This is a combination of three Burleys (rough cut, white & cubed), Virginia flake and Cyprian Latakia.

Notes: Reminiscent of old original Blue Boar blend.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.1
morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)

This is an unusual blend, because burleys have received much negative comment in the last ten years. Suffice it to say, that almost all blends in the last Golden Age of Tobaccco (i.e 1950s) contained substantial portions of burley.

The attempt was to approach the legendary Blue Boar Rough Cut, formerly blended by the American Tobacco Company, and discontinued in the early 1980s. The burleys were chosen to complement each other, with the cube cut providing a nuttiness and the smoothness of burn. Dark and white burleys have their own quality, but too much dark burley can leave a cigar leaf taste to the blend. Va Bright flake, rather than virginia ribbon or virginia flake was added for sweetness w/o a cloying quality that could ruin a smoke. The Cyprian latakia provided the earthiness and tone to the blend. All in all, a great all day smoke w/o harshness and a wet pipe.

I used to smoke Blue Boar in the day. That day was a long time ago, so memory may be faulty. I had decided P&C American Heritage was close enough to Blue Boar, but someone suggested I try Morley's Best. I got 4 oz from P&C and have been working on it.

I found this to be very good. It is a burley-forward VaBur with some latakia to spice it up. The latakia is there and all, but it does not dominate. This was a very good smoke with just a bit of burley bitterness with some sweet Virginia. A little smokey, creamy latakia works very well with this combo.

I will need to smoke this and American Heritage back to back now to compare. My sense is that AH has more latakia and the burley presence is a little stronger.

Compared to my memory of Blue Boar, Morley's Best is smoother and more subtle. BB was a little edgy and had a slight harshness. Morley's Best is more refined, and that may be due to better quality tobaccos or maybe a little more Virginia. The dose of latakia corresponds with what I remember.

Pipe Used: Rockcob, briars

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the baggie

Similar Blends: Blue Boar, Hearth & Home - American Heritage (Signature Series).

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I purchased this blend because it had Bob Runowski's name attached to it. I believe Mr. Runowski was a blending genius and would try anything he had a hand in putting together. That being said I have always had a love/hate relationship with C&D blends overall. They are a quality product but something about them just doesnt tickle my palate. I am constantly trying new tobaccos and I dont hesitate to try any of their blends, but nothing yet has blown my socks off. I have however found a bunch of really solid smokes.

Out of the tin this is a typical C&D blend in that it comes very dry. Most C&D blends do. In fact my favorite C&D blend is autumn evening, and even this maple syrup based aromatic is in no need of drying.

The cut is very thick and chunky. I believe the folks at C&D call it course cut. This makes it a little difficult to pack well, but did not seem to affect the burn much.

This is a burley based blend and it certainly performs that way. The flavor is big and there is a definite strength in flavor and nicotine. There is this great barbecue flavor that keeps emerging and then disappearing. Really nice.

One thing I did notice was this blend seemed to dry my mouth out a bit. Even though I was drinking coffee while I enjoyed the bowl.

A good blend.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Calabash 2001

Age When Smoked: Purchased in 2009

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

As I've stated before, I am a fan of almost everything that Bob Runowski has hand his hand in creating. I am saddened by his passing, but grateful that he helped to reproduce so many great blends from the past. Morley's Best is one of my favorites in his blend series, along with Epiphany. It begins as a good Burley, then I taste the twang of the Latakia, and then a nice sweetness from the Virginias, all of which slowly develop, meld with each other, and become fuller as the bowl progresses. It's a tobacco with which I've had more than one "nirvana" smokes and one that I recommend highly, but don't think that you'll make the wife happy with the room note. Trust me.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)

Mr. Morley and I got off on the wrong foot. I thought he was a bitter old man without any redeeming qualities and had almost written him off. I'm glad I didn't.

The first bowl of this blend puckered my mouth with bitterness and seemed to be so unbalanced that I had no idea how anyone could find anything good with this blend. Towards the end of the smoke I tasted a few flashes of latakia spice along with a wonderful earthy nuttiness. Hmmm... There might be something worthwhile here. I let the sample air out just a bit and the next bowl had a subdued bitterness that was more in line with the taste of burley than mouth puckering tannins that I first tasted. There was a nuttiness without sweetness that seemed more balanced by the earthiness of the virginias. The real showcase was a spice brought by the latakia which included a meaty smokiness as well. It wasn't quite the sweet spice you get from Orientals but it is comparable.

The nicotine from the blend is squarely in the medium range and will certainly satisfy without making you feel light headed. Over time this blend has been smoothing out and has a wonderful, interesting taste without being overpowering. I heartily recommend giving this blend 3 to 6 month to let the leaves get to know each other. If you try it young you'll be disappointed but if you're patient you'll be definitely rewarded. I recommend this for burley smokers without reservation. If you like English blends with sweetness to them then you'll be disappointed by the slightly bitter burley components. If you smoke mainly Virginias you may find this blend simply overpowering but I still recommend giving it a shot. I will be buying more of this blend and it has most definitely impressed me. Bob Runowski... you've done good once again.

Just as a note Morley's best is the only blend that I've smoked that I feel really showcases what burley and latakia can aspire to be as a pairing. Very complimentary to each other and quite an interesting blend that is never boring. It also lights well, keeps lit with a lighter hand at packing. It also seems to bear some family resemblence to Junkyard Dawg and Old college. If you prefer a little more sweetness then I would direct you to those two blends first.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A Va/Bur/Lat or "American English" blend, if you will. I had this 8oz tin for almost two years before I popped it and I think it was tinned in 2006 or 2007. So.... when it popped it was a bit like popping the cork on a champagne bottle. Some confetti flying and a violent implosion. It's paid off with this one, which has put me in the zone really fast, and I'm not even the biggest burley fan out there. Aged as it should be as in this particular 8oz tin, it's flavorful, biteless, mild and smooth. It's reputedly a strong nic blend, but not to me, not this time. I think that the minimal in the tin aging may have tamed the nic. The well-blended components had enough time to get to know each other and chill. Three and a half stars to this blend, when smoked from a tin that's had some age in it. Most C&D blends should be aged for at least a little and this is certainly one of them. Then it's golden. You know what this blend is? It's relaxing is what it is.

Update: This blend continues to grow on me; the latakia is the tastiest and most aromatic that I can remember. Upgrading it to four stars.

This strikes me as Walnut's iron-pumping brother. Where Walnut is sweet and soft with a touch of latakia, Morley's Best is brawny and powerful without a trace of sweetness but still with that wonderful essence of latakia to betray the family lineage.

I've never smoked Blue Boar so I can't comment on how close this one comes to replication. But it's hardly relevant; this one stands on its own. The burley is the major player and the virginias are not of the sweet variety. They are oily and robust, with a rich flavor and strong character. I find the flavors perfectly melded and the strength is of a comforting nature rather than brute force. I honestly believe that this is one of those blends that I call "genius blends". Bob Runowski knows how to do burleys and he knows his OTC's. Those of us who didn't get a chance to smoke Blue Boar can smoke Morley's Best to their heart's content. And we will. At least I will! If you like burley with the rounding off that a touch of virginia can do and the added spice of latakia, you should definitely give this a spin in your favorite pipe.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (79)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

2/15/06 - Update: Having finished my ball jar that was once full of Morley's Best i ordered an 8oz tin from Cup O Joes for $16.00 and dug right in. As before, perfect moisture and ready to go right from the tin. The fact that Morley's Best is so darn tasty and ages incredibly well has made this a favorite of mine. Why this blend does not have a colorful label and is not packed in 2oz tins is strange considering the rave reviews on this site and others but the price difference between the bulk and premium tins is such that it does not bother me.

I purchased 4ozs of this blend based on the reviews here from Pipes and Cigars and i wish i purchased more! This and Old Hollywood are the two finest Blends i have tried from C&D with Morley's Best being on top due to the incredibly low price compared to a tin of Old Hollywood. This does not contain the cavendish as that blend does but there is some sweetness from the bright virginia that intensifies as you reach the halfway mark. With both blends being rich and so smooth, i am hard pressed to decide which i like better so instead i will keep half a pound of Morley's best in a Ball jar and keep a tin of Old Hollywood on my shelf so i do not have to decide which to keep. These two blends and Nut Brown Burley by Wilke's are my Burley Blend rotation and what a fine rotation it is! Any Burley smoker owes it to him or herself to try this bulk blend, it really deserves to be tinned based on the quality blending and the reviews it has received on this site. Glad i took a chance and ordered some!

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, does burley better than Bob Runowski. In my opinion, he is the world's master blender of burley. Morley's Best is a superb example of his talent with this magnificent leaf, and a testament to the consistency and quality of Cornell and Diehl.

The appearance of this tobacco in the plastic bag is quite attractive. Cubed burley, coarse ribbon-cut burley and pale Virginia, and black strands of latakia make this mixture a pleasure just to look at (aren't we pipe smokers geeks?). The aroma while filling my pipe is an alluring mixture of plain tobacco and Cyprian latakia, which I prefer over Syrian anyday.

At the match, Morley's Best proves to be a straightforward, stout blend of the kind real pipe smokers appreciate. I don't like latakia unless it's in a burley blend, and Morley's Best is a powerful and pleasing smoke for me, particularly in a cob.

I would give this blend four stars were it not for its habit of biting me on occasion. Apart from that, this is one of the best American Englishes around and already a classic.

Thanks, Bob.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The quintessential "American" English blend. it certainly is burley heavy and that burley drives this blend. The three mentioned in the listing do not state dark burley, but perhaps the rough cut or cubed is where I pick its presence. Any more and this would be a cigar blend. The Latakia is in here but not overpowering and the Virginia is mildy supportive. It is very smooth despite its full taste. And it packs a sneaky punch of nicotine which becomes very apparent at about 2/3 burn - every time I smoke it in fact. (I am a regular Old Joe Krantz smoker so I make the observation with some knowledge of what a nic-kick can feel like). As much as I like it, I can look forward to a daily bowl (one only); I cannot see this ever being a blend I would load up on a long drive on the interstate highway. Perhaps it should come with a warning about operating motor vehicles and heavy equipment. However, for a late afternoon smoke or a blend for fishing day - this fits nicely. It does leave me with a strong finish and an hours-long aftertaste as a heavy ligero laden cigar would. It can also rasp my tongue fairly easily and not because I stoke it up looking for more flavor. I just pull on it too rapidly because it tastes so good. It is still so smooth and tasty otherwise that I do not hesitate a 3 star rating and might raise it to four later.

Pipe Used: BBB Pot, Custombilt bullcap

Age When Smoked: Fresh production

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)

This blend when first lit seemed strong in the Latakia sense, but the Latakia very much calmed down almost immediately.

In my opinion it almost seemed over complicated, too many tastes to distinguish one that stands out.

It does burn extremely well and tobaccos are even.

Sometimes a Burley stands out and has an incredible C & D taste, which I do have the up-most respect for.

Edit. After smoking again, bumped up some more, but it does take a lot of thought while smoking, especially to review.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, Peterson System (Bent)

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

It seems that C&D are known for their burley blends, and American-style English blends in particular. This seems more bitter than the others they make. I prefer Old College, Consolation, and Big 'n' Burley because they are less bitter to me.

Govern Yourself Accordingly!

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Bulk Blend Smack Down: This is a fantastic bulk buy! What stands out about this is the bang for the buck! The price point is a steal! For roughly 2.10/oz your getting a smoke that rivals many 4.00+/oz tins. Yum! Good stuff! This has the best toasty flavor. Nice Nic hit by the end of the bowl. The lat. is there but really faint. A little strong mid bowl but still good mix of parts. All that burley can get a little bit bity mid to late bowl.

Struggling.Thinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Struggling.Thinker (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I am a fan of Bob Runowski's blends, especially OJK and Epiphany. I wanted to pick this one up, assuming that it would simply taste like Epiphany without the Perique. This assumption was incorrect. Although MB is tasty in it's own way, it seems to me to have a bit MORE 'edge' than Epiphany. It's smokier and heavier on my palate. I never really picked up on the fruitiness in Epiphany until I compared the tin note of these two blends. I would wager that you would not win any friends with the room note of this one, although I smoke outside anyway.

All in all, this blend of primarily burleys with a reasonable dose of latakia (and some Virginia) is unique ---- I don't really know of other blends from other companies with these same tobaccos. In the world of Runowski burley blends, it is a somewhat smokier, slightly heavier alternative for Epiphany fans. Nicotine is squarely in the medium range. Recommended.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first C and D blend that I have tasted. Don't know why, but just never got around to ordering any before. I think it was that they have so many blends, it was hard to know where to start.

I started with Morley's Best. Aptly called "101", as in "Pipe smoking 101" or "blends 101". What a great piece of blending work it is. I would call it an American blend. Mild, biteless, never bitter or harsh, but with flavour aplenty. The burleys are very prominent at the beginning, and the Latakia is transformed by them and the Virginias. I don't know what else is in there, but there is something that gives it a little extra taste. It could be the different burleys in combination.

The taste never lets up, and it smokes just right all the way down. No essence of ashtray as one passes the half-way mark.

It has been said that this blend is similar to Blue Boar, another resident in the cemetary of blends of yore. I never smoked Blue Boar, and to be honest don't really regret that on account of having this one.

This is a must for burley lovers who want a little more, and for English and Balkan smokers who don't want to smoke aromatics but would like something that does not taste quite so oriental. C&D are doing all of us a great service in putting blends like this together. Long may they continue to do so.

I'm very glad to find an "American" style blend made with such craftsmanship. I love burley, and am fascinated with the older American style blends. I'm too young to have tried these blends in their older incarnations, but I suspect the quality used to be better. Morley's Best shows this style of blend can be very fine indeed.

Morley's Best contains hot, harsh Burley that is combined with a healthy dose of Latakia and a smidgen of Virginia leaf. The Burley gets extremely bitter starting at mid-bowl and the Virginia appears to be low grade, "filler type." The Latakia may be B-grade as well.

This blend does burn well and that could be the problem. I think Morley's Best may taste best when unlit.

C&D has many truly fine blends on the market. This ain't one of 'em. IMO, of course.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

It took me awhile to get to this one. I wish it hadn't. If you are a burley lover, and like your latakia in a condimental sense, this is express train to nirvana. I first smoked this in a Falcon equiped with a dublin bowl. My second in a peterson 305, and third in an Alpha Corona Freehand. (Can you tell I'm your average joe?) The consensus of the three smokes was thus: At the char light, the first thing I noticed was a Classic English taste. Latakia and Virginia which surprised. As the burn settled and the cap was tamped the flavor melded well into a nice smokey nut like flavor, which has a lightly sweet affect. Very nice. This flavor stayed until about midbowl. From Mid bowl to the 3/4 mark the burlies were more ascertive. A bit more of a bitter nut taste, but in no way unpleasant- Like an almond can be. Still very tasty. This is also the area that the nicotine started to make itself known. Slow sipping tends to bring more of the burlies out, while aggressive puffing can bring more latakia up to the front. Finish was clean and all too soon. This is a very contemplative blend, but is also great for a walk outside in the fall air. I never tried Blue Boar, of which this is a reincarnation- But I tip my hat in thanks to Bob Runowski and Craig Tarler for bringing so many classic blends back. If it weren't for them keeping the Heritage alive my generation would be sorely missing out. This one is new to my top five- Highly recomended. Cheers!

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

I actually first sampled Morley's Best before reading that this blend was an attempt to re-create the taste of the now-departed Blue Boar Rough Cut, an old American Tobacco Co. product. Had I got around to trying the original mixture before it disappeared from the market I would certainly have been a fan, for Morley's Best is a fine American style formula. The taste is nicely balanced, pure uncased burley with Virginia and latakia, with a flavor that's mostly nutty with a bit of tanginess. Toward end-bowl, there's a little bitterness coming through from the burley, but not enough to taint the experience. This is an old-fashioned smoke and a must-try for newcomers and seasoned pipers alike.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)

This is excellent tobacco! The burley gives it tremendous body and a rich creamy, nutty taste. The Latakia is detectable but in no way overwhelms. It smokes fine in anything I have tried it in but especially shines when smoked in a large cob. I plan on keeping a pound or two of this on hand at all times. (If I dug through the couch cushions I could buy a pound in a week!!) Being bulk, this is an exceptional value for the money!! Very highly recommended!!

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)

Bob, you rock.

I never even heard of burley/VA/latakia until I read about this blend here. English? It doesn't fit a category well, does it? I'd be proud to call it a non-aromatic American. I guess this is closest to HOW's Barking Dog, but with more class, richer and sweeter from the VA component. Remarkably well balanced, this blend took some thought and development. Each component can be tasted when sought and none predominate; the sum is greater than the parts. A master blender has been at work.

Moisture and cut are perfect for loose packing and it stays lit without attention. I have yet to be irritated or bit, it is very well behaved. My tin is scarcely 10 weeks old and is eminently smokable; cellaring is unnecessary but may yet improve it.

I normally smoke this in a big meer. A cob trial is forthcoming; all my cobs are currently dedicated to others, but this blend cries out for a cob. Wonderful smoke, this stuff, and thanks to the reviewers who nudged me to get a pound of this.

Old English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old English (6)

Finally a reasonably priced all day blend that doesn't empty the room it's smoked in. Just love this stuff .. it reminds me of another sleeper blend of years back called "Brush Creek". I love my English and Balkan blends, but can't smoke them all the time because of the complaints and the cost of some of the blends I like. Just ordered a couple of pounds for 26.75 @ lb at C&D and will start Cellaring this baby right away.

It's amazing how the latakia works with the burleys to produce both a great taste and a resonable room note. Also, this blend is perfect for breaking in new pipes without the bite and roughness when doing it with a high quality balkan.

Highly recommended.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Years ago my staple blend was Blue Boar Rough Cut by the American Tobacco Company. Sadly, it was discontinued early in the 80's. For years, I have searched for, but never found anything even comparible to it until I tried Morleys best.

As fire met weed, the latakia rushed fourth providing an earthy tone to set the stage. After a few long slow draws the burleys came through with perfect balance working together superbly. The cube cuts classic nutty flavor and smoothness of burn that I crave in a blend came to the fore while the VA flake rounded things off with just enough sweetness. No cloying aftertaste here, just pure heaven for this burley lover.

I won't say this is exactly like the Blue Boar of old, however it is reminescent of it and I will say very similar in experience. Bar none this is the best, most rounded and masterfully crafted Burley based blend to be had today. Its been a long time since I bought a whole pound of anything. I bought five pounds of Morleys best and have been enjoying every puff! :)

4 Rock solid stars!

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)

I learned to love Burley blends by smoking Edgeworth Sliced and Mac Baren Burley London Blend. Many people don't like Burley blends because the only place they have encountered them are in goopy aromatics.

C&D's American/English blends are a revelation. The Tarlers are indeed artful in their mixing methods, and they easily outdistance those "masters" of the Burley blend, Mac Baren. To my thinking Morley's Best is the best Burley blend on the market today.

I can't add much to what has already been said about this blend. Every Burley lover owes it to his palate to try this one, and English lovers will enjoy the change of pace this excellent blend provides.

The price makes it a truly superb all-day smoke.

Highly recommended.

(If you like this one, you'll probably also like C&D's Easy Times and Old Hollywood.)

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)

Well I'm on my 10th bowl of this old-timey blend and I must say that the C&D burley blends in this series really hit the spot with me. The quality is evident as well as the careful blending. MB works best for me in a larger pipe, or a pipe with a wider than average bowl (say, 7/8 or greater), perhaps to give the large chunks of burley and latakia room to "even out". Otherwise the latakia flavor doesn't really develop as I'd like.

I am also careful to light it very slowly at first. I now prefer this to any of the HOW offerings of similar ilk (mainly Barking Dog).

The latakia in MB is, for me, pronounced enough that it is the leading flavor, backed up by the wonderful, full and rich burleys and dash of VA. Must be smoked slowly with not a care in the world.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)

I recently received some of this in a trade. When I opened the bag of Morley's I was hit immediately with the scent of latakias mixed with the grassy/musty aroma of the burlies. What VA there is in this mixture was not readily evident at the outset.

For my first bowl of MB I selected a large bowled Tinsky Rhodesian and packed it rather firmly. At the match, the latakia asserts itself first along with the oatmeal-like presence that can only be the burlies. As the tobacco was consumed, the latakia remained evident, but only wafting in and out as the burlies developed, along with the VA, (please note that the virginias used here do not in any way dominate, but merely add a little zest to the whole) but make no mistake about it - this is a mixture that says BURLEY!

The flavor/taste is not at all sweet, but instead like that of cocoa (not chocolate) and a mild cigar to me. The VA and latakia play the role of condiment in MB and I must say that I like MB rather alot. I am left wondering how this would compare to the venewrable Blue Boar that this was designed after. It must have been a good smoke.

This mixture is not for those who expect crescendos, arpeggios, diminuendos or medulla oblongatas or whatever. This is just a good smoke that requires no special attention while smoking. It smokes well in any size pipe but works best in larger bowls.

High marks for this one.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium Extremely Mild Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

this is my favorite tobacco at the moment, and the one i always go back to as my "old reliable". the history of this tobacco, as i understand it, is that it is a copy of a tobacco known as "blue boar". well, i never had any blue boar, but if it tasted anything like this one, it was a great tobacco! this is the tobacco to give to smokers who have never experienced a non-aromatic before. the mixture of burleys and a touch of latakia make a perfect transition team. this is the one i reach for when i face a long session at the computer keyboard or a sunday afternoon football marathon. the burn characteristics are great, with minimal re-lighting required. like all C&D blends, it comes packed very dry. i think Craig does this on purpose, so his customers are paying for tobacco, instead of excess water weight. if it smokes a little dry for you, it is simple to moisten it with a misting bottle and some distilled water. remember that a little goes a long way! this is also one of those tobaccos that seems friendly to any pipe. it is especially nice in a cob, one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. some of my most memorable sessions with MB have been with my big Macarthur replica corncob pipe. the icing on the cake is that this is one of the most inexpensive premium tobaccos you will find. a pound of MB is no more expensive than 3 tins of some other company's blends. Craig, if you are reading this, keep this blend on your permanent list. and a big "THANK YOU" to Bob Runowski for his help in developing it! 4 BIG STARS!

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

This is one of the finest burley blends that I have tried. I am glad to see that there are a few blenders out there who are using burley in an artful way. Most burley blends just don't cut it for me. Most are very monochromatic, burn hot , are over cased and leave a foul taste in my mouth. This on the other hand smokes cool, has little or no casing, and leaves a nice finish. This burley blend also has some complexity as well. The latakia and virginias play very well to the varied burleys in this blend. For those who don't like latakia you still may enjoy this blend in that it realy sits in the back and enhances the burley. This is a very tastey and refreshing blend. I highly recomend this to those who have tried bad or awful burley blends in the past and are open to trying a high quality burley blend.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

The burley in this blend dominates and, in this case, this is a good thing. This tobacco is a winner. It has a mainly nutty, burley taste that is beautifully smoothed out and enriched by added latakia and Virginia. Olfactory memory is the most primitive, and one of the most powerful, of our sense memories and Morley's did it for me. After my first three puffs of this stuff I was six years old again, riding in the pickup truck with my grandfather. It's a wonderful, old-time taste and aroma and I like it a lot. It incorporates all that was good about the old-fashioned drugstore tobaccos, but this one is made with quality leaf and is not topped with any goop. I recommend it strongly.

Solar Pons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Solar Pons (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I opened my pouch of Morley's Best and the aroma was quite mild. I could smell a little latakia but it was masked by the burley. There was a mix of ribbon and cube cut leaves. I picked out one of my favorite pipes, a large Charatan Dublin, and filled the bowl. The burley dominated the flavor, which I found to be on the light side. I found myself looking for more latakia, or perhaps it was the Virginia base that I am used to that I was seeking. A little more flavor was evident toward the end of the bowl. Cleaning the pipe I saw that all the tobacco burned to a fine ash. After resting for a spell I chose a smaller pipe, A Comoy pebble grain bulldog. The smoke was similar to the larger bowled pipe with more flavor coming through at the end. I noticed the after taste to be quite refreshing.

After I put this blend away for a spell, I remembered that Bob likes to blend for a large bowled pipe. So I revisited the Morley's Best in an extra-large Tilshead. I have to admit that I noticed a greater depth of flavor that I didn't taste in a bowl that was merely large.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)

Morley's best is a nice example of a burley/latakia blend. It starts off with a strong, bold latakia flavor which mellowed out almost immediately into a nice nutty burley. The burleys in this blend are pleasant, nutty and bold. The virginia however may add some sweetness but will also add some tongue bite if you're not careful. Once the initial latakia bomb retreats to the background it provides a nice smooth smokiness throughout the smoke.

For some reason, halfway through the bowl the smoke starts to taste bitter. That may be a huge downside for a lot of folks out there but for me its almost a plus. It makes in a little unpleasant for an afternoon/evening smoke. Though in the morning paired with a nice hot cup of dark roast black coffee the bitterness in both makes for a great way to wake up. Overall, When it comes to Burley based blends with a touch of latakia this is a good one, but if I could only pick one this wouldn't be it. Big n' Burley takes that honor.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)

MB is a good, moderately strong, full bodied smoke--i like Cyprian Latakia which is a fuller tasting tobacco than the Syrian to me-- but first and foremost MB is a good burley blend with the lat and virginia acting only as condiment-

it packs and lights well, burns cleanly and requires little or no attention, allowing concentration on enjoyment rather than maintaining the pipe--only needed one relight towards the end of the bowl; likely due to my not paying really close attention--

it has for several days now become my last smoke of the day--an enjoyable experience--

edit 4-29-12 upping to 4 stars--although really good during my first experiences, it seems to have advanced to a 'superb' status-- i usually have some sort of adverse oral reaction to Latakia in just about any blend, but with Morley's Best i seem to notice very little to no oral irritation; a welcome change, because this is one highly enjoyable blend-- ---------------------------------- Rest in peace Morleysson

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)

Morley's Best has become one of my best. Love this. 5 stars!!!!!!!! Try it you wont be disappointed.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like Bob R and I tend to like blends he's been involved in creating so I had to try this blend. I also like C and D blends. This blend has a nice tart and spicy pouch aroma and just looks good in the pouch, composed of multi colored tobaccos running from light khaki in color throught the brown spectrum up to a dark leaf which is the latakia. It comes just the right moisture content for me as do most C and D blends and it loaded very easily into my pipe. This blend contains a lot of burley and I love C and D burley, I think Craig is an artist making burleys. Upon lighting, it gave off that burley arom which I like a lot and the VA in it rises up quickly with it's sweet and tart flavor. The latakia is just a spice in this blend and I like it like that. The smokiness of this wafts in and out in a nice way but in no way dominates this blend. The VA used is a little hot and spicy, moreso than a lot of VA's I have smoked of late and I would have liked that tamed down a touch. But it was very smooth with no bite and overall the pipe full was very pleasing. I did have to however relight often, which I find irritating. This lowered it a notch in my opinion as it would be a great all day blend if not for that. It did burn dry and all the way down to a fine grey ash with no dottle. Over all, this is a very good blend but no one over the top. I could live on it but sometimes I just want a little more. A different VA and this blend could be great.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (37)

Morley's Best is a blend of tasty Burleys seasoned delicately with sweet Va and earthy, but restrained Latakia. No negative issues. Apparently a completely natural (non-aromatic) blend. Yum!

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)

C&D seems to search the world over to find the greenest tobaccos available. This insures a harsh smoke unless the tobacco is aged at least a few months. I believe this accounts for some of the bad reviews of this blend. Were this a bargain tobacco, it would be excusable, but at this price point, it is not, so I take a full star off my rating for that. A real pity, too, because once you age it a bit, this is a first rate burley blend. It starts out fairly mild and steadily becomes more full. It has that nice old-fashioned burley flavor and aroma with VA for sweetness and latakia for fullness. The Latakia never overwhelms and my girlfriend actually likes the aroma. The more I smoke it, the more I crave it. This review is for the bulk (not tinned) version of Morely's Best.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)

This is one good tasting batch of bulk Morley's.

The proportions of Latakia are perfect for a flavorful afternoon smoke and the burley blasts it out nicely.

UPGRADE! Time only improves this blend. 4 stars.

Images evoked include winning a dice game played with shrunken heads in front of a native hut.

Jazzplayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jazzplayer (9)

Upon opening my tin the appearance of the tobacco is that of small wood chips.The aroma was nice but not overpowering. I filled my bowl and lit my wooden match. Truthfully, I was not impressesd with my first bowl. I knew I had to give this tobacco a fair chance and so I did smoke it 3-4 times a day for a whole week. This tobacco did have exceptional note of that of a nutty and chocolate on the palate. The Latakia was not over powering by any means. This is a good smoke, however my Dunhill Nightcap and Frog keep callling me back

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)

I wish this was more accessible. you have to order it only. I love this and it would be an everyday smoke for me - Great taste and with all the orchestra playing in tune - the flavors interplay each other and come to a crescendo. Great great smoke from Mr Tarler.

Yes, I like my Burley blends. This is another fantastic one by C&D.

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Looks similar to "Haunted Bookshop" with Latakia added to it. Burley is the predominate tin note (8 oz tin) with the VA and Latakia detectable.

Packing and Lighting: As all C&D's, easy.

Initial Flavor: Aahhh, smooth and creamy from the get go. This is a perfectly balanced blend. None of the leaves are fighting for attention.

Mid-Bowl: Still smooth and creamy with a delicious room-note to boot!

Bottom of Bowl: Builds to a medium to full strength. Never overpowering or harsh, and yes, still smooth and creamy.

Overall: I didn't think this blend would appeal to me as much as it did. I can smoke bowl after bowl of this blend and not tire from it. It has that "magic" that blenders attempt to achieve. I am glad I took a chance with an 8 oz. tin. Now I will have to order more...

A very American English blend. Nutty in flavor. The Virginias are there for a wee bit of flavor.The Latakia is generous and compliments the Burley nicely. A creamy smoke. Good after a Pizza or something else spicy. Not a race horse,but a good Kleidsdale that plods along nicely and is very reliable.It will get you to where you want to be . It is like driving with a quiet friend. You know he is there and doesn't need to say much. At the end you had a nice road trip.2 of 4 stars I am finding that C & D Bulk blends are really not up to par. I say that with a note of sadness.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

I love Burley and I love latakia. This is a great blend if you like theses two flavors. This is probably the highest quality of this sort of blend that one could come up with. It's barking dog with much higher grade tobacco taking him from the junk yard and making him a very classy pooch. what a combination. All day smoke at any season. and the room note as never got me in trouble.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)

Spectacular blend. The appearance is unique and the hetergenous mixture makes for a interesting smoke everytime. Chunks of the wonderful C&D burley, interspersed latakia, bold chips of pale white burley leaf, dashes of virginia not quite married, but all wed by common-law. This is so cool with a tremendously full mouthfeel, tinted wisps of humbled yet rich latakia working through the burley base. I find this to be less cigar-like than Haunted Bookshop, but is in the same vein. This is an all day blend if you like this sort of thing.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

12/6/2004

Morley?s Best is a blend that is supposed to replicate Blue Boar. I don?t recall smoking Blue Boar specifically but I must have as I tried all of the drug store blends and its taste reminded me of a blend I had smoked on occasion in the 1970s. As some other reviewers have noted, this is a classic American burley blend and a darn good one. The burley predominates and it has what I would call a sharp, flavorful edge to it with no bite whatsoever. In short, a very pleasurable smoke indeed!

I rate this tobacco 9.85 out of 10.

I'm not too crazy about this one. A bit bitter and just not enough sweetness for my taste. Nothing to really contrast with the Latakia. It's ok, but it just doesn't click for me.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

boogieman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boogieman (7)
Very Strong Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Oh my... not what I was expecting.

To me it was pretty harsh, and burned my nose like the dickens if blown out through it. Worse part is, I tried it at 4:00 pm and it's now 7:44 am and my mouth tastes horrible. I ate food, brushed teeth, drank strong juice, espresso... to no avail!

I don't want to scare anyone off but I think after trying it once more I will not be smoking this.

I have a tin of latakia and I like adding that with some other tobacco, or occasionally putting some on top of other blends in the pipe. I don't think it's that turning me away. To me it just tastes sour, spicy and harsh. Also, if this makes sense, it's almost how cigarettes smell. I don't like that smell, having never smoked cigarettes, I can't comment on the similarities in taste, but the smell is very similar. My wife was very upset when she smelled me smoking this one!

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Morley's Best delivers a solid punch from the get-go, but I would agree with "Pipestud" that the burleys are simply overpowering and fairly bitter. If you inhale your pipe tobacco, you'll probably dig this mixture; it reminds me of strong cigarettes and smells as such. From my perspective, I would prefer more pop from the Virginias and a dash more Latakia. Heck, I would also spice it with some Orientals . . . Wait a minute. It's annoying when other people judge a blend for what it's not, and now I'm doing it. The truth is, I wanted a straightforward American English, but I apparently overlooked the "combination of three burleys" language on the tin. I hate it when that happens. If you like 'em big 'n burley, then add two stars.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This mostly burley tobacco has a hint of latakia. Goes good in a cob, but burns too fast for my taste. Burley is so much better in a flake, so it smolders and lingers. Won't buy this again.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (144)

This is a pretty good blend, perfectly balanced and possessed of great burning characteristics (it's almost as easy to keep lit as Carter Hall or Prince Albert). I don't feel I can add much to the numerous reviews already posted, other than to say that it seems to taste much better in a cob than in a briar and it should probably be aged a few months before smoking.

There was a brief time when I thought this was my holy grail. I have a deep and abiding love of American-Englsh blends that goes back to when I first picked up a pipe. The flavor is top-notch: you obviously taste a lot of burley, but there is also a significant amount of latakia. The VAs are used sparingly here, which means this is a fairly "bitter" smoke (think of black coffee). Most mixtures of this type use some type of casing or topping to introduce some sweetness to the mix, but Morley's Best eschews all that and instead embraces an "all natural" approach.

The first few batches were notable for how east they were on the tongue, but subsequent ones have given me serious tongue bite. I wonder if a different crop of burlies or VAs is to blame here. I initially had this ranked at four stars, but the bottom line is that this blend is well-night unsmokable to me now. I do, however recommend it if you have any interest whatsoever in exploring what can be done with burley. Tongue bite is often due to personal chemistry, and you may have better luck!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

For folks who like a little aromatic burley with their latakia. Simple, quaint even, and best smoked at a slow smolder. It is harsh if heated up, and remarkably not sweet to the taste buds however much the top note might signal something sweeter.

2 stars because it is good, not to be avoided, but nothing special.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Ive probably only smoked an ounce of this, maybe a little less. And I dont usually review a tobacco unless Ive given it more of a chance.However I think I can safely say, I wont be buying this again. My biggest problem with it is. Though there is no mention of cavendish in this blend. It has a flavor/mouth feel that is very similar to blends that have alot of cavendish in them. For me this is a big negative. It may not have any. Perhaps the mix of bright virginias, and the added flavorings, give it a gloopy cavendish flavor that always sends me away from a blend.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Bob Runowski has done the supposedly impossible with this tobacco: He has actually and factually revived the late and unlamented Blue Boar Mixture. If he (or anyone else) could do the same with the pre-Lane Ltd. Brush Creek, I'd be the happiest man around.

During my 35 years of pipesmoking, I've dumped out my share of blends that were just too sweet, hot, goopy, aromatic, etc.--but I can recall only two tobaccos I couldn't handle because of strength and roughness. Blue Boar was the rough one; John Cotton's Smyrna was the strong one.

Recalling the Blue Boar experience more than three decades later, I had to try this blend to see if it produced the same effect. IT DID! I would never have thought it possible. The same agressive harshness, the same nicotine whallop, the same fit of coughing whenever the tiniest puff gets beyond the mouth.

Stephen Vincent Benet began one of his poems, "Up in the mountains where the hogs are thin and razor-backed--wild Indians of hogs..."

If you want a wild razor-back in YOUR PIPE, then by all means have at it. If not, move on.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

I like distinguishedgentleman's review: A quiet friend who you know is there but isn't saying much. This is so much like all the other C & D stuff, but again, there's that oh so subtle tweaking of this and that on which you are unable to put your finger. I'm getting a bit weary of all this tobacco whoring I'm doing, and I'm trying to settle on about 1/2 dozen to 10 things I really could not live without. Thus, I'm glad I tried this, but I'm not running back for more. There's so many good C & Ds out there that for me, at least, this is just another way of saying the same thing a thousand different ways.

Three of five stars

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (136)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I found this blend to be rough and sharp. Unlike the other reviewers, Morley's Best was a disappointment to me. Maybe there's just too much Latakia for my taste. It reminds me of Barking Dog of which I'm not a fan. Tastes like a cheap bulk to me.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Morley?s Best is first and foremost, a Burley Blend.

The pouch aroma suggests a greater presence of Latakia than what I found in the smoke. The Va was virtually non-existent. The appearance is medium brown with some highlights here and there, very little dark leaf. MB packed well, and lit easily. Once lit, it stayed lit with virtually no effort.

The flavor upon first light was a bitter/sour rush of Burley. After a few minutes, the Latakia kicked in, but not in a major way. It quickly receded into the background and just got weaker from there. The Va never really made itself known.

Progressing through the bowl, I found this to be a very monochromatic smoke. It had a dry type of flavor that I hoped would be punctuated by the Va, but it never really was. The Latakia, being of the Cyprian variety, didn?t do anything to help either.

I understand that MB is a copy of Blue Boar ? which I have never had, so I cannot say how well the duplication was done. If it weren?t for the fact that this is a copy, I would suggest using a more robust Va, and a fuller Latakia ? but then it wouldn?t be a faithful representation of the original.

MB is too light of a blend, bordering on bland, for me to smoke with any regularity. I can possibly see this as a blend to enjoy when it?s 95 in the shade and humid, but you just have to get some yard work done.