A perfect combination of Perique, Turkish, Burleys, and buttered rum. A very smooth and satisfying smoke.

BrandMilan Tobacconists
3.1
Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Tolerable

Now I remember getting the orignal London Dock at Woolworth in the ealry 1980's. And no matter when I bought it it was dried out. Needlesss to say I did not let this blend go to waste. I use to pack up a bowl A.S.A.P. while walking and have people tell me why that pipe smells great. I later whent to a blend from Del la Concha Tobacconist Marbella. But after smoking this blend for many years I found it to be moist and to much casing. I was smoking more English blends but I also wanted a good rum english blend that was aromatic to switch off to and use a s my everyday smoke.So tenty five years later I then remembered that I use to smoke London Dock but found out it was no longer in production. I looked and found found Milan Tobacconist online and found out that they had their version of LD. This is a real good match to the original I think even a better. And it is never dried out always fresh. The Rum flavor is not over powering but pleasant and the Perque adds the right ammount of fragrance to this blend and gives this blend the zest it needs. The burley is soft as silk. I love this blend it is my favorite and always smoke it. I buy it by the pound. Now I tell Rene at Milan to Kick it up a notch by addding more Rum and add much more Perique. Which he dose for me. Either way this is a great blend. And from time to time I let a little get dried out for old times sake.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a nice ribbon-cut blend of Turkish, Burley and some Perique with a subtle but superb buttered rum flavoring. It reminds me of the old classic "London Dock" but the Milan interpretation seems to be a high-grade version of the original.

Upon opening the bag one is greeted with a scent of a fine rumcake that was freshly baked at a boutique bakery. The leaf is light and fluffy with just enough moisture content to make it pliable but not stick together.

At the initial light, the flavoring greets you then makes way for the nutty burleys to introduce themselves. One of the primary characteristics of this blend is it's smoothness. It is like silk. Smoother than a used car salesman's pitch. The flavoring of the buttered rum is content to sit subtly in the background while the Burley and Turkish work together in the foreground. The Perique makes an occasional appearance but it is restrained from taking center stage. The flavors remain consistent throughout the bowl without that "end of the bowl" harshness. The room note is one that even non-smokers will love.

Overall, "Our London Dock" is a wonderfully balanced blend that provides a very smooth smoke that never bites. It loads in the pipe with little effort, burns slow and cool and smokes down to the heel of the pipe with minimal maintenance on the smoker's end. It leaves the bowl clean and dry. The combination of the flavors, the room note and the smoothness actually provide a very calming effect. I enjoy this most with a favorite hot beverage, a good book and a comfortable place to stretch out.

jmartindale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmartindale (22)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you enjoy English blends, this one could easily be dismissed if one was to just look at it in a pouch and take a whiff. Yep, you'd say, that's just another me-too, overly sweet, mild aromatic.

So, imagine my surprise when I opened my zip lock and... thinking just that....I packed my pipe and hoped for the best. Well, hope is a good thing because Our London Dock is a fine smoke with some non-aromatic qualities.

It is indeed smooth, but this mixture has some character in the form of Perique - not lots mind you, but enough weaving in and out to keep your interest. The oriental component puzzels me - I didn't notice it - I did notice plenty of Burley which, during hot summer days, is not a bad thing.

I find it quite mild - definitely an all day smoke if you are so inclined. Nicotine content seems minimal. If you're looking for a blend that satisfies in one bowl - this ain't it. It comes a tad moist, but it's smokable right out of the bag. I've also dried it out for an hour with similar results.

It smokes dry and leaves a dry bowl, yet the dottle is damp, so its rather unlikely that you'll be able to effortlessly smoke the entire bowl. There's no bite and it finishes clean - it also leaves my mouth a little dry, so you may want to sip something as you puff along.

A fine and light aromatic blend!

jlinge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlinge (17)

My notes encompass the original "London Dock" and Milan's effort for more clarity.

London Dock was my very first pipe tobacco when I started in 1960 (yeah, I'm that old!) and my liking of this tobacco is affected by a lot of nostalgia. The package note was rum, but the Perique added a pleasant, papery balance to the smoke. It lit easily, but often reduced to a slight goo at the bottom of a bowl. The rum casing was evident throughout much of the smoke, but the Perique and Turkish balanced the sweetness. I miss it. It was very popular. I do not understand why Middleton discontinued the blend in favor ordinary run-of-the-mill aromatics (maybe it was some mindless accountant's justification) and I wrote them and requested, begged, and pleaded for its continuance. "No way", I was told.

The Milan version is only an attempt. While it's not too bad, it is affected too much by the "baked cake/cookie" casing that seems to be found in so many tobacconist blends of today. That sweetness overrides the rum/Perique nature of their offering and the Burley seems to predominate. It packs easily and most often burns down to a gooey residue. There is occasional bite. Its room note is sugary, and there is little spiciness from the Turkish. I can say this with some certainty because I still have three unopened canisters of the original London Dock carefully laid away and the one that I finished a short time ago was uniquely London Dock, Milan's doesn't compare.

Eventually, I will finish all three canisters. I'll be very sad, but maybe Middleton will take pity by then. But I doubt it.

Sigh.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)

Imagine Milan has figured out that an aromatic can be made with quality tobacco and have some nicotine in it!! The batch I received is still alittle wet - needs some airing time. However, this is my second Milan blend and I am thoroughly happy with their blends so far. I do favor Jefferson Street over this one, personally.

1st 1/4: There is this flavor through out the bowl of semi sweet chocolate/rum which is very nice room note but adds alittle to much to the burlies bitterness and can be more like bitter chocolate/rum.

Mid bowl: The perique steps in and says, "How are ya?!" and with it the nicotine crashes this aromatic/burly party. Still, all learn how to play nice and you get tastes and aromas ranging from Rum, Chocolate, Vanilla, pepper, and nutty burly.

Bottom of bowl: The casing or topping is a ghost now just very light in the background. You are now smoking a Burly/Perique with some tasty turkish boldness.. wonderful smoke!!!

I would have given this 4 stars for the quality of tobacco, the room note and the nic level being very good and worth the $ - but the PG level at first is bitter. I will try drying more and see if this changes and I will update.

Over all and good aromatic (with nicotine!!)

====================================================================================== UPDATE 2/28/07 Bringing down to 2 stars just for the PG level I have to dry out and that ticks me off

This is a classic mild aromatic from the nice folks at Milan Tobacco in Virginia. There really isn't anything out there like it in my experience. Burley, Turkish and Perique blends are not common. The rum is a nice touch.

I really enjoyed this with some Irish breakfast tea on a cool morning. The customer service at Milan is top notch. It burned quite cool, and the Perique is there, but not strong.

Others have told me it isn't exactly like the old blend Middleton made. Some have told me this is better. It matters not a jot to me, as I never had the original. All I can tell you is that I liked it a whole bunch. In fact, I'm thinking of ordering some more...

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

IMO, this is one of the best rum tobaccos you can smoke. Turkish burleys and perique make this a mild English aromatic. This is a pleasant change from most rum tobaccos that usually are burley & VA. The rum flavor stays in the background and is not overly sweet, and the perique adds a little spice to the flavor. No bite or goop. The room note is very pleasant, and it makes a great all day smoke.

Renee at Milan even offered to send me a sample before I ordered and 1/2lb. They are an excellent company to order from. My shipment arrived in 3 days.

I agree with the other reviews that it's hard to believe that Middleton drop this blend from their line, considering some of the tobaccos they did keep. This one was a winner! The other reviews for this tobacco are under "London Dock by Middleton".

Since it's been 35+ years since I've had London Dock, I can't compare. This is a fairly smooth, mild, light aromatic. Sweetish more than sweet; no goop, either. The underlying tobaccos are present as much as the flavorings. I can just taste the orientals but may be imagining the hints of perique.

Joe G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe G (5)

Nothing out of the ordinary but a mild, pleasant smoke. Nice aroma. No bite. Recommended.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Mild Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

1. I have never tried the original london dock 2. I'm not a aromatic smoker although I can appreciate a good one.

The description of the blends says Turkish, burley, perique flavored with rum, right?, well... there is definetly turkish and the most wimpy burley ever produced, the perique is not noticeable, i'm willing to bet is not real perique but more of the kentucky leaves they try to pass as perique; the taste of rum it is indeed very noticeable as well as the goop that this blends leaves on the briar; I found it best to be smoked on a corn cob, now don't get me wrong this blends do have some positives, the taste of rum is very noticeable as long as you smoke very slow, the turkish part of the blend is really smooth. The only reason why this is getting 2 stars instead of 1 is that for the aromatic crowd this will probaly be one of the best aromatics quality wise that you can buy, me personally when a manufacturer puts in his despritions burley and perique, I want to taste the burley and the perique!

so here is my final review: it gets 1 star if you are a burley smoker, 2 stars if you are a turkish tobacco fanatic, 3 stars if you looking for a high quality aromatic tobacco.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The "Original" London Dock is gone forever. I smoked it in the 60's and 70's on and off. It was my uncle's favorite pipe tobacco for decades.

In my opinion, the "original" contained "Rose Water Flavoring" in addition to Rum. It was the "roses" that kept me away from LD as my favorite smoke. Otherwise, I thought it had the most exceptional pouch aroma of all time.

Milan's "Our" London Dock is not similar. However, in that respect it is the "Original" minus what I did not like! Milan's presents an exceptional mild aromatic with good tobacco taste and aroma. If you are searching this is worth a try! In addition, the folks at Milan offer outstanding customer service and I recommend them to you!

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)

I purchased Our London Dock from Milans (along with Lucky Leaf) because I was looking for a light cased aromatic blend to satisfy my fiancee's nose. Our London Dock does have a light aromatic taste, although it did taste somewhat flat to me. This is probably due to the fact that I have gotten used to English blends (Sultan's Blend, mmmmmm!). I did detect the rum flavor, and it was light (again, it may be the English familiarity). I would say that this is a good blend. Milan's is my "go to" for my pipe tobacco, and there hasn't been one blend from them that I haven't enjoyed at least somewhat. Our London Dock is no different. I would, however, recommend it to the aromatic smoker, as they would probably gather more joy out of it.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

Let me start by saying that I partial to Rum blends. When I saw the tin description on this blend I was fascinated. Turkish Burleys and Perique. I don't believe I've ever seen that blend of tobacco, especialy in an aromatic. No cavendish, I guess that makes this an English aromatic. I had to try it. I'm glad I did. This is a unique and wonderful blend, nicely sweet but the tobacco rules. A nice combination of flavors that odly enough reminded me of a fine Honduran cigar with sweet, malty, chocolaty dark flavors. Our London Dock, OH YAA !!!

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)

This is as close to the old London Dock that was produced by Middleton years ago. In fact, I think it's a little better. Stays lit, smokes cool, and is relatively dry. Not recommended for beginners as it does burn the toungue a bit. Puff gently!