A Luxury blend of twisted Virginia, Cavendish and Perique tobaccos. The cut twists or roundels produce a medium strength unique smoke. If you mourn the conversion of the Three Nuns from roundels to ready rubbed, then let us bring your pipe alive.

BrandMcGahey The Tobacconist
2.7
Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm being kind here really.

This come loose in Gawith Hoggarth packets, so I am guessing probably made by them. They look like Curly Cut to be honest, suspiciously like Curly Cut which doesn't have any perique. They bite like hell, taste nothing like Three Nuns used to taste, look nothing like the old Three Nuns roundels and unless I am very much mistaken they are indeed G & H's Curly Cut deluxe.

I bought these on the strength of the other reviews here. Maybe I got sent the wrong tobacco. All I know is that they taste, smell and look indistinguisable from G & H's Curly Cuts.

I love G & H:I smoke their Ropes, Coniston Cut, Bosun Cut Plug and Bob's Choc Flake all the time. I am less fond of their Curly Cut. It's about passable but not worth the money or hassle of smoking.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)

In appearance and flavour, this is a pretty fair sub for the 'old' Three Nuns, and as such I warmly recommend it. It's unfortunate that, unless you live in Exeter, it's available only by mail order (and hence rather expensive, because you have to pay the cost of postage as well). It's unfortunate also that it's available only from one small business, and will presumably cease to be available when Martin McGahey retires. This is a potential problem only for the young smoker with years ahead of him/her, and probably not for an old- timer like me. Perhaps the moral of the story is: buy in bulk. Don't fall too deeply in love with it, though. You never know. Call me a pessimist ...

A very good tobacco, blended with skill. Enjoy it while you can. McGahey's is a business that can't be praised too highly.

Nigel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nigel (2)

I enjoy this blend though I don't smoke it often enough. This blend comes in roundels that I fully rub out. The tobacco is a little moist right out of the jar so I air it for a half hour before packing. Upon first light you are greeted with a wonderful sweet flavour and clouds of white smoke. The baccy stays consistent throughout the bowl with the perique in the background without overpowering the blend. Theres a unique flavour to this blend that I can't just put my finger on, not a casing but a component that just adds the extra something that makes this so enjoyable possibly the perique but I haven't tasted it in other perique blends that I have smoked. Having never tried the Three Nuns I cannot provide a comparison to that blend. I could have done with airing this a little longer as it required a couple of relights.