A subtle mix of Danish dark cavendish, burley and Virginia enriched with matured Samsun from Turkey. Vanilla flavours created the soft sweetness and fruity character of the blend. Rich in contrast and with a perfect balanced of aroma.

BrandStanwell

2.4
CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Excellent tin aroma translates pretty well to flavor in the bowl. Good blending and base tobaccos are evident. After things settle down from the single light after the char, the vanilla (and hint of semi-sweet chocolate?) tone down to a pleasant background, with very good pure tobacco flavors coming through. Smokes cool and dry all the way down. Performs extremely well in the churchwarden. 3+.

Pipe Used: Bjarne Churchwarden, Stanwell, MM

Age When Smoked: Tin date 20-JAN-2012

Purchased From: The Briary, Homewood, AL

SmokeyM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeyM (11)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

>> Update: my taste developed I guess, more towards natural tobaccos. This ones aromatic taste is less favorable. Downgraded to 3 stars.

Great tin note, smells really like Vanilla :-)

Smokes well, not moist at all. For an aromatic it's a good one.

Room note is marvellous. Wife likes it.

You can smoke this all the way down into grey ashes. This is one tobacco I keep coming back to in rotation.

Pipe Used: BigBen Crossly, Chacom Match

Age When Smoked: Fresh - 6 months

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

SouthBound Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SouthBound (10)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Unnoticeable

I usually smoke at least a whole tin of something before I review it. This time, I couldn't bear the olfactory torture. The only taste I could discern from the time I lit the bowl was a sour-vegetable-like note that barely mellowed during the smoke. At first, I thought something I ate caused it. So, I dumped that bowl, and came back to it the next day after a bowl of Kendal Kentucky. The KK tasted like it always does, and the Stanewell Vanilla was still a sour wretched mess. Therefore, based only on 2 half bowls (hey, I'm a coward, okay?) I'm tanking this one. Easily the worst blend I've ever tried.

Pipe Used: cob, briar

Based on how much I liked Malange, and I love MB Vanilla Cream, i thought I would give this a try and expected to really like it. While it is a mild, nice smelling blend that lights very well and stays lit, there is a tartness to it that was very unexpected in a vanilla blend. i think of vanilla blends as very soft with the sweet taste of vanilla wafting through. This one has that but has the added flavor that I am at a loss to identify but it left my mouth very dry and with a sourness on my palette. It is very nice in the tin, a mix of black cavendish a and medium brown in a ribbon cut. It is not neccessary to dry it out and it loadeds very well in my pipe. It is like the Melange where it is not a typical aromatic in that it leaves no moisture or goopiness in the pipe and smokes all the way down the pipe to a fine grey ash. Nothing about the tin aroma eludes to the tartness when smoked, it smells like a vanilla blend should smell. I cannot five it more than two stars though as it just is not what I expected and enjoy. I don't like the tartness at all. But it is a nice quality leaf and if one is predisposed to liking the tartness, it would be a great blend. It that ingredient were left out of the blending, it would be a great one of it's type.

Cragganmore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cragganmore (6)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I started smoking a pipe fairly recently and did so with this tobacco. My original idea of pipe smoking was to smoke aromatics exclusively so as to not plague my surrounding loved ones. I have since then decided on going with a more "to hell with them, I'm smoking what ever I damn well please" approach... but I digress.

The tin offers a almost sickeningly sweet scent with promises of apricots and vanilla. The vanilla carries through in the room note but I struggle to find it in the taste. I get a vaguely fruity taste of undefinably origin mixed in with sugary virginia. Mild and sweet, simply put. A "ok" tobacco in terms of quality, taste and room note... calling it vanilla is a bit of a stretch of the imagination though. I also find that it leaves a very dry, ashen taste in my mouth after I've finished a bowl which isn't all too pleasant.

Pipe hound in PalmSprings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe hound in PalmSprings (9)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is the 1st Stanwell for me and the 1st really great vanilla. Upon opening it was just what I wanted. Not a sickening sweet vanilla but a real vanilla. Not sticky, not hot but just right to get again and keep in rotation.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff compares to Captain Black (no offence intended to CB fans) as fillet mignon compares to leftover mulligan stew. One bowl of Stanwell Melange or Vanilla and you can never go back to OTC crap.

There is something in the blend in addition to vanilla that makes it a bit more complex than other vanilla blends. A previous reviewer suggested it might be a hint of nutmeg. Whatever it is, it makes this stuff luscious.

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I was happy to find Stanwell's Melange, as it was a great replacement for my lost Drew Estate's Grand Central, so I wanted to try another of their products. The tin aroma was a fantastic (though overbearing) mix of vanilla and Fruity Pebbles and I was excited to dive in.

The cut is very rough and filled with all sorts of twigs; packing a bowl was a pain. The large pieces also caused a wonky hot burn that would go out on occasion if not puffed on constantly. The flavor was very close to the initial smell and left a sweetness on the wetness of my mouth.

I'm giving this one 3 stars, but likely won't rebuy it since I found the cut and wonky burn to be frustrating. There are better and more sublime vanilla aromatics out there that don't come with a rolling pin to konk you on the head.

SkySoldier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SkySoldier (9)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This a unique blend in the world of aromatic tobaccos. The casing of vanilla and plum is apparent from the tin note and is very pleasant. This blend smokes VERY cool, and has good flavor. I was able to smoke this blend down to fine grey ash meanwhile my pipe was cool to the touch. Compared to MB Vanilla Cream, I enjoy this blend alot more. Cleanup was easy, and no casing goop at the bottom of the bowl. Coming in at $7.99 for 50g it's an affordable and good smoke. 👌🏽

Pipe Used: Tsuge Ikebana

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.Com

Stanwell - Vanilla.

I love vanilla aromatics so a blend named Vanilla was a no-brainer!

The blend isn't presented as your normal vanilla aromatic, it's not just black, but a selection of black, brown, and bright yellow ribbons. It's been firmly packed into the tin but isn't too moist.

There's quite a lot going on in the smoke, for a vanilla aromatic. Of course, there's vanilla, but that isn't the only flavour. The Samsun gives definite flavour, and is more than just a 'seasoning'. It gives the smoke a floral flavour, more-so after halfway. The Virginia and Burley are a stable addition, but they taste nothing out of the ordinary for what I'd would expect from them. The Cavendish is what surprises me, it isn't 'just' a sticky black Cavendish taste, but much 'fresher' and lighter than normal: honey sweetness and Virginia grass. I can't identify any plums like in the description. On the negative side of things the burn's too warm. And it's a bit of a biter.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Stanwell Vanilla? In a market that's awash with vanilla aromatics one will need to have an exceptional quality to get highly recommended. This is worth two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Atinok Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Three months

Sokkia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sokkia (3)

the taste and flavor just nice to me, i just found little vanilla in this blend. this one smells very good in the tin and the room note is good

Pipe Used: Ebony Bent (D Brand)

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: Kedai Serbaneka Lam Chuan Heng

sjdugi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sjdugi (22)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

First tobacco I ever smoked! Really loved the smell of it; vanilla of course but also a bit of chocolate and rum raisins. An aromatic that certainly won't disappoint.

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Stanwell Vanilla is one of those cased Black Cavendish based mixtures often recommended to beginners. I find the type of casing fruitier than for instance in Danske Club Vanilla and equally subtle. Very mild, creamy, smooth, easy to handle and a room note like freshly made cookies will suit what especially starters might be looking for; however, it can feel like flavored cardboard to the experienced smoker. The addition of Turkish makes it stand out a little amongst the vanillas, providing that subtle tart note.

For a more intense vanilla or honey toppings look at Sutliff Molto Dolce or Dan Tobacco offerings such as Sweet Vanilla Honey Dew. My personal holy vanilla grail is Frank’s VA Flake Vanilla.

Pipe Used: Various with and without filter

Age When Smoked: fresh to 2 yrs

Stagr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stagr (5)

A very nice selection of tobacco scented with vanilla in a very nice proportion. Smokes dry and quite cool and the taste goes almost through out the bowl. It is a little bit hard to light due to its cut, but when it gets started there is no problem. Leaves a small mess in the bowl and filter an odd stickiness in the bowl mostly. Pleasant and familiar room note, without any ghosting of the pipe. Overall a good vanilla tobacco for the aromatics fan, easy to find, reasonably priced that could have a place in smokers rotation.

Pipe Used: Hilson

scottser32 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottser32 (1)

this is my first tobacco, iv only started smoking and i have fallen in love with this its really nice, its a very easy smoking tobacco. the smell from the pack is a little sickly but once lit and smoking its lovely, i have also tried provost which is highly recommended and using this a comparison i think its quality, very different yes but i think id pick it over the provost, this may because im only a new smoker. definitly recommend this to new smokers or anyone who loves an aromatic

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)

I smoke that from the beginning as a "sidekick" for other blends. The cut is straight, taste the same as very mild vanilla, V good enough, burley great, turkish unnoticeable,cav at the end of the bowl always... Is good for relaxing times and decent meetings. No punch,no tong bite (even in short pipes), no eyes widening, somehow a polite puff all around. In a lazy afternoon is one of the best boredom time distraction. PS. let it dry a little in the bowl and will burn evenly to the end.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I honestly expected a stronger vanilla smell/taste with this tobacco. I had tried Melange a couple of months ago and loved it, so I thought I'd try a vanilla. Smells sweet and nice in the tin, though, as I said not very vanilla-y. Tastes great though it does bite if you're not careful, especially in a smaller bowl. But to me it tastes like Melange without so much apricot flavor. Of course I still have not learned to taste properly, maybe I have really dull taste buds. I still can't taste any the flavors my peers claim to taste at wine tastings, and I've been drinking wine for decades. Anyway, I do know what I like, and this is a good tasting tobacco, though probably I will stick to the Melange when I want a sweet smoke.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)

Strange. An interesting and pleasant smoke yet not a knock out. The label says "vanilla" but the smell of the trobaco in the tin is fruity: Apricot, coconut a touch of orange and vanilla. Smokes well with little to no tongue bite. Not a goopy cased blend. The smoking taste is balanced between the fruity/vannila and the tobacco taste which is enjoyable for those who like tobacco. ;-) Strange tart finish to the puff and eventually the bowl. Does taste a bit like vannila when smoked but the dominant flavor is fruity. While it might not have a predominant vanilla taste that's not necessarily a bad thing in a pipe world of a million vanilla blends. (Because my tin tastes so "fruity", I am wondering if my tin of "Vanilla" was mislabeled and is really a tin of "melange." I'll know for sure when I test the tin of "melange" in my cellar.)

A very nice, smooth enjoyable aromatic which deserves a solid three stars especially for the currennt market price.

Update: I am now smoing some "melange" and I can say Stanwell's "vanilla" blend tastes fruitier than their fruity blend "melange". Go figure!

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

After trying Melange and being happy with it, tried Stanwell's Vanilla and am quite happy with it. I enjoy aromatics and this one is quite nice. Lights up easily, burns down to ash, and the tin aroma is great. Will bite you if you puff on the pipe too fast, best to take your time with this blend. Great vanilla taste, still plenty of tobacco taste to make you happy as well. I will be keeping this tobacco in my regular rotation, not too pricey, tastes good, and is easy to find. Not really seeing a downside.

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As a rule, I really do not enjoy flavored tobacco or Cavendish blends. This is the exception to the rule. It smokes cooly, evenly and tastes great. It is almost like smoking dessert. An added bonus, most folks will comment that it smells great.

CLRV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CLRV (14)

After having a success with Stanwell's Melange, I decided to order a tin of vanilla to give it a try. Really very pleased. It is what it says it is, vanilla. I prefer the melange, since it's more complex, but for a smooth vanilla smoke, this is great.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (40)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Do you like tobacco? If so, you will not like this! This is identical to Skandinavik Vanilla in appearance, smell and flavor. It is a bit sticky, overwhelmingly sweet and the casing tastes almost unnatural like diesel exhaust.

I love a good quality aromatic now and then. This is not one of them. This is generic fruit flavored candy with some salt, habanero pepper, lots of sugar, bus fumes and maybe a drop of butterscotch. Enjoy!

Wilhelm Joharsányi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wilhelm Joharsányi (33)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

This blend made me quit smoking aromatics. It has an extremely artificial flavor, starts off with a pleasant vanilla taste, then an absurdly strong citric taste hits your mouth, leaving an unpleasant after-taste that will linger for hours. After trying the Melange flavor, I was looking forward to this blend, but was very disappointed.

Pipe Used: Diplomat Corn Cob Pipe

Age When Smoked: 0-1

Stuttgarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stuttgarter (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a good blended aromatic, you will love it! It is something you can smoke all day, mainly because it burns cool and doesn't make the bowl too moist. It leaves just a white ash, awesome to build cake!

The room note is very pleasant, well balanced. The flavour is sweet but not overwhelming, smoking in a normal pace doesn't bite. The taste is very enjoyable, even if you don't like aromatics, it lasts and remains sweet till the end of the bowl. It is not strong at all, it's actually the only thing I miss in this blend. You can also add some pure virginia and light it up ;)

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Vanilla blends are generally not my cup of tea. This blend is quite pleasant. To me as I smoke future into it, it seems to me that the topping is masking the taste of lesser quality of tobacco that I expect in a tin.

Braed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Braed (18)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The smell out of the pouch is very sweet and pleasant. The tobacco is a little bit wet. Just dry it a bit. There are no tongue bites and the tobacco burns very slow and cool. It is very mild. The taste of vanilla comes when you smoke it. The roomnote is very pleasant. Smells lovely. I will have this tobacco AS one of my all day smoke ones.

Pipe Used: Stanwell No. 207

Horvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horvat (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is an excellent blend, with a smooth and rich aroma. However, i can't really taste the vanilla, only that fruity, candish taste. It leaves a good retrogust, fine gray ash, and it doesn't bite. Nice quality, nice aroma, 3 stars from me! Edit: I dont know what happend with the tobacco, I dried it a little before smoking, because it was too moisty, and it needs a lot of relights now! I tried it in bigger bowls, medium bowls, but same, min. 5 relights..

Purchased From: drugstore

ing.poparadu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ing.poparadu (14)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A pleasant, very mild tobacco, with an aromatic vanilla taste.

It is best smoked in combination with the 5 o'clock cup of tea because it brings a great addition to the tea's aroma.

This tobacco's weak point is the fact that it burns too fast.

2/4

Pipe Used: Danske Club nr. 84

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

meanska Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanska (11)

A pleasant aromatic, great with morning coffee. The vanilla note is very subdued, in my opinion. I smoked this in a pipe dedicated to milder aromatic blends. Not sure I'd purchase again (others out there in this same vein which I enjoy more), but I definitely wouldn't turn down a free tin!

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (44)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I get the same unpleasant sour / tart mouth sensation a few other reviewers have mentioned. Akin to holding a battery to my tongue when I was a kid. Also just too mild for my liking. The room note is quite good but not up there with the best. Definitely prefer the excellent Stanwell Melange to this.

pylorns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylorns (14)

This is my first tin of stanwell vanilla, and I have another in reserve. The tin note is very fruity and only a hint of vanilla. The tobacco is noticiably dryer than many aromatics and comes off as more plum, apricot, and peach wiffs. The charing light went out fast, and took a few relights to get it to stay lit. The vanilla when smoked can be found here and there but its just not very strong. I won't say that's a bad thing either but its not what I expected.

Pipe Used: Peterson System

Age When Smoked: 1 month or less

Purchased From: Pipe Guys

Very Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Update: this blend is too much cased with sugar that turned it into unpleasant taste, the vanilla flavor is not that good, for a true vanilla blend; try MB Vanilla Cream which I find much superior.

Original This is a very well crafted Vanilla aromatic blend, it is sweet, smooth, nutty and buttery, it burns dry and cool with an outstanding natural vanilla flavor and it has a wonderful room aroma.

PipeLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeLover (16)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I have over 50 tins of tobacco, most reviewed blends, this is one of them. And to my surprise, its good. Good tasting vanilla, and believe me I have tasted most of them. Very sweet tasting, very good room note, most authentic vanilla taste so far, although I like Mac Barens vanilla blends better. A hint of citrus mystery surprise, burns hot in small bowls, but overall very good. I will buy. I like Danish blends the most. Give it a try.

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)

To me this is one of the best all around Vanillas in the market, definitely, when you talk about blends that are available at the Tobacco Store. I do prefer Pipeworks & Wilke's Blend No. 191 Honey- Vanilla for my taste, although this tobacco is a good quality blend that will not disappoint you by burning your tongue or tasting like horse manure at the end of your bowl. Enjoy it!

FALCON Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FALCON (12)

to strong flavoring its fruity but i not find vanilla its something else.not buying again.

pDzine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pDzine (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

If you are looking for a strong 'tobacco' flavor, look elsewhere.

While in Uhle's the other day, they had a sample available. I loaded up while perusing the pipe selection and picking up some cleaners. I walked out of the store with the last tin.

The aroma in the tin is great. A light vanilla with citrus back: orange creamsicle comes to mind. Though a little too moist at first, after about a week, this has reached a nice moisture level that really allows for a cool, flavorful smoke.

Upon lighting I was pleased with the delicate flavor. There is a citrus note that I can't identify, more tart than sweet, with the vanilla coming in nicely. About midway through the bowl, the flavor in full-swing, the vanilla is still there, though the citrus is gone. You can start to taste the burley coming through at the back end; a toasted coconut flavor. It rounds out with the tartness coming back in and a nice creamy coconut vanilla top note.

The room note is complimentary and you won't get any complaints from non-smokers.

This is a white wine of pipe tobaccos, good with fish or light conversation - complex in it's own right, but boring if rushed or approached with the wrong expectations. I might cellar a tin just to see what will happen, but it would be a while before I brought it back into rotation.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I was a little disappointed with this one, it tasted alot like the melange but burned hotter. It packed poorly and i found it a little dry.It did have a lovely aroma in the pouch and room. Dont think ill buy it again.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I stopped off at the tobacco shop today to pick up some real tobacco and they were passing out free samples of this, so I just had to give it a shot, even though I never smoke aromatics. It's not that I hate them, it's just that they never seem to deliver on the flavor. Oh the smoke smells, but the taste is usually foul with unmentionable chemicals in the same way as a cheap cigarette. This one is certainly no exception, towing the line to a tee. My daughter said it smelled like vanilla, but my wife said it smelled more like cotton candy. I'd have to agree with my wife, the scent is somewhere off the vanilla note in a bad way. The only silver lining is that I think I did smell the samsun for a bare instant and it might not have been bad. Makes you wonder if this would be a good blend without the flavoring. I really don't see why they bothered with Virginia and Samsun, though, all you can really taste is the sickening flavoring. I'll take a pass on this one next time, even if it's free.