A tribute to Irish tobacco blending tradition by Dan Tobacco -
Germany. A mixture of Virginia and oriental tobaccos with a hint
of Perique.

BrandTreasures of Ireland
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Perique
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
None Detected, Very Mild, Mild
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, so I like what Dan Tobacco do with VA and Perique (and recently, more and more, Orientals). So I ordered a tin and am about to finish it with one last pipeful as I am typing.

My first impression on opening the tin was, well, VA. Broad cut leaf, golden colour, slight citrus note out of the tin. The cut lends itself to the wider bowls. As with all VAs, smoke slowly to enjoy properly. The taste is sweet as expected from a VA, with the Perique noticeably giving the blend more body. The Orientals I can't really make out, but they may well be in there.

The room note is as would be expected -- typical VA. Killarney burns quietly and slowly (if not overpuffed), with little variety throughout the bowl. I am reminded more than a little of a non-flake variety of ToI Limerick, by the way.

Overall, a good blend for the VA lover.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (82)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Update I don't remember this tobacco so I can't update the review too much, now that I have experienced many more blends and know what I like and what I don't. I do remember that this tobacco didn't do too much for me, but I imagine, if I found this tobacco again, I might have a different reaction to it. If I come by it again I will re-sample and re-review. For now, it wasn't a tobacco that stood out....I'll leave it for now at 2 two stars.

Previous Review This tobacco was ok. It had a sweet but earthy odor to it. It was decent to smoke but wasn't anything to write home about. Not really much tongue bite to note. It wasn't extremely flavorful though and seems like a tobacco I'll go to when I have nothing else to smoke.

Too many other tobaccos out there that are much more interesting.

Pipe Used: Bent Billard

Age When Smoked: New from store - 1-3 months

Purchased From: Jeanie's Smoke Shop

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (160)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

UPDATE JAN30/2009:

this is going to be one of my go-to tobaccos, but it's not very easy to find it even at specialized tobacconists. I don't know whether the ToI product line is going to be discontinued, sure it has not encountered great success in Italy...

I have just ended a more recent tin (while I'm still cellaring a couple five years old or even more), and my previous review is substantially confirmed. Basically Killarney is a short-ribbon-cut-Virginia with small parts of Orientals and just a pinch of Perique. Would also say that the strength doesn't actually reach the medium-to-strong grade, and I'm feeling very confortable with as an all-day smoke. I have also found some similarities to Peterson's Irish Oak and so good using them in rotation.

Still three full stars out of four.

Packed in small round tin like the others of the same family. Label of light cream colour with the usual celtic harp. It also describes the tobacco as "mild and pleasant". At the tin opening it smells natural tobacco on the light side; difficult to detect the Perique at the beginning, but with time an acetic note says that it's there. Cut is short-length/medium width ribbon, humidity is good for immediate smoke, doesn't needs drying and doesn't become dry so quick. Combustion is good, two matches are enough, it burns quite dry until the bottom, no wet goopy at all. Strength starts from mild to medium and develops to medium to strong through the bowl. Flavour is natural tobacco with a particular cigarish note which I would be helped to understand if it's the Perique's role or there's some Kentucky instead of the oriental the distributor's pamphlet declares to enter in the mix. For this reason it is not an all-day smoke. No tongue biting on condition you sip it quietly. Good product indeed, I recommend it! PS: Sometimes it makes me think to a luxury version of Trinciato Italia: would any italian reviewer check my opinion ?