Rough cut and cube cut Burley, Latakia and golden Virginia flake provide a mild English blend.

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAmar Blends Co.
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review, so I thought it only appropriate to start with a glowing review of my current favortie tobacco. I have only been smoking a pipe for about five months so far and have yet to attain the expertise as many of my forebearers here, but I must give thanks to all of you. For if it wasn't for this site and the many insightful reviews and accompanying gems about technique, I would have abandoned this hobby within the first few months of burning money on garbage tobaccos and pipes.

My adventure in pipe smoking started with the local B & Ms of which, in my area, are nothing but roll your own and cigar pleasers with but a smattering of lousy tobacco for pipe smokers. This coupled with blank looks when I would ask about pipe smoking led me to the internet. Knowing really nothing upon entering TR, I merely clicked on 4 star ratings read the reviews on this one, All 4 Stars, and just called up C & D and ordered a pound.

The folks at C & D are great, as has been repeatedly mentioned on this site. As I told them this was my first order with them, they welcomed me to the family and included 2 complimentary samples of which I will leave for their respective reviews later.

My first puff of GA was heavenly. At this point I had read several reviews and realized, with my little experience, I should wait to review. I have now tried several other tobaccos and I find myself continually going back to this as a kind of comfort.

This tobacco was also my first experience with Latakia and I find I love it although blends with too much I find hard to pallet more than a bowl a day.

I should probably end this review now as I have likely already made you read more than you intended, but I must say that if you are looking for a transition from sweet tobaccos, I highly recommend this pure unadulterated tobacco bliss, but puff slowly or you will fail to appreciate its glory. Yes, this mantra has served me well with all tobaccos I have smoked.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

I love burley blends, and many of my favorites are from Cornell and Diehl. I find Golden Ash to be a very light, pleasant experience. Perhaps, the lightest of the C&D burley blends I have tried. I find it very nice for a change.

And, it burns smooth and dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I think I'll go have a bowl of it now...

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)

I am fortunate enough to have a B&M near me who stocks few aromatics and lots of english and natural blends. I had never heard of this blend before, but since it is a C&D burley blend, I thought it was worth trying, and I'm glad I did. It's a very pleasant old style American burley/Va with some latakia. It's a bit of a cameleon in that it's taste varies from pipe to pipe, but this keeps it interesting. The main player is burley with the Va and Latakia in the background, though with some pipes the Va and Latakia are much more prominent. I like the fine cut which I can just gravity feed and it's ready to smoke. It burns very easily and is great to puff on when reading or otherwise engaged. It is not a knock your socks off blend, but a pleasant and reliable companion. I like it enough to have 1/2 pound around. Fittingly enough, this American style blend smokes best in my American made Edward's pipes. C&D says it is an old Amar blend, so it has probably been around for around 50 years and has withstood the test of time. If you like the Ronkowski blends such as Haunted Book Shop and Morley's Best, you will probably like this.

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - 101: Morley's Best.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a nice, natural blend with a small amount of Latakia. I had recently stayed away from burley blends, but now enjoy a few. This is one of those few.

The burleys used are so well chosen and blended. They provide an underlying sweetness that is, to me, different from the sweetness of a Virginia-dominated blend. There is some golden VA in this mix, and it adds to the experience...sort of like supporting the burley base and giving it a different dimension.

I got this directly from C & D. It is one of their bulk blends. Initially unimpressive, I thought that burley just shouldn't be in any type of English blend. But Golden Ash emerged from a 6 month nap in a mason jar as an interesting tobacco. It has put burley-Englishes back on the map for me. When I want a lighter latakia-influenced blend, I tend to smoke Golden Ash.

Rimshot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rimshot (11)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The balance of latakia in this blend is spot-on. It doesn't cover up the burley, but is definitely present in every puff. This tobacco seems to be stairstep down from C&D #106 (Epiphany) in terms of latakia content.

Interestingly, it seems to burn--not hot--but very fast.

Very well balanced, burns well, doesn't bite. The taste reminds me a bit of Dunhill My Mixture 965. Still probably not quite an everyday smoke for me, though it probably could be for many.

Four stars.

Group 4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Group 4 (8)

After many years of latakia-indulgence I've retreated to the world of burlys and vapers. But every once in a while I miss that unmistakable smokey-steak taste and smell. Golden Ash has been my recent ticket back to Latakia-ville. This is truly a blend where the latakia is used sparingly. You can smell it in the bag but it sits quietly in the back row while you smoke it. Here the Virginnias and burleys are well-balanced and dominate. This is a wonderful overall medium tobacco which requires no special considerations, smokes cleanly and dryly, and most importantly, tastes really good.

bilbohooker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bilbohooker (12)

This is an exellent tobacco. I can't believe no one's reviewed it yet. The balance of burley and virginia is perfect, and the latakia is present without being overpowering in any way. This is just so much better to me than regular English blends. I hope others will try it, it has my highest recomendation.