A thick-sliced, broken flake in the Scottish tradition. Ripe red Virginia tobaccos are combined with a generous measure of fine Louisiana Perique and then pressed to marry the components and deepen the flavors. The cakes are sliced and gently broken before tinning. Fillmore presents an elegant sweetness and delightful piquancy, enhanced by a creamy richness that develops throughout the bowl. Sit back, and enjoy a lovely, leisurely smoke!

Notes: Fillmore was released in June 2006.

BrandG. L. Pease

3.1
Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Before I tender this review, I have an issue that I think needs to be addressed. I will try to fall within the guidelines of this site in addressing it. If I step out of line in any way, I do humbly apologize. But for those of us with a true passion for this hobby, there is a perpetual learning curve. Anyway, here goes.

There are many fine tobaccos out there, Pease among the top tier. One of the things that I think alot of smokers do not realize is that tobacco shares alot in common with wine. The better it is, the more fussy it can be. By that I mean you can always rip open a pouch of drugstore blend and you get what you get, good or bad. The point is, it probably is as good as it's gonna get at the moment of opening.

The opposite is true with the fine blends offered by many, such as Pease and the like. I have found through careful experimentation, that fine tobacco likes to breathe just as fine wine likes to do. It becomes "dumb" in the tin. It needs oxygen to "open" correctly so that all of the nuance can be enjoyed and percieved.

It also generally comes too wet. This is a precaution for tin preservation. A fine tobacco should have a chance to rest once opened. By all means give it a try, but don't put alot of stock in that initial bowl 5 minutes after opening the tin. That kind of haste works with peanut butter, but not fine tobacco.

My general experience is that I pop the tin and leave it uncovered for an hour or so. Then I replace the lid and let it sit for about a week or two, opening the tin briefly for a few minutes every few days. After about two to three weeks, the tobacco is almost without fail, stunning! I rarely experience excess moisture and am assured of smoking nearly every bowl to the bottom dryly.

Well, that's all the preaching that I have in me today. I hope I have helped some and not offended anyone. On with the review.

Fillmore is one of my favorite Vapers. It is probably one of the most balanced between the savory/sweet deep red va, and the rich perique dried fruit/spice. The flake is broken rather finely and I prefer it that way. I am only rarely an intact flake smoker. I like the rubbed out version better. Yes, it will smoke alittle hotter, but that will give you a bit of practice for your technique. Never a bad thing.

The flavor starts of with the standard hay and grass. Developes quickly into a far deeper and rich smoke with the hints of coffee, chocolate and yeasty baking bread. A fantastic combo to be sure. Smoke it slowly and you will be rewarded with one of the greatest tobacco flavors ever available. Dried appropriately, it smokes cool and dry to the bottom of the bowl.

I have aged this tobbacco for as long 5 years to great benefit. I'm shooting for 10 years on a pound or two. Will ahve to let you know how that turns out.

Thanks for reading, and sharing.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Wow! When I smoke this I keep saying to myself, "just right". The Virginias are some of the richest I've encountered. They need to be. For me there's a fine line between too much Perique and just the right amount. This blend walks that line like an expert tight rope walker that never falls over that line. It's just right. The richness of the Virginias doesn't allow the Perique to overwhelm them. Sweet and very spicy with notes of fruit down to the 3/4 mark. Then the spice mellows, the sweetness increases and it brings you down nice and easy. Artfully done. I'm am independent cuss and consider myself to be no one's "fan boy", but if I keep having these great experiences with Pease's blends I might have to just give up and roll with it.

Pipe Used: MM General, Peterson (05)

Similar Blends: Stands pretty much alone, but if I had to pick something I'd say C&D's Bayou Morning on steroids..

UPDATE 11/8/10

Still no love for this one. The excessive "periquey-ness" toned down a bit with the additional aging but I find this one harsh and monotone. I stated "flat and boring" below but I was referring to the other blends mentioned. This one was harsh. Additional aging tones that down a hair but I still cannot smoke this one. I'm donating what's left of this 2nd tin and my unopened 3rd tin, as I don't see this improving to the point where it is smokable. Too bad, as GLP blends are starting to come together for me. Not this one, however.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 3/24/09

After smoking a tin of several GLP blends, I'm going to do one simple review of all of them... Fillmore, Haddo's, Telegraph Hill, Embarcadero and a few others... because they all share the same issues. They all appear to be promising blends whose time has not yet come. With all the hype surrounding these blends and all the positive reviews, I couldn't help but try a bunch of them. But they all seem unrealized... flat and boring, without the complexity of taste and aroma that blends from McClellands uniformly have. There's not the balance of Dunhill Elizabethan or the pure explosion of flavor that Escudo or Davidoff Flake Medallions or some of the Rattrays blends have. There are many others too numerous to mention that seem to have in spades what these GLP blends claim to have but sorely lack.

I've decided that perhaps the tins of these I've smoked are too youthful, too insipid due to a lack of aging. Indeed, the ingredients, the cut and the color among other things make them appear to be of high quality. I'm going to cellar the rest of what I have for a couple of years and try again. GLP blends have largely let me down so far but we'll see what happens after a maturation process. Rather than write a bunch of less than flattering reviews, I'm going to wait these out and try again.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Obviously, the palates of true pipe smokers worldwide do the hyping of Pease blends and Filmore is just one of many examples of the blender's skill at creating blends with staying power and mass appeal. This can never be called a typical Va/Per even though the components are... well, typical for a Va/Per. Pease does something with this broken flake to make the Virginia leaf and healthy dose of Perique really shine. The flavor is more sweet than typical for this type of blend and also a little more powerful (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

Fillmore burns to a dry ash and can heat up just a tad if you get carried away with your puffing cadence. Keep the suck meter ticking at a very moderate level and the reward will be electrifying. Truly a remarkable smoke!

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

The first time I smoked Fillmore I thought to myself "Wow this is heady, tangy, spicy and a bit smoky even!" When I popped my first tin I could have sworn I caught a fleeting whiff of Latakia clinging to the underside of the pull top lid. Nowhere is Latakia listed in the ingredients but I later found out that there is a bit in here, however only in trace amounts.

The thing I admire most about this blend isn't that it's tasty, well it does happen to be very tasty, but I love how substantial the taste is. Some tobaccos are great for mindless puffing, but Fillmore is too rich for that. It's one of those mixtures that has helped to shape my cadence some. That said, I file this one into the Haddo's Delight section of the VaPer phylum. Strong Virginia/Periques with a twist if you will. Like Haddo's, Fillmore has layers of flavor with each puff giving a subtle variation of the one before. Some puffs are bitter-sweet and spicy, while others are earthy, smoky & tangy. Fillmore also has a creamy fig like richness that comes through in bottom of the bowl that's reminiscent of Esoterica's Dunbar, another darker tasting VaPer that I have grown to enjoy. Typically, I prefer Virginia Perique mixtures that are sweeter and brighter but much like Dunbar, Fillmore is an exception for me.

While I wouldn't favor this as an all day/every day pipe tobacco, it's definitely one that I will sock away a few tins of for future enjoyment. To get the most flavor that Fillmore has to offer, I prefer smoking this is a wide shallow bowl. A humble pot works perfect.

Pipe Used: Briar

There's less dark fruit sweetness from the red Virginia than I would normally expect. It has some earth and grass notes that get a little more obvious by mid-bowl, though the tanginess is consistently evident. That's all due to how it's aged before use. It's not a complaint, just an observation. The perique is very noticeable in a raisin, fig, and peppery way, which adds a nice dimension to the flake in the background. I also perceive a light undercurrent of smoke and wood from Cyprian latakia. The nic-hit is mild to medium. No chance of bite and has no harsh or dull moments. Burns at slightly less than a reasonable pace, cool and clean with moderately rich, fairly smooth, very consistent flavor from start to finish. Needs a few more than an average number of relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Has a pleasant after taste. Not quite an all day smoke.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

G.L. Pease - Fillmore. A Perique lovers dream!

The broken flakes are all uniform in size. The title 'Broken Flake' can occasionally be a bit of a misnomer; sometimes the blend is hardly broken yet in other tins it can resemble ribbons. With this the flake has been broken evenly leaving long pieces all about a quarter, to half a cm wide. The tin note is stereotypical of a strong Perique blend. Slightly sour, a little figgy and somewhat sharp. The moisture of the tobacco is great so zero drying time is needed.

For me, this blend falls into the category of three L's: load it, light it, love it!

It's easy to get lit and then the burn is good for the whole journey giving a mid temperature, bite free smoke. Straight away, I feel I'm dealing with a heavy Perique blend. As I've said before, sometimes with strong Perique tobacco's I get a cool/sharp feeling on my tongue from the piquancy and this gives me that sensation. The Virginia is far from un-noticeable, it's just tamer in comparison to the Perique!

The nicotine is about medium in Fillmore. It would suit me as an all day smoke.

This is my favourite G. L. Pease blend to date. Highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Toscana

Purchased From: Gauntleys

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Having tried Union Square, I was interested to see how other Fog City tobaccos tasted. So when the opportunity to try some of this came up, I didn't hesitate to acquire a tin.

A good whiff of the tin revealed earthy notes with hints of fruit, possibly something figgy. The flakes were nicely coloured as I've come to expect, medium and dark browns blend into each other subtly well. The flakes themselves break apart easily making packing easy. It is a little damper than I am used to with Mr Pease's stuff, but it's nothing a little drying won't solve. Even without that, the number of relights is hardly an issue. The smoke itself is where fun starts. It's rather strong from the off, so if you have a pipe with a small bowl, it's highly recommended for this stuff. It smokes a good long while too, even on a small bowlful so no worries on that score. The flavour for me was one of earth tones with a decent side order of figs and a light garnish of lemon, with occasional hints of plum. The only downside apart from the strength is that it does tend to gunk up the pipe a bit, however a little extra pipe cleaning after each smoke soon stops that being a problem.

I don't know what it is but there's something in this that reminds me of Peterson's Irish Flake, perhaps it's the fig flavour, but it lack the mustiness that I found in IF and is nice straight off the bat instead of having to rub out and leave for a couple of months that I found IF benefited from. The strength , the dampness and the gunk of this do slightly take the sheen off this but they are so easy to get round they don't detract from what is, for me, an excellent tobacco.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Belami Sablee 110

Purchased From: Gauntley's of Nottingham

Similar Blends: Irish Flake.

Much has already been said, from the cut to the composition of this blend, so I won't spend further words on this.

I am a fan of GLPease latakia-based tobaccos, but his Virginia offerings rarely have clicked for me: I am fond of Barbary Coast and Montgomery, I like Stratford very much, and I find the rest either good, OK or too strong for my taste.

Fillmore is no exception. While I like the flake cut, as it packs well and burns exquisitely, and I love the tin smell (fruity, deep, nutty)... I haven't been stunned by the actual smoking experience.

Mind you, this is a tobacco with a lot of personality, and quite different from most other Va/Perique flakes around. It doesn't fall in the category of "vary tasteful but plain sweet and sour, and bitey" (McClelland), or in the category of florally scented flakes (some Lakeland district stuff), or in the category of "very delicate, honeyed but wimpy". It is a strong experience in terms of flavour, and different from all the categories above although it has something in common, of course, with some of them.

Personally I find the taste of Fillmore nicely alternating between a dark nutty and caramelly sweetness, a citric sourness, and a hint of smokiness. So far, so good. What I don't particularly like is that in the second half of the bowl it becomes earthy and grassier, with some bitterish notes that I am not very fond of. Towards the end, it gets a slightly ashy and dirty character that covers some of the nice flavours I had experienced before.

Overall, it's not a bad tobacco, and if you are looking for a "different" Va/Perique flake (with a stout flavour and a strongish dose of nicotine, perhaps a bit too much for me) definitely give it a try. I have a couple of tins stored away, and I will check if aging helps in solving the minor issues I have had with my first fresh one. So far, I would say that it's an OK smoke but that I'd not be eager to reach out for another tin for a while.

2011 Update: Smoking a four year old tin now, and I can confirm my review. It has become smoother, less grassy, but all the rest still applies. Not a bad tobacco at all, quite tasty. However, I must point out a thing that I had not said in my previous review: I find this tobacco a bit too strong in the nicotine department, a thing which all other GLPease Va+Perique blends have in common. Unless I sip this one very carefully, and in a small bowl, it always hits me a bit in the stomach. Not as strongly as Haddo's or some Lakeland blends, sure... but still a bit too much. Give it a try if you want a nicotine heavy tobacco, because the flavour is actually quite good and it's very different from other Fog City offerings.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Fillmore is a deliciously rich pipe tobacco. The tin aroma is fairly smokey. The taste of Fillmore is pleasantly sweet (but not cloying) and spicy. The Virginias and Perique are well balanced throughout the smoke, neither predominating but both present from start to finish. At the beginning of the smoke, the Perique is a bit more prevalent but, by the finish, the Virginias come to the fore. The overall flavor is that of citrus, raisins, cinnamon, coffee, chocolate and leather.

The broken flakes benefit from a bit of drying out but are easy to pack and light even straight out of a fresh tin and burn completely to a dark ash. The taste is a bit stronger if not rubbed out and the tobacco burns slower, making for a longer, richer and more enjoyable smoke. However, even if rubbed out and smoked rather fast, there is no bite.

I would have to say that Fillmore one of the best GL Pease tobaccos that I have tried.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: 1 year old

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Fillmore, one of the G.L. Pease Fog City Selections, is a strong entry in the Virginia/Perique sweepstakes that has now been available for a decade. The Fog City series included eight mixtures, generally those that could be considered Virginia dominant.

Open the tin and you discover a brown broken flake mottled with some lighter colored flecks. The aroma is spicy and fermented, although the fermented note comes more from the perique than the vinegary tang that some fermented Virginias exhibit. The broken flake is a bit more moist than is typical for Pease blends.

Fillmore lights easily enough, even when not allowed to dry out a bit, but I do normally require a couple of relights in the course of smoking the full load. The Virginias, apparently both stoved and unstoved, exhibit the sweetness of red Virginia, although I suspect there are several varieties of this leaf present.The perique is obviously present, not strong enough to obscure the Virginia sweetness, and not in the quantity to qualify as a perique bomb. To my palate the perique taste is more present here than in Pease's Haddo's Delight and Cumberland, but those two blends have a more complex mixture of constituent tobaccos, a factor that tones down the taste of the perique element a bit.

Fillmore has a wisp of latakia, strictly a condimental amount, which does not offer an obvious latakia note to the taste but nevertheless gives a subtle darkening to the flavor. The nicotine content ranks somewhat above medium. This is not a nicotine bomb, but it will affect those sensitive to Vitamin N.

The taste of the smoke meanders between the sweetness of the Virginia and the rancid fig of the perique. Fillmore shares a strength common to Pease blends in that there is a complexity of flavor. The taste varies puff to puff as the bowl is consumed, sometimes creamy, sometimes raisiny, sometimes tangy.

I smoke Fillmore in the pipes that I normally use for Virginia and Virginia/perique blends, but on occasion I will use one that normally gets only aromatic blends, which works for me OK. The room note is pleasant, the Virginia base predominating.

Smokers who have not tried Fillmore but who like perique will find this offering a delight. Differing tastes determine which blends make the regular rotation, but I cannot imagine a perique lover who will not greatly enjoy Fillmore. Fillmore is also recommended for those who puff on perique blends only occasionally. Again I emphasize the variety of flavors offered in the course of smoking the full pipe load.

For the segment of pipe smokers who do not like perique: Fuggedaboutit!

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

A flake that has been neatly sliced into thick ribbon like pieces. It is fairly dark in colour with golden highlights.

The tin note is dried fruits and pepper.

The pepper continues on after lighting. This tobacco burns well and produces pillows of creamy smoke. It is sweet, tangy and fragrant all at the same time.

GLP describes this as an elegant and leisurely smoke. I have to disagree. While there is plenty going on at the top end, this is no 'hay and lemon with a hint of pepper' type vaper. There is a Phil Spector type Wall of Sound happening with the mature virginias that defies a leisurely experience. This is to my mind, a serious tobacco. The perique is at the limits of my comfort level, and I like perique. I found it a tremendously focusing smoke that concentrated my mind, rather than soothed it. I'm reserving this tobacco for the beginning of those roll up your sleeves and get stuck in to something you don't want to do days.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Visually, the dark, broken flakes are very attractive. Just the right moisture level. Fantastic tin note is reminiscent of McClelland Virginias, but more dry and less tangy on the nose. To my taste the Virginias used in this blend are even better, and very different than what you get with some other GL Pease VaPers and hybrids. Takes a match well and burns straight through. Age only enhances the experience. But I've found this to be a blend I can smoke right out of the tin.

Fillmore is simply a fantastic VaPer. The Virginias here, again, are superb: smokey, vinegar flavors with a very full taste and mouth feel. There is a tang here that suggests some Kentucky, but may just be the stoved Virginias. I really think Greg Pease out McClellands McClelland with this one: a tangy Virginia that doesn't overpower with the ketchup/BBQ flavors. By mid-bowl, the tang has mellowed and the Virginias smoothen out to perfection. Fillmore is musty, spicy, and stout without ever being abrasive. That said, this is a tobacco for the experienced smoker - strong, heavy, and robust. The Perique here is applied generously and is on the peppery side of the flavor spectrum. This isn't a stewed-plum style VaPer.

Fillmore produces rich, creamy and voluminous smoke even when sipped slowly, with one of the best burns of any VaPer. The finish is dry, and Fillmore leaves nothing in the pipe but dark grey ash and memories. Highly recommended for both the Virginia and Perique lover. In my top-five. Outstanding.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I recently stumbled onto Fillmore the other day. I'm at a point in my pipe smoking that I don't search for the next greatest tobacco. There's some beauty in being satisfied with your “go to blends”. So, for whatever reason, I bought a tin Fillmore on a lark. The tin aroma is wonderfully earthy. A woman friend thought it smelled vile, that in itself suggested promise. It appears not to be topped in the hope of making the tin note more appealing. Flakes and broken flakes can be, for me, a nuisance by the inconsistency of the burn, but not Fillmore. The tobacco's tinned moisture level was more than I care for, so I packed a little looser. Well it smoked like a dream (effortlessly). It isn't as sweet as my favored Royal Yacht, but it has this spicy note that I find irresistible. The slip stream smoke from the bowl is an added benefit, and a stubby pipe I would recommend. It has ample nicotine without overwhelming me like twists. Like RY it allows me to control the nicotine throttle. It really is different than other VaPers. I wouldn't be surprised if it had other varietals in the mix, but I'm beyond trying to dissect a tobacco blend. I know what I like and I like Fillmore.

I've been frequently smoking Fillmore and want to edit my opinion of its strength- It is just medium in strength. Regardless, it's really quite a fine tobacco. If an aromatic smoker was looking for a natural flavored tobacco this blend is perfect. I can smoke this blend all day.

BlackDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlackDawg (3)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

While Fillmore is a fine blend right off the shelf, this review concerns a special tin dated 2007. I wish I could report that I had the foresight and self-control required to allow this tin to age. The truth is, however, that I had simply forgotten about it and discovered it at the back of my cabinet. If you are wondering whether it is worth cellaring tins, and Fillmore in particular, I can assure you that it is. The tin was bulging slightly when discovered and offered great promise. What would I find inside? The slices remain intact and rub out quite nicely. The moisture level is just right if you rub it and let it breathe for a few minutes before packing; The aroma has ripened past the usual raisin scent to a darker fig or date nose. At this age, Fillmore has a rich, full-mouth feel with plenty of smoke. Few lights are required, and you cannot make this baby bite. The Virginia remains lovely and has greater depth. The Perique has melded into the mix. Like an older violin, the timbre has become incredibly rich and sweet with the passage of time. I've now worked my way through my Danish (Tonni, Hedegaard, Heeschen, J. Larsen) and my Italians (Castellos and Regina Scarlatta) . The Fillmore is singing sweetly in each -- indoors and out. My cousin favors me with a vintage tin of Capstan from time to time; this is quite close but perhaps even more flavorful. I'm ordering more and will report back in 2025.

Pipe Used: See above

Age When Smoked: 2007

Purchased From: smokingpipes, I think

Similar Blends: Capstan Blue.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)

This blend is very tasty and it is ideal for Perique lovers. Indeed this mixture contains a considerable amount of Perique and I think it is the only mixture in the market with so much Perique. Without any doubt a high quality mixture and really a great puff, but in my opinion and in my taste too much Perique is contained. For this reason in my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 9 and 3,5 stars.

bubbleonce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bubbleonce (3)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco had 3+ year of age on it and was opened for that time when this review was done.

The tin aroma is slightly sweet and very tangy with a hint of plums. There is also a note of darkness to it that I can't quite describe. There is a very small amount of Latakia in this blend (2% I think). I didn't smell it at first and I had to keep looking for it. After a few minutes, I picked up on a very faint hint of it.

At the start of the smoke the sweetness jumped right to the front and was accompanied by a light spice. The body of the smoke is a little fuller than most other VA/Per's that I have smoked. This could be due to the small amount of Latakia in the blend, which I do not taste or smell.

This is a good blend and I like it. It smoked slow, cool, dry, and didn't bite. It has a great, complex flavor profile that keeps it interesting. The finish is very pleasant and leaves a nice, clean sweetness. The smoke is full and creamy. It won't win over my favorite Dunbar by any means, but it's a good VA/PER blend none the less.

Thanks for attention. Alexander

Pipe Used: smooth Dunhill billiard gr. 2; Bari dublin gr. 2

Purchased From: 2010

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: 11/06/06

Aroma: The tin was swelling when I popped it, and oooohhhh such a sweet delicious experience! That waft of delight reminded me of a sweet, malty ale from Coopersmith's microbrew in Fort Collins, CO. Or maybe Fat Tire fresh from the tap at Old Belgium Brewery on Linden Street. I've smelled this same something in sweet dessert wines too, perhaps something like a Muscat. Add in the sweet aroma of dried fruit and sugared ginger, with just a hint of hay and grassiness, and you've got Fillmore, one of the best smelling tobaccos I've experienced to date. Literally, my mouth waters just smelling this stuff! Who needs to smoke it? But I will sacrifice my time and energy to smoke some of this just for my brothers and sisters at SF.

Appearance: A beautiful broken flake, thickly sliced and soft, easily broken apart, medium brown with lighter striations.

(Did I mention the tin note is amazing? I open the jar and whiff it like every 30 seconds or so…can't help myself…)

Flavor: This tin has had four years to discover its identity so it ought to know who it is by now. Here's what the Pease website has to say: “A thick-sliced broken flake in the Scottish tradition. Ripe red Virginia tobaccos are combined with a generous measure of fine Louisiana perique, and then pressed to marry the components and deepen the flavors. The cakes are sliced and gently broken before tinning. Fillmore presents an elegant sweetness and delightful piquancy, enhanced by a creamy richness that develops throughout the bowl. Sit back, and enjoy a lovely, leisurely smoke.”

So let's talk about this. “An elegant sweetness…” Yes, that's certainly present in the tin aroma. I imagine that this amazing smell (I did mention that the tin note is amazing, right?) has been enhanced by its four years in the tin. I may have to buy a new tin just to compare (hopefully you experienced Fillmore users can chime in here on the differences). This elegant sweetness is also somewhat present in the room note which is actually rather nice. But it comes across least emphatically in the smoke, since the Perique is up front trying to steal the show. I would not call this a sweet Virginia blend. Which bring us to the…

“Delightful piquancy…” I don't know how much Perique constitutes a “generous measure” but that in-my-nose Perique tang is certainly there. The tang abates a bit as the pipe progresses. I would like to know the percentage of Perique in this blend just so I can get a handle on it. Some blends put just enough in to feel it as a spice, but here you really can taste the pungence and earthiness, which provide an excellent contrast against the Virginia sweetness (which I think is precisely why the sweetness does not come through as strongly in the smoke as in the aroma – it's very effectively counterbalanced by the “delightful piquancy”). The balance is good – any less and it would be just another VA with a little Perique thrown in. Any more and my nose would sting to the point where it just isn't enjoyable.

“Creamy richness…” Problem here is I want to huff and puff and lose myself in the flavors, but with too much heat it gets harsh and ashy like any obedient Virginia leaf, so self-restraint and good VA-smoking technique will keep the tang subdued and release some of that cream. But it's not the creamiest by a long shot, and I'm not sure I would have used that word. That quintessential sweet richness present in any quality VA (like Union Square) is here, but it's not nearly as accessible as in US. I had to be very careful of technique to draw the flavors out and prevent that ashy harshness from manifesting. I think the Perique acts like a grumpy schoolmarm, making sure you obey the rules or pay the consequences.

“Lovely and leisurely smoke…” It can definitely provide that, although it's got some strength behind it. Should you choose to obey the schoolmarm, then you will be rewarded with what is a very typical and pleasing VAPER experience: rich slightly sweet Virginias with tangy and earthy Perique, combining to create that synergy where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It performed for me exactly the same in the briar and in the Meer, meaning it is very consistent, a good quality. Fillmore is a very good VAPER but not one of the best I've had. I would place it at three stars just because it seems a bit too finicky to me, like a high-maintenance girlfriend (or boyfriend, for you lady pipers). I've had that experience before. Bittersweet to say the least.

(Oh and by the way, the tin note is amazing!)

hedgehog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hedgehog (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

Short version: clear, strong, refined, warming, peppery, in short, this tobacco is made out of vodka.

Longer version: I will try to say what I mean when I say that this tobacco is made out of vodka. I do not mean that it has been cased with spirits. I do not mean that it tastes like potatoes, or that it will make you drunk. I do not mean that it is useful for cleaning pipes.

What I mean is that Fillmore has become for me the tobacco equivalent of vodka. It is so thoroughly refined, so purified of any excess or extraneous element, and in that sense so perfectly transparent, that it delivers an effect similar to that of a neutral grain spirit. A part of this effect is its strength. The perique powers through the whole bowl, and while kept in perfect equipoise with the mellowing virginias, it creates (especially on the retrohale) a fiery warmth, a warmth which like vodka's has nothing at all to do with heat. Lately I've been smoking it outdoors in the cold early-winter months, and I've had no trouble convincing myself, as I look out over the glacial till of my rust-belt state, that I'm actually staring out over the wastes of the Russian steppes, covered in furs, accompanied by my Borzoi hounds, waiting for the wolves or Napoleon's armies to arrive.

Do I love Fillmore? Yes. Sometimes. Just like I (used to) love vodka. Sometimes. I don't recommend drinking vodka or smoking Fillmore all day long, though some Russians or Pease aficionados might take issue with that.

I've found that with Va/Pers, one really tends to like what one likes and to stick with that, whereas with Vas, VaOs, Balkan's etc, its easier to have eclectic tastes. For me, all VaPers aspire to Escudo, and Escudo is what I smoke. Where Fillmore is clean and sleek, Escudo has a little more texture, a little more opacity, and feels to me a little woolier. If I were sticking with the booze metaphor (and I seem to be) then I would be more inclined to compare Escudo with a lovely light Scotch, such as I remember Lagavullin to be. When I smoke Fillmore, I feel that I am being ritually purified. When I smoke Escudo, I feel refreshed and invigorated.

Is this a superbly conceived and executed tobacco? Yes. (It's not nothing to find a way to make a tobacco out of vodka, without using any vodka.) Is this my favorite Va/Per? No, but I do recommend it.

Pipe Used: Narrow U-shaped bowls. Brebbia 8311 is ideal.

Age When Smoked: 2 years.

Similar Blends: Escudo.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I received about a three bowl sample of this one from a forum buddy and I was very impressed. I normally don't review a tobacco after three bowls, but have nothing negative to post about it and it was all I had to smoke.

To start with I echo all below that this has a lot of perique, so if you don't like a lot of perique, then pass this one by. If you are not sure how much Perique you like, then this is a nice one to test your limits with. If you find it too strong just cut it down with some Virginia. I had a little left and combined it with some OGS and it was better than the OGS was straight, to my tastes anyway.

I think that this is the most perique I have encountered in a blend, so I clearly am in the camp that loves this leaf. The tobacco smokes great. Nice and cool and did not require many relights. The nicotine is ample as can be expected with a high perique content. It is a really satisfying smoke. I had all three bowls in my Altinok Talon Churchwarden and the combination was great.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Lots of Perique.

This is a very good blend, and for some it will be their Holy Grail, their desert island tobacco, their every day, all day smoke. For the lover of Perique, this may be it.

The Latakia is barely there, not even noticeable at times, just the way I like it. The Virginias are sweet but somewhat subdued by the Perique. There is no tongue bite, even when abused or puffed hard and fast. But smoke it as slowly as possible to get the sweetness of the Virginias and the flavor of the Perique. Nicotine dose is medium.

Tin note is wonderful. I love to take the lid off and inhale deeply. Like some of the other Greg Pease flakes, it comes quite wet.

A unique VaPer blend, ideal for those who want the emphasis on the Perique. A strong three stars.

Excellent with an ice cold root beer.

Update 25 September 2010: I can't resist comparing it to my other VaPers. After a head-to-head with Escudo, alternating days with each tobacco, the Fillmore is bigger, sweeter, slightly heavier on the Perique, more full in general. The Escudo is milder, easier and more forgiving, more of an all-day smoke for me. The Escudo also is easier to pack and keep lit than the Fillmore flakes. I definitely have a place for both tobaccos in my rotation.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased Fillmore over a year ago, as the date stamp on the bottom indicates. So this is a lightly aged tin of the tobacco. Prompted by the review in the Fall 2008 issue of Pipes and Tobacco, I opened it and smoked a bowl. Their review is "dead on". However,unlike the P&T review, my bowl never heated-up staying cool the entire smoke. I believe this is because I rubbed the broken flakes out.

Smoked in a group 4 well seasoned Charatan bulldog Canadian, I rubbed the tobacco out before packing. On the charing light it was earthy and spicy. As the smoked progressed it was a fine balance of sweet, spicy, and earthy flavors. The tobacco burned well, stayed lit and was a great smoking experience. I enjoy Perique/Virginia mixtures, and this one is top shelf.

September 19, 2010: My tin of Fillmore is now 3 years aged, and the bowl I smoked today better than ever. I rotate among many different tobaccos and I am only getting back to another bowl from this tin. It was a GREAT smoke. Aging has improved this broken flake.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

GLP should get the award for truth in advertising based on his accurate tin description. The high quality dark tobaccos, inviting tin aroma and nicely prepared broken flakes greet you when the tin is opened. Moisture content was ideal for me and packing without further rubout was easy. An effortless, cool smoke resulted with no condesation, bite or relights. I felt that the Perique influence was greater than my preference from the initial light to the last puff and left too much of an aftertaste. Perhaps OK after a meal but not an all day blend. I'll stick with Solani 633 or McClelland 2015 for that where I feel the sweeter VAs are more evident.

Goose55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Goose55 (15)

I had smoked a tin of three Fog City Selection blends back in the fal of 2016, when we all thought McClelland was a forever company. I have revisited Fillmore again and am totally wowed by it. I am not adept at describing all the nuances of a tobacco so I will just honestly say that it is a scrumptious, delicious VA/Per.

Pipe Used: Bent Scoop

Purchased From: 4Noggins

SunriseBoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SunriseBoy (16)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Well, after reading carefully the reviews here I bit the bullet and got two 8oz. tins. The reviewers are just over the moon about this blend. After a couple of bowls my lips, mouth, tongue and upper palate are still burning from the pepper heat. Just way over the top. The worst smoke I've ever had.

Pipe Used: Cob and Tobago

Age When Smoked: Out of the bag

Purchased From: CupOJoes

anglocatholicpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anglocatholicpiper (17)

Whoever said this blend was a darker, creamier VaPer is absolutely right. It's nice to have a Pease VaPer- a change from Mcclelland's Virginia/Ketchup vibe. It doesn't taste like any other VaPer I can remember. Really like it. And love the thick broken flake cut.

Pipe Used: Altinok meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This was a good Virginia Perique blend. Very Periquey. It had a nice nic hit. I would not place it on my list of all-time Va-Per blends. Nor would I put it on my all tim favorite G. L. Pease blends. But it hits the spot and is decent.

Most tobaccos IMHO improve with age and for me, this is especially true with Pease/ C&D Virginia blends. I have several that I struggled with that I am revisiting and Fillmore is one of four of them. So for the “What it’s worth” department, this is based on a five and a half year old tin (9/09). The tin scent is a mixture of sweet and sour with some raison and fig. The sliced cake has darkened with age. In the pipe, the perique can’t be missed as it’s there to be fully noticed. The sweetness and tanginess of the red Virginias are there too, although not overly sweet. The sharpness has somewhat subsided with age, a good thing. One of the things that I like about this tobacco is that it is very slow burning. I have smoked it dry, my preference, and very dry, it either way it burns slowly although a touch of moisture more than I normally prefer makes for a better smoke. I tend to be a bit of a puffer and have a pipe in my mouth most of the day, but Fillmore offers too much perique for me (and I like perique) as a regular smoke. I find this to be especially true if I push it and I have to be conscience of this each time that I smoke it. All in all, age has improved this blend considerably. I didn’t like it at all early on, but time has served Fillmore well.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Hmmm. Let me preface this by saying that I don't know if me or the blend was the problem.

This stuff dried out super quick. I took some out and it was damp, and left in on a sheet of paper for about an hour before filling. In that time, it went very dry and was hard to pack and it was flaking.

Lit up quick and easy, and there is the issue, I don't know if the hot and bitter taste was that I dried it out too long, or that is just how it is. Regardless, it was hot and had a bit of a bitter and unpleasant stingy taste on my palate.

It calmed down though, and I found that sipping was best as any amount of quick puffs made it go very hot.

The smoke was thick and dense of good quality VA and a hefty dose of Perique. It was fairly mono the whole way, but I noticed it needed a lot of tamping and attention. The ash was clean and white, and down near the end it got a bit more interesting with some heavier flavors coming through.

All in all, a bit disappointed. Again, it could have been too dried out, but it was just a fairly heavy VaPer which needed a lot of fiddling with to get it to behave with a big tendency to burn hot.

Pretty hefty Nic hit too.

Pipe Used: Bent Cherry

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another Pease blend with considerable bite (pH out of whack).

The Good: burns well and packs well.

The Bad: insipid flavour, bland, and tends to shut-down as it combusts.

The Ugly: pH out of whack.

The Better-Half: rarely does my beloved commented on the post combustion room note and I especially enjoy the heaviest of Latakia/Oriental blends. The comments were alluding to excrement from sheep and the like. Dare I say somewhat accurate, not a pleasant room-note and the briar afterwards is quite infused a stubborn nasty ghost.

There are far better blends in this genre, Samuel Gawith St. James flake comes to mind.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)

What great stuff. I could smoke this all day. I'm not half way through the tin yet, and yet, i know i'll order some more. Classic full bodied smoke but not at all overpowering. As always, first rate tobacco is used and i really like the combination of the different virginia's. Americans should be proud you have the finest living tobacco blender serving your smoking needs.

Kaziwazee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaziwazee (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Fillmore is a tobacco that has to be approached with a bit of respect. If you smoke it hard, it will rebel. Smoke it gently, and you will get moments of bliss - I've had my share of both.

The first time I smoked Fillmore, I thought I was going to be knocked out for a few hours -and I was! It appeared to be much too strong for me. I actually had to resort to smoking half of a bowl. Then, I began to smoke it slowly and the taste was amazing. Right now, I'm smoking a full bowl of this everyday, and it's just great. When I'm done smoking Fillmore, I don't need a second bowl of anything. It fills you up.

This is becoming a favourite of mine -and it is my first VaPer mixture. Quite an enjoyable smoke. Give it a chance, you may like it.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)

I will start by saying I haven't spent much time with this blend....yet. In fact this is the first Pease tobac I have ever tried. I have been working on broadening the spectrum of my experience with VaPers, and this blend is in fact an exerience to behold. It's very well packaged and is a delight to look at and smell upon opening. An easy way to describe the tin aroma would be, "fermentation". There is a definite sweet smell happening here, but it is firmly backed up by a touch of vinegar and a firm foundation of earthy leather. Looking into the tin you are greeted by dark red/brown chunks of broken red VA flake, which displays great brindle thanks to the Perique with which it has been liberally dosed. Tobacco Reviews has latakia listed as an ingredient, but I can not find it here and it is not mentioned by the tin description Mr. Pease has provided us. I had popped the can open a week or two back just out of curiosity. I was surprised at how soft, supple and velvety the feel of the leaf was between my fingers. The moisture content was noticeable, but it didn't seem soggy or gooey. I did not leave the tin sitting open to the air for any real amount of time, but did pop the plastic cap once in a while to take a big whiff and finger the bits of tobacco so as to check its humidity. Seeming stable in condition, I figured I should smoke this blend next.

Filmore packed easily, without fuss, and was easy to control as far as arrangement of the leaf and control of the density in the bowl. I have taken to a method where upon I place unrubbed pieces of broken flakes in a generally vertical fashion at the base of the bowl. These are not really packed in firmly at all. Then with the next pinch, I will take a similar bit of tobacco and place them in the bowl laying sideways on top of the flake from the first step. Next, take a generous portion of leaf from the can and roll it into a ball which is just slightly larger than the diameter of the bowl chamber, and press it down on the first two layers. In my case this results in about 5/8 of the bowl being filled. I will then add another layer of flake laying on its side, another "plug", and then sprinkle the top with some finely rubbed shreds of leaf. I find this makes for pipe that lights easily, needs only minimal attention with the tamper, allows for tobaccos which like to expand great deal(this one), and maintains an easy draw. Another benefit to this method is the different way each of the layers in the bowl will burn. The light fluffy bits on the top take to flame very quickly like kindling in a campfire so as to get things moving. The "plug layer" burns even and steady creating a broad cherry on top of the whole bits of flake which will burn in a slow, cool fashion to release the goodness flakes are known for. The lighting procedure was simple and took two matches. Char, puff once or twice, tamp, light....and we're off to the races.The only way to really describe the overall result with this method is a "cacophony of flavors". I get cocoa, leather, chili pepper essence(not the heat), sweet -tart red Virginia, a deeeeeeep earthy flavor that comes and goes which I can only describe as slow roasted mushrooms. That great buttery pastry flavor is in there(which is one of my favorites) when you snork or retrohale. The complexity and ever evolving nature of this weed makes it great as meditative tool, but it is also such an easy, pleasant, comforting smoke that it could be a more than once a day blend for the care free puffer. This baccy smokes cool, and mild, with no bite. It only gurgled once, but the pipe I have been smoking it in is known for that, and always at the same point about midbowl, no matter the blend. The nic hit was there, but it didn't seem to beat me up, but I think I am bit more tolerant of the vitamin N than some others. Some have mentioned bitter ashy flavors coming through, but I don't think it is a problem with the tobacco. It is mostly user error. I noticed this once or twice when I over tamped the bowl at mid smoke. Dumping the ash resolved the issue entirely. The leavings in the bowl are the classic salt and pepper ash granules that a good VA is known for. The tiny bit of dottle doesn't seem overly soggy and dumps easily. As much as I have enjoyed this so far, I may go for a bigger 8oz can to keep around. I do wish the number of stars one could give was more refined. This is a 3.75/4

Happy puffing!

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

I smoke English blends most of the time but I can't stay away from this blend. It has been taking over my idea of what I want in a "go to" blend. It's that good. You have a sweet creamy Vaper here with an earthy flavor. It's very close to what I remember of my old morning smoke "Murray's Dunhill Elizabethan ". However this is a slightly sweeter smoke, and a tad better. And yes you are reading a review from a man who found the old Murray Dunhill tobaccos superior to all others. I am so very happy that this one can be smoked without bite or getting too hot. This one gives me a little nicotine buzz, so pace yourself. Be aware that this is not your typical sweet Vaper, but it is outstanding in its own way

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

My top of the bowl, initial impression from this blend was of a Virginia-dominant flavor which was certainly not assertive. A bit sweet, and the nicotine is there even at the beginning, but nothing that stands up to demand your attention in the first third of the bowlful.

A bit past the middle of the bowl, I felt the tingle of the Perique as it melded with the Virginia. Personally, I felt that the blending of the Va and the Per is acceptably balanced. This is the point when I started experiencing a more distinguishably tobacco taste, which was welcome. After that, it remained smooth and pleasant to the end of the bowl.

Pleasant is the term that keeps suggesting itself to me. I do not particularly appreciate strong tobacco, so I tend to be comfortable with a mild to medium blend, although I found that the nicotine content, for which I have a low threshold, was definitely present, particularly by the second half of the bowl. For me this could be a choice for a relatively sedate, relaxed Va/Per option when I'm avoiding a jolt and want something that I can handle better at my age. It is not an all-day smoke for me, although it came close. IMO, letting it air and "breathe" for a couple of days does not take the place of actual aging in the tin. This blend needs that aging, probably one year at least. I've continued to smoke a bowlful here and there. I experienced some improvement and deepening of the richness and taste. So I bought another tin to age for a good year.

Conclusion: a pleasant enough smoke, especially when you want a quiet one that won't distract you too much or grab you by the throat. A solid three star blend with some potential for a better rating, particularly after some aging in the tin.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)

Very nice virginia blend, lots of body and flavor. It burns slow and cool, lights easily, and I have no problems keeping it lit. This is what I think virginia blends should be, pungent, balanced, full flavored and smooth with flavors ranging from earthy/grassy to sweet and slightly bitter at the same time.

The perique, although noticeable, doesn't interfere with the virginia delivering its goods. The room note is "tolerable" and let me explain why: My wife doesn't mind the latakia note, but she actually complained about this one and said it smelled somewhat like a cigar with a hint of something else. I liked the room note though, and I have to agree this blend has a slightly "cigarish" feel. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying this tastes just like a cigar, it just somewhat captures a slight hint of that feel.

The packaging is kinda weird with the layering thing they have going on. Now, let me address a few complaints some people have made about this blend. I did not experience ANY bite at all, it was not harsh, it was very easy to keep lit and I personally thought the moisture content was good. You have to keep in mind that pipe smoking presents a wide range of flavors and experiences and since our tastebuds are different you are likely to enjoy this blend different from how I did.

Me? well, I think tobacco has to have a certain level of moisture, you may wish to dry it a bit before smoking it but I thought it was good the way it came. Aging it? well, I think the truly important aging of tobacco takes place before it is packaged, I have tried the cellaring thing and after 5 or 6 years the blends I've aged have improved very very little (almost unnoticeable). Last, I personally think fine blends such as this come the way the manufacturer intended them to be enjoyed, you can disagree with me and age it for 100 years if you like, my tastebuds say this blend has been properly aged and is ready to be enjoyed.

Definetely recommended.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

This broken flake comes in 2 tin sizes....2 ounce and 8 ounce tins. I have a couple of the 8 ounce tins and so my review is from one of them. Not sure how old the tin is as the date stamps are blurred but it's companion has a paper sticker dated September 08 on the base. Once the lid is popped one is greeted by the sight of a broken flake set in layers between paper dividers...which I dumped straightaway. The flakes are medium dark brown with lighter flecks and the smell is pleasantly sour spicey with a citrus undertone, very clean and fresh. It smells young and therein lies it's weakness.... To put it simply...as far as I am concerned this tobacco is marketed far too quickly to live up to the hype written on the label. It's not a bad tobacco by any means but it's far short of it's well known competitors, at least smoked as young as it is. I found it very one dimensional; there was no depth, no richness, no spicy suprises. Greg is a master at either marketing his products or tobacco blending. I completely agree with the first but the jury is still out with the second.

joeljcj2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joeljcj2 (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

this is a very pleasant va-per. just enough perique to add a bit of spice, rich va depth and flavor. burns okay--like a good flake. gl pease seems allways to make a high qual tobacco-not much stem, fairly uniform. i agree that it drmatically improves with age. thus is a medium strength tobacco, no caseing noticeable, just a rich tobacco flavor. i also enjoy st james, and several other va-per blends, but i think this delivers a uniformly high quality smoke. it does require a discipline puffing-it can get hot if oversmoked. pricey but excellent

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Hahhh... This is nor good nor bad tobacco. To me it does not give much pleasure in smoking.

My rate: 2,3

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)

Original review: This is a great blend but a bit finicky. Sometimes I have difficulty in getting it to burn to the bottom of the bowl. I've experimented some and I think the best option is to rub it out pretty well. Often with these broken flakes I just stick them in the pipe as-is, for example, with Embarcadero. With this, some rubbing is I think better.

Fillmore is probably my favorite VA-per. It's not heavy on the perique, but has enough to keep it from being bland. I've had fresh stuff, but like most Pease blends I find this better with a few years. I celebrated one of my tin's 3rd birthday by opening it, and it's been very good so far.

I like this blend so much that I could stock this and Kensington and be just fine for 90% of the pipes I smoke in a year.

EDIT I've smoked a good deal of this by now and I think that the more time I spend with it, the more I enjoy it. It was already rated four stars for me but I enjoy it more now than I did before. Sometimes I feel I can get a bit of the 2% latakia, but it's one of those things that you'd probably notice it more if it were gone.

I've also experimented with smoking this with the air pocket method, and find that to be very good way to smoke this.

Highly recommended once again.

EDIT 2 This has been a summer standby for me for years, but the 2 oz I smoked this summer seemed too much for me. I don't know if my taste for perique blends as a whole is fading, or if I prefer less perique in blends, but the perique hammer that is Fillmore just seemed over the top to me this year. I'm knocking it down to 3 stars.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)

At the risk of sounding pretentious, this blend is exquisite.

Semi-sweet, deep Virginias blended with just the right amount of perique. The latakia is very muted and only makes itself known once or twice a bowl, kind of a faint hint of burning woodchips that fades away as soon as you notice it. The flavor is unique, and somehow manages to balance sweetness with an imposing sense of depth. Like most good VAs, there is complexity here -- a little cinnamon, a little ginger, and a little citrus all seem to come through at times. But the star here is the perique, which adds plenty of the stewed-fruit flavor that it's famous for while curbing the tendency of the Vas to burn your tongue.

This is a remarkably SMOOTH smoke with very, very little bite. Unlike other VAs, however, I find it works best in a large, deep bowl that gives it plenty of time to smoulder. The broken flakes rub out easily and burn very slowly -- I can get two hours out of a medium sized bowl.

An easy four stars, and easily my favorite VA/PER.

Indian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indian (13)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

The tin - Upon opening the tin a strong delicious smell resonated from the tobacco. Spicy and tangy scent with a little smokey background. NUMMY STUFF that made me run to my pipe!

The prep - I love to rub this stuff out. It leaves my hands smelling great and really built the anticpation. I used the Frank method to load this and drew on the pipe to get the taste before the light. Again NUMMY STUFF!

The char light - WOW! what a combination of flavor and spice and everything nice. I didn't want to continue because I knew that it would come to an end.

The top 1/3rd - It is hard to pin point all of the flavors going on here. Spicy and sweet but mostly spicy. Smokey like jerky, and creamy like......well......cream. There are some other things going on that I cant even describe except to say its NUMMY STUFF.

The middle of the bowl - It is balancing out now with the dominating flavors being peppery, buttery and creamy, but the others are close behind with so many operating in the background, kinda of leathery or eathy, still that it is just delightful and complex.

The bottom 1/3rd - It is really creamy and smooth and mild with the Perique hanging out just enough to please the Per. lover. Damn is this giving me a head rush from the nicotine. Wow. The bowl is done and I WANT MORE, if I wasn't so dizzy.:-)

Summary - This is an excellent tobacco, I love it. It is everything it says it is AND MORE. Very clean burning but a little dottle left. (of course I got out the torch to get that burning too) Wow. talk about depth. If you have ever wondered what people are talking about when they talk about the complexity of blends then try this and you'll wonder no more. definetely a 4+ star for me. One of the only 4 stars I have given. Did I say it's NUMMY STUFF???

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)

This blend is DEEP. Great earthy, dark, slightly sweet, its like dark chocolate. If you enjoy the sacarine sweet and lemon sour of run of the mill VA/Per's, uhh...don't smoke this. This is in the same realm as Peter Heinrich's Curly and Three Nun's. It starts with some of the hay flavor I associate with the Rattrays Virginias, and it drops low and mellow, stopping just short of being "cigarlike". This has the nictine freight train too. If this was a beer it would be a Scottish Wee Heavy. And as far as the previous reviewers who have made note of its latakia content, they either got one of the tainted tins described on GLP's website, or they are mistaken about what latakia tastes like.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (19)

Another reviewer mentioned Christmas in August. My experience was similar. Do you remember Christmases of your youth - maybe a few of them when you wanted some special gift and you saw a package that was the right size, so it was hard to go to sleep and wait for Christmas morning? Well, that happened to me this Thursday. UPS did not deliver an anticipated package from smoking pipes.com until 8:30p.m. or after. They also did not ring the doorbell - so I did not find the package until 10:15p.m. That was after my last smoke of the day. Still, I could not help myself and I checked out the tins that had arrived. What greeted me upon the opening of Fillmore was this almost intoxicating aroma. It was what I would imagine it to be like if one were transported to the fields of Scotland.

I am learning the value of cellaring from those of you on this site. However, I just HAD to have a bowl the next day. It was creamy,smooth and yes there was some peppery perique. Enough perique to keep one wanting more of this wonderful blend. Years ago, my then local tobacconist had a blend similar to this and it was good. However, only four of us bought it on a consistant basis - so it was discontinued. Fillmore far exceeds that blend in terms of enjoyment. I will keep looking, from time to time, but this will probably be my favorite VA/Per. This deserves at least five stars.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Fillmore is a delightful, well-balanced VAPER where the perique and VA harmonize nicely with each other. This blend evolved with a welcome richness and deepness without becoming outright bold or stout. It also had a distinct, earthy edge to it. These latter qualities make this blend unique and stand out from many other VAPERs I have smoked. That?s about it?????now I gotta go fill more Fillmore in my pipe!

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.85 out of 10.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)

Well, this is my first Pease outside of the original mixtures that I rate 4 stars. An outstanding Va/Per flake that smells delicious, burns well, and most of all, the taste matches the presentation. A balanced blend of sweet and spicey that I look for in a Va/Per flake. I could smoke this anytime. I burned through my tin quickly and can't wait to buy more for consumption and storage. Hurray for the change to flakes on this one!

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am sampling a tin of Fillmore that is only a month old, but I can tell already that it is keeper. I have a few tins aging, and I suspect it well get even better. Initially it remins me somewhat of Gawith's Full Virginia Flake with its depth and creaminess. I have not tried one G.L. Pease blend to date that I did not like.

flaminbill' with a Savinelli Luxor

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've smoked my first and second tins of Fillmore over the past month and a half, just to give this blend its due. When I haven't been able to decide what I want, I reach for Fillmore, it has yet to disapoint. Fillmore is an exquisite smoke. Peppery and sweet, it keeps me interested thoughout the bowl. The broken flake is a perfect presentation. This flake starts off grabbing your attention, then mellows and sweetens all the way down to a fine white-gray ash at the bottom.

As good as it is now, I'm stocking up to cellar. In a year, two years, or five years time, I think this is going to be a classic, and many VA/P's are going to be judged in comparison to this one.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)

This is the first Pease tobacco I've tried, and so the question I must ask myself is, "why have i waited so long?"

I am primarily a smoker of English/Balkan blends. I worship at the feet of the first person to burn camel dung to flavor tobacco (joke, folks...), but my second great love in the world of tobacco are VA/perique blends.

Upon opening the tin, I noticed the beautiful cut of this tobacco. The moisture looked a little high, but I took a chance and smoked it without letting it air out. unbelievably, it is consistantly one of the driest smokes I've had.

The tin aroma is something akin to a higher quality fig newton. IT burns quite cool and has a sweet, but spicy flavor.

Update 2/23/13: smoking a little Tsuge nosewarmer full of this stuff from a tin marked 10/17/06. Age has turned this into one of the most gentle, smooth, sweet, but peppery tobaccos I've ever smoked. The tin was opened in 2007 and about 1/3 was gone. No jarring or sealing, just the little white plastic lid. The moisture level remains high. Still smells so damn good. The room note is sweet and a tad boozy. Can't wait to smoke more. Nice. Nice. Nice job, Mr. Pease. A genuine masterpiece.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)

Mr. Pease has outdone himself with Fillmore! This is a new look and taste for the masses. It packs very nicely into any size pipe. The burn quality is, in a word, effortless. It has been trained not to bite - even when I try to make it misbehave! Taste - exquisite! It burns clean to a grey ash. An absolute MUST for any vaper enthusiast. My tins were only tinned last month. If it is this good now, it scares me to think of what aging might do. This is a "being alone on a deserted island" smoke for me. It is quite possibly my favorite tobacco in my 32 years of smoking a pipe! I really don't know what else to say. My highest recommendation!

topdogue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
topdogue (13)

This mixture is apparently the last one of Mr. Pease' Fog City collection. The theme was to be Virginia. All but Fillmore are ribbon cut. I am a self-professed fast puffer, so flakes in their various forms are typically my favourites as they allow me to puff away without scorching my tongue. Fillmore is a flake that appears to be what some European blenders call ready-rubbed. It requires little preparation before loading into you pipe. I have smoked Fillmore in both regular Italian-made pipes and Italian 9mm filter pipes. The activated charcoal in German 9mm filters will tame the edges of many young blends, but Fillmore does not require "taming" straight out of the tin. It is medium brown and fairly monochromatic in the tin and has a wonderful aroma. Spend some time just smelling the tin before you get into smoking it. Good stuff that smell. It packs easily if you are familiar with flakes and starts up without much fuss. Fillmore burns down to a grey ash very evenly and will not require relights. It has that peculiar characteristic of all GLP blends to burning to a sudden stop without warning at the bottom. No gloop at the bottom either. The flavour builds to a fairly complex, interesting Periquey flavoured smoke that will keep you interested throughout the smoke. With a littel age, this tobacco will have some great richness. Fillmore does not have a high-octane kick of nicotine, but for VA/Perique flake lovers, this is one fabulous mixture. Buy several tins and store them and every six months open one to experience the change in the VA. I love this stuff.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)

As much as I hate semantics I am deducting a star from this wonderful blend... ummm just a little latakia unadvertised.. thing is.. it works. Perfect Smokey compliment... just something I would tone down about 10 years before I introduce it to a Virginia dedicated pipe.. and by that time it will be so delicious it doesn't matter.. Nice rich tobacco.. the Virginia is nice and full and the perique is delightfully present.. nice alternative to the much lighter telegraph hill (sometimes you feel like a nut).. another wonderful pease blend.

bangalbhuut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bangalbhuut (6)

never bites and stays lit very easily. but too spicy and too dry. went through an 8 ounce tin. don't think i will be getting any more of this.

Pipe Used: dublins, apples and brandies

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (59)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

I think this is the best flake from Pease. Red virginia (winey-like) and perique (chily) So this is like smoke cheap red wine with pepper. I dont like red virginia (american tradition), so if you like red winey virginia, try it. If you prefer european virginia (grassy,citrous,leafy ones) stay away. Good quality, just boring for me do to the boring souced-winey red virginia. Winey : like red wine, but cheap one, drugstore wine, poored with water.

Muchogum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Muchogum (7)

My first Virginia/Perique blend, so while not a newbie at pipe tobaccos, I am definitely "newbieish" at this blend. However, I like Virginia flakes and Virginia Burley blends best!

While Fillmore is obviously a very well-made blend, it's principal adherents will be those who like a peppery mouth feel and a bit of sand in the back of the throat! I find the blend to be much like cigars that have a peppery component to the smoking experience, which I can happily do without.

That said, the blend is a pleasant interlude, albeit in shortish bouts with a pipe. De gustibus non disputandum est! Into the personal blend on the back of the stove it will go!

Pipe Used: Dunhill Billiard

Age When Smoked: 2-3 years

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Swiss-smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Swiss-smoker (62)

Neatly arranged broken flakes that look like little sticks (or thick toothpicks). Perfect moisture. I do not rub it out, I directly stuff these flake sticks into the pipe for best results. Excellent smoking conditions. Pleasurable slow and cool burning. Even if you draw at a higher pace, you never get tongue-bites, it only raises the temperature slightly, never up to a problem.

The blend is composed of Virginia and Perique exclusively; no casing, no flavouring. The Perique is much more peppery than fruity, and this pepper often dominates the smoke. The Virginia mainly releases bread notes and almost no sweetness. It irritates me that every bowl is quite different. Some may find this interesting. Personally I would prefer considerably less pepper out of the Perique here, and a wider palette of Virginia flavours.

Age When Smoked: New, out of the tin.

Purchased From: Internet, www.smokingpipes.com, USA.

bklynpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bklynpipe (9)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The description of the component tobaccos seems to refer to some blend other than Filmore. The slices are indeed soft and of a dark to medium color. Most surprising is the tin aroma. There's no hint of Perique that I can detect, and it was a bit reminiscient of Plumcake in a distant way. I thought there were perhaps some Orientals here. Then the Beggin Strip commercial came to mind - bacon, bacon bacon, IT'S BACON! Anyway, that's how it smells to me. The taste is sharp from the start and doesn't vary much. No sweetness from the Virginias either. Fillmore is a stout blend and if that's your thing, you'll like this. Interesting blend, but I don't predict buying this again.

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes.Com

An ok blend, no bite, but I found it tended to burn hot. The Perique is medium but not interesting, if you sip this , you can get a nice sweetness. What you won't get, is a lot of flavor, it's very one dimensional and very subdued. I also don't find this strong enough in the "N" department for me.

Another strange feature , is when lighting; the tobacco " rises" excessively with just the slightest touch of the match and falls all over the floor. I find myself needing 5 charring lights , retamping the tobacco back after each time, not to ignite it, but to keep it in the bowl. The result is a 1/4 of a bowl left on the table or floor after a light. "Caution", don't try using this tobacco while driving or refueling your lawnmower!!!

PS.- I really liked " Tripjoker(64) 2009-03-30" review and agree. My review was based on just what he said NOT to do, my tin had only about one week of breathing and no aging. I'm sealing the remainder of my tin and will revisit in a year.

Updated 2016/02/16- I still feel this on burns hot and just doesn't do much for me

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: 2 month , one week open and 2 years

Similar Blends: hotter burning and stronger H&H " Louisianan Red" or Anniversary Kake.

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Dark Virginias with plenty of Perique. I couldn't smoke this every day but when I want a strong, full-bodied smoke, I reach for Fillmore. You've got to take your time with this one or the flavor and nicotine can be overwhelming.

I'm upgrading my rating on this tobacco because I reach for it so often. It burns well right out of the tin (needs no drying time) and is complex enough to never get boring. A lot of reviewers state that they "don't smoke a pipe for the nicotine". Well, I do! Nicotine is part of the smoking experience. Fillmore delivers in the taste and nicotine departments - there is no trade off whatsoever.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (47)

I know this blend doesn't need another review and no particular reason not to give it four stars. Smoking my first bowl in mid sized, narrow, ashton billiard that has had, I believe, only VA? pers smoked in it (It's a memory thing, I bought the pipe new). Opening the tin you get the figgy VA/PER scent you expect from a quality VA/PER a little drying, a little breaking up the bigger pieces, and it's a fine smoke. There's a tendency to compare it to other VA/Pers, like, say, escudo. I have one open can of escudo and several cellared --- yet we all continue to explore just the same. This compares favorably and if I ever run out of escudo I won't complain about smoking this. I'll let y'all take or add a star when you try it, you know you will. I haven't smoked many Pease blends. He seems to use high quality tobacco. UPDATE You know I've been smoking cigarettes for forty years, cigars for twenty, and pipes for ten. Name a heavy hitter and I've smoked it, from those damn blue French cigs I can't pronounce, Cuban Partagas, every black stoved Virginian and heavy Balkan blend you can name. Yet this fairly normal partially rubbed out Va/per makes me dizzy with nicotine. The first time I thought it was the drugs (they're legal, messed up back'll get you buttloads of pain killers) but no, I've gone through a tin of this, from narrow group 3 Dunhill to a broad geppeto stack, to a beautiful Becker apple that's never steered me wrong. Still feel like I drank a pint of whiskey afterwards. Same figgy smell when opening the tin you expect from a good va/per, packs well whether you rub it the rest of way out or not, burns cool for a va/per, nice white ash. I don't know, maybe I got the tin they put all the nicotine in, I'm telling you though, I have a high tolerance for nicotine and this stuff, at least this tin, knocks me on my ass. That's why I'm giving it four stars. That and it's as good as any va/per on the market. I have a sentimental attachment to Escudo and Reiner's long golden flake is in its own class altogether, but still, compare all day long if you want, Fillmore may not exceed but it'll pace your best. Plus, if it's not a fluke, this stuff'll get you high.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Tin date 6/16/2006

My first thoughts on Fillmore was that it was borderline overwhelming. After a little tweak in my intensity of puffing, I found Fillmore to be quite sweet and savory. I don't think I'll confuse it with an all-day smoke. After Thanksgiving turkey or any big meal, it is a nice way to unwind and reload on the N. One of the knocks is that it is so high in nicotine that one really doesn't want another pipe for a while. Maybe that's a good thing?

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (33)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I'm beginning to think Va/pers aren't my thing. I've really enjoyed perique in other blends such as nightcap and haddo's delight. Maybe some like it in good measure, but presently I seem to prefer it in small doses, where it is a supporting character. I am going to try to smoke it more slowly next time. The smoke can be a little harsh and on the spicy peppery side. Perhaps with some age it will mellow a bit and then I will find it more enjoyable. Rating: less enjoyable. I was hoping for more, I really wanted to like it. Like I said though, perhaps Va/pers aren't my thing...at this time.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)

First quarter of the bowl is a heavy per. After that, the remaining bowl is of top quality,semi-sweet virginia that has been beautifully flavored by the remaining per. this will age to perfection... I can't wait... The best Va/Per on the market(IMO)and taste great in a corn cob.

hufflepuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hufflepuff (8)

I popped a tin from 2006 and the aroma was a beautiful thing. Raisins, tangy and earthy smelling. Another well balanced Pease blend. Upon lighting I get a nice muted sweetness from the virginias. The perique it there but is not overpowering by any means. The 2% latakia, per GLP, is was really makes this blend stand out. It adds to the earthy flavors of the perique with a subtle smokey tanginess. Overall I found this to be an interesting twist on the traditional VA/Perique and will be buying more.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)

I am reviewing a tin from 3/2007 which was opened late 2007. I found this in my "cellar" and it's still moist and smells great- earthy, spicy and a touch of sweetness. This reviewed tin has obviously been opened greater than 12 months as it is Jan 2010. The reason I like more moist tobacco is that it can sit and naturally breath without rehydration.

Tasting is so subjective but to me the entire smoke was mostly a very nice creamy, rich and earthy VA with the added spiciness from the perique. Not the sweeter VA of McClelland (which I very much enjoy) and this makes this blend different and enjoyable.

Overall I'm glad I have some aging because I will revisit this often.

BigWhiteWilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigWhiteWilly (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

Where's the perique? Very flat aroma. It started off spicy and changed to just another dark virginia blend with no depth and little character. Honestly, where's the perique? Just the right amount of it does magical things to virginia, but it is just barely present here. With more age and more perique this might be a good one, but with so many blends and so little time, I won't finish this tin.

Brakepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brakepipe (7)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I tried very hard to like this blend through three tins, but it is impossible to light. I tried everything - rubbing and drying, taking pieces and trying to smoke as a true flake, combinations - it was always a battle and one that I quit. It seems to me this blend would fare much better as a true, unbroken flake, aged for a year or two, rather than this "neither/nor" mishmash. That's a shame, because it's got some rich, deep virginia character in the 2 minutes when it burns.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (47)

This is just a wonderful natural blend. The virginias are arranged in just the right harmony and then the melody is added.That strange weed from Louisiana is introduced and the overture is complete.

I have smoked it new and old and truly enjoyed it. I now age a can every year. I would age more, but Mr. Pease makes a lot of fine products to share the cellar shelf and Telegraph Hill is a kinder and gentler, but noteworthy blend.

Pairing suggestion: This just goes quite well with scotch whisky or irish whiskey or a mid-range ale. Slainte.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Fillmore is a very well made, classic VaPer that will surely please most VaPer fans most of the times. The only drawback is its lack of character. This is not a Haddo's style love-it-or-leave-it blend made for specific moments: this is a regular like-it, all day good smoke. Very good in fact, but not exceptional.

Will buy a tin from time to time, but it won't make it into my regular rotation.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)

I like this GLP offering quite a bit. Drying time is required and slow puffing is the order of the day in order to enjoy this one. It reminds me of a cleaner tasting version of 2015.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

After I got it dried out and aired out a bit I lit up the first of five bowls before I wrote this review. If there is anything to be said about GL Pease I will say that his tobacco is consistent. Every bowl was exactly like the other and there were never any hidden surprises or let downs. This blend comes in what I would call a broken flake. There were still some pretty big pieces in there that I rubbed out so that the whole tin was pretty consistent size-wise. The appearance is mostly dark brown with some lighter or darker spots here and there. This is listed as being a Red Virginia with a ?generous? amount of Louisiana Perique mixed in.

This blend packs really well. So well that I had to dump it a few times because I felt that I had packed it too tight. Upon lighting this blend up I was greeted with great billowing white clouds of some of the creamiest tobacco I have ever tasted. It lasted through the first five or six puffs and then the perique joined in it created a mix of both creamy and spicy, peppery and chocolaty that I haven?t encountered in any other blends so far.

About halfway through the bowl I also started to detect some hints of caramel but very faint and somewhat muted in the background. Something that I also found is that this is a very slooooooowwwwww burning blend. It will keep you around for awhile but it is worth the extra time.

The end of the bowl was more of the same but I was finally realizing just how much nicotine is in this blend. It?s not bad but it is definitely noticeable.

Now this blend is definitely not a sweet Virginia blend as are most of the others so far. This one I can only classify by saying that it is mellow. Mellow in a good way. Mellow like waking up after an afternoon nap or going to a jazz bar to drink and hang out. That?s what this blend is like. No bite, no hassle, pure enjoyment.

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)

Read the other reviews; they cover it. I'll save a bit of space by not spouting about what's been said. A smallish tin of dark, broken flake that lights well and stays lit fine. No surprises. I like this tobacco. It's a good VAPER, sweet and rich. Not overpowering. I think it tastes like what the beginning of fall would taste like if it were a tobacco... A good smoke, one I'd recommend to anyone who likes Virginia. Kind of a little brother to 2015 I guess. Recommended. 3.5 stars.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

You know, I just did not care too much for this tobacco. And I do not believe it is a matter of my personal taste, but rather something weird going on with quality and assurance over at Pease. I have heard so much good about Fillmore, even tried it on Greg's recommendation. So this was a much anticipated blend for me.

Tin aroma was peppery, dark, and not at all sweet as I expected. The tobacco was extremely damp in this year old tin. It smelled of tobacco, predominately perique. Lacking were the nice oaty va. aromas. Absent also was the nice haylike aroma of a young va, as well as any sweet/spicy aroma of a stoved va. I honestly did not know what the hell this was supposed to be.

Undaunted, I packed and lit up. Yup, peppery; tangy, but not like a stoved va. I know not where the perique in this flake came from, but the tang was borderline rancid. Halfway through the bowl, the sweetness of the va. seemed to not be developing at all. And the really weird thing is, I was detecting undertones of oriental tobacco, bordering on hints of latakia. What the hell was going on? I double checked the tin; GL Pease Fillmore. I double checked the description of the tobacco inside. Something is not right.

Now, it is possible, in this case probable, that I got a rancid tin. But, this is the third tin of one of Mr. Pease's tobacco I have opened to find it either too dry to smoke; completely lacking in flavor within days of opening; or rancid. And I have bought them all at different retailers at different times. Therefore, I feel it my sad duty to rate this blend low simply due to what appears to be a lack of quality assurance at the manufacturing end.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I find it humorous to read the reviews that compare this blend to Haddo's, either positively or negatively. Yes, both blends have Virginias and Perique. They are both made by Greg Pease. They both come in cans. That's about it, folks. If you buy Fillmore hoping to find "Haddo's, the Sequel", you will be disappointed. However, to my taste, Fillmore is so much more refined and classic than Haddo's. Fillmore is an excellent example of refinement and power. I may upgrade to four stars after more experience with this blend, but it's still to young in the tin for now.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)

A beautiful blend to behold in tin or hand. Pease's first flake, and ready rubbed for easy packing. Tinned the thick ribbons look like soldiers ready to march.

Tin aroma is lucious and inviting.

It burns steady, dry and cool. A richness develops down the bowl. It has a mellow, light fruity (not aromatic) taste.

The perique plays its part giving the blend a little zip in the last half. Not a heavy perique blend to me, and I don't believe it is suppose to be.

The red Virginia must be similar to that in Laurel Heights, but being pressed n flake form here before final cutting and tinning, the flavor is spread out more. The perique also subdues the sweetness a little more here than the dash of latakia does to Laurel heights. The latter is a bit heavier with more of a nicotine hit too. Fillmore by comparison is milder.

I smoked a full tin with attention over several weeks -- about 25 bowls to more than break in a 50 plus years old small algerian Genod briar and still had about 5 bowls left to try in a small Barling transition and a Wiley horn for comparison. She smoked a little sweeter in the Barling and Wiley but I think the last 10 or so bowls in the algerian was a truer test.

The main taste is definitely of a fruit-like, sweet red virginia, but due to the pressing the sweetness is softer than Laurel Heights, or perhaps shall I say creamier. For that reason, I still prefer Laurel Heights more (or a McCranie Red Cake), but I think with added months of aging the red virginia sweetness will come through more in Fillmore. It may surpass the pack of red virginias at that point.

Mr. Pease's website compares Fillmore to say Escudo, at least in flavor (no coins here). This is a fair comparison. New Escudo also needs some extra time to age in the tin to bring out the sweetness of the red Virginias in my opinion.

But again this in just my critical opinion. Others have told me they find the sweetness and perique touch just the right thing in this blend from the get go. I have to agree that, more aging or not, the taste of the tabak out of a new tin seems mature enough. I just have been jaded by the majestry of some of Mr. pease's fine tobaccos (Montogmery, Laurel heights, Haddo's, etc.) to expect more than I deserve. My three stars here to my four for Laurel Heights is like comparing one masterpiece to another. A star in this high grade category may be worth five in lesser categories.

Buy this and age some tins. This is destined to become one of the best tobaccos in the world. I have a half dozen tins aging with others in the Fog City series. I like it, but no stories this time. The genie in the mirror will have to wait (see my Montgomery review).