C&D pays tribute to sailors everywhere who have been so influential to pipe smoking through the centuries with our new "Harbor" series of fine tobaccos. Snug Harbor is a delicious blend of Burleys, Turkish, Latakia and Perique with just a hint of flavoring to enhance the natural sweetness and room note. We invite you to settle in to a warm and comfortable spot with a bowl of Snug Harbor.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Mild, Medium
Taste

2.9
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I don't really have the ability to identify the added flavoring. It was discreet and perhaps a liquor of some sort. All of the other components combined to provide a pleasurable, if not awe inspiring smoke. Not sure that I'll purchase another tin but have smoked half of this one in about six months. So, its a nice alternative smoke for times when you are on the go and don't really have time to focus on what you are smoking.

Pipestud

This blend is pleasant and satisfying. More so than I thought it would be. I was a little leery about the vanilla flavoring, but I needn't have worried. It's very well done. It's also a mildly sweet vanilla which I like a lot. The Burley, Latakia, and Oriental components are well balanced with the Perique lightly done. The sweet vanilla flavoring is mild but present from the top to the bottom. I like this as a change of pace, smoking it only a couple of times a week.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Cornell & Diehl - Snug Harbor.

From Smokingpipes.com, bulk.

The mixture comprises light, medium, and dark browns. The aroma from the pouch is a definite aromatic one, making identification of both the alcohol and vanilla easy.

At first the smoke has the flavour of vanilla and alcohol on top of Burley, Latakia and Orientals. The Perique doesn't come to life until the final third, where the smoke develops more of a tanginess. The toppings are always present but never too heady. The burn's faultless, the temperature's below medium, and there's not a bite to be had from it.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant to tolerable.

Snug Harbor? It does a grand job of bridging the gap between English' and aromatic'. Recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Rattray's The Cave

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

The sample pack included this blend I am not impressed with it all I smell is turkish leaf and some burley not the aromatic I wanted . My wife test did not pass anyway, on the bright side I can mix with other aromatics for a robust flavor

huffnpuff

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After my first pipe, I was so disappointed with this blend - how somebody can add vanilla to such spicy tobacco like Perique or Latakia.

Anyway, after I dried tobacco a little, fortunately this awful smell evaporate and smoking is at least tolerable.

My rate: 1,6

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

A good Medium strenght English Blend not to over powering but packed with plenty of punch. Vanilla topping is ever so faint that it really is almost that there at all. For those of you who only smoke English blends this is good for a summer day.Pleanty of Latakia. I would stay with Sqauderon Leader or Fink English for a mild softer English. Would I smoke this again yes. I am sure that I will finsih my sample pack that I received free sample with my order. Thank you C&D . I have enjoyed this blend. Easy packing and to easy light. Thanks for my free Sample C&D.

jwillis172 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwillis172 (4)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Mmmm… Latakia.

The pouch note is mild Latakia. Subtle, smoky, lurking… Followed by some cocoa. No other discernible tobacco notes, except the mild Latakia.

The tobacco is a mixture of sliced brown flake, black sliced flake, bright and brown ribbons, dark brown and black leaf and a few stems. The moisture content is just about perfect. Rubbed out, the pouch note is still mild Latakia. I chose a classic “Shamrock” Peterson bent.

The charring light brings forth a small crown, the first puff is mild, tasty, slightly sweet and has a cool, almost menthol feel. The mouth feel remains slippery not astringent, indicating a good acid balance. Slowly sipping, the Peterson is barely warm to the touch. The pepper slowly builds on the taste buds, spicy, interesting. The side stream is also spicy, smelling of cloves and mulled wine.

Fifteen minutes into the bowl I notice an increase in heartrate. The stimulating effect of “vitamin N” has made itself known. Continuing the odyssey, I start to feel the full effects of “vitamin N”, I am alert and ready for my next watch.

I tamp and relight. The mouth feel is thicker, more like burley, moderated by the cool, sweet menthol feel. The pepper subsides, leaving raw tobacco flavor. Satisfied, I decide that is enough and tap out a small, dry dottle.

The verdict

There is truth in advertising. It is a light English blend, apparently Burley based with a small amount vanilla. Overall a pleasant smoke, easy on the tongue and with sufficient strength. I give it three stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson - Stanwell

Purchased From: P & C

Similar Blends: Squadron Leader.

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)

Opened up a sample of snug harbor this morning. Heavy on the burley. Light on everything else. Packed very easy. Lit like a champ. This smoked heavy but stated light. Room note came out strong with lat. Enjoyed it so much my samples went into a jar for later use.

Pipe Used: Royal Ascot apple

Age When Smoked: Sample

Purchased From: Low Country Pipe and Cigar South Carolina B&M

Cantrell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cantrell (14)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is the stuff! very crisp clean taste, yet full and rich. mild undertones of vanilla and a spicy finish make this smoker happy as a clam. I would advise experimenting with packing and drying as this blend can be finicky. If you do your part it should burn cool and have minimal gurgle (although I usually get a tiny amount at the very bottom of the bowl) I recommend using a good churchwarden for it.

This expert blend will be in my evening rotation.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)

Not a bad aromatic. I decided to buy a sample pack of 8 aromatics from C&D. Tried this first due to the latakia. It's a good aromatic for the latakia smoker. I will write more as I move through the tin. For now, I would give it a 3 star.

After another smoke and the first of the day, found this to be great. Very similar to Barclay and Rex #6. The amount of latakia is nice and the addition of Burley, Orientals and Perique with alight touch of vanilla makes the aroma a delight and gives the latakia smoker that latakia that is needed. This is a good blend when one wants latakia but doesn't want to offend non-smokers. This is nice and I will stay with the three stars and wait until I try it again. Not gooey and burns dry. I wouldn't even consider this an aromatic from what I know of aromatics but it came in the C&D aromatic sampler so it must be considered an aromatic...what do I know. I would consider buying more of this and keeping it to age.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

A good blend with plenty of Latakia and Perique. The Turkish & burley softens this blend.Ands keeps it from getting to harsh or over powering. There is an almost faint hint of Vanilla. I do belive that deer tongue would be more authentis to this beld. But still a good hearty smoke. With a lingering aroma.