One half Cyprian Latakia with a generous portion of Izmir and sweetened stoved red Virginia.

Packaging2oz Tin

3.1
Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I will take this blend over Penzance anyday. It packs nice, and I don't suck in those little tiny pieces like I do with Penzance.

I don't know what it is about C&D, but they can do English blends like no other! I prefer this when I don't need as much Latakia as Pirate Kake has to offer.

9 out of 10.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is about as much latakia as I can handle and my go to full English no tricks just good strait forward tobacco

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)

C&D's Star of the East Flake strikes me as curiously neglected and under-rated here, especially given its similarities to one of the best loved tobaccos on this site--the venerable and venerated Penzance. They're both Latakia-heavy crumble cakes with marked Virginia sweetness. They're both easy to pack, light, and burn. And they're both delicious.

There are differences, of course. In the tin, Star of the East Flake is both sharper and dirtier than Penzance. Familiar notes of leather and Montreal smoked meat are mixed with an almost sour, bright note and a kind of sweaty, fecal, Bikram yoga-bum smell, which I personally find enormously appealing. Devotees of things like Munster, Epoisses, mature wine, properly aged duck confit, Andouillettes, smell-my-finger-games, and unsanitary bedroom practices from the rear pages of the Kama Sutra should find this immensely satisfying, perhaps even erotic.

Some tobaccos are appealing for their rustic qualities, for their lack of refinement. And this is one of 'em. I would hesitate to say that this is a better tobacco than something like Penzance, but I do think it's far more interesting. Highly recommended to all who like an unsavory quality in the things they savor.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)

A very fowrard blend of latakia, a strong smokiness, but with enough sweetness to finish it off, but definitely is a bit darker than most English blends

Pipe Used: La Rocca, Fantasia

Age When Smoked: unknown

Similar Blends: Pirate Kake.

Galathorn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Galathorn (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Well, there is God for the lovers of Latakia! 50% Cyprian Latakia with some Izmir and stoved red Virginia.

Tobacco form: Broken Flake.

Humidity: A lot, needs drying.

With 50% Latakia the aroma is quite smoky (a friend described it as bacon-y). The tobacco has a full and nice taste that fills your taste buds and makes them happy. The flavor is sometimes smoky (because of Latakia)and sometimes sweet (because of the Virginia). Nicotine levels fall into the medium to low category. Smoke it slowly and relaxed because anxious puffing tickles your tongue. The room note is strong and some people may find it unpleasant.

It is an enjoyable smoke especially for the Latakia lovers. The only drawback is that it is a quite flat blend. No surprises here. Nevertheless, it is a quite good tobacco and I truly recommend it!

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Strong

MMM, the joy of opening a tin with Orientals and Latakia! This is such a blend. The tobacco is in nice broken, flake format. The latakia is present and the smell of the tin is smokey with a bit of peppery tinge. The tobacco burns nicely and the latakia comes through in volumes of smoke. My tin wasn't overly wet, I smoked it fine out of the tin, and it's even better now. The orientals come through some, but it really is a Latakia 1st blend. If you like it, you'll try this, though there are others out there that are better, this has it's own personal mystique that will keep me having a tin around, after tin.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Strong Medium Very Full Very Strong

The mixture I tried was bulk blend. The flakes and tinned versions might not be a lat bomb but the bulk mixture certainly is. As others have remarked in their reviews, it turns sour and/or bitter halfway through the bowl. I haven't been impressed with C & D blends.

Latakiafile Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakiafile (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This had a good smoky aroma out of the tin. I had never smoked a broken flake before and I found it interesting it produced a nice full flavorful smoke that I really enjoyed. Thi swas not for me the Latakia bomb that others have reported. Star of the East isn't as strong as odyssey though it is more complex. If you have smoked the bulk version you owe it to yourself to try this it is really good stuff and I will be buying more

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)

I found this to be a nice, full bodied latakia smoke. Not a "heavy-latkia-bomb" by any means but stronger than usual latikia-english blends. A solid performer but not a superstar.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

I thoroughly enjoyed smoking this blend, for the first five minutes. After that, things went south really fast.

Maybe I just had a bad batch, but my experience with this blend was very mixed. At first light, this blend was hearty but not heavy, spicy but didn't bite. Lots of good, full VA/Lat flavor. Then it soured, and hard! Once the honeymoon was over, I didn't want to continue. The flavor just kept getting worse, to the point where I had to put it down, about 2/3 way through the bowl.

I may try more of this in the future, just because the first part of the bowl was so good. YMMV

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I would have thought the amount of Latakia was much more than the advertised 50%. Hits hard and has a complex taste. Can't do this all day long, but for those occasions when you want a blast of full flavor, this is the one to turn to. Not recommended for beginners. I find this to be not as full as Ten Russians, but more flavorful.

Bucky19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bucky19 (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

i have like all the C&D latakia blends i have had to date. this blend was good i like FM and old ironside better but its better than alot of latakia blends that i have smoked it burns good and you get alot of smoke out of it. i like the flavor its a nice smooth flavor that doesnt change bowl to bowl it stays consistent

oregonpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oregonpipe (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a great Balkan blend that requires a degree of finesse to obtain the best results. Please don't do what I did. When this tin arrived I was rather anxious to take it for a spin, having read the reviews below. My first impression on opening the tin was that it was dry enough to smoke NOW. Wishful thinking ! So I rubbed and stuffed a nice bowlful into a large straight billiard and proceeded to fire it up.

Now I expected, from a blend that touts itself as 50% Latakia, to experience a certain degree of Latakia bomb. What I obtained was a Latakia thermo-nuclear device. Whoa ! Basically nothing present but Latakia, tongue bite, and an unsweetened, salty licorice coating on the tongue. No Virginia sweetness, no Oriental spice, no nothing....'cept Latakia. Ok. I knew something was wrong and went back to the reviews. What did I miss? Obviously....dry time,dry time, dry time. So after letting my tongue and palate heal for a couple of days. I tried again.

Round 2: About 1 hour of dry time on paper, followed by a gentle rub, I loaded a smaller bent billiard bowl with what seemed like VERY dry tobacco. There was a powder left on the white paper that looked like powdered graphite. Did I overdo it?

NO. This time I had a GREAT smoke. Lots of Latakia and yes, Santa Claus, there IS Virginia. And Oriental, in this blend. Experienced a very pleasant creaminess behind the Latakia, along with some nice spicy sparks from the Oriental.

Is this a all-day smoke? Not unless you have a tongue that resembles a razor strop. Is it an everyday smoke? Not for me. I'll be reserving this for after big dinners or when I crave an extra hit of Latakia. It's a very nice, quality blend that I will keep on the shelf.....for occasional use only.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Good strong English blend! Latakia abounds. This is my first C&D blend. I'm impressed and will be trying and reviewing more from C&D.

UPDATE A bit one sided...it's good, but needs a bit of dimension to it.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this flake after already having tried the normal ribbon cut version and I must say I vastly preferred the flake. It is not one of my absolute favorite english blends, but it made a distinct impression on me as a decent blend. I liked it enough to pass it on to a friend in England so that he could get a taste of what something from the US tastes like. With that said I do recommend it, I found it to be a nice medium to full English, I also noted that I felt the flavors intermingled very well in flake form. I only had a sample of this one that I got from a visit to the C&D factory this summer, smoked about half of it and gave the rest away. I would like to buy another tin or two for the purpose of aging and also just so I can give the blend another try and hopefully expound upon this review at some point.

19volks71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
19volks71 (9)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

First off, let us address the age of my tin as received. I got this one with five months on it already. How lucky am I? As a cigarette smoker from the days of yore followed immediately by pipes, the nicotine receptors in my brain have had very little rest. This blend occasionally gives me a slight buzz, thus the strong rating. I rate the room note as very pleasant because I am a very lucky man. My wife loves the smell of English blends. I am sorry if you aren't so lucky, but I have to give it to the woman for sitting in the car with me and giving me her thoughts on the nuances of particular blends. She is as curious about pipe tobacco as I am, she simply chooses not to smoke. Whatever. Star of the East Flake. More like broken flake. You will be lucky to find four solid flakes in your tin. That is the only thing bad I have to say about this beauty- but I love solid flakes. Yes, there is 50% latakia in the heart of this beast. However, with five months on a tin- the VA's balls have dropped and the roundness of this smoke is so developed that you almost don't need your glass of whiskey along side of it. Note I say almost. Also, note I don't tell you what whiskey to drink with it. I am a J&B man. Star of the East, FOR ME, pairs best with Crown Royal Black. No water, no ice. Those who have dubbed this one-dimensional have not given the VA's here enough time to mature. With proper age, this one will intensify only with your intensity, never getting out of hand. I've got five tins that I am locking up for a minimum of five years. Once Star of the East gets that moldy, crystal age that Penzance arrives with, The Star will smoke Penzance like a drug store aromatic. MAKE SURE YOU ALLOW THIS STUFF SOME DRYING TIME!!! At least 15 minutes. Otherwise You will compromise much of the flavor.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Have been enjoying this blend for the past six mos., and has become my preferred Latakia cake/flake over Penzance and Fairmorn Lancer Slices.

For me, this tobacco needs some time to air and is just too moist out of the cans I've opened. Packing a pipe and letting it sit overnight, or letting some sit on a paper plate for a few hrs. before smoking is my routine. Have experimented with this stuff in wider and narrow gauge pipes. Like it rubbed out a bit more than it comes in the can, and in a wider bowl. Everyone has a different preference.

Do not find this to be a Latakia bombshell. There is a unique creamy thickness to this blend in the mouth. Very full. It is also subtly sweet in my opinion. No doubt there's Latakia in there, but the salty smokiness of Latakia does not overwhelm the tastebuds at any point. Very balanced with the Red Virginia and Izmir components.

Tobacco is consistent from top to bottom of bowl. 3 stars.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my all time favorite potent english blends. Potent not in nicotine content but in flavor. For you Latakia hounds, this will be right up your alley - full flavor, but with the Oriental and Virginia leaf very present and active in the experience. For a very full-flavored, Latakia-rich experience, I often reach for this, Commonwealth, Lancer's Slices, or recently for Quiet Nights.

Southern Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Southern Smoke (5)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

If you like English Latakia blends then by all means you need to give Star of the East a try. Broke it open last night and oh boy what a feast...with coffee this morning the flavor was even better after leaving it out overnight in a pipe packed last night. I've read on this review site there are no sweet notes to this blend, but they were there this morning...mild, sweet chocolate. If the taste was my imagination, then I hope that imagination is intact tonight! Four stars award in my book.

awt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
awt (15)

A true masterpiece. Has all characteristics a good pipe tobacco should have: tasty, burns evenly, white ash, plenty of not too strong latakia, virginias,turkish. Can be smoked in hot weather, has a nice room note, not too strong and nice packaging. A must for lovers of Penzance, Balkan Flakes, Westminster, and so on and so forth. Just a suggestion, enjoy in rather small pipes.4 full stars

Old Toby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Toby (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is by far one of my favorite blends to smoke. The flake breaks apart easily and has just the right amount of moisture out of the tin. The tobacco has a rather strong latakia flavor which I really enjoy. This blend is not for the faint of heart. It is rich and is a tobacco to be smoked with a meal in my opinion. I have several tins of this put away to age. I will try to rate it a year or two into the process.

shihan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shihan (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

A nice strong latakia with a slight spice note to round it out. The broken flakes pack easy and burn slow and cool.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

One of my top English mixtures. Although from time to time Latakia overpowers its companions, the wonderful interplay of Virginias and Orientals makes this a velvety and sweet smoke which reminds me of a campfire in the woods. A full English mixture with no subtetlies. If you enjoy Latakia there's little chance that you won't love this tobacco.

The flakes are easy to pack and load. Just rub some of the flake and it crumbles into the bowl and darned near packs itself.

Lots of Latakia in this one and the taste is rather smokey and full. Not at all sweet and enough nicotine punch to please.

Smoke it late in the evening AFTER kissing the spousal unit goodnight. Otherwise, you may get kicked out of the bed.

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I do not not like this at all. too much latakia and not much else for my taste. I got it in bulk. Maybe i'll mix it up and try it again.

Too much Latakia for me. There's no arguing with quality, however. I do like to pull it out once in a while when I crave that smoky campfire goodness. Rich and smooth, but I feel like I've been shot in the face with a shotgun shell full of that unique spice. I get what I need from Latakia in smaller proportions.

Edit 12-16-12: High-Latakia blends have grown on me, and I even like Pirate Kake! Smoking this by now somewhat aged sample, and enjoying it immensely.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

One of C&D's better offerings in this genre. Very smooth and easy to smoke. The previous reviews cover pretty much all of the other attributes, so I'll just say it is very good.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

This blend seems to be similar to the bulk star of the east. The difference is that the Flake form makes the flavors marry a bit better. The Latakia while prominent is not exceptionally stout. The Oriental tobacco gives this blend a tang that really pushes the blend into a recommended category. What I wished this blend had was more complexity.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

What a mighty and beautiful elegant blend! It gives full, sweet and rich smoking pleasure.

Humidity is just right and even beginner may smoke it to white ash.

Flakes are easy to crumble, although hands may need to wash after filling pipe.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a very nice Balkan flake, loaded to the point of overload with latakia but still containing some Va sweetness and a hefty load of oriental spice. The tobacco is beautifully presented and has good smoking characteristics, all around. I toyed with the idea of giving this 4 stars, but in the end I just don't it's quite special enough to justify that high a rating. On the other hand, I can think of absolutely nothing negative to say here -- this is a fine smoke, especially for those of us who really enjoy Balkans.

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I gave a away a tin of SOTE mixture, as I found it too "one note" for my liking. Then I found a tin of the flake in my locker and decided to give it another try. Not really a flake, in my estimation, more of a loose press, it crumbles easily and lights fairly well, although it could use some drying time. Much more balanced then the mixture, I really enjoyed the two bowls I've had so far. When this is gone, I'm fairly sure I'll reorder, just to make sure I have a tin on hand when the urge for a Latakia bomb arises.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Star of the East is a very strange blend. Cornell&Diehl declare 50% latakia, but when you open the tin the first flavor is a strong vinagred-matured virginia. Very strange. It burn easy, and you'll appeciate it for the great smoothness and fine orientals. Latakia is good but not too much smoky. The strenght is strong. Very fine tobacco !

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

Notwithstanding the fact that this blend is 50% latakia, I was surprised how well balanced this blend is. I generally don't like blends that contain so much latakia, but this is an exception.

Star of the East Flake will not replace Odyssey, among others, but will be one that I will turn to from time to time.

JulioJustice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JulioJustice (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I like this one alot and ditto the other positive reviews. I also notice it smokes nice and dry. I would recommend this to a new smoker that wants to try Latakia because it is SO noticable. I think it is not awesome, but a good baccy that I will certainly revisit.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Change the name! It is nothing like Star of the East at all! I buy SOR in bulk at Cigar King in Skokie, Illinois and it is wonderful! I had the misfortune of trying a sample of this flake and was not impressed. It is bland, and just a run of the mill Latakia flake. Take a pass.

Redneck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redneck (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

SOTEF is very smooth and rich. It is superbly spicy, tangy, creamy, smoky, and flavorful. The complete blend is one of the most satisfying and tasty English/Balkans I have smoked. Easy to rub out. DGT is average.

It is not bitter or sour at times like the original SOTE bulk.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The new version of this is in flake form, and has a substitution of Izmir turkish for the original receipe..... While this bears the same name, the blend has been significantly changed. The change of form to flake has married the flavors in a more unified way. The change to Izmir has added a spice and body that makes this a new and improved animal..... I like it and very much recomend it. The sample I got did need a bit of drying for my taste, but an hour and it was ready to go. Burning characteristics were good- Needing an occasional relight- But the blend did not suffer from DGT. Stayed tasty to the end with no bitterness. As a side note- the tin art for C&D is improving, and they are fun to leave out rather than hide them on some shelf. Kudos to the artist as well. All in all a great experience.....