aging and the final results are as follows; BLAH ! This tobacco is middle of the road, medium light in all categories; "N", flavor , latakia , Oriental, Virginia, packing, spice. It's not terrible, but why bother. 2 stars And I agree with reviewer above, "DARTH VADER",11/19/11, there is a bitterness and a slight vanilla background ( deertongue ?), I will not buy again.

Original reviews:

A nice tobacco, but not a great tobacco. The Orientals play a significant roll along with the latakia. The Virginia adds some sweetness but IMO it adds to much spicy heat. I think there may even be a touch of clove and vanilla. I'm trying to find some reason I would need to add this to my rotation and I can't. I'll finish the tin and won't buy more not because it's bad , it's just not great.

Updated 10/19/11- Wow, What 7 months of cellaring will due.Spicy heat is calmed, orientals play , Smokie . I really should give GLP Blends at least 6 months before evaluating. I have to bump this up to 2 1/2 stars . This reminds me of a heavier Balkin Sasieni ( I like Meridian, Blackpoint and Odyssey better), the flavors are somewhat muted from a cob. Again, good but not great.11/3/11, just finishing the tin, the final smoke was best seems like the dryer this got and the more it breathed the better it got.

BriarBurner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBurner (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I do not know what all the hubbub is all about this blend. It is a good english blend that is blended with a strong latakia note. I have tried quite a few times to see if there was any chance my taste buds were having a senior moment but no luck. If I have learned anything from pipe smoking after 45 years it is that tastes are subjective.So,go smoke a bowl of your favorite tobac and enjoy!!

euphoniumeister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
euphoniumeister (2)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After trying this tobacco several times in a few pipes, I've finally had to write a review. Unfortunately, it won't be with as much enthusiasm as most. Don't get me wrong, this is good for what it is, but for me it lacks complexity and flavor. I have trouble keeping this lit, and it smokes wet, both of which are distract from what flavor there is here. This is an ok tobacco, and I'm cellaring some to see how it responds to age, but otherwise it won't ever be a real favorite. I'm sure I'll keep some around, but for me, this is nothing compared to the complexity I get from Maltese Falcon. Like I said, this is good, but I wonder how it can get a rating of four stars and how some people can view it as the best latakia blend out there. It just doesn't to it for me. I really wanted to love this blend, but it only gets 2 stars from me.

Tudval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tudval (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This blend seems a bit short on flavor. Perhaps some of its subtleties are lost on me, as I prefer a bit more kick, such as can be found in Penzance or EMP. It's fine tobacco though, but there are some drawbacks. It can be difficult to keep lit, perhaps because it's quite moist right out of the tin. Also think it 'provides' slightly more tongue bite than other similar tobaccos. Overall, something that I may want to smoke occasionally, but not a mainstay for me.

Very Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

OK this is a good English blend but I really don?t see what all this hype about it, it is nicely balanced with high nicotine kick, but also there is a lot of other good English blends in the market today.

Seriously, this blend is nothing if compared to the legendary SG Squadron Leader (if there is any comparison?), and for twice the price I don?t see why should I buy this "MADE IN USA" English blend, as long as I can buy the original, the TRUE English-Lakeland made blend Squadron Leader from SG MADE IS U.K. THE MOTHERLAND!

When I buys red wine, I prefer the wine from France, and when I buys English blend I also prefer when it is from England.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

It's a decent English blend. However, there are blends as good or better available in bulk that are a lot more cost effective.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Update: I have to downrating it: too much difficoult to kip it lit. Seriously ! And a little tongue bit smoking it all the day. Rought. ------------------------------------- Like every Pease tobacco's, this is a high quality one. But, at the end..... it's unsmokable: raw, crude,inelegant, boorish. And Pease is a sort of illiterate blender. This cook uses quality and tastefull ingredients, but definitly he's inapt to assemble and amalgamate the ingredients. The result is......raw. Sorry Pease, you are discharged. You can smoke a Pease's blend a time a week.....and is very good. You smoke a Pease's blend two time a week.....and is goog. You smoke a Pease's blend a time in a day.....and is unpleasant. you smoke a Pease's blend all the day....and is nauseating. So.....if you are looking for an occasional good tobacco: try it. But if you are looking for a trusty partner....just flee from Pease!!!!

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Briarpatch wrote:

>>> Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based. In an email from Mr. Pease about his possible substitutes he suggested that I start with Westminster. Well, I haven't much good to say about the stuff, though I had eagerly anticipated it. Westminster is long on the strong/harsh aspects and short on the rich/creamy/smoky/complex aspects. <

>>> Description: BLEND 805 Blend 805 was the absolute standard, the hallmark blend - in the same range as Dunhill 965 and Dunhill Standard Mixture, various Rattrays blends, and a multitude of now long gone blends and compounds from legendary English and Scottish houses. <<<<<

description of Blend 805 reminded me on Westminster - was it Friedman&Pease or older ? but i am sure it was not english - it was US made

the Westminster Tobacco:

Named after the Westminster Community Schools in Vermont

The tobacco comes in a peanut jar with 2 oz.

Smell: forest, ham, spices

Taste: Lots of Latakia - then times this times this, quite unbalanced.

To make it positive to say, not the herb to get it to smoke by the way. The Virginia is too underpowered. Nicotine medium strong - Is clearly the Latikia although smokes sweet, but has little nicotine.

Notes: Tabak: 2,5 stars

as to be a London Mixture failed : 1,5 stars

edit:

Just to say, never heard from Blend 805 untill this week. Maybe because the lack of internet LOL

Similar Blends: Sutliff Tobacco Company - Westminster, Westminster Standard (Schweiz).