Bright golden Virginia tobaccos from the Mysore region in
Southern India with their high natural sugar contents provide best
pre-conditions for the creation of a harmoniously rich aromatic
pipe tobacco. By considerately gentle pressing the leaf tobacco, its
typical and highly esteemed Virginia-sweet flavour can blossom to
its optimum. A trace of mellow Vanilla was added only to refine
and underline the tobacco?s own precious taste. A deliciously
smooth smoking pleasure.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByMichael Apitz
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging100 g tin
Strength
Mild, Medium
Taste
Full
Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

Another package from Dan Pipe, another adventure. There is not much of a story behind my choice of this blend; I saw the description in the online store and decided I had to try it.

The tin aroma may lack in the typical VA grassiness, but it more than makes up for that in full tilt sweetness; these leaves must have been left unharvested until the last possible moment.

The ready-rubbed tobacco is a little uneven and needs a little extra rubbing here and there, but it fills easily and takes to the match well enough.

Right from the first puff, the aroma and the taste are both deliciously sweet, with honey-ish notes. The taste develops a little during the first half, becoming a highly satisfying sweetness with no bite or bitterness. The smoke leaves a sweet aftertaste on the tongue. The touch of vanilla noted in the description I could not detect; it must be extremely light.

GOM burns down well once lit (a friend who tried it had some trouble getting it started), and right down to the very last crumb the taste and aroma are simply top notch; the residue is a fine grey ash with no dottle whatsoever.

For such a sweet and, overall, light-seeming tobacco, there is a quite satisfying nicotine punch in there that makes me want to light up the next pipe of this blend right now, only a few minutes after finishing the previous one. Pure VA pleasure, highestly recommended.

-- update 07-27-09 -- My nose must have been on vacation before I wrote this review; I can make out the vanilla quite clearly these days. But that is the only change in opinion; it still is one of the best tobaccos I have tried to date.

-- further update 07-30-09 -- having spent the afternoon at Dan Pipe, and having had a long and very interesting conversation with Michael Apitz, I have learned that GoM is practically identical to Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, minus a goodly amount of the vanilla sauce. I am surprised, because my impression of SVH was that it was far less strong than GoM. I guess my palate is too used to strongly aromaticized tobaccos being weak. Then again, I really do get a good kick out of GoM, which I don't get out of SVH. shrug Guess I'm only human after all.

-- another update, 05-12-11 -- downrating; this tobacco no longer meets my standards for an outstanding blend. It is quite good and recommended; just not one to make me jump up and down with glee.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (53)

After being pleasantly surprised by Hamborger Veermaster, another Dan Tobacco blend, not long ago, I thought it was perhaps time to excavate the tin of Gold of Mysore from the cellar.

Gold of Mysore comes in one of those 100g tins that I like (same as Reiner Long Golden Flake, for instance) that in my experience keeps the tobacco in shape for a considerably longer time than the standard screw-top variety. That is a big plus for me as they are good to keep around for other blends once they are empty.

Inside the tin the tobacco itself consists of broken flakes. Alot of it seems rubbed out almost to the consistency of ribbons, either way, it's pretty much in the same as I would've rubbed it out myself. Colour ranges in shades of brown, mostly darker, with small crystals present. Humidity level is quite dry and seem optimal for packing right away.

The tin note is very nice - dark and figgy/stoved fruitiness with a chocolate note. Some hay, honey and vanilla notes in there also.

The pre-light draw is intensively sweet on the tongue, but after the lighting gets going I find that this blend really isn't as sweet as I thought it would be. Hints of dark chocolate that reminds me of burley strike me as the most obvious, that figgy element also makes itself known again. Quite unexpected, but rather tasty. The vanilla is modestly applied and does indeed seem to only accentuate the sweetness already there. The burleyish presence stays throughout - at first I thought that maybe the pipe was haunted (it is an estate, after all), because I can't recall smoking anything with any burley in it, but subsequent bowls in other pipes reveals the same trait to lesser and higher extents. Maybe it has something to do with the mysore variety of VA? Anyway, it doesn't have quite the same dry and "toasty" mouthfeel that I associate with burley. Whatever it is, it's much more restrained and does add a bit of an unusual character to the blend.

Overall, I find this to be a rather pleasant semi-aromatic tobacco that is easy burning and easilly manageable. It does have a tendency to sting the tongue a little if you find yourself treating it too casually, but then again, that can be said about alot of other VA's. All in all I find it to be consistent in taste, rather easygoing and pleasant both in taste and aroma. Perhaps not the most profound smoke I've ever had, but there are some subtle earthy notes here and there that I didn't expect to find.

I don't find it to be particularly strong as far as nicotine goes. Not really a lightweight, but I find myself wishing there was a bit more power to the punch after a bowl, but other than that, this is pretty good stuff.

Pipe Used: GBD Prehistoric Pot, Peterson 408.

Age When Smoked: 4 years.

Purchased From: danpipe.de

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

This rubbed Virginia flake bears a family resemblance to Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew as a natural Virginia aromatic. The vanilla is less prominent than in SVH while the inherent sweetness of the Virginia tobacco is emphasized. By the manufacturer's description this sweetness comes naturally from the Mysore Virginia rather than being applied. If so, this golden light Indian Virginia has the highest of natural sugar content and subtantial strength.

Gold of Mysore is a richly flavorful tobacco in the Danish-German tradition of cased Virginia flakes, is pleasantly aromatic, but imparts very little tongue bite despite all of the sugar. The aromatic quality tends to fade slightly in the last third of the bowl but the strength is maintained.

I bought a 100 gm tin on a recent trip to Europe and as this is a fairly new blend from Dan, it may not yet be available in the USA. If you come across it and you like Virginias in the Danish tradition, try it. It's sweet, it's strong, and it's good.

Jose The Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jose The Bear (10)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Natural sweet, tast sweet smells sweet, cool smoke, nice burn. but the strenght is strong, better watch out.

pipey duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipey duck (15)

Can't understand the reviews above!! There little strenght and much tongue bite in a baccy that is flavouerd a lot. When it would not bite i would fallin asleep because it is soo boring.