A unique English style cigar blend. Steamed red Virginia and bright flake, Black Cavendish, Orientals, rare Greek Dubec, Cigar Leaf, a touch of Perique and added Romeo and Juliet cigar filler. Truly exceptional with high and low notes and smooth consistency throughout. This blend is a little more expensive than most due to the use of Romeo y Julieta cigar filler.

BrandCompton's of Galashiels
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable
CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

I am a fan of cigar blends so CSCB has been on my radar for some time. It's taken me a while to get a handle on this blend and it has grown on me over the course of the pouch. If packed loosely, it will burn fairly quickly, so I tend to compact CSCB more than I would otherwise. After trying it in a variety of briars, it seems to be most flavorful in a pot. For the first half of the bowl, I get more Cavendish flavor than anything but in the second half the Orientals and Perique become more obvious, along with a hint of cigar leaf. While CSCB is not at the top of my favorite cigar blends, it is a fine tobacco, especially suggested for those who want to try a cigar blend. Recommended.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Compton's Compendium - A Tasting Journey Through Each of Maxim Engel's Compton's Blends.

Earthy. Spicy. Piquant. Quite complex.

Sip it or slurp it, no matter. Huge clouds of smoke. Room note is actually nice!

A little nice sweetness from the Virginias. Sour from the Orientals.

The cigar leaf is not in the lead, just lingering around the edges. And the characteristic black Cavendish flavor is noticeable but only as a condiment.

I honestly can't identify what the Djubec is adding to the flavor but it must be doing something – probably adding to the complexity and the “high and low notes.”

The Perique tingles in the back of my throat, just like it's supposed to.

Overall Cuban Style is a beautifully balanced cigar blend that goes above and beyond with its long list of ingredients. It's much milder than I had expected, and after several bowls I'm convinced it belongs in the medium category. This is one blend I can fully exhale through my nose with no sting at all.

If you really want to explore the depths of this blend I recommend a meer. It tasted just a bit flatter in the briars. In fact, I was ready to give it three stars until I tried it in the meer, which helps to coax all the subtleties out of this blend. I think that just might give it an extra half star. Maybe.

I guess I'm going to stick with three stars here, simply because in spite of its flavor and complexity, it's a bit flatter and less rich than others.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

My second sojourn with the Compton's and their foggy world.

I began as a cigar lover and often seek out cigar blends and I switch-hit often. Once again these folks have hit it out of the park, precision blending with a unique peppery taste akin to freshly ground black pepper corns, not cayenne. I do not think I have come across this profile before done so subtly. The cigar leaves are quite visible and do offer a certain creaminess like a good Puro should; however, it's not dominant which is very pleasant indeed.

The cut is slightly rough and thick; however, the quality of the blend really shines though since it combusts like the finest ribbon cut with a very fluffy light ash. Every molecule is being consumed all for the benefit of the smoker; savoury.

This a not a full blast English as one would assume, yet very full and tasty. I found it made my palate salivate a lot, which is an excellent sign in my books either for cigars or pipe tobacco. I'm not huge fan of Perique but the way it's used is perfect; balanced and adding a pleasant thin thread of fruitiness.

Expensive, yes and worth it; every cent. Akin to an aged prime rib to be enjoyed occasionally, not every day.

Highly recommended, I shall be visiting the Compton's often.

I am pretty picky about blends with cigar leaf and I have to say this one is currently my favorite. It is also the sweetest cigar blend that I have tried. The tobacco is of very high quality and IMHO worth the additional cost. It packs well and burns cleanly with somewhat of a "dry" finish. Unlike Billy Bud, I don't find this to leave a strong ghost in the pipe. The challenge is getting some of this fine weed as it can be a very long time before finding it in stock. It is however, worth the wait. Highly recommended.

Battling Maxo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Battling Maxo (8)

For the first week of smoking Cuban Style, I found an unpleasant, bitter cigar aftertaste on the back of the tongue. With that, I put it back in the drawer and focused on other tobaccos for a couple of weeks. At that point I went back to it, and to my surprise it had mellowed quite nicely. The bitter cigar flavour had transformed into a mellow, round zest at the front of the tongue. Strange but true.

It could have been time that mellowed it, or perhaps even the change of weather, but it doesn't matter. It is my current favorite afternoon English. It also is devoid of latakia, which, as a latakia devotee, surprised me just as Reserve #21 did. A pleasant change of pace.

Strong None Detected Full Strong

Absolutely the worst cigar blend I have ever smoked. The Perique started to make me nauseous. No discernible cigar flavor. Reminds me of C&D's Bow Legged Bear with cigar leaf added. HORRID!!!!

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

This blend is sublime, a wonderful smoke. I have tried other cigar leaf pipe blends - even smoked Dunhill's Cuba Blend at the Duke Street store - but have never tasted anything like this. Dunhill, McClelland, and other blends have been disappointing. I love cigars, but this is beyond cigar taste. Sweet and full without being overwhelmed by the Latakia, it is complex with different tastes surfacing as the bowl develops; many impossible to describe. I have found that Latakia can leave me with an unpleasant aftertaste that cloys to my palate hours after I have finished smoking it. Not Compton's Cigar Blend. I smoked this in a calabash watching the 1939 movie, The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes, and I was in heaven.

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I love cigar blends and seek them out. This one is the best of all the ones I have tried. There is lots of cigar leaf in this tobacco and it is good cuban leaf, and blended very well. There other tobaccos lend body and a touch of natural sweetness. Compton blends are heavy in body, flavor and strength. It's expensive, at about double the price of most other premium pipe tobaccos such as GLP, Rattray's, etc. Now, I will not say that the quality is better than the other premium tobacco blends available today. I still enjoy the EU produced blends such as Bankers and 123 Mixture, and will continue to buy those. However, these Compton blends are unique and do remind me of the older style of English blends that I remember from years back where the tobacco had a more coarse cut and heavier strength, and a more dense smoke.

Highly recommended IF you love cigar blends.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)

It took me months, I guess, to figure out how to add this brand to the data base. Sorry. But I am surprised no one else beat me to it. Max of pipes2smoke deserves kudos for his research, investment, time, patience, and talent to recreate some special blends from the past. They started on-line with him a couple of years or so ago and his list has grown. They are mostly full English blends. See his website for their history. Here's a start.

This an excellent, excellent English, cigar leaf blend. Ribbon cut, and the cigar leaf is well presented and the star of the show. But as you can see, it has plenty of high quality supporting characters.

About as full as Bankers, and a tad heavier than the old Sobranie no. 10, but the natural sweetness and smootness of the leaf in this old but reborn Compton formula are unparallel. It even equals the depth of now old Dunhill Cuba mixture from England in my opinion. Not harsh or too stout.

It is fuller and sweeter than Pease's excellent Robusto, but his blend approximates the "milder" Sobranie No. 10 (with some age) and was not intended to be as robust as Dunhill's Cuba or Lewis' 123 I think.

Normally I would not give a cigar leaf blend 4 stars, no matter how good I think it is, as they are generally not as popular as other leaf. But in this case, the mixture is so smooth and tasty I think It should gather more fans than normal.

Highly recommended for puffers with a taste for fine cigars or stouter blends.