McClelland X-60: This molasses Burley tobacco is sweet and nutty while providing a rich satisfying smoke! If you are an experienced smoker, then this is a great all day choice!

BrandJust For Him
ContentsBurley
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
Very Mild, Mild
2.2
Gramps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gramps (9)

This is renamed bulk and not a JFH blend. It is in fact McClelland X-60, which can be confirmed on the JFH website.

After reading the previous reviews, I ordered some Privateer. This is McClelland's X-60 sold in bulk. Unlike the description of "maple" noted above, it should be corrected to molasses, for that's what it is. As much as I enjoy my Virginias, I am a huge Burley fan and always have Aged Burley Flake, Wessex Burley Slice, and Edgeworth Sliced (when I can snag a tin) on hand. I also happen to love molasses flavoring. One of my favorite candies are the NECCO Mary Jane candies and very molasses laden. I have even, at times, "painted" some of my flakes with a thin coating of molasses to add that essence to the smoking experience. That being said, you can see why I had to try Privateer.

I ordered 4 ounces and upon opening the bag I was greeted with a beautiful smell of sweet molasses. It smelled just like the Mary Jane candies I am so fond of. The tobacco was springy but not moist and I will say now that this smoked totally dry from beginning to end. It was a medium brown, coarse cut flake that loaded quite easily. The pre-light draw tasted just like molasses. The smoking experience for me did not live up to the bag note and pre-light draw, and it bit my tongue even with very, very slow sipping. The taste was mostly herbal and not molasses at all. Plus, the PG present was very off-putting. Not on my list for even the occasional smoke.

bluedog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluedog (19)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I really enjoy jfh privateer. It's light aroma of molasses reminds me of cool weather and changing leaves. Lately I have been having a couple bowls of it a day and it would be an all day smoke if it had more nicotine.It is a nice little after dinner or before bed smoke. I also enjoy it outside but it can definatly be an indoor smoke that will leave the room smelling lighty of molasses. I would have rated the room note as pleasant but my girlfriend's imput is that everyonce in a while it has a stronger tobacco smell but usually it is a nice sweet lingering aroma.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This tobacco is in fact McClelland X-60 re-named by the fine folks at Just For Him. I know this because I am a regular customer and have watched them bag orders on numerous occasions. This listing shouldn't even be on this web site.

wordmerchant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wordmerchant (16)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

In a recent order from Just for Him for McCelland's X-60, I was sent a pouch of Privateer instead. A careful reading of McClelland's X-60 states it is cased with maple, which as far as I know, is a vastly different product from the molasses sweetener employed in Privateer.

Regardless of who ever made the tobacco, Privateer is a very fine, soft and gentle smoke. The casing compliments the burley wonderfully and this tobacco is certainly well worth a try.

There is no nicotine hit; aroma is pleasing to passerby.

Recommended to burley fanciers who want something light and sweet.

Tasty and highly affordable.