C&D pays tribute to sailors everywhere who have been so influential to pipe smoking through the centuries with our new "Harbor" series of fine tobaccos. Snug Harbor is a delicious blend of Burleys, Turkish, Latakia and Perique with just a hint of flavoring to enhance the natural sweetness and room note. We invite you to settle in to a warm and comfortable spot with a bowl of Snug Harbor.

Blended ByBob Runowski
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
PackagingBulk, 2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Strength
Taste

3.1

This blend is pleasant and satisfying. More so than I thought it would be. I was a little leery about the vanilla flavoring, but I needn't have worried. It's very well done. It's also a mildly sweet vanilla which I like a lot. The Burley, Latakia, and Oriental components are well balanced with the Perique lightly done. The sweet vanilla flavoring is mild but present from the top to the bottom. I like this as a change of pace, smoking it only a couple of times a week.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a big fan of C&D and Pease blends, but this one is a shipreck. The colors of the tobaccos in the tin look promising enough, and it smells good. But it's a dead calm after that. The tobacco is cut so coarsly, it appears as if it had been raked from a pile of autumn leaves in my backyard, and includes sticks, stems and occasional whole leaves among the collective debris. In the bowl, it's so light that it barely delivered any discernable tobacco (or even casing) flavor.

I should have known better; the name lured me in. This is the second C&D "aromatic light English" I've tried -- Captain Bob's Blend is the other -- and both have been disappointing. Tack to another harbor, my brethren.

Cantrell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cantrell (9)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is the stuff! very crisp clean taste, yet full and rich. mild undertones of vanilla and a spicy finish make this smoker happy as a clam. I would advise experimenting with packing and drying as this blend can be finicky. If you do your part it should burn cool and have minimal gurgle (although I usually get a tiny amount at the very bottom of the bowl) I recommend using a good churchwarden for it.

This expert blend will be in my evening rotation.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

The sample pack included this blend I am not impressed with it all I smell is turkish leaf and some burley not the aromatic I wanted . My wife test did not pass anyway, on the bright side I can mix with other aromatics for a robust flavor

huffnpuff

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After my first pipe, I was so disappointed with this blend - how somebody can add vanilla to such spicy tobacco like Perique or Latakia.

Anyway, after I dried tobacco a little, fortunately this awful smell evaporate and smoking is at least tolerable.

My rate: 1,6

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)

Not a bad aromatic. I decided to buy a sample pack of 8 aromatics from C&D. Tried this first due to the latakia. It's a good aromatic for the latakia smoker. I will write more as I move through the tin. For now, I would give it a 3 star.

After another smoke and the first of the day, found this to be great. Very similar to Barclay and Rex #6. The amount of latakia is nice and the addition of Burley, Orientals and Perique with alight touch of vanilla makes the aroma a delight and gives the latakia smoker that latakia that is needed. This is a good blend when one wants latakia but doesn't want to offend non-smokers. This is nice and I will stay with the three stars and wait until I try it again. Not gooey and burns dry. I wouldn't even consider this an aromatic from what I know of aromatics but it came in the C&D aromatic sampler so it must be considered an aromatic...what do I know. I would consider buying more of this and keeping it to age.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Just as described on the tin -- a mild English with a vanilla casing.

It's nothing special. The latakia is there, but sudbued; I can't taste any perique. The vanilla is more notable in the room aroma than on the tongue.

Won't be buying this again, but I can see how it would appeal to some.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

A good blend with plenty of Latakia and Perique. The Turkish & burley softens this blend.Ands keeps it from getting to harsh or over powering. There is an almost faint hint of Vanilla. I do belive that deer tongue would be more authentis to this beld. But still a good hearty smoke. With a lingering aroma.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Tin: Standard ribbon cut with some unrubbed flake and stem. Black to brown with specks of blonde.

Packing & Lighting: A slight effort packing due to the flakes and stems, and took two matches.

Taste & Aroma: Standard light English aroma; nothing remarkable. Seemed to burn a little hot, but maybe that is the puffing rate or the way it is packed. Not enough added flavor to discern. Some component gave a faint grassy aroma. In a meerschaum, it is a much more enjoyable smoking experience.

Nicotine: Moderate to strong, closer to strong.

Room Note: Moderate, light English.

Overall: If this is cased, I cannot tell it. Standard light English; nothing remarkable, meaning 3 stars.

LostInDaJungle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LostInDaJungle (13)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm not a big fan of cased tobaccos, but I got a one oz sample of this free with an order, and hey, I'm not rich!

The underlying blend seems to be a fine English, and was an enjoyable smoke. However, I never really tasted any Vanilla, and what I did get was a perfumy feeling at the back of my throat that intensified as I continued. The flavor wasn't overly strong, and it was a pleasant enough smoke, but once the bowl was done my mouth felt manky. I found that eating dark chocolate with this helped even out the "mouth manky", and even brought a little of the Vanilla to my senses.

I don't like cased tobaccos, and I liked this except for the casing. If I was offered a bowl of this by someone I didn't want to offend, I could sit through it and enjoy it. I wouldn't buy my own supply, and if "just a bud" offered this to me I'd probably say no thanks. A good blend, just not my bag.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

A good Medium strenght English Blend not to over powering but packed with plenty of punch. Vanilla topping is ever so faint that it really is almost that there at all. For those of you who only smoke English blends this is good for a summer day.Pleanty of Latakia. I would stay with Sqauderon Leader or Fink English for a mild softer English. Would I smoke this again yes. I am sure that I will finsih my sample pack that I received free sample with my order. Thank you C&D . I have enjoyed this blend. Easy packing and to easy light. Thanks for my free Sample C&D.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The first bowl of this English-Aromatic was heavenly. From there it was downhill all the way, as the Vanilla casing I enjoyed at the beginning, became tiresome and boring. The quality of the tobaccos used are first rate. The blend burns cooly and thoroughly to the bottom of the bowl. It is a lovely mixture to behold. It's just not my cup of tea.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)

I realized before reading the last couple of years of reviews that Snug Harbor wouldn't be for everyone, and understand the comments given. But, after a little more than two years, I opened a tin of this today to see if I still liked it. And, I do. Even though I've gradually switched more to VA's and some VaPers, I will still head home to Latakia on occasion. To me, this is still a very nice blend. I love the room note, and the underlying leaf is all good. I have never yet tasted any of the advertised Perique, but it's still quite nice.

Wow - this stuff is great! A light English blend of obvious quality, and with a whiff of the vanilla, it's amazing. An English with high grade latakia, yet with an aroma that won't drive anyone out of the room. Some feat, that. I can enjoy this on occasion, in any one of my pipes dedicated to latakia blends, and the aromatic casing is so light that it's invisible the next time I load up with Odyssey or Raven's Wing. Best of all, no tongue bite. This may not be an every day blend for most, but for a wonderful change of pace, this needs to be on hand for most everyone's rotation. After 2-3 years, it can only be even better. Highly recommended.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I liked this. This was what I expected from S.G. Perfection when I read the tin. A wonderful English, with quality ingredients, and you can actually perceive the Vanilla. Not in any overpowering way, but like a pleasant ghost that bobs and weaves through the smoke. It's not there all the time, but it comes and goes. Never bitter, and the latakia level stays courteous...not overbearing. The fact that it is in the bulk category makes the price well worth it- and that's worth the fourth star in my book.

Ok! For all you folks who liked Valle Crucis, this is it with vanilla essence for a topping instead of Ginger Liquer. Plain and simple that is my review. I liked Valle Crucis and I loved this! The highest possible rating. 4 of 4 stars!

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

A vewry pleasurable English blend. Right out of the tin the moisture level is very smokable, though I did prefer to let it air for about 20 mins. Char light brought the taste and smell of well mannered cyprian latakia with a sweet affect (which I took to be the vanilla). Wasn't over bearing at all. (especially good for me as I don't like drip blends) As it calmed to cruising speed, The Virginias and Izmir came forward and gave the whole thing an exotic flavor which I really enjoyed. The Vanilla does not overbear at all. It comes and goes very gently and makes for a pleasant and welcome surprise. This is what I imagined Perfection would be like but wasn't. Finish was clean and tasty, with no harsh bowl bottom. I can't understand why this won't have a designer label, but that makes the price even more attractive. This is a no lose blend. Fantatic flavor and temperment- Great for those who want an English that stands out from the crowd. 4 stars!!!