Even today, many ardent followers in the world of the paranormal believe that the power of the infamous Marie Laveau extends beyond the grave. A belief in magic is not a prerequisite for enjoying this unique English Blend of Mocha Slices, Latakia, and Perique.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.1
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I see some reviewers are mixed in their opinions about how much perique is in this blend. The one who thinks this is 35% to 40% perique must be extremely sensitive to it, because the perique content is much lighter than that. I find it to be just a little more than a condimental addition; enough to spice up your taste buds, but not enough to overtake the other flavors. I taste the smokey latakia more than I do the perique. The Virginia is light and almost a non-factor, but it does give a light balance to the overall smoke. The burley is semi-sweet with a touch of earthy quality to it. The chocolate-coffee taste is very obvious and quite enjoyable, and somewhat tames the perique. It makes this nearly an all day smoke if you're into this kind of blend. Burns perfectly and cooly all the way to the bottom with no goop. I've smoked it in briars, smoked it in meers, and it's a winner every time with every puff. The various flavors work very well together to make a pleasing mixture for English and non-English smokers alike.

Edit, May 2014: I just smoked a fresh batch, and I noticed that the latakia plays less of a role in it than in the batch I smoked last fall. Also, the perique is more noticeable in this batch, which matches up a little more to some reviewers who were more sensitive to it than I was. Obviously, fresh versus not fresh makes a difference.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Like perique? Lots of perique? Great! Then jump on board and lets go for a ride.

First, what's in the bag? Seems to be a three part mixture:

1. A rubbed flake similar to Rattrays Old Gowrie, this must be the "Mocha Slices". (Cake Cut - Burley, Virginia, and Turkish with Dutch flavorings added.)

2. The smoky latakia. Big chunks as in Count Pulaski with the same full smell of campfire.

3. Other stuff that may be broken parts of the first or perhaps some of the Perique, Spicy and pungent, sweet and saucy.

The smell is full, rich with the smell of perique, medium latakia smokiness and some topping similar to the anise and rum in Count Pulaski (also seems to be in Sutliffe #5). The rest is? Who cares!

We ain't goin to see an opera at the Met baby, this is Daytona Beach spring break. High compression V8's at red line, the heady smell of racing fuel. Spicy cajun cookin, hot crawfish with lots of red pepper and tobasco sauce. You be in the south now honey. Get the coon hounds and lets go huntin. Ever been to New Orleans Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras? (prior to hurricane Katrina). Well, this is the closest you will get.

Light this puppy up and the perique and latakia great you graciously, a hint of chocolate and coffee as the mocha slices offer a warm welcome. This blend starts out smooth and mild, and ends with your mouth on fire. Sweaty forehead hot, need an ice water hot. Florida in August 105 degrees and 100% humidity hot. Strip off your clothes hot!

Actors on a stage is not the analogy for this blend. This is Cirque Du Soleil in Orlando. The action all around you. Dancers, acrobats, jugglers, music, lights, trapeze, and one arm hand stands 30 feet in the air. All the flavors of rum, latakia, chocolate, coffee, virginia, anise and the rest are there to be enjoyed, but sooner or later the perique takes over. Then the heat starts and all the other flavors go away. Your tongue will light up, along with your lips. Don't confuse the heat of the perique with tongue bite. There is no tongue bite because it stays lit so you don't have to puff like a steam engine. It stays cool, but gets spicy hot.

Is it like Old Gowrie, 2105 or Beacon? Hell no, this is better. More perique, less nasty sharp or bitter virginia. Smooth, high quality. Rich latakia for flavor, a great rough cut you can play with, and that mesmerizing flash of anise and rum flavor unique to Altadis. Super weed, almost as good as a blast of codeine. (oops, scratch that last comment).

Will I smoke it every day? No. But I don't eat pepperoni pizza with a cold Bud every day either. But when the need hits I got to have it.

This is like two weeks of vacation before I retired, I would not miss it for the world, and like a vacation, I do not want the grinding boredom of "sophistication".

Dis be an island smoke mon, hot, sultry glistening with sweat, sexy, the Voodoo Queen. Oh, and by the way, we don't care how you did it up north.

Need more flavor? For you Grabow fans, soak your filter in Captain Morgan 100 proof spiced rum.

Marker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marker (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I really enjoy this blend. The only reason I don't give it 4 stars is the viginias don't come out in the blend for me and the perique is muted.

The smoky latakia is primary to me. The burley rests on your tongue. I get the perique if I puff a little faster but at normal cadence doesn't bring it out as much as I would like. The smoky rich taste is very good. The burley adds some sweetness to the blend. Burns extremely well without much prep time (about 5 minutes or less is what I prep this).

If you like a fuller smoky taste with some burley flavor and a no nonsense burn I think the blend would be for you.

pchitti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pchitti (1)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Very light on the Latakia, my proper englishman has a much smokier latakia mix.

Really love this blend though, so far its my favorite out of very limited experience.

William88Briar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William88Briar (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

This tobacco is a wonderful way to mix it up. And perfect for hot summer nights. I personally think that I taste more perique than Latakia, so ill add a couple pinches of a blend that is heavy on the Latakia side to give it more the smokey quality I like.(I'd love to know if anyone else noticed the lack of Latakia .) T quality of the baccy changes extremely towards the last half of the bowl. It gets sweeter and more tangy!You get a coffee/tea zang with a bitter dark chocolate vibe. Very pleasant. I can't wait to enjoy this blend on a hott July night after a great dinner , with an iced glass of sweet tea. Over all really enjoyable smoke.

Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

Great non-standard English. There is a subtle chocolate-coffee flavor, but the main feature is Latakia, with a pleasant Perique background.

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I have dabbled very little in English blends, but this has got me begging for more. Though this is not specifically English, it is still amazing.

Upon false lighting I was immediately taken in back the smokiness of the Latakia, a wonderful fragrance. I proceeded to tamp and light for the second time and was amazed by how well this tobacco lights and expands. It expanded so much in fact, that I needed to tamp and light for a third time. This did not bother me, as I was desperately waiting for the flavors to wisk me away...and that they did!

For the first third of the bowl, I was greeted with a smokey/tangy flavor, I am guessing this is the Latakia and "Mocha slices". The flavor is just amazing, albeit I did not actually detect mocha or coffee. No matter.

As the bowl smoked down, I was seduced, entirely, by the spiciness of the Perique, as it mingled with the other flavors. This stuff is gonna do me in, I can feel it!

The Latakia took to the background as the sweetness of the VA/Burley cascaded the spiciness into a somber tang.

I had to tamp a bit as I smoked, the tobacco produces large chunks of ash that need breaking up, given the slices pressed format. (I'm guessing at that.) No relights, no bite, no regrets. Also burns a tad bit unevenly, but it was my first bowl, so who knows...

...but...

I am in love with the Voodoo Queen.

This is going to be a regular for me, and a re-order for sure.

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Talk about being surprised!

A Co-worker of mine introduced me to Voodoo Queen. Wow! Smooth smokey latakia, peppery Perique and a Mocha flavor you can taste that really works with and compliments the tobacco. Smokey Spicy Mocha. Great mouth feel, no bite, plenty of flavor and aroma. Quality Tobacco and a very pleasant and unique smoke. Way to go Altadis!

Scardinoz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scardinoz (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I must say that I did not expect this out of an Altadis blend. I opened the pouch and smelled what can be best compared to spicy gumbo. There was a notable amount of spice with a mellow undercurrent of earthy tones. It took a few tries to light this tobacco before it would give me a good burn. Ir started out mild with mostly earth and subtle coffee notes coming out. It soon graduated to a profile of chili powder and lime that you could tell was just starting to get comfortable. As this was beginning to remind me of Mexican food, the lime notes receded to a backup role and the chili pepper took control. This pipe tobacco covered my mouth with the spicy zing of Cajun food to the point that I needed a glass of water. Its intensity continued to increase until it abruptly dropped off at the end. Until the last puff of smoke had escaped my pipe, I sat at the edge of my seat waiting to see what would come next. This blend did not come out with the intention of pleasing everyone. I'm sure there are many who will not appreciate the bold, spicy character.

The Pipesmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Pipesmith (6)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I started enjoying this one several years ago and still enjoy it on an occasional basis. I generally don't care much for strong English style tobacco blends - too much latakia turns me off. But I do love perique. This blend is perfect to me for those times where I feel in the mood for the style. It is a bit coarse, but working with the tobacco to get it into form is part of the ritual that makes pipe smoking fun for me. I love the aroma, but most people I've smoked it around hate it - and some have been quite "vocal" about it. I haven't had much trouble with bite, but I do notice the distinct peppery zing of perique. For me, it seems plenty complex, and I prefer to smoke it when I can focus on it more - its not something I pick up when I'm outside doing yard work, for example. There doesn't seem to be a lot of nicotine, but I prefer tobacco that way - nicotine is not why I choose to smoke.

This one will continue to be a part of my occasional tobacco's for hopefully many more years to come.

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)

Whenever I'm in New Orleans I always make a point to drop in on Armando Ortiz's Crescent City Cigar Shop on Orleans Ave. in the French Quarter (directly behind St. Louis Cathedral). He has a good supply of pipe tobacco as well as cigars, and you're always welcome to sit and smoke. Along with several other tobaccos I picked up I had to get a couple of ounces of Voodoo Queen.

The jar note did say (though faintly) English, but I don't think this tobacco tastes or smells English at all. I would consider it a natural aromatic. There does seem to be a light flavoring but the taste and aroma are all natural. The initial taste as I blow it out of my mouth is a mildly sweet cream, but that dissolves into a spicy sweet followed by a tanginess. I know everyone else says it's a one-note tobacco but this is what I experience when I smoke it. The sweetnesses to it are all tobacco, not something added on top. At least it tastes that way to me. The after taste reminds me of what I get after drinking strong coffee with cream and sugar. The aroma is quite nice also, but if someone is a tobacco hater they won't like it.

Beware; it IS for sipping and will bite if you try to guzzle it.

Pack it loosely and you shouldn't have any trouble keeping it lit.

The Virginias seem to carry the flavor more than the other tobaccos, though they do make their presence known, and do add to the overall positive effect I get from smoking this blend.

Some people have said that the differing review you see on Altadis blends is proof of their inconsistency. I don't think this is the case. I've found them to be quite consistent whenever I get the same blend of theirs from different sources. I think the differing reviews are an indication that different people have different tastes and life different things. You will, after all, find differing reviews on every tobacco on this site that has accumulated any number of reviews. If we all filled our bowls from the very same jar I think we'd find just as much diversity in our reactions.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Strong

I have never met a tobacco, or a pipe, that I didn't like. Somewhere, out there, is the perfect combination of pipe and leaf.

And this is born out by recent experience with Voodoo Queen. I keep a jar around and periodically dip in -- for about a year now, each time I try it I swear off it forever. Bity, one-notish -- pretty well everything you can say about a tobacco that would indicate one didn't like it.

Finally found the match -- a no-name used pipe off ebay; nothing fancy, medium sized Dublin. There's the queen, sitting in an old Davidoff tin. Put the two together, and suddenly I am smoking a whole new Voodoo Queen. The top note comes out, virtually no bite and a great taste of the previously elusive mocha slices. Still don't know quite what they are.

Still pretty intense in the flavour department, and can't quite be sure what is in it. This will probably never be at the top of my list of favourites, but smoked in this particular pipe, it really is a decent baccer.

Fellow pipers, check those one-star reviews here on TR, dig out your pipes, and start sampling. Sooner or later, you are guaranteed to find the right match, and another three or four-star tobacco.

Also recommend trying this one in a cob. Something happens to it in a cob, and you can taste a lot of the flavours.

tobacco wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tobacco wolf (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This one is weird for me. It was a blend that grew on me unexpectedly. When you first smell it .... well, to me it smells like beef jerky and gun powder. Sort of fitting for it's name. I was almost certain I would hate it, but the more I smoke it the more I like it. It's probably not for everyone, and at first smell you think it might be a novelty.

Other than that, it's a good smoke. It's not got big nicotene kick that you would expect. And it doesn't have a bad taste either.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Saw so many reviews I had to try this. Bought 4oz. for a test and am well pleased. The exotic name does not match this baccy for me, too much of a neutral Balkan flavor.

Good: No sticks, just the right moisture as delivered, packs well, lots of nice Balkan flavor, smokes cool, no sign of a bite, goes to the bottom with no defying strength increase or gurgles, no real need for relights once it gets going, no bad after odors or taste left in pipe.

Bad: Just a little too coarse cut - needs a little extra rubbing to get it down to size (Use pipestud's method with a blender). Probably too much sugar - keeps getting crusty around the side of the bowl and needs constant attention with the tamper/scraper. Although the room note is nice for me, the wife can't stand it (as with all Balkan and English blends).

This is definitely a keeper and I will be ordering more. Reminds me a lot of Larry's blend, Our Best Blend and Margate.

CaptinBlackLung Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptinBlackLung (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Just the name says "try me" a very Scary/Cool name. seems "organic" in flavoring not synthetic... the taste seemed bland to begin but with smoking I have come to enjoy this smoke might just have to pick up some more of this stuff... That is unless I find something better. Smells veryfunny in the bag though, smoke is sweet smelling and tasting. ribbon cut however makes me feel like im a 17 year old smoking green crack when I have to break it up. But I find the some of the better tobaccos are processed and packaged this way.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you are an English smoker and looking for something with just a touch of sweetness that is also a great smoke, look no further. This was recommended to me by a friend. After getting it in the bowl and lighting up (it lights fairly easily) I was immediately reminded of New Orleans. It has a sweet and spicy taste that compliments the flavors one of associates with English tobaccos. The perique isn't strong, but apparent. Nice latakia flavor, but again, not too strong. There is a flake in the mixed that is primarily virgina that burns better than most flake I have encountered. It also seems to have higher nicotine content than my other regular blends. It was definitely worth the venture.

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked this bag up at a local tobacco shop. It was the only bag left and the name sparked my curiosity. I took a whiff of the bag and could tell it was an English blend, but I could sense that there was more, so for $3.25 I walked out the door with this.

I can definitely tell where some people would generate the negative reviews of this blend. It does have a slight tongue bite and there is a slight bitter aftertaste, but it is nothing stronger than a dark chocolate may leave. All in all it is not the best or even close, but I will have no problems finishing the bag. The room note is pleasant for an English blend. I call this mediocre.

I recommend this to those looking for a cheap English tobacco to smoke at times when they are not trying to relax.

Cheers.

forestfires123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
forestfires123 (4)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well,

I have read so many good reviews of this one that i thought I would give the voodoo queen a go. I have had better- whether I paid for it or not. In my case, the first time was free.

The worst of it- i was smoking my first bowl out of this with a cob (i do this for any altadis or aromatic tobacco) and when i was near the end of the bowl i smelled a fart. Now, if i were about 100 years old i would not know which it was, me or the queen. Since i am under 30, i know it was not me. I stuck my nose in the pipe and YUUUUCK. Some people might be into that kind of thing, just not me.

I regained my strength and came back to the queen a few days later for another go-round and she treated me with a little more dignity. I haven't decided what I will do with my remaining 1.5 oz. The queen is flat, impolite, hot tempered and boring. Only good for one thing and not very good for that. I take that back, good for telling your friends about as well- the story and description of her was what lured me in for a taste. Good story. Bad experience. She left me exhausted and in need of a smoke- a real smoke. I should have saved myself for another queen.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice and interesting tobacco. A mixture of broken flake (which appears to be Virginia and Burley with a very slight top note of some kind), Latakia and Perique. Easy to pack and light. Good smoking characteristics.

I found the flavor to be a middle of the road English that was not too heavy on the Latakia and maybe, just maybe, a tad "Danish." By that I mean the broken flake component was not a traditional English and did have a slight sweetness to it.

Frankly I did like the flavor of this tobacco. But it did seem to bite me. For some reason, a few of the Altadis tobaccos (not all) seem to nip my tongue.

Do try it if you are a fan of lighter English fare, or like an English/Cavendish blend. If it does not give you tongue bite, you might just keep it in your rotation.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Strong Extra Strong Very Full Very Strong

I love strong coffee so the "mocha slices" sounded good to me. What I got was more like "sewage slices" like the stuff that rises to the top of a septic tank when it's just been opened. I was afraid to take a match to this blend in fear that it would explode. I have not smelled that much sulphur and methane since Mama ate my uncle's stuffed cabbage at the Fourth of July picnic in 1977.

The appearance of this stuff looks just like the goo the vet squeezes out of my dog's anal glands...except this smells worse and was more moist.

The flavor was moldy potting soil mixed with garlic and sour milk. Whatever this is...it's not tobacco!

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Extra Strong

After smoking this, I strongly suspect that Marie Laveau had syphilis...and wanted to extend it beyond the grave.

Upon opening the bag, the overwhelming aroma of menstruating skunk assaulted my senses. The tobacco was wet and possessed a gooey substance that made my fingers stick together. The charring light brought about the odor of burning hair.

I welcomed tongue bite like an old friend so as not to taste the sickeningly sweet aftertaste and waxy buildup left in my mouth from this tobacco. A taste combination of asparagus and licorice accompanied a churning in my lower intestine.

Go away Altadis, just go away.

drmeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drmeer (20)

Nice, well rounded tobacco with a pleasant room note. Mine had some larger pieces that needed some breaking up, but the bulk price can't be beat. Four stars.

maboman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maboman (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a 2 oz bag of this as a gift and now that I am reaching the last few bowls I have left I have to say that this has really grown on me. I only smoke in the mornings on my days off from work and this has been my go to smoke....great with coffee!

The mocha isn't really noticeable but might peek through once or twice during the bowl.

really good stuff, I will get more!

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I read some of the reviews on this and finally had to break down and order it. I really enjoy this tobacco, it is the essense of why I like to smoke a pipe. A real tobacco taste with some complexity, I think of it as in the same class as Midnight Ride. It has a musty smokey latakia sweet thing going on that makes it such a pleasure from start to finish as the bowl is smoked. The slight trace of perique was a nice touch also. It has cheered me up from some bleak winter blues. My only complaint was not being able to find it locally and having to pay shipping on it.

bilder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bilder (2)

I love this blend! It is affordable and quite enjoyable. It is a variation on the English blend, with some mocha and perique hints added to enhance the flavor profile.

The mocha is not very noticeable in the taste, but it really comes out in the room note. I tasted hints of mocha, chocolate, and that wonderful sweet and spicy perique among the classic English flavors. Packs and lights well. Burn is pretty good, I tried some that was a bit moist and had to reach for the lighter a few times.

Not an overpowering smoke, so one could enjoy this one all day long.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Russell summed it up nicely and described my experience with Voodoo Queen, hitting the nail on the head with his review. Easy to load, light and burns slow and cool. A great bulk offering and very affordable.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

523 Voodoo Queen. This blend is an English with a lot of Perique. I have no way to tell how much but as a rule of thumb an ounce (Perique) can change the flavor of a pound of tobacco. With that in mind there is a lot more than a 1/16 ratio in this blend. Upon light you get the standard Virginia sweetness and Latakia smokiness but there is nothing exceptional about the initial taste. When the pipe really starts to change is mid -bowl, I liken it to spicy food sneaking up on you. I initially confused the Perique flavor for tongue bite, and almost put the pipe down and went to bed. I then started recalling the last time I had a good bite, my pipe was rather hot, this was not so with this blend, as my bowl was stone cold. So I went on decided that if I had been bitten it was too late now and I might as well finish the bowl. I am glad I did because this tobacco did not bite at all, in fact for the amount of spice I tasted, I have had Indian or Thai food do more damage to my tongue. Towards the bottom of the bowl all the flavors had married together, the smokiness from the latakia the sweetness from the Virginians, a strange herbal flavor and of course the spiciness from the Parique. This blend is not for the faint of heart and is probably suited for an after lunch bowl, never in the morning, but can be a real nice change of pace for someone stuck in a rut. I am very glad that I got to experience this full flavored tobacco, I will never forget it.

As a final note I really do not think this tobacco blend would even be notable if it were not for the high Perique content, the other tobaccos are just not that great.

Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This is good stuff! I really do not like Perique but this treatment of it is absolutely wonderful. I would say this has to be comprised of at least 35-40% Perique. It is balanced with burley/virginia to tame the beast and heavily laden with latakia to keep its strength. Another esteemed reviewer commented do not confuse tongue bite with Spicy Perique. He was right. This is like smoking a bottle of habanero sauce. It does not sear the tongue at all. It merely wakes up all dornmant taste buds. This is extremely spicy and went very well after some Mexican food. Only, and I repeat, only should English blend afficianados venture into this realm. The mocha slices provide the occasional burst of that Gawith-like chocolate sweetness. Very cool smoking and lasts a long time. Once you get past the spice factor this is really a very enjoyable after dinner blend. Tastes like no other English I have had, and I have reviewed over 100 English blends. A new concept in Perique. For the adventurous only! 3 of 4 stars.

wmjotten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wmjotten (12)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It took a while for me to encounter the Voodoo Queen. I had read about it on the Altadis website and was intrigued by the description: mocha slices, latakia, and perique, in an English Blend. Hmmmm. I like aromatics, and am also a big fan of those smoky latakia blends. Toss in a bit of spicy perique and....well, I went to search for the Voodoo Queen. It wasn't easy to find. I had to eventually go to Altadis, they very nicely sent me out a sample of it, and two other favorites of mine I had mentioned to them, Count Pulaski and H.Gray R.C.A.F. They also sent along a list of tobacconists who had purchased Voodoo Queen. I found mine while on a trip to Gatlinburg. It had been renamed "Royal English" by the shop, which I found troublesome to what Altadis was trying to depict with the Voodoo Queen name and component blend.

On opening the bag one finds a ribbon cut mixture of golds, reds, and browns, some as single ribbons, others as compressed thick slices (similar to Penzance but pressed ribbons instead of flakes) which I typically break apart before loading my pipe. There are also the sooty black ribbons and flakes of latakia and perique. To my nose it is a pleasant aroma of the mocha and smokiness of the latakia which predominate the pouch. Neither overwhelms. At the match, the mixture lights easily with a fairly tight packing. Too loose and the ribbon cut won't hold a fire. The burley and virgina emerge first with a sweet nutty note, sometimes as a green tea taste. It isn't long however that the latakia begins to express itself in typical smooth smoky tones, and spicy perique awakens the Voodoo Queen herself. As one might expect from a blend so named, perique is a healthy proportion in this blend and the push-pull of the smooth latakia and the spice of the perique becomes an interesting plot twist. Add to that the coffee overtones of the mocha slices of burley and virginia tobaccoes to bring it all together and the result is a fine blend. I find myself loading it into a pipe with increasing frequency. Burns down to a gray-white ash. I haven't sensed any carryover when switching blends in the same pipe...ie, no residual. Doesn't bite , even when smoked a bit quickly (but smoke it slowly and enjoy the nuances)...don't confuse the perique spice with tongue bite. Recommended for perique freaks and those who like latakia laced English blends.