For those who love the sea few things in life are more satisfying after a long day on the salt than dropping anchor in a quiet harbor and enjoying a beautiful sunset. C&D invites you to enhance the experience with a bowl of Sunset Harbor Flake, a classic Balkan style blend made with the finest Izmir Oriental to add a touch of spice to the end of a perfect day.

ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique
Packagingtin, bulk
Strength
Taste
Full
Tolerable to Strong
3.2
ADz Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ADz Pipes (6)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the bomb - took a tin to my local pipe club in Nottingham UK - and almost brought home an empty tin!! Very nice stuff indeed superb in every respect - strongish stuff and full of flavour, burns well but takes a bit of lighting - but then it burns to white ash, and is a mega smoke, not a wife pleaser or female nostril attracter !! But for the Latakia, Perique Oriental lover - this is a power house and easy smoke more than one bowl of it! My very good pal in the US has got me two more tins - this is why I say we don't have much choice in the UK! Miss it - miss out - nuff said!

This was an interesting blend. The three components seemed to be well married by the processing of the flake. This created, at least for me, a less complex but very tasty flavor profile that held together well for the first three quarters of the bowl. The flavor was one of a smoky, sour, creamy, mildly spicy, cheese. It is literally mouthwatering. I mean it flipped my salivary gland switch to full ON. The last one quarter of the blend saw an increase in the creaminess and a mellowing of the other nuances creating a nice "let you down easy" finish. This blend requires very little of the smoker. It's a blend for doing yard work, tinkering at the work bench, or for just kicking back and relaxing. I like it.......yes sir......I like it a lot.

Pipe Used: MM General

Similar Blends: Gouda cheese????????.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

An excellent balkan flake rich in latakia and orientals but with a tender and placid sweetness. Good flavour and very good taste. It remains very very very long time in your mouth:a great pleasure! For relaxing moment. Four stars, of course !

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this Balkan flake to be without a doubt the best I have ever tasted. It burns so cool and is so intensely flavorful that I was truly disappointed when the bowl was finished. I smoked this blend in a group 5 or 6 Wilke billiard and it provided a long and pleasant smoking experience. This blend will not bite, not even if you smoke it fast. Nice work, Craig & Co. Four stars!

Sea Green Sky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sea Green Sky (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Sunset Harbor Flake has a strong flavor and decent ingredients but lacks any real depth or complexity. I keep coming back to the tin every so often hoping that it was the wrong pipe or I was in the wrong mood the last time I smoked it. Nope. Just a very mediocre blend where the components never seem to get on well with each other.

I am continually unimpressed with C&D offerings and this one is no exception. It has all my favorite ingredients but, like the half dozen other C&D blends I've tried, it just has little to recommend it over much better offerings from other blenders. (Which is odd because Low Country's Cooper Flake is made by C&D and it is outstanding).

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Quite dry blend which burns almost to quickly (maybe it was just my tin...). Anyway, it is good tobacco, but without any thrill. Cornell & Diehl has better mixtures.

varg winter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
varg winter (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I've opened a tin from more than one year old and smoked a pipe of this. Not so heavy in latakia in my opinion. A very good and sweet taste coming from the latakia and oriental spiced with perique. Not a latakia boost like Pirate Kake but the latakia is clearly there. Broke up the flake almost completely, very slow burning, one lightning.

Strong None Detected Full Strong

Another fine blend by C&D

It reminded me a bit of Penzance, but not as complex. This is a rich heady blend that still remains to be complex enough to keep me smoking it.

Upon opening of the tin, you will notice it needs some drying time. The flakes do smell delicious. Rub them out, let them dry on the tin cap for 15-20 minutes, then pack and enjoy.

Warning: This blend gets very intense at the bottom of the bowl and it will occlude your tastebuds for a good long while. But, it is worth it......

Yes, it is Latakia heavy, but still highly recommended.

BTW it will scare people away with its room note, so enjoy with fellow pipers.....

BigMonsterTruck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigMonsterTruck (5)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Pleasant

This is a very nice, full flavored flake. I can't stress enough that this is big huge full power. I smoked it during the day once, and am afraid to smoke it again during the day or when driving because this knocked me on my a**! But this tobacco is full of flavor and I do recommend it. Just save it for the evening.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The touch of Izmir made this an interesting smoke. Since Izmir Orientals are usually reserved for cigarettes, I guess I thought this would be more cigarette and less pipe in taste. I was wrong.

Although this one did not hit me with the knockout punch that other reviewers here received, it was a palate paster and I knew I'd been involved in some serious smoking.

This blend is dry upon opening the tin and burned very cool. I am sure I would have liked it better with more Izmir and less Latakia and Perique, but that's just me.

Overall, another nicely done C&D offering.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I you would like to try Cornell & Diehl's version of the McClelland Blakeney's Best Latakia Flake ,this is it. Draw your own conclusions.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (137)

A Balkan broken flake, with a varietal, Izmir.

Cool, dark and having all the savory properties of a decent Balkan or good full English.

Somewhat comparable by me to Penzance but not as intense.

Not much more to say, other than I like it. Let's see what others add.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I have become a bit leery of Englishes. I have a pretty low threshold for latakia. But I recognize a good blend when I smoke one. I first tried this as a broken flake, and later as a normal flake. They smoked about the same. this will undoubtably change with ageing. My suggestion is buy 2. Open one and hold off 6 months on #2. Start up light does bring the latakia to the front as expected. But rather than being overpowering, it as a nice exotic backbeat from the izmir. Once cruising speed is reached, the perique adds some different spice, while the latakia calms a bit....Strength increases a bit toward the end, but not unpleasant. Overall this is a nice english flake. The overall effect is a plus. Nice estetic tin, Great presentation, Flavor is perfect for after dinner or a stroll in the cooling winter air.