C&D pays tribute to our heritage with Guilford Courthouse, a new Virginias blend named for the closing battle of the Southern Campaign during the American Revolution. Fought in our home state of North Carolina, we find it fitting to honor this battle that took place in part of what would become known as the tobacco "Old Belt" with a blend of the finest Red and Bright Virginias grown in the Old Belt region. And, just like the Revolutionary War soldiers adding a pinch of salt to their stew, we've added a pinch of extraordinary Izmir Oriental leaf for spice and to enhance the sweetness of the Virginias. We trust you'll enjoy this new blend from C&D.

Blended ByKeith Toney
2.1
DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (94)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Charring light brings forth Crisp, snappy, earthy semi sweet undertones. The Izmir provides a forward spice and is more bitter than it is sweet. There's a smooth woodsy flavor with a piney latakia-esq finish. No latakia in this one whatsoever though. The pine pitch flavors and aroma build as the bowl progresses, however compared to many actual latakia blends it is much more subdued and nowhere near as broad shouldered. However fine, the Izmir does provide an illusive complexity, hinting perhaps at toasted grain and a touch of wood smoke.

There's a fleeting sugariness that appears here and there but never seems to provide much of a foundation, nor does it present itself as a major aspect of the overall flavor profile. The smoke is very light, fairly creamy and extremely fragrant. The room note is pleasantly sweet with a slight spice note. Guilford is fairly bitter and renders sort of a brisk tea soft palate sensation.

GC has a tremendous upside DGT'd. DGT brings forth a more pronounced sweetness as well as a fuller mouth feel and strangely enough a black tea flavor. I think with some trial and error and with finding the right pipe for it, this blend could be one of those B-side sleeper mixtures.

If you're looking for an affordable Oriental forward Va/Turk mixture, this one might fit the bill nicely.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was always surprised about the lower ratings for this blend. I find this to be a nice play between sweet Virginia and sweet-ish/spicy Oriental/Turkish.

I right away cellared and am at the 3 year mark on some, and will retry with the age and keep you posted. Recommended to Va fans.

This is a very confounding tobacco. At least to my memory, it's the only tobacco of its cut (very fine) that performed best dried to almost powder. Straight out of the tin, it was very moist and that not only made lighting difficult, it seemed to dumb down the flavor. It got better as I dried it out but reached its peak (such as it is) when it became extremely dry. Only then did the orientals make a statement.

At its best, this is a fairly non-descript tobacco. It had an "odd" sweetness, and try as I might, odd is the best way I can describe it. The Izmir no doubt has a hand in that, and it tasted like no Izmir blend I've ever smoked. Perhaps the dryness changed the turkish beyond recognition but only dry could I discern that there was any turkish in the blend. The virginias seemed undercooked and bland. As I said, confounding.

The best thing to happen to this blend was nothing C&D did but what I did. As the previous poster mentioned, 5% perique added helped but it was only when I added 20% burley to that mess that the concoction elevated itself beyond "somewhat smokable". If you have a tin of this and don't like it but don't want to throw it out, try this recipe.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I don't much care for this. Believe you me, I gave it a fair try. I had a great deal of the stuff lying around and I smoked it in all manner of pipes under all manner of conditions. It just plain does not taste good.

It doesn't burn the mouth or tongue but still leaves them feeling irritated. It isn't a particularly strong tobacco, but always left me feeling queasy and deflated.

The Izmir Oriental leaf only serves to make it taste dirty and sooty. The Virginia is sour and flat as percolated coffee at a basement AA meeting.

I will never, ever smoke this again.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

I found this blend to be a great Virginia-Oriental mixture. It has a smooth, silky and cool smoke. Easy to keep lit. The sweet dimensions of the Virginia leaf dance very well wit the oily sweetness of the Izmir. And yes, it is nicely spicy too. I highly recommend this fine blend those who like the Turkish taste added into quality Virginia leaf. You will for sure have nice moments of pipe smoking.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

Well, it's ok...but nothing special here. The red virginia lacks sweetness and is the polar opposite of many McClelland VAs. The Izmir does not seem to add much character, even though I do detect its presence.

This is not a horrid blend; it is just not memorable. I am not really sure what this blend is trying to achieve. Many other C&D blends are far better.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

This is only the second C and D Blend that I find I don't like but this one just did not satisfy. It has a very perfume taste that I don't like and as I am sure it is the Turkish tobacco in it that I am tasting and smelling, I am learning that that is not my taste in blends. What a waste of good VA tobaccos. It is a very dark brown blend in a rough flake and has a pouch aroma with a somewhat peaty semi sweet pouch aroma. It was on the dry side which I tend to like anyway and it loaded very easily into my pipe and lit very easily on first light. It has a nice sweet VA flavor with the perfume taste and aroma of the Ismir tobacco wafting in and out. I enjoyed this one just the same but not enough to want to keep any around. It just left me wanting at the end of the bowl. it did burn very well to the bottom of the pipe with a grey ash and no dottle or moisture left in my pipe. This might be enjoyable to Turkish lovers but as I just did not enjoy it and I can find good in most tobaccos, I just can't recommend it. To many good tobaccos with Turkish leaf out there to settle for this one.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)

I found this to be a disappointment, largely because I'm learning that I just don't appreciate Izmir in many blends. I don't really know if this has a large quantity of that leaf relative to the Vas, but the effect to my tastebuds was a bitter mess that left me dumping out most of the tin. I'm giving this 2 stars instead of 1 because I think the quality of the leaf is good; it's just not my thing.

dallaspipehead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dallaspipehead (12)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I can't help talking about this one. Either I don't get out enough, or there aren't that many blends that showcase old belt virginias. I have an dusty tin of W.O. Larsens "Old Belt Ready Rubbed" in my collection. It's harsh and boring, appearing to be singular in its ingredients. Nevertheless, I had to have it. On that same note, I had to have this one, yet it was anything but boring! Similar to the OBRR, the #927 mix has a faint floral smell. Not like an english soapy floral, its more like an expensive rose from the cooler. A pity it couldn't smell that way on fire, eh ladies? Perhaps if the rose garden grew too close to the fire pit...hmmm. Smells nice, actually. To me, anyway. Regardless of that, if your'e a collector of tobaccos, this is a must have. Sounds simple and straightforward enough by description (like so many), but what it doesn't mention is that stoved or flue-cured old belt tobaccos are potent enough to be considered condimental, or at least I think so. Do you like wasabi? Have some habaneros with spices and a couple shots of moonshine? Put your mouth through boot camp before getting your pallet in the ring with this wild child. All things are affected by the pipesters smoking habits, of course. An older, more experienced leather-toungue might sail through this fog unaffected. This concoction is probably intended for slow nursing. No steamboats or locomotives. With all that said, go ahead! Go to town on that initial light-up and roll the smoke through your nasal passages. A snuff-like burn, that fills your head with an almost overwhelming piquancy. Don't be ashamed if you get a little misty-eyed. It's normal for some guys to fall in love with something hot and sweet but potentially wicked. Isn't it? I like it in my Peterson 304 system pipe. All things in moderation. You've been warned. Like a woman, you gotta have some in your life for the sake of experience, if nothing else. If you get burned like I do, you only have yourself to blame. I must add that the turkish gives the blend a special flavor, and it stands out in a very different way than the turkish in other blends from the family. It might not be an everyday blend for the novice, but very good for training ones self to puff slowly and pause more often. I know I'm going to venture this stuff again and again and again. It's the only courthouse I'm not afraid to get into...but respect is definitely due! UPDATE: I smoked some Briar Fox out of the 304, then went back to "court" again. #927 was noticeably mellowed...somehow. It could be the pipe is improving the flavor as it continues to develop a cake. Perhaps the Fox was a better foundation tobacco. This got milder as it slowly dissapeared into nothing but ash. I am learning that it is better to start the break-in process with the mildest blend in the category of choice. It helps to have a vast collection...that's why it takes so long to learn when you're making peanuts for a living!

Invigilator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Invigilator (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I am very fond of many C&D blends, but this one I found rather disappointing. Part of the reason is that it is very moist and therefore rather difficult to keep lit, this being particularly unfortunate as the blend is quite mild and each bowl needs some time for the smoker to be able to appreciate its nuances. Constant interruptions for a re-light distract one's attention from the flavour.

Protracted periods of drying out the tobacco before loading are an unfortunate necessity in my experience. Even then the tobacco is, for me at least, a little dull. The addition of 5% Périque makes a difference and adds interest.

Overall however, I find tobaccos such as Briar Fox much more interesting and satisfying.

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

To each their own. I find this blend to my liking. Smooth Va's and a little spice to make nice.

Try it you'll like it

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Yes, it's like.....why bother? Since this is a tinned bulk, there is no description on the tin telling you more about it. You have to take your chances. In this case it's heads, C & D wins, tails, you lose. Unmemorable.

One of five stars

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I really hate saying this but C&D is rapidly becoming one of the most unpredictable blenders on the market. Every new blend is a surprise and lately not a good one. This is no exception.It has a very Virginia base with bitter Orientals. The overall flavor is muted and kind of "dirty". It is very strong and has no real redeeming qualities at all. It burns cool enough but that is about it as far as good characteristics. Star of the East Flake, Purple Cow, Evening Rise, and now Guilford Courthouse.Sorry, skip this one and go for Arcadia mixture by McClelland for a true Virginia/ Oriental mix. 1 star.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

The Virginias in this blend have a sharpness that I do not enjoy. The orientals are very evident and tasty but the blend burns hot and lacks any depth of flavor. Like most C&D blends there is a definite lack of aging. It tastes like a cheap bulk mixture at a premium price.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

Smoking this in a big CAO Meer as I write. This is a Wonderful Virginia blend. Even very new this is a taste experience. Sweet virginia, with spicey turkish- the flavor is creamy and blends very well. No conflicting taste- Just straight forward that can be enjoyed without a lot of concentration. Slow smoking and barely lit and the sweetness is main stage. Puff more agressively and the turkish responds. I love blends like this. DGT works very well here as well, through a little cigarish on the relight (Odd I know, but thats the taste to me)-Giving way to the Sweet/Spice as above once cruising. All in all a great blend. Being in the bulk catagory makes price point a real hit with me. Will definatly be buying more to cellar- Would love to see how this does with a year under its belt...