Long cut Cavendish, Virginia, toasted Burley and Latakia flavored with caramel and vanilla. A little more aromatic than No.272.

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAmar Blends Co.
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Latakia, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Brandy, Caramel, Vanilla, Whisky
Strength
Taste
Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Strange blend. The name really says it all. Its a sweet english. Its a rather traditional english blend similar to Dunhill's 965. In the background is a wonderful caramel flavoring. The flavoring really makes this blend stand out. Mild and sweet in the background of a fantastic english blend. The room note is actually very pleasant. Somehow the caramel casing comes out above the latakia in the room note making this an oddly aromatic english blend. Long story short Sweet English tastes like an english with the background note of caramel and smells like caramel with the background note of latakia. Interesting, odd, and lovely.

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (12)

The first scent of the tobacco was decidedly "agricultural" - a somewhat unpleasant odour, but strangely not off-putting!! The smoky 'haze' of latakia, although there, was certainly NOT predominant in the tin aroma, though, happily, it is present in the smoke [much to the annoyance of occassional by-standers at this smokers residence!!] and in the taste.

The tobacco, after lighting, is one of the most pleasant experiences I have enjoyed since returning to the pipe earlier this year! Smooth, with an edge that is pleasantly 'unbalanced,' cool, rich smoke if smoked vigorously and a good "slow" burn if allowed to relax.

As this tobacco was tried after a month or so of C&D 'light aromatic therapy' [Autumn Evening, Milk & Honey] to restore my palate after some truly awful stuff bought from local suppliers here in Australia, the impression left was of a strong stone-built house with solid, unmoveable foundations [metaphorically speaking] - a tobacco to lean on when others seem to fail. Not flashy, or really grand and outstanding, just relaiable, like a good friend. I doubt that Sweet English would offend a young smoker broadening their horizons - you do not need to like latakia blends as there IS a modest sweetness here, but NOT of invert sugar compounds liberally added to hide low-quality leaf!! NO: The leaf seems quite acceptable - the Cavendish does not overpower with sweetness, the virginia brightens it a little and the blending has produced a fairly-well balanced mixture.

My bulk supply was at about the right moisture content to smoke well and I haven't had to dry it out at all. One minor incident though: I left the tobacco jar unsealed with about 3oz therein. When re-moistening, I found it hard to get 'back' to the optimum moisture level. Perhaps I'm getting a bit finicky in my "maturity," or the tobacco is a bit that way. Irrespective, after a bit of fiddling, I'm smoking through the 're-juvenated' leaf with the note that the 'agricultural' smell has been reduced, and the very mild caramel-like taste of the "original" is now a little more pronounced!! For me - no problems.
Mme Nic O'Tine is there in the last 1/3rd of the bowl, but only a 'threat' if you smoke too far down into the dottle!!
Enjoy!!

Pipe Used: Asstd. Petersons & Stanwells

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

This is really a delightful tobacco. First impressions showed a mix of ribbon and dark leaf in the bag of C&D'S usual quality. I could not stand the initial aroma. Reminded me of movie popcorn butter. I gagged. Let it air overnight. Next morning was more caramel and vanilla extract with a smoky Latakia undertone.

I initially smoked with great trepidation in a Grabow "big pipe" I use for aromatics. no filter and have sampled about 7-8 bowls of this. The closest styled tobacco I can compare this to is Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake and Altadis Count Pulaski....flavored aromatics with Latakia.

Tobacco lights and burns without fuss. The initial flavors/aromas are caramel and sweet with Latakia more in the background. mid bowl, the flavoring becomes less pronounced and the burley taste and Latakia smokiness takes control. Near the end a little virginia sweetness is periodically discerned. But, it must be noted that this mixture is never Latakia fwd, nor do the aromatic qualities disappear. The room note pleasant, but does have some Latakia which I love, but some others find unpleasant.

I recommend this blend. It's a winner and a good change of pace tobacco when you want to sample aromatics or something unique without the negatives of typical aromatics like gurgling, etc. It's well behaved and burns all the way down. Give it a try.

A very nice blend. The underlying (American) English is very tasty. Would be good all by itself. The addition of the "caramanilla" flavoring adds a very nice touch. More caramel than vanilla, but both are detectable. A very pleasing aro. Mild to medium in body and flavor. Great change of pace for me.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Initial lighting I gave this great caramel taste with a hint of latakia english. It was one of the smoothest smoking and lighting I have ever encountered. It smokes long and light if you choose.

The strength was of a mild english. Towards the end the caramel kind of faded and turned into something that reminded me of 965, and a strong C & D english.

The main taste I got was caramel however. The Latakia kept it smooth, and smokey, and complex.

The room note was good, but weird. The wife described it as nougaty, and woodsy, but enjoyable. I enjoyed it.

In the end it was a great smoke, and one I would highly recommend to all smokers.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, Peterson System (Bent)

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Almost 965.

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a stick in the mud traditionalist, I really should hate this...But, oh brother,...When I received this and opened the bag I was hit by a strong vinegar odor...Well, at least I only ordered an ounce to sample...Lit-up, sat back and this is one of the most delightful C&D blends I have ever smoked...How in the world did I miss this until now?...Definitely in rotation.