The Cherry blend combines sweet-smoking Cavendish leaf with a sound kick of cherry casing, for a very flavorful smoke. Exceptionally mild, delightfully aromatic.

BrandCaptain Black
1.5
hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (13)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Not a good choice for a real pipe smoker. This is the worst cherry i've ever smoked. No taste, smells like linctus. Hot burning tobacco.

PipeChick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeChick (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Just coming back to pipe smoking after 25 years away from it, and after about 2 months, I'm so far happy with experimenting with different tobaccos. Experimentation with this blend will definitely not happen again.

I pick up a pouch of the stuff as I was low on money and out of my Davidoff Blue. The smokeshop I went to (first timer there) had pretty much only sisha, hookahs and cigars, but they did have Captain Black cherry, gold, white and royal. So I said "Sure why not, I'll try the cherry".

Out of the pouch, it smelled good.... a bit like candy....not over the top, but I was hoping the smoke would have a similar taste. After lighting, I was disappointed. Another reviewer here described the taste as similar to cherry chapstick and that's a good description. I actually thought the taste was reminiscent of the nasty cherry flavored penicillin my doctor used to give me as a child.... Tasted like I bit off a chunk of cherry chapstick and washed it down with the cherry medicine. It seemed to smoke hot with me and had a slight bite to it, no matter how slow I smoked. I gave it a chance to get halfway through the bowl to see if the flavor would change. Nope.

I was driving at the time, and the car smelled okay, but something about the lingering scent gave me a slight headache as inhaling furniture polish might. Later in the day my car didn't smell anything like how it did when I smoked it....it made my car smell stale....sort of like a cross between wet dog, cherry chapstick and cheap tequila.

As a lady pipe smoker, a few guy friends of mine assumed I would try this stuff. "Don't gals like aromatics?" one of them asked. And while I do like aro's, I'll probably never buy this again.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The cherry taste is too chemical-like. I wonder if someone got a good deal on left over cough syrup? There's a light vanilla note or two here, but nothing really saves this blend. Burns too hot, also. There's too many better cherry blends on the market to bother with this one.

Zappa2112 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zappa2112 (1)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Tastes and smells like a cheap stale cherry chap-stick. Sort of plastic smelling. Cherry cough syrup maybe too. Very thick, sweet and syrupy pouch note. A tad bit dry. Overall, an unpleasant experience.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well, I like it. I bought this on a whim and was scared when I opened the pouch; the cherry aroma was strong. The first light and first quarter of the bowl taste like chemical cherry, but after that it dissipates and you are left with a sweet and pleasant Cavendish. The cherry flavor is present throughout the bowl but it becomes less and less pronounced as you progress thru the bowl.

As far as bite: I experienced none.

Another big surprise is that my pouch was not overly moist or sticky. I don't know if Lane just changed the blend or what, but the tobacco was dry.

I think this is the only Cherry blend that I have actually enjoyed and will keep around.

captainbismo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captainbismo (1)
Strong Strong Overwhelming Unnoticeable

ABSOLUTELY THE MOST LOATHSOME PIPE TOBACCO I'VE HAD THE MISPLEASURE OF SMOKING. I WOULD HAVE THROWN IT OUT IMMEDIATELY AFTER OPENING THE PACKAGE, BUT MY WIFE, IN AN EPISODE OF LUNACY BOUGHT ME THIS TRASH, AND FOR MARITAL HARMONEY I SMOKED VERY FEW BOWLS BEFORE FLUSHING IT DOWN THE TOILET. I'D RATHER SMOKE DRIED OAK/PINE LEAVES AS ME AND MY FRIENDS DID IN OUR EARLY ADOLESCENCE. ABSOLUTELY/POSITIVELY REVOLTING (AND THAT'S AN INSULT TO THE TERM REVOLTING)!!!!

Pipe Used: Canadian; meerschaum

Age When Smoked: ????

Purchased From: Smokin' Joes

Kiyle A Winborne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kiyle A Winborne (4)
Medium Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

Putrid, and smells bad.

Tastes bad, smells bad, is bad.

I cannot stress this enough, but if you do not believe me, I implore you to just take my word on it, and do not waste your money on this.

It tastes like cigarette tobacco with cherry flavoring put in.

Pipe Used: Terrible in all pipes.

Age When Smoked: ??

Purchased From: Gas Station

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (16)
Very Mild Extra Strong Full Extra Strong

I like to do a review of a tobacco once I've smoked a tin/pouch to get a fair assessment based on a couple dozen bowls. I can't do that with CBCherry. I can't bring myself to load another bowl with it. This stuff is nasty. Overpowering sickly sweet pouch note that you can smell across the room and permeates all tobacco it is stored with. Burns hot, terrible flavor, no appreciable nicotine, and for your trouble it ghosts your pipe like Halloween night. The saving grace is room note but by the time you get that far into it you are overpowered by the scent already and just want to be done with it. Got the pouch for $1 and I get the feeling I've been taken. Unfortunately I'm too cheap to discard it and I don't know any other pipe smokers to "gift" it to so I guess I'll use it to make an insecticide in the garden or chicken house.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow grand duke

Purchased From: local yokel

Pappy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pappy (4)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

I thought this would at least be tolerable but after giving it a good try (a full pack), I have to say that it was complete disappointment.

It smelled like a very strong chemical topping, smoked hot with an extreme tongue bite and had the flavor of hot ash.

One of Captain Blacks extreme disappointments.

bostonsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bostonsmoker (6)

Captain Black cherry is a very nice cherry tobacco. Not an in your face flavor, but just enough for an after dinner or morning smoke. It is heavily cased and moist making it smoke wet and hot. If you dont sip the pipe you will get a bite. If packed right, and smoked right its very pleasant. Better than Admirals Choice cherry but not as good as Owl Shop cherry.

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

On my endless search to find the perfect cherry blend (I love anything cherry) I tried this. Never knew cough drops could be used in tobacco manufacturing, but I guess they can. I will keep searching for that perfect cherry blend.

ZenForest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZenForest (3)
Strong Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

If you like a strong taste of cherry and a strong room note, I found this to have both ! Really enjoyed it. Leaves a great aftertaste too, which for me, is a plus. I could smoke this all day long. (and have done so). It's a bit pricey tho at the retail outlets....., and I seem to have a difficult time finding it available in bulk pricing.....but as for the tobacco itself.......I REALLY enjoyed it.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Bleck!! Bleck!! Ewww! Gross!!

Into the potpouri dish it goes...only thing its good for, might damage the glass though...ok the trashcan.

Quincy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quincy (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One word: Yuck.

I picked up a pouch with a pipe when I first returned to pipes. I didn't mind it at first. Now, after being back into pipes for awhile, I know why people don't smoke this crap. It tastes like cough syrup. I didn't notice it at first but maybe because my palate refined more or this just ages horridly, I can't take it. Awful.

Starbase3055 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Starbase3055 (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Mild if moist. Gets harsh as it dries out. Too sweet for my taste. Syrupy smell that permeates from the pouch

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This stuff is very Mild, the cherry flavour and taste also. not bad, but it is not the best Captain Black's tobacco, neither the best Cherry.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I don't dislike CB Cherry per se, but as others have mentioned there are better cherry blends out there. This stuff isnt all bad though and it seems to taste a little better with some age on it (I've had some in mason jar for about a year now) which is nice considering that aromatics usually dont age well. And of course the room note is great.

Having said that, if cherry aromatics are your thing then obviously it would behoove you to seek out some of the better ones. However, as a cheap, once in awhile smoke, its ok.

insnekamkze86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
insnekamkze86 (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I decided to try this blend because I love the taste of cherries but was hestiant because a lot of people hated the cherry from captain. I also got to mix with a bad tobacco I got Peterson old Dublin. Not bad mixed together but a lot better by itself. I understand why a lot people don't like this blend because it does taste like a cherry cough drop after a while if not like syrup substance.

I most taste the black cavendish that's in the blend mixed high a very high dose of cherry casing. The casing is so strong you can smell it thru the bag unopened. Once you pack a bowl and lit up its not that potent to taste. Beginning to quarter of the bowl down its a relaxing cherry cavendish smoke which is very enjoyable. Then once you get to about half way down the cherry taste frys coarser and turns to a syrup liquid taste but not overpowering like some say that gives them headaches.

There are better cherry blends out there than this but it will do if your in a pinch and get the tobacco you really like. It's not good tobacco but its not terrible either. I didn't get a lot of tongue bite but I was smoking out of a churchwarden which probably why I enjoyed it so much. On re lights I did get some tongue bite but it was minor and annoying. But if you do smoke it too fast it will let you know and bite hard pretty much telling to stop for a second.

It's a decent aromatic to try and is cheap about 5 bux. But to some the cherry casing might be to overpowering so if you get some just smoke it slow and you be to go and will enjoy the cherry smoke. I think they did a good good considering its in the bottom of the barrel selection

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (35)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

You either like Cherry flavoring or you do not. I use to use "Dip" back in my day. All I could think about when I smelled and smoked this is it should be tucked in my lower lip. Not sure if I will smoke any Cherry blend due to my experience with this.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

No tongue bite. A pretty fair deal at $5.99 a pouch here in Connecticut. More cherry flavor than Middletons.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

On its own I do not care for this blend. Its a bit too medicine like for my tastes. I found that if I blend one package of Cherry with four packages of Capt Black Royal, it becomes a very nice smoke and gives the Royal a nice cherry kick.

Update: Again on its own, this blend is not very good, where it shines is blending with other tobaccos. I find that one package of Cherry will flavor one pound of tobacco. Very excellent tobacco for blending but on its own, not any fun.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I personally like Captain Black Tobacco, but just not this one. I liked the flavor of cherry which was very obvious in this tobacco. It has been a while since I have tried this one, so I cannot remember if this one had a bite or not. Well I would recommend it to a beginner, because it is a step up from those drug store brands.

TobaccoOnFire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoOnFire (8)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

If you have an your mother in-law coming over for the week and you want to stay on here good side...smoke this because its about 95% room note and the rest is a very neutral flavor that reminds me of eating bread.

Unfortunately because of this flavor it leaves me wanting more from this blend.

If i could somehow get a stronger flavor out of this then this would be the perfect company smoke which to me needs to have a universally pleasant room note and taste good too...Ill keep looking.

TexasTobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TexasTobacco (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Ever broken up one of those cherry Children's Motrin tablets and smoked it? Me neither, but I'm sure that experience wouldn't be any different than smoking this stuff.

PIPE JACKAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIPE JACKAL (5)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

A little to overwhelming with the "cherry", however a small amount mixed with a whiskey cavendish isnt too bad.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

Still the best part of the Cherry to land into your mouth. Through your pipe that is. This Cherry blends has Balls. Good heavy smoke not even bad with an occasional Inhale. NOT Your usual Cherry.

OK this blend is not for the smoker looking for a soft smoke aromatic cherry blend or room pleaser. This is a fully loaded cavendish with a good amount of nicotine. You have to smoke it slow or it will bite. For a cherry blend I love this stuff smokes better in a larger bowl.

vandiabolus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vandiabolus (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

2 stars because of the room note and the availability of it. you can find it anywhere. as far as the flavor goes, i'm not sure, because i simply haven't been able to taste it yet. every puff immediately burns my taste buds and renders my tongue useless. Ive tried in a corncob, a briar, and a cherry wood, to no avail. i want to like it, but i can't...and i've been trying.

Pipe Puffington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Puffington (17)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I haven't smoked a lot of cherry tobaccos. But of the ones I have this is the worst. Wet, hot, gurgle. Tongue bite sent me to hospital...Ha. Pretty freakin scary for my first venture into cherry.

But I will say after taking some advice on letting it dry out for a week it was smokeable. The wetness, heavy aroma had disapated. I have about 96% full pouch left. I can see this one lasting a long long time. 1.5 star

jpbass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jpbass (22)

Smells great in the pouch and makes you want to dive right in. On the initial light and first few draws it's still nice, and you think you've found an awesome cherry blend. Soon this deteriorates into a weird undercurrent that reminds you of a cross between an aftertaste from cherry cough medicine or smoking a chapstick. Then the cherry disappears altogether and you taste the black cavendish, which is a good thing after suffering through the middle phase. It leaves a nasty cherry ghost in your pipe. I smoked a bowl of Prince Albert a couple hours later in the old cheap Grabow I used to try this, and until mid bowl, the cherry yuckinesss remained. I think it's finally gone. Possibly smoking a strong English blend in the pipe will completely flush the remainder out if there's still anything left. I'm just glad I didn't use a better pipe.

Live and learn, and try blends. This one is probably going in the trash tonight. I'll write off the $5.49.

Bourbon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bourbon (4)

It's better than the cheaper stuff. I tried this after Carter Hall, and enjoyed it in comparison. After stopping at a local tobacconist, I realized how much I was missing out on. This stuff is good for a beginner, as I was. It smells amazing, but the taste is disappointing. The smoke smell isn't as good as would be hoped from the small that escapes the bag, and as people said below it does taste a tad "chemically." If you're not around a tobacconist, and like tobacco that smells creepily good, this stuff is for you.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild Very Pleasant

The pouch aroma of this mixture of various cavendish-cut burleys and long-cut cavendish virginias is simply cherry. Such a dominant and penetrating sour cherry aroma it is (think cherry Kool-aid or Lik-M-Aid), that the distinctively sweet cavendish aromas are nearly sublimated by its force.

Light and brown cavendish burley and black cavendish burley bring the requisite mild creaminess, whist the virginia cavendish adds richness and an extra sweetness to an already heavily sweetened blend. Subtle as a klaxon, the clarion call of cherry trumpets its presence from first light to last puff.

Being a tour de force of cherry revelry, Captain Black Cherry certainly earns its moniker. In its components, this reminds me of 1-Q, though the cherry is cheerful enough to partially stave off the tedium which that classic can engender. As an all-day blend, it is a doubtlessly a worthy choice for sugarhounds who worship at the altar of cherry. It will immediately and unfailing ghost a briar and seemed best in medium to wide gauge chambers.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

While Captain black struck gold with Gold Label, not so with Cherry. It is sticky, sopping wet, and bitters really quickly. Smokes strangley similar to the smoker's pride cherry, except more expensive.

Thwarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thwarp (16)

. The only good thing this tobacco is good for is Potpourri. My truck smelled nice while I let this stuff sit there till I decided to toss this blend in the next dumpster I saw.

Please don't waste your money. Even if you like cherry you'll be sorely dissapointed.

None of the Capt black blends are to be reccomended for beginers as some would advise.

Just starting out? Look for a virginia blend. Carter hall makes a nice blend thats easy on the pallate and the wallet.

Shanebro123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shanebro123 (3)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

i liked it. very nice smell and a decent smoke. seemed to go out somewhat easily tho. pretty good. and it smells great. a little tongue bite but not much. give it a whirl if your low on cash or farm from a legit tobacco shop

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

This blend is infamously terrible. Here's why: It burns too damn hot, and it doesn't taste like any cherry I've ever tasted. Then again, I've never had cherries dipped in Antifreeze. This blend is extremely shaggy cut ribbons of brown paper doused in what I'm pretty sure is brake fluid, with a little cherry extract. Smokes hotter than the Devil's dong, and tastes absolutely horrid on its own. Mix a little bit of this with some black Cavendish though, and you have yourself a marginally tolerable sweet, (but still acrid) smoking tobacco. If you can't stand someone's cooking and are too embarrassed to tell them, smoke a few miserable bowls of this crap. You could take a bite out of a tire (wire mesh and all) and not give a God damn after just one volcano bowl of this "Tobacco," and I am being VERY generous calling it "Tobacco." I'd be better off smoking the bag it came in. However, with as much disdain as I have for this blend, I will give credit where it's due. I can say this: It smells absolutely wonderful, burning or not. This would make an excellent potpourri or incense. Very strong, noticeable cherry scent. It's as if a cherry tree raped you in the nose. Good for just sitting in a big room and making it smell nice, but not much else.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

This is a good, inexpensive (cheap) cherry aromatic blend that is ideal for someone starting out(with a cherry sweet-tooth). A solid prforming drugstore blend. If you don't like cherry or aromatics then don't expect to like it, obviously. A few things...

Right off you might want to try this in a corn cob pipe or other non-expensive pipe. The first few bowls definitely left my aromatic briar reeking of cherry so I switched to my trusty cobs. The flavor reeked (that word again) so strongly out of the pouch I kept the pouch in a sandwich bag so the flavor didn't infuse my other bagged aromatics.

Smoking: CB smoked smooth, cool and had a pleasant cherry taste. Cherry blend definitely got more tolerable half-way through the bag when the casing/flavorings wore off a bit. The last half of the bag I could smoke in my briar. And the wearing off casing/flavoring is of course common with aromatics. Still, a smooth, cool, pleasant smoke.

Outdoor smoking is probably best with this pungent blend. I smoked it in my home office and while the room note is very pleasant the after smell the next day reminded me of a urinal cake! Still, I walked home smoking it on a moonlit, November Boston evening last night and it was a thoroughly enjoyable smoke.

This is not a high class blend etc.. it's a drugstore blend. I usually smoke all the oo-la-la upscale English/orientals and ocaasionally the big name aromatics. I certainly have smoked better cherry blends but this blend is a good cheap smoke and fun. And pipe smoking is suppose to be fun.

Piper Chris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper Chris (5)

This was the 2nd pipe tobacco I tried and compared to my previous hellish experience with Red Cap it wasn't that bad. It wasn't great either but apparently my co workers liked the smell. If you like aromatics or cherries I still wouldn't recommend this one. Still doesn't seem to be as bad as some make it out to be though.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Had to try it, it was on the shelf at the smoke shop,

Absolutely BAD.

Why would the MFG continue to make this blend?

not even worth a 2nd bowl. I just hope I can save this pipe.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

My feelings on this blend mirror those below, so no need to get into them in detail.

My review is to share a nice discovery that worked really well with this blend. I added about 75% Cornell & Diehl Kelly's Coin (any dark, strong burley would probably work) to 25% of this and got a very decent and robust tobacco flavor with a hint of cherry. I made this in small batches so the burley wouldn't just soak up the cherry syrup if stored too long. The nicotine was seriously elevated and the flavor was also amped up considerably.

Don't throw this away if you have it! Try this recipe, or add more or less of the Kelly's Coin to your taste. It's not something I'll smoke again unless I'm gifted another pouch of this from a well-meaning but unsuspecting colleague, but it saved me having to toss this mess into the nearest trash receptacle.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (26)
Mild Medium Overwhelming Very Pleasant

Smoking this is like slowly killing your pipe,smoke after smoke and it dies of a heart attack. Even though that sounds poetic its true. This artificial crap just clogged my pipe. It was all syrup, tasted like cherry cough syrup, and bit my tongue. There are pros to it of course; like all candy aromatics it smells awesome in the bag and smells just as nice when smoked. Cherry flavoring is so much like vanilla, there's good ways to make em' and bad ways to make em'. This is a bad way. Ohh for those who do want to try and brave this baccy, I would advise to smoke only in a cob, for the exact reason I aforementioned.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Overwhelming

Hi, my name is Pollyanna and this is a foul bodied, cave n' dish cherry chapstick. too bad I don't have a cowhide-tongue.

ribbon cut is a plus for easy gifting.

Hiram Briar 23 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hiram Briar 23 (12)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

a decent alternative to prince albert. it smells pretty so your mom wont complain about the smell coming from your bedroom. I recommend getting a job and treating yourself to something better, you deserve better things man, dont let anyone tell you youll be a captain black man forever! Aspire to greater things! I believe in you! and you should too!

Boston Bill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boston Bill (11)
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Yuck. Just too everything. Burns too hot, overpowering topflavor. Almost like smoking cherry goo. Just did not like this.

mwins123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mwins123 (4)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I like Captain black white, one of my favorites, so i thought i would try the cherry. Strong smell when i opened the pouch, thought it would be nice. I was wrong. The room note was not offensive at all, but the taste was too strong. The cherry was overpowering. The taste hung in my mouth and on my tounge. It stayed in the pipe as well. I tried it later on the same day, and gave up on this cherry tobacco. Its not for me.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Extra Strong

I love capt black white, gold, and royal, but cherry was a major let down. The pouch smelled of rancid chemicals, the tobacco was nasty. and smoking yuck you get the point, Again I love capt black but not this one!

the old man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the old man (14)
Mild Very Strong Very Mild Tolerable

I opeaned the pouch, and was punched in the face by cherries. Smoked a (1) pipe of this tobacco. The tobacco was mild but the cherry taist was overwellming. After one pipe of this tobacco I could not get the cherry taist out of my pipe. After smoking several bowels full of a good english blend (my mixture 965) my pipe was back to normal.

Karok01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Karok01 (1)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

MMMMM Chapstick......thats kinda how it tastes, you can really tell there is something artificial about it. That said I still kinda like it. Would never be an all day smoke for me, but maybe every now and then. I do recommend not wasting any of your good briar on this though, maybe try it in a cob.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I've had worse. But not by much. Nasty fake cherry flavor. Only Paladin Black Cherry is lower on my list.

utahpipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
utahpipeman (6)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Ick! How many potential pipe smoker's has this pushed right out of the hobby? I'm not an aromatic hater either. If you want cherry, try something from Boswell or Tewksbury and Co. This stuff is just plain bad.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

While I'm not a great fan of CB this is the only one of the line that I can't stand at all. There's something about artificial cherries that just turns my gut sideways. If you like cherry tobacco you might like this. I didn't. I'd rather have a train run over my lips.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

gross? ?[grohs]

Show IPA adjective,-er, -est, noun,pluralgross

–adjective

1. without deductions; total, as the amount of sales, salary, profit, etc., before taking deductions for expenses, taxes, or the like (opposed to net): gross earnings; gross sales.

2. unqualified; complete; rank: a gross scoundrel.

3. flagrant and extreme: gross injustice.

4. indelicate, indecent, obscene, or vulgar: gross remarks.

5. lacking in refinement, good manners, education, etc.; unrefined.

6. large, big, or bulky.

7. extremely or excessively fat.

8. thick; dense; heavy: gross vegetation.

9. of or concerning only the broadest or most general considerations, aspects, etc.

10. Slang. extremely objectionable, offensive, or disgusting: He wore an outfit that was absolutely gross.

Please see numbers 2, 4 and 5.

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

After more than twenty years without a cherry tobacco in my rotation in a holiday's trip, I tried Captain Black Cherry and liked it, out of the bag its aroma is good, although after a couple of weeks on C.B. Cherry, I tried Pipeworks & Wilke's Cherry Cavendish and the difference is noticeable in Aroma, Flavor and Taste, C.B. Cherry is weak in flavor and taste, aroma is not too bad although at the end of your bowl the tobacco becomes a Pit Bull, let's say, full of bite, even in slow pace. I do recommend Captain Black Cherry only in that case that you cannot reach your favorite blend from your tobacconist, but from the Captain Black's line-up, White and Royal seem to be better options.

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried Captain Black Cherry twice. Once using a pipe with a carbon filter, and it didn't taste so bad. The other time was when I quit carbon filters pipes; with steel filter pipes it tasted terrible; it was so strong and you feel you are smoking anything except tobacco.

If you want cherry flavor, go get some flavored juice, biscuits or gums, but if you want to smoke pipe, I wouldn't recommend fruity flavors.

FLChrisC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FLChrisC (3)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked. It was my first pipe tobacco, in my first pipe, and I will never go back to it. The first few bowls made me think "Wow, this is a great tobacco. Great taste, smells good, my friends like it. What's not to love?" Then upon trying some mild English blends and other aromatics, I realized.."Wait a minute..that Cherry stuff sucks." If it's your first tobacco and you're a new smoker, like I am, give it a try dispite the reviews. It's a decent tobacco to start out with. But if you're a vetern smoker, don't even waste your time.

pipe pirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe pirate (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

=== ==========very tasty========== I can,t find it in any store in the town I live in.

rexinator26 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rexinator26 (19)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first tobacco that I ever smoked and it almost made me give up pipe smoking.Horrible chemical /artificial cherry flavoring.Never go back to it = NEVER

wterry00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wterry00 (1)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was looking for a good, cheap, intro tobacco. I was told by a friend that Captain Black Cherry was a good one to start with, that he had very much enjoyed it himself. Unfortunately, that was not the case for me.

Right out of the pouch, It gave off a very sweet, chemical cherry aroma. The first bowl I smoked, I thought the tastelessness of it was normal. The second bowl yielded the same. It was then I realized smoking was supposed to be relaxed and fun. But this tobacco didn't taste good, and I wasn't relaxed, or enjoying myself.

Now, I'm not saying all CB tobaccos are bad, just this one. It is my recommendation that you DO NOT purchase this product, unless you want a very unsatisfying smoke.

Cheers.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

The Captain needs to be demoted in my opinion...or reprimanded at the very least. This is the the most strongly smelling of the three CBs I have tried and the last one I'll try as well. Very flat flavor and a strong cherry aroma which smells very artificial. Though this series of tobaccos is the worst I have smoked, people just love the aroma and I have to admit when I smell someone else smoking this I think it smells nice too. Not too much smoke while smoldering and it tasted like burning plastic and Luden's cherry cough drops (Sorry Luden's but I still love you and WILL buy you again).

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Mild Pleasant

I couldn't stop myself to try a cherry. This happens more than 10 years ago. I still remember that unfortunate day in which I have made a big mistake. This is not a pipe tobacco!

YoungSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungSmoke (24)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow, this stuff is as rough as a 60 year old lady trucker. The aroma is intoxicatingly strong, it packs a punch and is almost sour smelling in the pouch. It's dry for an aromatic, can't tell ya how it smokes because I don't know if I can go back to another bowl. It's hot, it bites, and it's nasty. The only thing I can see for it is to add a pinch of it to a handful of a good black cavindish or a vanilla blend to make a decent Cherry Vanilla blend...that's what I bought it for. Other than that it has no use for anyone, If there was a real "Captain Black", even he woulnd't smoke this stuff. Hopefully no first timers try this because they will quit and miss out on the wonderful pleasure of pipe smoking.

clydeselsor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clydeselsor (1)
Very Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong

This is absolutely the worst tobacco I have ever tried!!

kyscco15 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kyscco15 (3)
Extremely Mild Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

I had to special order a six-pack of the pocket pouches, and lemme tell you, at $5/pouch, with THIS tobacco, I might as well as dipped 3 shredded $10 bills in any cherry-flavoured medicine and smoked them. The flavour of the blend is overwhelming in its cherry cough syrup taste, and it manages to leave the same lingering aftertaste. I get almost no nicotine relief out of it, so why smoke it? It tastes bad, and it don't even kill the craving.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

strongly cased tobacco yet it impress people like no other tobacco i have ever smoked ,,ppl just love it(which happens to be a key point in choosing my tobacco),,however on this occasion its ur choice(your pleasure or peoples complement) which i dont mind to be honest!! hold the fire well if left to dry and or smoked very slowly, a pipe should be dedicated as the taste will be there for quite sometime ,, you can barely find the cavendish among the casing added. try it if you like a very sweet taste to your smoke.

jon39 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jon39 (10)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Hey what can I say, you got to please the folks around you in a close knit situation. Everytime I smoke this in public, I always have people saying "oh that smells so good, smells like grandpa". I only smoke this when I have to keep the peace! You got to admit, it does smell great, the taste, well, you know.

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (22)
Very Mild Very Strong Full Pleasant

I love it and sadly miss it being imported to Israel. In a few weeks time I will be in America where I can buy the share of everyone who doesn't like it. I'm always open to gifts being sent to me of unwanted portions!

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

The second, and last cherry blend I will ever try. Tasted like chemicals. Couldn't even make it through the second chance bowl. A friend of mine once described his experience smoking a hookah by comparing it to smoking crushed up car air freshners. Yeah - this is like that.

Flintlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flintlock (14)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If you like cough syrup you will love this awful tasting stuff. This is not even recommended for the beginner. Upon opening the pouch, I noticed an unnatural smell which should have told me something right there. It even smells like cough syrup. I tried a bowl anyway and had to brush my teeth afterwards. The smell is OK though, and that is the nicest thing I have to say about it.

If you like cherry flavoring, try Lane's TK-6 instead.

Update: I forgot to mention, DO NOT use a good quality pipe if you choose to smoke this stuff, use a drug store brand pipe. I do not own any cheap pipes and one of my coveted Lanes era Charatan Canadian imparted such a foul tast and smell, it had to be completely cleaned with lots of TLC.

Still another YUK! Do not waste your money on this imatation flavored and putrid stuff. Be warned!!!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I found no redeeming qualities (though not bad either) despite trying it on a wonderful vacation in a naturally wonderful place. Not even romance could save this blend for me. It will not kill you, though.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This smells good when you can get it to burn..and as an added bonus..It smokes wet & hot for those of you who may seek such an experience!

There must be better cherry tobac's out there..and I'll leave that up to other pipesters to find out. I haven't had any luck so far.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Captain Black Cherry is positively awful. Like smoking Vick's Formula 44 cough syrup.

Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

A strongly synthetic tasting blend. It is not particularly inexpensive either. There are many cherry blends that are much better than this. I'm not even sure this has tobacco in it...

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Maybe for the new pipe smoker. I used to like this tobacco, not that much anymore, but I ocasionally have the urge to smoke something cherryish well.. I'll give it a try, just because sometimes when I smoke a bowl of it, it will taste great, but unfortunately, most of the times though it tastes like cherry syrup, leaving a bitter and artificial aftertaste. I'ts easy to get tongue bite with this tibacco if not soked properly. Pepole do like the aroma though, but I guess that everyone is bound to outgrow the taste for this tobacco in the short run anyways. I stiil think is nice for novices. And I Keep some around just in case i get an urge, like when you get a craving for trash food

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A start for the novice, I dont care for the paper shredder cut that burns the same, or the severely artificial flavors that make no attempt at anything natural. But hey- gotta smoke something!

RyanM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyanM (3)

Of the two cheap cherry aromatics I have smoked (this and Palidin Black Cherry), this one is the more expensive and the lesser quality. I bought this and the other in search of a strongly cherry aromatic. The cherry flavor is somewhat elusive and fades in and out amidst a highly refined ashtray taste.

On the redeeming side, and the reason this gets two stars instead of one, the room note is unmistakably cherry. It burns evenly and is not goopy. If you're very careful, it won't even turn your tongue into extra-crispy bacon.

I probably won't buy any more of this ever again, but I will finish the pouch. The search for cherry pipe-smoking bliss continues...indefinitely, probably.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the pouch I smelled cherry bubble gum, very sweet smelling and I started to have reservations about what was in store. It packed well and lit very easily. The taste was similar to Middletons Cherry Blend, it hit me as overwhemling and quickly faded into blandness. After about 30 seconds all I could detect was a slight hint of casing. As most flavored tobaccos do, it produced a fair amount of tounge bite, but that was to be expected.

It took me a while to track this down, as it is not readily available in my neck of the woods. After going through the effort to find it I can report that it was a wasted effort. It tasted flat and sweet. Try Macbarens Cherry Ambrosia if cherry tobacco really interests you.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As far as cherry tobaccos go, this one ranks among the worst. Artificial cherry flavoring on low grade tobacco. It's dry, it bites and starts tasting pretty rank about 1/4 of the way into the bowl. This is really putrid stuff.