A luxury blend of twisted Virginia, cavendish and perique tobaccos. The cut twists or roundels produce a medium strength unique smoke. If you mourn the conversion of the Three Nuns from roundels to ready rubbed, then let us bring your pipe alive.

BrandMcGahey The Tobacconist
1.8
Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm being kind here really.

This come loose in Gawith Hoggarth packets, so I am guessing probably made by them. They look like Curly Cut to be honest, suspiciously like Curly Cut which doesn't have any perique. They bite like hell, taste nothing like Three Nuns used to taste, look nothing like the old Three Nuns roundels and unless I am very much mistaken they are indeed G & H's Curly Cut deluxe.

I bought these on the strength of the other reviews here. Maybe I got sent the wrong tobacco. All I know is that they taste, smell and look indistinguisable from G & H's Curly Cuts.

I love G & H:I smoke their Ropes, Coniston Cut, Bosun Cut Plug and Bob's Choc Flake all the time. I am less fond of their Curly Cut. It's about passable but not worth the money or hassle of smoking.

Nigel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nigel (2)

I enjoy this blend though I don't smoke it often enough. This blend comes in roundels that I fully rub out. The tobacco is a little moist right out of the jar so I air it for a half hour before packing. Upon first light you are greeted with a wonderful sweet flavour and clouds of white smoke. The baccy stays consistent throughout the bowl with the perique in the background without overpowering the blend. Theres a unique flavour to this blend that I can't just put my finger on, not a casing but a component that just adds the extra something that makes this so enjoyable possibly the perique but I haven't tasted it in other perique blends that I have smoked. Having never tried the Three Nuns I cannot provide a comparison to that blend. I could have done with airing this a little longer as it required a couple of relights.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Buying whatever I could get a few years ago while on holiday to southwestern England, I also stopped by the Exeter shop of McGahey's and bought a handful of this blend. My apologies for not posting my review earlier; I just plain lost sight of this one.

At the shop, the man behind the counter did not want to say it outright, but the shape and size of the slices clearly points to MacBaren as the manufacturer. I did say it outright, and got a kind of half-nod in response.

The casing I thought at the time (2011) to be similar to MacBaren's Mixture Flake, with some honey in it, but less in-your-face. No Perique in there that I could find, but rather the classic VA rolled around a core of BC with something spicy in it, then sliced. Mind, that does not rule out the possible presence of Perique, I just couldn't make it out in the smoking experience.

Anyway, filling, lighting and smoking is exactly as with the official MacB Curlies, with the same caveats, as is maintenance and most of the flavour. VA forward, some spice and the sauce could be worse. I still prefer the less-cased MacB Curlies, though.

Not a bad blend, but should it be marketed (as other reviewers here have noted--I do not remember that being the case when I bought it) as a Three Nuns lookalike, that is rubbish. For the blend as it is, I'm giving it 2.0 to 2.5 stars. Aromatic, but not overly so, and well-behaved within the limits to be expected from a Curly.

Pipe Used: db Mayfair

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new pouch

Purchased From: McGahey's, Exeter, England

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Club Blend, Mac Baren - Mixture Flake.

Strong None Detected Extra Full Pleasant

McGahey's - Buckland Curlies.

I'm perplexed here; mine's as spicy as hell. Do I love it or hate it? I'll explain:

When something says it's curly cut, I often find that upon opening the pouch it's about 95% ribbons. This though, it's completely diametric: the blend mostly consists of coins.

Regarding the smoke, it's a Perique powerhouse! It's got that much of the spicy stuff it feels as sharp as a scalpel on the tongue! That's where I get confused... I enjoy it for both the flavour and nicotine for the inaugural part of the smoke, but then I find it too imperious; it's a shame there isn't more Cavendish in there to sweeten and soften the experience! I can barely taste the Virginia either; it's Perique all the way!

I don't get the stereotypical tongue bite from it, not that I'd notice any due to my tongue being shredded by the Perique!

Love or hate?... well, I think it would be a great morning smoke; lively, strong and sharp tasting, but it wouldn't suit the evening position very well; it's nowhere near relaxing enough!

I'm going to have to give it two stars, as in my opinion, it's a 50/50 split of good and bad!

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Harp #03

Purchased From: McGahey's

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (120)
Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

I reviewed Buckland Curlies favourably a few years ago, after my initial acquaintance with it. I have now deleted that review, because I have come to believe, with Pipemanuk, that this tobacco is in fact Gawith & Hoggarth's Curly Cut repackaged. I was happy enough to recommend G & H's Curly Cut and I'm pretty sure that this is the same tobacco. I'm not going to recommend Buckland Curlies separately because I really don't think it is what it claims to be: a Three Nuns sub with perique. I shall be happy to apologise if my opinion is proved wrong; but I don't think it is.

Pipe Used: Various