Full bodied, flavorful Cyprian latakia and Kentucky tobaccos were combined with black cavendish and then pressed to flake.

BrandRobert McConnell
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia
Strength
Taste

2.9
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Unique is the best way to describe this flake. Nice floral, almost perfume-like, notes. Latakia nicely balanced with the Kentucky giving deep flavors of smoke, wood and earth. There is an underlying sweetness that I assume is coming from the cased Black Cav. That's probably where the floral notes are coming from as well. The flavors are strong and rich, the smoke medium to full bodied. An outstanding, very well put together smoke. Simply delicious.

Pipe Used: MM Freehand, MM General

One of the strongest Latakia blends I've tried. Nicotine addicts with a penchant for Latakia will eat this one up.

The flakes are mostly dry yet pliable and jet black in appearance. A moderate to full rub worked best for me. I particularly enjoyed the smoothness mixed in with the strength. Tough to compare, but were I to take a stab at it, I'd say McConnell's Latakia Flake is very similar to the old Smoker's Haven Pirate Kake with a little more muscle.

Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

How could I resist anything called something like "Latakia Flake?" So of course I got myself a tin as soon as I could lay hands on one.

I checked out KK&Co's web site before opening the tin; they claim this blend is not flavoured. Opening the tin, it turns out that it is; there is a very distinct sauce applied here; similar to the classic Lakeland Floral, but kept in check by the BC included here. The slices, as has been said before, crumble at so much as a sharp look. The Latakia is there, but very gently, and I can also make out the KY.

I get my best results with this blend after fully rubbing out enough for a pipe; no drying time necessary for me. The taste is pretty sweet, with toast and oomph provided by the Lat and KY components; the BC provides lots of sweetness and variety. The room note is a somewhat mixed affair, but is certainly helped by the sauce, which also gives the smoke a fresh taste and aftertaste, the latter of which lingers on for a while.

I find I do have to re-light a few times, but in the end there is nothing but ashes in my bowl, so that is OK for me. The taste deepens a little throughout the smoke; the sauce stays on right until the end, and while manufacturer Kohlhase, Kopp & Co. rate this as a very strong 'baccy, it is in my experience nowhere near, say, Peterson's Irish Flake, which they rate at the same strength.

All in all, I find Latakia Flake a satisfying smoke in the afternoon; it will never be an all-day affair for me though. My favourite tipple to go along with this blend is a good Irish Single Malt.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Zebrano

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: HoS, Lingen, Germany

pipesofpeace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesofpeace (9)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a classy, fantastic and completely different blend and can't compare to any other latakia/ oriental/english blend i have tried before. LF is a dark flake with intense aroma and a light floral scent to it, but not overwhelming at all.

These flakes come to be smoked right out of the tin. You can fold it and pack or rub out easily. It takes a while to get lit but once it takes the fire keeps going easily and with a few relights. The flavor is just fantastic, and as i said before, nothing to compare with. Smoky and woodsy, but sweet and floral at the same time, makes this baccy and awesome Smoke that is, IMO, not and all-day tobacco. I would recommend it as you last Smoke of the day and away of The wife. Very satisfiying, complex and uníque tobacco. Highly recommended!!

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Savinelli Standing 413,

Purchased From: Sybarite Pipes, Barcelona, Spain

Similar Blends: No one i've tried before!.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Upon opening the tin, I get the same smell as Irish Flake but with some Latakia. The meaty flakes are dark, almost black, with some sugar deposits. Lighting the flake without drying is difficult and requires several relights for the entire bowl.

The Kentucky and Latakia produce a lot of smoke and the taste is accordingly stronger than it is flavorful.I get Kentucky and also a burnt onion taste that reminds me of Samuel Gawith Black XX Twist. There is no sweetness just some toasty undertones, as for Latakia, it gets swallowed by the Kentucky.

Overall a tobacco for experienced pipe smokers, an evening or after dinner smoke. I have to say that the name is a misnomer as I was expecting a Latakia flake bomb and I got a Kentucky flake instead.

Not bad on its own merits but I start to think that the Robert McConnnell tobaccos are only pale attempts to attain a former glory.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant

The name of this blend is confusing as it hardly tastes of Latakia at all, it tastes like a very old school British Flake. I find that it is extremely similar to GH&Co’s Revor Plug and both have a wonderful mysterious, subtle top dressing that I really can’t put my finger on but it’s magical. This is strong in nicotine but the smoke is so smooth and tasty it might sneak up on you. I prefer to smoke it in the cooler months and around October of every year I’ve come to get very excited to bring this one back in my rotation. The flakes come at the optimal moisture level, they are ready to crumble up and load in the pipe right when you pop the tin. I prefer to smoke this in a smaller chamber, something like a squat bulldog is perfect, in larger bowls this stuff can get a tad bitter the further you get down the bowl. This is an absolutely hidden gem within the McConnell line up and by far my favorite. This provides an amazing smoking experience in every level.

Essential!

Pipe Used: Rattray's Bull & Dogs, Stanwell.

Similar Blends: REVOR PLUG!!.

CharatansMake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CharatansMake (18)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I think this is a surprising, interesting and quite unique Latakia tobacco.

Before I got in touch with Perique I loved Latakia and now for a few years I tend to smoke Latakia just from time to time. The thrill is somewhat over and Perique is my new queen!

But this Latakia flake is quite different. Latakia is not the chief here, just a attendant that supports and enriches the nice and well balanced floral taste. For sure it is not a real/full aromatic but a natural tobacco with a delicate floral note and a decent smokiness. It has some creaminess, a satisfying nic content and a nice strength.

Try it!

3.5 stars!

Pipe Used: Charatan Special 4651x

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

The casing on this tobacco is the same as on Revor Plug. For those who aren't familiar with that tobacco, it is a dark, strong VA/B plug available only in the UK. The casing also resembles that used in Bracken Flake. Here the casing is not that prominent but plays in the background.

The strength of this tobacco is also approaching that of Revor Plug and other dark, scented British flakes (but again the scenting here is not as profound as in most Lakelands). What is interesting is that this contains Syrian Latakia in no small amount and it isn't a Lakeland.

So what do we have ? A strong, dark almost black (crumbly but not a crumble-kake) flake with a Lakeland like topping and a generous amount of Syrian Latakia.

What this is NOT is a typical English blend, in the sense that people who enjoy, say, medium English blends with Oriental tobaccos and red Virginias will like. It is somewhat similar to the another (rum) scented Latakia flake (whose name escapes me at the moment, maybe something by S. Gawith) which I've had, but this product has more strength (vit N).

The Latakia makes itself known in the wine-like, smoky way which Syrian Latakia works, but the Latakia takes a back seat to the Kentucky and I suppose also the black Cavendish (which must be VA Cavendish) which provide a good amount of power. Not as much as GH dark flake, or 1792, but very significant vit. N content.

Although I haven't tried it, I doubt this likes a large bowled pipe. The flakes are very dense and crumbly and it would be difficult to fill and smoke a big bowl (also it would be foolhardy).

Full of old-fashioned full bodied goodness, only those who like the dark, strong stuff should try this. Beginners, Latakiaphobes and nico-weenies stay far away.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Extra Strong

This is a strange one. Dark black flakes that crumble almost from a soft breath and a tin aroma that is not enticing. The crumble makes for an easy load and it burned perfectly.

The taste was odd. I'm guessing the latakia was of the Syrian variety, as it was more sour and wine-like in taste. Too sweet as well, possibly from an overabundance of cavendish (to my palate) or perhaps a casing gone awry. Whatever it was, it managed to beat the Kentucky down more than I could ever imagine. The nicotine was abusive and I had to smoke this in smaller bowls than I prefer. The whole concoction just tasted bizarre - a mixture of too sweet and almost soil-like. I only smoked about half the tin as it was, and mixed the rest with Cyprian latakia, while rubbing out the rest of the tin to make it consistent in cut. Only in this manner did it approach something I enjoyed. Where this one gets high marks is for originality. I've never smoked anything quite like it. If you enjoy a lot of nicotine and a sweetness that is enmeshed with the earthiness of Kentucky leaf, this is definitely one to take for a spin.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

It comes in an elegant tin and flakes are in good condition which allow fine crumbling. Strong as a hammer, however quite tasteless and it smells strange. When it dried, it was a little bit better. Usually I prefer Latakia but not this one... its flat and soapy taste drives me crazy.

My rate: 0.5

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A full flake composed of stoved bright (I imagine because of zest) Virginias and Latakia. Best fully rubbed

No detailed description given but I suspect this is a species of Syrian, as it is potent but not as smoky as Cyprian.

Cool and smooth but with a nico hit. Overall on the strong side due to the dark flavor.

Fairly unique due to the slight zesty to leathery flavor curve, but mostly uniform taste.

Not as complex as Germain's but still full enough.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Strong

Robert McConnell - Latakia Flake.

The flakes looked as though they were beginning to break when I opened it, and they're quite fragile; because they've stuck together they need peeling apart, this causes them to crumble imminently. My tin was only a little too moist, nothing to get in a stress about. The flakes are jet black in colour.

The fiery Kentucky goes hand in hand with the smoky Latakia, forming the leading taste, hence the eponymous name! But, to my palate this flavour doesn't completely dominate the profile: although the Lat/Kent are easily the most formidable of the group, the black Cavendish softens and sweetens it, and also gives a vanilla-esc thickness. I get no tongue bite and the burn from L.F. couldn't be any better: steady, cool, fairly slow, leaving a clean white ash.

The nicotine's above medium, and the room-note's heavy.

Latakia Flake? I'll happily highly recommend it!

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Friday Pipe

Age When Smoked: Four months

adam543 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adam543 (5)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

When I first tried this blend I was quite disappointed. Upon opening the tin, flakes were very wet and they needed a lot of drying time. Flavor? NO Latakia flavor at all. Either my tin has wrongly packed tobacco or the name is very misleading. From this point of view it should get one star as it is NOT Latakia flake.

What is it then? It is a very nice Black Cavendish/Kentucky blend. First half of the bowl is sweet from Black Cavendish with occasional floral notes. The second half of the bowl is less sweet with very nice Kentucky/Burley flavor. It smokes smooth and it leaves nice aftertaste. Maybe it isn't every day smoke but if you need something more robust, this one is for you. Because the quality of the blend is much more important than it's name, finally I give it four stars.

plugnsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plugnsmoke (6)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

This tin was beautiful outside and in. When opened your greated with a nice gold foil seal and pencil like sketch of a leaf. The tin note wasof Latakia but the dark fire really cuts through and in the bowl was a great treat on the pallet. I left it out over night and it dried more than I would have liked and thought I had ruined it. This wasn't the case as it burned and lit extremely well. I really expected a stronger nic hit from the df, especially towards the bottom but it wasn't there. I'd say its satisfying for most but I look for that green feeling when I'm dealing with a dark fire Kentucky. It was nice to try and the tin is beautiful but I won't reorder so the hunt for the lat flake of a lifetime continues. Paul

Pipe Used: olive blowfish

Age When Smoked: 2yrs

Purchased From: local shop

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Latakia Flakes are not exactly common, so I was quite excited when this one appeared on the market. In fact I bought a tin the second it appeared on my favorite purveyor's website. It is most certainly of high quality with a beautiful jet black appearance and inviting tin aroma. The nicotine level in this is a bit high so proceed with caution. You must definitely smoke it slowly.

Overall I found it somewhat one dimensional but worth trying. I probably will not buy it again, but I still have some left and will revisit it.

UPDATE: 2-4-14: I realized I never updated my thoughts on this blend. It proved to be overwhelmeing in nicotine and just not pleasant. I have removed a star.

Gaius Baltar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gaius Baltar (25)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

When you open the tin you see a jet black flake with a smell of wet clay, smoke and a subtle smell that reminds me of lavender. A little wet that requires about 15 minutes of drying. Once you start smoking, it does not require extra lighting. The flavor is the same as the tin, a deep and earthy smoke with that touch of lavender that lasts until the end. I have used a "HOT GRILL" on the pipe that creates an expansion chamber and improves the release of flavors. Finish with a fine white ash. It is a highly recommended flake.

Pipe Used: Rotation briar

Purchased From: Tobacco shop from Barcelona

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (72)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Strong

I don´t see any mistery in this blend.It´s just burley flake,as Peterson Irish Flake,and cyprian Latakia.Also I feel the same casing of Irish Flake,or perhaps is the natural scent of well matured burley.I wouldn´t bet my head in it.For me is a curiosity,not cheap by the way,it´s not an absolute waste but I won´t repeat.Very high moist,crumbling to small portions when rubbed.Not a disgusting smoke on the beach in a cob,but no more indeed.I rate 1 star,not recommended,because the casing and the price.

Pipe Used: cobs

Purchased From: local tobacconist in Spain

Similar Blends: Peterson Irish Flake with Lat..

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)
Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another of my favorites. I smoke this on weekends and nights that I go out. It is a strong tobacco That just hits the spot. Great to rub and drop into the bowl. Lights very quickly and burns like a hot coal. Seldom have to relight. Tamper well, smoke slow and this will take care of you to the end. This was a Hugh hit in my pipe club.

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Peterson, Savinelli, Comoy

Age When Smoked: bulk in jars 1 to 2 years.

Purchased From: Mannheim Germany

a puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
a puffer (1)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

A strong tobacco, with a heavy latakia flavour. That is not bad but the balance of the mix takes away from it. I must admit I am not a fan of KY tobacco which others state are part of this mixture. I find it smokes better after it dries a bit and doesn't need more than a relight or two. Overall I am having a tough time finishing the tin.

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

hiatus67 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hiatus67 (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Very nice blend for tasting the Syrian Latakia. It is not very easy to smoke all day and it is a bit uni dimensional, but for a first and second bowl it provides a very pleasant smoking experience. With it I've tried my first custom blend, mixing 1:1 with No.2 Virginia Mixture from Astley's, a VA/Per. The result was awesome and this was the beginning for me to blending my own mixtures, now I play with blending tobaccos and I smoke mainly my owns

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Very nice Virginia/Latakia, well balanced, with Latakia in the lead role and sweet Virginias to complement. Similar to SG Commonwealth, they both share a lack of depth compared to traditional English mixtures, but they deliver for the Latakia craving smokers and those not too fond on Orientals.

butter_side_down Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butter_side_down (12)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

This tastes to me almost exactly like Peterson's Irish Flake, but with a healthy dose of Latakia added. In theory, I should like this blend. I enjoy Irish Flake. I enjoy Latakia. But, apparently, I don't enjoy them together. I did not find the flavors to be complimentary here. Instead, they seemed to wrestle for dominance with neither ever really getting the upper hand. I can see how this could appeal to someone, but it just isn't for me.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

A very hearty blend, rich in nicotine, that should be smoked slowly, patiently and, above all, with respect or one is forced to lay down both pipe and body until the vertigo passes. Latakia Flake's strength is not apparent until one has smoked about a third of the bowl. After that, when the strength of this tobacco reaches its apex, it might make one think of Penzance wearing brass knuckles. I would recommend a small to medium size bowl (or a nice, long churchwarden) to "safely" enjoy this tobacco and dodge those upper cuts to the chin. Don't misunderstand me: this is a fine blend, and I am quite surprised that it seems to have escaped notice amongst pipe smokers.