The same blend of tobaccos as our long favorite Blend #255, only a slight bit less aromatic. Almost a true White Burley - natural taste yet ever so slightly aromatic for grand aroma. You'll like it even if you're a non-aromatic smoker.

Notes: Savory and leafy with a hint of sweetness, the subtle note of licorice in this blend sits lightly on the palette. Ingredients: Cube-cut burley and licorice Cavendish

BrandUhle's
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
3.4

Not nearly as impressive as Uhle's other burleys that I've smoked (still can't get Blend 00!). The flavoring was decidedly licorice, which sometimes causes problems for me and sometimes not. In this case, it was an antiseptic flavor - very unnatural. Straight burleys often have a slight soapy flavor, and the licorice casing clashed early and often with the soap.

I'm wondering if the casing was applied too conservatively for my personal taste in this one and it makes me wonder if Blend 255 might work better for me. It's worth a shot. This one would likely be a favorite of some due to its subtle flavoring but I found that it disagreed with me. On the other hand, the blend itself was no bully. It packed easily and burned nicely, just as the other Uhle's burleys do. Perhaps others won't be as annoyed as I became with the flavor.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Well, I will reiterate that this does have a bit of a floral essence, possibly licorice but it comes off as floral in the bowl. It's really what some people refer to as "soapy" in the English sense like in many of the Gawith Hoggarth tobaccos. This soapiness is not as pronounced as it is in some of those blends, and it is fairly well balanced in my opinion. Some people may not be able to tolerate it. I like it well enough. It's not my favorite tobacco, but there's nothing wrong with it, in my opinion. The tobacco itself is great as usual in Uhle's blends, the cut is excellent, etc. I just much prefer Perfection Plug, which is my favorite tobacco right now.

bird dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bird dog (2)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you like quality burley based tobacco, that isn't overpowerd with casing, but balanced ....you'll like Uhles' blends. I got a sampler pack and this so far is my favorite. The casing is floral to my tastebuds, like 255, but less, just as described. I prefer the cut., doesn't take as much work keeping it going as pure cube cut base like 255, but that's a minor point...if you are looking for good quality burley based blends, check these out. I'm looking forward to trying some of the other aromatics...hunt club (chocolate), par shooter (vanilla), etc.

This is indeed very similar to No. 255. If you tried that blend and thought the casing too heavy handed, you might like this better.

It is very pleasant, and burns nice and dry. If you don't like the licorice flavor of 255, then you probably won't care for this either. I find it a refreshing change of pace.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)

I have been smoking Uhle's blends on an off for about 30 years. I am glad to see the attention their blends are getting on these reviews. Uhle's is one of the last of it's kind tobacco shop, in business since 1938, and still blending their own blends. I think they have some of the best burley aromatics around!

Crushed White Burley has been my favorite Uhle's blend. This is a lighter version of their #255 blend, which is there oldest blend. Like other reviews have stated about #255, it is flavor with licorice, with hints of maple. And yes, it does kind of smell like Mixture 79, but that's where the simularity ends. This is what a good flavor burley should smoke like; cool, dry, no bite, just the smooth creamy taste of good burley.

So, if your looking to try a light aromatic burley blend, look no further the Uhle's. There service is friendly and fast. Living in the Chicago area, I have been to their shop many times and it's worth the stop in you are ever in Milwaukee, WI area. They included a pouch of their 2006 Christmas Blend with my order which is also excellent, with the flavor of eggnog.

Highly Recommended