Something for the lover of stout English mixtures. Bright and fired cured Virginias are generously spiced with Latakia and Perique creating a full flavored yet piquant blend, ideal for the evening hours.

BrandPeretti
Taste

3.8
Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

I have just finished another bowl of this superbly crafted blend and it is finally time to write a review.

I had never heard of Peretti's before poking around on this site. Like many I am especially curious about tobacco blends and blenders that rank consistently high. I have also found a couple of reviewer's whose opinion I have come to respect and Pipestud is one of them.

When I checked out the Peretti website I was pleased to find that they have a nice selection of estate pipes, and one of them caught my eye - a stately Charatan poker in a blast finish that I happen to like and offered at a price I could not pass up. While I was ordering the pipe I decided to try a few 2-ounce samples of their house blends that I had read about here. The three I ordered were Cambridge Flake, Royal Blend, and, at the recommendation of the gentleman on the phone, Smith's Own (I told him I liked Esoterica Stonehaven and asked which of the house blends he thought I might like, and he recommended this one).

The first thing that comes to mind for me with all of these blends is QUALITY. All of the blends I tried are of superb quality. A couple of reviewers here have complained about how dry the tobacco was when it arrived and I have to say that seems rather silly to me. Since tobacco is sold by weight, the cheapest thing in the world for a tobacconist to do is sell their tobaccos nice and moist so as to maximize their profits. Not so Peretti. The tobacco was on the drier side to be sure, but still nice and springy and READY TO SMOKE. If they had watered it down I suppose they could have made a few more pennies on the sale but they didn't. The only explanation I can find for that fact is that they are more committed to quality than profit margin. (And all of the samples they sent well exceeded the weight I paid for - which also tells you something about the merchant).

I pack this nice springy, somewhat coarsely cut tobacco using the airgap method in a large bowl Wellington. With a single match it consistently delivers rich, full, buttery and leathery flavor that keeps my interest and is consistent from start to finish. This blend is wonderful and of superb quality. All I can say is try it - you won't be disappointed. My favorite pairing is with a snifter of 50/50 brandy and orange brandy (Grand Marnier or similar). Four stars, hands down.

D.A.M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D.A.M. (9)

The gentlemen at Peretti have done it again! This is yet another new favorite. I went into the shop in Boston looking for their 'Omega', which has pretty much replaced Dunhill's Nightcap in my rotation (I still smoke a bowl of the night cap every once and a while, as I had just put a tin into a mason jar the week before I discovered 'Omega'). The very kind gentleman who was helping me, informed me that they were currently sold out of 'Omega', but he had something I might like even better. He prefaced that by introducing himself as the blender of this particular product, the Mr. Smith who is the namesake of this gem.

This has become my go-to blend over the past month, surpassing even my old favorites of Dunhill's London Mixture and Balkan Sasieni. The only other blend in my collection currently I would smoke as frequently is the Germain Balkan Sobranie, but with the difficulty of procuring tins of that fine blend, I ration it carefully.

Purchased From: L.J. Peretti

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Yet another bell ringer from one of America's oldest pipe shops. This Peretti's combination may have a "plain" name, but there is nothing plain about the complexity of the smoke. Peretti's has long been known and appreciated for the use of quality leaf in their proprietary blends and this is a shining example.

If you are a lover of predominantly Latakia blends with a smidgen of other leaf, then order a batch of this stuff ASAP!

Absolutely delightful and reeking of quality. As most of the previous reviews indicate, Perriti's Smith blend will surely please.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I have a tendency to review tobaccos that I like or don't like.

Smith's Own was recommended to me as a fan of Peretti's Tashkent, looking for Virginia in the blend and a little more OOMPH. Don't get me wrong, I love Tashkent but wondered if a little VA in the mix would be good.

Was it good? It was GREAT. I don't really get much of the Perique in this mixture and that's the spell of a master blender at work. A dozen long strands of Perique in a mixture can be (to me) a huge amount. This is perfect, if but a whisper of Perique.

To compare this blend with anything? Tashkent comes to mind but so does so many killer Oriental/VA/Latakia blends. Put it this way, Smith's Own is a fine, old-school English with a subtle bottom. Not too strong on the Latakia, the Virginias and Orientals play nicely and the payoff is a full blend that delivers from the top of the bowl right to the ashes. Me Gusta.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Right out of the tin

Purchased From: Peretti

Similar Blends: Classic English Blends - too many to mention..

Suttonwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Suttonwood (12)

I put this away for about ten months and just brought it out yesterday. This tobacco is as smooth and consistent as the come, the bottom of the bowl being as good as the top of the bowl. This mixture has great complexity that you can either get lost in or ponder. A wonderful after dinner relaxer.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Purchased From: Peretti's

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Whenever I am in Boston, I make the pilgrimage to the 140 year old Peretti’s. When I think of Peretti’s I tend to think of their great Burley blends, but they make some fine English blends too, especially Tashkent and Royal. While going through my many sample’s from last year, I found the remains of an ounce of Smith’s Own. Smith’s is a full flavored, rough cut English blend that also has somewhat of a nic hit too. I don’t know where Peretti’s sources their tobaccos from but they are always of high quality and this is no exception. There is a lot going on in this strong, rough cut, English blend. When adding so many component tobaccos to a blend, it’s easy to get things muddled, but not here. Each tobacco plays a role here in harmony. Personally, I think the Turkish component is what makes this blend for me. While it isn’t mentioned on this site, I believe that there is some perique in this blend in addition to the other tobaccos mentioned here. Smith’s comes fairly dry and ready for the pipe. At first light, you know that it is an “after a steak dinner” kind of smoke. Smith’s quickly settles down though and burns cool, while gathering some strength along the way. By mid bowl, the complexity of this blend really shows its face. It is a bit spicy rather than creamy, but doesn’t bite, although I didn’t venture to push it. The Virginia’s add a touch of sweet in the later stages of the bowl. I don’t think this will replace Tashkent as my favorite Peretti English, but lovers of full English blends can’t go wrong with this one from one of America’s oldest pipe shops.

Purchased From: Peretti's

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)

The blend is indeed stout, yet I would call this a light latakia blend. The taste is strong with the turkish tobacco dominating from start to finish. The perique was just noticeable here and there. Personally, there are several Peretti blends I enjoy much more so I'd rate Smith's Blend as one I'd smoke again, but wouldn't buy again. Worth a try for English fans.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Wow what a smoke! If you like full flavored English blends give this one a go. You won't be disappointed. I purchased several blends from Perettis to try this is so far the very best of all these quality blends. Steve Smith was not blowing his own horn when he commented on my choice of tobacco when ordering this blend. Steve knows how to blend an outstanding full flavor English tobacco.

This blend smells great in the pouch. S.O. has just the right amount of moisture for an English. The blend of quality VA's, Oriental and Turkish is masterfully perfect. Just the right amount of a nice smokey Latikia showcases this blend and makes it an absolute delight for any full English fan. S.O. packs nice and burns complete to a nice mottled grey ash. This blend packs a nicotine wallop and is a great after dinner or evening blend.

I will be calling the good people of L. J. Peretti and ordering more of this blend. I can't wait for my next trip to Boston so I can drop by the shop.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

The most full bodied and strongest of the Peretti English blends which I have tried. This was a true treat. I started out a little too vigorously with Smith's Own and it caught my stomach off guard so I slowed it down some and got better control...results: Excellence. This burned so very well with complex flavors and a heady aroma accentuated wonderfully by the Perique. Very good volume of smoke...What's not to like? Another big winner from the house of Peretti. TYLFYSJC