Our newest blend for the lover of stout English mixtures. Bright and Fire Cured Virginia's are generously spiced with Latakia, Perique, and Turkish, creating a full flavored yet piquant blend, ideal for the evening hours.

BrandPeretti
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste
3.2
Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

I have just finished another bowl of this superbly crafted blend and it is finally time to write a review.

I had never heard of Peretti's before poking around on this site. Like many I am especially curious about tobacco blends and blenders that rank consistently high. I have also found a couple of reviewer's whose opinion I have come to respect and Pipestud is one of them.

When I checked out the Peretti website I was pleased to find that they have a nice selection of estate pipes, and one of them caught my eye - a stately Charatan poker in a blast finish that I happen to like and offered at a price I could not pass up. While I was ordering the pipe I decided to try a few 2-ounce samples of their house blends that I had read about here. The three I ordered were Cambridge Flake, Royal Blend, and, at the recommendation of the gentleman on the phone, Smith's Own (I told him I liked Esoterica Stonehaven and asked which of the house blends he thought I might like, and he recommended this one).

The first thing that comes to mind for me with all of these blends is QUALITY. All of the blends I tried are of superb quality. A couple of reviewers here have complained about how dry the tobacco was when it arrived and I have to say that seems rather silly to me. Since tobacco is sold by weight, the cheapest thing in the world for a tobacconist to do is sell their tobaccos nice and moist so as to maximize their profits. Not so Peretti. The tobacco was on the drier side to be sure, but still nice and springy and READY TO SMOKE. If they had watered it down I suppose they could have made a few more pennies on the sale but they didn't. The only explanation I can find for that fact is that they are more committed to quality than profit margin. (And all of the samples they sent well exceeded the weight I paid for - which also tells you something about the merchant).

I pack this nice springy, somewhat coarsely cut tobacco using the airgap method in a large bowl Wellington. With a single match it consistently delivers rich, full, buttery and leathery flavor that keeps my interest and is consistent from start to finish. This blend is wonderful and of superb quality. All I can say is try it - you won't be disappointed. My favorite pairing is with a snifter of 50/50 brandy and orange brandy (Grand Marnier or similar). Four stars, hands down.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Yet another bell ringer from one of America's oldest pipe shops. This Peretti's combination may have a "plain" name, but there is nothing plain about the complexity of the smoke. Peretti's has long been known and appreciated for the use of quality leaf in their proprietary blends and this is a shining example.

If you are a lover of predominantly Latakia blends with a smidgen of other leaf, then order a batch of this stuff ASAP!

Absolutely delightful and reeking of quality. As most of the previous reviews indicate, Perriti's Smith blend will surely please.

Suttonwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Suttonwood (10)

I put this away for about ten months and just brought it out yesterday. This tobacco is as smooth and consistent as the come, the bottom of the bowl being as good as the top of the bowl. This mixture has great complexity that you can either get lost in or ponder. A wonderful after dinner relaxer.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Purchased From: Peretti's

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Whenever I am in Boston, I make the pilgrimage to the 140 year old Peretti’s. When I think of Peretti’s I tend to think of their great Burley blends, but they make some fine English blends too, especially Tashkent and Royal. While going through my many sample’s from last year, I found the remains of an ounce of Smith’s Own. Smith’s is a full flavored, rough cut English blend that also has somewhat of a nic hit too. I don’t know where Peretti’s sources their tobaccos from but they are always of high quality and this is no exception. There is a lot going on in this strong, rough cut, English blend. When adding so many component tobaccos to a blend, it’s easy to get things muddled, but not here. Each tobacco plays a role here in harmony. Personally, I think the Turkish component is what makes this blend for me. While it isn’t mentioned on this site, I believe that there is some perique in this blend in addition to the other tobaccos mentioned here. Smith’s comes fairly dry and ready for the pipe. At first light, you know that it is an “after a steak dinner” kind of smoke. Smith’s quickly settles down though and burns cool, while gathering some strength along the way. By mid bowl, the complexity of this blend really shows its face. It is a bit spicy rather than creamy, but doesn’t bite, although I didn’t venture to push it. The Virginia’s add a touch of sweet in the later stages of the bowl. I don’t think this will replace Tashkent as my favorite Peretti English, but lovers of full English blends can’t go wrong with this one from one of America’s oldest pipe shops.

Purchased From: Peretti's

Smith's tastes very much like British, but a little fuller. I quite enjoy this blend and it has all the good smoking qualities I have found in the naturals created by Peretti. This smokes very clean and dry, gives great plumes of smoke. The only criticism I have it that this turns a little harsh after returning to a lain down bowl.

Smoke in peace, my brothers and sisters of the briar.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (83)

The blend is indeed stout, yet I would call this a light latakia blend. The taste is strong with the turkish tobacco dominating from start to finish. The perique was just noticeable here and there. Personally, there are several Peretti blends I enjoy much more so I'd rate Smith's Blend as one I'd smoke again, but wouldn't buy again. Worth a try for English fans.

Pipeagain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeagain (1)

I returned to pipe smoking last year after a 20 year hiatus. I have been smoking Smith's Own for about 6 months at a rate of about a pound per month.

I think this is an outstanding English style tobacco, which tends towards a Balkan blend. I find it very well balanced. The aroma of a newly opened tin is fabulous. Another reviewer mentions the presence of Perique. I'm not sure of this; it is more spicey than say Squadron Leader, which I'm smoking today.

I tend to smoke too hot. This is a mistake with this tobacco as doing this ruins the balance and taste. For maximum enjoyment, you must slow down.

My only "complaint" is that this blend makes me smoke too often!

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based.

To this end I ordered (in addition to many other types) 5 blends from Peretti's: Smith?s Own, Century, British Blend, Oriental 40, Omega, & Blend 500.

None of these tobaccos have anything to recommend them, except perhaps the price. Most egregious was the dryness of all of their tobaccos, resulting in a hot smoke that lasted all of 10 minutes when I would normally expect 20-30. Smith?s Own was the best of the lot, but still not recommendable. All blends contained uniformly poor grades of tobacco with little flavor, complexity, or intrigue.

AKSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AKSmoke (18)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Really good, solid choice from Peretti. I'm not a big fan of Perique, and there is a bit in this blend. But it is a judicious amount, just enough to provide that cool Perique undertone and lend a little more nicotine. Smith's Own is well balanced, cool-burning, and has a nice, classic English flavor profile. Great burning qualities, which is really important to me. I smoke this in a superb Peretti brand Canadian I picked up while vacationing in Boston. A match really well made. Give this a go for dependable, affordable, quality English blend.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I was disappointed with this offering from Peretti. It came to me more moist than I like and I should have dried it out some before trying it I must admit (I later tried it more dry and it wasn't much better) This burned ok in the bowl, took quite a few lights to really get it going, this is no big deal to me since I like to really get my tobacco lit well from the get go. Volume of smoke was acceptable and the taste and aroma were ok. At the beginning of the bowl it struck me as being quite acrid on the palate. I thought that the components would all be great together, but it just didn't work well for me. Omega was far better and seemed to be more ladened with latakia than this blend...if that is to your liking. This is reported to have perique in the blend but I really can't detect its presence. Personally, I like a good balance between the latakia and perique, didn't find that to be the case with this one.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (47)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Wow what a smoke! If you like full flavored English blends give this one a go. You won't be disappointed. I purchased several blends from Perettis to try this is so far the very best of all these quality blends. Steve Smith was not blowing his own horn when he commented on my choice of tobacco when ordering this blend. Steve knows how to blend an outstanding full flavor English tobacco.

This blend smells great in the pouch. S.O. has just the right amount of moisture for an English. The blend of quality VA's, Oriental and Turkish is masterfully perfect. Just the right amount of a nice smokey Latikia showcases this blend and makes it an absolute delight for any full English fan. S.O. packs nice and burns complete to a nice mottled grey ash. This blend packs a nicotine wallop and is a great after dinner or evening blend.

I will be calling the good people of L. J. Peretti and ordering more of this blend. I can't wait for my next trip to Boston so I can drop by the shop.