Golden, red and orange Virginias blended to perfection with jet black cavendish, crowned with a wonderful aroma of honey and calvados.

BrandPeterson
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp & Co.
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
Taste
quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I'm being honest here, I really, really want to like this stuff. It smells heavenly in the tin, the best-smelling tobacco I've whiffed. Tonight in my office I just had a hankerin' for an aromatic - which, by the way, I never, ever smoke - so I popped this tin that's been lying around for a year or so and...

...put it up for trade on a forum.

Sorry, I just can't handle aros. The taste is pure chemicals to me. For what it is, I am sure there are some big fans. It smells awesome, and there are some faint hints of that awesome odor in the taste, which keeps it from receiving only one star. But the chemical taste and bite are about as subtle as that time I wrecked my motorcyle and sent my body through a barbed wire fence, bouncing across a frozen pasture 9,000 feet up in the Colorado foothills (true story!). I was thankful I had a helmet on. Tonight I was not so lucky.

Lovers of aromatics will probably really like this, because it has some redeeming qualities. I think.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)

Last year on Christmas eve('08) My wife and I were at my mothers house in Los Altos, Ca. for the Christmas holiday. I managed to sneak away for a couple hours to the local Pipe Shop. While I was enjoying a complimentary pipe full of the house Rum blend and talking it up with the old timers, out of the corner of my eye, on the top shelf collecting dust I noticed two cans of, oh ya, Special Reserve Limited Edition 2006. I gave up on finding this stuff over a year ago and boom, there it was. I had to beg to buy one tin since the shop owner claimed it was his private stock, well, I got one and he kept one. Boy am I glad I did! I will probably never see another tin again, and what a shame that is. Calvados, that's what intrigued me, Calvados, a French apple liquor. The blend of three different Virginias and black Cavendish crowned with Honey and Calvados was simply marvelous! The aroma was fantastic! There is nothing else like it. Strictly for aromatic pipe smokers. No other Peterson even comes close to the unique flavor. I have no way of describing the flavor of the Calvados topping other than, sweet, uniquely flavorful and in total harmony with the tobacco.

I see no reason that this is not an every day offering from Peterson.

Hey yo, Peterson, you have a problem with making money?

Holy Smokes! I didn't know reviewing tobacco could be so scientific. I'm afraid I just grab a pipe, pop the tin, stuff a wad of weed in the chamber, light 'er up and smoke away. The humidity and temp of the leaf depends on what time of year it is down here in Texas (hot and humid or less hot and humid). My taste buds pretty much tell me what I need to know after just a bowlful. I'm just lucky, I guess.

So, with the above caveat in mind; this Peterson's offering is, to me, an aromatic with some decent tobacco flavor tossed in with the sweetners. As you might expect, the leaf is of good quality and burned easily and mostly dry. There was some wet dottle near the bottom, and since I don't slobber when I smoke, I suspect it was the tobacco.

Light aromatic with a whack or two of tobacco taste along with the honey. Not bad.

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (31)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has been my favorite for quite some time and sadly it was a limited edition. The wonderfulness that greets you upon opening the can is just superb- my mouth waters just thinking about it! I contacted Peterson's in Ireland and they recommended these two as possible replacements: Sunset Breeze or Sweet Killarney. I haven't tried either yet to make the comparison.