Comprised from the same tobaccos as unflavored Dark Flake, this strong, full-bodied flake is augmented with the addition of traditional British flavorings, as well as tonquin, maple, and licorice. Designed for those experienced smokers who want the full strength of Dark Flake but enjoy a more traditionally flavored British Flake.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringFruit / Citrus, Licorice, Maple, Other / Misc, Tonquin Bean
Strength
Strong
Taste
Very Full

3.2
Camarade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camarade (5)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

Pipestud and others have contributed accurate assessment of DFS below. Should there remain any doubt in your mind, you may want to take the DFS compatibility test:

Which do you prefer? Select your choice of either (A) or (B).

(A)Guinness Stout vs.(B)Coors Light (A)Liver and onions vs.(B)Peanut butter sandwich (A)Cabernet Sauvignon vs.(B)Beaujolais Nouveau (A)Shad roe (fried) vs.(B)Tilapia fillet broiled) (A)Moth balls vs.(B)Lilac pomander

If you select at least four (A) items, you may be a candidate to try DFS.

As for me, this is as close to an 'aromatic' as I will allow, something other than tobacco burning in my pipe.

Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It appears my 2 oz sample was absent the day they handed out the "traditional British flavorings". Ok, not absent but apparently not absorbing the lesson. Readers should take this review with a grain of salt, since my batch appears different than the norm, but I'm reporting on what I tasted/smelled.

This would be a great tobacco for someone that loves the robust feistyness of Dark Flake Unscented but wants something they can smoke around others. Ok, "some" others! I got varied comments, but smoking DFU garnered one comment echoed umpteen times - "YUCK"! This had a heavily scented tin aroma that did not correlate to the flavor very much. What flavoring my batch possessed burned off within the first 20 or so puffs. From that point forward, it tasted exactly like my memory of DFU but gave off a more tolerable room aroma. In that sense, this could be the perfect tobacco for someone. I found it deep, dark and luxurious tasting, just like its unscented brother. Very nicotine-laden, and smaller bowls are recommended. This one lulled me to over-relaxation, both through the flavor and through the nicotine buzz.

I could not smoke this one all day or even everyday. Perhaps once per week. But this is a tobacco that I intend to have around for those times where it just fits in when nothing else will satisfy. This is a 3.5 star blend, downgraded due to its occasional status and not its flavor!

grumpyoldprofessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grumpyoldprofessor (11)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco was an eye opener to me. For years I have been able to enjoy most "types" of tobacco, but for my daily smokes tended to stick with light Virginia's and the occasional aromatic. When I first tried Dark Flake Scented, I was a little bit leery, due to the warnings of the strength nicotine wise. My fears were mostly unfounded. This tobacco does indeed pack a nicotine punch, but behaves if puffed gently. The benefit of the full flavor far outweighs the con of the nicotine (if you consider that a bad thing) when smoked with reasonable sense.

The flavor, again, is full. It's a nice almost spicy taste, maybe that's a tonquin or licorice coming through. I know this will sound odd, but the back of the throat/nose taste reminds me of Chaps cologne.

I love the smell of this stuff in the jar and think it does come through a little bit in the smoke for the first dozen or so puffs, but gently fades away after that. It's not at all a turn off for me. I've smoked it in a few pipes and find that it does not ghost a pipe anywhere near as much as I thought it would. I actually like the smell it leaves behind in the pipe the following day.

Again, this tobacco was an eye opener to me. It's really the first full strength blend I've thoroughly enjoyed. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something with a full flavor and with a bit of strength to it.

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A medium, possibly for some, strongish strength, mainly dark fired Malawi Virginia tobacco from the established and renowned Lakeland blenders Gawith and Hogarth. DFS is essentially Dark Flake but with the addition of flavorings which in my opinion do not transfer to the taste of the tobacco as one would expect from the bag aroma. The cut and press of the flake will be familiar to smokers of British flakes. Dark, heavily pressed and cut to six inch by a little over one inch flakes. The usual high quality leaf from established growers and suppliers have ensured that G&H have been able to maintain a consistant high standard of their products with in this case the addition of time honoured secret ingredients, some of which named may be less present than some would have you believe.

The producers Gawith and Hogarth mention the presence of Tonquin and liquorice as well as other flavourings as being present but some reviewers have compared this blend to Sam Gawith's 1792 which I feel is a little misleading. Tonquin and liquorice play a minor part in this blends flavourings and aroma, but in 1792 these ingredients have a more forward, dominant role and transfer to the smoke of that blend much more than any flavourings do in DFS. The main or dominant ingredient/aroma of DFS is a very different and lighter middle note of either (I think at least) Geranium or Rose Geranium which may well remind smokers of the Lychee fruit. Being a middle note and not as heavy as Tonquin which is regarded as a base note, the sweeter, lighter flavourings remain primarily in the back ground to the smoker who is rewarded with the quality taste and strength of the pressed virginia leaf rather than that of any over powering additives. I may well be wrong ofcourse and setting myself up for criticism but these are my humble observations regarding the matter of the otherwise only mentioned as 'other/miscellaneous' flavourings.

DFS stands alongside Dark Flake and others from the G&H house as a very good dark fired virginia and deserves in my eyes at least, simply on the strength of the tobacco's quality to come recommended. Although a favourite of mine there are others such as Conniston Cut Plug which I slightly prefer. If you find Conniston a little too strong for your tastes and / or prefer a lighter aroma to your smoke, then DFS will no doubt fit your needs.

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)
Extremely Strong Medium Very Full Strong

Smoke it in an armchair, otherwise next time smoke it in a wheelchair.

Stronger that 1792 and much stronger than Peterson's Irish Flake, the scented version of GH Dark Flake is a dangerous and/but extreme pleasure. Arrived rather dry, so there was no need to further prepare it except for rubbing out, loading and lighting up.

I'll second loosewatches' opinion - although the DFS is scented, the taste and aroma when smoking is almost exclusively of the dark fired leaf. It's only when you smell it in the bag or wherever you prefer to keep it that you know it's scented. I would say I love the tin aroma, except that it's a bulk version in my case. And once lit up, the smoke reveals a hint of tonquin and a floral note characteristic of many GH flakes, but no other added flavors.

As with all weed of this kind, good drying and a small pipe is advisable.

The Dark Flake Scented is not as cloyed with tonquin as the acclaimed 1792 Flake by Samuel Gawith and more authentic and powerful than Peterson's Irish Flake, which makes DFS the right choice for me when I crave for a stronger tobacco.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Very Strong Extra Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco should be stickered with a notice reading " CAUTION: SENSORY OVERLOAD".

Although the underlying tobacco is undeniably good, there are way too many added flavorings/perfumes competing for this reviewers palate.

I enjoy a good flavored tobacco but this is ridiculous.

For my money, the unscented version of this is MUCH better.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm not sure how fair this review will be, nor how others may take my meaning. I wish to convey to the prospective purveyor of this particular flake that it is in every way a high quality tabac. It is also a very pungent, very full flavored flake that should be approached with caution; hence the "somewhat recommend" rating. If you are a fan of lakeland flakes, you may take this as a "recommended", but with a little caution.

The flake is dark, real dark. And leathery. Opening the sealed bag it came in brought forth a scent that literally made me dizzy if I inhaled too deeply; and this is before lighting. I'm not sure what to make of all the scents that inhabit this flake, but the strongest one that stood out reminded me of Copenhagen snuff (the kind we in the midwest use as chew, and refer to simply as "cope"). It definitely smelled spicy, and detergenty.

Lighting this tended to be a chore. First off, getting it packed in the pipe was harder than I expected, as the tobacco kept springing up out of the pipe. When trying to get the char the tobacco would kind of come to life, and start peering up over the edge of the pipe bowl just asking for a firm tamping. The initial taste was actually very tasty, not at all as soapy as I expected. But it was very strong. As strong as the flavors are, you can still taste the tobacco.

At this point, I wish to reiterate that this is a very tasty tobacco, and very high quality. However, whether it is the tonquin flavoring, or something else, I couldn't tolerate the tobacco. Withing a few minutes my mouth and throat became very dry feeling, and I felt a bit of a sourness in my stomach. Then suddenly, I had to make a run for the toilet to be sick. I strongly suspect that there is something about the tonquin flavoring that disagreed with me. And even now, just thinking about the scent of the tobacco I get a little queasy.

So if the idea of a strongly scented, traditional lakeland flake tobacco intrigues you, go for it. It is a good tobacco. But eat a huge meal beforehand, and if it comes up afterwards, don't say you weren't warned.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (102)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Pleasant

Whoa this powerhouse flake smells like roses and lavender. This is a love it or hate it flake being that the aroma is so strong. I didn't like it at first, kinda made me gag in that old lady too much perfume in an elevator way but its grown on me. Very full, strong nicotine wise and tasty. Flakes are huge soft and pliable, easy to rub out or dry and stuff whole for a long cool smoke. Be warned though this stuff is very aromatic, stinky or delicious depending on your preference but extremely aromatic....

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Bulk

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (94)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a beautiful, well balanced & deeply flavorful smoke that tastes charred, rich and bittersweet. The scented topping creates a marvelous high note that balances perfectly with the fullness of its flavor. Truth be told, I have a pretty low tolerance for nicotine, and quite frankly I have no business smoking this blend. However, I really enjoy it, so I smoke it exclusively in a long stem clay tavern style pipe with a tiny bowl. This helps me to keep from overdoing it, and the flavor that I get from the clay is quite articulate.

There's a pleasing mellow spiciness that appears about midway through the smoke, and there are so many interesting complexities that it's really impossible to describe them. The strength and the flavor-balance of Dark Flake Scented are a perfect combination and there’s a significant amount of both. There's no harshness and no bitterness, only sublime dark tobacco flavor with a sophisticated flair.

I absolutely adore this flake and I think it’s a terrific option for pipers who appreciate tobacco of this style, but are seeking something more robust.

Pipe Used: Clay

Huskies4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huskies4 (6)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Beautiful flakes of dark tobacco with excellent jar smell. Too strong of a casing/topping for many smokers, however it is a great blend once your pallet adjusts. I prefer chocolate flake, brown flake and rum twist over this, but it is still a tobacco in a category of its own. Try the unscented dark flake and compare the two, both are excellent as is most Gawith & Hoggarth tobacco.

Best smoked later in the day with some food in your stomach. Works well in a dedicated pipe due to an overwhelming ghost, but you could dedicate a lakelands pipe and do just fine.

Overall 3 star blend due to Gawith & Hoggarth having better tobaccos in their lineup. I will keep 4 oz of this around but won't be buying pounds.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Smooth, Medium Strength, Full Body Tobacco, has a little Fruity Flavor, has a slight After Taste.

Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

A dark, satisfying offring from GH for sure. Darker in appearance than BrFl Scented with a similar bag note at first sniff. After careful sniffing you pick up some flower notes. Now, I'm not a fan of going into a florist for the smell, but the folks at GH do it right. Never overbearing in my opinion. What I like about GH as compared to SG is that GH offerings are more readily smokeable when fresh with very few relights along the way. This one has the stoutness and taste of Irish Flake but it is more flavorful and is less harsh than IrF. No real floral taste, but a floral hint which I believe to be the licorice. The sweetness as compared to BrFlSc (my favorite of the GH offerings) is more bittersweet in nature. I am smokng it now in a new Peterson Rustic Tankard. No bite and no heat with this one no matter how fast you puff. Wonderful hints of cigar upon light up and in the side stream - subtle, but noticeable.

Nothing negative to say about DFSc and solidly recommended, but as compared to BrFlSc, there seems to be a more chocolatey note with BrFlSc that I enjoy very much. However, if you want strong, DFSc will certainly satisfy. As srong as, if not stronger than, and different than, 1792 by way of comparison.

Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

You really have to like the Lakeland taste to enjoy this blend. The toppings are really why you smoke this, because they overwhelm the quality of the excellent tobacco used in making this mixture. And it'll certainly ghost your pipe quickly. It's really not my cup of tea; I much prefer the unscented version, but I can't overlook the high quality of this tobacco either. Once in a while will do me just fine. I give it two stars for the taste and four stars for the quality of the tobacco. However, if you prefer smokes with this kind of topping, then it's a four star blend all the way.

Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

First, a word of thanks to fellow reviewer OSR for gifting me some of this unique tobacco to smoke and review. He said that at the midway point of the bowl he smoked, he got the "sweats."

Dark Flake Scented is loaded with true tobacco flavor, and not advised for the wimpy tongued crowd. Dark Flake Scented plasters the palate with unrelenting flavor and strength. Nicotine in high doses is a good thing as far as I am concerned, so I really enjoyed the fullness of the leaf. It burns a little hotter than some of the Lakeland style flakes that I have smoked, but cooler than most.

It was not terribly difficult to rub out and once I got it going, it stayed lit very well. The unrubbed flakes are long, black and leathery. It looks as powerful as it tastes.

If a heavy Virginia leaf with sweetness of the Lakeland style is what you are after, you'd be hard pressed to find something better than this. So, it gets four stars from this member of the full strength crowd.

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (18)
Overwhelming Very Strong Overwhelming Strong

I can't stand the flavoring of this tobacco, but this may be the most Vitamin N I ever smoked in a pipe. I have smoked Five Brothers, straight ST. James Perique and many other very potent pipe tobaccos, but the niccups I get from this is unbelievable. It takes me several hours to fully smoke a bowl of this as I am constantly getting niccups off a couple puffs. I love the strength of this tobacco, but the casings do no agree with me at all. I have ordered some of the unscented and hopefully it will have the same kick without the horrible flavor. I would not recommend this based of the flavor, but if it is Vitamin N you are looking for, look no further.

Pipe Used: cob, italian briar

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable

I smell lavender & soapy but pleasant fragrances in this strong blend.

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)
Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark Flake Scented is an in your face, full bodied, rich flavored Flake of notable strength, with a Tonquin essence. Despite its fullness, it is always smooth with a consistent flavor, aroma and creamy mouth feel, regardless of prep method, folded and stuffed, torn into strips, cut into small squares or fully rubbed out. No subtlety here, but a well behaved brute. Burns slow and cool all the way down. Full of Vitamin "N" but not over the top.

If you prefer the Tonquin Lake Flake style over the Florals and want true richness and fullness in a smoke this one will deliver in spades. If you do not like the Tonquin and strength combination then its best to leave it to those that do.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Strong Medium Extra Full Strong

I really enjoy certain Lake land style scented tobaccos and this is one of them. This is a full flavored, full bodied offering with a strong tobacco flavor and scented aroma. Despite its strength and full body it is a smooth blend that never burns hot, does not become astringent nor develop any harshness. Burns cool and dry into a fine white ash to the bottom of the bowl. The scenting compliments the blends constituent tobaccos in both flavor and aroma which makes each bowl a truly pleasurable almost Zen experience. If you like lake flakes, and strong full flavored tobacco with a nice does of vitamin "N" this just may become a new addition to your rotation. If you really like this blend, I highly recommend giving Bosun cut plug a try as well.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A strong in your face aromatic tobacco. This one gets somewhat bitty halfway down. If like me you got lured in with mentions of 1792 I want to tell you something. RUN AWAY. Actually, no it isn't all that bad. It's not much for nuances of flavor or subtlety's, but if at the end of your day you require a hefty smoke you can puff away on in the company of others then this should do well.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is strong and full-flavored, as if you needed me to tell you that. When I bought it, it was called "Aromatic," but that would be a misleading description for most of us. The flavoring did not show up much in the pipe, being contrasted with the strong tobacco flavors, though you could smell the tonquin in the tin. I didn't really like the flavor of the tobacco, as it had the same hairspray-like quality I noted with Rum Flake, though not so much as to make the experience too unpleasant. Decent enough leaf overall; I'd gladly smoke it if I didn't have to go out of my way to get it.

Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant

A top grade Va flake flavored with strong lakeland floral scent, licorice and tonka bean oil, tasty, strong and full bodied. this blend is highly aromatic in the British style. the tobacco flavor is close to Peterson Irish flake, the floral topping is strong and yet very elegant.

overall this is a very good Va blend, but not as good as SG 1792 flake.

supersmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
supersmoke (12)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

This is another good tobacco from Gawith and Hogarth. I like all of their virginia flakes including the scented ones.

I got this as a sample and im glad i did because it is a bit to strong for me so I will stay with Kendal Flake, hence the three stars. However if you like youre Lakeland florals on the heavy side this is definutly for you.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Extremely Strong Strong Extra Full Strong

Wow, this stuff is strong! I have finally committed to quitting my pack a day cigarette habit, and decided to lay down the pipes for a week in order to get the nicotine out of my system. I lasted a day and a half, then my nicotine cravings got the best of me. I had recently purchased a few pounds of this to age in the cellar, but decided to have a bowl of this to steady my nerves. My supply is green off the truck, and very dark and heavy both in color and fragrance. I ripped off a bit, jumbled it up and stuffed it in a small pipe. It was the dickens to get lit, and the flavor is really of strong tobacco, plain and simple. I can taste a bit of the anise, but no maple. Maybe age will change the flavor profile. I had to puff like a mad man, and still had many relights. Suddenly the nicotine hit me, and I felt like a kid after sneaking a cigarette behind the garage. I have just finished another bowl, and my head is swimming. I certainly have no craving for a cigarette now! I apologize for not delving into the flavors and physical attributes of the flakes themselves, but these have been covered in other reviews. I can say one thing with certainty though, this flake will cure me of my cigarette addiction! If one wishes to be free of coffin nails, this is the ticket. I only give it three stars for now, as it will surely appeal to a minority of pipesters, but I like it. After it ages in my cellar it may get bumped up to four stars. Not for light weights, probably not for an all day smoke even for seasoned smokers, but when one craves a whollop of nicotine in a strong flavored format, this brute delivers. As long as I have this, I will never crave a cigarette again. I recommend every smoker try these Lakelands at least a few times. They are not for everyone, but they are so unique and of such high quality that one would be missing out on a cornerstone of tobacciana otherwise.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, this is pretty much the strangest tobacco I've had to date. I've smoked it a bit, and come to the conclusion it's not for me, but that said, if you like Lakelands and want something with a full flavored approach, or if you like full flavored tobacco and are curious about Lakelands, give this a whirl. I haven't yet found a Lakeland I really enjoy, and not for lack of trying. (Then again, I don't consider 1792 a Lakeland, and like it, same for Cob Plug, and many of the Gawith Hoggarth blends are favorites, even some which have a touch of Lakeland essence.) For me personally, it's a two star tobacco, but I will give it three stars here based on the fact that some folks will like it if they try it, it's obviously high quality tobacco, treated carefully, but just not up my alley.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Medium to Strong Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

The smell and taste of Tonquin reminds me of opium incense. The smell would be suitable for perfume or incense, but it does not belong in my mouth. Yuk. If there was licorice or maple, it was overrun by the tonquin. If you think you'll like the taste of bitter-leather with a hint of mint, you might like tonquin.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Strong Very Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

Surely "scented" is a misnomer ? I remember Spanish Shawl cigarettes, now THEY were scented. Aromatic, although arguable, is perhaps a better description ? I can't differentiate between Dark Flake Aromatic and it's stablemate Dark Flake Unscented, because I haven't tried, and don't intend to try DFU as it may detract from my perspective of DFA.I have read derogatory remarks about the "perfume" of DFA, but frankly I don't understand what the reviewers meant. There is a definite aroma in my jars in which my baccy is stored, but is sure is NOT a disguise for "Piss" of any genre. Some of the common processed tobaccos in the UK have made me physically vomit at one time or another, and I would quit smoking if that's all that was available here (UK). But DFA ?? never. If it's threatening to anyone regarding strength, nicotine fix or whatever, then I must be Macho in my tastes. I smoke this, or alternatively "1792" before breakfast, FOR breakfast, and subsequently all day without a trace of the (very familiar) sweats, wobbles, shivers that others have given me.

Chac'un à son propre goût. (??)

Would one imbibe a fine red wine without letting it "breathe" ??

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

You sure get to taste all the ingredients in this one;traditional British flavorings, as well as tonquin, maple, and licorice. I liked it very much but will be sticking with 1792 which is in the same genre as DFS.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Extra Full Tolerable

This is probably as bold as any tobacco I have smoked in a pipe. It stands apart from the pipe tobacco crowd like the Joya de Nicaragua Antaño 1970 or La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero do among cigars. Sit down.

I gather it is only available in bulk. My order came drier than most GH flakes. In the bag the aroma is pleasant and inviting. Scented, but not "soapy". I have not tried folding it, but I will. Rubbed out it stays lit, if you want it to.

In the bowl it is pretty much as described by GH. At first cool and sweet with hints of maple and licorice, then I noticed the tonquin flavor, and then the very mild floral flavor. I smoke a lot of Lakeland essence tobaccos, and I allow that mild to me may be different for you. The toppings are dominated by the Malawi and Indian leaf, smoky and cigar-like. Yet, it retains its sweet VA character. It is strong, but not harsh to me. In fact, the bottom third is pretty darn mellow. It burns cool and dry to a powdery, white ash.

I give it 4 stars because I enjoy it very much and with full knowledge that many will not. I can highly recommend it to ligero cigar smokers wanting something comparable in a pipe tobacco.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Very Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, it's finally happened. All of the public restrooms within driving radius of my house are out of urinal cakes and soap. There are, of course, substitutes sold at the supermarket for home use but I, for one, care less for them. I have written to the mayor to try and get him to divulge his source, but to no avail.

I specifically asked about the bus stop restroom on Kärnterstrasse, because they were The Best. With a hint of mint, plenty of honeysuckle oil and a touch of rose madder (the real deal) they not only provided a great smoke, once dried, but also left a great scent in my Bo Nordh nautilus and a very pretty pink tinge to my cake. I found they tasted best when savored with a small glass of soap from rest-stop 3 on the A2 autobahn. But, since they are no longer being stocked in the urinals and the soap is all but gone, I am deeply saddened.

Enter Dark Flake Scented!

Of all the flakes Gawith Hoggarth offers in both scented and unscented versions, this is by far the least scented. I don't know if the scenting is less liberally applied or it's just a matter of Dark Flake being so damn powerful that nothing can cover its vital brutal huge flavor.

Whatever the case, I agree that this is a palate plasterer. The scenting for me is only slightly floral and nothing else. (and no match for a real urinal cake, let no one fool you). I don't taste any tonquin maple nor licorice.

Like the unscented version this is a true strong tobacco experience. Once burning well it's as smooth and rich a smoke as any. The light floral dusting here helps during light up to reduce harshness and then, for me at least, fades into the background. Nicotine is rather extreme, making this a bad candidate for a 'work smoke' should you be lucky enough to smoke whilst working.

All in all a great companion to the U/S version, but no replacement for bathroom products.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

This is one mean tobacco. If you like a lot of nicotine and unrelenting flavor, this might be your tobacco. This blend has some aromatic bits to it, but you must smoke this very slowly to appreciate. Also do not smoke on an empty stomach, it will hurt you. I also would say to smoke it in a fairly small bowl, and do so slowly or else your tongue will suffer. It would also be noted that this tobacco needs to be rubbed out fully and dried before enjoying.

Buddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buddy (3)
Extremely Strong Extra Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is nearly the paramount of the ?love it or hate it? tabaks ? taking a backseat only to 1792 Flake & its variants and Erinmore (I enjoy both).

It?s a niccup episode waiting to happen. And it?s heaven on earth. But it can be as harsh as can be imagined (liberal air drying is highly recommended), and it?s often as cool as can be imagined.

I enjoy the Lake District flora/herbal thing, so I am biased. But this tabak tosses those flavors on top of a tabak that is ? to my tastes ? monotonous. The extra notes make all the difference!

Buddy

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark Flake Scented.28/03/07. After seeing and reading Pipestud's,review this blend.It looked familiar and bell's started ringing in my memory bank! So,I wen't and checked my pipe tobacco log book. The verdict is that I have almost agreed with everything that Pipestud,has written! Pipestud's,comment's are to me "100% true and correct" Not that I doubted his opinion at all. "Highly recommended indeed"